samuel adams cherry wheat
samuel adams octoberfest
samuel adams xmas ales (2 or 3 i liked)
beck's
sierra nevada pale ale
sierra nevada summerfest ale

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz or an icy Colt 45.

Shelly
07-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Bohemia.

lil'mo
07-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Sol
Mickey's
Newcastle
Pualener Hefeweizen

spurschick
07-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Dos Equis
(but I partake in Quilmes when necessary) :lol

SlovenianGuy
07-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Union, Lasko

Staropramen, Foster's, Gambrinus

Jekka
07-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Actually, I really dig the raspberry ale at Blue Star, but as for finding stuff at the store, I'd say anything New Belgium (Sunshine Wheat and Fat Tire kick ass).

07-10-2005, 04:28 PM
VK, if you like Fat Tire, look for the New Belgium (Brewer of Fat Tire) 1554. It looks like it would be real bitter as dark as it is, but is suprisingly smooth.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 04:49 PM
thanks man. i will check it out.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Now we're talking my favorite subject...

Negra Modelo
Bohemia
Heineken
Dog Fish 120 min IPA
Paulander Hefe-Weizen
Paulander Salvator
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Sam Adams Utopia (25% ABV)
Sam Adams Scotch Ale
Sam Adams Double Bock
Chimay - Any
Maudite
Anchor Steam
Red Seal Ale
Duvel
Maredsous 8 & 10
Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
Rogue - Most including the Shakespeare Stout, Dead Guy Ale and Hazelnut Brown
Arrogant Bastard Ale

And that's just the beginning...

Some people might argue that I've spent too much of my time drinking beer and they're probably right. I've done most of the beer clubs in town including the Bennighans's Copper Clover, Hills & Dale's Hall of Foam, the old Maggie's Beers Around The World and the Flying Saucer Ring of Honor. I've done the Great American Beer Festival in Denver and brewpubs are a staple of any trip to any city I take. I've also homebrewed but have been out of that game for a while but hopefully will get back in soon.

And of course, I'm always available to help put Spurstalkers on the path toward Beer Drinking Bliss or simply discussing beers over a couple someplace with my Spurstalkers with similarly inclined beer palates. If it involves good beer, someone just has to throw down a day and time.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 05:00 PM
i was told that in texas some beers cannot be carried because they are of insufficient alcohol content. this came up when i was at a store looking for some samuel adams cream stout. anyone familiar with this issue?

spurschick
07-10-2005, 05:01 PM
i was told that in texas some beers cannot be carried because they are of insufficient alcohol content. this came up when i was at a store looking for some samuel adams cream stout. anyone familiar with this issue?

wtf is insufficient alcohol content? isn't all alcohol sufficient?

iminlakerland
07-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I dont do beer

scott
07-10-2005, 05:07 PM
1554 is indeed a great brew. I notice that missing from your list is the Shiner Winter Ale and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Also nice, when in season, is the Sam Adams Double Chocolate Bock. Belhaven and Boddington's probably deserve a place on the list as well.

KewlKat00
07-10-2005, 05:10 PM
pyramid hefeweizen
shiner bock
heineken
sam adams cherry wheat
red stripe

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 05:17 PM
wtf is insufficient alcohol content? isn't all alcohol sufficient?

it's like 5%. the explanation sounded fishy to me but this was coming from the store's beer guy.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 05:27 PM
a beer i am trying now that i like is bridgeport's esb. it's supposed to be an english-style ale, not a stout.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Texas has some of the strictest and strangest laws regarding alcohol but especially beer. They cover how much shelf space (by percentage of overall space) can be devoted to one brand, what manufacturers can put on the label (including the ability to use the word "beer" on your product), marketing practices (a beer rep can stock shelves for a store but it is illegal for them to even move a single bottle of a competitor's product even if the product is in the wrong location). They also cover container sizing which is why beer has to be repacked for sale in Texas or why we can't get certain imports that use off-standard sizes (ex, 14.3 oz, 27.4 oz, etc). I wouldn't doubt an insufficient alcohol content rule although I haven't seen it and it may have to do something in combination with what is written on the label.

scott
07-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Sounds like it's a matter of the bottle having "Beer" on it, but being over the alcohol limit.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 05:56 PM
yeah, it was probably a labelling issue. the thing that sucked is that the display had a picture of one of the sam adams variety packs with the cream stout and i believe the scotch ale but the actual packages were the ones that contain the black lager, boston ale, and i believe the hefeweizen. boston ale is probably my least favorite samuel adams' variety.

that was at whole foods, btw.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Two drafts I really, really like.

Anchor Steam
Firestone Double Barrel Ale

Japanese Asahi beer is really good with spicy Korean food.

TheAdmiral#50
07-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Michelob Ultra Light
Bud Light
Fosters

Flea
07-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Modelo in a bottle
Modelo
Tecate

IX_Equilibrium
07-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Newcastle Brown Ale
Shiner Bock
Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Negro Modelo
Tecate
Dos Equis
Pacifico
Bohemia
Bavaria
Sapporo

timvp
07-10-2005, 09:12 PM
mine:

negro modelo
shiner bock

:tu

mookie2001
07-10-2005, 09:15 PM
ehh
ill admit i like american beer and light beer
and 40's
i dont like my beer to taste like chocolate or soup

bud light
mickeys
old english
old english high gravity

MannyIsGod
07-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Shiner Bock
Shiner Winter Brew
Pete's Wicked Ale
Newcastle (prefer it draft)
Anything New Belgium
Dos XX
St. Arnolds Lawnmower

Also, do any of you hefeweizen drinkers drink it with lemon slices? I tried that because it was supposed to be good, and I didn't like it one bit even though I like several hefeweizen brews.

scott
07-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I prefer an orange slice in my Hefe's.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 09:28 PM
i neglected to list tecate. it receives an honorable mention since you can get a six pack for cheap and go through it all with nary an effect on your mental faculties. for whenever you feel like volume drinking (usually on a hot ass day out by the grill). tastes kinda like 1/2 beer, 1/2 water + lime. all for $4.99.

ReverendRob
07-11-2005, 01:48 PM
What? Nobody's down with the Pabst Blue Ribbon and the Schlitz?

St Ides in the house!

ObiwanGinobili
07-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Shiner Bock (all kinds)
Modelo Negro in a bottle
Sam Adams (all kinds)
old skool Michelob.. not the "banquet" version
Bud Light

oh. and I hate heineken.

bpl
07-11-2005, 01:58 PM
bud ice budweiser that's the man beer

SWC Bonfire
07-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Some pretty good beer so far.
Free beer is my favorite, but here are some others (I generally stick to domestic, import has had too long to get skunky, esp. in bottles) :

Domestic - Shiner Bock, Fat Tire/New Belgium products, Sam Adams/SA Light, Coors light for when you're drinkin' instead of drinking.

Import - Negra Modelo, all things Tennant's & McEwan's (except the IPA), Spaten (all), Paulaner (definately all), Leffe Blonde, Chechvar/Budvar. Kronenbourg even isn't that bad, but it's about the equivalent of French Miller Lite.

I can verify that all of the european beers taste much better when they're not old. The only import I buy on a regular basis is Negra Modelo.:tu

MannyIsGod
07-11-2005, 02:08 PM
I can verify that all of the european beers taste much better when they're not old. The only import I buy on a regular basis is Negra Modelo.:tu
Yeah, thats definetly why I prefer Newcastle on tap vs bottled.

Spurminator
07-11-2005, 02:17 PM
I just got back from doing several tastings at some microbreweries in Colorado... including New Belgium (which was probably the worst of the four we went to). Made Shiner taste like Bud Ice.

My favorite was probably the Imperial Stout from the Left Hand brewery. I don't believe it's sold in Texas, unfortunately... I also liked their Dunkelweisen and the Easy Street Wheat from the Odell brewery.

Of the beers that are most readily available at the average bar, I'd say my favorites are Harp, Fat Tire, Paulaner and Killians.

SWC Bonfire
07-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Harp, Fat Tire, and Killians.

Some good beers.:tu I forgot Harp & Killians is the best beer Coors makes... although I wonder if they will make Molson in the states now since they are merging?

Sense
07-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Bud Light.

midgetonadonkey
07-11-2005, 02:42 PM
No love for Lone Star here? Actually, I'll take anything I can get a lot of cheap.

tlongII
07-11-2005, 03:51 PM
http://www.widmer.com/_images/beers/hefeweizen/mainimage.jpg

timvp
07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
http://www.widmer.com/_images/beers/hefeweizen/mainimage.jpg

http://sheep.youssouf.com/sheeplog/blogimages/Youssouf_DoubleChocolateStout.jpg

duncan_21
07-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Michelob light
bud light
and the one I drink the most of
busch light

NZHayden
07-11-2005, 08:13 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/lionred.jpg

SequSpur
07-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Free

Johnny Tightlips
07-11-2005, 08:39 PM
who says i been drinkin' beer?

JoeChalupa
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Miller Tall Boys.

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2005, 09:18 PM
VB = whole state of victoria drinks this lil beauty victoria bitter
asahi = nice drink goes down well
crown lager = all about the looks
crownies = chicks dig guys with this drinks dunno why all about the looks again
carlton draught = goes down well

Im more of a booze/grog drinker then a spirits drinker, tryin to obtain a gut :D :D

NZHayden
07-12-2005, 06:16 AM
haha i just heard this joke.
"my favorite beer? the next one!"

batman2883
07-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Corona
Guiness
Modelo
Hieniken

polandprzem
07-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Zywiec

Dos
07-12-2005, 08:57 AM
paulinar heff /w a slice of lemon
pyramid heff /w a slice of lemon
youngs double chocolate
chimay red label
Spaten Dark

wish I could get ahold of some pryamid heff around here... damm!!

Notorious H.O.P.
07-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey Manny, since Jekka has had the raspberry, I imagine you've been to Blue Star. What do you think of their brews? I try to get down there at least 2-3 times a month and every First Friday. I lament the fact that we only have one brewpub in SA (the Dodging Duck in Boerne is good but pricey). The Lab was a good place to hang out but the beer was rank.

I usually do an orange slice in my white ales and pale ryes. When drinking hefe, I'll drinking it about halfway down and then just squeeze a hint of lemon in there and drop it in the glass. The key in not to put to much or you'll kill the flavor of the beer.

Dos, are you in SA? I've seen Pyramid around in the past. They have it at the Flying Saucer and Hills and Dales and I think I've seen it at HEB and Whole Foods in the past.

Clandestino
07-13-2005, 10:20 AM
in the united states is the first time i ever saw a lemon slice in hefeweizen... they don't drink it like that in germany...

TheTruth
07-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Shiner Bock and Fat Tire

Was in Denver over the weekend and I couldn't find any Shiner. That sucked.

Spurminator
07-13-2005, 10:48 AM
You were looking for Shiner in Denver?

Tsk tsk... That's like having your choice of any car in the world and choosing a Pontiac.

TheTruth
07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I did drink a lot of fat tire, and some home brewed stuff at the bars downtown. But I can never have too much of my Shiner.

IX_Equilibrium
07-16-2005, 08:18 AM
I had Modelo Especial last night for the 1st time. I thought it was pretty good. Anyone else like it?

Clandestino
07-16-2005, 09:59 AM
After bartending on and off for years, you hit your fair share of beer tastings and classes, and in the in end I keep it simple.

Dos Equis Lager
Michelobe Ultra
Fat Tire
Sol(when I'm in the mood)

I never drink anything draft. You can actually taste the shit in those lines at certain bars.

At family BBQ's, I have no problem picking up a Bud Light. I'm really attached to Michelobe Ultra lately though.

the lines are cleaned periodically in bigger places...but yeah, your average crappy bar probably hasn't cleaned theirs since they put it in! i'm suprised the beer even flows through

IX_Equilibrium
07-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Michelobe Ultra = Water