PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Duff McCartney
07-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I was wondering if you get pulled over by the police and they ask to search your vehicle. Do you have to let them without a warrant? I know that applies to the house but what about the vehicle?

I heard if anything is locked then the police need a warrant is this true?

Just wondering.

Shelly
07-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Searches of Cars and Their Occupants

Cars may be searched without a warrant whenever the car has been validly stopped and the police have probable cause to believe the car contains contraband or evidence. If the police have probable cause to search the car, all compartments and packages that may contain the evidence or contraband being searched for are fair game.

While a police officer cannot search a car simply because the car was stopped for a traffic infraction, the police can order the driver and any passengers out of the car for safety considerations, even though there is no suspicion of criminal wrongdoing other than the traffic infraction. The police also can "frisk" the occupants for weapons if the officers have a "reasonable suspicion" that the occupants are involved in criminal activity and are reasonably concerned for their safety.

google is your friend (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/ObjectID/50CD91FC-B21D-4BE7-BA4818C8E29AC758/catID/070D5BDE-D53D-4D32-B79BCB997390CD33/104/ART/)

Mr. Ash
07-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Like Ms. Shelly said. Also, I think they can search you and the immediate area (i.e. your car) if an actual arrest is made.

mookie2001
07-10-2005, 06:53 PM
?
fuck no

MannyIsGod
07-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Probable cause is very easy to get though. They can make it very difficult for you if they ask you to search your vehicle and you deny them the opportunity. Specifficaly, your car can end up being impounded.

For example. You live in San Antonio and you're a mexican? How much do you want to bet they are looking for somone that broke some crime that fits your description? There's your probable cause, you fit a description.

Shit, watch an episode of Cops. How many of those busts are initiated by the officer asking someone they pulled over for a traffic stop if they can search the car? It happens all the damn time.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 01:28 AM
if a cop asked to search my vehicle i'd tell him to go stuff himself

Johnny Tightlips
09-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I ain't lettin' 'em search nothin'

Useruser666
09-12-2005, 08:33 AM
if a cop asked to search my vehicle i'd tell him to go stuff himself

Is this before or after being tasered?

The Ressurrected One
09-12-2005, 09:02 AM
I was wondering if you get pulled over by the police and they ask to search your vehicle. Do you have to let them without a warrant?
No. But, they can detain you until a warrant is secured. (And, they're gonna call the drug dogs out first). Your only hope is that they find nothing when the dogs arrive and, if they perisist in waiting for the warrant, that they find nothing then either. Then, unless they can demonstrate probable cause, you might have a pretty good case for sueing their asses off.

On the other hand, if you're busted and they had to go to all the trouble to call out the dogs and get a judge to issue a warrant, don't expect any leniency.

My advice. If you've got nothing to hide, let them call out the dogs and wake the judge...if they dare. Their decision will be driven by how strong is the probable cause for stopping you in the first place.

There, how's that for legal advice?

Useruser666
09-12-2005, 10:34 AM
If I'm not busy or in a hurry, I love watching the cops waste their time searching and end up finding nothing. :lol

The Ressurrected One
09-12-2005, 10:35 AM
If I'm not busy or in a hurry, I love watching the cops waste their time searching and end up finding nothing. :lol
Damn! Does it happen to you that often?

I've never been searched...

Clandestino
09-12-2005, 10:37 AM
only once in germany.

MannyIsGod
09-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I've been searched, put in the cuffs in the back of a cop car, and been generaly harrased to an extreme point several times. Twice in Alamo Heights.

Ho Hum, Ho Hum.

Useruser666
09-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Damn! Does it happen to you that often?

I've never been searched...

I've had my truck searched twice. The cops asked if I had any secret compartments in it. I was like "Huh?" They of course never even opened the hood to check there. Those guys weren't too bright, though.

Hook Dem
09-12-2005, 11:58 AM
I've been searched, put in the cuffs in the back of a cop car, and been generaly harrased to an extreme point several times. Twice in Alamo Heights.

Ho Hum, Ho Hum.
Well, there you go Manny. :lol I'm anglo and I know not to drive through Alamo Heights :lol ....Take a detour! Those guys are just looking for an excuse to stop anyone. Gotta make that revenue.

SWC Bonfire
09-12-2005, 12:01 PM
only once in germany.

Did they ask you for your papers? :lol

The only problems I had in all of Europe was Switzerland. What a bunch of assholes.

SpursWoman
09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, there you go Manny. :lol I'm anglo and I know not to drive through Alamo Heights :lol ....Take a detour! Those guys are just looking for an excuse to stop anyone. Gotta make that revenue.

Funny. I've been driving in Alamo Heights for 18 years and have never gotten pulled over. You guys must be some shitty drivers. :)

ObiwanGinobili
09-12-2005, 12:04 PM
usually they ask if they can search.
but if you say "no" that right there gives them probable casue.

The Ressurrected One
09-12-2005, 12:12 PM
usually they ask if they can search.
but if you say "no" that right there gives them probable casue.
They'd better have more than my saying "no," when they wake up the Judge to obtain the warrant.

MannyIsGod
09-12-2005, 12:15 PM
I worked smack in the middle of Alamo Heights last summer. My options were to cut through Olmos Park and come in the back way, but Olmos Park is probably WORSE than Alamo Heights.

MannyIsGod
09-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Funny. I've been driving in Alamo Heights for 18 years and have never gotten pulled over. You guys must be some shitty drivers. :)
Well, considering I was pulled over because I "fit a description" or my "vehicle fit a description" and I didn't recieve any tickets, I don't think my driving ability had anything to do with me being pulled over in those instances.

SpursWoman
09-12-2005, 12:17 PM
(I was teasing)

Hook Dem
09-12-2005, 12:21 PM
I worked smack in the middle of Alamo Heights last summer. My options were to cut through Olmos Park and come in the back way, but Olmos Park is probably WORSE than Alamo Heights.
Definetly agree on that Manny!

MannyIsGod
09-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Gotcha. This particular subject has left a rather large chip on my shoulder.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-12-2005, 12:25 PM
This one time cops pulled over pimpo and mookie in College Station. They kept asking to search the car over-over-over again...then finally the cop asked "why wont you let us search your car?" To which Mookie replied, "well we are given some rights in this country, and unless some people choose to use them, they're pretty much useless"

the cop eventually left them alone
true story