PDA

View Full Version : We have some of the worst courtside fandom in the league

PÒÓCH
05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
In watching the game last night the best way I can describe the "fans" at courtside is by using adjectives like

"apathetic" "lifeless" "indifferent" "withdrawn" "emotionless"

How many empty seats were in the arena? Where are all the spurs shirts, flags, posters etc.?

Those people sitting in the first few rows looked as if they were attending a barbecue or Sunday brunch.

Look at the fans in Golden State (San Fran) or OKC they seem to bring it every night. Those pathetic snobs in the front rows should give their seats up to those true fans, the ones in the nose bleed section. :soapbox:

ThaBigFundamental21
05-07-2013, 06:20 PM
You are absolutely right!!! I don't care what anyone says. The fans are awful. When we came back late in the 4th, it was probably the only time I can remember them being loud in years!!! It was a pleasant surprise though.

Stabula
05-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Very true. Our fans are fucking horrible. Maybe they were too full on bean and cheese tacos to have the energy to show proper support.

PÒÓCH
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM
You are absolutely right!!! I don't care what anyone says. The fans are awful. When we came back late in the 4th, it was probably the only time I can remember them being loud in years!!! It was a pleasant surprise though.

It took a dramatic comback for these numnuts to stop picking their noses and get off their asses, I mean really I wanted to throw my beer at the screen while I was watching.

Wildcat67
05-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I agree and disagree, depending on the perspective.

Fans like those of GS or OKC or Grizz that haven't been, until recently, winners get overly excited early on in games, and I think that can have a negative effect. Part of the reason for having large crowds and lot of noise is to give the team a boost emotionally when it is needed. It is not needed early in the 1st. So often I will see fans of the aforementioned teams yelling their heads off 3 minutes into that game with an 8-2 lead like their team just hit the game winner of game 7 of the finals. Or chanting "Refs you suck" after one bad call in the 1st quarter. There is no where to go but down. I get annoyed watching those fans get soooooo excited, over a nothing play.

I think Spurs fans are so used to winning they are more thinking "Wake me when it's the 4th quarter, unless something great happens". That way they can still pick it up and get loud and it actually means something. Being loud the whole game just desensitizes the players to the boost they should get from the crowd.

It's all about timing the loudest the crowd gets with the biggest moments of the game. To give the home team the edge.

DesignatedT
05-07-2013, 06:44 PM
OKC with their color coded shirts are fuckin gay as fuck.

racm
05-07-2013, 06:48 PM
When you're a Spurfan winning at home should be a given, tbh...

Especially since the last losing season these guys had was back when they played at the Alamodome.

PÒÓCH
05-07-2013, 06:55 PM

I think Spurs fans are so used to winning they are more thinking "Wake me when it's the 4th quarter, unless something great happens".

It's all about timing the loudest the crowd gets with the biggest moments of the game. To give the home team the edge.

I respectfully disagree, as someone who had to endure the crappyness that was Greg "Cadillac" Anderson I can tell you that we have to support and cherish this aging team. We won't be winners for much longer. It's a small window and we can't be so unimpassioned.

superbigtime
05-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Pretty hard to cheer like a lunatic the whole fuckin time TBH, especially when no one can stop Shrimp Curry and the Spurs shooting % is in mid 30s. If you cheered everytime the Coyote or the PA prompts you, you'd by exhausted and dizzy with a headache.

TheGoldStandard
05-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Make the floor seats 50 bucks and you'll have some crazy fans on the floor heckling and harassing players while drunk.

MR-Clutch
05-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Like I said earlier, if it weren't for the social status/playoff fans leaving at around the 4-5 minute mark I would've never been able to move into those 4th floor seats, and when I did, you better believe I was screaming, jumping up and down and running up the aisles. It helped that I was the most intoxicated I've ever been at a spurs game, luckily i wasnt driving or I wouldve ended up like the fan that crashed into the gate and was swerving, hitting cones and driving in the wrong lane.

DJB
05-07-2013, 08:21 PM
When you're a Spurfan winning at home should be a given, tbh...

Especially since the last losing season these guys had was back when they played at the Alamodome.

This. A lot of Spurs fans are accustomed to winning. A big reason why GSW fan base is so loud is because they don't play in the playoffs much... it's new to them. New is exciting.

baseline bum
05-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Spurs crowd got soft after the second title. I still remember how dead the crowd was for game 6 of the 05 Finals. I mean a fucking championship closeout game. Hell, I remember half the forum watching Sopranos instead of game 2 of the 07 Finals for fucks sake.

TrueSpursFan
05-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I have to disagree, I'm HUGE Spurs fan but I'm not the type that gets crazy at all. I sit and observe the beauty that is the Spurs system at work on the court. There could be a guy next to me who is yellig like a maniac and I'm pretty sure he just started watching a Spurs game come playoff time, where as I, have watched every single Spurs game this season. But I don't like to attend the games, I love to sit home and enjoy every game, so I'm not one of those people you speak of regardless but I can maybe understand some of them if they are anything like me.

capek
05-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Fans like those of GS or OKC or Grizz that haven't been, until recently, winners get overly excited early on in games, and I think that can have a negative effect. Part of the reason for having large crowds and lot of noise is to give the team a boost emotionally when it is needed. It is not needed early in the 1st. So often I will see fans of the aforementioned teams yelling their heads off 3 minutes into that game with an 8-2 lead like their team just hit the game winner of game 7 of the finals. Or chanting "Refs you suck" after one bad call in the 1st quarter. There is no where to go but down. I get annoyed watching those fans get soooooo excited, over a nothing play.

I think Spurs fans are so used to winning they are more thinking "Wake me when it's the 4th quarter, unless something great happens". That way they can still pick it up and get loud and it actually means something. Being loud the whole game just desensitizes the players to the boost they should get from the crowd.

Wisdom. :tu

Living in Houston and going to a lot of Rockets games as I do, but also having gone to quite a few Spurs games in my life, I have to say Rockets fans get excited too early, and then poop out as the game goes on. The energy is definitely different, and I think the type of energy given by Spurs fans is superior to the "start at 100%" style of other crowds. Another way to describe it would be to talk about the knowledge fans have about how their team is constituted, and what they think their team needs when it comes to the type of support they give. So for young teams that haven't won anything and are just getting good, their fans know this, and so feel the need to be more demonstrative in their support right from the tip. Whereas with a team like the Spurs, who have been together forever and have tons of winning experience, their fans also know this, and so expect them to be able to start off well on their own without too much demonstrative support, and only join in when that fan support is most needed or deserved.

So the observation is the same (less early and often cheering than other fanbases), but the explanation is different. Of course, some fans suck, and honestly people with season tickets in the first couple rows can go fuck themselves. Modern day aristocracy... :td

cjw
05-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Exactly. Just got back from MSG and the fans are much more similar to Spurs fans than OKC / Golden State. Place is relatively tame most of the time, quiet at the right times and electric when the Knicks go on one of their runs. Plenty of suits up in the first 10 rows. I feel like that's a much better atmosphere than a place where people all dress the same (probably because OKC fans spend all their money on meth and can't afford jerseys, so they have to give them t-shirts).

On an related note, best part of the game tonight was seeing Joey Crawford on the floor. Means he won't be working tomorrow night's game. Knicks fans find him as annoying as we do. He likes the spotlight way too much.

EVAY
05-07-2013, 09:24 PM
In all honesty it was the fans in the lower seats that made me sell my charter seats. We had had seats in the Alamodome and then in the AT&T Center for the first several years. The Alamodome seats had lots of fans that were knowledgable and loud. The fans in the AT%T lower seats made me nuts because they were so cold. I always wanted to go be one of the baseline bums because they cheered better. But all those seats were taken.

Lots of times the lower level seats are business-owned and are given to people as rewards, so they may or may not be very knowledgable and/or interested in a basketball game. Even when they are owned personally the people always seem afraid to cheer very much because there is no 'peer' involvement in cheering.

EVAY
05-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I have been in favor for years of letting people from wherever come down to the box seats to sit if they are open by the second half. Lots of times there are no people in half or more of the box seats.

miker451
05-07-2013, 09:52 PM
In watching the game last night the best way I can describe the "fans" at courtside is by using adjectives like

"apathetic" "lifeless" "indifferent" "withdrawn" "emotionless"

How many empty seats were in the arena? Where are all the spurs shirts, flags, posters etc.?

Those people sitting in the first few rows looked as if they were attending a barbecue or Sunday brunch.

Look at the fans in Golden State (San Fran) or OKC they seem to bring it every night. Those pathetic snobs in the front rows should give their seats up to those true fans, the ones in the nose bleed section. :soapbox:

i love this site and usually just reading the comments here is enough. having said that, there are sometimes such ignorant comments i feel compelled to log in and offer my 2 cents.

comparing the fans of golden state or OKC to San Antonio is just pure amare dumb. how long have the thunder been in OKC? how long has it been since the warriors were relevant?

winning multiple championships will make any fanbase spoiled. those other teams fans are like a virgin excited, eagerly awaiting their first encounter. spurs fans are like please kid your not even in my league.

with that said, when you decide to move an arena away from the heart of a city and move it to a place thats both inconvenient to get to and from, somethings gotta give.

Very true. Our fans are fucking horrible. Maybe they were too full on bean and cheese tacos to have the energy to show proper support.

bean and cheese nachos? seriously bro? racism this day of age is like looking at the sun to determine what time it is when you have a fucking wrist watch on your arm. evolve, were all grains of sand on an endless beach...

Spurs7794
05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
OKC has the loudest fans...but they are stupid as hell. There is no ebb and flow to their cheering...its just mindless blathering. I like crowds that get selectively loud...gives you a sense of the moment.

Buddy Holly
05-07-2013, 11:45 PM
This thread and the basic idea behind it is just fucking ridiculous. With that said, I just watched people begin to get up and leave the OKC-MEM game when Mike Conley went to the line at 94-90 with like 30 seconds left.

racm
05-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Spurs crowd got soft after the second title. I still remember how dead the crowd was for game 6 of the 05 Finals. I mean a fucking championship closeout game. Hell, I remember half the forum watching Sopranos instead of game 2 of the 07 Finals for fucks sake.

tbf, The 07 Finals were practically a coronation ceremony. Once the Spurs beat Phoenix they were assured of the championship.

baseline bum
05-08-2013, 12:13 AM
tbf, The 07 Finals were practically a coronation ceremony. Once the Spurs beat Phoenix they were assured of the championship.

Same thing after they beat LA in 03 but the fans were still awesome.

racm
05-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Same thing after they beat LA in 03 but the fans were still awesome.

I think it was because of the "we want Robinson to retire a champion" and Duncan simply dominating. Dallas WCF was a pretty good series, too.

In 2005 and 2007 the franchise already had two ships under its belt, and a lot of teams would kill to even have one.

PÒÓCH
05-08-2013, 12:23 AM
i love this site and usually just reading the comments here is enough. having said that, there are sometimes such ignorant comments i feel compelled to log in and offer my 2 cents.

Having an opinion does not make for an ignorant comment, don't be so sanctimonious. It's ok to agree to disagree. Your virgin excited analogy was quite alluring and provocative. You deserve approbation and ovation for that one.

lefty
05-08-2013, 12:31 AM
What about that longtime courtside fan sporting a mustache and wearing glasses ?

Seems legit TBH

AussieFanKurt
05-08-2013, 12:35 AM
so used to wins tbh

ElNono
05-08-2013, 12:58 AM
there's worse, tbh

http://i40.tinypic.com/5u03du.jpg

ironman2886
05-08-2013, 01:16 AM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/i-dont-give-a-shit-morgan-freeman-gif.jpg

Stabula
05-08-2013, 04:03 AM
bean and cheese nachos? seriously bro? racism this day of age is like looking at the sun to determine what time it is when you have a fucking wrist watch on your arm. evolve, were all grains of sand on an endless beach...

How very noble of you. This post wasn't a waste of time by any means, my ways are truly forever changed. Thank you.

LarryDavid
05-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Meh, who cares. Go sit in the balcony and watch people get into fights.

Austin_Toros
05-08-2013, 06:23 AM
From what I watched of the game it looked like there were a number of empty seats. Oh well, they missed a hell of a game. But I'm guessing the crowd was still larger than a regular season match?

Jordanobili2320
05-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Yes I have noticed that it has gotten worse over the years. I am from NJ but whenever I watch the games on TV I am shocked how lifeless the crowd is for having such an epic franchise on their hands. GS, OKC and Memphis fans put Spurs fans to ABSOLUTE shame.

EVAY
05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
What about that longtime courtside fan sporting a mustache and wearing glasses ?

Seems legit TBH

That guy is great. I think he is a dentist or something like that. (Been told but forget exactly). My favorite thing he does is when he stands up and holds his nose after a bad call by the ref. He usually tries to time it just as the ref is running by.

He has been there forever. I don't know where he was in the Alamodome, but he has had those seats at AT&T since day one.

Wildcat67
05-08-2013, 04:47 PM
OKC has the loudest fans...but they are stupid as hell. There is no ebb and flow to their cheering...its just mindless blathering. I like crowds that get selectively loud...gives you a sense of the moment.

Yeah, this sort of thing always has me rooting for the road team, at least in the regular season. It is so annoying when fans just act stupid as a whole. Like the ref will make a call, it will be completely obvious no mistake, and they will all whine and boo to no end. It's like you gotta be selective, if there is any sort of effect booing the refs has on the refs, if you boo everything it is like crying wolf. You gotta boo only when it's a really bad call that way the refs know they screwed up.

hater
05-08-2013, 04:52 PM
According to the Surgeon General, the overuse of methanphetamines contributes to premature ejaculation

G-Nob
05-08-2013, 04:52 PM
F the fans, play some f'ing music from this century. I mean, it doesn't have to be deadmau5 or anything but I'll take anything post 1996.

JR3
05-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Wildcat67 I agree with what you said, but its incomplete. Another purpose for being loud is to get into the heads and distract the visiting team. I think we lack that intimidation at the AT&T center.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Come up with all the excuses you want, our fans are HORRIBLE. It's sad when the Bulls come to town and there is a 50-50 split in fans. It's sad when you are in the playoffs and only 75% of the seats are full, and the "fans" seem disinterested. Someone said it well earlier, spoiled or not, The Big 3 only have a few years left together. Enjoy it while it lasts, because runs like these don't come around often, this one itself is unparalleled.

Joyrider
05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed that fans these days here prefer just watching the game at the bar. I was at Flyer Tigers in the newly renovated City Base district during the end of regulation for the last game. The place went absolute bezerk for every shot during both overtimes. People were even chanting defense. Needless to say, I went nearly deaf when Manu made that last 3.

Big Empty
05-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Make the floor seats 50 bucks and you'll have some crazy fans on the floor heckling and harassing players while drunk.
yep. i pay big bucks for my lower level tickets and i go to town.

BatManu20
05-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Yea we're known for having some of the worst fans unfortunately.. You'd think a team in such a small market would have some of the rowdiest fans in the league ala OKC or the Kings back in the early 2000's. But no, they enjoy watching in silence with the occasional cheer.

PÒÓCH
05-08-2013, 07:23 PM
F the fans, play some f'ing music from this century. I mean, it doesn't have to be deadmau5 or anything but I'll take anything post 1996.

It'd be nice if they hired proffessional DJ's once in a while. I agree with you the music is pretty bland and pathetic, and don't get me going on that announcer guy with the nasally voice ....."two minutes!" "make some noise!" Blah!

Fabbs
05-08-2013, 07:58 PM
The courtside seat and nearby Kobme worshippers should not have been allowed to stand up alive. Unless a Spurs boot was in their cavity.
Also death to any Spurs season ticket holders who sold them the seat(s).