PDA

View Full Version : Diaw/Splitter Update 4/30

BatManu20
04-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Dan McCarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen)4h (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen/status/329293183534120960)
Pop said Boris went through full practice, should be available to start the next round. Tiago "is going to take a little bit longer."

Dan McCarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen)4h (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen/status/329293387306000384)
Prepare yourself, Spurs fans: Tracy McGrady also went through a full practice.

Mike Monroe ‏@Monroe_SA (https://twitter.com/Monroe_SA)4h (https://twitter.com/Monroe_SA/status/329297769502216193)
Spurs won't play again until May 4, at earliest, per NBA official

No definitive date for Splitters return, but sounds like we might get him back in the middle of Round 2 at best unfortunately. We're getting Diaw back at least though, and Baynes should get some valuable minutes.

Side Note*: Baynes D was impressive on Howard in round one. Dwight literally couldn't move him. He's a really strong dude, and that might come in handy in the future if/when we meet up with a team like Memphis.

:flag:

spurraider21
04-30-2013, 05:40 PM
T-Mac getting a full practice in is pretty interesting. You think he's been bumped ahead of Mills or De Colo in the pecking order?

playblair
04-30-2013, 05:41 PM
blair/bonner>>>>>>>>>diaw.................

BatManu20
04-30-2013, 05:45 PM
T-Mac getting a full practice in is pretty interesting. You think he's been bumped ahead of Mills or De Colo in the pecking order?

Good question. You never know what Pop will do, but I think he should at least get a shot. He can still shoot the 3 pretty well and could create mismatches in the post if guarded by smaller players.

Whisky Dog
04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't see Splitter getting a whole lot of run even if he's healthy if we play GS. Not the best matchup for him with Lee out.

I'd see Diaw/Bonner/Blair getting run against that team since they're almost exclusively a drive and dish jump shooting type team.

Brunodf
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't see Splitter getting a whole lot of run even if he's healthy if we play GS. Not the best matchup for him with Lee out.

I'd see Diaw/Bonner/Blair getting run against that team since they're almost exclusively a drive and dish jump shooting type team.
:shootme

Bruno
04-30-2013, 06:10 PM
IMO, Splitter will be available for the first game of the second round.

capek
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Huh? He's on the team. The team had a full practice. So T-mac had a full practice. I don't think bench guys, or guys who will be on the inactive list, only go through "less than full" practice. I assume Dan was being tongue in cheek or something with that tweet.

DesignatedT
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
I agree. Splitter should be available if Game 1 starts on like Monday.

hooperflash
04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
blair/bonner>>>>>>>>>diaw.................

Brandon :rolleyes

Whisky Dog
04-30-2013, 08:17 PM
:shootme

What is wrong with what I said? It's the truth

Brunodf
04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
What is wrong with what I said? It's the truth
They are terrible vs jump shooters

exstatic
04-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Uh, they'll be checking Landry. Any/all of the trio of Bonner/Diaw/Blair are a better matchup with Landry than Splitter.

Brunodf
04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Uh, they'll be checking Landry. Any/all of the trio of Bonner/Diaw/Blair are a better matchup with Landry than Splitter.
Diaw is very good(shut down Millsap last season) but Bonner/Blair are terrible, Aldridge/Scola/Zbo/Lee/R.Anderson/Al Harrington/any stretch 4 torched us in the past.

EricB
04-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Diaw is very good(shut down Millsap last season) but Bonner/Blair are terrible, Aldridge/Scola/Zbo/Lee/R.Anderson/Al Harrington/any stretch 4 torched us in the past.

Good to see you didn't watch the first round at all.

Brunodf
04-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Good to see you didn't watch the first round at all.
...Lakers don't have a stretch 4. Odom is gone bro

superjames1992
04-30-2013, 09:06 PM
...Lakers don't have a stretch 4. Odom is gone bro
Antawn Jamison?

Whisky Dog
04-30-2013, 09:07 PM

They aren't going to be guarding Curry, they'll have the undersized front court who have been too quick for Splitter/Baynes in the past. Diaw should be the best matchup and Bonner/Blair will get a few backup minutes. When healthy Splitter will start most likely but he won't see big minutes as its a bad matchup for him.

Brunodf
04-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Antawn Jamison?
You are right! How could i forget, he shoot over 40% from 3s over Bonner/Blair
13ppg.

Brunodf
04-30-2013, 09:10 PM
They aren't going to be guarding Curry, they'll have the undersized front court who have been too quick for Splitter/Baynes in the past. Diaw should be the best matchup and Bonner/Blair will get a few backup minutes. When healthy Splitter will start most likely but he won't see big minutes as its a bad matchup for him.
I would rather play Kawhi at PF than Bonner/Blair.

Whisky Dog
04-30-2013, 10:08 PM
I would rather play Kawhi at PF than Bonner/Blair.

So you want to take the starter at the one position we're extremely thin at and put him at PF? He's far more valuable at SF in this series

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-30-2013, 10:11 PM
I think Splitter would do a great job on Landry. Carl scores two ways - in bruising post-ups (something Splitter defends well), and pick n pops from 18ft (something Splitter also defends well). I think Splitter's size and quickness (relative to his height) would give Landry fits.

TheGoldStandard
04-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I'd like to see Pop impose his will rather than dictate his lineup by what the other team is doing.

Marcus Bryant
04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
So McGrady practiced with the team.

A joke with a punch line only known to its author.

I miss Ludden.

Darius McCrary
04-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Middle of round 2
Holy crap

Brunodf
04-30-2013, 10:45 PM
So you want to take the starter at the one position we're extremely thin at and put him at PF? He's far more valuable at SF in this series
To avoid Bonner/Blair yes

Whisky Dog
04-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Their starters run a 2 SG 1 SF 1 big group so Leonard has to be on the wing to start. So then you want him in the paint when Landry comes on? Doesn't make sense. Blair/Bonner and Splitter hen healthy should do fine with Landry as long as the Spurs hit the defensive glass hard. We're not running Leonard 44 a game just so he can bang down low with Landry.

I agree Splitter could match up with Landry, but that would mean Splitter coming off the bench. We'll see if Pop wants to do that.

100%duncan
04-30-2013, 10:56 PM
What the fuck. I thought Splitter only needed 7-10 days?

sehui
05-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Splitter isn't known to be a quick healer + Pop being cautious + Splitter being banged up the entire season + first round

exstatic
05-01-2013, 06:56 AM

Landry's not a stretch 4. He's also undersized, so Blair can check him. In fact we'll need Blair's rebounding against him.

Landry would bruise and abuse Kawhi. Bad idea.

exstatic
05-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Apparently, that's been the target all along, but he's been listed as indefinite since the get go.

exstatic
05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
I think Splitter would do a great job on Landry. Carl scores two ways - in bruising post-ups (something Splitter defends well), and pick n pops from 18ft (something Splitter also defends well). I think Splitter's size and quickness (relative to his height) would give Landry fits.

Splitter is passive. Landry is aggressive. I'll use a dog analogy. You'd be throwing our Greyhound in with a Pit Bull. Landry would eat his lunch.

100%duncan
05-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Apparently, that's been the target all along, but he's been listed as indefinite since the get go.

If we get GS, Splitter can rest more. Denver, we need him imho.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Antawn Jamison?

The guy getting the most credit for defending him was Cory Joseph tbh.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Splitter is passive. Landry is aggressive. I'll use a dog analogy. You'd be throwing our Greyhound in with a Pit Bull. Landry would eat his lunch.

Clearly you haven't bothered to watch Splitter play defense.

mercos
05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Fortunately, Splitter will not be as needed in the next round as he was in the first round. Neither Denver nor Golden State have strong post players.

Darius McCrary
05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Exstatic i think Landry will eat Blair for lunch. However, i guess Landry taking shots is better than Curry.

therealtruth
05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Kawhi played pretty good defense on Gasol. He was too quick for him and his length made it difficult for Gasol to post up.

Russ
05-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Fortunately, Splitter will not be as needed in the next round as he was in the first round. Neither Denver nor Golden State have strong post players.

On the other hand, why shouldn't the Spurs make GS respond to their own size in the post?

Anyway, the Splitter ankle sprain was almost imperceptible on video. Splitter must have very little flexibility in those tendons.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Anyway, the Splitter ankle sprain was almost imperceptible on video. Splitter must have very little flexibility in those tendons.

I never actually saw it, despite rewinding over and over. I just figured the Spurs were being overly cautious, combined with a bit of CIA Pop. Bruno predicted that Splitter would be ready to play. I have a feeling he'll be showing no signs of an ankle problem. Whoever wins between Jackson and Karl will prepare for small lineups from the Spurs. Wouldn't even surprise me if he lists Splitter as "game time decision" or something then brings him off the bench 2 minutes into the game.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Glad to see Diaw is back. It's a loss for not having Tiago here, but it says middle of second round, so it's not too big of a deal.

DesignatedT
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
That's why I remain pretty optimistic about Tiago. The replay did not look bad at all. They had one view from behind where you could see his ankle and it looked really minor but then again it is Tiago we are talking about.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2013, 02:31 AM
That's why I remain pretty optimistic about Tiago. The replay did not look bad at all. They had one view from behind where you could see his ankle and it looked really minor but then again it is Tiago we are talking about.

I know this from experience, but for some reason you can tweak your ankle sometimes, particularly if you've sprained it in the past, and it really fucking hurts. Like worse than the original sprain, but it doesn't swell up or anything. I've seen Duncan do it a couple of times where he writhes on the floor for a minute and then doesn't miss the next game. Same with Parker. It was the first thing I thought when I saw Tiago go down.

DesignatedT
05-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I know this from experience, but for some reason you can tweak your ankle sometimes, particularly if you've sprained it in the past, and it really fucking hurts. Like worse than the original sprain, but it doesn't swell up or anything. I've seen Duncan do it a couple of times where he writhes on the floor for a minute and then doesn't miss the next game. Same with Parker. It was the first thing I thought when I saw Tiago go down.

Yeah, I'm not questioning if it hurt or not. Obviously Tiago was in pain and I'm sure it hurt like hell when it happened. But that kind of "tweak" has to happen on a daily basis around practice facilities in the NBA and then taking into account the trainers and treatment these pro athletes get on a daily basis, I just don't see how it would keep him out long. Who knows though.

TheCerebral1
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
The Spurs should be ready to go.