PDA

View Full Version : Trouble brewing in the W. Campaign - Barnes on 60 Minutes

Nbadan
09-01-2004, 04:59 PM
This, on appearence, seems more troubling to me than Kerry hiring new legal guns to help in his campaign....

Where is CNN?

The campaign battle over Vietnam War records is still raging, but President Bush may soon be the one answering uncomfortable questions about his past service. Ben Barnes, the former lieutenant governor of Texas, will finally break his silence and talk to the press about what role he played in helping Bush get a coveted slot in the Texas Air National Guard in 1968. Sources say Barnes has already sat down for a "60 Minutes" interview that will air a week from Sunday. A "60 Minutes" spokesperson declined to comment, saying the program does not discuss reports that are in progress.

Barnes made headlines last week when his videotaped comments that he was "very ashamed" of getting Bush into the National Guard began circulating on the Web. He said the remorse was prompted by a recent visit to the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, where he saw the names of thousands of other young men who did not enjoy the connections of the Bush family. Barnes made his comments in May and the video was posted on a pro-Kerry Web site in June, but word of it only began to spread widely last Friday.

Over the weekend, the national press, which for weeks has been amplifying factually challenged allegations against John Kerry by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, gave Barnes' stunning remarks only cursory coverage. The Washington Post, for instance, ran a brief wire story on Saturday, the same day it printed yet another exhaustive piece about allegations surrounding Kerry's war past. In a subsequent WashingtonPost.com online chat, the Post reporter covering the Swift boat story suggested Barnes' comments didn't qualify as "fresh information," and consequently he wasn't interested in "simply regurgitating old controversies." The New York Times ran a brief item on Barnes' statements deep inside its Saturday news section, next to yet another lengthy profile of Kerry's longtime Swift boat nemesis, John O'Neill.

Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/09/01/barnes60minutes/index.html)

Tommy Duncan
09-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Oh wait a minute, I thought that the Kerry campaign and the Democratic Party was not in the business of questioning the service record of candidates. Or at least that was this month, not back in April when the DNC was calling Bush AWOL.

T Park Num 9
09-01-2004, 05:09 PM
of course not Tommy,

they are MUCH more sophisticated and peacefull tha the republicans.

I mean hell, look at those peacefull protestersin New york.

Nbadan
09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Ben Barnes should watch his back...aka James Hatfield, author of Fortunate Son.

Tommy Duncan
09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Damn, Dan is wacko.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Rangel just said last night that the past shouldn't matter.

Would you Democrats make up your mind? You're flip-flopping more than Kerry.

T Park Num 9
09-01-2004, 05:17 PM
If thats possible.

I love how the left wingers love to bring out on Kerry,

"He served, that should be left alone, BUT BUSH!!!!!!!"

Can you sayyyy hypocrit??

Yonivore
09-01-2004, 05:34 PM
"Damn, Dan is wacko."
Don't tell me this is news to you.

Nbadan
09-01-2004, 05:38 PM
This wacko will be buying a round of drinks at the establishment of your choice when W. is sent packing back to Crawford in November.

Tommy Duncan
09-01-2004, 05:40 PM
And if he isn't?

IcemanCometh
09-01-2004, 05:41 PM
http://protest.bmgbiz.net/Dissent.jpg

Nbadan
09-01-2004, 05:43 PM
I stand behind my track record of predictions. Or should l remind you about the whole Kobe thing...or the WMD in Iraq thing...or the no links between Al-Queda-Saddam thing..and so on and so on... Exactly how many times do I have to be right?

Tommy Duncan
09-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Wow, you're the Oracle of Your Ass.

Nbadan
09-01-2004, 05:52 PM
What is your facination with my ass? Are you 'funny' that way?

Ruby Ridge
09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Dang you whiny conservatives. Didn't lots of you say the Swift Boat Vets for Rent had their right to their opinion. Let ole Ben Barnes have his say.

Ruby Ridge
09-01-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm sure there is no connection between the Kerry campaign and Ben Barnes coming forward......you know like there is no connection between the Swifties and the Bush campaign.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Wow, tell us more Dan.

The connection has been made many times. If nothing else, Saddam sent funding to the Palestinians, who have met numerous times with OBL and members of his org.

Tommy Duncan
09-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Didn't lots of you say the Swift Boat Vets for Rent had their right to their opinion. Let ole Ben Barnes have his say.

Sure, because the DNC and Kerry himself harped on the 'Bush was AWOL' stuff already this year (and in 2000 as well) as well as the fact that it was Kerry himself who made his service in Vietnam his solution for dealing with Islamic terrorism. Kerry's plan (as well as his national security strategy) for terrorism looks more and more like Clinton's brilliant strategy from 1993-2001, well except with Kerry having spent 4 months in Vietnam.

Nbadan
09-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Clinton's brilliant strategy from 1993-2001

Clinton's strategy in the Middle east was a continuation of Reagan's policies in the middle east. Or didn't he lobe a few bombs at Lybia (like Clinton) and kill one of Ghadafi's sons?

Tommy Duncan
09-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Clinton had a Islamic terrorist attack on American soil to respond to in 1993 (on the WTC no less) and what was the response? Let's arrest those responsible. Sure, some were arrested and prosecuted. Another "success" for the Clinton administration. That's how you deal with the threat of terrorism.

Then they came back and knocked the buildings down.

Opinionater
09-01-2004, 06:57 PM
IMO, there will be another attack on US soil.

In any war...you are bound to lose some battles. :cry

exstatic
09-01-2004, 07:50 PM
If nothing else, Saddam sent funding to the Palestinians, who have met numerous times with OBL and members of his org.

I sent my sister a B-Day card with cash, and she meets regularly with the local GOP. I do not support or condone the GOP.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Dan how the **** do you compare Clinton and Reagan and how they dealt with the Middle East?

When Reagan was president, our chief threat was the Soviet Union, which Reagan pretty much spent militarily into bankrupt and collapse.

Summing it up, he won the Cold War.

Al Qaeda declared war on us with the first WTC bombings in '93, with Clinton on watch, and what'd he do? Fire off a few cruise missiles, attack a few people, let OBL get away a few times.

There's no comparison.

Ruby Ridge
09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Terrorism has a long history but how it relates to the modern day war on terror I think it harkens back to November 7, 1979 when "students" stormed the U. S. embassy in Tehran and took hostages and the situation lasted until the day of Reagan's inaguaration. President Carter's response had largely been ineffectual.

Islamic extremists made their first strike against the "great satan"

On October 23, 1983, President Reagan had the first strike against Americans by middle eastern terrorists under his watch when the Marine barracks in Beirut was bombed. Reagan withdrew from Beirut

On December 21, 1988 Pan Am 103 was blown from the sky over Scotland by Libyan terrorists. The U. S. response was to launch a bombing raid on a Quaddafi encampment. Interestingly, the French refused to grant American planes the right to fly through French airspace.

February 26, 1993 the terrorists made their first direct stike on American soil when the World Trade Center was bombed. An Islamic cleric is charged and arrested for organizing the bombing.

In August 7, 1998 America gets it's first public exposure to Osama Bin Laden when the American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania are bombed simultaneously. Later bombing raids are conducted on sites in Sudan and Afghanistan.

October 12, 2000 the USS Cole is hit. In hind sight post 9/11, critics decry the lack of a response by the Clinton administration conveniently leaving out the fact that Bush became president the following January and for nine months did not respond as well.

Of course, September 11, 2001 then happened and America was forced to respond.

My point is all presidents in the last quarter of a century had what can now be described as inadequate responses to these terrorists attacks. There were both Democrats and Republicans. It took the sheer enormity of 9/11 for American's to realize we were under attack.

Taking shots at one particular president or party for how they responded to pre-9/11 terrorists acts is nothing more than hypocritical Monday morning quarterbacking.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-02-2004, 12:58 AM
You need to go back farther than the embassy incident, fundamentalist terrorism can be traced to Khomeini taking control of Iran in February of '79.

Actually if you dig deep enough in history you can trace it back to WWII. Germany did a great misinformation job in the Mideast that started the hate that has built ever since.

T Park Num 9
09-02-2004, 01:19 AM
sent my sister a B-Day card with cash, and she meets regularly with the local GOP. I do not support or condone the GOP.

Only difference Ex,

your not sending money to a terrorist regime that supports murdering terrorists.

Spurminator
09-02-2004, 01:24 AM
I sent my sister a B-Day card with cash, and she meets regularly with the local GOP. I do not support or condone the GOP.

That's excellent logic.

Now, if only you'd apply it equally to certain Presidential Candidates, homebuilders, and 527's.

Nbadan
09-02-2004, 06:11 PM
It's coming and people are finally listening

Barnes (http://69.59.167.160/Barnes%20on%20Vietnam.mov)

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Well lookie here, it's a Democrat dirty trick. When will John Kerry renounce this?

JohnnyMarzetti
09-02-2004, 07:10 PM
As soon as Dubya renounces Cheney's stupid remarks last night.

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Dumb.

Try again.

JohnnyMarzetti
09-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 07:24 PM
You resemble that remark rather well.

T Park Num 9
09-02-2004, 08:17 PM