PDA

View Full Version : Rockets....

Duff McCartney
07-09-2005, 11:29 PM
I read on another board that the Rockets have offered Stromile Swift their MLE. I dunno if it's true but they said it's per Fox Sports.

Can't confirm this.

Thoughts?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 11:30 PM
he can get more than that...

midgetonadonkey
07-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I also read the offered him that, but unless he is willing to take less cash, he won't take it.

SpursFanDan
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
If its true, thats a good pick up, that boy can get up. And hes still young.

midgetonadonkey
07-09-2005, 11:39 PM
If its true, thats a good pick up, that boy can get up. And hes still young.

Just because a player is young and can jump doesn't mean they can elevate them to the next level.

CalsonicKansei
07-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Yes they can, with a couple of benjamins in their bank account.

midgetonadonkey
07-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Yao isn't the player everyone thinks he will be. He is a glorified Shawn Bradley. I don't think he has the killer instict to be a truely dominant center, though he does have the talent. The rockets will continue to be a first round playoff team for years to come.

SpursFanDan
07-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Just because a player is young and can jump doesn't mean they can elevate them to the next level.

I dont think he'll be good because he can jump and hes young, I've seen him play and hes got potential, he just needs a mentor..say Timmy D?

midgetonadonkey
07-09-2005, 11:58 PM
I dont think he'll be good because he can jump and hes young, I've seen him play and hes got potential, he just needs a mentor..say Timmy D?

I didn't realize the Timmy D can mentor a Rockets' player.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 11:58 PM
he just needs a mentor..say Timmy D?

exactly why all i want in a center or sf is tall and athletic

cuz once they start working with our guys they will become bad asses

SpursFanDan
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
I didn't realize the Timmy D can mentor a Rockets' player.
its a rumor ass... he could easily be on our team. We won't know until the deadline.

mavsfan1000
07-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Yao isn't the player everyone thinks he will be. He is a glorified Shawn Bradley. I don't think he has the killer instict to be a truely dominant center, though he does have the talent. The rockets will continue to be a first round playoff team for years to come.
Stop your hating. Yao is very good. No one had an answer for him on Dallas's team. Yao is no Shaq but he is a solid center.

leemajors
07-10-2005, 01:41 AM
if he was smart he would go there. they need an athletic pf badly. playing with t-mac and yao isn't a bad deal either... glorified bradley my ass. the only person that has played longer with no long rest than duncan is yao, and i doubt china will ever let him take a summer off to get some quality rest and weight training in.

Horry For 3!
07-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Swift is pretty good. He can be a good player if he is a starter. He was havin a damn good year last year when Gasol went down then Swift went down with an injury.

smeagol
07-10-2005, 02:35 AM
What kind of name is "Stromile"?

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 07:50 AM
What kind of name is "Stromile"?

irish.

maxpower
07-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Swift would be a great understudy for Horry.

boutons
07-10-2005, 08:36 AM
"What kind of name is "Stromile"?"

About the first 7 or 8 pages of Google hits on "Stromile" are only for Stromile Swift, then there is a hit for "Lena Stromile" in Shrevesport, LA, then tons more hits for Stromile Swift. Other than its rarity, hard to say much about then name "Stromile".

Probably just another attempt by a Mamma to give her kid the weirdest-ass name of the planet, cause her kid, and herself by association, are so special he needs a weird-ass handle to distinguish him for the other 6 billion.

exstatic
07-10-2005, 09:18 AM
His nickname is Slow-mile, because his basketball IQ is about 5. He is truly only an athlete that can jump out of the gym.

duncan_21
07-10-2005, 11:32 AM
His nickname is Slow-mile, because his basketball IQ is about 5. He is truly only an athlete that can jump out of the gym.

kemp was never the sharpest tool in the shed and was pretty good until he got hooked on screwin anything with 2 legs and doing drugs.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't know if the Rockets offered him anything. But I understand he met with the Knicks for a few days and they are looking to offer him the MLE. Also, if the Nets don't get Abdur-Rahim, they are going after either Swift or Marshall.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Knicks still in the race for Swift
Thursday, July 07, 2005
BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
Star-Ledger Staff

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112074272733830.xml&coll=1

Free agent Stromile Swift met with the Rockets yesterday in Houston, but his agent said the Knicks are still very much in the hunt for the Memphis forward. The agent, Andy Miller of Englewood, said he has kept in close contact with Knicks president Isiah Thomas about his client and expects the discussions to continue.

"The Knicks remain very high on Stromile's list," Miller said. "We continue to have conversations and stay in touch and communicate. We'll have to see how things evolve over the next two or three days."

Swift visited with Thomas and the Knicks over the weekend and the meetings were said to have gone very well. The one limiting factor is that the Knicks are over the salary cap and can therefore only offer Swift the midlevel exception to the cap, which is slightly under $5 million.

Another possibility would be to negotiate a sign-and-trade with the Grizzlies, in which the Knicks and Swift agree to a new contract, and then the Knicks and Grizzlies arrange a trade for him. In that instance, the Knicks could pay him more than the midlevel.

"I'm not going to get into the numbers," Miller said. "We're still exploring what would be the right fit for Stromile, to help contribute to a team to get into or strive through the playoffs and continue to help him develop his game."

The 6-9 Swift, who turns 26 on Nov. 21, has never been a regular starter in his five previous years in the NBA, but he is athletic and the Knicks think he would provide them some much-needed shot-blocking ability.

Miller has a good relationship with Thomas, which can't hurt the negotiations.

"I speak to Isiah every day," he said. "We don't only talk about Stromile. We touch base on a number of issues and give each other feedback on the status of different things we've been speaking about."

Swift said that several other teams besides the Rockets and Knicks -- both of whom are over the cap -- have demonstrated interest, and the Hawks, Cavaliers, Sonics and Magic are believed to be among them. The Nets, however, are not. Miller said he was hoping that within a few days he would have a better sense of the landscape.

"Every day brings greater clarity to the situation," Miller said.

Gummi
07-10-2005, 01:06 PM
I doubt that Stromile will accept that offer when he declined the Grizzlies offer last season and said that he wants a starting salery of $9 million a year.