PDA

View Full Version : Pack the paint...

ElNono
05-09-2013, 12:56 AM
beat the Spurs?

I mean, Golden State was a slightly above average defensive team this season (ranked #13 IIRC).

Seems like every postseason since 07, that's been our kryptonite. Our offense gets discombobulated and we're reduced into 3 point chucking and hoping for a good shooting night.

Is this the byproduct of not having a extremely dominant Tim Duncan anymore? What can be done to break the spell, besides keep on chucking?

TheGoldStandard
05-09-2013, 12:58 AM
movement.. everyone stands around or hangs out at the 3 point line waiting for the outlet pass. We went small to combat this, parker got into the lane and made shots and also dished the ball but we missed most of them. When we dump the ball to Tim at the top of the key he just stands there and hesitates to either take the jumper or drive into a contested shot. Everyone needs to be moving, coming off screens and creating space for our success.

crc21209
05-09-2013, 01:00 AM
movement.. everyone stands around or hangs out at the 3 point line waiting for the outlet pass. We went small to combat this, parker got into the lane and made shots and also dished the ball but we missed most of them. When we dump the ball to Tim at the top of the key he just stands there and hesitates to either take the jumper or drive into a contested shot. Everyone needs to be moving, coming off screens and creating space for our success.

This. For much of the first half, everyone was standing around either watching TP dribble the ball or Td hold it in the post. There was no movement whatsoever. The 2nd half was a little better, but nowhere near the capability of how the Spurs can move bodies and the ball..

RD2191
05-09-2013, 01:02 AM
The warriors are driving at will, its unbelievable how many open lanes they're getting to the rim. Layup after layup. There was a stat that showed Curry was almost the complete opposite of Parker and got most of his points by hitting outside shots. Its the complete opposite in this series.

freetiago
05-09-2013, 01:04 AM
troops following the "leader" tbh
packing the paint is what the Spurs want when they surround the team with 40+% 3 point shooters
Parker either starts ignoring his team trying to force his way inside and tunnel visions
also starts chucking and ignoring teammates
then its compounded by the fact that the Spurs roleplayers are all chokers who miss shots when they do finally get them

baseline bum
05-09-2013, 01:07 AM
beat the Spurs?

I mean, Golden State was a slightly above average defensive team this season (ranked #13 IIRC).

Seems like every postseason since 07, that's been our kryptonite. Our offense gets discombobulated and we're reduced into 3 point chucking and hoping for a good shooting night.

Is this the byproduct of not having a extremely dominant Tim Duncan anymore? What can be done to break the spell, besides keep on chucking?

Nah, I think it's the shit defense they have had ever since Bowen got old and Duncan's mobility dropped from elite PF level to C level. The Spurs offense always had that happen in title years but it didn't matter as much when you could just stick Bowen on the other team's top perimeter guy.

diego
05-09-2013, 01:08 AM
be more aggressive forcing the issue.
Leonard and green have to cut hard, manu and tony have to drive hard, tiago and diaw have to get PnR opportunities...

If we try to win the next two games by outshooting them from the perimeter, we'll lose. we need to be the more physical team on both ends of the court.

for christ's sake, they're relying on 3 rookies and a guy with major injury history for their bigman rotation! attack!!! only parker and green went over 3 fouls today, that means the rest were being way too passive on both ends (and on our home court, to boot)

ElNono
05-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Nah, I think it's the shit defense they have had ever since Bowen got old and Duncan's mobility dropped from elite PF level to C level. The Spurs offense always had that happen in title years but it didn't matter as much when you could just stick Bowen on the other team's top perimeter guy.

I don't know about that. I remember Phil Jackson pulling this shit in 2004, and it worked for them. Obviously, with TD, TP and Manu being younger and still having Bruce to check players, it wasn't as insurmountable as it looks now. Since then, that's been basically the blueprint to kill our offense.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 01:17 AM
So teams just figured out how to defeat the pick and rolls the Spurs ran so effectively during the regular season, and that's why they never run it anymore?

mingus
05-09-2013, 01:21 AM
I think Duncan not being elite offensively anymore and shifting the burden of the offense to Parker, who can more easily be contained is pretty big. Hard to say which is more significant. That or not having Bowen. Last year with Bowen we win vs OKC. Were up in this series with him too.

superjames1992
05-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Honestly, I haven't seen the Spurs run much iso-ball all year long and we've seen a lot this series. It's sickening because neither Tony or Manu is really excellent at isoing their defender. They are more effective on the pick-and-roll (or pop).

Brunodf
05-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Honestly, I haven't seen the Spurs run much iso-ball all year long and we've seen a lot this series. It's sickening because neither Tony or Manu is really excellent at isoing their defender. They are more effective on the pick-and-roll (or pop).
Bonner isn't good in the PnR/Tony won't pass to him when he is wide open, so our offense looks like shit

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2013, 02:07 AM
the game one comeback was due to making the threes that the Warriors gave them, that's what they are going to have to do to win this series.

FkLA
05-09-2013, 02:37 AM
It doesnt help that Parkers shot is inconsistent as hell. Parker needs to keep attacking though, he just disappears for too long of periods when the driving lanes close up ...even if he cant finish at the basket make them collapse and kick it out to the shooters. Ill take those open looks over isoing Timmy excessively or seeing guys like Green/Neal trying to drive.

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 02:44 AM

Spurs ISO, did you not watch our late games in the last month of the season in the last 5 mins or so? They RAN ISO TOO MUCH! I hated it every time! They ran it though over and over. That was their problem the last month and now it continues!

HI-FI
05-09-2013, 02:46 AM
this game was classic playoff Parker. getting frustrated, tunnel vision etc...per par. I'm not blaming the loss on him, it just sucks we are still having this discussion right now.

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 02:54 AM
this game was classic playoff Parker. getting frustrated, tunnel vision etc...per par. I'm not blaming the loss on him, it just sucks we are still having this discussion right now.

You know what else sucks, the fact we still discuss BONNER OR BLAIR in 2013! I would say that is just a blower!

SpurSwag
05-09-2013, 02:56 AM
Idk why Bonner gets so much hate, he works well in certain situations. If we get by GSW, he'll be big in the next round. He's always guarded Z-Bo well and will be able to pull them out of the paint. Hopefully his good shooting extends that far. Blair on the other hand is awful, but Pop has recognized that. This definitely isn't Bonner's series though

FkLA
05-09-2013, 03:02 AM
It amazes me that people still try to pin the blame on the Red Mamba. He plays 15 mpg (16 today), in that limited role hes fine. Especially since hes actually been hitting shots this postseason. But regardless hes not the reason the Spurs win/lose this series.

HI-FI
05-09-2013, 03:02 AM
You know what else sucks, the fact we still discuss BONNER OR BLAIR in 2013! I would say that is just a blower!
lol

i know that's your schtick, to hate on those two, especially Bonner. but Bonner isn't meant to be more than a role player. Parker is suppose to be the leader, and tbh, he's overrated in that regard. I worry more about our number one option continually getting shat on in the playoffs. Parker is a very good PG, but it's like his tunnel vision always takes over at the worst times. We really need better ball movement and defense from Parker.

HI-FI
05-09-2013, 03:04 AM
It amazes me that people still try to pin the blame on the Red Mamba. He plays 15 mpg (16 today), in that limited role hes fine. Especially since hes actually been hitting shots this postseason. But regardless hes not the reason the Spurs win/lose this series.
mah nigga.

but you know how ST is with its groupthink.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2013, 04:30 PM
but Bonner isn't meant to be more than a role player.

You need to look up "starter".