PDA

View Full Version : Karl wins COY, but who's the best coach?

RD2191
05-08-2013, 04:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58016/the-best-coach-in-the-nba

LakerHater
05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Spo & Woodson over Coach Pop!??

Richie
05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Spo & Woodson over Coach Pop!??

Pop won it last year so that likely cost him a lot of votes.

I think Karl did a great job with a pretty average group of players tbh. To get that Denver team to 3rd in the West is quite an achievement.

phxspurfan
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
with all the injuries, Karl did a great job in the regular season. Lawson, Gallo, are big players for him that both went down.

Mark in Austin
05-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I have no prob w/ it being Karl. Personally could have given it to Thibs, Pop, Spo, Jackson, Woodson, or Karl - they all did great jobs.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Gallo and Lawson went down very late in the year. Lawson was only out a couple games. He was able to play, lets not pretend Karl has injuries all over the court. Gallo was the only legitimate injury. There are people in Colorado that want Karl fired, the Nuggets have made it out of the first round ONCE in Karl's 8 or 9 years in Denver??? Pretty sad, and not indicative of a good coach. Further, the Nuggets never play D. It's the same thing every year, beasts in up tempo Offense, beasts on the fast break. Invisible Defensively, flame out in the first RD even when Denver is the favorite.

ALVAREZ6
05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Karl deserves it. These awards aren't "Best ____ in the Game". Otherwise Rose wouldn't have won MVP 2 years ago, that would have been Lebron's. Awards are largely meaningless.

mudyez
05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Just take a look at this list over the last 20 years:

Wilkins
Harris
Jackson
Riley
Bird
Dunleavy
Rivers
Brown
Carlisle
Pop
Hubie
D'Antonie
Johnson
Mitchel
Scott
Brown
Brooks
Thibs
Pop
Karl

It's just a farce...Not one coach since '63 has repeated and Phil Jackson has ONE!...Just as many as guys like D'Antoni, Dunleavy or AJ.

We are living in a world in that Del Harris has more COY-awards than Jerry Sloan and Don Nelson has as many as Phil and Pop combined!

This award + the ExecutiveOY award (Remember Dumars getting it for drafting Darco or the time Bird won it over R.C. just to make him COY, EOY, MVP etc.?) are just a joke.

I can handle Karl winning it, but this isn't a real award, but more like the IC-Belt in WWE (while EOY is the Diva-Belt).

It's like playing a NBA2K-Franchise with Paul Milsap winning DPOY'13 (and don't tell me, that didn't happen to you!).

Spurs4#5
05-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Wilkins
Harris
Jackson
Riley
Bird
Dunleavy
Rivers
Brown
Carlisle
Pop
Hubie
D'Antonie
Johnson
Mitchel
Scott
Brown
Brooks
Thibs
Pop
Karl

It's just a farce...Not one coach since '63 has repeated and Phil Jackson has ONE!...Just as many as guys like D'Antoni, Dunleavy or AJ.

We are living in a world in that Del Harris has more COY-awards than Jerry Sloan and Don Nelson has as many as Phil and Pop combined!

This award + the ExecutiveOY award (Remember Dumars getting it for drafting Darco or the time Bird won it over R.C. just to make him COY, EOY, MVP etc.?) are just a joke.

I can handle Karl winning it, but this isn't a real award, but more like the IC-Belt in WWE (while EOY is the Diva-Belt).

It's like playing a NBA2K-Franchise with Paul Milsap winning DPOY'13 (and don't tell me, that didn't happen to you!).

pop has gotten it twice

mudyez
05-08-2013, 06:03 PM
pop has gotten it twice

didn't say something else...don has 3 overall!

pgardn
05-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Pop and Thibs.

Doc.

severe drop after that IMO.

KaiRMD1
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Pop and Thibs definitely but Karl deserved the award more than anyone else did this year. He built a heck of a team that just happened to hit a speed bump against a hot team. He was actually my pick to win coach of the year away. Surprised ESPN picked Pop as number 1 though.

thiste
05-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Lol at Del Negro getting 8 votes.

exstatic
05-08-2013, 07:13 PM
:lol This HAS to be a media vote. Pop finishes 4th...with almost double the first place votes (11/6) of the 3rd place finisher. That means he was left OFF a lot of ballots.

pgardn
05-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Pop and Thibs definitely but Karl deserved the award more than anyone else did this year. He built a heck of a team that just happened to hit a speed bump against a hot team. He was actually my pick to win coach of the year away. Surprised ESPN picked Pop as number 1 though.

I think the OP asked who were really the best coaches.

I stand by my original answer to the original question.

hsxvvd
06-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Lol. Karl ...Coach of the Year so great his own team don't want him back.

Will the true coach of the year please stand up.

boutons_deux
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Wilkins
Harris
Jackson
Riley
Bird
Dunleavy
Rivers
Brown
Carlisle
Pop
Hubie
D'Antonie
Johnson
Mitchel
Scott
Brown
Brooks
Thibs
Pop
Karl

I read that PJ would never get COY as long as his success was named Michael Jordon.