PDA

View Full Version : Coach Bud to Pistons as HC?

DPG21920
05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Y! Sources: San Antonio assistant Mike Budenholzer has emerged as a candidate for Detroit's head coaching job. http://t.co/0kTlOAR1hG

Darius McCrary
05-03-2013, 03:15 PM
That would suck

mexpurs21
05-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I hope not

Floyd Pacquiao
lets hope not

Dex
Doubt it. Not saying he wouldn't bolt for a head coaching job at the right organization...but the Pistons?

He knows he gets the keys when Pop leaves, just a matter of time.

slick'81
05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
The obvious POP replacement but does he stay until POP retires?

NASpurs
05-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Is this based on Colonel Sanders/Phil Jackson's recommendation? The bastard.

chazley
05-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Why are you guys saying I hope not? While it was be 'bad' for the Spurs, the man deserves a chance to be a head coach in this league and I would be very happy for him if he gets the opportunity.

NASpurs
05-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Why are you guys saying I hope not? While it was be 'bad' for the Spurs, the man deserves a chance to be a head coach in this league and I would be very happy for him if he gets the opportunity.

Probably because it's been said that Pop is going to retire when TD retires which isn't that faraway from now.

dylankerouac
05-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Probably because it's been said that Pop is going to retire when TD retires which isn't that faraway from now.

Truth. Bud's time might not be so far away, plus Pop needs a sabbatical soon after this next ring.

Also, Phil is helping Detroit pick their next coach. Phil just trying to tear the Spurs apart.

letmk
05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Doubt it. Not saying he wouldn't bolt for a head coaching job at the right organization...but the Pistons?

Unless something unexpected happens, Tim will play at least two more years, so does Pop. So even if he's presumed to succeed after that, it's still better for him to get some real experience before that. Plus, here we are all Spurs fans and we are biased toward the Spurs. But objectively, when Tim retires in 2 years, Tony will be 33 by then, do you think the Spurs' coaching position is that attractive?

As a Spurs fan, we love to have him waiting for chance. But from Coach B's perspective, it's better to look else where when the Spurs are still deemed as model team among NBA. Plus, AJ will always be another potential choice after Pop leaves.

Robz4000
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I hope not. Didn't he turn down the head coaching job for Houston last offseason? Would've been a better situation than Detroit is now.

BatManu20

This. He'd be a fool to leave for the Pistons HC position imo when he can have this one in 2-3 years. Wouldn't have to uproot his family either.

lurker23
If Coach Bud is ever a serious candidate for a position (e.g.- top 2 or his choice whether to take it), I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Spurs made him the "head coach in waiting" and more-or-less finalized that Pop will retire when Tim does.

Juggity
05-03-2013, 03:37 PM
As a Spurs fan, we love to have him waiting for chance. But from Coach B's perspective, it's better to look else where when the Spurs are still deemed as model team among NBA. Plus, AJ will always be another potential choice after Pop leaves.

:lmao

You want Avery Johnson coaching the spurs?

Dex
Unless something unexpected happens, Tim will play at least two more years, so does Pop. So even if he's presumed to succeed after that, it's still better for him to get some real experience before that. Plus, here we are all Spurs fans and we are biased toward the Spurs. But objectively, when Tim retires in 2 years, Tony will be 33 by then, do you think the Spurs' coaching position is that attractive?

Agree with most of this. However, going to a place like the Pistons could be career suicide. That team is locked in the cellar with little hope of getting out soon. If Bud goes there and isn't able to bust them out in one or two seasons, then he'd get fired and be regarded as just another coach who couldn't cut it.

I know it's extremely difficult for a first time coach to end up with a good team, but it's a possibility worth waiting for. Look at Pop...he lucked into getting a team with David and Tim, and is going to be a first ballot hall of famer. Compare that to, say...Vaughn, who may get ousted in Orlando if the team can't get it's shit together, and remains to be seen if he'll get a second chance.

SpursRock20
There goes his perfect coaching record.

letmk
05-03-2013, 03:40 PM
This. He'd be a fool to leave for the Pistons HC position imo when he can have this one in 2-3 years. Wouldn't have to uproot his family either.

If he wants to keep his family stable, sure it's better to stay in SA. But from the career perspective, it would not be wise to not look at other opportunities if teams are interested. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

freetiago
05-03-2013, 03:41 PM
these rumors have popped up every summer the past 2 years and hes stated hes happy where hes at
i have no doubt though that teams are salivating at the chance to get him
and if he does decide to coach somewhere else hell be a great coach

bklynspursfan
05-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Working on getting a job and assisting Pop in the playoffs. Busy man Bud must be these days lol

KL2
05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
He's been living here for years, the players and organization respect him, he knows the system, he's pretty much guaranteed the head position once Pop retires. Bud has it good here, doesn't have to deal with immature players like SAC, has a great GM and scouts to get him quality players, etc.

I can see why he'd turn other down deals, even if he does fail the first2 seasons I doubt SA would fire him like some do to their head coaches...

urunobili
05-03-2013, 04:13 PM
that'd suck

05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Bud is probably guaranteed the HC job when Pop goes. He might only have to wait one more year depending on Duncan. And to be honest, Bud would pretty much be the frontrunner for any vacant HC job so the larger the market, the more money he'll make. No one wants to live in Detroit, it'll take Brooklyn or Los Angeles (both LA teams might have vacancies soon) to lure him away.

Mugen
05-03-2013, 04:31 PM
It'd be a dumb move by Bud tbh. They've got a nice frontcourt with Monroe/Drummond but ultimately an uphill task that'll probably result in him being fired in 2 or 3 seasons anyways.

Also, he'd have to live in Detroit.

CGD
05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
They're talking about it here in Michigan. Apparently Dumars is in SA. They're also meeting with Sampson of Houston. Would suck but Bud deserves a shot.

Budkin
05-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Hopefully he stays here and takes over for Pop when he's gone.

baseline bum
05-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Because Bud's going to be the Spurs next coach in a couple of years most likely. Losing him would be a disaster for the franchise's future. It's not the same situation as Presti leaving, which I was happy for despite all his success here since RC is (hopefully) going to be the GM for a long time.

letmk
05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Agree with most of this. However, going to a place like the Pistons could be career suicide. That team is locked in the cellar with little hope of getting out soon. If Bud goes there and isn't able to bust them out in one or two seasons, then he'd get fired and be regarded as just another coach who couldn't cut it.

I know it's extremely difficult for a first time coach to end up with a good team, but it's a possibility worth waiting for. Look at Pop...he lucked into getting a team with David and Tim, and is going to be a first ballot hall of famer. Compare that to, say...Vaughn, who may get ousted in Orlando if the team can't get it's shit together, and remains to be seen if he'll get a second chance.

I'm not saying Detroit is an ideal situation, but at the same time it's not the worst for a coach. A bad team is not equal to a bad situation for a coach per se. IMHO, a team with unreasonable high expectation (Nets) from media and fans, or a team with uncoachable stars (Lakers for both) is bad for a coach.

Otherwise, when a coach has the opportunity to exert his own way of coaching, it's all good even though it's with a lottery team. Take Doc Rivers as an example, he won one Coach of the Year with the Magic, and got the chance with the Celtics after his stay with the Magic. Granted, Celtics was not that good either when they hired him, but still.

letmk
05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm not saying Detroit is an ideal situation, but at the same time it's not the worst for a coach. A bad team is not equal to a bad situation for a coach per se. IMHO, a team with unreasonable high expectation (Nets) from media and fans, or a team with uncoachable stars (Lakers for both) is bad for a coach.

Otherwise, when a coach has the opportunity to exert his own way of coaching, it's all good even though it's with a lottery team. Take Doc Rivers as an example, he won one Coach of the Year with the Magic, and got the chance with the Celtics after his stay with the Magic. Granted, Celtics was not that good either when they hired him, but still.

So for an established coach like Phil or Pop, it makes no sense to go to a bad team. But for those young coaches, going to a bad team is not a bad move at all. Plus, pragmatically, it's much less likely that a good/great team hire unproven coaches.

Clipper Nation
05-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I had a feeling Bud would get a head coaching job soon, but Detroit? Surprised he's not holding out for a better team, tbh....

baseline bum
05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I had a feeling Bud would get a head coaching job soon, but Detroit? Surprised he's not holding out for a better team, tbh....

If Bud does leave it would crack me up to see him stab sorry ass Del Negro in the back after all the whining he and Kevin O'Keefe did in 99.

50 cent
05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
If Avery were to replace Pop, I'd follow Pop and Duncan right out the door as a fan. I hate AJ.

superbigtime
05-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Detroit sucks, why would he move there when he is pretty much guaranteed to be HC after Pop retires. What NBA city is less desirable to live in?

chapnis
05-03-2013, 06:28 PM
These rumors are around every year. If he wanted to leave the Spurs organisation he would've done by now and he isn't going to leave to coach a shitty Pistons team. He'll just be head coach in 2 years when Pop goes.

Richie
05-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Gotta hope that the Spurs are straight with him about the future after Pop. Would be a travesty to keep him here and not give him the keys when Pop goes.

If he isn't going to take over from Pop, make sure he knows that and let him get a job elsewhere.

dbreiden83080
05-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Why leave now? Pop has 2 years to go MAX. Then it's his team hopefully with Kahwi to build around..

spurraider21
05-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Sloan said he might want to come back to coach. If he can wait for Pop/Timmy to retire than would be ideal. That or Adelman if Minnesota doesn't retain him when his contract expires in 2 years (I think 2)

maverick1948
05-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Gotta hope that the Spurs are straight with him about the future after Pop. Would be a travesty to keep him here and not give him the keys when Pop goes.

If he isn't going to take over from Pop, make sure he knows that and let him get a job elsewhere.

Dude, Pop is the boss. Only Peter Holt can change what he says. If Pop has not told him the job is his, I would really surprised. Bud is going NOWHERE.

justinandimcool
05-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Would be dumb, because I imagine his job security here would be ridiculous. He'd have such a grace period, he could take forever to rebuild and still be fine because of his corporate knowledge.

He'll be out of Detroit in 2 years if he takes it, tbh.

Oh well, money talks. Good for him.

100%duncan
05-03-2013, 10:34 PM
He won't do it. He'll be HC of the Spurs in 2 years anyway.

J_Paco
05-03-2013, 10:42 PM
If Bud does leave it would crack me up to see him stab sorry ass Del Negro in the back after all the whining he and Kevin O'Keefe did in 99.

Huh? What's the story behind that.

And people are really selling short the damage a front-line headed up by Drummond and Monroe can do with the right coaching. They've also got the improving Brandon Knight and another lottery pick coming up this summer. Dumars needs to make better personnel decisions and stop signing guys like Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanevua to horrible deals.

Bruno
05-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Pop retiring as the same time than Duncan is far from being a sure thing. Getting a HC position elsewhere might be the good choice for Bud instead of waiting a Pop retirement that might not happen before a long time.

Detroit has a nice very young core and a stable management so it would be a nice place to start a HC career for Bud.

houston spurs fan
05-03-2013, 11:40 PM
AJ is Pop's successor. Who cares if Bud leaves.

Dingle Barry
05-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Pop retiring as the same time than Duncan is far from being a sure thing.
Probably the first time I've ever disagreed with the great Bruno. No way Pop sticks around to coach a middle of the road team, which we will be post TD. He's definitely the kind of guy to go out on top and find other things to do. As far as I can tell, Pop isn't someone who totally lives for basketball like a Larry Brown or countless others. Dude will tour the world again, sample some vinos, and live it up.

The timing of this definitely been worked out between Pop and Bud. This isn't going to be some redux of Mack Brown/Will Muschamp clusterfuck of faggotry.

LarryDavid
05-04-2013, 12:02 AM
I was thinking Bud was always going to get the job once Pop retires. Would hate to see him go. But at the same time, nothing is guaranteed. If he feels this is a good opportunity for him, wish him the best.

houston spurs fan
05-04-2013, 12:03 AM

I think Bud winds up with Ferry in Atl when the offseason is said and done

HI-FI
05-04-2013, 12:20 AM
I really hope Bud sticks around, but like any good organization, people are always wanting a piece of it.

Only thing I hope is that whatever decision Bud makes, it's not a distraction during the playoffs (I don't think it will be), but hopefully he'll stick around here.

and please, no Avery Johnson to replace Pop. for the love of all that is holy, we can do much better than him.

Bruno
05-04-2013, 12:23 AM
No way Pop sticks around to coach a middle of the road team, which we will be post TD. He's definitely the kind of guy to go out on top and find other things to do. As far as I can tell, Pop isn't someone who totally lives for basketball like a Larry Brown or countless others. Dude will tour the world again, sample some vinos, and live it up.

It's a little old (December 2009) but that's what Pop told about his retirement:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_0912.html

Question: Hi was wondering if you plan on staying in the NBA after Tim Duncan retires? If so will you stay with the Spurs? Go Spurs Go!

Pop:(Laughs) I’ve always made a joke about the fact that Tim’s contract and my contract have always coincided as far as length, and it’s served as a real good joke. In all honesty I have no idea how long I want to keep doing it, but Timmy’s situation won’t be the factor that will make me retire or continue to coach.

I guess Pop's decision will come down to his health, his family and the pleasure he still takes to coach. The pleasure factor will be of course impacted by Duncan's retirement and Pop might not enjoy coaching Spurs after it especially if they go in full rebuild mode.

I'm not saying that Pop won't retire with Duncan but I don't see that as an automatic move.

Man In Black
05-04-2013, 01:45 AM
The Det ownership group have decided to bring in Phil Jackson as a consultant. Perhaps to be in the same role like Jerry West is in for Golden State. But, perhaps, this is just to assist them figure out what parts DET doesn't have setup properly to bring them back to the mix of contenders.

Coach Bud is good with x and o, it's the adjustment plays and pace that he still needs more seasoning. I hope he stays, but it wouldn't shock me if he left, it would seem that many under the Pop umbrella will leave eventually to see if what they learned from a master could be used elsewhere.

hooperflash
05-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Coach Bud, I fucking love you. Don't leave me, I'll change. A lot of people say I deserve better, but I don't care I want youuu.. I fucking love you, I don't want Avery... She a hoe babe. :(

mudyez
05-04-2013, 04:17 AM
I don't see Bud leaving for a job in Motown, but I'm not sure what happens if e.g. the Clippers or Knicks knock on the door (nothing would shock me and it probably would be a wise move by those teams).

He should be in a great situatio where he is and even if he leaves, I'd hope we bring him back once Pop retires.

exstatic
05-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Detroit sucks, why would he move there when he is pretty much guaranteed to be HC after Pop retires. What NBA city is less desirable to live in?

You think SA won't suck when Tim and Pop leave? You also don't live IN Detroit when you play or coach there. The Palace is in Auburn Hills, about as far away from rotting Detroit as San Marcos is from downtown SA.

Chinook
05-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Also, if Bud is still being paid as an assistant, there comes a point financially where it doesn't make sense for him to keep passing up open positions. He may want to ask for a raise, because the Spurs giving him money shows more commitment than just having an "understanding."

jjktkk
05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
If Bud doesn't think Pop will retire anytime soon, he might want to take a HC offer. The HC offers might start to slow down, if he keeps turning them down imo.

EVAY
05-04-2013, 11:36 AM
If Avery were to replace Pop, I'd follow Pop and Duncan right out the door as a fan. I hate AJ.

me too.

CGD
05-04-2013, 12:56 PM
If laker amnesty Gasol and Phil remains in the consultant role, I can see DET being the team that wins the bid. They have an ass load of money.

FkLA
05-04-2013, 04:44 PM
If the Clips come offering he should take it imo. Not sure about the Pistons, seems like he would have a short shelf life there.

jon123spurs
05-05-2013, 12:01 PM
If Coach Bud does leave do we bring back PJ?

DrunkTXLabrat
05-08-2013, 02:24 AM
Also, if Bud is still being paid as an assistant, there comes a point financially where it doesn't make sense for him to keep passing up open positions. He may want to ask for a raise, because the Spurs giving him money shows more commitment than just having an "understanding."

mega-interesting story. mega-interesting replies. spot on take.

bud's decision is a great indicator. he stays: he's getting paid and pop is riding out with timmy. he goes: pops gonna stick around post-timmy. i think the spurs organization is just too smart to have it any other way.

imo, this seasons lakers are the perfect example what the spurs would look like with no bud or pop. the lakers showed it doesn't matter what talent or coach they can bring in. if the superstar coach retires, and his right hand isn't his replacement. there's no faith in the system. owner issues, aging talent, contract issues, chemistry, etc. all so much worse.

speaking of the lakers and the post timmy era. i'd consider both mike brown and timmy possible alternatives. in the vein of pj, aj, doc, vinny, vaugn, sloan. if the worst case scenario does occur.

will_spurs
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
AJ is Pop's successor.

I'd really like to see AJ calling all of the plays from the sidelines instead of Parker. I'm sure that would work out VERY well.

K-State Spur
05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
If Drummond has discovered a legit love for the game and can build on this year, Detroit has the makings of an elite front line. Brandon Knight didn't progress as much as I would have expected in year 2, but there's still a lot of potential there. If he takes a step forward, they're really only a decent wing away from being a playoff team in the East.

Spur|n|Austin
05-08-2013, 09:39 AM
If Bud doesn't think Pop will retire anytime soon, he might want to take a HC offer. The HC offers might start to slow down, if he keeps turning them down imo.

This is true, though the ultimate scenario would be for Bud to replace Pop shortly after we win one more.

jestersmash
05-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Bud probably makes somewhere between $500,000 and $1M/year right now (the average assistant NBA coach makes $750k/year according to various, potentially unreliable sources. This figure seems plausible enough though so we'll roll with it. Bud is probably on the higher end of that spectrum given his closeness with Pop). Pop makes $6M/year, although Bud is unlikely to make that much off the bat even if he replaces Pop.

If Detroit offers him a contract for $2M, $3M or $4M/year, I can totally see bud bailing to take that job, even if it's only for a year or two. $4M-$8M in two short years would leave Bud set for life in terms of providing his family with the standard of living they were getting @ $500k-$1M/year. Plus, Bud will always have an "in" with the Spurs organization, so even if it doesn't work out in Detroit long term he can likely come back and take over the reigns once Pop is done. Plus, maybe going off to detroit will give him some much needed "practice" for being a bonafide head coach.

If the price is right, I can totally see Bud going off to Detroit even if he has no plans of staying there long term.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-28-2013, 05:13 PM
the pistons job might have been better. could have drafted burke. i really have a good feeling about burke. but in atl, man! i think there is now a strong chance of dwight going to atl to play with his buddy smith. and with coach bud at the helm... defense wins championships.