PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments for game 2 ?

Brazil
05-08-2013, 10:11 AM
So after the stressful double OT game 1, what adjustments do you expect from both side ?

Overall I don't believe Spurs and Warriors will make tons of adjustments.

Jackson will certainly try to rest Curry vs. playing him all night long and Thompson will try to stay out of fool trouble. Bogut will certainly continue to be a headache for Jackson as Pop won't hesitate to hack him if needed. Other than that in O they attacked Spurs the right way with high PnR, Curry with his capability to shoot from very deep and his quick release is a nightmare to defend. So globally they will continue to play the same game plan.

For the Spurs now, all will begin with health, with a 100% healthy Duncan D should improve tremendously. Surprisingly enough imo the biggest issue in game 1 was GS interior scoring, it was a lay up fest in game 1 because of lack of interior shot blocking presence. Don't know if Tiago will be back but it would obviously help.
Will the Spurs try something else on Curry ? probably but I don't see a lot of options. Curry explodes generally in second half so maybe give a shot to Leonard at the beginning of 3rd quarter to try to derail the machine then come back at him in the middle of the fourth ?

Thoughts ?

Mel_13
05-08-2013, 10:17 AM
The best adjustment for the Spurs would be a healthy Duncan, Splitter's return, and more minutes for Diaw. That would eliminate the 25 combined minutes played by Bonner and Blair.

Curry is a phenomenal player. Size did seem to affect him, so more Green/Leonard and less TP/Cojo. That strategy has it's own problems as you often wind up with a PG guarding Thompson or Barnes.

Drachen
05-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Baynes on Curry

Mugen
05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Agree with both your points. Limited adjustments from the W's. I thought their gameplan was solid and well executed for the most part.

Pop coached a pretty dumb game for the first 3 quarters and Timmy's health + rust didnt help either. The Bonner/Blair pairing was awful as expected and CoJo got too long of a leash when Curry was lighting him up in the 3rd.

I'd like to see them start the offense with Danny/Kawhi/Boris handling the ball up top and have TP run through baseline screens to try and free him from Thompson or force a switch. Thompson's length bothered the hell out of him as expected.

More time for Manu and probably more smallball IMO.

manufan10
05-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Agree with both your points. Limited adjustments from the W's. I thought their gameplan was solid and well executed for the most part.

Pop coached a pretty dumb game for the first 3 quarters and Timmy's health + rust didnt help either. The Bonner/Blair pairing was awful as expected and CoJo got too long of a leash when Curry was lighting him up in the 3rd.

I'd like to see them start the offense with Danny/Kawhi/Boris handling the ball up top and have TP run through baseline screens to try and free him from Thompson or force a switch. Thompson's length bothered the hell out of him as expected.

More time for Manu and probably more smallball IMO.

The more the Spurs can run Curry/Thompson through screens the better, imo.

elec99
05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I think Curry will try to set up teammates in the first half like he did in game 1, so feel the game out first but maybe put leonard on him as the game plan switches in the second half. On our end we need a healthy duncan, it was so easy to lay up on him in game. Before I knew of the illness I was wondering what was happening.

Pop barely makes any drastic changes unless forced to, so I think you'll see the same starting lineup with diaw, and then splitter comes in off the bench.

CubanMustGo
05-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Get Shawn Eckardt to do a job on Curry's knee.

Oh, hell, never mind; he died in 2007.

Seriously, I hope we can figure SOME way to slow Curry down. I don't have the answer; Kawhi seemed to do a good job but he also got Curry after he had tired from playing so much.

elec99
05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
GSW's game plan worked for the most part so I dont see any changes on that front.
Like someone else said, maybe put kawaii on thompson so on a pnr kawaii gets put on curry, and green on thompson. Yeah then parker is probably on barnes but if they decide to put the ball in barnes hands with both curry and thompson on the floor that doesn sound like a bad thing. I actually see limited scoring for them if they decide to do that.

On our end, if timmy has an open jumper he has to make them pay for bogut camping out in the paint. Unless bogut is on him, splitter should be able to back down any of their other bigs. Manu with splitter pnr against a smaller team should be run more than a few times.

Maybe put baynes in at the beginning of the second half to hack bogut a few times, it's right around the time curry will want to take the game over.

I dont see gsw playing any better than game 1, you cant play much better than that. Was it team ball? No, it was a glitch in a video game where curry just couldnt miss.

Also, jackson wont admit it but it was a mistake to play curry all 48 minutes in regulation, look for him to get rest. And if he doesnt want thompson and the other (barnes?) to foul out again then that means parker should have an easier time in the lanes.

mando6599
05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Will Splitter be available for game 2 tonight? If so and he's mobile enough, our chances at defending the PnR go way up and our defense will hold them under 95 points.

100%duncan
05-08-2013, 10:51 AM
The best adjustment for the Spurs would be a healthy Duncan, Splitter's return, and more minutes for Diaw. That would eliminate the 25 combined minutes played by Bonner and Blair.

Curry is a phenomenal player. Size did seem to affect him, so more Green/Leonard and less TP/Cojo. That strategy has it's own problems as you often wind up with a PG guarding Thompson or Barnes.

This.

boutons_deux
05-08-2013, 10:58 AM
quit playing for first 44 minutes like the last 10 season games were played.

Raven
05-08-2013, 10:59 AM
We may try not to adjust at all and just hope Duncan will not be as slow in help D as he was, or we could put kawhi on that dude, green on thompson and parker on barnes.

hyhy
05-08-2013, 11:03 AM
sign beverly

dbreiden83080
05-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Hopefully Splitter plays, Tim is feeling better and Kahwi sticks to Curry like glue..

Legacy
05-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I want to see some major Greco-Roman style wrestling between Baynes & Bogut, dagnabbit.

Also, Jackson should definitely give RJ more minutes.

That is all. :lol

Mel_13
05-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Parker said he expects to start on Steph tonight. Expect Spurs to continue to throw kitchen sink at him.

https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Whatever it takes to keep the Warriors' shooting percentage well under 60% for the entirety of the game and not just for the last 4 minutes of regulation. That was the most amazing thing to me about Game 1; given the Warriors' exceptional shooting percentage and the Spurs' abysmal percentage for most of the night, it was surprising that the game had even been close -- usually when there's a 20 point disparity in the percentages late in a game, one team has absolutely run the other off the floor. In parts of the 4th quarter in Game 1, the Warriors were well north of 60% and the Spurs were below 40% without a massive turnover differential, without a huge disparity in FTA, without a huge difference in attempts, and without a huge difference in the number of 3's made. The numbers, just at a quick glance, made a 16-18 point lead for the Warriors seem unusually small.

I think it would help the Spurs a lot to be quicker to loose balls and aggressive on the defensive glass; getting stops is paramount and taking advantage of opportunities to actually stop a possession is something I don't think the Spurs did very well for most of Game 1.

Warlord23
05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
1. Hope Splitter nuts up and plays. If so, run more post plays via either him or TD (whoever Bogut is not guarding)
2. More minutes for Diaw, especially if Tim is not back to 100%
3. Blair stays nailed to the bench, Bonner in for 10 mins at the most
4. Gang rebounding; for their size GSW got too many offensive rebounds
5. More off-the-ball movement, screens and cuts to the basket instead of vanilla 2-man PnR with 3 others standing and watching
6. They will try and attack whoever TP is guarding (Curry or Klay). Throw different looks, sometimes playing straight up, sometimes trapping, etc and see if they can make good decisions consistently

Brazil
05-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I also think Spurs should slow down a bit game pace. GS seems very quick on transition defense so there is no big advantage at pushing the pace. A slow pace could derail a bit their hot hands on O. Time for old school Spurs ball maybe?

Brazil
05-08-2013, 11:49 AM
The other point is also refs adjustments. FTAs disparity was big, a lot of commentators reported that Spurs have been favored down the stretch by the call, I definitely expect a more favorable ref calling for GS through game 2

JRHernandez88
05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Leonard on Curry for as long as possible.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Through 3 quarters, the Warriors were an absolutely insane .698 (30-43) on two pointers in Game 1, including 12-14 in the 3rd quarter. More than that, while you'd expect them to shoot well in the paint (and they did during that time, going 19-25 (.760)), they shot the ball really well on midrange jumpers, going 10-17 (.588).

05-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Let Curry get as many shots as he wants. Even with that ridiculous game, it took him 35 shots and 6 TOs to get that many points. Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson should not be scoring 19 a piece so efficiently so focus on shutting them down.

Pray Duncan and Splitter are healthier to make quicker rotations so the Warriors don't score so many easy points in the paint.

If the Warriors keep throwing Klay Thompson on Parker, go after Curry on the offensive end. He will most likely be guarding Green. If Green catches fire again, Curry will tire out on the defensive end chasing him. If the Warriors are dumb enough to put Curry on Leonard, post him up every time.

Win the battle of the boards. The Spurs gathered one more offensive rebound than the Warriors, which is a good sign. But they should win by a bigger margin especially since the Warriors are missing David Lee.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Win the battle of the boards. The Spurs gathered one more offensive rebound than the Warriors, which is a good sign. But they should win by a bigger margin especially since the Warriors are missing David Lee.

Not sure rebound was an issue, they were shooting insane there was not a lot of rebounds to catch on their miss tbh

FkLA
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
I like how you fail to mention that your crush (Parker) needs to be more than a traffic cone on defense. Or attack when he has bigger, slower defenders like Thompson on him. Dumb Parker homer.

Mugen
05-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd start Boris/TD again as well and hopefully have Tiago as the backup C. Matty's shot well but this series calls for a bigman rotation of Boris/TD/Splitter.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
I like how you fail to mention that your crush (Parker) needs to be more than a traffic cone on defense. Or attack when he has bigger, slower defenders like Thompson on him. Dumb Parker homer.

serious question tho are you going to meltdown or something ? you seem to be on the edge.

FkLA
05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
serious question tho are you going to meltdown or something ? you seem to be on the edge.

Yeah, Im steaming. A little weak French homo has pushed me over the edge. :lol

Brazil
05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, Im steaming. A little weak French homo has pushed me over the edge. :lol

I'm happy that you are already off the denying stage :tu
Good job FkLA
Now listen the doctor and take your pills

Spur|n|Austin
05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
The other point is also refs adjustments. FTAs disparity was big, a lot of commentators reported that Spurs have been favored down the stretch by the call, I definitely expect a more favorable ref calling for GS through game 2

This is good and unfortunate point.

FkLA
05-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm happy that you are already off the denying stage :tu
Good job FkLA
Now listen the doctor and take your pills

You need to learn how to detect sarcasm. Brush up on your English too.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 12:52 PM
You need to learn how to detect sarcasm. Brush up on your English too.

see, this is why I believe there is no lost cause on earth ! You write a complete sentence without using faggot or dumb :tu good job FkLA ! proud of you really.
Thanks for the brushing up English advice I'll do my best

urunobili
05-08-2013, 12:58 PM
timvp to open the game thread?

FkLA
05-08-2013, 12:58 PM
The fact that I enjoy regularly referring to you as a French faggot is supposed to be an insult to me? Your smack is weak, son. :lol

Whisky Dog
05-08-2013, 01:00 PM
The fact that I enjoy regularly referring to you as a French faggot is supposed to be an insult to me? Your smack is weak, son. :lol

Talking to people like that does make you look bad tbh

FkLA
05-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Talking to people like that does make you look bad tbh

Why? Brazil is indeed both French and gay. Just calling a spade a spade tbh.

mercos
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Getting Duncan healthy is the biggest adjustment. He couldn't defend the paint in game one, and that will change in game 2. He has been a monster at protecting the rim all season. Not much can be done to stop Steph Curry, dude is a legit superstar. Best bet is to contain him as much as possible by throwing multiple defenders at him, and lock down everyone else.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM

The fact your smack is just based on saying faggot is indeed weak

Brazil
05-08-2013, 01:26 PM
timvp to open the game thread?

anyone but Amused tbh

Frankie23
05-08-2013, 01:58 PM
If Splitter is healthy, he's our best adjustment.
Also, i would match their small ball cause guarding Bonner is easy, but his defense to a perimeter guy is horrible.
I would try to switch on the screens (except from Timmy) to make the catch more difficult and try to deny the ball to Curry.

elbamba
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
The Spurs guards need to be aware of who Curry is guarding. Whever Curry is on Leonard, the ball needs to go to him immediately. Curry was a major beneficiary of not having to play defense. This is one of the reasons Green got so many open threes.

Spurs need to stretch Bogut as far out as they can to run the pick and roll with Parker so that he can get more space going to the basket.

Finally, let Green defend Curry in the first half and then let Leonard take him in the second half. We don't need either of them fouling out and I have a feeling the foul calls will be more liberal in this game.

Brunodf
05-08-2013, 02:17 PM
If Tony is on Barnes he shouldn't front him, just let him shoot a jumper...
No Bonner/Blair
PnR the shit outta of Bogut

Obstructed_View
05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
If Splitter comes back, the game suddenly gets a lot easier. Also, not getting behind by 8 points in the first two minutes of the game would be helpful. Grabbing some rebounds would be nice, and maybe sending a big out there to help when Bogut runs out to bulldoze your guard would be useful.

spurraider21
05-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Timmy's flu was obviously limiting him. The fact that he had to leave the game late shows how much it must have been bothering him all game. If he's truly feeling better, I'm expecting his defense to be MUCH sharper than we saw in game 1. A healthy Tiago would be a huge plus, since he's a more mobile defender than Timmy is. I'm just glad Diaw looked good all around, and his versatility on both ends was one of the keys to our win. It would also be safe to expect more efficiency from Tony and Manu. Lets just hope Steph isn't a flamethrower in this one again

benstanfield
05-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Make Curry actually work on D. If Manu's in a 2 with Kawhi and TP, there is no excuse for not going right at him with whoever he's on. Dude probably weighs 110 lbs.

milkyway21
05-08-2013, 03:06 PM
huh Beverly? Curry is such a joy to watch, just play pure basketball, we don't want any hipcheck :) right now so we can advance

He is a prolific scorer & great passer- just limit his ball possessions, clog the lanes

It is not just about D to win against GSW, they're like the Suns in Nash time, Spurs has to improve their offense to a better % to compete.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm on board with those saying we need make Curry work on D. This is what GS did on tp, we need to wear him down defending.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
It is not just about D to win against GSW, they're like the Suns in Nash time, Spurs has to improve their offense to a better % to compete.

well they are quite different of the Suns in the sense that GS is playing Defense

hater
05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
not much will change in game 2. Spurs still gonna trail and Elian Gonzalez go Candela on their ass. Hopefully Spurs comeback can be enough again otherwise this will be a 1-1 series.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Splitter/Diaw instead of Blair Bonner or Diaw/Blair instead of Bonner should be enough to keep the Warriors from having a lead.

hater
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
ppl seem to miss the fact that Warriors lost because of Clay Thompson fouling out. That triggered a Dick Jefferson showing and pretty much ignited Spurs run.

I am very curious to see how Thompson plays this game 2. He really was stupid in game 1 and fouled too much. IMO the X Factor of game 2 will be THompson's play. If he stays in the game and delivers. Spurs could be in for a world of hurt.

DarrinS
05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
ppl seem to miss the fact that Warriors lost because of Clay Thompson fouling out. That triggered a Dick Jefferson showing and pretty much ignited Spurs run.

Well, there's that, and the fact that the Spurs played poorly for 3˝ quarters of game 1.

hater
05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Well, there's that, and the fact that the Spurs played poorly for 3˝ quarters of game 1.

sure. but fatigue + the loss of Thompson are bigger reasons why Warriors lost the game.

DarrinS
05-08-2013, 03:38 PM
sure. but fatigue + the loss of Thompson are bigger reasons why Warriors lost the game.

I'm sure Pop's gameplan is to get Thompson in foul trouble and make sure Curry plays the entire game. :lmao

hater
05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm sure Pop's gameplan is to get Thompson in foul trouble and make sure Curry plays the entire game. :lmao

how could Pop possibly do this?

DarrinS
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
how could Pop possibly do this?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

hater
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Originally the law only made the claim that someone will mistake a parody of fundamentalism for the real thing — that if someone made a sarcastic comment stating that evolution was a hoax because "birds don't give birth to monkeys," then there was a high probability that at least one person would miss the joke and explain (in all seriousness) how the poster was an idiot.

:lmao

sananspursfan21
05-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I've said this before the series began, I would much rather have faced the Nuggets because of Curry's style of play. I think if the Spurs can just slime by on 4 wins however non-dominant they may be, that'll have to do. Unless game 1 was a fluke, it was a reality check that the Warriors are a little more for real than I thought. The Warriors played pretty darn good D too and it didn't help how cold San An was to start the game. I don't like these guys, not one bit. They're bad news tennis shoes to me.

Mugen
05-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Any Splitter updates?

raybies
05-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Imo on defense.
Deny him the ball to start at inbounds or at the halfcourt.
Bigger defender to start. Okc keeps thabo on Tony all game. Keep kawhi on him. Its the best option we got.
Make him a driver and stay at home with shooters.
On pnr, put mobile big on their big screener and make him drive.

raybies
05-08-2013, 04:05 PM
on defense.
Deny him the ball to start at inbounds or at the halfcourt.
Bigger defender to start. Okc keeps thabo on Tony all game. Keep kawhi on him. Its the best option we got.
Make him a driver and stay at home with shooters.
On pnr, mobile big on their big screener and make him drive.
On offense Tony is key. He's got to get comfortable with the big defender scheme.
They dais it already... Tony has to extend his range and settle for the 18 footer. If he sinks them it should open the lanes.
Duncan has to be ready to dunk the pick and pop.
For curry on defense, If green isnt hitting than Ginóbili has to come in and tale him.

objective
05-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Bench Joseph. Either play De Colo for length or Manu at point with Green or Leonard covering him. Bring in McGrady to absorb the minutes Joseph would have played.

Brazil
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Bench Joseph. Either play De Colo for length or Manu at point with Green or Leonard covering him. Bring in McGrady to absorb the minutes Joseph would have played.

McGrady ? too fast of a team to use him imho

hater
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Bring in McGrady to absorb the minutes Joseph would have played.

:lmao

spursince#99
05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Timmy set better screens for Tony.
Timmy step up on help D and actually contest the shot.
Kawhi play head to head man on Curry.
Trap hard and hedge on Curry coming off screen and roll.
close out hard on shooters without fouling.

Robz4000
05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Splitter needs to sack up and play. That alone will do wonders for the Spurs in many facets.

TMTTRIO
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
a lot fewer minutes for Manu. He said he really got tired during the game especially after never playing more than 20 minutes during the season. When he's tired he makes bad plays. Also hope Timmy is feeling better and is ready to play.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2013, 08:48 PM

One could also respond that rust, Tim Duncan's illness and Tiago Splitter's absence are the only reason the game was a contest.

therealtruth
05-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Pop's falling into to the trap of trying to match the Warriors game. I don't think that's going to work. The Spurs need to play defense and worry about playing their game.

Hoops Czar
05-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Spurs game 2 adjustments.... Do nothing!!

Hoops Czar
05-08-2013, 09:22 PM
One could also respond that rust, Tim Duncan's illness and Tiago Splitter's absence are the only reason the game was a contest.

I have to admit I Lol'ed at Tiago Splitter's absence.

fotan2
05-08-2013, 09:45 PM
the spurs have more problems on offence than on defence now.
those warriors backcourts are just unstoppable. even if you slow them down they still outscore us.

ElNono
05-08-2013, 09:50 PM
:pop: "I started Matty. we'll see if it works"

Obstructed_View
05-08-2013, 11:12 PM
I have to admit I Lol'ed at Tiago Splitter's absence.

And that's working out for you so far?

Brazil
05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I didn't think at such adjustment as playing diaw only 7 mn

Hoops Czar
05-09-2013, 02:06 AM
And that's working out for you so far?
You tell me. Not everybody wants to admit a panzy ass when they see one. But you can pretend that he's a difference maker if you want to.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
You tell me. Not everybody wants to admit a panzy ass when they see one. But you can pretend that he's a difference maker if you want to.

Every single stat will back up the fact that he is a difference maker. I don't need to pretend. I just watched the Spurs get assraped repeatedly in the paint and watched their offense grind to a halt without him. Pretty big difference tbh.