PDA

View Full Version : Is Shaq demolishing TNT?

Embedded
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Hey, I'm not a Shaq-hater, but lately it's gotten more and more silly. Birdman Bird Man was funny twice. And the dumb basketball stuffs, watching him chuck up 30 balls to make a three, wallowing around on the floor, etc. is getting old. He seems to really miss the limelight. I can tolerate him as an announcer, but the 'look at me' antics are getting old.

SpursRock20
05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Annoying antics aside, I haven't heard one good basketball take from him tbh.

heyheymymy
05-07-2013, 01:39 PM
i cant even tolerate him as an anchor. i simply can not understand him, i dont hear well, and he mumbles in a really low monotone.

LoneStarState'sPride
05-07-2013, 01:42 PM
his bball takes aren't good at all, and he's less adept at the off-the-cuff humor Kenny and Charles have down pat.

But "Birdman-Birdman" gets me every time for some reason. I'm easily entertained.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Every time I see Shaq on TNT, it's incredibly awkward cause you can just tell how much Charles hates him. I miss the original 3 man lineup of Ernie, Kenny and Barkley.

mercos
05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
I prefer Shaq to the hacks on other networks. Inside the NBA is the most entertaining sports show on TV in my opinion. Its a welcome change from the boring landscape that is sports talk on TV.

DarrinS
05-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Every time I see Shaq on TNT, it's incredibly awkward cause you can just tell how much Charles hates him. I miss the original 3 man lineup of Ernie, Kenny and Barkley.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious.

SpursRock20
05-07-2013, 01:52 PM
He's a bit of a stiff too. Looks like a statue half the time.

tesseractive
05-07-2013, 03:33 PM

He's bad, and he hurts the show, but it was worse when Magic was sitting in, IMO. Magic was an amazing player, but he's definitely in the pantheon when it comes to awful commentators.

Sean Cagney
05-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I used to love when Magic or Webber was on there, so yeah he is not nearly as good a them on the show.

letmk
05-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I think you can laugh at Chuck's lack of championship once a while. But when Shaq makes no sense of his talk but constantly goes to "I got four, you got none" track of argument, it makes things awkward and does not help his own cause either. Because us as TV viewers, we don't care who got the most championships, but whose talk makes sense.

Embedded
05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Before Shaq I thought the balance of silliness and seriousness was excellent for my taste. Now most of it seems to be 'look at Shaq' humor. It was different with Charles, Charles is a good target for Ernie and Kenny, but Shaq targets himself just for the face time.

silverblackfan
05-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Easy answer, "Yes!". I was just commenting on this yesterday. It seems Ernie has to do most of the heavy lifting for Shaq for each commentary. Kenny, and Charles give good comments and are entertaining. Granted, they have been doing it longer, but Shaq has done movies. He shouldn't be that bad.
I do admit, I do like his occasional antic, like the Ultra-white suit he wore earlier this year...

Mugen
05-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Shaq is horrible tbh. C-Webb is a much better fit. Chuck probably leaves if they keep Shaq for next year.

BlackSilver
05-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I've often thought they should dump Shaq for a head of Cabbage, or better, Brent Barry.

Seventyniner
05-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Four people is one too many imo. Chuck, Kenny, and Ernie have such great chemistry; Shaq is subtraction by addition,

SenorSpur
05-07-2013, 04:44 PM
The answer is "he already has" and it didn't just start in the playoffs. I predicted this the moment that Shaq was hired by TNT. I knew he'd bring down the show with his juvenile sense of humor, his monotone way of speaking and of course, his unintelligent takes. The guy isn't funny and has never provided that much insight. He's a hater who has the never to have standards for big men that even HE didn't meet. His attempts at taking pot-shots at Charles' expense are usually an epic fail. He simply cannot get into a "jones-war" with Barkley. Charles is too sharp-witted and usually gets the last laugh.

For me, he's made the show unwatchable. I believe that it was a collossal mistake for TNT to upset the apple cart by shoe-horning a 4th personality onto the set - especially someone with the many flaws of Shaq.

eyeh8u
05-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't know what I dislike more, the fact he thinks they won the championship the year the 0.4 fisher shot happened or

Put that on a t shirt underdog!

He is like a 2 year old, every dumb thing he does, everyone around him cheers and laughs.

Kidd K
05-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Shaq is easily the worst guy on the show by far. There are tons of choices they could go with which would be much better. C-Webb isn't bustling with charisma (or Shaq's substitute for charisma: loudness and repetativeness), but at least he isn't annoying as fuck and is a humble dude with somewhat decent takes.

I hope TNT doesn't renew Shaq's contract. Inside the NBA is too good a show to risk keeping Shaq on. Shaqtin a Fool is the only thing good about Shaq being on, and as Shaq himself admitted on the air, he doesn't even put it together. They're just giving him credit for it. So they can easily just change the name to "actin a fool" and let Kenny Smith do it.

Mayhem321
05-07-2013, 06:07 PM
i cant even tolerate him as an anchor. i simply can not understand him, i dont hear well, and he mumbles in a really low monotone.

That's true, English isn't my first language and i can't understand anything he says unless its a player's name.

superbigtime
05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
That show ain't worth your time.

bigfan
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
No idea why they screwed with the best three man team on tv in the first place. More does not mean better.

Technique
05-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah Shaq ruined the chemistry. Brent Barry would be a great addition.

It's just awkward, you can tell everyone on that table is simply not amused by his dire cries for attention.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I prefer Shaq to the hacks on other networks. Inside the NBA is the most entertaining sports show on TV in my opinion. Its a welcome change from the boring landscape that is sports talk on TV.

This.

Stabula
05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
I've never heard an intelligent analysis from Shaq and I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume I most likely never will. I would love to see him go and apparently I'm far from alone on that one.

DAF86
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
I've often thought they should dump Shaq for a head of Cabbage, or better, Brent Barry.

This. Brent Barry just screams for a bigger NBA analyst role. He's the best out there, in terms of comedy and analysis.

therealtruth
05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
As bad as he is he's actually gotten better. When he first got on the show you couldn't you hear a word he said. Ernie does the heavy lifting for him. His good takes are very few. His juvenile humor makes Chuck look sophisticated. Chuck played the "dumb" guy on the show but with Shaq he throws that all off.

Budkin
05-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Shaq is horrible tbh. C-Webb is a much better fit. Chuck probably leaves if they keep Shaq for next year.

First of all, the show is nothing without Chuck. Secondly, I'll stop watching if he leaves. Turrble.

lefty
05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I hope they will replace Shaq with Bones

Brent is funny and is an excellent analyst

50 cent
05-07-2013, 07:40 PM
It's still the best show in sports, but Shaq does take away from some of the greatness of it. It was better before, but it's still much better than anything else around.

Arcadian
05-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I guess the only thing I like about Shaq is that he respects Tim Duncan and the Spurs in general. If he has knowledge of anything, it's post play. He's not afraid to say that Howard is overrated, for example, because he doesn't know how to drop step into a hook shot. So I appreciate that sort of stuff.

I prefer Shaq's takes over Barkley's. Kenny clearly has the best takes, though. Barkley's takes are just loaded with fallacies and aimless logical wandering that never seems to arrive at a solid conclusion. It's lots of "Yeah but...you see...the thing is, Ernie...you have to understand...let me tell you somethin, Ernie...here's the thing...you don't understand something..."

It's like, just get to the fucking point, you fucking moron.

And he keeps saying, "We're not experts...only God is an expert..." So stupid.

TheGoldStandard
05-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Ernie is the glue of that show and everyone else are honks that flip flop all over the place.

cd021
05-07-2013, 08:27 PM

I love when they get in a argument and Shaq brings up the fact the he has more points than him.

SouthernFried
05-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I dunno. Since Shaq has been on...I miss Chuck.

Boomersgold
05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Annoying antics aside, I haven't heard one good basketball take from him tbh.

"If OKC want to win this game, they have to play hard"

I don't know about you, but that was the most insightful basketball analysis that I had ever heard.

SenorSpur
05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I love when they get in a argument and Shaq brings up the fact the he has more points than him.

Such a weak argument, but then what can one expect from a guy that has a cartoon mind.

-21-
05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
The thread title shouldn't even be in the form of a question. It should be 'Shaq IS demolishing TNT.'

Such a bad addition to the cast... :td

Legacy
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I guess the only thing I like about Shaq is that he respects Tim Duncan and the Spurs in general. If he has knowledge of anything, it's post play. He's not afraid to say that Howard is overrated, for example, because he doesn't know how to drop step into a hook shot. So I appreciate that sort of stuff.

I prefer Shaq's takes over Barkley's. Kenny clearly has the best takes, though. Barkley's takes are just loaded with fallacies and aimless logical wandering that never seems to arrive at a solid conclusion. It's lots of "Yeah but...you see...the thing is, Ernie...you have to understand...let me tell you somethin, Ernie...here's the thing...you don't understand something..."

It's like, just get to the fucking point, you fucking moron.

And he keeps saying, "We're not experts...only God is an expert..." So stupid.

LMAO!! I tend to agree. Shaq is constantly sticking up for The Spurs, and is always on our bandwagon. I think he keeps Chuck's big-ass mouth in check, and calls him out consistently. I find that hilarious, because Chuck's takes are pretty lame and he just seems to cater to the bandwagon fans, or maybe he really does like all these overrated teams/players, or maybe that's just what he's supposed to do anyway. *shrug* It's become comically predictable, IMO, what he is going to say, and what his point is (whenever he gets to the point). Shaq shuts him down, and I like that because Chuck is annoying as fuck, lol. But hey... somebody's gotta' play "The Bad Guy", right? That's what makes it entertaining to me. I take what Chuck has to say with a grain of salt. Everyone in that room makes fun of him, too, and pretty much knows what he's going to say... You can just tell with all the snickering they do at him. I don't get why people on here like Charles Barkley so much, tbh. Shaq is always on The Spurs bandwagon, and sticks up for The City of San Antonio constantly. He's just less "mainstream." :lol Barkley's just... obnoxious. UGH. ... Just my 2 cents.

phxspurfan
05-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I kinda like all the 90s bball references (Penny, D Scott, etc) but yeah lately he has been over the top. I wish the show was like it was a couple years ago.

alamo50
05-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I stopped watching this great show when Shaq joined.

Stabula
05-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I guess the only thing I like about Shaq is that he's not afraid to take a load of Duncan's cum on his chocolate monkey face on cam

So what you're basically getting at is Shaq consistently makes your asshole pucker because he sucks off Duncan unabashedly?

SpursRock20
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
LMAO!! I tend to agree. Shaq is constantly sticking up for The Spurs, and is always on our bandwagon. I think he keeps Chuck's big-ass mouth in check, and calls him out consistently. I find that hilarious, because Chuck's takes are pretty lame and he just seems to cater to the bandwagon fans, or maybe he really does like all these overrated teams/players, or maybe that's just what he's supposed to do anyway. *shrug* It's become comically predictable, IMO, what he is going to say, and what his point is (whenever he gets to the point). Shaq shuts him down, and I like that because Chuck is annoying as fuck, lol. But hey... somebody's gotta' play "The Bad Guy", right? That's what makes it entertaining to me. I take what Chuck has to say with a grain of salt. Everyone in that room makes fun of him, too, and pretty much knows what he's going to say... You can just tell with all the snickering they do at him. I don't get why people on here like Charles Barkley so much, tbh. Shaq is always on The Spurs bandwagon, and sticks up for The City of San Antonio constantly. He's just less "mainstream." :lol Barkley's just... obnoxious. UGH. ... Just my 2 cents.

Barkley is almost always on the Spurs side. Coach Pop and Manu are his favorite coach and player. Don't know about the rest of you guys but I like Barkley.

Mark in Austin
05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Shaq is just outclassed and has nothing to add beside the talking points he gets handed to read. 90% of his improved lines are just awful.

hater
05-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I hope they will replace Shaq with Bones

Brent is funny and is an excellent analyst

Barry is terrible in front of the camera. Shame on you lefty

why the need to add a 4th wheel? IMO the 3 of them were doing fine.

Stabula
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Shaq is just outclassed and has nothing to add beside the talking points he gets handed to read. 90% of his improved lines are just awful.

BeakersBro
05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
I actually like Webber as the 4th wheel.

He keep moving up my analyst list since he actually says insightful things while still not talking over the head's of the average fan.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Webber is trash
I hate him commenting a game, still 200% better than the brazilian dudes commenting nba :lmao

hater
05-08-2013, 05:06 PM
does anyone watch the streams with these 2 spaniard commentators? they are not too bad imo

Stabula
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
The three man lineup is best but of all the fourth wheels I liked Webber the best.

Arcadian
05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
So what you're basically getting at is Shaq consistently makes your asshole pucker because he sucks off Duncan unabashedly?

Precisely.

And he should, because Duncan dusted his ass more than a few times on the court.

baseline bum
05-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Shaq is horrible. Not Magic horrible, but maybe Isiah or Tim Hardaway bad. Charles, Jet, and Kenny had such great chemistry; I don't know what the hell TNT has been thinking the last couple of years always wanting to squeeze Magic, Webber, and now O'Neal into that great lineup.

baseline bum
05-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Ernie having to tell Shaq to shut the fuck up there... smh

Legacy
05-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Barkley is almost always on the Spurs side. Coach Pop and Manu are his favorite coach and player. Don't know about the rest of you guys but I like Barkley.

:lol How long have you been watching that show? He makes fun of The City of San Antonio and the women in this town constantly (not that I can blame him, but c'mon--enough is enough already)! Sure he says nice things about The Spurs, he doesn't get as excited talking about them like he does with other teams/players (Miami-LBJ, LA-Achilles, NY-Carmelo)--Totally predictable. .. Like I said I take what he says with a grain of salt, but he still cracks me the fuck up. Someone has to play the villain on that show. He's salty. He's not that great of an actor, sorry. But you is funny, Chuck... keep enjoying the taste of your foot in your mouth.

JMarkJohns
05-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I've stopped watching already. Shaq adds nothing.

pgardn
05-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Shaq is proof that brain/body mass ratio is critical. He is horrible. Chuck is not allowed to run his mouth enough to be funny. Charles is way too serious now.

Legacy
05-08-2013, 09:20 PM
^^^ Exactly, Chuck hasn't been running his big-ass mouth as much as he was before. I'm quite cool with that. A lot of people aren't I guess. Whatevs. To each their own. :lol

SpursRock20
05-08-2013, 09:55 PM
:lol How long have you been watching that show? He makes fun of The City of San Antonio and the women in this town constantly (not that I can blame him, but c'mon--enough is enough already)! Sure he says nice things about The Spurs, he doesn't get as excited talking about them like he does with other teams/players (Miami-LBJ, LA-Achilles, NY-Carmelo)--Totally predictable. .. Like I said I take what he says with a grain of salt, but he still cracks me the fuck up. Someone has to play the villain on that show. He's salty. He's not that great of an actor, sorry. But you is funny, Chuck... keep enjoying the taste of your foot in your mouth.

That's what I'm saying. So what if he has crap to say about San Antonio, he supports the Spurs. And I watch the show every Thursday fwiw

baseline bum
05-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Wow, Shaq's goto is either "Birdman Birdman" or "Hot Hot Hot". Fuck this halftime show. :lol

tim_duncan_fan
05-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Birdman Birman!

Aw haw! Aw haw!

lmfao

Boomersgold
05-08-2013, 11:28 PM
"The first thing you need to beat the Warriors is belief" - Shaq

:bang Why even have him on the show?

davidbowie
05-08-2013, 11:30 PM
"The first thing you need to beat the Warriors is belief" - Shaq

:bang Why even have him on the show?

he said to beat the spurs. not that it matters lol

davidbowie
05-08-2013, 11:30 PM
when we lose the post game schtick seems a lot less funny for some reason ha

Boomersgold
05-08-2013, 11:34 PM
he said to beat the spurs. not that it matters lol

Yeh, my bad. Still doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of the things that Shaq says on the show are cliches that have no relevance to the game and are things that even the most casual of fans can come up with.