PDA

View Full Version : Favorite homemade salsas?

baseline bum
04-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Since we had a thread on store-bought hot sauce, figured I'd start one on homemade.

My favorite one to make is with chile de arbol, tomatillos, and garlic. Heat up a grip of arbol chiles in a really hot pan until you can smell them and they start darkening. Then roast some tomatillos and a couple of cloves of garlic, and blend everything with some water to a really smooth consistency. Then salt to taste. It's a nice smoky salsa that's pretty hot if you use more arbol than tomatillo. I like it kind of thin, so I put plenty of water with it.

My #2 is making pico de gallo except with orange habaneros instead of serranos and orange/lime juice together instead of straight lime. So just habanero, red onion, roma tomato, cilantro, orange juice, lime juice, and salt.

Anyone have good ones to share?

Latarian Milton
04-30-2013, 07:17 PM
garlic is good stuff imho, shit smells bad but doesn't taste so, and it's pretty good for health. i've been almost a vegan for quite a few years and i feel much healthier now than i used to be when i ate meat on a daily basis, and i feel my digestive system can no longer deal with meat tbh. for example when/if i eat some meat (not too much actually) my stomach would feel swollen like it's full of gas, and my shit would be viscuous and extremely stinky.

mrsmaalox
04-30-2013, 07:50 PM
I like a simple, fresh, chunky salsa so pico de gallo is about all I make. Jalapenos, lots of tomato, I like the red onion too, garlic, lime juice and a tiny bit of salt.

BTW did you ever find a supply of dried chiles? I had to venture out Ingram Mall last week and made it those 2 grocery stores we discussed. La Michoacana (on Culebra; it was kind of yucky) had ancho, guajillo, and arbol for $5.99-$6.99/lb. The Fiesta (on Ingram) was a much nicer store but had the same selection at same price. Not much variety in this town I guess.

baseline bum
04-30-2013, 08:46 PM
I don't ever buy jalapenos since I have no idea how hot they're going to be (thank you dumbass US farmers who created tame, flavorless jalapenos over the last 20 years). I always substitute serrano for jalapeno in any recipe that calls for it since I know how hot it'll be beforehand. One time I'll buy jalapenos and they're hot like serranos, next time I get them and they're about as hot as a tamarindo.

leemajors
04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
I don't ever buy jalapenos since I have no idea how hot they're going to be (thank you dumbass US farmers who created tame, flavorless jalapenos over the last 20 years). I always substitute serrano for jalapeno in any recipe that calls for it since I know how hot it'll be beforehand. One time I'll buy jalapenos and they're hot like serranos, next time I get them and they're about as hot as a tamarindo.

you tried growing your own? one of my bushes made it through the winter and is about to start churning out peppers, habanero made it too, and all the dill/fennel i planted has attracted a shitload of ladybugs. aphids wrecked my habanero plant last year but i have 20 or so flowers on the habanero and zero aphids on it.

baseline bum
04-30-2013, 08:58 PM
BTW did you ever find a supply of dried chiles? I had to venture out Ingram Mall last week and made it those 2 grocery stores we discussed. La Michoacana (on Culebra; it was kind of yucky) had ancho, guajillo, and arbol for $5.99-$6.99/lb. The Fiesta (on Ingram) was a much nicer store but had the same selection at same price. Not much variety in this town I guess.

Nah, I just buy them from Culebra Meat Market (for crazy prices) when I went mulattos and pasillas. HEB usually has pasillas too though.

baseline bum
04-30-2013, 09:02 PM
you tried growing your own? one of my bushes made it through the winter and is about to start churning out peppers, habanero made it too, and all the dill/fennel i planted has attracted a shitload of ladybugs. aphids wrecked my habanero plant last year but i have 20 or so flowers on the habanero and zero aphids on it.

Never thought about it in this climate. Seems like a polar opposite from the Yucatan rainforest that habaneros grow best in.

JudynTX
05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
BB, do you use a mocahete?

And how do you feel about those fruit salsa's that are becoming popular, like Pineapple and Watermelon Salsa?

Viva Las Espuelas
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Those are girly salsas.

JudynTX
05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
:D Ok, but they still taste good on a fajita taco.

Drachen
05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
:D Ok, but they still taste good on a fajita taco.

I don't like sweet on my fajitas, I hate that some places serve bell peppers or sweet onions on their fajitas.

Big Empty
05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
nice thread! Im not sure where my favorite salsa is. for dipping i really like tink-a-tacos its really garlicy, sweet & spicy. Thats what i look for

DarrinS
05-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I hate how some restaurants serve salsa warmed up. WTF?

jeebus
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Culebra Meat Market
Nasty. My uncle owns one of those and they're pretty disgusting tbh.

JoeChalupa
05-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I like my black bean salsa and also my pineapple salsa. Mouse once made a great salsa but that was years ago.

gameFACE
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
My favorite salsa is the most basic. Two large tomatoes to one jalapeno or serrano, depending on how hot I want it. I slow cook them in a pan with sesame or sunflower oil until they're good and browned. Gives it a good color. Then crush them in a molcajete or if I'm lazy, a processor. Season w/ S&P. The key is to have the right ripe tomatoes - just about squishy. It makes all the difference in the world. Other times I'll add onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, etc. But the basic is the winner if the ingredients are just right.

Now I'm gonna have to make some tonight! :tongue

baseline bum
05-02-2013, 04:52 PM
BB, do you use a mocahete?

And how do you feel about those fruit salsa's that are becoming popular, like Pineapple and Watermelon Salsa?

Nah, don't have the patience for using a molcajete. Blech on fruit salsa. Besides, habaneros and arbol chiles are somewhat sweet already.

baseline bum
05-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Nasty. My uncle owns one of those and they're pretty disgusting tbh.

The chiles I buy there are always bagged from other companies anyways. I do think they have pretty good quality manteca.

baseline bum
05-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I don't like sweet on my fajitas, I hate that some places serve bell peppers or sweet onions on their fajitas.

Damn, gotta have the onions on fajitas; that's the best part.

DPG21920
05-02-2013, 04:56 PM

I just now got into the grilled onions. Always enjoyed the flavor, but hated chewing them. Then one day, someone made me a fajita and put them on there without telling me and I really like it now.

DPG21920
05-02-2013, 05:00 PM
BB: Maybe not what you are speaking about, but I make a really great healthy "salsa" that everyone usually loves:

Black Beans
Corn
Tomatoes (diced)
All Colors of Bell Peppers (diced)
Serrano's or Jalapeno's (chopped - as many as you prefer depending on how hot you like it)
Red Onion (diced)
Mango (diced)
Green onion (chopped)
Lots of fresh squeezed lime juice (I'm talking a healthy amount here)
Cumen
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Salt

Very simple, very fresh and really great tasting.

Usually looks like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=black+bean+corn+salsa&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=V-KCUZOlBYfa0QHp14GQBg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C0%3Bd%7CIqpeC747zxMMiM%3A

I have also added Avacado and/or cilantro before as well.

DPG21920
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
It's very easy to make (just dicing and chopping) as you don't need to roast or cook anything. Just combine in bowl and mix.

If you want to go all out, you can roast the corn/season as you would if you were making elotes and then mix everything.

mrsmaalox
05-02-2013, 05:24 PM
nice thread! Im not sure where my favorite salsa is. for dipping i really like tink-a-tacos its really garlicy, sweet & spicy. Thats what i look for

I was at Tink's a few weeks ago for breakfast and that green stuff they served was delicious but sooooo hot I only used a few drops.

baseline bum
05-02-2013, 06:43 PM
I was at Tink's a few weeks ago for breakfast and that green stuff they served was delicious but sooooo hot I only used a few drops.

Like habanero hot or lots of serranos hot?

baseline bum
05-02-2013, 06:47 PM
BB: Maybe not what you are speaking about, but I make a really great healthy "salsa" that everyone usually loves:

Black Beans
Corn
Tomatoes (diced)
All Colors of Bell Peppers (diced)
Serrano's or Jalapeno's (chopped - as many as you prefer depending on how hot you like it)
Red Onion (diced)
Mango (diced)
Green onion (chopped)
Lots of fresh squeezed lime juice (I'm talking a healthy amount here)
Cumen
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Salt

Very simple, very fresh and really great tasting.

Usually looks like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=black+bean+corn+salsa&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=V-KCUZOlBYfa0QHp14GQBg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C0%3Bd%7CIqpeC747zxMMiM%3A

I have also added Avacado and/or cilantro before as well.

Black beans are highly underrated, but that salsa looks anything but simple. Looks interesting to try though, minus the mango.

DPG21920
05-02-2013, 07:06 PM
My man, it's incredibly easy. You can just use canned corn and black beans. Then you simply dice the tomatoes, bell peppers, serrano's, red & green onions. Put them all in the bowl and squeeze the lime juice all over and stir. Then mix in the seasonings.

mrsmaalox
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Like habanero hot or lots of serranos hot?

Serranos. Guess there's a hot crop.

leemajors
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM

I've been pickling onions for the last few months, they are the best

baseline bum
05-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Oh wow, I gotta try making this: can't believe it's so simple

La Fogata Salsa

1 1/4 pounds tomatoes
Scant 1/2 pound serrano chiles, stems removed
Salt, to taste

Heat 2 large cast-iron fry pans (or a comal or a large griddle), over
moderate heat. (In testing, we used 2 cast-iron skillets.)

Add the tomatoes to one pan in a single layer. Add the serranos to
the other pan. Allow the vegetables to roast, turning as needed with
a spatula, until the skins are blackened and they are cooked through.
Allow about 1 hour for the tomatoes and about 1/2 hour for the
serranos.

The tomatoes should still retain some of their juices.

When they have blackened sufficiently, remove the tomatoes and chiles
from the pans to a large bowl and set aside briefly to cool. Scrape
some of the blackened bits from the bottom of the pan in which you
roasted the tomatoes and add to the bowl. When the vegetables have
cooled slightly, pour them into the bowl of a food processor (in
batches if necessary), along with salt, to taste. Process using the
on/off pulse button briefly, to retain some texture.

Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.

mrsmaalox
05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh wow, I gotta try making this: can't believe it's so simple

La Fogata Salsa

1 1/4 pounds tomatoes
Scant 1/2 pound serrano chiles, stems removed
Salt, to taste

Heat 2 large cast-iron fry pans (or a comal or a large griddle), over
moderate heat. (In testing, we used 2 cast-iron skillets.)

Add the tomatoes to one pan in a single layer. Add the serranos to
the other pan. Allow the vegetables to roast, turning as needed with
a spatula, until the skins are blackened and they are cooked through.
Allow about 1 hour for the tomatoes and about 1/2 hour for the
serranos.

The tomatoes should still retain some of their juices.

When they have blackened sufficiently, remove the tomatoes and chiles
from the pans to a large bowl and set aside briefly to cool. Scrape
some of the blackened bits from the bottom of the pan in which you
roasted the tomatoes and add to the bowl. When the vegetables have
cooled slightly, pour them into the bowl of a food processor (in
batches if necessary), along with salt, to taste. Process using the
on/off pulse button briefly, to retain some texture.

Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.

Baseline, you don't skin your toasted veggies?

baseline bum
05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Baseline, you don't skin your toasted veggies?

Usually for tomatoes. Recipe above doesn’t seem to call for it though (found it in an old Express News article from 2000 where they went and made the salsa in the restaurant).

hooperflash
05-04-2013, 03:58 AM
My mom and her 2nd grade class were responsible for making chips and salsa the official state snack in 2003, fwiw.