PDA

View Full Version : So, is Kawhi Now Unable to Make Jump Shots?

superjames1992
05-08-2013, 11:13 PM
He used to be great from the corners, but he's practically bricking everything over the last month. Even his mid-range J and free throws are hurting.

I loved his intensity and energy tonight, but when he can't hit jump shots, it really screws up the offense and doesn't help our spacing, either.

superjames1992
05-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Bump.

hater
05-09-2013, 12:16 AM
no worries, seems he forgot to make free throws too

Lincoln
05-09-2013, 12:16 AM
:lol at spurfan hyping us this guy as a future all star

freetiago
05-09-2013, 12:18 AM
i made this thread in around February and everyone laughed
hes shot below league average since february from the 3 point line and his shots are all open
and with hero 9 playing hes relegated to spot up shooter

ironman2886
05-09-2013, 12:22 AM
He looked rattled tonight at the free throw line. Kawhi is doing everything else though( defending,rebounding.) Will he keep his poor shooting up? Don't know, but everyone was off tonight except Duncan.

Ice009
05-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Most of the Spurs players are piss poor shooters. I can't stand how bad they are at shooting (when that is the one thing I am somewhat good at ;). lol, really pisses me off watching a lot of them try to make a jumper. With a shooting coach like Chip Engelland they should be much better, or at least more consistent.

It seems to me, that some of the Spurs players are scared to get into a shooting contest with the Warriors, kinda like they have an inferiority complex that they can't match GS's shooters. They just gotta shoot with confidence and forget about how well the Warriors are shooting it.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Spurs allow 62 points at home in the first half and people worried about making jumpers.

Ice009
05-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Spurs allow 62 points at home in the first half and people worried about making jumpers.

Spurs were lacking confidence on the offensive end in the first half IMO. That, to me, was part of the reason why they were in a hole.

TheGoldStandard
05-09-2013, 12:45 AM
The defense will improve and Kawhi will have a better scoring performance. The FT's were questionable but that 3 is something he's missed consistently so not expecting them to fall all of a sudden. I'd rather he use a pump fake and drive to the hoop.

EricB
05-09-2013, 12:46 AM

When your down 6 allowing only 38 in the second half and can't make open shots.. Uh yeah.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 12:55 AM
When your down 6 allowing only 38 in the second half and can't make open shots.. Uh yeah.

:lol That must be where the other ten assists per game went.

People that aren't morons are wondering where the ball movement, the defense, the takeaways, the shot blocking, and the points in the paint went. But you keep focusing on jump shots.

superjames1992
05-09-2013, 12:59 AM
The Spurs scored 17 points in the 4th quarter and only allowed 38 points for Golden State in the second half, too...

superjames1992
05-09-2013, 01:00 AM
:lol That must be where the other ten assists per game went.

People that aren't morons are wondering where the ball movement, the defense, the takeaways, the shot blocking, and the points in the paint went. But you keep focusing on jump shots.
There were a boatload of open threes that would have cut the lead to five or so that were bricked by Kawhi, Hero, Manu, and Verde.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 01:31 AM
There were a boatload of open threes that would have cut the lead to five or so that were bricked by Kawhi, Hero, Manu, and Verde.

There were a lot of those in 2009 and 2010 and 2011 too. Playing to get three pointers is losing basketball. That was the reason Pop talked about a return to defense and started Splitter and Duncan together.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 01:34 AM
The Spurs scored 17 points in the 4th quarter and only allowed 38 points for Golden State in the second half, too...

Not sure why people keep mentioning it as though it matters. The Warriors were in the lead, they never gave it up. The Spurs' lineups put them in a position where even holding the team to 38 points in the second half wasn't good enough to make it a game. Also, their offense suddenly sucks and they're running plays for three pointers. Honestly, guys, am I the only person that remembers how that turned out?

RD2191
05-09-2013, 01:34 AM
There were a lot of those in 2009 and 2010 and 2011 too. Playing to get three pointers is losing basketball. That was the reason Pop talked about a return to defense and started Splitter and Duncan together.

Ive been saying it all year. You can even go back and check. You live by the 3 you die by the 3. This team has become way too reliant on the 3 point shot. Danny Green and his fluke 3s won't get you far in the playoffs.

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 01:38 AM
:lol at spurfan hyping us this guy as a future all star

I am sure you or some other Mavs fans were hyping Roddy up to be the next... HAHAHHAHAHAHA. Stay fishing man, get out and just stay fishing sir.

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Ive been saying it all year. You can even go back and check. You live by the 3 you die by the 3. This team has become way too reliant on the 3 point shot. Danny Green and his fluke 3s won't get you far in the playoffs.

Thats what has failed them the last few years, no doubt. The D is the key, they lost that and relied on threes! Thats a gimmick o! Late last year they played pretty O and had some great movement and were clicking! Outside of that run man the damn O has been reliant on stupid threes and we know as SPURS fans that never worked against us! We don't have a CURRY out there as far as shooters go from three, not even close.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 01:48 AM
We don't have a CURRY out there as far as shooters go from three, not even close.

Yet the Spurs are trying to beat the Warriors at that game. How much sense does that make?

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 02:15 AM
Yet the Spurs are trying to beat the Warriors at that game. How much sense does that make?

NONE! THEY HAVE NO PRIME SHOT BLOCKER! DRIVE DRIVE AND DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimbo
05-09-2013, 06:11 AM
i made this thread in around February and everyone laughed
hes shot below league average since february from the 3 point line and his shots are all open
and with hero 9 playing hes relegated to spot up shooter

Your thread was all what I was thinking when Kawhi was laying all those bricks

100%duncan
05-09-2013, 06:16 AM

Though, I agree to some extent, had those jumpers fallen we could've won the game.

Mal
05-09-2013, 06:24 AM

Of course. Warriors scored more points when they were enable to run, and defense wasnt set properly. It looked better in second half, when Spurs decided to attack the paint and have closer shots and threes werent awful bricks as well. Even if they didnt get through, defense had enough time to set. Warriors were limited to under 40 pts I believe, Curry had difficulties to set free and Thompson was open once for 3pts shots.

It looked like Pop did good corrections, but shots didnt fall through.

Budkin
05-09-2013, 06:33 AM
Kawhi is fine. Everyone shot like shit tonight. Next.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Though, I agree to some extent, had those jumpers fallen we could've won the game.

Lower quality shots don't go in. Shots that aren't in the rhythm of the offense don't go in. Designed three pointers don't go in as often as ones that are a result of broken down defense. The Spurs weren't beating anyone with twos, and suddenly had to rely on jumpers to save them. No jump shooting Spurs team has ever had playoff success. Ever.

therealtruth
05-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Lower quality shots don't go in. Shots that aren't in the rhythm of the offense don't go in. Designed three pointers don't go in as often as ones that are a result of broken down defense. The Spurs weren't beating anyone with twos, and suddenly had to rely on jumpers to save them. No jump shooting Spurs team has ever had playoff success. Ever.

Good point. I think if you're missing shots you have to play even better defense. Eventually that defense will feed your offense and help you establish better offensive rhythm. It's hard to establish offensive rhythm out of thin air.

hater
05-09-2013, 07:11 PM
:lmao at ppl blaming this loss on missed shots

WE LOST THE GAME IN THE 1st HALF. 62 points. Warriors ran a train on Spurs D and called it a day. and yet, we lost cause we missed some shots :lmao

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Yep, and the Spurs lost in 2006 because Manu committed a foul, not because the starting centers for sixty-plus regular season wins were on the bench.

Pentagruel
05-09-2013, 07:59 PM
If you can't hit open jumpers though then the opposing team will just clog the paint to prevent you from driving to the basket. To a degree this is what happened. Tony Parker couldn't get to the hoop because GS focused on taking away driving lanes and as a consequence we had open perimeter shooters. They missed wide open jumpers and that's a death knell to any team. We don't have a dominant power player like a LeBron James or prime Tim Duncan anymore to just take over the game. We rely on hitting wide open shots, just like Golden State does, and unfortunately we didn't hit them. Hitting outside shots keeps the opposing defense honest and allows Tony and others to get easy baskets in the paint. That's just the way it works : points in the paint and outside jumpers have a symbiotic relationship. You need the threat of both for the offense to really hum.

DarrinS
05-09-2013, 08:23 PM
If you can't hit open jumpers though then the opposing team will just clog the paint to prevent you from driving to the basket. To a degree this is what happened. Tony Parker couldn't get to the hoop because GS focused on taking away driving lanes and as a consequence we had open perimeter shooters. They missed wide open jumpers and that's a death knell to any team. We don't have a dominant power player like a LeBron James or prime Tim Duncan anymore to just take over the game. We rely on hitting wide open shots, just like Golden State does, and unfortunately we didn't hit them. Hitting outside shots keeps the opposing defense honest and allows Tony and others to get easy baskets in the paint. That's just the way it works : points in the paint and outside jumpers have a symbiotic relationship. You need the threat of both for the offense to really hum.

This is a very sold take. The warriors seem content to allow us perimeter shots -- until we start making them. And their length and congestion in the paint is definitely bothering Tony. GS will not spread out until we give them a reason to.

100%duncan
05-10-2013, 12:47 AM

That's not my point. Kawhi can't hit a shot. DG hit only 1 three. Neal and Manu were bricking all over the place. And a lot of those were WIDE open shots. I don't care if you say "Designed three pointers don't go in as often as ones that are a result of broken down defense." because there's no stat that can prove it.

Point is, had the Spurs made those open jumpers, freethrows, chip shots, we could've won the game.

100%duncan
05-10-2013, 12:53 AM
:lmao at ppl blaming this loss on missed shots

WE LOST THE GAME IN THE 1st HALF. 62 points. Warriors ran a train on Spurs D and called it a day. and yet, we lost cause we missed some shots :lmao

:rolleyes Yeah we lost the game on the first half yet we lost only lost 100 91.

So you can't blame it on missed shots?

Can't blame it that Danny Green went 2/6 from 3's, 4/12 total? Or Kawhi's 0/3 from deep, 1/5 from the line? How about Manu's 1/6 from 3? Or Neal's 2/9 from the field? Spurs were fucking 5/21 from 3 (24%) and 35-89 from the field(40%) but sure you can't blame the loss on that because we already lost it in the first half. :lol

We got blown out of the first half because of baaaaaaaaaaaaaad defense and excellent shooting, that's a given. But saying you can't blame the loss on missed shots is stupid. I gave you the stats, I think you can do the math yourself.

Man In Black
05-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Love Kawhi, but Jimmy Butler is having a more positive effect on his Bulls team. I think Kawhi will step up his game. He has to, if he doesn't this team will have a hard time getting past this round and higher. He has the tools...C'mon Chip...get him back online.

Stabula
05-10-2013, 02:17 AM
A lot of people who :lol @ the idea missed shots lost us the game weren't watching. Yeah the Spurs gave up a fuck ton of points but it looked like another epic come back was being written. If the Spurs just hit a few open shots instead of bricking everything they attempted then they could have won this game. It wouldn't have been pretty but yes they would have won.

skulls138
05-10-2013, 07:18 AM
A lot of people who :lol @ the idea missed shots lost us the game weren't watching. Yeah the Spurs gave up a fuck ton of points but it looked like another epic come back was being written. If the Spurs just hit a few open shots instead of bricking everything they attempted then they could have won this game. It wouldn't have been pretty but yes they would have won.We need D. In the very beginning we WERE making shots but so were they and we blinked first. We need enough D to make us think that we dont HAVE to make every shot. Then we'll relax and start sinking them.

KL2
05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
You guys gotta remember Kawhi isn't healthy, he hasn't been healthy the entire season, and his type of injury can only get worse as the season progresses. That could definitely play a role in the decline of his shooting since its his knee that is bothering him. Tendinitis can be pretty painful and it won't heal until this off season when he's got time to relax and be a potato couch.

He's missed a couple of games because of his knee, and nearly every time I've seen him dunk he's almost always got a grimace on his face meaning his knee must still be hurting.

Man In Black
05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Kawhi's knee is fine. Any pain he has is minimal. Look at how many minutes he plays and look how he jumps and runs during the game. No hesitation in anything physical. What is going on here is he is just missing shots he should make. Sometimes, in a high pressure series, you can be off. Still think he's awesome and hopefully, he will start making those shots or work harder to get a shot closer to the rim. The dunks are oh so nice!

Obstructed_View
05-10-2013, 01:09 PM
That's not my point. Kawhi can't hit a shot. DG hit only 1 three. Neal and Manu were bricking all over the place. And a lot of those were WIDE open shots. I don't care if you say "Designed three pointers don't go in as often as ones that are a result of broken down defense." because there's no stat that can prove it.

Point is, had the Spurs made those open jumpers, freethrows, chip shots, we could've won the game.

It's not your point, but it is THE point. A jumper, particularly from three point range, is not now nor will it ever be considered a high-percentage shot. The Spurs' offense has never ever been about making jumpshots except for the dark period between Oberto and Splitter. The Spurs allowed 61 points in the first half and were down by 20, and you act like it is less of a factor in the game because it happened first. You're talking about jumpers bringing a team back from that when the discussion should be about not allowing that to happen, which requires defense, rebounding and actual high-percentage shots. There may not be a stat to prove it, but you can't say you don't know it's absolutely the truth.

One of the cardinal rules of the playoffs is that you don't allow a good team to get out to a big lead. That can be true for the first quarter or the third. The Spurs' comeback in game 1 was the least probable in the history of the NBA playoffs, and you guys just expected the Spurs to do it a second time by jacking up a lot of outside shots.

You say "If only the Spurs had made their threes". I say "If only the Spurs had started their starters, played defense and used ball movement to get more layups". The former can come back and win a game once in a while, the second competes for championships instead of losing at home to 6 seeds.

InK
05-10-2013, 01:34 PM
The real problem is that Parker is hurt, he doesn't have that usual burst in his legs that breaks down opposing defense. Spurs are build around Parker's ability to do that, and all the ball movement comes after Parker makes his move and D collapses. He is really our only creator at this moment, with Manu being a distant second. So of course Spurs offense looks bad with a hobbled Parker, it might have not show in the regular season when defenses were not on total lockdown like in the PO, but it sure as hell shows now.

And on defense, its the same story. They have Jack, Curry and Thompson, all guarded by someone who cant prevent them from going into the paint. Usually we hide Manu on a lesser player, but the GS backcourt is so strong, that that doesn't really work to well here. Furthermore with Parker being hampered by injuries and not being to keep up with Curry, we have no choice but putting him on Jack. So that leaves Manu on Thompson, Parker on Jack, and Green/Kawhi on Curry. Which is just a total disaster, but there is really no other option. Everyone one of this 3 guys beats our guys of the dribble, and it just creates complete havoc in paint. They get wide open jumpshots, layups, dunks, easy 3's because of that. If Parker was healthy he could do a great job on Curry, Manu would be on Jack, and Kawhi on Thompson. That looks a lot better on paper to me.

GrandeDavid
05-10-2013, 02:17 PM
And he can't make free throws.

Brazil
05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
FUCK YOU!! This is just disrespectful to KAWI.. Stop making thread like this man.. Have some respect for the guy.. His trying to give everything for this team...

superjames1992
05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
FUCK YOU!! This is just disrespectful to KAWI.. Stop making thread like this man.. Have some respect for the guy.. His trying to give everything for this team...

I will stop making them when people stop making threads criticizing Tony, Manu, Matty, Green, Pop, etc. Everyone is giving their all but sometimes that isn't good enough.

superjames1992
05-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Kawhi is shooting 32.3% from three since the All Star Break, tbh.

skulls138
05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
FUCK YOU!! This is just disrespectful to KAWI.. Stop making thread like this man.. Have some respect for the guy.. His trying to give everything for this team...Agreed. He was 5-11, tops in rebounds, had a steal and two blocked shots. Not great but not a reason for him to be singled out. Everybody needed and needs to do better.

Brazil
05-10-2013, 04:14 PM
:lol

superjames1992
05-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Agreed. He was 5-11, tops in rebounds, had a steal and two blocked shots. Not great but not a reason for him to be singled out. Everybody needed and needs to do better.
Yes, he was excellent at running the fast break and scoring there. In the half-court set, he was pretty useless, though, tbh, aside from putbacks on the offensive glass.

I don't mean to demean Kawhi, but our game is predicated off of Tony driving and dishing to open shooters on the perimeter. When Kawhi can't hit jack from beyond the arc, that means the only three-point shooter we have with the starting lineup is Danny Green. That's a problem, especially when Danny typically spends most of his time building brick houses during the playoffs.

Chinook
05-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Yes, he was excellent at running the fast break and scoring there. In the half-court set, he was pretty useless, though, tbh, aside from putbacks on the offensive glass.

I don't mean to demean Kawhi, but our game is predicated off of Tony driving and dishing to open shooters on the perimeter. When Kawhi can't hit jack from beyond the arc, that means the only three-point shooter we have with the starting lineup is Danny Green. That's a problem, especially when Danny typically spends most of his time building brick houses during the playoffs.

Here we go again with that crap. Green has shot 8/15 from three this series. He's still doing his job from that end. The problem is that the Spurs are relying on him making more than 50 percent of his shots to win -- which is completely unrealistic to expect from any player.

Plain and simple, the Spurs won't win if Duncan keeps getting beat by Bogut. Splitter coming back should help divide Bogut's attention, but the Spurs absolutely can't lose the battle inside. I know people don't want to hear it, but all that talk about Duncan turning back time and being an MVP candidate will mean nothing if he can't be the best big on the floor for the rest of the playoffs. I'll chalk the first two games up to his illness and having Bonner or Diaw next to him. But Pop needs to start Splitter to give the Spurs their best chance to play their brand of basketball. Green and Leonard stepped up in the first game; Tiago needs to step up now.

superjames1992
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Here we go again with that crap. Green has shot 8/15 from three this series. He's still doing his job from that end. The problem is that the Spurs are relying on him making more than 50 percent of his shots to win -- which is completely unrealistic to expect from any player.
Not really disagreeing. Danny was really good in game 1 and, of course, made that clutch shot at the end of regulation.

However, he was pretty terrible on Wednesday night and was certainly a reason (among many others) that we lost.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Anyone think Pop may have ruined Kawhi's confidence? Pop has been forcing Kawhi to sit in the corner, and he's capable of more, maybe Pop ignoring Kawhi hurt his confidence in his shot. Or maybe Kawhi has worked so hard in other areas that he lost his shooting skills. Either way, we need Kawhi to play the best he ever has right now.

DesignatedT
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Anyone think Pop may have ruined Kawhi's confidence? Pop has been forcing Kawhi to sit in the corner, and he's capable of more, maybe Pop ignoring Kawhi hurt his confidence in his shot. Or maybe Kawhi has worked so hard in other areas that he lost his shooting skills. Either way, we need Kawhi to play the best he ever has right now.

Oh stop.

RD2191
05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Pop and company probably ruined kawhis game like they did to splitters.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Oh stop.
Just asking a question. There has to be a reason his shot has declined so much since the AS game, maybe it is just injuries.

Chinook
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Not really disagreeing. Danny was really good in game 1 and, of course, made that clutch shot at the end of regulation.

However, he was pretty terrible on Wednesday night and was certainly a reason (among many others) that we lost.

No argument that he shot poorly. But you implied he normally shoots poorly in the playoffs, and that's not true. Over his career, he's shot 37 percent from three in the post-season. This year, he's shooting 44 percent. Don't confuse him not taking many threes against the Lakers with him missing a lot.

Chinook
05-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Just asking a question. There has to be a reason his shot has declined so much since the AS game, maybe it is just injuries.

I'm surprised people haven't assumed teams have been trying harder to stop Leonard now that he's getting recognition. That seems much more likely than all this anti-Pop stuff.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm surprised people haven't assumed teams have been trying harder to stop Leonard now that he's getting recognition. That seems much more likely than all this anti-Pop stuff.

I really haven't seen much of that, especially with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. Maybe I'm crazy, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I wasn't trying to be anti-Pop, I was just asking a question.

100%duncan
05-10-2013, 09:01 PM
It's not your point, but it is THE point. A jumper, particularly from three point range, is not now nor will it ever be considered a high-percentage shot. The Spurs' offense has never ever been about making jumpshots except for the dark period between Oberto and Splitter. The Spurs allowed 61 points in the first half and were down by 20, and you act like it is less of a factor in the game because it happened first. You're talking about jumpers bringing a team back from that when the discussion should be about not allowing that to happen, which requires defense, rebounding and actual high-percentage shots. There may not be a stat to prove it, but you can't say you don't know it's absolutely the truth.

One of the cardinal rules of the playoffs is that you don't allow a good team to get out to a big lead. That can be true for the first quarter or the third. The Spurs' comeback in game 1 was the least probable in the history of the NBA playoffs, and you guys just expected the Spurs to do it a second time by jacking up a lot of outside shots.

You say "If only the Spurs had made their threes". I say "If only the Spurs had started their starters, played defense and used ball movement to get more layups". The former can come back and win a game once in a while, the second competes for championships instead of losing at home to 6 seeds.

No bruh, you and hater acted like we already lost it in the first half, no. So for my response to your post I'm just going to quote what I've posted in response of Hater.

:rolleyes Yeah we lost the game on the first half yet we lost only lost 100 91.

So you can't blame it on missed shots?

Can't blame it that Danny Green went 2/6 from 3's, 4/12 total? Or Kawhi's 0/3 from deep, 1/5 from the line? How about Manu's 1/6 from 3? Or Neal's 2/9 from the field? Spurs were fucking 5/21 from 3 (24%) and 35-89 from the field(40%) but sure you can't blame the loss on that because we already lost it in the first half. :lol

We got blown out of the first half because of baaaaaaaaaaaaaad defense and excellent shooting, that's a given. But saying you can't blame the loss on missed shots is stupid. I gave you the stats, I think you can do the math yourself.