PDA

View Full Version : This series will come down to mental fortitude and passion

TDfan2007
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
The old cliche of "who wants it more?" applies to this series, as the Warriors have clearly shown to be the aggressors from the opening tip of both games.

The Spurs have simply been reacting while the Warriors are imposing their pace/will on us. The Spurs need to play with more passion and desperation. Screens need to be harder, closeouts need to be quicker, and guys need to be tougher on the boards.

As for mental fortitude, it's quite clear that our role players (yes, Manu is a role player) shit the bed last night. They blew countless open looks, and their body language during GS's 2nd quarter run was disappointing. In addition, the rotations on defense have been slow, and the help defense decision making has been mind-numbingly bad. You don't leave Klay Thompson to help on Andrew Bogut 15 feet away from the basket. Ever. Usually Matt, Manu, and Gary are the ones making those types of stupid roaming plays, but now Kawhi and Danny (our only 2 good perimeter defenders) have joined the party.

You can't give NBA shooters, especially historically good NBA shooters, wide open space time after time and then throw your hands up in exasperation when they barely miss.

Bottom line: our guys need to play smarter and harder, which is a pretty embarrassing problem to have to correct for a Pop-coached team, but it is what it is.

My question to you guys is this: given that the Spurs were the worst 3-point defending team in the league to end the season, do you see this trend/mentality changing in Oakland? If it doesn't, then the Spurs might as well pack their bags and grab their fishing rods, tbh...

sananspursfan21
05-09-2013, 09:38 AM
It usually seems like when the spurs lose a series, it's cuz they didn't play hungry, injuries aside. The only real series I felt they went down fighting in was last years thunder series

Chomag
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I agree with you. Warriors have shown that they are a young hungry team with some very good players kind of like the Spurs where when beginning their championship runs. Warriors is a team primed to be a playoff upsetter team like they were a few seasons ago. they are red hot and peaking right now and Spurs are going to need to bring their A game here for the rest of this series or else they just might be fishing.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
It's so weird to feel so devastated in a series where it is just 1-1.

This is the best chance the Spurs have had at getting to the Finals since 2007. If SA can just get a split I think they will win the series.

If not, Warriors close it out in 5.

Chomag
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM

This is the best chance the Spurs have had at getting to the Finals since 2007. If SA can just get a split I think they will win the series.

If not, Warriors close it out in 5.

I think its because it feels more like it's 0-2 right now because it came pretty close to being that way, if not for an awesome clutch shot by Manu.

look_at_g_shred
05-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I think its because it feels more like it's 0-2 right now because it came pretty close to being that way, if not for an awesome clutch shot by Manu.

Your right. Had we blown them out in Game 1 we wouldn't feel like were down 0-2 right now.

boutons_deux
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

because "morally", the series is 0-2, having lost HCA, and with it looking like going to 0-4 by Sunday night.

The Spurs got beat bad in both games, but just extremely luckily scored a couple lucky points more in game 1.

Spur Bank
05-09-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm super hungry, Pop should put me in.

Call me crazy, but I think it'll come down to who shoots better.

I'm mostly just picking on the thread title... the content of the OP was good.

maverick1948
05-09-2013, 12:08 PM
game 1 46 of 105
game 2 35 of 89

That is 81 for 194 for the 2 games. Season average would have been 93 or 94.

Game 1 13 of 26
Game 2 5 of 21

That is 18 of 48. Exasctly our average for the season.

Looking at the stats for SA, we are giving away 25 points in the two games on poor shooting.

Maybe we should shot a little better. Maybe we should share the ball a little better. Hell's bell's maybe we should shake off the rust and play like pro basketball players.

dbreiden83080
05-09-2013, 12:15 PM
because "morally", the series is 0-2, having lost HCA, and with it looking like going to 0-4 by Sunday night.

The Spurs got beat bad in both games, but just extremely luckily scored a couple lucky points more in game 1.

Yes but that is why series are 7 games. Lets not kid ourselves here, this Warrior team is very good but they are not great. They won 47 games this year and have an all star player hurt and getting no minutes. They are not the Thunder of last year with an insanely great big 3 we needed to defend. Curry is talented and annoying but he could not carry Kevin Durant's Jock. Thompson is playing way above his ceiling right now. They are red hot from the field partially due to some bad D the Spurs have played and some tough matchups. I have not seen anything yet that leads me to believe we can't win the series. The Spurs are deeper, more experienced team. The D in the 2nd half last night was encouraging, small ball may work in this series. I'd like to see Tim in the post more and shooting less jumpers. Kahwi is capable of more offensively, Manu has yet to really break out. This series is a long way from being over. A long way...