PDA

View Full Version : You guys are missing the point

RD2191
05-09-2013, 01:38 PM
We cant score because Parker is getting shut down a la WCF against the Thunder. So unless TP9 grows 4-5 inches by tmrw, we are pretty much screwed.

Beaverfuzz
05-09-2013, 01:41 PM
wrong.

Horry Hipcheck
05-09-2013, 01:42 PM
:wakeup

Budkin
05-09-2013, 01:47 PM
No, our defense on shooters has been awful.

spurraider21
05-09-2013, 01:48 PM
i think even hater would disagree with that. parker is doing OK. not great, but ok. our main problem has been the fact that we've been ice cold from the field. they've been playing solid defense, but still, we've been missing a lot of open looks that we had been making all year long. I know some will say "its our defense thats terrible right now" and while thats true, it should be noted that when you miss 3 pointers (or longer shots in general) they lead to longer rebounds and thus run-outs/transition, almost like turning it over in the post. instead, if these shots go in, it forces them to stop, inbound the ball, etc, giving us time to get set up in our half court D. our 3 point shooting has been horrendous outside of Green (even he was only 2-6 in game 2) and that is leading to their offense. parker's assist numbers would have easily hit double figures had our guys hit wide open shots.

missing 8 free throws also hurts in a 9 point loss.

davidbowie
05-09-2013, 01:49 PM
naah i think it has more to do with our intestinal fortitude and honor, dignity and respect for the game

RD2191
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
i think even hater would disagree with that. parker is doing OK. not great, but ok. our main problem has been the fact that we've been ice cold from the field. they've been playing solid defense, but still, we've been missing a lot of open looks that we had been making all year long. I know some will say "its our defense thats terrible right now" and while thats true, it should be noted that when you miss 3 pointers (or longer shots in general) they lead to longer rebounds and thus run-outs/transition, almost like turning it over in the post. instead, if these shots go in, it forces them to stop, inbound the ball, etc, giving us time to get set up in our half court D. our 3 point shooting has been horrendous outside of Green (even he was only 2-6 in game 2) and that is leading to their offense. parker's assist numbers would have easily hit double figures had our guys hit wide open shots.

here is the problem tho, this team or system has relied on 3 point shooting to win them games. and whats wrong with that? whats wrong is that we don't have a consistent 3 point shooter a la ray allen, curry, and whomever else is a great 3 point shooter. we have a streaky danny green and a chucking gary neal. that's why i said all year long that we couldn't or shouldn't rely on danny green fluke 3s to win us games.

Poolboy5623
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
one team(gs), cant miss...while the spurs cant make a basket. HOWEVER, Im starting to think its taking a toll on the Spurs older players, having to chase around the young legs of GS..its a young mans game. The Spurs cant keep up. Would be much better off with having mem or okc and letting the other beat up on GS. Oh well, if they cant stop lil steph and klay, how in the hell would they fair in Mia?

Poolboy5623
05-09-2013, 01:59 PM
here is the problem tho, this team or system has relied on 3 point shooting to win them games. and whats wrong with that? whats wrong is that we don't have a consistent 3 point shooter a la ray allen, curry, and whomever else is a great 3 point shooter. we have a streaky danny green and a chucking gary neal. that's why i said all year long that we couldn't or shouldn't rely on danny green fluke 3s to win us games.

that formula wins regular season games...but not playoff games. The warriors will cool off, next round, or if lucky enough, in the finals...while the Spurs are left to wonder, yet again, what if?

RD2191
05-09-2013, 02:00 PM
that formula wins regular season games...but not playoff games. The warriors will cool off, next round, or if lucky enough, in the finals...while the Spurs are left to wonder, yet again, what if?

yes, but either way it works much better for them because they have consistent shooters unlike the spurs

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 02:01 PM
No, our defense on shooters has been awful.
Yep, and even when it's there they still seem to hit :( They just won't miss open or not open.

spurraider21
05-09-2013, 02:04 PM
well its not like we are the knicks and rockets jacking up 3's every other possession, but our 3 point shooters are there to keep defenses honest and allow tony/tim/tiago to really go to work in the paint. when the D collapses on parker/duncan it makes it tough for them to score in the paint, so at that point, the shooters need to step up and deliver when the defense gambles off of them. after they make a couple of wide open threes and the defense needs to stay home, thats when parker starts getting into the lane and scoring, or dishing it off to Tim/Tiago down low. it also opens up the elbow jumper for Timmy, which is way more preferable than when he pulls up from the top of the circle

i mean, its the same story for pretty much every team in the NBA except for exceptions here and there. why do you think the miami heat have always been loading up on shooters with the big 3? James Jones, Mike Miller, Chalmers, Battier, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, etc etc. Why do you think the Thunder pushed Thabo into really working on his 3 point shot (and he's now been over 40% for 2 seasons). Harden was drafted because of his shooting ability (he blossomed into a great playmaker) and when they traded him out of necessity (lulz) they did it for Kevin Martin. Why did they go after Fisher? Why did the 08 celtics load up on shooters with guys like Posey, Eddie House?

3 point shooting is a big factor for every team to help your stars out

Horry Hipcheck
05-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Accurate. Spurs' shooters haven't given GS much of a reason to guard the perimeter. Green and Ginobili should be lighting them up from outside to open the lane for Parker drives and TD post play. Duncan hangs out at the top of the key, Dubs flood the paint, and the shooters brick. It's not hard to out score that.

Dre_7
05-09-2013, 02:17 PM

This is exactly how I feel. Missed FTs and FGs were the biggest issue last night in my opinion. The missed threes happen, thats just basketball, but those missed FTs and Layups really hurt the Spurs. They played real well halfcourt Defense in the second half, they just didnt make enough baskets to finish another comeback.

RD2191
05-09-2013, 02:19 PM
This is exactly how I feel. Missed FTs and FGs were the biggest issue last night in my opinion. The missed threes happen, thats just basketball, but those missed FTs and Layups really hurt the Spurs. They played real well halfcourt Defense in the second half, they just didnt make enough baskets to finish another comeback.

are you guys mentally ill? thats who this team is. what consistent shooter do we have? who can score on layups consistently besides tony? come on man.

robot89
05-09-2013, 02:21 PM
T-mac.. backup point?

Budkin
05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Yep, and even when it's there they still seem to hit :( They just won't miss open or not open.

Can that really continue the entire series? If they can keep hitting at that clip then you just have to tip your hat. It's insane.

boutons_deux
05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Can that really continue the entire series? If they can keep hitting at that clip then you just have to tip your hat. It's insane.

GSW shot only a non-fantastic 45%. It's Spurs who shot a losing 39%

Dre_7
05-09-2013, 02:46 PM
are you guys mentally ill? thats who this team is. what consistent shooter do we have? who can score on layups consistently besides tony? come on man.

Actually, in the regular season and playoffs up until now the Spurs shot about 80% from the line and close to 50% from the field. Last night they shoot 66% from the line and 39% from the field, and yet were still in it until late in the 4th.

Sean Cagney
05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
GSW shot only a non-fantastic 45%. It's Spurs who shot a losing 39%
Their % tapers off after ungodly three quarters it seems and comes down to earth. That is after they already kicked our asses all over the floor and have a good lead. I agree on the Spurs shooting though, atrocious, horrible.

Poolboy5623
05-09-2013, 03:36 PM
The Spurs shooting woes stem from:
1) chasing around the GS guards all game long, tireing them out on O
2) Having to play from behind, in both games..lacking confidence vs being ahead and having a lead
3) their just not as good as most of us fans thought

..at this pt I dont see them turning the page and lighting it up the next few games. what would give anyone that indication?? Hell, even outside of curry and klay, their role players are outplaying the Spurs'...its more than just, "the spurs missed shots". They will not make it out of Oracle alive..maybe if the big 3 were about 10 years younger. Their too old and the Spurs young guns arent that good.

Poolboy5623
05-09-2013, 03:39 PM
and you can also bet that the Spurs won't be getting the calls, like they had in games 1 and 2, in GS-

benstanfield
05-09-2013, 04:00 PM
The Dubs have thus far held us to 41% from the field, which would be good for 1st in the league over the regular season. It's a team wide thing, just not getting quality looks trying to play small ball with them.

kaji157
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
You execute your defense a bit better and the series is over in 6 at most.

Stabula
05-09-2013, 04:06 PM
People have really been downplaying how poor TP has looked physically. He's obviously not 100%. His main asset has always been his speed and his speed isn't there. He can't drive and score or drive and dish like he used to which is a huge huge deal because without TP playing like the MVP candidate from a few months ago the Spurs aren't going anywhere.

Man In Black
05-09-2013, 05:10 PM
It's because people are forcing the action instead of simplifying what they should already know:

All Spurs players that are not the Big 3(Especially Gary Neal, need to play like Harrison Barnes.

http://nba.si.com/2013/05/09/playoff-surprises-so-far/

Harrison Barnes, Golden State Warriors

I find myself continually impressed by the postseason decision-making of Harrison Barnes, who has picked his spots beautifully to apply pressure on opposing defenses at just the right times. It would seem easy for Barnes — who has connected on 37.2 percent of his three-point tries — to fire up threes in many of his semi-open opportunities, looking to shoot over the top of a hard-closing defender. But Barnes has done a fantastic job of driving to attack the closeout and throwing the opposing defense into a jumbled mess. He’s limiting his attempts to only those situations in which he has a clear advantage, whether it be truly wide open threes, open lanes to the basket, or in the post against undersized defenders.

As a result, Barnes’ effective field goal percentage (a measure which accounts for the added value of a three-pointer) has jumped from 48.1 percent to 54.1 percent — a healthy bump largely resultant of a shift in shot selection. Barnes has filtered most of the showy mid-range pull-up jumpers out of his game, and instead looked to move the ball when an open look isn’t immediately available. Barnes wasn’t a particularly selfish player in the regular season, but through the playoffs he’s been a perfect cog in a well-oiled machine, scoring and making plays without the kind of hesitation that allows a well-trained defense to recover.

milkyway21
05-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Check Duncan's left foot :( If GS keep doing this TD will miss the rest of the series/playoffs with injury :wakeup

http://64.19.142.10/www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/imagecache/image_gallery_default/130509_012.JPG_hyuncompressed

Arcadian
05-09-2013, 07:58 PM
:lol Quitter. We lose one playoff game by 9 points, and you say it's over.

:lol

dbreiden83080
05-09-2013, 08:07 PM

If Pop gets his act together and starts showing them different looks on D No. The 2nd half was encouraging but if in the first quarter of game 1 the Spurs are double teaming the scrubs and not closing out hard on the 3's, we are screwed.

Man In Black
05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
This game can't be played like H-O-R-S-E because they can outshoot the Spurs. It has to be played in the trenches. Spurs have to return to the BIG lineup and control pace and tempo. Work to get the best shot and move the ball side to side to get GSW's D chasing. It's strange but I though them losing David Lee would be so key to the Spurs advancing. He provided balance to their game by giving them a legit post presence. What makes this confounding is, if he was fully healthy and playing, those inside touches would lessen GSW's reliance on the 3 point line. They would take less 3 point shots. So, if GSW feels the game can be won outside in, then the team needs to be disciplined and chase those 2 shooters off the line and live with whatever shots Barnes and Green makes. Those guys combined won't be as effective as Curry & Thompson. Pop has to give up something and I think a slow it down, grind it out with Bigs game with 2nd break opps would give us Spurs fans a chance to see the Spurs team we expect.

Malik Hairston
05-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Yep