PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Is Dwight Howard going to go to the Rockets?

Thebesteva
05-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm hearing some speculation on the radio that Dwight is very interested in going to the Rockets. The team is definitely making a great case for him right now, they look like a Dwight Howard away from a contender (supposedly). He stands to make nearly the same money in Houston as he would in LA, and the team looks really solid right now. But if he does this, do you guys think it turns him into an instant journeyman in his prime?

I think this guy will flush his career down the toilet if he doesn't stick to the Lakers and try to build a team around him while he develops a game.

Double-Up
05-02-2013, 03:33 PM
The chances of Dwight coming to Houston are the same as you fucking one of the bitches in your sig.

Fergie The Florists
05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
He's staying in LA bro. Personally I don't know why Houston would want this drama queen anyway. Think about it....... Houston's style of play doesn't fit Dwight...... he wants a team to slow it down, play inside out. Harden needs the ball in his hands to be effective and create the offense for everybody else using the pick and roll (something Dwight doesn't like to do) Houston has a good thing going here, Asik is the type of center they need, someone who won't whine like a bitch about his lack of post touches. Bottom line, Dwight would slow Houston down imho... he doesn't even have a good enough post game to warrant Houston changing their style of play for him.

Personally I think Houston should focus on getting J-Smoove this summer, he fits their position of need at the 4 and he fits their style of play to a T. Makes alot of sense for Houston.

LkrFan
05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
The chances of Dwight coming to Houston are the same as you fucking one of the bitches in your sig.

:rollin :lmao :rollin

/end thread

Suspect
05-02-2013, 03:44 PM
:lmao

Findog
05-02-2013, 03:59 PM
He stands to make nearly the same money in Houston as he would in LA,

No, he doesn't. Read the CBA sometime.

Kai
05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
He'll be a Rocket.

TheRealCB
05-02-2013, 04:53 PM

It has to do with the income tax in TX vs Cali.. You as a mavfan should know,it was one of the top reason 3D had a chance( :lmao )

dfens
05-02-2013, 05:02 PM
he'll stay in la .. market size + girl >>>> houston
PLUS
houston would be dumb to take him when they have asik who i might add is better than howard without the 3 goaltends and 5 elbows not whistled per game.

#41 Shoot Em Up
05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
He's staying in LA....... if he did leave, he'd go to Dallas.

Suspect
05-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Houston rather have Pau Gasoft imo

Thebesteva
05-02-2013, 07:49 PM

Prepare your anus sir, he is coming to the Rockets to shaft that franchise next.

rayjayjohnson
05-02-2013, 08:00 PM
No state taxes, dickwad

HarlemHeat37
05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
It would be a great move for both sides, tbh..

Money is the only reason for Howard to stay in LA..otherwise, there's no upside to playing with the Lakers for the next 3 years, tbh..

cjw
05-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Lakers can give him 7.5% raises instead of 4.5% and an extra year. That's the only difference. Houston (or Dallas for that matter) would let him get to free agency a year sooner and we all know how much Dwight loves milking his "Decision".

10.55% state tax in California more than offsets the higher annual raise, though players end up paying taxes all over the country based on where they play.

Venti Quattro
05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Dwight, please go to Houston.

angrydude
05-03-2013, 12:03 AM
The only way Howard would be an upgrade over Asik would be if he swallowed his pride and tried to get better offensively. Since that is never going to happen...pass

Latarian Milton
05-03-2013, 12:31 AM
joining dallas wouldn't be a bad option for him imho, he & dirk would complement each other very well and him joining dallas would immediately put the team back in contention yet again. houston would probably turn out to be even a worse fit to him than his current team imho. he has to accept a paycut in order to join dallas under the new CBA, but doesn't need to pay state tax in texas which would pretty much make up for it imho, even though LA will still be the more appealing option to a drama queen that he is

Monster1776
05-03-2013, 02:27 AM
I fucking hate Houston, but even they don't deserve that type of shit.

whitemamba
05-03-2013, 02:30 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2013, 02:33 AM
I fucking hate Houston, but even they don't deserve that type of shit.

A lot of your okies seem to hate on us....especially the tulsans. Not our fault your companies want to relocate here. They are trying to escape from all that meth imo.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Having second thoughts. If Dwight came to Houston, they would still need a PG capable of not shitting the bed, and able to lob him the ball for alley oops. Idk, going for a stretch 4 wouldn't be a bad idea either, since T-Wolves management sounds like they will pick Rubio over Love for the long term, I'd try and trade for him. Still need to find a PG though. If CP3 were to actually leave the Clippers, then hell yeah to Dwight.

Findog
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
No state taxes, dickwad

That's not going to make up for an extra contract year and $30 million, dickcheese. If that were the case, Deron Williams would've signed with the Mavs over Brooklyn.

Kai
05-03-2013, 09:05 AM
That's not going to make up for an extra contract year and $30 million, dickcheese. If that were the case, Deron Williams would've signed with the Mavs over Brooklyn.

Deron himself said the money wasn't that different because of taxes, and it played no role in his decision. He just didn't want to play for the Mavs.

Mugen
05-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Never been to Houston, but I know I'd never leave LA to go there, basketball reasons aside tbh.

Dwight leaving would be crazier than LeBron. I never thought I'd see the day when a big name FA actually LEAVES the Lakers even thought they can offer him more money. Still don't see it happening tho.

Findog
05-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Deron himself said the money wasn't that different because of taxes, and it played no role in his decision. He just didn't want to play for the Mavs.

Find the quote. It was an extra year and $25-30 million. There's no way lack of a state income tax makes those offers equivalent.

Kai
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Find the quote. It was an extra year and $25-30 million. There's no way lack of a state income tax makes those offers equivalent.

On my phone, kinda busy but I remember it was at his press conference after he signed with Brooklyn. Somebody asked about the bird rights contract playing a role in his decision. I'll try to find it later.

Findog
05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
On my phone, kinda busy but I remember it was at his press conference after he signed with Brooklyn. Somebody asked about the bird rights contract playing a role in his decision. I'll try to find it later.

IIRC, he made a big to-do about Cuban filming Shark Tank and that he felt personally insulted, but if it were the other way around and it was the Mavs who could offer him a fifth year and an extra $30 million, he would not have been insulted. The lack of state income tax narrows the gap some, but the Lakers offer will be better than anything a Texas or Florida team can offer Dwight.

Kai
05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Williams: No, it wasn't. Honestly, when I thought about my decision and talked to my agent, we never once talked about the extra money. I don't think it's as relevant as people think, because of the taxes and things like that. There's no state tax in Texas, and you've got city tax in New York. So the money wasn't that big of a difference in the four years to the five years. And I feel like barring any career-ending injury, that I'll have a chance to make that up anyway. I'll be 32. That wasn't my concern. My concern was making a basketball decision as far as the players that I was going to be around.

http://m.si.com/88642/williams-opens-up-about-howard-team-usa-nets-future-and-more/

DPG21920
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Even the state tax thing is overblow. NBA players due to the nature of their job don't just get all of their income calculated based on where they live. Since they travel, they get taxed by state so it's not like someone in TX is state tax free and a guy in BKY is not.

Kai
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Even the state tax thing is overblow. NBA players due to the nature of their job don't just get all of their income calculated based on where they live. Since they travel, they get taxed by state so it's not like someone in TX is state tax free and a guy in BKY is not.

Still a difference of at least half a season (41 home games). Cost of living can factor in as well.

There's a writeup on Clutchfans breaking it down including all the variables. If Dwight were to sign 2 more max contracts (1 more after this one), he would earn more overall playing in a non-tax state.

Banzai
05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
He's going

rayjayjohnson
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
No, that would be because the Mavs are balls and D-Will isn't stupid.

Findog
05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Still a difference of at least half a season (41 home games). Cost of living can factor in as well.

There's a writeup on Clutchfans breaking it down including all the variables. If Dwight were to sign 2 more max contracts (1 more after this one), he would earn more overall playing in a non-tax state.

The lack of state income tax is marginal. It doesn't even come close to cancelling out the extra year and $30 million more the Lakers can offer. I'd be shocked if he signs elsewhere, although given how dumb the guy is, it can't be ruled out.

Findog
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
No, that would be because the Mavs are balls and D-Will isn't stupid.

If Deron Williams thinks he's going to win a championship in Brooklyn with that roster and Billy King as his GM, he's the stupid one, not Mark Cuban.

ElNono
05-03-2013, 01:48 PM

You also need to add up the extra money on endorsements in a city like LA vs Houston.

Findog
05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
You also need to add up the extra money on endorsements in a city like LA vs Houston.

Not to mention that, as much as we non-Lakers fans hate them, they are a prestigious glamour franchise that most NBA players would give their left nut to play for. Part of why Dwight wanted out of Orlando so bad was because he didn't think his national profile was big enough. That won't be a problem playing for the Lakers.

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Didn't his endorsements drop this year in LA?

StrengthAndHonor
05-03-2013, 02:37 PM
$30 million dollars + LA Lakers exposure and Market? From a monetary standpoint, its a no brainer.

But from a basketball career standpoint, Houston is perfect for him.

* James Harden is almost the perfect Option 1B.
* Rox are filled with young talents and shooters like Harden and Parsons that can make Dwight succesful again.
* Asik is happy to do the extra dirty work and he's far better than any Lakera big man tbh.
*They have a much better platform to build around Dwight and can do it immediately unlike LA whose hands are tied w/ bad contracts w/ depleted draft picks.
*McHale is marginally better than D'Antoni but he's a big man type of guy unlike MDA who's perimeter oriented.
*Hakeem Olajuwon is tied with the franchise. Dwight has said he's training with the Dream this offseason. Why stop there? Olajuwon's influence on Dwight will be huge.
*Rox players are all young. They want to have fun and are easy going which fits Dwight's personality.
*Harden is known to throw great parties on his yacht. Kobe is a family man that watches a lot of games on his spare time.
*Less pressure in Houston. Look at J Lin situation. Media is also friendlier.
*Fans will also welcome you with open arms unlike in LA where you're the scapegoat especially once Gasol bolts.
*Houston Texas women>>>> Fake and pretentious LA women.

Lakers outlook

Nash is 40 y/o. Run!!!
Kobe may not return next year. Good chance you'll be playing with scrubs
And if he returns, you can be sure it will be another long season where he tries to prove his critics wrong.
D'Antoni is still your head coach
Jim Buss is still the owner
Lakers fans who are 90% Kobe fans. Who would want to play in a building that chants MVP everytime Kobe's on the floor regardless if you're playing a lot bettee than him?

ElNono
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Didn't his endorsements drop this year in LA?

No idea... hate every one of his commercials though...

FuzzyLumpkins
05-03-2013, 02:41 PM
:lol Asik and Howard on the court at the same time. Your bigs never have to leave the paint. crash some perimeter players down low and force them to make interior passes with the little guys going for swipes. If that doesn't work wrap them up and deal with the 50% FT's.

Findog
05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Lakers outlook

Nash is 40 y/o. Run!!!
Kobe may not return next year. Good chance you'll be playing with scrubs
And if he returns, you can be sure it will be another long season where he tries to prove his critics wrong.
D'Antoni is still your head coach
Jim Buss is still the owner
Lakers fans who are 90% Kobe fans. Who would want to play in a building that chants MVP everytime Kobe's on the floor regardless if you're playing a lot bettee than him?

All of that is temporary. The Lakers ALWAYS ALWAYS get bailed out in the rare circumstance that they have a down year. I'd need to check basketball reference but over the last 30 years I think they've missed the playoffs like 2 or 3 times. Whether it's a FA signing or a lopsided trade, the Lakers don't stay mired in mediocrity for very long. They have an aging, expensive roster but those are just temporary circumstances.

Heath Ledger
05-03-2013, 04:14 PM
pfffttttttt

djohn2oo8
05-03-2013, 04:19 PM
All of that is temporary. The Lakers ALWAYS ALWAYS get bailed out in the rare circumstance that they have a down year. I'd need to check basketball reference but over the last 30 years I think they've missed the playoffs like 2 or 3 times. Whether it's a FA signing or a lopsided trade, the Lakers don't stay mired in mediocrity for very long. They have an aging, expensive roster but those are just temporary circumstances.

Jim Buss is permanent.

BatManu20
05-03-2013, 04:42 PM
He's not going anywhere.. he'll be a Laker for a while.

Kai
05-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Dwight's prime isn't permanent. If your pitch is "Waste the rest of your twenties for a chance to get someone that can possibly be as good as James Harden"' you're doing it wrong.

Legacy
05-03-2013, 04:48 PM
He's not going anywhere.. he'll be a Laker for a while.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Dwight's prime isn't permanent. If your pitch is "Waste the rest of your twenties for a chance to get someone that can possibly be as good as James Harden"' you're doing it wrong.

If he stays then he stays. Nothing wrong with that, just L.A will be paying 3 different head coaches :lol

Thebesteva
05-30-2013, 02:36 AM

What'd I tell you boy? Chances looking good

TOODOOLOO Moderfockerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrr

Killakobe81
05-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Mehh want Dwight to stay not at megmax let hum go but get something back in return ...he gets his extra year, Rox will have shitty contract in a few years but get the last good years he has left.

whitemamba
05-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Mehh want Dwight to stay not at megmax let hum go but get something back in return ...he gets his extra year, Rox will have shitty contract in a few years but get the last good years he has left.

sup killa?

djohn2oo8
05-30-2013, 01:43 PM

Dwight would just opt out of that 5th year anyway. It's been alleged that he says himself that most people opt out of 5 year deals, and the extra year isn't that important. Plus Rockets have no reason to do a SnT, which has been stated they want to sign him outright. If he gives them indication that he wants to be there, they can move pieces beforehand.

whitemamba
05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
dwight wants the most money, and he is getting that in LA, i dont think he gives up the extra 30 mill tbh

djohn2oo8
05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
dwight wants the most money, and he is getting that in LA, i dont think he gives up the extra 30 mill tbh

While maybe true, over a four year deal in Texas vs Cali, he'd save 8 million in taxes. I believe he'll opt out of the 5th year, sign a new max deal.

whitemamba
05-30-2013, 01:57 PM
While maybe true, over a four year deal in Texas vs Cali, he'd save 8 million in taxes. I believe he'll opt out of the 5th year, sign a new max deal.

lol nice find with the taxes tbh, dont you think he saved enough when he was in orlando tbh :lol, This fucker is an attention whore too, and no bette place than here... hope this guy grows up.

Chinook
05-30-2013, 02:06 PM
There is no financial incentive for Howard to do a sign-and-trade with Houston. He doesn't get to keep his Bird rights. But for the Lakers and Rockets, an S&T agreement may be in their interests.

For the Lakers, they'd obviously have a chance to get something back for him. Even if it's just draft picks and a trade exception, that could be pretty valuable in getting some decent bench players back from bad teams in the middle of the season. If the Lakers lose out on Howard, they probably will suffer from another bad season, which may encourage them to blow up their roster. Getting back picks and saving salary would be worlds better than getting back mediocre players on long-term deals in such a scenario.

For the Rockets, trading for Howard would allow them to potentially sign another player to a big deal. If they sign a player like Josh Smith, then use some assets to trade for Howard, they could potentially get both players. This would work much more easily if they signed Howard and traded for Smith, but timing and Atlanta's front office may not allow that to happen. Also, it's possible that offering the Lakers some compensation would prevent them from offering Howard a max deal. It would be almost like S&T-ing for an RFA instead of just trying to sign him to an offer sheet. If the Lakers have some reservations about Howard's long-term future, then a couple of assets may push them toward letting him go in lieu of giving him that much money.

djohn2oo8
05-30-2013, 02:08 PM
lol nice find with the taxes tbh, dont you think he saved enough when he was in orlando tbh :lol, This fucker is an attention whore too, and no bette place than here... hope this guy grows up.

Well in regards to the taxes, he could be potentially looking at two max deals, and the last max deals. 13.3%. Texas, to the contrary, has no state income tax, meaning the $30 million difference in potential earnings suddenly becomes a bit smaller. Thus, if Howard earns $118 million over the five-year life of a new deal with the Lakers, he will pay approximately $15,700,000 in state income tax over that span.

We’ve already determined that Howard will play 49 games in states with no income tax, meaning he will play 33 games in states with a tax. If we throw in another 5 playoff games located in taxable jurisdictions, we get a total allocation of duty days of 38/270, meaning 14% of Howard’s total earnings of $87.6 million over the life of his contract – or $12.3 million — will be subject to state income tax. At an average rate of 5%, Howard will pay approximately $600,000 of state income tax over the four year period. This means that by signing with the Houston Rockets, Howard could save approximately $15.1 million ($15,700,000 less $600,000) in state income taxes on his next contract

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynitti/2013/05/23/could-state-taxes-cause-dwight-howard-to-flee-l-a-for-houston/2/

So he wouldn't be losing 30 million.

Thebesteva
05-30-2013, 02:09 PM

This. It's possible he comes back to LA but I'd bet the farm (I dont really have a farm though) on Houston. The Rockets look like the best team on paper, hungry team. Lakers are old, washed up shit bags.

My only issue with him leaving to the Rockets is they are not contenders with him. They need more help, so if he thinks that his Ben Wallace like offense will change the Rockets chances then hes got another thing coming.

djohn2oo8
05-30-2013, 02:14 PM
This. It's possible he comes back to LA but I'd bet the farm (I dont really have a farm though) on Houston. The Rockets look like the best team on paper, hungry team. Lakers are old, washed up shit bags.

My only issue with him leaving to the Rockets is they are not contenders with him. They need more help, so if he thinks that his Ben Wallace like offense will change the Rockets chances then hes got another thing coming.

How are they not contenders with him? The West will be absolutely wide open. And Harden (almost by himself) took the team to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years. Dwight/Harden pick n roll would be fuckin lethal.

Thebesteva
05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
How are they not contenders with him? The West will be absolutely wide open. And Harden (almost by himself) took the team to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years. Dwight/Harden pick n roll would be fuckin lethal.

Well for one, I truly believe this is Lebron's league for atleast another 3 years. Which is why I'm ok with Lakers rebuilding now, nobody is beating Lebron and the NBA wont allow it.

Aside from that, Dwight is a cancer man. I have been crossing my fingers for Dwight to LA since 2008, and all the warnings about him in Orlando carried over to the Lakers. Normally, guys that are cancers or controversial players seem to magically become heroes in the Lakers (Ron Artest, Shaq). Dwight has issues, and someone needs to fix this guy mentally before you can expect him to change a team.

Leon Black
05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Does it really matter??? He ain't winning shit in LA or Houston...... so who really gives a fuck

hater
05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
stay in LA Coward

please

stay in LA

I. Hustle
05-30-2013, 02:42 PM
This just in

http://fans.mybspn.com/files/2012/11/Dwight-Howard-Rockets-Jersey.jpg

Spurs9
05-30-2013, 02:50 PM
He would fit in with Harden in Houston since they like to pay $50k for STD laced prostitutes/porn stars

Thebesteva
07-15-2013, 03:06 PM

You're right....both times in this sentence :lol

Double-Up
07-15-2013, 04:28 PM
You're right....both times in this sentence :lol

LOL...what do you want, a medal of achievement?

Reverse jinx is a motherfucker isn't it??? :lol:lol:lol

2pac > Kobe
07-15-2013, 04:31 PM

:lmao

Kai
07-15-2013, 05:33 PM
He'll be a Rocket.

:toast

Michael Jordan.
07-15-2013, 05:34 PM

http://www.iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

lefty
07-15-2013, 05:39 PM
now .... :lol