PDA

View Full Version : Where politicians falter, Manu triumphs

spurschick
07-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Where politicians falter, Manu triumphs
07/10/2005 12:00 AM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/stories/MYSA071005.2H.manucomment.47982491.html

Juan Carlos Melgar
Special to the Express-News

Buenos Aires is a city where discussion is constantly happening. The place doesn't matter; the habitants of this beautiful city get together and argue about everything.

Some say it's their Italian genes speaking, and others consider it a natural Argentinean characteristic. Topics are of a diverse assortment — local and foreign politics, the economy, television and, of course, soccer.

As a foreigner watching them, a question comes to mind: Is there an issue today, besides the greatness of soccer legend Diego Maradona, on which they all agree?

The reply is yes, and it's a four-letter word: Manu.

Manu Ginobili, the San Antonio Spurs player, has done what local politicians have been trying to do for years. Thanks to his excellent game, skills, intelligence, vision and personal charisma, Ginobili has done what seemed impossible during these turbulent times in Argentina: Through his accomplishments, he has united Argentineans.

Just after winning the NBA championship for the second time, Manu got on a plane and returned home.

First he arrived in Buenos Aires. His picture appeared on the front page of all the major newspapers, and different magazines reported extensively on his visit and successful career.

Key politicians, such as President Nestor Kirchner, were eager to have their picture taken with him. In some cases, a picture was not all they wanted.

The government of the province of Buenos Aires, the most important of the 23 that make up the country, has been searching for funds for a new basketball stadium. Officials wish to have an arena with room for 10,000 people.

Gov. Felipe Sola took advantage of the opportunity. After the picture with Manu was taken, he asked for financial aid.

"Of course, the country needs a stadium with these capacities. My foundation through private funds will help with 50 percent of the cost. I hope that many people join this good initiative," was Manu's answer.

Such actions by Argentina's new rising star are the reason he has received so much media attention. The sincerity and kindness of Manu — their "favorite foreign ambassador," as some reporters call him — have made people like Doris Larralde, a woman who didn't understand much about basketball until recently, come together and express their thoughts: "He's incredible, so positive and full of energy. In Argentina, we need more people like him."

A similar reaction occurred during a visit to his hometown of Bahia Blanca. In freezing temperatures, 3,000 fans gathered outside a supermarket to listen to Manu. His response: "Thank you for being here, welcoming me, while freezing to death. There are no words to express my gratitude to you all. It is good to be here again."

Manu visited a municipal hospital and the basketball club where his career began, Bahiense del Norte. There he offered a basketball clinic for poor kids. During his visit, filled with activities, he listened to some interesting stories.

"People told me about the rituals they made so that the Spurs could win; it was amazing. A family ate the same dinner during all of the Finals games. They are great," he said.

Before returning to San Antonio, Manu will stay in Argentina for a month. The people will restart their discussions, wait for the new basketball season to begin, and they will certainly have their fingers crossed so the Spurs can win again, making Argentina and San Antonio proud of their team — and Manu Ginobili.

Juan Carlos Melgar is a journalism student in Buenos Aires.

BruceBowenFan
07-10-2005, 11:47 AM
yea

MaNuMaNiAc
07-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Go Spurs!!! and Go Manu!!

EasilyAmused
07-10-2005, 04:27 PM
"He's incredible, so positive and full of energy. In Argentina, we need more people like him."

We just need more like him-period.

*sigh*

smeagol
07-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Who cares what goes on in Argentina!

Phenomanul
07-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Apparently Ginobili is following in David Robinson's generous giving footsteps....

Have I told you all how glad I am that Manu is a SPUR???

Hope he retires as a SPUR...
Hope he will continue being good enough to complement Tim on the way to at least 2-3 more titles....

That will more than solidify his legend.

One day a #20 will hang from the rafters... Next to #21.

drivanroca
07-11-2005, 12:10 AM
One day a #20 will hang from the rafters... Next to #21.

Nice

grjr
07-11-2005, 12:51 AM
People told me about the rituals they made so that the Spurs could win; it was amazing. A family ate the same dinner during all of the Finals games. They are great," he said.

How did they find out about my family all the way down in Argentina??

Luckily, almost everybody here likes spaghetti.