PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts After Game 2 Loss to Warriors

timvp
05-09-2013, 12:52 AM
-I tip my cap to the Warriors. They've had stretches of GREAT basketball in the first two games. They've hit tough shots, played with ferocity and don't act intimidated at all. Congrats and I really can't take anything away from them. Subtract their RJ-laden minutes and they've played outstanding.

-Coming into this series, it's obvious that the Warriors are sharper. The Spurs were lackadaisical to end the regular season. The Lolkers sucked. So, basically, the Spurs have had to rev up to full speed from a cold motor, while the Warriors were already going 100 MPH after their series against the Nuggets.

-I was frustrated during the game but -- thinking about it -- the Spurs kinda need this. We saw what happened last year when they breezed through the first two rounds. The Spurs have always had some sort of adversity in their successful playoff runs (Game 2 loss vs. T'Wolves in 1999, Phoenix Game 1 in 2003, Nuggets and Sonics in 2005, Game 1 vs. Nuggets in 2007). Honestly, if the Spurs can't win a game in Golden State, they weren't going to beat Memphis/OKC and definitely not the Heat.

-Can the Warriors play any better? Their crowd will make it tough in the next two games but I can't really imagine them taking their game to another level. Then again, maybe Curry drops 50 or 60 at home. I guess we'll see.

-Curry and Thompson are the best shooting backcourt ever. Good call, Mark Jackson. I'm still in awe of Curry's one-footed running three-pointer. I mean, WTF? And Thompson played the game of his life.

-Speaking of Thompson, the Spurs can hope for some regression with him. He was 11-for-33 in the three home games against the Nuggets. The guy is a good player -- but what he did tonight was ridiculous.

-I'm trying to wrap my head around some of Pop's decisions. Bonner starting? The only way that made a little bit of sense is if Diaw was hurt ... but Diaw played so that doesn't seem to be the reason. Yeah, Bonner has been hot in the playoffs thus far ... but starting him? I don't even ..............

-Diaw was pretty damn great to end Game 1. To go from that to 8 minutes tonight. He has to be hurting, right?

-The Spurs have four assists at the half and then Pop starts Neal to begin the third? That was another WTF moment. The biggest ballhog on the team isn't who needs to be in the lineup when the Spurs are having trouble sharing.

-Someone kindly tell Bonner that flopping on every rebound and screen isn't going to do anything. That gets called like 0.1% of the time. Thanks in advance.

-Duncan was still obviously slowed. He can push through his lack of vigor on the offensive end but the defense is where it's really hurting him. He's about a step slow right now and that's really obvious against a Warriors team who is trying to spread the court to attack mismatches.

-Parker is also slowed. When he's whole, he's a perfect matchup for Curry. AFIAR, prior to this series, Curry has never done much against TP. But with Parker not quite as swift as usual, now suddenly there is no one for him to defend. The Spurs have to hope he heals enough to where they can at least hide him on someone.

-The Spurs need to employ a lot more of Leonard on Curry. Hell, start the game like that and keep it that way. I liked Green on Curry too a little bit. But right now, that man is too hot to not put someone with length on him.

-Another Warrior who needs to simmer down is Daymond Green. He was a 20% three-point shooter during the regular season. He's 3-for-6 in this series including that huge three in the fourth when the Spurs seemed to have gained control. He's the player the Spurs need to theoretically double off of every possession ... but he needs to start cooperating.

-Outside of missed free throws and threes, I was pretty pleased with Kawhi. Just keep it up and clean it up.

-Same holds true for Green. The Spurs need him to shoot better but he at least shot with confidence.

-I'm not sure what the Spurs should do at backup PG. I really don't. I want to say I have confidence in Joseph -- but I'm unsure right now if he's ready for this level of competition. He probably didn't get enough reps during the regular season to be ready for this. But then again, Neal and Ginobili as the backup guards doesn't excite me -- especially since Neal hasn't been the backup point guard in a long while.

-It wasn't a bad return for Splitter but I thought he could have done a lot better. He missed a few rebounds and his D wasn't exactly superb, either. And I know he only missed one shot but, man, that was a big/frustrating miss.

-I realize Spurs fans probably aren't happy with Pop going small so often in this series -- but I think I agree with Pop. If Leonard is at PF and Duncan/Splitter at C, that should be enough size against this team. That said, I'd love for Duncan and Splitter to start Game 3 so the Spurs can at least try to get back to what made them such a successful team during the regular season. Adjust if that doesn't work but don't change your stripes from the opening tip.

-I really don't know how this series is going to play out. The Warriors have clearly been the better team in the first two games. However, the Spurs have a lot more room for improvement. The Warriors might just keep rolling -- or the Spurs could gain some traction and start to impose their will. I really don't know right now. The Spurs shook my confidence with the way they played down the stretch of the season.

-A win in Game 3 or Game 4 could be a galvanizing type of win. It could be a turning point in these playoffs for San Antonio. It'll be tough ... but that's what the playoffs are about.

-Game 3 is the much more winnable game. First of all, the turnaround to Game 4 is a really quick one -- which will obviously hurt the Spurs a lot more. But just as importantly, the Warriors would have a ton of momentum heading into Game 4 if they win Game 3. And as we saw last season, these Spurs aren't exactly built to overcome teams with momentum.

-My gun-to-the-head prediction right now would be Spurs in 7. Speaking of Game 7, that'd be a damn tough game for the Warriors to win. The Spurs would have two days off, be at home and their experience advantage would have to come into play. So, at the very least, the Spurs need to win Game 5 and one of the next three road games to force a Game 7.

-Come on Spurs, the West is so tantalizingly wide open right now. Just come on. Rekindle some magic and knock these young pups back on their heels. Bounce back from this chin check. Now's the time to show what you're made of and how much you want this. Please?

InRareForm
05-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Good thoughts.

the Lakers was maybe a bad thing to have as a first round. Went from 0 to 100mph just like that from an opponent in regards to speed and outside shooting.

Robz4000
05-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Zero confidence in this team right now. Game 1 was awesome, but it was a fluke. I can see Golden State winning this in 5.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Hard to wear down the legs of a jump shooting team when all you do back at them is shoot jump shots.

Small Spurs lineups allow a lot of made baskets, don't take chances and don't rebound. That means no turnovers, no running, no easy scoring opportunities.

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 01:11 AM
agreed with pretty much everything. I've been saying all night that the home court really can't do much for the warriors because they really can't play much better.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
05-09-2013, 01:13 AM
-

-Come on Spurs, the West is so tantalizingly wide open right now. Just come on. Rekindle some magic and knock these young pups back on their heels. Bounce back from this chin check. Now's the time to show what you're made of and how much you want this. Please?

THIS.
well said

T Park
05-09-2013, 01:14 AM
I agree with small ball too, but would start Splitter in game 3 and try to return to the regular bigs rotation.

I also can't believe Tracy McGrady could be any worse than Gary Neal. Almost impossible.

Legacy
05-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Now we officially have a series. :D

Boomersgold
05-09-2013, 01:17 AM
-Can the Warriors play any better? Their crowd will make it tough in the next two games but I can't really imagine them taking their game to another level. Then again, maybe Curry drops 50 or 60 at home. I guess we'll see.

-Curry and Thompson are the best shooting backcourt ever. Good call, Mark Jackson. I'm still in awe of Curry's one-footed running three-pointer. I mean, WTF? And Thompson played the game of his life.

-Speaking of Thompson, the Spurs can hope for some regression with him. He was 11-for-33 in the three home games against the Nuggets. The guy is a good player -- but what he did tonight was ridiculous.

-I'm trying to wrap my head around some of Pop's decisions. Bonner starting? The only way that made a little bit of sense is if Diaw was hurt ... but Diaw played so that doesn't seem to be the reason. Yeah, Bonner has been hot in the playoffs thus far ... but starting him? I don't even ..............

-Diaw was pretty damn great to end Game 1. To go from that to 8 minutes tonight. He has to be hurting, right?

-The Spurs have four assists at the half and then Pop starts Neal to begin the third? That was another WTF moment. The biggest ballhog on the team isn't who needs to be in the lineup when the Spurs are having trouble sharing.

-Someone kindly tell Bonner that flopping on every rebound and screen isn't going to do anything. That gets called like 0.1% of the time. Thanks in advance.

-Duncan was still obviously slowed. He can push through his lack of vigor on the offensive end but the defense is where it's really hurting him. He's about a step slow right now and that's really obvious against a Warriors team who is trying to spread the court to attack mismatches.

-Parker is also slowed. When he's whole, he's a perfect matchup for Curry. AFIAR, prior to this series, Curry has never done much against TP. But with Parker not quite as swift as usual, now suddenly there is no one for him to defend. The Spurs have to hope he heals enough to where they can at least hide him on someone.

-The Spurs need to employ a lot more of Leonard on Curry. Hell, start the game like that and keep it that way. I liked Green on Curry too a little bit. But right now, that man is too hot to not put someone with length on him.

Yes, the Warriors can play better. Bogut has yet to return to the level that he was at during his Milwaukee days (~14 points, ~11 rebounds) and David Lee is still out.

spurraider21
05-09-2013, 01:19 AM
thanks for the thoughts... your "random thoughts" pieces are a personal favorite of mine. one thing i disagree with whats going on is our propensity to match the warriors by playing small ball ourselves. we are playing RIGHT into their hands by trying to play small and run with them. the reason we have been calling Splitter the difference maker this year (in a potential matchup with OKC) is that we can impose our will with 2 bigs and force them to abandon small ball. the same can be said for the warriors. if we play Timmy and Tiago together, they'd have to account for that. would they have harrison barnes defending tiago? I would attack that pick and roll ALL day and let tiago finish. if not, we have the obvious size advantage to pick up every rebound. starting tim/tiago and playing them together for longer stretches will force them to have landry/ezeli on the floor instead. landry undersized and a pretty lousy defender, so TP would still be able to go to work against that lineup, and ezeli is so limited offensively it will really hamper what the Warriors are trying to do on offense.

if our opponents strength is their speed/shooting and their weakness is their interior, why are we matching up with them in a way to try to rival their strength and to ignore their weakness?

ezau
05-09-2013, 01:21 AM
So what are the pros and cons of starting Duncan and Splitter in Game 3? I'm still confused why we can't play big against these guys.

freetiago
05-09-2013, 01:22 AM
If Spurs dont play big they have no chance
no one is the league has better smallball then the Warriors
Spurs has been a weakness for a while and its fallen off from the last 2 seasons level

GS is definitely playing above their level though
looking at these 2 games specifically
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201302220GSW.html

Curry 6/14
Thompson 5/14
Barnes 1/8
SA had no answer for Jack and Landry though

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201303200SAS.html
in this game Curry and Thompson were held below their averages also

Splitter has played well vs Golden State every time
they did have avi Lee playing though

mercos
05-09-2013, 01:23 AM
This game was more encouraging for me than game 1. With the exception of leaving Klay Thompson wide open on far to many occasions, the defense was much better in game 2. The Spurs had a bad shooting night, and that cost them the game. If you hold Golden State to 100 points, you have to beat them. They are not a defensive juggernaut, and the Spurs created plenty of open looks. The Warriors have relied on amazing performances from Thompson and Curry to beat us. If they have a bad game at any point in this series, the Spurs should have an easy win.

ezau
05-09-2013, 01:27 AM
thanks for the thoughts... your "random thoughts" pieces are a personal favorite of mine. one thing i disagree with whats going on is our propensity to match the warriors by playing small ball ourselves. we are playing RIGHT into their hands by trying to play small and run with them. the reason we have been calling Splitter the difference maker this year (in a potential matchup with OKC) is that we can impose our will with 2 bigs and force them to abandon small ball. the same can be said for the warriors. if we play Timmy and Tiago together, they'd have to account for that. would they have harrison barnes defending tiago? I would attack that pick and roll ALL day and let tiago finish. if not, we have the obvious size advantage to pick up every rebound. starting tim/tiago and playing them together for longer stretches will force them to have landry/ezeli on the floor instead. landry undersized and a pretty lousy defender, so TP would still be able to go to work against that lineup, and ezeli is so limited offensively it will really hamper what the Warriors are trying to do on offense.

if our opponents strength is their speed/shooting and their weakness is their interior, why are we matching up with them in a way to try to rival their strength and to ignore their weakness?

Fair enough. What I'm worried about is POP will roll out a small-ball lineup out there to match up against GSW. I hope he's not too stubborn this time around.

SpurPadre
05-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Good thoughts, timvp. Thing is, if Diaw doesn't feel quite right yet, would starting Blair be a good idea at this point? The TNT guys suggested as much but I don't know...

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Let curry get his, the key is shutting down other guys.

In the Nuggs series, momentum swung when Jack and Thompson were shut down, but GK screwed the momentum up in game 6!

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 01:29 AM
So what are the pros and cons of starting Duncan and Splitter in Game 3? I'm still confused why we can't play big against these guys.

I'm still confused why in a 48 minute game, Duncan and Splitter are back to playing zero minutes together.

J.T.
05-09-2013, 01:31 AM
The Warriors have pretty much hit their ceiling, I think. Almost seems like Curry has been possessed by Dirk. But they have to start missing. They have to.

Legacy
05-09-2013, 01:32 AM

:pop: ... Hi there!

HarlemHeat37
05-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Timvp, what do you think about the double teams and hard close outs on Harrison Barnes, Bogut, etc?..

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 01:33 AM

We had a series on MONDAY! WE JUST STOLE THAT GAME LOL, that was a wakeup and said we are here! That game should have made it a official they are here for the series bro lol.
The Warriors have pretty much hit their ceiling, I think. Almost seems like Curry has been possessed by Dirk. But they have to start missing. They have to.

Curry didn't have a lights out night though! Did he?

ironman2886
05-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Yes, the Warriors can play better. Bogut has yet to return to the level that he was at during his Milwaukee days (~14 points, ~11 rebounds) and David Lee is still out.
Bogut from the Bucks isn't going to show up. Sorry. Duncan is having his way with him on most possessions. Bogut looks out of breath and is grimacing everytime they show his face. He is still a solid center though. David Lee has a torn hip flexor. He can neither play, and Jackson doesn't think the team needs him at the moment.

Legacy
05-09-2013, 01:40 AM
We had a series on MONDAY! WE JUST STOLE THAT GAME LOL, that was a wakeup and said we are here! That game should have made it a official they are here for the series bro lol.

Chillax, BRO. I mean a REAL series. All the other series are tied 1-1 as well. We can't sweep 'em every single time. :lol

TE
05-09-2013, 01:42 AM
I just can't stomach seeing scrubs like Barnes and Green morph into Ray Allen. Guarantee that shit won't hold up tbh...

Whisky Dog
05-09-2013, 01:42 AM
tbh other than Draymond Scrub Ass Green hitting that 3 and a couple of shots from Jack GS was begging the Spurs to take this game in the 4th. The Spurs were so bad putting the ball in the hole that they gave it away. Wide open 3s, a 7ft Tiago missing a 6 inch shot, layups and inside shots blown... If the Spurs even play remotely like what they can do and did for stretches this season it'll be a 6 game series at most

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Duncan and Splitter don't work together in this series, unfortunately. We'd be far too slow and Splitter isn't good enough to make it a mismatch in our favor. Barnes can handle splitter down low because he is just as strong if not stronger and splitter doesn't have great moves. This is a great oppurtunity for splitter to get back into game shape, however, as he isn't needed and should just play spot minutes for Duncan. There shouldn't be a moment in the game where one of either splitter, duncan, or diaw is in the game though

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 01:48 AM

I love the return of the pre-2013 "hope the other team misses" defense.

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 01:51 AM
I love the return of the pre-2013 "hope the other team misses" defense.

is there another option? the defense on thompson today at times was shaky, but looking at Curry in game 1 there was really nothing you could do. If these 2 are gonna continue to make every shot they take, kudos to them. They deserve to win the series if thats the case, and quite frankly the spurs don't really stand a chance if Curry shoots like he did in game 1 3 more times or if Thompson replicates his performance tonight

E20
05-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Never in Klay Thompsons life will he ever shoot 8/9 on threes again. That was the biggest fluke I've ever seen since 0.4. Anyhoo, aside from a rookies career game, shit just wasn't going our way, Spurs should have never allowed themselves to be down especially with Curry shooting for 7/20. A combination of badly managing PT and random bullshit happening is why Spurs lost. I expect Spurs split the next two games and win in 6.

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2013, 01:52 AM
make the goddamn wide open threes

AaronY
05-09-2013, 01:53 AM
tbh other than Draymond Scrub Ass Green hitting that 3 and a couple of shots from Jack GS was begging the Spurs to take this game in the 4th. The Spurs were so bad putting the ball in the hole that they gave it away. Wide open 3s, a 7ft Tiago missing a 6 inch shot, layups and inside shots blown... If the Spurs even play remotely like what they can do and did for stretches this season it'll be a 6 game series at mostrofl

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 01:55 AM
make the goddamn wide open threes

tbh

RD2191
05-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Never in Klay Thompsons life will he ever shoot 8/9 on threes again. That was the biggest fluke I've ever seen since 0.4. Anyhoo, aside from a rookies career game, shit just wasn't going our way, Spurs should have never allowed themselves to be down especially with Curry shooting for 7/20. A combination of badly managing PT and random bullshit happening is why Spurs lost. I expect Spurs split the next two games and win in 6.

That's all it takes. Ibaka goes 10-10 and that series was over.

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Warriors biggest advantage is coaching (so far)

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 02:00 AM
is there another option? the defense on thompson today at times was shaky, but looking at Curry in game 1 there was really nothing you could do.

Well, you could send Timmy out to where Bogut was steamrolling the fuck out of Parker or Joseph so Curry wasn't standing there shooting uncontested jumpers. Exhibit A: They did it tonight and Curry didn't go apeshit. Go back and watch game 1 and see how many times it was a Spurs defender with Curry and a screener with nobody else in sight. Every time the Spurs had two guys up there the pass went back to Bogut, who either stood there praying someone would come back for him to pass the ball to, or he'd take a dribble toward the basket and try a shot. Problem with that is that every time he'd do that Timmy would go after him and someone else would get a layup or dunk because they had a guard failing to block them out. Yet another downside of the small lineup.

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Well, you could send Timmy out to where Bogut was steamrolling the fuck out of Parker or Joseph so Curry wasn't standing there shooting uncontested jumpers. Exhibit A: They did it tonight and Curry didn't go apeshit. Go back and watch game 1 and see how many times it was a Spurs defender with Curry and a screener with nobody else in sight. Every time the Spurs had two guys up there the pass went back to Bogut, who either stood there praying someone would come back for him to pass the ball to, or he'd take a dribble toward the basket and try a shot. Problem with that is that every time he'd do that Timmy would go after him and someone else would get a layup or dunk because they had a guard failing to block them out. Yet another downside of the small lineup.

However, if you go back and watch game 1 you will also see Curry was shooting 30 footers and rolling the ball to himself and shooting anyways. No doubt the defense has to get better, but Curry is about the only player in the league who makes those types of shots consistently. Playing bigger definitely isn't the solution, especially with Tim and Tiago. Boris would work potentially and Tiago is surprisingly good on switches, but I still think going small is our best bet. I do want to go back and watch game 1 though to see what the issue is, you may be right.

Tuddy
05-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Splitter has to go at Barnes on the pnr he's got 3 inches on him. got no reason to worry about getting blocked he's not playing against 2 seven foshers anymore

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:18 AM
However, if you go back and watch game 1 you will also see Curry was shooting 30 footers and rolling the ball to himself and shooting anyways. No doubt the defense has to get better, but Curry is about the only player in the league who makes those types of shots consistently. Playing bigger definitely isn't the solution, especially with Tim and Tiago. Boris would work potentially and Tiago is surprisingly good on switches, but I still think going small is our best bet. I do want to go back and watch game 1 though to see what the issue is, you may be right.
The thing is: We don't know how to play small ball, our D is shit/our O is shit, playing small definitely isn't the solution.
Tiago and Boris are above average PnR defenders.
Kawhi/TD/Splitter frontcourt is really good defensively.
Also no Bonner/no Neal should help

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:21 AM
The thing is: We don't know how to play small ball, our D is shit/our O is shit, playing small definitely isn't the solution.
Tiago and Boris are above average PnR defenders.
Kawhi/TD/Splitter frontcourt is really good defensively.
Also no Bonner/no Neal should help

this is a hard series to analyze because you really can make a case for going big or small. I personally like the idea of going small more just so we can switch better, but now that I think about it I do see the perks of having another big out there. If we had two of Tim I'd be all for it, the problem is I just don't think Tiago is good enough to impose his will and the mismatch will be more in favor of GSW.

Mal
05-09-2013, 02:21 AM
They showed, in 2nd half, that their offense have flaws. Curry wasnt that effective. Thompson wasnt wide open. Jack hit some impossible jumpers, but defense could live with that. Barnes, Green, Bogut, Landry - they arent that dangerous.

Spurs rebounded better than in game 1. Better offensive efficiency, will help defense to go back, set and defend. Warriors had too many fast breaks. Long rebound, run, 2 passes = wide open 3.

Spurs are capable of taking HCA in Oakland, I dont doubt it.

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:23 AM
this is a hard series to analyze because you really can make a case for going big or small. I personally like the idea of going small more just so we can switch better, but now that I think about it I do see the perks of having another big out there. If we had two of Tim I'd be all for it, the problem is I just don't think Tiago is good enough to impose his will and the mismatch will be more in favor of GSW.
..............You know that our problem is D right?

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:26 AM
..............You know that our problem is D right?

Right, well a lot of people are saying we should go big to impose our will offensively and force them to adjust to us. I don't think Tiago is capable of that, and I don't see how he next to Tim helps us defensively. It might make scoring down low harder, but we would be so much slower on the perimeter which is GSW's strength

RD2191
05-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Tiago is a pussy and couldn't even score on guys he has 3 to 4 inches on. Should of gone after big al. At least he holds his own on offense.

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:35 AM
Right, well a lot of people are saying we should go big to impose our will offensively and force them to adjust to us. I don't think Tiago is capable of that, and I don't see how he next to Tim helps us defensively. It might make scoring down low harder, but we would be so much slower on the perimeter which is GSW's strength
Diaw/Splitter always step up when our guards get beat off the dribble and they are quick enough to defend PGs/SGs/SFs.
Small ball = if our guards get beat off the dribble, that's it, guaranteed basket.
Small ball = We double scrubs because our players can't hold their own.
On offense, bigs set screens/move without the ball, guards just stand in the corner, our Offense is isoball
I

Floyd Pacquiao
05-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Spurs shot 39% from the field and 23% from 3 point land... A case of good Warrior D or Spurs going cold?

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Diaw/Splitter always step up when our guards get beat off the dribble and they are quick enough to defend PGs/SGs/SFs.
Small ball = if our guards get beat off the dribble, that's it, guaranteed basket.
On offense, bigs set screens/move without the ball, guards just stand in the corner, our Offense is isoball
I

I guess, but how does that solve the issue of Tony having to guard Barnes which seems to cause a lot of problems? I'm not even being antagonizing, I'm curious as to what you think

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:37 AM
Spurs shot 39% from the field and 23% from 3 point land... A case of good Warrior D or Spurs going cold?

Spurs getting cold

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:40 AM
I guess, but how does that solve the issue of Tony having to guard Barnes which seems to cause a lot of problems? I'm not even being antagonizing, I'm curious as to what you think
Barnes isn't good offensively, just let him shot jumpers, i wouldn't front him or double...

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:44 AM
Barnes isn't good offensively, just let him shot jumpers, i wouldn't front him or double...

But he's been posting Tony pretty deep, which causes our whole defense to collapse. Idk the whole series is a matchup problem for us, I wish David Lee was back :lol

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:47 AM
But he's been posting Tony pretty deep, which causes our whole defense to collapse. Idk the whole series is a matchup problem for us, I wish David Lee was back :lol
Me too, Lee is a cancer.
Spurs shouldn't overreact to Barnes posting Tony/TP shouldn't allow him to post, most of Barnes points are from attacking the basket/wide open 3s. Give him space and let him take 18-footers

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:50 AM
Me too, Lee is a cancer.
Spurs shouldn't overreact to Barnes posting Tony/TP shouldn't allow him to post, most of Barnes points are from attacking the basket/wide open 3s. Give him space and let him take 18-footers

unfortunately, barnes has looked like a real threat posting up. He hasn't really scored, but that's because he hasn't shot due to the collapsing. Still, without defense coming over, he will have a wide open layup every time. Barnes is a good player tbh, he will dominate parker down low if no one helps. Rewatch the games and you will see time and time again barnes has his way with parker until someone comes over.

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:53 AM
unfortunately, barnes has looked like a real threat posting up. He hasn't really scored, but that's because he hasn't shot due to the collapsing. Still, without defense coming over, he will have a wide open layup every time. Barnes is a good player tbh, he will dominate parker down low if no one helps. Rewatch the games and you will see time and time again barnes has his way with parker until someone comes over.
I would take my chances with him vs Tony than with Curry/Thompson shooting wide open 3s

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:54 AM
I would take my chances with him vs Tony than with Curry/Thompson shooting wide open 3s

I guess. I'd like to think Pop could figure this out instead of us :lol

05-09-2013, 02:56 AM
Shit the Warriors aren't the Thunder, they aren't a better team than the Spurs. The loss last year against the Thunder could not be helped because the Thunder were a flat out better team than the Spurs. I would say the Warriors are pretty even with the Spurs, they are just playing with way more effort and energy. Spurs need to wake up, otherwise this loss will be because they are soft and apathetic, not because the Warriors are the superior team. Everyone from the players to the coaching staff need to make adjustments. Shut down Klay Thompson and Barnes and let Curry shoot whatever he wants. Thompson should not be scoring so efficiently and gaining confidence.

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Shit the Warriors aren't the Thunder, they aren't a better team than the Spurs. The loss last year against the Thunder could not be helped because the Thunder were a flat out better team than the Spurs. I would say the Warriors are pretty even with the Spurs, they are just playing with way more effort and energy. Spurs need to wake up, otherwise this loss will be because they are soft and apathetic, not because the Warriors are the superior team. Everyone from the players to the coaching staff need to make adjustments. Shut down Klay Thompson and Barnes and let Curry shoot whatever he wants. Thompson should not be scoring so efficiently and gaining confidence.

Agreed, out of Curry, Jack, and Thompson, if we can manage to limit two of the three we should be fine. Though Curry is the most deadly, he also has chucks the most and takes the worst shots. Thompson takes smart shots and makes an extremely high percentage of them, especially against us. Same goes for Jack. Game 3 is huge because if they beat us, they're confidence will be through the roof. We really need to start the game off well and prevent any kind of serious run

KenziE
05-09-2013, 03:14 AM
I just can't stomach seeing scrubs like Barnes and Green morph into Ray Allen. Guarantee that shit won't hold up tbh...

it always happens against the Spurs too -- Ibaka , Fisher etc.

See ya'll in game 3 im with timvp my confidence is shaken pretty good but i aint jumping off a cliff either

GoSpursGo

Arcadian
05-09-2013, 03:17 AM
I say we should play with a big lineup. That way we can rebound better, and score inside more on offense. We can't try to match their offensive style. They're better at the 3-point-shootout than us. But we're better at inside scoring. Take advantage of your strengths.

therealtruth
05-09-2013, 03:46 AM
Play big and stay on shooters.

therealtruth
05-09-2013, 03:47 AM
it always happens against the Spurs too -- Ibaka , Fisher etc.

See ya'll in game 3 im with timvp my confidence is shaken pretty good but i aint jumping off a cliff either

GoSpursGo

When it happens often enough you have to question the defense.

objective
05-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Spurs are done. Another year where Pop is outcoached by his own stubborness and mismanagement.

Going to Bonner to start and then Neal seals it, Pop's not winning this series.

The Warriors small line-up > the Spurs small line-up. The only hope would be doing what made the Spurs good this year, going big. But Pop won't do that, and at this point, the Warriors are so hot that it might not matter. The Spurs let their embers catch ablaze and it's probably going to last the rest of the series.

Neal playing absurd. An undersized selfish gunner who can't defend. Joseph playing is absurd. Joseph was an overrated defender all year long and only looked decent in meaningless regular season games and against his fellow d-leaguers for LA.

I hope the Spurs go out with dignity and at least give an honest attempt with Duncan/Splitter to start and not wait until they're down 3-1. And I hope Pop goes with not playing Neal or Joseph. If that means McGrady then so be it.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but that's my current view.

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Spurs are done. Another year where Pop is outcoached by his own stubborness and mismanagement.

Going to Bonner to start and then Neal seals it, Pop's not winning this series.

The Warriors small line-up > the Spurs small line-up. The only hope would be doing what made the Spurs good this year, going big. But Pop won't do that, and at this point, the Warriors are so hot that it might not matter. The Spurs let their embers catch ablaze and it's probably going to last the rest of the series.

Neal playing absurd. An undersized selfish gunner who can't defend. Joseph playing is absurd. Joseph was an overrated defender all year long and only looked decent in meaningless regular season games and against his fellow d-leaguers for LA.

I hope the Spurs go out with dignity and at least give an honest attempt with Duncan/Splitter to start and not wait until they're down 3-1. And I hope Pop goes with not playing Neal or Joseph. If that means McGrady then so be it.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but that's my current view.

Definitely overreacting, but who isn't on this board. McGrady won't play, everyone has to abandon that pipe dream. Even if he does, he isn't the answer in this series at all. Remember, we need good perimeter defense, which isn't exactly McGrady's specialty. We have a right to have concern, but that's it. If we steal one in their arena, it's a best of 3 and we have the advantage again. Let's wait until after game 4 to hit the panic button

quentin_compson
05-09-2013, 03:59 AM
Based on the first two games, it looks like the Warriors are going to win this series. They were the better team in both games. And it's not like they are just jacking up shots - they are playing pretty smart most of the time, moving the ball and moving off the ball and trying to create and exploit mismatches. They are also very solid defensively, both in transition and in halfcourt sets. Overall, they simply have been outrunning and out-executing the Spurs.

Sure, maybe Thompson goes cold for a game or two. Then again, someone else might step up, or Curry goes for 60 at home, hard to say as everything seems possible with the Warriors right now.

But it's a good thing that the Spurs at least made a run in the end. They just couldn't buy a bucket in the last couple of minutes, otherwise this would have been an open game once again.

For game 3, I like the idea of starting Duncan and Splitter and seeing how it pans out to go big.

siraulo23
05-09-2013, 04:00 AM

It will hold up till they finish off the spurs tbh... :lol then back to earth vs grizz/thunder or at least d green, barnes is good

objective
05-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Maybe overreacting, sure.

Good perimeter defense isn't Neal's specialty either. And I don't expect McGrady to play.

It's not a panic button. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, and that goes for Pop.

SenorSpur
05-09-2013, 04:07 AM
Good summary.

Pop's inexplicable personnel decisions have indeed been head-scratching, to say the least. He reminds me of Avery Johnson in the opening round of the 2007 NBA playoffs (Mavs versus Warriors). Instead of sticking to the lineup and tactics that had been successful during the regular season, Johnson panicked in Game 1 and elected to roll out a new lineup.

However, we simply can't just hope and pray the Warriors come back to earth or that the Spurs will somehow magically solve this riddle. It's really obvious that the Warriors are playing out of their minds. They've taken the confidence borne out of their first round upset of the Nuggets and have continued to surge. They are young, talented and rolling. They are clearly taking advantage of their own strengths (shooting prowess, quickness, youth, athleticism) while exposing on the Spurs weaknesses (age, lack of athleticism, injury-plagued personnel).

I'm hoping that the Spurs can and will play better too, but with the series now moving out to Oracle arena, I just don't see where this team is going to get additional contributions to help tilt the balance of the series in their favor. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

objective
05-09-2013, 04:07 AM
here's a random thought:

Why is Patty Mills active over De Colo? Mills can't guard anyone in this series, at least De Colo has length. It's not like Mills is going to come in and hero-ball his way into some points. This is the playoffs, not some season finale against a team purposely losing for draft position.

objective
05-09-2013, 04:09 AM
Pop's inexplicable personnel decisions have indeed been head-scratching, to say the least. He reminds me of Avery Johnson in the opening round of the 2007 NBA playoffs (Mavs versus Warriors). Instead of sticking to the lineup and tactics that had been successful during the regular season, Johnson panicked in Game 1 and elected to roll out a new lineup..

Exactly this.

Avery's choices in that series have been mocked by pundits and fans as some of the worst in history. And Pop is following his playbook.

GSH
05-09-2013, 04:12 AM
I've got a couple of friends who, after the first-game comeback, said they were coming over and forcing me to watch tonight's game. I'm still just as down on the league as I have been, but I'll toss out a few observations:

The Warriors clearly don't think they are going to get beaten by Tim Duncan shooting 19/20-footers from straight away, and I'm forced to agree. They're giving that shot away just about any time he wants it. He'll make some, but it's a relatively low-percentage shot without the payoff of a 3-pointer. If taking that shot was sucking a defender out, he could take it often enough to keep them honest, and pass other times. But they're staying down in the middle, and watching him shoot it. I'd just about rather see him taking 3-pointers. Actually, I'd like to see him taking some of those 12/14-footers off the glass. They might actually have to honor that shot, which would keep them a little more honest on defense.

Before tonight, Klay Thompson was 12-39 from the 3P line in the playoffs. The Spurs need to put some good, hard playoff fouls on both him and Curry, to take them out of their rhythm and give them something to think about. (Where's Robert Horry when you need him?) It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them commit a few more hard fouls on the floor, and a few less ticky-tack shooting fouls. And when they do commit a shooting foul, make damn sure the shot doesn't go up clean. As Charles Barkley has said on more than one occasion, "See if he can get up off the floor and make the next one." I hate to say it, but the Spurs looked soft. Tim, Tony, and Manu all three kept looking for whistles - sometimes it didn't look like even they expected the shots to fall. I've seen them do it before, and it's never a good sign. And Bonner was looking for a whistle on just about every freaking rebound. Yeah, Matty, you got pushed... push back harder. Because even if you get out of this round, Z-Bo is gonna kick your soft ass.

The Warriors played as good as they are capable of, and the Spurs still had to throw it away to lose. Unfortunately, the Spurs played like the inexperienced team tonight. Some of the biggest examples I can remember are:

1. At the end of the 3rd, the Spurs had closed a 19-point halftime lead down to just 8 points. Neal chucked a 3-pointer, trying to preserve a 2-for-1 opportunity. Manu got the long rebound with 27 seconds on the game clock, and a new shot clock. Manu has been around long enough to know that he should have pulled it back out and tried to get a shot right at the shot-clock buzzer. Maybe take a 6-point deficit into the 4th, but preserve the 8-point deficit as the worst case. (Assuming the Spurs could keep GS occupied for the last 3 seconds.) Instead, he threw a too-late, off-target pass to Green in the corner. Manu wanted a shot to go up, and Green didn't have much choice but to take it. That left GS enough time to make that 3-pointer at the other end as the buzzer sounded. It gave them an 11 point lead, and let them believe that they didn't have to collapse. Manu always plays high-variance ball, but that was just stupid. There's no excuse for piss-poor clock management from a team that is supposed to be so disciplined. IMO, that one play killed the Spurs' comeback and allowed GS to win the game.
2. For most of the game, Kawhi's offense looked like a rookie who had never been to the playoffs before. He was so tight, it's a wonder he didn't break something. Everybody misses shots, but he short-armed everything about as badly as I have ever seen. If there's an explanation other than nerves, I'd love to hear it.
3. For a critical stretch in the second half, Danny Green was giving Curry a world of shit on the defensive end. He tapped the ball out of his hands several times, got one steal, forced him to give the ball up, and generally kept him out of rhythm. Next thing you know, Pop's got Kawhi on Curry, and he's blowing into the paint for an easy score. I don't know what happened in the first game, but tonight he should have kept Green on him until he quit being effective. That's on Pop.
4. The Spurs got stops, steals, and turnovers in the 4th, and squandered virtually all of them. Mostly with crappy passing, and trying to force the issue around the basket instead of kicking out and re-setting the offense. The two that really come to mind were Parker getting his own offensive rebound, and then trying to force up a shot with 4 GS players around him, and Manu getting the ball after a Danny Green block, and trying to force a fast break that just wasn't there. Those plays reeked of desperation, not the confidence of seasoned vets who believe they are the better team.

I've always been a student of the mental aspects of the game, momentum and timing. Robert Horry knew better than anyone that there are certain points in a game, and in a series where you can put a dagger in your opponent with a big play or two. I know every made shot looks the same in the box score, but when it gets in the opponents' heads, it can count for a lot more. Right now, the Warriors are as loose as a team can be. They're playing with house money, and all the pressure is off. But it's hard for an upcoming athlete to really believe that he belongs at the top, the first time or two that he challenges. The Warriors believe they can beat the Spurs - especially now. But it's going to be a lot harder for them to see themselves actually closing them out of a 7-game series. That nothing-to-lose attitude will start to evaporate when they realize that they have everything to lose. And the basket that looks so big right now will start to shrink along with it. Believe it or not, the more they win, the harder it will get for them. As bad as the Spurs looked, the Warriors' recent collapses and near-collapses are in every one of their minds. The Spurs could still finish this thing in 5 games, if they've got the toughness to go after them. Personally (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I would put Mills on the inactive list, and let Baynes and T-Mac put a little wood on Bogut and Thompson. Get one of them to lose his cool, and the distraction would be irresistible for a lot of their young guys, IMO.

siraulo23
05-09-2013, 04:12 AM
matt bonner in the starting lineup was definitely a head scratcher. Pop starting neal in the 2nd half, i didnt mind too much because the spurs were down and pop was trying to figure out a lineup that would work

i guess both of those decisions were because of diaw? maybe he didnt feel well after game 1 and pop didnt want to play him too much this game? i dunno

siraulo23
05-09-2013, 04:20 AM
^ definitely agree that the spurs have to be more physical, everyone on this team are 'nice' and nobody commits hard fouls, too bad jax isnt here

blkroadrunners
05-09-2013, 04:35 AM
I've always been a student of the mental aspects of the game, momentum and timing. Robert Horry knew better than anyone that there are certain points in a game, and in a series where you can put a dagger in your opponent with a big play or two. I know every made shot looks the same in the box score, but when it gets in the opponents' heads, it can count for a lot more. Right now, the Warriors are as loose as a team can be. They're playing with house money, and all the pressure is off. But it's hard for an upcoming athlete to really believe that he belongs at the top, the first time or two that he challenges. The Warriors believe they can beat the Spurs - especially now. But it's going to be a lot harder for them to see themselves actually closing them out of a 7-game series. That nothing-to-lose attitude will start to evaporate when they realize that they have everything to lose. And the basket that looks so big right now will start to shrink along with it. Believe it or not, the more they win, the harder it will get for them. As bad as the Spurs looked, the Warriors' recent collapses and near-collapses are in every one of their minds. The Spurs could still finish this thing in 5 games, if they've got the toughness to go after them. Personally (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I would put Mills on the inactive list, and let Baynes and T-Mac put a little wood on Bogut and Thompson. Get one of them to lose his cool, and the distraction would be irresistible for a lot of their young guys, IMO.

Do you think Baynes and McGrady are those type of players though?

I never thought T-Mac was that kind of player who would get in others heads outside of scoring. If he did, most of it was through retaliation. As far as Baynes go, he frustrated the hell outta Howard in Gm4 against the Lakers, but it's a different case w/ Bogut. Most of the Dubs offense is going through their backcourt; Bogut's role has been mainly to defend the paint and grab the boards.

I agree w/ your overall assessment however.

100%duncan
05-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Good points. I have trust in our guys.

Chomag
05-09-2013, 06:23 AM
If Spurs want to get into a jump shooting match with this team they are doomed to fail there.

Budkin
05-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Still not worried. Teams that rely on jump shots to win don't win 4 of 7 against good D. Unless our guys are more injured than is being let on, we will win the series.

Chomag
05-09-2013, 06:28 AM

I completely agree with you here. If Spurs try to match against what the Warriors are the Warriors are so much better then the Spurs are at it. Play your game and dont let the other team dictate how you play is what I always believed in for a winning team.

kobyz
05-09-2013, 06:31 AM
this series is over!! i knew that even after game 1 win which was win that is all loss because how we played... Warriors dominate us, Mark Jackson has Pop's numbers, Tim and Tony playing very mediocre, Manu suck, even in game 1 when he has been called an hero it was his worst game of the season, we playing like garbage and it's not seem gonna change, look for us to get out of the playoffs very soon by the Warriors.

Strategic
05-09-2013, 06:37 AM
I really think the Spurs can control a lot of this by getting back to their offense. The "good to great" thinking was too often dissed by taking the first trey that came. Either fast break these guys to death or make them play solid D. Spurs will bounce back.

Chomag
05-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Pop is just getting flat out out coached and by Mark Jackson no less. He must have scouted out Pop's stubbornness and is going right at it.

This is the playoffs just play your best players and line up, fuck this mad scientist crap! Going small to try to match up with the Warrior's "GAME" is plain stupid. I's like putting a gazzelle in a cage of lions.

Was Pop just teasing us with the finally asked for line up of Splitter and Duncan playing together all season long? Spur's front court should kill this team!

Someone posted here earlier that this is turning into a repeat of the Mavs vr Warriors 07 and you know what? I think they might be right.

Another series on Pop's head...

John B
05-09-2013, 06:54 AM

Exactly what I'm saying all day. We had the best team assist but we were not sharing the last two games. I hope it was just Duncan and Splitter not 100%, but still this is the playoffs. Suck it up and play. And I would really like us to attack the rim and make this grueling match. Check, shove and hard pick Curry. This is the playoffs. Go Spurs Go!

Boomersgold
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Pop is just getting flat out out coached and by Mark Jackson no less. He must have scouted out Pop's stubbornness and is going right at it.

This is the playoffs just play your best players and line up, fuck this mad scientist crap! Going small to try to match up with the Warrior's "GAME" is plain stupid. I's like putting a gazzelle in a cage of lions.

Was Pop just teasing us with the finally asked for line up of Splitter and Duncan playing together all season long?

Someone posted here earlier that this is turning into a repeat of the Mavs vr Warriors 07 and you know what? I think they might be right.

Another series on Pop's head...

I don't think Pop's being outcoached at all. They're simply younger, faster and more athletic than us.

GrandeDavid
05-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Zero confidence in this team right now. Game 1 was awesome, but it was a fluke. I can see Golden State winning this in 5.

I completely and totally agree with you. I will honestly be surprised if the Spurs win another game in this series. The Warriors look hungrier, better prepared, more talented and so on.

Russ
05-09-2013, 07:12 AM
-- I'd love for Duncan and Splitter to start Game 3 so the Spurs can at least try to get back to what made them such a successful team during the regular season. Adjust if that doesn't work but don't change your stripes from the opening tip.

Agreed. :flag:

But if the Spurs go out with a whimper in this series, how much money did Tiago's ankle sprain cost him?

He's gone from hot up-and-coming young big man (about to get a big payday) to a guy who hasn't really contributed in any of his three postseasons. Of course, that isn't his fault -- injuries and lack of playing time are the culprits. Still, you have to wonder how much this could cost him.

I still believe in Splitter and I'd love to see him wreak some havoc on that GS interior Achilles heel.

weebo
05-09-2013, 07:13 AM
I would put KL on Klay and let Curry get his.

pgardn
05-09-2013, 07:15 AM

I would love to see Lee back in to add a slower player.

The change of pace and the quickness they get their jump shots off is amazing. Defensively they scramble around well but they do tire badly with the excessive minutes young guys are supposed to be able to take.

On an aside, Jackson actually called some appropriate time outs, something missing the first game. I think we have a huge advantage with Pop. Cojo's inability to bother either Curry or Thompson has really hurt us, Kwahi is the only guy that has been a disruption on their backcourt, D. Green has in spurts. Very thin on man power we can send at their quickness and accuracy.

i am in a quandary on if we need to slow this thing down. They are killing us with their half court offense as well as up tempo. Gonna has to trust Pop. Or hope they actually start missing a shot or two.

Incoming! ... Dialed in.

Chomag
05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
"If only Spurs made more shots and Warriors missed more shots."

Yep! I said it!

spurspokesman
05-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Our problem is over helping on scrubs and leaving the deadly shooters open. Live with a scrub beating you than hoping an assasin will miss.

Slippy
05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
If Spurs want to get into a jump shooting match with this team they are doomed to fail there.

Coundn't agree more.

TheChillFactor
05-09-2013, 07:53 AM
When they hit a bump, their wheels will fall off. Remember what happened to us vs. OKC last year.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-09-2013, 07:56 AM

We've had a series ever since the Warriors first took a double-digit lead in Game 1 in San Antonio, in my opinion

coachmac87
05-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Quick question.. Do you think the grizzlies are going to play small next rd if they play the warriors???? Then why should we?? Spurs need easy buckets on offense..warriors are too big and athletic for us to go small and be effective on offensive end

bklynspursfan
05-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Crazy as it sounds, what do you guys think of Parker coming off the bench and starting Manu? This way Parker isn't abused by either Barnes or Thompson on one end, and he doesn't have to start the game on Curry. He defends Jack much better than those other 3, and granted Jack still hit some shots, but Parker made him work hard for them. I doubt it happens, but I think those matchups are better.

Brazil
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I've got a couple of friends who, after the first-game comeback, said they were coming over and forcing me to watch tonight's game. I'm still just as down on the league as I have been, but I'll toss out a few observations:

The Warriors clearly don't think they are going to get beaten by Tim Duncan shooting 19/20-footers from straight away, and I'm forced to agree. They're giving that shot away just about any time he wants it. He'll make some, but it's a relatively low-percentage shot without the payoff of a 3-pointer. If taking that shot was sucking a defender out, he could take it often enough to keep them honest, and pass other times. But they're staying down in the middle, and watching him shoot it. I'd just about rather see him taking 3-pointers. Actually, I'd like to see him taking some of those 12/14-footers off the glass. They might actually have to honor that shot, which would keep them a little more honest on defense.

Before tonight, Klay Thompson was 12-39 from the 3P line in the playoffs. The Spurs need to put some good, hard playoff fouls on both him and Curry, to take them out of their rhythm and give them something to think about. (Where's Robert Horry when you need him?) It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them commit a few more hard fouls on the floor, and a few less ticky-tack shooting fouls. And when they do commit a shooting foul, make damn sure the shot doesn't go up clean. As Charles Barkley has said on more than one occasion, "See if he can get up off the floor and make the next one." I hate to say it, but the Spurs looked soft. Tim, Tony, and Manu all three kept looking for whistles - sometimes it didn't look like even they expected the shots to fall. I've seen them do it before, and it's never a good sign. And Bonner was looking for a whistle on just about every freaking rebound. Yeah, Matty, you got pushed... push back harder. Because even if you get out of this round, Z-Bo is gonna kick your soft ass.

The Warriors played as good as they are capable of, and the Spurs still had to throw it away to lose. Unfortunately, the Spurs played like the inexperienced team tonight. Some of the biggest examples I can remember are:

1. At the end of the 3rd, the Spurs had closed a 19-point halftime lead down to just 8 points. Neal chucked a 3-pointer, trying to preserve a 2-for-1 opportunity. Manu got the long rebound with 27 seconds on the game clock, and a new shot clock. Manu has been around long enough to know that he should have pulled it back out and tried to get a shot right at the shot-clock buzzer. Maybe take a 6-point deficit into the 4th, but preserve the 8-point deficit as the worst case. (Assuming the Spurs could keep GS occupied for the last 3 seconds.) Instead, he threw a too-late, off-target pass to Green in the corner. Manu wanted a shot to go up, and Green didn't have much choice but to take it. That left GS enough time to make that 3-pointer at the other end as the buzzer sounded. It gave them an 11 point lead, and let them believe that they didn't have to collapse. Manu always plays high-variance ball, but that was just stupid. There's no excuse for piss-poor clock management from a team that is supposed to be so disciplined. IMO, that one play killed the Spurs' comeback and allowed GS to win the game.
2. For most of the game, Kawhi's offense looked like a rookie who had never been to the playoffs before. He was so tight, it's a wonder he didn't break something. Everybody misses shots, but he short-armed everything about as badly as I have ever seen. If there's an explanation other than nerves, I'd love to hear it.
3. For a critical stretch in the second half, Danny Green was giving Curry a world of shit on the defensive end. He tapped the ball out of his hands several times, got one steal, forced him to give the ball up, and generally kept him out of rhythm. Next thing you know, Pop's got Kawhi on Curry, and he's blowing into the paint for an easy score. I don't know what happened in the first game, but tonight he should have kept Green on him until he quit being effective. That's on Pop.
4. The Spurs got stops, steals, and turnovers in the 4th, and squandered virtually all of them. Mostly with crappy passing, and trying to force the issue around the basket instead of kicking out and re-setting the offense. The two that really come to mind were Parker getting his own offensive rebound, and then trying to force up a shot with 4 GS players around him, and Manu getting the ball after a Danny Green block, and trying to force a fast break that just wasn't there. Those plays reeked of desperation, not the confidence of seasoned vets who believe they are the better team.

good post

the most frustrating part is that this game was much more winnable than game 1 but execution in the fourth has been horrible, manu after a good 3 made 2/3 bad decisions in a row that killed our hopes and in O we stopped to move the ball. fwiw I also thought Duncan's presence was hurting the team in the fourth.

TP and the Spurs need to find a solution, GS run their offense through him and he is spending a lot of energy trying to keep up with his opponents without a lot of success or trying to contest jumpers of taller guys, as a result his energy on O is down. He usually run all over the place starting by doing the wipers on the base line but against them he doesn't have the boost to do it. He definitely needs to step up.

Regarding physicality I agree 200%, in the third they played aggressive and D and made a lot of damage, we need more of that. They need to harass Curry and Spurs need to put an end to the layup party, if they want some layup they will have to think they will end falling hard on the floor.

I also agree with the ones saying don't try to outplay them on their strengths we are going to loose, they have better small line ups and they are better at pushing the ball. I'd prefer loose this round by going big and slowing down the pace at least we give us a chance than trying to run faster than them.

SouthernFried
05-09-2013, 08:37 AM
I remember "small ball" against Dallas. That didn't work either. Why play into the other teams strengths? No better small ball team out there than GS. Slow 'em down...don't make the same mistake we did against Dallas.

That being said, this is the problem. Their Superstars are young and energetic. Our Superstars are older and slower. When our Superstars were young and energetic, we did to other teams...what GS is doing to us.

kaji157
05-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Crazy as it sounds, what do you guys think of Parker coming off the bench and starting Manu? This way Parker isn't abused by either Barnes or Thompson on one end, and he doesn't have to start the game on Curry. He defends Jack much better than those other 3, and granted Jack still hit some shots, but Parker made him work hard for them. I doubt it happens, but I think those matchups are better.
I was suggesting the same thing on another thread.
So you can pair up Green on Jack with the second unit and let Parker Score his during those stretches.
The problem is that GS plays their starters about 40 mins a game which will make the move almost pointless.

bklynspursfan
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I was suggesting the same thing on another thread.
So you can pair up Green on Jack with the second unit and let Parker Score his during those stretches.
The problem is that GS plays their starters about 40 mins a game which will make the move almost pointless.

That's the same problem I thought about, but even if we're able to do it start the game and 2nd half to maybe prevent some of those easy looks they were getting, it might help keep the fans from going nuts, and keep us in the game, rather than dig ourselves in a huge hole.

urunobili
05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks timvp.

I lost my confidence on the team but not hope

polandprzem
05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I remember back in a days when the spurs got demolished by the Suns !

All in all Spurs are in deep shit. And they need to realize this is for real. Warriors are way better team then they expected. Much more difficult matchup then the Lakers. Got damn level up your intensity or go fishing.

Shit.

At the end spurs gave up totally. No guts whatsoever

Homeland Security
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
This is the fourth season in a row that opposing teams have been torching the Spurs from the perimeter, and Spurs fans have been calling it a fluke. No, it's not a fluke. It's that the Spurs are a shitty perimeter defensive team in the playoffs. Klay Thompson was in his own zip code on most of those first-half shots. Any decent shooter who doesn't choke is going to get in a rhythm and hit those shots.

Defending Golden State is not that complicated; they aren't really built for the postseason. Basically just don't give them a whole bunch of wide-open looks from 3 and you'll keep them under control. But if they get enough of a stretch of open shots to get into rhythm, then they'll start hitting the contested ones too. Memphis certainly will be able to slow down GS, and OKC probably has enough defensive chops to get it done too. That the Spurs can't get it done has nothing to do with Curry and Thompson playing the most superest awesomest any backcourt has ever played in the histories of times like timvp claims. The common factor in all these "fluky" great shooting performances is that they come against the Spurs. The most likely inference is that the Spurs' perenially inept perimeter defense in the playoffs is the cause of the torrid shooting.

Furthermore, the Spurs' "system" is predicated on the idea that the Spurs will out-execute their opponents. In Game 1, GS was the superior team for 44 minutes but then threw it away down the stretch once Thompson fouled out. They are a young team and that happens. But SA did not have the wherewithal to go for the throat in Game 2, so GS is getting the opportunity to learn how to close out games. Down the stretch in Game 2, you saw the Spurs pressing and making bad decisions. I believe this is because mentally the Spurs know they are playing a superior team that they aren't going to beat unless they get lucky. The "system" breaks down in the playoffs because any competent coach (i.e. not a complete fucking idiot like Mike D'Antoni) over the course of a series is going to be able to make adjustments to attack the weak points in the "system."

You need superior talent to win a championship. The feeling you get seeing what seems like an endless wave after wave of young talent coming in the game for Golden State isn't going away. But it's not because that talent is so overwhelming; in the next series GS won't look like world-beaters anymore, because they really aren't. It's that the Spurs just aren't that talented. The "system" delivers regular-season wins, especially early in the year while other teams are feeling themselves out and SA can capitalize on the advantage conferred by its "corporate knowledge." But eventually many, many other teams catch up with, and ultimately pass, the Spurs. The Warriors are one of them. Among teams that lost in the first round, Houston and Denver also would have beaten the Spurs. The Clippers probably wouldn't have, because Vinny Del Negro is a complete fucking idiot who wouldn't have been able to make the right adjustments.

rmt
05-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Lots of optimism on this board. The way I see it - GS has thoroughly outplayed Spurs except for the 4th quarter of game 1. Spurs are not going to win with 2 of their best players (Splitter and Diaw) together playing only 17 minutes total in a game. I hate that Pop tries to match down with them. Spurs are not going to beat them at their own game. It's madness. Hoping that Curry and Thompson won't continue to shoot like this is wishful thinking. The role players will play better in front of their own crowd. Lay the wood on them - foul hard - put them in the bonus early and hack-a-Bogut. This will get him off the court and allow Parker to penetrate. Then the offense will operate as it usually does. This iso ball won't work. Spurs were #1 in assists all season - now they have less assists than GS.

DarrinS
05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
That dude from Prometheus is a pretty damn good shooter.

benstanfield
05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry but we can't just hope for them to start missing shots. GSW are a team that's gonna find a way to get to 100-105 points regardless of what the defense does. If we can't score in triple digits on this team then we're just gonna flat out lose.

mrjap2x
05-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Any thoughts on how we can get more Kawhi post ups?
We can't just let fronting stop that. Especially when curry is the one guarding him.

spursncowboys
05-09-2013, 10:09 AM
-Relied on shooting threes too often

-Couldn't make a shot.

Don't know how they can correct having their shots go in.

Plus side:
-Their defense was as good as can be, dealing with the 12 year old. The offensive rebounds were ridiculous. You couldn't ask for as many second chances as they got.

spursncowboys
05-09-2013, 10:11 AM
IMO the warriors in game one were playing hero ball. Iso. If they had won game one, they probably wouldn't have changed up their game plan until maybe two losses. So had the spurs lost game one, it would probably have been an easier road to atleast two wins.

DarrinS
05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
This is the fourth season in a row that opposing teams have been torching the Spurs from the perimeter, and Spurs fans have been calling it a fluke. No, it's not a fluke. It's that the Spurs are a shitty perimeter defensive team in the playoffs. Klay Thompson was in his own zip code on most of those first-half shots. Any decent shooter who doesn't choke is going to get in a rhythm and hit those shots.

Defending Golden State is not that complicated; they aren't really built for the postseason. Basically just don't give them a whole bunch of wide-open looks from 3 and you'll keep them under control. But if they get enough of a stretch of open shots to get into rhythm, then they'll start hitting the contested ones too. Memphis certainly will be able to slow down GS, and OKC probably has enough defensive chops to get it done too. That the Spurs can't get it done has nothing to do with Curry and Thompson playing the most superest awesomest any backcourt has ever played in the histories of times like timvp claims. The common factor in all these "fluky" great shooting performances is that they come against the Spurs. The most likely inference is that the Spurs' perenially inept perimeter defense in the playoffs is the cause of the torrid shooting.

Perhaps. But sometimes they are just making contested shots. Curry's running 3 off one leg comes to mind.

Lol @ Gary Neal screening himself @ 0:53

wfcR-ztkFC0

Chomag
05-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Perhaps. But sometimes they are just making contested shots. Curry's running 3 off one leg comes to mind.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but do you really want to use "Curry's" shooting as an argument of fluk shooting?

DarrinS
05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but do you really want to use "Curry's" shooting as an argument of fluk shooting?

I don't think I ever used the word "fluke".

I'm just saying, if you can hit a running 3 off one leg, with a defender in your face, then your offense is just better than the defense.

Chomag
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Ahh, yeah I was misunderstanding you then. Think I got you mixed up with some other posts. I agree though, Curry is a beast of a player and is going to be a super star in this league. Often times with these type of players there is not much you can do other then try to deny them the ball and even so they are going to get theirs. Best you can do is make them work for it.

Bad news is Curry is red hot at the moment, and that's a deadly combination to play against with a shooter like him.

elbamba
05-09-2013, 10:26 AM
This series looks more like the Suns series when they swept the Spurs as oppossed to the Grizzley series a couple of years ago. My biggest frustration with this game was Bonner starting and playing 16 minutes and Neal playing 20 minutes and starting the second half. I would actually rather see De Colo get a chance to play as he has deceptive speed and size on defense.

I would start the game with Duncan and Splitter or Duncan and Diaw and force the issue inside out. The ball needs to be moving up and down and side to side. The Spurs play into their hands with quick shots and one-on-one basketball. Their length bothers the Spurs but the truth is their team defense is not that good. Make them work on defense and see if that does not slow the game down a bit.

The Spurs need to commit to their defense. I would go with Green on Curry and Leonard on Thompson. Tony needs to back up on Barnes and let him shoot. I don't understant why Tony crowds him 20 feet from the basket. He would be better trying to take a charge. Barnes wants to shoot, let him take 15 jumpshots. Every shoot he shoots is a victory from the Spurs defense.

Finally, the pick and roll needs to have the picker rolling to the basket. No more jumpshots. Duncan and Splitter need to challen Bogut and any other Big they throw in the game. It is time to force double teams and if the Warriors will not double, Tim and Splitter need to go for 40 - 50 combined points in the paint. This will also slow the game down and allow the Spurs to get their defense set.

spursncowboys
05-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I don't think I ever used the word "fluke".

I'm just saying, if you can hit a running 3 off one leg, with a defender in your face, then your offense is just better than the defense.
Kind of like when we played Phoenix in the PO and just accepted Stoudamire making 50 a game

rasho8
05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
I put the blame squarely on pop never actually developing a backup pg. He has had years to figure it out and his idea has been "Make shitty Gary Neal do it" which is stupid. He needs to pick a fucking backup and PG and elt that person actually fucking play and learn. That way when Tony needs a breather in the playoffs we dont have some shit lineup where evryone just fucks around and Gary Neal tries isoheroball and fails over and over.

emanueldavidginobili
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
NO HELP DEFENSE when you're covering KT or SC, its ridiculous how many times we had to run out on them because they were so open these guys are shooters! They give them just a little room and their launching it.

szkorhetz
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Is it just me, or Manu's lift on jumpers is non-existent?

bklynspursfan
05-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Maybe bringing TP off the bench isn't the best thing...

And I know we've had some instability with our starting lineup this series, but I think it's time for 1 more big change...

I think it's time to start Manu. This will do either 1 of 2 things:

1. it'll force Curry to have to guard Parker instead of Klay
2. it'll put Curry on Manu or Leonard both of whom should be able to do to him what Barnes/Klay do to Parker

Curry is getting away with guarding Green a lot of the times, and Green is mostly a spot up shooter. We have to make him work more on the defensive end. Let Green come in to guard Jack and give Manu his rest then

Parker, Manu, Leonard, Duncan, Splitter

Our guys should be prepared and able to play heavy minutes.

biskvito
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
GSW stepped up their game, it's what playoff teams do.

noles1983
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
2 things i noticed when i was at the game.

1. We leave them too many wide open 3's because the defense has to stop the layup drills.

2. The spurs have tough shots every trip in the paint, GS is all over them, 3 pointers need to be made when open!!!

Spur|n|Austin
05-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Good thoughts, thanks LJ. The main one I took away was this:

-I was frustrated during the game but -- thinking about it -- the Spurs kinda need this. We saw what happened last year when they breezed through the first two rounds. The Spurs have always had some sort of adversity in their successful playoff runs (Game 2 loss vs. T'Wolves in 1999, Phoenix Game 1 in 2003, Nuggets and Sonics in 2005, Game 1 vs. Nuggets in 2007). Honestly, if the Spurs can't win a game in Golden State, they weren't going to beat Memphis/OKC and definitely not the Heat.

Keep the faith people, nobody ever said this was going to be easy. Well some people did, but they are idiots. Look at the rest of the league, every series is 1-1 INCLUDING Miami and OKC. RELAX!

polandprzem
05-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I do not understand playing neal vs that fast of a team. I'd better go with Mills.

Pop needs to do a better job figuring this shit out and players needs to toughen up. Playoffs madafuckazzz !!!!!!!!!!!!11

michaelwcho
05-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Just wanted to point out that people were saying that OK was a bit of a fluke because Ibaka was hitting a crazy % of jump shots. Maybe it has something to do with the defense.

it's me
05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
you guys should be fucking kidding......... start brickobili???? KT was simply rapping him... he can't even run nowdays, Pop should play him 15 min max.

Blake
05-09-2013, 12:05 PM
This feels like Spurs/Hornets in 2009(?)

The Spurs had no real answer for Paul/West/Chandler dunks, but just kept grinding and grinding and won the series.

If the Warriors had won both if these games, I'd think the Warriors win in 5 or 6.

I think the Spurs split in Oakland and win in 6 or 7.

There is just no way.....no way the Warriors can keep up this level of shooting. No way.

raybies
05-09-2013, 12:45 PM

And I know we've had some instability with our starting lineup this series, but I think it's time for 1 more big change...

2. it'll put Curry on Manu or Leonard both of whom should be able to do to him what Barnes/Klay do to Parker
Curry is getting away with guarding Green a lot of the times, and Green is mostly a spot up shooter. We have to make him work more on the defensive end. Let Green come in to guard Jack and give Manu his rest then

This...

Golden States playing like a clubber lang while the spurs are playing like a pre eye of the Tiger ro

raybies
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Curry is getting away with guarding
Green a lot of the times, and Green is mostly a spot up shooter. We have to make him work more on the defensive end. Let Green come in to guard Jack and give Manu his rest then

This...

Golden States playing like a clubber lang while the spurs are playing like a pre eye of the Tiger rocky.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Agree with starting Tiago. If this forces a mismatch for the Warriors to try and take advantage of with Barnes isolating, then that's a good thing and would get the ball away from their deadly backcourt. Of course, this assumes Tiago is up for it...in a menacing road game. Tiago seems soft but we have to give it a shot. I think the Spurs still have fight, though it's not looking good right now.

Blake
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm all for starting Manu, Tony, Danny, KL and Tim.

Xevious
05-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Without reading this entire thread, I say Tiago has to start again asap. That fluke run at the end of game one might have hurt the Spurs more than help them (both Tim and Tiago out of the game). Now Pop thinks small ball is the answer. Spurs can't match GS's backcourt, so they need to play to their strengths and go back to what they had success with earlier in the season.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I commend you for writing this. I agree on pretty much everything. They need to play tough. Some Warrior's players are just too comfortable. The Spurs looked soft.

wildbill2u
05-09-2013, 06:30 PM
The pick and roll is our primary offensive weapon--and GS has simply taken it away from us. I don't recall seeing many successful P&Rs in Game 2 but maybe there were a few, a very few. Timmy said at practice the Spurs would have to set better picks. That isn't happening.

When we find the lane blocked, our offense stalls because we aren't making 3s. Sometimes it looks like our guys are afraid of taking the shot and that may be why Neal was put in to the game.

Finally, we simply can't defense their perimeter shooters. They are too quick with the shot on the spot ups and can get their shots off the dribble whenever they want. I don't know if they can keep up their high percentage, but perhaps they can beat the averages. After all, we're supposed to be one of the best teams on 3s and we aren't shooting our averages out there so far.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 07:05 PM

The Warriors scored 52 points in the paint and out rebounded the Spurs by 10, which is a much bigger deal than a couple of 30 foot jumpers. Everything goes back to having guards suddenly trying to learn how to play against forwards and a lack of size. The offense and defense are completely out of rhythm because people are playing out of position.

I was pretty sure we established a few years ago that if you want to run a smaller lineup, you need guys that are above average defenders and above average rebounders. With the exception of Leonard, the Spurs don't have that to throw into those lineups.

I'd be interested in someone explaining how you run a small lineup and get any benefit from Bonner. He doesn't do anything better than Splitter other than shoot from the outside. If you wouldn't play Bonner at small forward because he's too slow, why would you think he could play in a "small" lineup and have any kind of success?

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
The pick and roll is our primary offensive weapon--and Pop has simply taken it away from us. .
Fixed. The best bigs at rolling to the basket are Splitter, Diaw and Blair.

milkyway21
05-10-2013, 06:20 AM
love for Duncan and Splitter to start Game 3 I think this is better idea...so Bonner started in game 2? I didn't watch the entire game.

well, Splitter seems to play better with GS, he scored 19pts against them this season, if I remember correctly, and the Spurs won that game. :wakeup

polandprzem
05-10-2013, 06:32 AM
This...

Golden States playing like a clubber lang while the spurs are playing like a pre eye of the Tiger rocky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPdtdlzf7Q

:lol

Young Pop with mustache and tan!

Brunodf
05-11-2013, 01:31 AM
On offense, bigs set screens/move without the ball.
Guards just stand in the corner, our Offense is isoball
I
Told you my friend SpurSwag

SpurSwag
05-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Told you my friend SpurSwag (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=32938)

:toast

Like I said, I wasn't sure if going big would solve the problem or simply add to it. Thankfully, it really cut off driving lanes and created some problems. Rebounding is curiously still an issue though...Oh well, lets hope for similar results Sunday :flag:

therealtruth
05-11-2013, 02:29 AM
:toast

Like I said, I wasn't sure if going big would solve the problem or simply add to it. Thankfully, it really cut off driving lanes and created some problems. Rebounding is curiously still an issue though...Oh well, lets hope for similar results Sunday :flag:

It's how we played all season and lead to our 3rd ranked defense.