PDA

View Full Version : Coach Nick breaks down Game 1 vs Warriors

Chinook
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em6cyXLSAj0

This breakdown seemed lazy to me. He didn't bother to look at Curry's efficiency nor did he seem to take into account that Duncan's illness had a big impact on him. He also pretty much says the Spurs won because of help by the officials. All in all, not some of his best work, in my opinion.

hooperflash
05-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Coach Nick, my niqqa tbh...

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
He also pretty much says the Spurs won because of help by the officials. All in all, not some of his best work, in my opinion.

Everyone loves the Warriors right now, and it seems like he does as well. It's natural that he would make excuses tbh.

Chinook
05-07-2013, 10:00 PM
I loved his comment that Spurs fans felt bad the Warriors didn't win. No, we don't. The fact that they expended all that effort for nothing is a great thing in my book.

weebo
05-07-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm a Spur fan. I don't feel bad for the warriors.

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
The guy in the video is a clown, tbh..

If you're going to pinpoint officiating mistakes that include subtleties like travels and ticky-tack no calls, you could include several "bad calls" on the Warriors side as well:lol..

I distinctly recall 1 or 2 travels from Jack that resembled Leonard's travel, for instance..

Focusing on Bogut alone would provide minutes of material, tbh..he was getting away with murder on both ends of the floor..

Captivus
05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Interesting how the screen for Curry comes from the guy that TD is guarding...

FuzzyLumpkins
05-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Never pictured him as a Warriors fanboi. Let's see if Curry can hit every stepback, 30 ft, fade away, off balance, picked up off the floor three pointer again.

Manu's shot was stupid but there is a fine line between a shooter and a chucker and those high difficulty shots are going to trend towards chuck more often than not.

unforeseen
05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Only Ps&As blame the officiating.
Spurs wonPERIOD

FuzzyLumpkins
05-07-2013, 10:16 PM
The guy in the video is a clown, tbh..

If you're going to pinpoint officiating mistakes that include subtleties like travels and ticky-tack no calls, you could include several "bad calls" on the Warriors side as well:lol..

I distinctly recall 1 or 2 travels from Jack that resembled Leonard's travel, for instance..

Focusing on Bogut alone would provide minutes of material, tbh..he was getting away with murder on both ends of the floor..

Sure and Thompson would have fouled out shortly after half had they called all that shit. They swallowed the whistle in the second half. It's playoff basketball ffs.

DesignatedT
05-07-2013, 10:21 PM
This guy was wrong about multiple things throughout the video.

Also, if you are going to highlight officiating that was in favor of the Spurs, there were plenty of calls he could have highlighted in favor of GS down the stretch as well. Ginobili's all ball reach in on Bogut comes to mind and the shooting foul on Diaw when Curry went to the rim that could have easily been a no call as well.

Arcadian
05-07-2013, 10:33 PM
:lol Wow, what a horrible analysis. The Warriors are not encouraged by this result...quite the opposite.

Chinook
05-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Coach Nick is usually really good in his breakdowns. He knows the Xs and O's very well. But he seems like he had to get something out for the game and as a result produced a video anyone could have made. His video on the Heat/Bulls game was much better, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9m7xOWr4nI

Richie
05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Whatever team, whatever sport, nobody ever thinks the officiating helps them. Even Laker fans blame the refs. The plays he highlights are close either way, they all could have been given as fouls or no calls.

Coach Nick isn't a Warriors fanboy. He loves Curry at the moment, but who doesn't? Dude is playing out of his mind. He was well aboard the Spurs bandwagon last year.

He might be right, if any of those get called fouls maybe we lost the game. The difference between a Kawhi 3 and a travel call is huge in a tight game, but thats NBA basketball. Nobody calls travels.

Richie
05-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Re: the Spurs fans comment, I can see where he was coming from. At the end I was expecting Curry to hit a miracle winner. I wouldn't have been mad, they dominated the game and deserved to win.

chapnis
05-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I normally like Coach Nick, maybe this analysis isn't worse than usual and I'm extremely biased but this one seems a bit meh.

mercos
05-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Good analysis, but he was nitpicking about the officials. Officials miss dozens of travel calls a game. They basically only make travel calls to shift momentum at this point. Same goes for 3 second calls. He was right IMO on the charge call Neal got, and Diaw did foul Curry on that jump shot he pointed out. However, you could sift through the footage and find plenty of no calls when the Spurs were shooting as well. The refs let both sides play pretty physical. There was also an out of bounds call that went to replay that the refs screwed up in one of the overtime periods.

MR-Clutch
05-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Earlier in the season, coach nicks favorite team to watch was the Warriors. Then they stopped playing defense and his favorite team to watch became the Spurs. I recall him saying Kawhi Leonard was his favorite player to watch and that he was the next Scottie Pippen. I guess, when playoffs started, and the warriors looked good and he switched back to them.

I Usually enjoy his commentary, as its usually objective and good basketball analysis. I've never seen him pull a homer like this and actually blame the refs in any game. Unusual for him, but I guess it happens to all fans.

ABC
05-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Re: the Spurs fans comment, I can see where he was coming from. At the end I was expecting Curry to hit a miracle winner. I wouldn't have been mad, they dominated the game and deserved to win.

If the Spurs blew a 16 point lead in the last 4 minutes of a game, I certainly wouldn't think they deserved to win.

Richie
05-07-2013, 11:40 PM
If the Spurs blew a 16 point lead in the last 4 minutes of a game, I certainly wouldn't think they deserved to win.

Fair point tbh. The warriors were by far the better team for the first 44 minutes. If we play like that for the next few games we'll lose the series and deservedly so.

TheGoldStandard
05-07-2013, 11:46 PM
The Warriors shows last night that they are not ready for the WCF, can't let a 16 point lead get turned to dust. This wasn't the first time that they collapsed late in a game and it won't be the last.

FirebatMIV
05-07-2013, 11:52 PM
More like Coach Nick shows why his highest level of coaching experience was three years at a non-competitive high school.

xellos88330
05-07-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't know why, but the officiating seemed pretty even to me. Curry was getting a ton of screens where Joseph, Parker, Neal and Green were getting held. Bogut was the biggest perpetrator of this. I suppose it is easier to call bad officiating when it is happening to the team you are rooting for, but to only show the bad calls on one side is pretty unfair.

Budkin
05-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Coach Nick loves the Spurs offense. He is constantly referencing them as what other teams should be doing.

spurraider21
05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Brunodf...... dat pick and roll defense

heyheymymy
05-08-2013, 12:33 AM
i love this guys videos, he knows his shit and explains it well. great breakdowns.

and i honestly think he is a secret spurs fan, and is just trying to present level, unbiased work by showing the spurs fouls.

ive seen other vids where he is gushing about the spurs the whole clip, he deff digs the spurs style. probably just trying to sound leveled out in the warriors clip.

Budkin
05-08-2013, 12:54 AM
:lol at him saying Kawhi took 4 steps after he picked up his dribble. I watched the shit 5 times in a row. He clearly picks up his dribble and plants his left pivot foot and then pivots a couple times. Where was the travel coach Nick? Still, good video as always.

chapnis
05-08-2013, 01:00 AM
:lol at him saying Kawhi took 4 steps after he picked up his dribble. I watched the shit 5 times in a row. He clearly picks up his dribble and plants his left pivot foot and then pivots a couple times. Where was the travel coach Nick? Still, good video as always.

And the first travel which had to be slow-mo and look really close to notice the extra half a step. And Boris Diaws block which Curry didn't seem to complain about of think was a foul.

thiste
05-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Btw, after the game Ginobili was talking about his last 3 pointer when he said he was wide open and had to take the shot, not the one he missed. He was saying that the play wasn't supposed to be for him but the situation made that he just had to take it.

Whisky Dog
05-08-2013, 01:52 AM
What about that possession late in one of the overtimes where they called the ball out of bounds off the warriors then went to the video to review. The video showed that clearly it was a foul on the warriors' player as he chopped Kawhi's arm into the ball but since the ball technically hit Kawhi's hand last they have the ball to GS. That extra possession for the Spurs could have been the difference in winning in the 1st OT.

The really need to make a rule change where if they review a play and the ball goes out of bounds on account of a foul that wasn't called they just give the ball to the team that was fouled.

Mal
05-08-2013, 02:28 AM
That wasnt his best breakdown. Too many "missed calls" etc. It`s NBA, calls are missed.
Also it isnt easy to breakdown any particular plays when Curry is red hot (bighead). You could say that Parker or Green did this or that, but you could put whole team on Curry and he still could hit stepback jumper.

Manudona
05-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Coach Nick is usually really good in his breakdowns. He knows the Xs and O's very well. But he seems like he had to get something out for the game and as a result produced a video anyone could have made. His video on the Heat/Bulls game was much better, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9m7xOWr4nI

He could have pointed out that no-call travel on Lebron starting at 1:44

DAF86
05-08-2013, 02:57 AM
I should like this guy 'cause he has more or less the same preferences I have (hates on Kobe, Westbrook. Shows respect to Spurs, Lebron, etc) but I can't. He is too biased and nitpicks the plays he wants to suport his biased preferences or sometimes he would just call the same play good or bad depending on who does it, for example: if Kobe shoots a fade away over someone Kobe is a ballhog, if Durant does the same is cool 'cause he is the best scorer in the game and he should be taking charge and blah, blah, blah.

100%duncan
05-08-2013, 03:56 AM
He's usually good tbh. Maybe rooting for dem warriors.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Who gives a shit? Spurs won.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2013, 06:34 AM
The game is 48 minutes long, at least. Young team can't close, that's what happened.

Also it's Mark Fing Jackson. Manu should've shimmied right in front of him after that shot dropped.

Chinook
05-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Who gives a shit? Spurs won.

This isn't a "Look at this guy who doubts the Spurs" thread. We looked at his breakdowns before, mostly in other contexts. I tend to link one whenever it comes out, and a fair number of people enjoy the videos.

hyhy
05-08-2013, 08:01 AM
He has been a curry fan for a long time now, was a kawhi fan, and now a chandler parsons fan.
His breakdowns tend to be about how the supposedly better team lost because of blahblahblah things that the weaker team did and the better team didnt, just to show his analysis.

DapDaGenius
05-08-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm sure he is rooting for the Warriors. Oh well.

will_spurs
05-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I enjoyed many of his videos in the past and they often provide pertinent and useful analysis. If asked I would have slated him as somebody who likes the Spurs and especially the Spurs system.

This video is not one of his bests because there's not much to say about this game and for 3.5 quarters the Spurs got owned by the Warriors, Pop played right into the Warriors strengths, and I felt the refs indeed helped us out on a few occasions, keeping the score difference in single digits. Anything that happened starting with 4 minutes left in the 4th just can't be analyzed. It was a mental breakdown on one side and a team finally hitting its shots on the other side. The only analysis was that Thompson fouling out meant Parker could finally score a few lay-ups, and he did.

All in all I'd say the calls were definitely in the Spurs favor for at least 3 quarters, but it pretty much evened out in the end.

Chinook
05-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Coach Nick broke down Game 5 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBIhHAF9svo

tl;dw:

-Curry's ankle is the reason why he's been ineffective.
-Leonard has shut down Thompson.
-Illegal screens are just good plays.
-Warriors are done, but it's okay, because they weren't supposed to be here anyway.

Again, I wasn't a fan of his analysis. It seemed lazy this time as well. I will say that this video is better, though, because it's not all about foul calls. For mentioning the defense in the title, the video shows very little breakdown about how the Spurs are defending Curry. If anything, it's more about how Curry's injury is limiting him now, as if the Spurs haven't shut him down since Game 2.