PDA

View Full Version : that stat about warriors not winning in s.a. since 97

tony77
05-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I saw a clip of inside the NBA, and that stat came up, and they couldn't help but laugh. lets hope that streak continues. go to the 33 second mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTiS1ZoNGxI

EVAY
05-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I hope that the Spurs don't get overconfident with that stat.

Curry didn't play in one of their losses in San Antonio this season, and we lost both games on the Warrior's home court, although our big three didn't play in one of those games.

Stats like this are meaningless to me because they are just ripe for falling.

It will be such a big deal to the Warriors if they can win one game here. Remember that is what they did to Denver in that series to get started. And Denver had a better home won-loss record than we did this past regular season.

Fool's gold stat, imo.

Darius McCrary
05-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Well if anyone thinks the streak means we'll win without playing good basketball they're idiotic. But the fact that they haven't won in SA since Puffy was plotting Biggies murder is probably the biggest smack talking point inn NBA playoff history, tbh.

So its fun to keep mentioning it.

dylankerouac
05-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Gonna be a tough series, I hope our guys have appropriate fear.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-03-2013, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors got an upset win in San Antonio in this series.

Keepin' it real
05-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Reminds me of when a player goes to the free throw line, and the commentators say "He's made 84 free throws in a row!" You know what always happens next. (brick)

urunobili
05-03-2013, 04:15 PM
doesn't mean anything in the playoffs. I think that the more it's brought up, the more fuel they'll play with at the AT&T center.

Budkin
05-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Reminds me of when a player goes to the free throw line, and the commentators say "He's made 84 free throws in a row!" You know what always happens next. (brick)

Yeah but they've said this before every single game the Warriors have played in SA for the last umpteen years.

Budkin
05-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Yeah but they've said this before every single game the Warriors have played in SA for the last umpteen years.

racm
05-04-2013, 09:59 AM
GS has never played a PLAYOFF game in SA since 1992, people.

Legacy
05-04-2013, 02:40 PM
It's a good thing that I'm not really a big "stat person." Never have been, tbh.

Kidd K
05-04-2013, 02:44 PM

And? That's a self-fufilling prophecy because they mention that stuff every time they go to the free throw line. Obviously at one point when they say it, he will brick. Just like how this streak against the Warriors is mentioned every time they play at SA. No doubt it will be mentioned before they finally win one since it's mentioned every single time.

davidbowie
05-04-2013, 02:55 PM
i hate it every time they bring it up. just makes me uneasy and think about how they are probably due lol

maverick1948
05-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I hope that the Spurs don't get overconfident with that stat.

Curry didn't play in one of their losses in San Antonio this season, and we lost both games on the Warrior's home court, although our big three didn't play in one of those games.

By the same logic, we can win in Oakland as we had a better road record than Denver. What happen in the regular season means little as one or both teams had players missing in all of the games. Play the games on the court. Without DLee, Warriors are hurting inside. We can play small ball with anybody. We wont give up tons of open shots the way Denver did. We have guards that will make the GS guards play both ends of the court. So the advantage goes to Spurs.
Stats like this are meaningless to me because they are just ripe for falling.

It will be such a big deal to the Warriors if they can win one game here. Remember that is what they did to Denver in that series to get started. And Denver had a better home won-loss record than we did this past regular season.

Fool's gold stat, imo.

dmon35
05-05-2013, 05:12 PM
i hate this stat, it makes me feel like they're gonna steal one in Santonio...

LarryDavid
05-05-2013, 05:28 PM
These kind of stats are dumb. Other than Tim, what percentage of both rosters have been around for most of these?

Captivus
05-05-2013, 07:58 PM
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7040/spursgsw.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/spursgsw.jpg/)

racm
05-05-2013, 10:31 PM
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7040/spursgsw.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/spursgsw.jpg/)

The last time GS won in SA, TD was not wearing #21. Wilkins was.

Sean Cagney
05-06-2013, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors got an upset win in San Antonio in this series.

Game one would be prime for that upset in SA! I am not saying they lose the series but game one is the most dangerous IMO.

mudyez
05-06-2013, 05:47 AM
And? That's a self-fufilling prophecy because they mention that stuff every time they go to the free throw line. Obviously at one point when they say it, he will brick. Just like how this streak against the Warriors is mentioned every time they play at SA. No doubt it will be mentioned before they finally win one since it's mentioned every single time.

you are confusing "self fulfilling prophecies" with "subjective persection".

Kidd K
05-06-2013, 08:42 AM
you are confusing "self fulfilling prophecies" with "subjective persection".

I've never heard of "subjective persection". Did you mean "subjective perception"? If so, no. . .I actually did mean self-fufilling prophecy.

He was basically saying (in not so many words), that mentioning a streak jinxes the streak and will end up somehow indirectly breaking it. It's a sports fan superstition, which is a self-fufilling prophecy since any length strength is always mentioned. So no doubt, when the streak finally ends, the odds of it having been mentioned just beforehand are nearly 100%.

Such as in his example about announcers mentioning a player getting 84 free throws in a row and then bricking. Of course they just mentioned it. . .they've probably mentioned it every game he's played in during the last 2/3rds of the consecutive free throw streak. :) See what I mean now? Claiming the mention of streaks will break said streaks is a self-fufilling prophecy since nearly all streaks will come to an end, and they are usually mentioned when they apply. It doesn't make the two things interconnected.

Jimcs50
05-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Super cool if Tim Duncan grabs PA microphone in pregame warmups when Golden State is still in locker room and chants:

"Warriors, come out to play, Warriors, come out to playaaa, Warriors, come out to playaaaaaa......"

:)

Mel_13
05-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Legacy
05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
They still need to STFU and quit bringing that shit up every 2 minutes during the games. I could giva' rat's ass about that stupid ass "stat." Fucktard commentators. :smchode: :stfu