PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Golden State strategy discussion

freetiago
05-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Game is scheduled for Monday the 6th which gives SA 3 days of preparation for the game
Diaw will likely be back and possibly Splitter

matchup wise im not sure if Lee can still actually play but assuming he doesnt that leaves GS either going small with Barnes at the 4 or Landry starting
starting Landry would make GS bench and frontline extremely thin but Jarret Magic Jack can make up for that for GS

if SA has the full starting 5 intact i would hope they exploit the huge size advantage and change the philosophy to include more pounding the glass and more post ups for Kawhi and Splitter who would be guarded by guys almost half a foot shorter
SAs 3 point defense will be tested
Spurs for the first 60 games were the third best 3 point defending team in the league and the worst for the last 20 games
i think it would be better to guard Steph without trapping and doubles and stick to the shooters
the rest of GS team is more one dimensional and will revert to isolations and heros

watching the Denver GS games the one thing that stood out to me was how horrible Denvers 3 point defense was
every key shooter for GS would get wide open shots with 1 pass drive and kicks
and Golden States experience or lack off really showed during this last game

EricB
05-03-2013, 12:49 AM
4 down the shit out of them.

RD2191
05-03-2013, 12:49 AM
No faith in splitter. He couldn't even score on fisher in the WCF. Tim Duncan is a beast tho.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-03-2013, 12:50 AM
I want to see Kawhi on either Curry or Jack. Those guys absolutely murder us and I can see Jack going buck wild in this series.

I think Spurs take it in 5, but they have to guard the 3 point line. Winning in Golden State will be tough, but if the Spurs can just get one road win over there, they will lock this series up in a hurry.

TheGoldStandard
05-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Spurs are hungry, gotta get some redemption from last year. It goes 5 games with the Warriors taking one in GS

exstatic
05-03-2013, 12:52 AM
No faith in splitter. He couldn't even score on fisher in the WCF. Tim Duncan is a beast tho.

Did you go to sleep last June and not watch any of this season?

DesignatedT
05-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Don't help on the two if it allows an open three.

Know when to push the ball and know when to slow the game down.

Throw an abundance of different looks at Curry throughout every game.

justinandimcool
05-03-2013, 12:53 AM
The typical Spurs defense was built for teams like the Warriors. Force the ball to one side and force the star to beat doubles. If they wanna run Curry off screens, GSW better be good at long, slow, crosscourt passes. Pound it inside and Timmy's waiting. If Curry can hit threes every night off long passes, that means we aren't closing out an acceptable level and deserve to lose.

On defense, Warriors ain't shit. Run the normal stuff, pick and roll, four down, layups and threes. Won't have a problem there.

Not too concerned with rebounding either.

Kind of concerned at the amount of open looks Danny and Matty will get all series though, tbh.

TDfan2007
4 down the shit out of them.

Bogut is horrendous at guarding the pick and roll, so I'd say we should pick and roll the shit of them, but 4 down should be used frequently as well.

TheGoldStandard
Pop can't send double teams, just play man defense and protect the 3 point line.

exstatic
05-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Rebound and defend. They've been real lazy about covering the Denver shooters, so I expect open looks. Run whoever Curry is guarding off a minimum of three screens each possession. Post him up when possible. Burn his legs up on defense.

jmanu20
05-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Slow it down to a half-court game. This team is like the SSOL Suns, except with an actual center.

Trainwreck2100
05-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Don't let Jarrett Jack score another damn career high and they should be alright

freetiago
05-03-2013, 12:56 AM
I really cant highlight how horrible the Nuggets 3 point defense was
even the current Spurs who are ranked last in the nba in the past 20 games are still leagues ahead of them in that department
the key player in this series for me is Danny Green tbh
the most suspect part of his defense is defense around screens
Klay Thompson is basically one of the best in the nba at offball play and Jack is a midrange shooter who works off of screens for those shots
if Green can match his reg season production and not be completely exposed i like the Spurs chances

also this is another series where i see Joseph playing
but i remember De Colo playing the best defense out of all the guards on Jack in one of the games this series
could be an interesting thing for Pop to think about
im also wondering who the bigs of the bench will be
this could be a series where one of Blair/Bonner can be played and do well but definitely not both at the same time
Blair has been playing so well but Landry always shits on him
I think Bonners spacing which also forces extra rotations which young teams arent great at would be more beneficial
hes also one of the better post defenders on the team statistically
and if a possession vs Golden State ends with Landry trying his bad post moves on Bonner instead of Curry shooting im ok with that

Arcadian
05-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Have the Spurs ever faced a 6th seed or worse in the Conference Semifinals? This could be the lowest seed we've faced in round 2.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-03-2013, 01:00 AM
If our 3pt defense is in mid-season form, we're good. If it's at end-of-season form, then it will be a long series.

And getting Bogut in foul trouble would be swell. He's also a prime hack-a-shaq target.

freetiago
05-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Rebound and defend. They've been real lazy about covering the Denver shooters, so I expect open looks. Run whoever Curry is guarding off a minimum of three screens each possession. Post him up when possible. Burn his legs up on defense.

that was out of plan not through bad defense
Denver has by far the worst shooters out of all playoff teams in the league

Another thing GS did that threw the Spurs off was pack and the paint and throw Thompson on Parker
they didnt go to that strategy but im sure they will vs SA
well see if Parker is really up to the challenge then

Darius McCrary
05-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Very simple:

Never leave Curry open, ever. EVER. Don't ever help defense if you are guarding him.

Kawhi on Curry will not work. So stop being stupid.

We still don't know how Duncan will play against a huge healthy Bogut. This is the true X-Factor IMO.

Hit open shots. Looking at you, Danny, Kawhi, Bonner, Diaw, etc.

Play smart, run the system, and this should be money in the bank.

mute
05-03-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm SCARED.... they have shooters, athletes, and BIGS....

TampaDude
05-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Play the inside out game with lots of P&R. Spurs in 5.

DAF86
05-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Stay home with the shooters.

itzsoweezee
05-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Curry is a horrible mid-range shooter and horrible in the paint. That works exactly into the Spurs' defensive philosophy of chasing opponents off the three-point line and living with giving up inefficient 2-pt jumpers.

The only player I'm worried about it is Jarrett Jack. Hopefully Manu holds up fine and will put a stop to that guy.

freetiago
05-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Patty Mills plays well in Golden State
if shots arent falling i think he could be moved to the active list also
his energy could be needed to spark some offense as long as he isnt guarding Curry or Jack

and Curry is the best shooter in the nba period
please dont post in this thread again

wtgspurs
05-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Spurs in 4. Book it.

FromWayDowntown
05-03-2013, 01:16 AM
I'd expect to see Jackson go right back to using Klay Thompson on Parker in the hope that Thompson's length will bother Tony sort of like Sefalosha's length bothered Tony last spring. I'm not calling Thompson even a shadow of Sefalosha as a defender, but Thompson did seem to give Parker some problems at times during the regular season matchups.

ElNono
05-03-2013, 01:16 AM
1 - Feed Tim in the post

2 - Get Bogut in foul trouble

3 - Profit

Mugen
05-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Show up tbh.

MI21
05-03-2013, 01:25 AM
I think the key to this series will be the play of our star big-man inside.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200712110GSW.html

DAF86
05-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Gonna be tougher than in paper, because of the total contrast of styles with the previous series we had with LA.

SpurPadre
05-03-2013, 01:29 AM
It comes to certain matchups for me. One thing that worries me is the last time TP played them in February, they put Thompson and Barnes on him and they Sefolosha'd him basically. Other than that, they have no answer for Manu and Kawhi but the latter needs to step up his game for this series and if so, it'll be a short one no matter what.

100%duncan
05-03-2013, 01:30 AM
1. Win the Rebounding Game.
2. Let Duncan punish those "bigs" tbh.
3. Don't let any player aside Curry get 20+.
4. Take care of the ball.

DPG21920
05-03-2013, 01:39 AM
I say you let TP defend Curry.

AusSpur
05-03-2013, 01:47 AM
I think we'll see a lot of: Parker, Ginobilli, Green, Leonard, Duncan vs Curry, Jack, Thompson, Barnes, Bogut

100%duncan
05-03-2013, 01:50 AM

This too.

HarlemHeat37
05-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Curry is a poor defender and his ankle injury limits his current ability, I'd be surprised if he covers Parker for long, tbh..

I'm expecting them to use Thompson on Parker, he's their best perimeter defender and he's given Tony trouble in the past..

Everybody has already covered the basics in this thread..the Warriors are a fundamentally flawed team, tbh..they're a streaky team that relies on gimmicky sets on both ends of the floor, tbh..they even ran zone for a large portion of the Nuggets series..

Jarrett Jack is hit or miss..his style of play often neglects the rest of his teammates and he promotes hero ball, as Dubs fans have been complaining about all year..

Thompson, Barnes and Landry are all streaky..they don't have an impressive bench, tbh..Draymond Green had a good series vs. Denver, but he's been terrible all year..Ezeli is a decent player, but nothing special..

Spurs have the talent advantage, a massive coaching advance, an experience advantage and more depth..

pookenstein
05-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Gonna be tougher than in paper, because of the total contrast of styles with the previous series we had with LA.

True, but that woulde also have been the case if we met Denver. Pop had plenty of time to prepare the team for the much faster pace in this upcoming series.

Silver&Black
05-03-2013, 02:35 AM
1- Gather Underpants
2-
3- Profit

DAF86
05-03-2013, 02:47 AM
True, but that woulde also have been the case if we met Denver. Pop had plenty of time to prepare the team for the much faster pace in this upcoming series.

Not exactly, LA couldn't shoot so we packed the paint. Denver can't shoot either so we could have used a bit of the same defensive strategy, although this time to stop the penetrations instead of the post ups.

Golden State on the other han is the best shooting team in the league.

outmap
05-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Make Curry work on D, that might slow him down offensively.
Control the pace, slow the game down.
They are thin at the frontcourt, try to get them in foul trouble.
IMHO, keys to the game are at the PF slot (Diaw, Bonner, Blair).

Whisky Dog
05-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Get physical and muscle them around. The win they had over us where Jack hit that 3 they went all out defensively and spent it all, and I can't see them doing that 4 games. Wear them down with precision and size and expose their inexperience. They've never been anywhere close to this stage before so time to raise it to a level they don't know how to reach.

Whisky Dog
05-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Have the Spurs ever faced a 6th seed or worse in the Conference Semifinals? This could be the lowest seed we've faced in round 2.

Not sure about conference semifinals, but they did face an 8th seed in the NBA finals once upon a time

spurraider21
05-03-2013, 02:59 AM
This is a series where Green/Neal need to shine. Against the Lakers, open 3 point shots for players not named Bonner were few in far between. Slowed down games, clogged lanes, etc. didnt generate tons of open shots for wing players. Danny's gotta step up and nail his looks in this series

SupremeGuy
05-03-2013, 02:59 AM
If we play like we did against LA, we got it in 5.

DAF86
05-03-2013, 03:02 AM
If we play like we did against LA, we got it in 5.

If we play like we did against LA, the Warriors will start raining threes at historical rates on us.

hooperflash
05-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Let's Go!

Cinco de Mayo coming up as well!

'13 Dubs > '07 Dubs /blue

SupremeGuy
05-03-2013, 03:58 AM
If we play like we did against LA, the Warriors will start raining threes at historical rates on us.You doubt Tony and Danny. We got that D son, no worries.

mudyez
05-03-2013, 04:00 AM
1. Offense: Just do your thing! It's true, that we should make Curry work on that end of the court, but if he defends e.g. Green, TP and Timmy have to do their thing nontheless with Green spotting up...Our offense will be great if we stick to what is working! And when we move the ball like we can, Curry has to do a lot of running, without just going through his defensive assignment.

2. Defense: Focus on Curry and maybe Thompson (Green, Leonard) and try to make Jack going heroball.

3. Tempo: Try to keep it high. That may seem weird with us having the inside advantage, but I think our bench is a lot deeper and come second half, guys like Curry should be tired especially with less rest before game1.

4. Intangibles: Bully them inside whenever possible! They don't have a lot to throw against our bigs. Go hard after rebounds, post up Timmy again and again, make them tick out!

5. Lineups: Don't go small even with Barnes playing strech4! We need Leonard against Curry and Thompson, not as a strech4 (I like him in that role but not against GS). I thing this could be a good series for Blair (yes, Blair!) as he is the guy to get those quick baskets down low rather than giving a fast team time to double and tripple. Also against Zone he seems to be the right choice (aside from Bonner to stretch it out). If Neal gets a lot of time, I hope he doesn't go into a heroball-battle with Jack. Or do I hope he does? I'm not sure. What do you think?

This should be an offensive battle with games in the 100s for both teams. Just deal with it and try to score 120! (and as a coach I'm more like a Tom Tib, than a Mike D'A :O)

Russo21
05-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Tim Duncan was Andrew Bogut's favorite player growing up. Just sayin :p: Would be hell fun for him playing against his idol. Let's hope Tim shows him he is still The Boss

will_spurs
05-03-2013, 04:09 AM
I like the idea of running Curry through tons of screens when he is defending, to tire him out. He's already a bit injured, adding fatigue to that and his shooting % will drop.

siraulo23
05-03-2013, 04:12 AM
The warriors are underrated defensively, it's gonna be a tough series for sure, winning in golden state is gonna be hard so the spurs have got to take care of business the first 2 home games

John B
05-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Look for Timmy on the post, dishing to open 3's when double team. A lot of looks for our shooters or Timmy is going to have a career high on scoring. Man-up on D. Don't see us needing to double-team anybody. Try to close on Curry however hard that may seem, but try not to give him open looks. If healthy, I'd have Diaw/Splitter or even Baynes pound on their 4 where they're a little thin, ready to dish to cutters. Tmac if played can post their smaller guards. Spurs on 4. Try to close early to rest for big match-up with Griz.

John B
05-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Oh and send "hit man" Baynes to make a hard peak on Curry, not to hurt but wobble him a little bit.

hater
05-03-2013, 04:46 AM

:lmao no TP will get destroyed by Elian GOnzales

Pop will not have it

hater
05-03-2013, 04:48 AM
The warriors are underrated defensively, it's gonna be a tough series for sure, winning in golden state is gonna be hard so the spurs have got to take care of business the first 2 home games

:tu

blkroadrunners
05-03-2013, 05:01 AM
This is a series where Green/Neal need to shine. Against the Lakers, open 3 point shots for players not named Bonner were few in far between. Slowed down games, clogged lanes, etc. didnt generate tons of open shots for wing players. Danny's gotta step up and nail his looks in this series

I see Green having a pivotal role in this series. Not only is his 3-point shooting going to be key, but his defense is vital as well, defending players like Jack/Curry/Thompson the majority of the game.

pookenstein
05-03-2013, 05:22 AM
Not exactly, LA couldn't shoot so we packed the paint. Denver can't shoot either so we could have used a bit of the same defensive strategy, although this time to stop the penetrations instead of the post ups.

Golden State on the other han is the best shooting team in the league.

OK. No argument.
I thought you were talking about slow paced Laker series vs fast paced Warriors/Nuggets series.

naico
05-03-2013, 05:24 AM
I want to see Kawhi on either Curry or Jack. Those guys absolutely murder us and I can see Jack going buck wild in this series.

No, put him on Thompson. We know what Curry brings to the table and what to expect from him. Guy can shoot 3's in traffic. You don't want to have Thompson as an extra option for their offense. Dude can ball. "eliminate" him and we'll have one less player to worry about. Kawhi is perfect for that. They match up well. I wouldn't mind seeing Manu defending Curry for some stretches. When in shape, Manu is known for staying close to his man. As long as Curry is the one with the ball in his hands he could do work on him. Green, although he might be a step slow sometimes can disturb him with those long arms of his. So i say TP/Manu/Green as possible defenders. Joseph could actually be a real asset here as he's a strong guy who can be very disruptive, so he would match up really well with Jack.

naico
05-03-2013, 05:30 AM
I like the idea of running Curry through tons of screens when he is defending, to tire him out. He's already a bit injured, adding fatigue to that and his shooting % will drop.

+ Working through screens with a bad ankle is a bitch.

chapnis
05-03-2013, 05:38 AM
1. Don't have a black coach.

2. Series sweep.

EricB
05-03-2013, 06:31 AM

Pffttt lol yeah sure they are.

z0sa
05-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Winning will be all about the backcourt matchups. If Parker can play Curry to a draw, GS will be forced to rely on extreme unknowns vs massive experience. Even Curry's experience leaves much to be desired but he has the ability to take home a W single handedly.

pgardn
05-03-2013, 06:57 AM
No need for this thread.

Unknown to many of us is the fact we are playing Memphis.

pgardn
05-03-2013, 07:13 AM
No, put him on Thompson. We know what Curry brings to the table and what to expect from him. Guy can shoot 3's in traffic. You don't want to have Thompson as an extra option for their offense. Dude can ball. "eliminate" him and we'll have one less player to worry about. Kawhi is perfect for that. They match up well. I wouldn't mind seeing Manu defending Curry for some stretches. When in shape, Manu is known for staying close to his man. As long as Curry is the one with the ball in his hands he could do work on him. Green, although he might be a step slow sometimes can disturb him with those long arms of his. So i say TP/Manu/Green as possible defenders. Joseph could actually be a real asset here as he's a strong guy who can be very disruptive, so he would match up really well with Jack.

Agree. Thompson knows this game. He does everything well. With a little more size and speed he would be their best player. Can't see them putting Curry on Parker once we start those picks. If Curry is covering Green, Green better hit some shots. A stated before, we got to make him move laterally a whole lot, start and stop a whole lot. If his ankle is really bad, this will kill it.

Mel_13
05-03-2013, 07:20 AM
The Spurs have Tim Duncan and HCA:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=duncati01&match=game&year_min=1998&year_max=2013&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=GSW&is_playoffs=N&round_is_eds=Y&round_is_edf=Y&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wds=Y&round_is_wdf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=H&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_G=&pos_is_GF=&pos_is_F=&pos_is_FG=&pos_is_FC=&pos_is_C=&pos_is_CF=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=date_game&order_by_asc=Y

cjw
05-03-2013, 07:24 AM

That's because Denver's "shooters" outside of Lawson (who already had enough of a burden on him) consisted of Corey Brewer (<30% year/career), Iggy (~32%) and Chandler (~33% career) who all have comparable percentages to our worst perimeter shooter outside of the non-Bonner bigs, Parker. Though Parker's looks are typically wide open. Shooting the Spurs' 37.6% vs. Denver's 31.1% from three equates to nearly a 10% difference in true shooting percentage. Combine that with Denver's awful foul shooting, and Golden State will get a lot less get out of jail free cards in this series.

Spur Bank
05-03-2013, 07:44 AM
I'm with justinandimcool and itzsoweezee. And Coach Pop. Do what we always do.

Curry has become massively overrated based on this one series against an average defensive team. He won't have the same room to operate against the Spurs.

Best post in the thread is quoted below.

The typical Spurs defense was built for teams like the Warriors. Force the ball to one side and force the star to beat doubles. If they wanna run Curry off screens, GSW better be good at long, slow, crosscourt passes. Pound it inside and Timmy's waiting. If Curry can hit threes every night off long passes, that means we aren't closing out an acceptable level and deserve to lose.

On defense, Warriors ain't shit. Run the normal stuff, pick and roll, four down, layups and threes. Won't have a problem there.

spurspokesman
05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=chapnis;6530577]1. Don't have a black coach.

2. Series sweep.[/QUOTE Wow man your a racist lol

milkyway21
05-03-2013, 09:27 AM
IMHO...

defense :
Limit as much as possible Jarett Jack's ball possession & open looks at the basket.
Clog the lanes for Curry.

Don't let them pass the ball around.
Kawhi should patrol the perimeter... Diaw/Duncan tandem in the middle.

Don't let GS do fastbreaks. Spurs needs control the game.

offense:

Duncan & TP will play great but Manu could be the X-factor here with his vision as facilitator & experience in making the other shooters (esp. his bench crew to contribute),& find the perfect spots to shoot from beyond the arc or perimeter. He needs to be Manu for the Spurs to eliminate the GS in 4 or 5.

Share the ball.

Limit the turnovers.

Rebound. David Lee made us pay once when he rebounded 22 against us once this yr. :cry

GSW find it hard to win @ AT&T. Continue the trend. 2-0 is a perfect way to start against that young & hungry team and lose their confidence and intimidate them a little bit.
1-1 could be scary if you go to GS arena & on the road.

just stay healthy Spurs !!! :flag:

Embedded
05-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I think we're locked-in focus-wise and we're going to do better than people think. Golden State is a fun team to watch, but they are very young and I think our defense against them will be better than their defense against us. They beat a very young Denver team. I'm pulling out the broom on this one, Spurs in 4. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD3cdcxzuZ3DoOeIOiufXLwMViwpl6F UH4gTQU2e4MSYieue6j2g

G-Dawgg
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Andrew Big-Gut is going to have a huge series...

bklynspursfan
05-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Mark Jackson wouldn't say Pop is a better coach than him on this radio show. He said better then he said "well let me not say the better coach, the more experienced coach".

JR3
05-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Dejuan Blair could be big for us in this series.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
The Nuggets did everything right, and then they decided they were the Dick Motta Mavericks and put up a three every possession. Unless the Spurs really really fail to show up in several areas, they should win this series pretty easily. I'll give the Warriors one game for hot shooting and because the Spurs will read the press clippings and come out flat once.

Old School 44
05-03-2013, 01:33 PM
On offense, just move the ball from side to side and continue to be the number one assisting team in the league. I don't think the GS youth will be able to handle all the offensive movement from a healthy Spurs team. As Sean Elliott would say, I expect an "all you can eat buffet" on offense. Make Curry work on defense.

On defense, play Curry with Parker and Joseph early, Kawhi late, if needed, for size and a change of pace. IF the game is close entering the 3rd, give Curry a bunch of different looks, traps, double teams. Don't let him take over the 3rd. Close out on the shooters. Box out Bogut.

Banzai
05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Spurs in 5...if that.

Budkin
05-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Contain Curry = teh win.

Whisky Dog
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
The Nuggets did everything right, and then they decided they were the Dick Motta Mavericks and put up a three every possession. Unless the Spurs really really fail to show up in several areas, they should win this series pretty easily. I'll give the Warriors one game for hot shooting and because the Spurs will read the press clippings and come out flat once.

I don't know, I expected them to be flat in game 4 for sure if not game 3 given the circumstances, but they came out looking pissed and determined both games. I'm not sure if that's a sign this team is extremely motivated after what happened last season or if Howard's bullshit just pissed them off. I'm hoping it's the former, and if so they might not be flat in any of these games. GS is still a good team and can win if the Spurs don't take care of business defensively.

Mr. Body
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
This is going to be a lot like the Ray Allen Supersonics teams a while ago, with Curry as a speedier Ray Allen, but without Rashard Lewis and less of a front line.

Brunodf
05-03-2013, 03:27 PM
1- 3pt D
2- PnR
3- Post up Kawhi vs smaller players

EVAY
05-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Curry will get his points. We won't stop him. But we can run him ragged and make him play defense.

My worry is Bogut hurting Tim.

Spurs Brazil
05-03-2013, 07:33 PM
1- A lot of Duncan
2 - Attack Curry
3 - Tony and CJ on Curry, Pop can't even think to put Neal and Green on him

Kidd K
05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
I hope David Lee guards Duncan instead of Bogut. Duncan will have to have the smile from his face surgically removed after the series if that's the case.

With how badly the Warriors choked in that last game against the Warriors, all their impressive play prior to that just went right out the window imo. Even at GS, Spurs just need to be close late and the Warriors will probably choke. That shit was an embarrassment.

I think the main goal is to control Curry and Jack as much as possible. Curry in particular, but not underestimate Jack like we did in the regular season. Luckily our guys aren't banged up too much right now, so I'm pretty happy with the Spurs' team health right now besides Splitter.

SpurPadre
05-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I hope David Lee guards Duncan instead of Bogut. Duncan will have to have the smile from his face surgically removed after the series if that's the case.

With how badly the Warriors choked in that last game against the Warriors, all their impressive play prior to that just went right out the window imo. Even at GS, Spurs just need to be close late and the Warriors will probably choke. That shit was an embarrassment.

I think the main goal is to control Curry and Jack as much as possible. Curry in particular, but not underestimate Jack like we did in the regular season. Luckily our guys aren't banged up too much right now, so I'm pretty happy with the Spurs' team health right now besides Splitter.

You mean like last year's Game 6 in the WCF? I wouldn't put it past us to choke games, either, unfortunately. Still, if focused, this has to be an easy series.

superbigtime
05-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Who is Manu gonna guard? That team is full of fast players. Neal and Manu cannot guard Jack or Curry.

Kawhi is gonna have to guard Thompson.

Get Bogut in foul trouble.

GSW cannot play team defense, so the more offensive ball movement by the Spurs the better.

DAF86
05-03-2013, 08:14 PM
You doubt Tony and Danny. We got that D son, no worries.

I'm not doubting anyone. I'm just saying that the Spurs defensive strategy against LAL was to pack the paint 'cause LA had no shooters. GS on the other hand is the best shooting team in the league, so we can't play them like we played LA.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2013, 08:23 PM
This is going to be a lot like the Ray Allen Supersonics teams a while ago, with Curry as a speedier Ray Allen, but without Rashard Lewis and less of a front line.

Except that Curry actually has a bum ankle and isn't being a little vagina and playing it up to get the refs to blow more whistles. His coach? Maybe, but not Curry.

spurraider21
05-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Post up Kawhi vs smaller players
:tu

The Whopper
05-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Warriors...prepare to be punched squarely in your underdeveloped testicles.

TheGoldStandard
05-03-2013, 09:47 PM
T-Mac goes for 20 and shuts down Curry :wow

justinandimcool
05-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm with justinandimcool and itzsoweezee. And Coach Pop. Do what we always do.

Curry has become massively overrated based on this one series against an average defensive team. He won't have the same room to operate against the Spurs.

Best post in the thread is quoted below.

Gee thanks man :lol We got people posting things in here the Spurs literally NEVER do. Just keep it simple.

Kidd K
05-04-2013, 12:24 AM
You mean like last year's Game 6 in the WCF? I wouldn't put it past us to choke games, either, unfortunately. Still, if focused, this has to be an easy series.

What the Warriors did and what happened with the Spurs last year were completely different ways to lose a game.

The Warriors made practically every mistake they possibly could all in a row. SA got screwed by terrible officiating all in a row. Ibaka got away with nearly a dozen obvious goaltends in the final 3 games, and late in close games they would both swallow the whistle whenever Thunder players hacked Spurs across their wrists and arms to create "steals", or hit their elbows on shots, and also call the Spurs for fouls any time a Thunder player drove to the basket and got contested whether or not there was an actual foul committed.

That isn't a choke, it's a screwjob. Spurs choking would be like they did against the Grizzlies. Against OKC? Especially game 6? They didn't choke, they got hosed.

007nites
05-04-2013, 12:34 AM
I have a feeling that Jack is going to drop bombs on in one of these games.

SpurPadre
05-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Mark Jackson indicated in a radio interview today that they are picking RJ's brain for "insider information" on Spurs' playoff basketball plans. Oooh, scary! :rolleyes Maybe Pop should reconcile with Stak5 and pick his brain for the Warriors, lol.

Man In Black
05-04-2013, 01:39 AM
_Both Curry and Bogut have nagging injuries that require treatment. The Spurs are now relatively injury free save for Tiago and his sprained ankle won't keep him down for too long plus having Diaw back gives the Spurs a rare combination of Bigs that Mark Jackson will have to figure out. Only issue is, he has a limited team ESPECIALLY since David Lee won't be 100% for this series at all.
Spurs could go the bean bryant method and make Curry work to get 1 point per shot. If he scores 35 on 35 shots, that's what Pop likes. No one else touches the ball and they become predictable. Don't let anyone else beat you on defense and when you have the ball on O, work the ball and the movement to get the best shot possible. Pop's side-to-side share the ball method will slowly erode the confidence and D schemes that the Warriors though they could employ. They don't have the health nor the defensive mindset or intensity required to what amounts to an abject lesson in consistent and relentless playoff basketball experience that Pop has at his disposal. Spurs in 5. I ain't scared. Don't get pussified because the 4-letter starts saying that Curry is unstoppable. That's all to help ratings talk and utter BS.

emanueldavidginobili
05-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I hope TP doesn't play like last time we played at their place when we lost in OT. Thompson seemed to bother him A LOT

mudyez
05-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Mark Jackson indicated in a radio interview today that they are picking RJ's brain for "insider information" on Spurs' playoff basketball plans. Oooh, scary! :rolleyes Maybe Pop should reconcile with Stak5 and pick his brain for the Warriors, lol.

I'm pretty sure that way they don't get any information about defensive rotations or effective wingplay.

Namundy
05-04-2013, 05:31 PM
They just played 86 games. Pretty sure there's not much more information they can get from RJ's retard brain that they haven't seen. Golden State knows exactly what's coming. The Spurs know that Golden State knows. The execution is what really makes the difference. The machine will not be stopped.

keywester
05-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Funny!!! Today's ESPN top NBA line items make no mention of the Spurs. I guess they have already figured it out that the Spurs have no chance. Could they be right???

wildbill2u
05-04-2013, 06:30 PM
I believe they have improved on their inside game since Bogut has returned from injuries that put him out of rotation for much of the season. Denver's bigs were supposed to have the advantage inside, but Bogut had some great contributions in points, blocks and rebounds. He's not afraid to leave the top of the key and barrel down the lane for a dunk. I wouldn't want TD to get in front of that wide load. So don't just dismiss their inside game.

We try to chase shooters off the 3 pt line and we have to do that against this team. Curry is unbelievably quick in getting a shot off out there. And he's got a good handle on drives and passes well. He is a true superstar in the making.

LakerHater
05-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Ride Tony!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJcuL6ECMAImLmi.jpg (http://www.spurstalk.com//twitter.com/LetsGoWarriors/status/330783879726247936/photo/1/large)

milkyway21
05-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Duncan & TP will play great but Manu could be the X-factor here with his vision as facilitator & experience in making the other shooters (esp. his bench crew) to contribute :tu ,& find the perfect spots to shoot from beyond the arc or perimeter. He needs to be Manu for the Spurs to eliminate the GS in 4 or 5.

clutch 3ptr for the win

11 assists

pgardn
05-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Let Mark Jackson coach.

jmanu20
05-07-2013, 12:54 AM
After Curry's 44 pt explosion, is it better to:

A) Give Curry the Amare 2005 treatment by letting him get his while shutting down the rest of the team?

OR

B) Put Kawhi on him from the get go instead of waiting until much later in the game like tonight?

Obstructed_View
05-07-2013, 01:15 AM
After Curry's 44 pt explosion, is it better to:

A) Give Curry the Amare 2005 treatment by letting him get his while shutting down the rest of the team?

OR

B) Put Kawhi on him from the get go instead of waiting until much later in the game like tonight?

Just throw bodies at him, don't double and let him shoot. He's capable of hitting 22 in a quarter, as he's done it twice this postseason, but he's yet to score 88 points in a game. It's not the 40 points from Curry that kills you, it's 26 from Jack that does it. For that matter, it wasn't his threes that really put the Spurs in trouble, it was his twos, for which the defense was really really bad.

That said, if the Spurs had bothered to rebound or hit the chip shots they missed this wouldn't have been a game.

spurraider21
05-07-2013, 01:18 AM

:hat

milkyway21
05-07-2013, 01:49 AM
30 straight GS losses in S.A. ALL DUNCAN ERA. :tu