PDA

View Full Version : Why be a fan?

Hype Man Manu
04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
When the team is doing horrible people like to bitch and moan about how the team sucks and other teams do it way better.

When the team is mediocre then it's "That's all we'll ever be. Not going to do better than division champs".

When they are doing well... "Hopefully we at least get to the WCF. That will be enough for me. The (insert over hyped team) are going to win it all anyway."

Since when did you all become pussy Laker fans? Might as well sell the team to Seattle!

You are acting like a bunch of Jason Collins'!!!

MAN THE FUCK UP AND GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!!

GO SPURS GO!
GO SPURS GO!
GO SPURS GO!

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Fuck the defeatist threads tbh.

SpursRock20
04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
It really hasn't been mentioned until now, but it is true, there was an awful amount of negativity on these boards before the playoffs started. It's funny, the amount of difference one week can make.

ironman2886
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
It's called being Spoiled. It's hit or miss with the Spurs fanbase(Guilty as charged) and that's what happens when you have a successful sports franchise. "What have you done for me lately?"

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
It's called being Spoiled. It's hit or miss with the Spurs fanbase(Guilty as charged) and that's what happens when you have a successful sports franchise. "What have you done for me lately?"

No. It's far from being spoiled. Some faggots just accept that the Spurs are going to lose even if that series never even started or will never even happen. How faggoty fucked up is that? Fuck the defeatists.

DarrinS
04-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Meh, if everyone agreed with each other, there wouldn't be much need for ST. It would also be a pretty damn boring world.

ironman2886
04-30-2013, 10:36 AM
No. It's far from being spoiled. Some faggots just accept that the Spurs are going to lose even if that series never even started or will never even happen. How faggoty fucked up is that? Fuck the defeatists.
No. The problem is the defeatist mentality along with overconfidence. Reminds me of the meme quote, " I find that a duck's opinion of me is largely influenced on whether or not I have bread." Fair weather fans tbh.

Dex
04-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Hello and welcome to SpursTalk, where people ship their pants after every win, and meltdown after every loss. If the Spurs are having a good stretch, they are unbeatable. If the Spurs are having a bad stretch, they should go into tank mode.

Consider how the Spurs looked going into the playoffs...disorganized, injured, out of sync. Compare that to how they went into the playoffs last year, riding a 10 game win streak...or even to how they were playing early in the season. Of course the general sentiment was going to be pessimistic for a fan-base where winning championships has become the current standard of success (for better or worse).

You know what a good cure for that is? A first-round sweep of your most hated rival.

Like most sports message boards, this place is polarizing at its best, and schizophrenic at its worst. However, freedom of expression is what makes this board so special, and that means you have to take the Negative Nancies along with the Homer Harrys.

ffadicted
04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Welcome to spurstalk lol

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
No. The problem is the defeatist mentality along with overconfidence. Reminds me of the meme quote, " I find that a duck's opinion of me is largely influenced on whether or not I have bread." Fair weather fans tbh.

Anyways fuck them tbh fwiw.

London Spur
04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm not a regular poster so naturally my opinion won't be as valued as others, but it's been horrible reading this forum recently. So many miserable people who don't even seem to enjoy supporting this team. We wait all year for the playoffs to come round, why not just enjoy them instead of always looking to put a negative spin on things? It makes for depressing reading sometimes to be honest.

Mel_13
04-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Hello and welcome to SpursTalk, where people ship their pants after every win, and meltdown after every loss. If the Spurs are having a good stretch, they are unbeatable. If the Spurs are having a bad stretch, they should go into tank mode.

Consider how the Spurs looked going into the playoffs...disorganized, injured, out of sync. Compare that to how they went into the playoffs last year, riding a 10 game win streak...or even to how they were playing early in the season. Of course the general sentiment was going to be pessimistic for a fan-base where winning championships has become the current standard of success (for better or worse).

You know what a good cure for that is? A first-round sweep of your most hated rival.

Like most sports message boards, this place is polarizing at its best, and schizophrenic at its worst. However, freedom of expression is what makes this board so special, and that means you have to take the Negative Nancies along with the Homer Harrys.

:clap

Whisky Dog
04-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Just enjoy every win, how ever many there are

JRHernandez88
04-30-2013, 11:25 AM
When the team is doing horrible people like to bitch and moan about how the team sucks and other teams do it way better.

When the team is mediocre then it's "That's all we'll ever be. Not going to do better than division champs".

When they are doing well... "Hopefully we at least get to the WCF. That will be enough for me. The (insert over hyped team) are going to win it all anyway."

Since when did you all become pussy Laker fans? Might as well sell the team to Seattle!

GO SPURS GO!
GO SPURS GO!
GO SPURS GO!:lol
Shit's true though man, AMEN. Stick to your team and have some faith. Fuck everyone else :flag:

carina_gino20
04-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Where is Rappin' Shaq?

RD2191
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
:wakeup

Legacy
04-30-2013, 11:40 AM
The "championship or bust" mentality is really, REALLY fucking annoying. You're setting yourself up for MAJOR disappointment every year if you think like that, heh. I try to avoid those people/threads like the goddamn plague, seriously. They're not going to spoil MY ride--whether it's a long one or a short one, thank you. Thank God for the ignore function as well. Good Gawd!! STFU or GTFO already!!

http://i43.tinypic.com/10xsdjs.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=bg_CowSkGyeyLM&tbnid=oMW5voaT8ORuDM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com%2F3 5644478.html%3Fthread%3D5033818174&ei=SfN_UdLkEsnR2AWd0oCYAQ&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNEaheeji0PCTSi35YjjL-tBuqmTCQ&ust=1367426079554891)

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 11:52 AM
The rappin' accounts need to make an appearance in this thread btw imho fwiw.

KaiRMD1
04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry guys, it looked hopeless, my bad.

Legacy
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
^ Huh?

Oh, and I meant "disappointment" not "disappoint" in my last post. Spurs fans can also be quite OCD. :lol

BadOne
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Word. You either bleed black and silver or your love for the Spurs is surface deep.:flag:

will_spurs
04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Was a good rant until the unnecessary homophobic comment, especially towards a guy who would beat the shit out of the OP with one arm tied behind his back...

The Whopper
04-30-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm a fan so I can be absoluutely miserable while watching every playoff game.

Reck
04-30-2013, 06:43 PM
It really hasn't been mentioned until now, but it is true, there was an awful amount of negativity on these boards before the playoffs started. It's funny, the amount of difference one week can make.

That's what happens. We all react in the heat of the moment. Nothing wrong with that.

I was one of the ones who gave the Spurs a second round ceiling. And still had the same sentiment going into the playoffs but Westbrook's injury reallly has opened up Spur's path to the finals imo.

I am excited about our chances but at the same time I'm not really all in yet. Knowing the Spurs, they could as easily be knocked out in the second round so we'll just have to see.

Legacy
04-30-2013, 10:55 PM

GO SPURS GO!
GO SPURS GO!
GO SPURS GO!

Yeah... I seemed to have missed this part right here, durr, my bad. I think this comment was totally unnecessary, very ugly, tacky, and extremely ignorant & homophobic, obviously. Blech!! :td

phyzik
04-30-2013, 11:30 PM
The fact that people get upset or elated with their chosen teams performance is proof that they are fans.... They are emotionally invested..... That's what it means to be a fan.

When the Spurs lose to a "shitty" team, I get pissed.

When the Spurs win against a "powerhouse" I am on cloud nine.

I'm emotionally invested with them... I'm a fan.

TampaDude
04-30-2013, 11:36 PM
The fact that people get upset or elated with their chosen teams performance is proof that they are fans.... They are emotionally invested. That's what a true fan is.

Yup...fan is, after all, short for FANATIC.

I can deal with the Spurs giving it their all and still losing. I cannot stand it when they throw away games because of shitty play. That really pisses me off.

phyzik
04-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Now get Rappin Shaq back in the spotlight LJ.

DesignatedT
04-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Haven't you heard? All the "defeatists" are really just "realists". Anybody who thinks the Spurs actually have a chance are homers and should come to accept the reality that the Spurs window closed 5 years ago.

Sean Cagney
05-01-2013, 12:49 AM
The fact that people get upset or elated with their chosen teams performance is proof that they are fans.... They are emotionally invested..... That's what it means to be a fan.

When the Spurs lose to a "shitty" team, I get pissed.

When the Spurs win against a "powerhouse" I am on cloud nine.

I'm emotionally invested with them... I'm a fan.

YES! FORGET ANY IDIOT in here who says the are not a fan because they accept truth at times and criticize a team because they are not playing up to par! DOES NOT MAKE US Fairweather fans! We are real fans, some vent different, OP deal with it and accept it. I am more of a fan than most, yes I say negative things, but me since 93 or even earlier than that have been down for this team and been a true fan beyond belief! Nobody will ever tell me I don't bleed silver and black! PERIOD. Good post.

OP you are saying if we are negative at all and say something bad about the team we are not fans? Come on now do you feel that? If so you are dead wrong and need to see others views and when they say we suck they mean it at the time and will still be here tomorrow to root for the team win or lose! Don't read into it too much, there is hardly a bandwaggon SPURS FAN OUT THERE, sorry it's just not that popular of a team.

Sean Cagney
05-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Haven't you heard? All the "defeatists" are really just "realists". Anybody who thinks the Spurs actually have a chance are homers and should come to accept the reality that the Spurs window closed 5 years ago.

I feel our last real legit run happened last year! Stars aligned and we nearly had the team to get there! So much went right up until game three :( If you say this team can't win it all you are probably a realist, what does OP want us to say? Be delusional every year and say we will just win it! If we say we have no shot we are not real fans? No reality is reality! Spurs title window did close but I am still a huge fan! EVERY SERIES WE WIN IS A BONUS NOW! LA sweep was classic lol! I loved it.

Zzakk's Garage
05-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Got news for y'all:
SpursTalk Forum does not resemble the majority of fans in any way.

Go to the games, talk to the people around you, listen to the kids and Grannies and drunks.
THEY are loyal and roll with the punches.

Out of the hundreds of people I know--family and friends and coworkers and aquaintances--not a single one even knows SpursTalk exists.
In our minds we are important superfans but really it's just like any other online forum full of blowhards and cranks with weak reasoning skills.
Douchebags.

On the plus side, lots of cool vids and gifs and links which makes us a great resource if we share wisely.

Don't let ST affect your fan level. Go to the games, yell a bit but not so much to be annoying, buy the product, enjoy each win like it's the last....

Sean Cagney
05-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Got news for y'all:
SpursTalk Forum does not resemble the majority of fans in any way.

Go to the games, talk to the people around you, listen to the kids and Grannies and drunks.
THEY are loyal and roll with the punches.

Out of the hundreds of people I know--family and friends and coworkers and aquaintances--not a single one even knows SpursTalk exists.
In our minds we are important superfans but really it's just like any other online forum full of blowhards and cranks with weak reasoning skills.
Douchebags.

On the plus side, lots of cool vids and gifs and links which makes us a great resource if we share wisely.

Don't let ST affect your fan level. Go to the games, yell a bit but not so much to be annoying, buy the product, enjoy each win like it's the last....
Yep because no fans here are loyal and long time fans! You are correct!!!!!!! 38 posts deep and you and OP know it all! You know all off our history and we are not real fans! I am sorry but I will say to you, GOD BLESS AND GOODNIGHT....... I won't even say another word about your post.

I am sorry I am not in SA! I live in VA, been a fan since 93 or so! I can't go to games there and yell with those you mention! I guess I am not a real fan though! If I say a negative thing about this team I am not a real fan! Only kids and drunk nannies who go to games know the truth! They are real fans!

spurraider21
05-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Negativity ends around playoff time because we get a lot of new users, who are generally super optimistic and love celebrating. I was one of these last year :lol

Homeland Security
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
The Spurs beat a team of paraplegics and now some fans want to crown them. Whatever. Since the Laker series was basically a bye, when the Spurs lose to Golden State it will be for all intents and purposes a first-round loss.

dbestpro
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
If you always root for the team that wins, then you will always be a happy fan.

Hype Man Manu
05-06-2013, 10:53 AM
OP you are saying if we are negative at all and say something bad about the team we are not fans? Come on now do you feel that? If so you are dead wrong and need to see others views and when they say we suck they mean it at the time and will still be here tomorrow to root for the team win or lose! Don't read into it too much, there is hardly a bandwaggon SPURS FAN OUT THERE, sorry it's just not that popular of a team.

I am saying that I am tired of "fans" being negative all the damn time. Those bitches that complain during the good times and the bad. Grow a set of balls and when we are kicking ass then root for the damn team. If not then go find someone who has balls and gobble those balls so that you know what the hell a pair feels like.

Horse
05-06-2013, 12:54 PM
The Spurs beat a team of paraplegics and now some fans want to crown them. Whatever. Since the Laker series was basically a bye, when the Spurs lose to Golden State it will be for all intents and purposes a first-round loss.

Is a fucking wizards fan really commenting on the playoffs?

MR-Clutch
05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Was a good rant until the unnecessary homophobic comment, especially towards a guy who would beat the shit out of the OP with one arm tied behind his back...

Sean Cagney
05-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I am saying that I am tired of "fans" being negative all the damn time. Those bitches that complain during the good times and the bad. Grow a set of balls and when we are kicking ass then root for the damn team. If not then go find someone who has balls and gobble those balls so that you know what the hell a pair feels like.

Well I can see what you are saying but you are not going to change some fans! They will be how they will be. We win and they bitch yes, it's like they are spoiled and expect perfection! Spurs fans are spoiled in general though, winning for this many years makes you think it's just a given. I appreciate this team and will root for them win or lose. I get excited and upset at times when they lose, but thats just me expecting them to win. When we win though no complaining! I see things that can be worked on and faults for different series that can rear their head, but I still am happy they won.