PDA

View Full Version : Who likes milk?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Just thought I'd ask. Since I've noticed about a hundred threads so far asking random questions I just thought I'd throw that one out there.

I've evolved into a skim drinker over the years, but I'll go through a couple of gallons a week.

The Mrs. is a soy fan herself, while the Little Chopper indulges in vitamins A&D whole milk on a daily basis.

My understanding is that it does a body good.

Samr
07-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Horizon Organic Milk. I swear it tastes a bit different.

SpursFanDan
07-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Whole baby.. And I never broke a bone. Could it be true?... does milk do the body good?

smeagol
07-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Who doesn't?

Duff McCartney
07-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Who doesn't?

Alot of people, the even have websites dedicated to why milk is bad.

Stupid asses. Strawberry and chocolate are great. I like putting evaporated milk in my cereal...it tastes better.

Speaking of which the Promised Land Dairy milk is excellent. Especially the strawberry and vanilla one. I never tried the chocolate one, but a teacher in high school used to say it tasted like melted chocolate ice cream because of how thick it was.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 09:11 PM
milk must be good because i sure do like sucking on those titties.

:drunk

(someone had to say it, why not violentkitten?)

Samr
07-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, when I was growing up on the farm, I used to milk the cat.......

atlfan25
07-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Promised Land Diary milk is by far the best to me, chocolate preferably

Summers
07-10-2005, 09:30 PM

Only kind I buy. It does taste better and...

(takes deep breath and launches into nerdy lecture about our food supply)

... there is a small epidemic taking place of children (mostly girls) developing physically too quickly (growing breasts at 9) and world-wide sperm counts are dropping like flies. One theory is that it's due to all the hormones in our food supply. We inject our livestock and those hormones are passed into their meat and milk and we're ingesting this stuff. Don't get me wrong: I'm a meat-eater. But I buy organic everything as often as I can. I grew up on a farm with chickens, so the organic chickens that aren't overly plump and juicy actually taste better to me. If anyone's intrigued (and I know... you're not :lol ) you can find small farmers at farmers' market who grow veggies and livestock organically (and eggs, etc).

(steps off soap box)

Flea
07-10-2005, 09:33 PM

I don't usually drink milk but my girls swear that Horizon is much better. I HATE spending over $5/gallon for it.

Summers
07-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Speaking of which the Promised Land Dairy milk is excellent. Especially the strawberry and vanilla one. I never tried the chocolate one, but a teacher in high school used to say it tasted like melted chocolate ice cream because of how thick it was.

Oh, God, yes, the chocolate is like dessert. Don't read the ingredients; it's like half sugar. The dude I used to nanny for used to buy that and he called it the Jewish Cow chocolate milk. (shrug) :lol (Being from a farm town and somewhat familiar with cows, I was always like, "No, I think it's a Hereford...") :lol

Flea
07-10-2005, 09:34 PM

... there is a small epidemic taking place of children (mostly girls) developing physically too quickly (growing breasts at 9) and world-wide sperm counts are dropping like flies. One theory is that it's due to all the hormones in our food supply. We inject our livestock and those hormones are passed into their meat and milk and we're ingesting this stuff. Don't get me wrong: I'm a meat-eater. But I buy organic everything as often as I can. I grew up on a farm with chickens, so the organic chickens that aren't overly plump and juicy actually taste better to me. If anyone's intrigued (and I know... you're not :lol ) you can find small farmers at farmers' market who grow veggies and livestock organically (and eggs, etc).

(steps off soap box)

I buy but Horizon (most of the time) for my girls because of this.

Flea
07-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Alot of people, the even have websites dedicated to why milk is bad.

Stupid asses. Strawberry and chocolate are great. I like putting evaporated milk in my cereal...it tastes better.

The chocolate was to die for!!! Their egg nog was outstanding too......couldn't get it this past year though. Didn't they close down?

Duff McCartney
07-10-2005, 09:40 PM
The chocolate was to die for!!! Their egg nog was outstanding too......couldn't get it this past year though. Didn't they close down?

I dunno. I never had the chocolate milk, but the strawberry and vanilla were great. Personally I'm not an eggnog person. I think it's disgusting.

Samr
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
One time I replaced the nutmeg with Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning. Needless to say, that ruined some serious eggnog at the party.

But I had a good laugh. And that's all that matters.

smeagol
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Eggnog . . . Holy Shit! Never tasted something so disgusting. How did you gringos come up with that shit?

Summers
07-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I love egg nog. I have a recipe for home-made egg nog I make once in a while at Christmas. It's grossly thick and rich, but it got me the greatest compliment I've ever received a few years ago. We threw a little party for our fellow broke-ass students, including our upstairs neighbor from England. In the middle of the party, he got himself more nog (I should mention it had plenty of rum) and shouted at me from across the apartment, "Your egg nog is GORGEOUS!" It would have made Martha Stewart blush. :)

Samr
07-10-2005, 09:45 PM
How did you gringos come up with that shit?

Sounds like someone had the munchies and drunkenly tossed eggs and milk into a blender. But I love it, so I'm not complaining.

Summers
Eggnog . . . Holy Shit! Never tasted something so disgusting. How did you gringos come up with that shit?

It's basically undercooked flan. :lol

Useruser666
Promiseland Dairy is sold at HEB. One bottle of the regular stuff has like 960 calories. It's AWSOME!!! :lol

smeagol
07-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Flan! Now there a tasty dessert made with eggs and milk.

Samr
07-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Flan has a taste?

smeagol
07-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Flan has a taste?
Have you ever tried Argentine flan? with cream and dulce de leche?

Yuuummmyyyy.

Summers
07-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Flan has a taste?

It tastes kind of like overcooked egg nog. :lol

Summers
07-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Have you ever tried Argentine flan? with cream and dulce de leche?

Yuuummmyyyy.

No, but I've had the tres leches cake at Chuy's. *drool*

Samr
07-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Flan tastes like when you bite into the white part of an uncooked egg and it seeps between the prongs on the fork.

It looks, and feels, like it needs some serious deep-frier shock treatment.

Fonzie
07-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Heeeey, only whole milk with my veggies.

smeagol
07-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Flan tastes like when you bite into the white part of an uncooked egg and it seeps between the prongs on the fork.

It looks, and feels, like it needs some serious deep-frier shock treatment.
Not sure what flan they've been feeding you.

Back where I come from, they make a mean old flan that would knock your shoes off.

And dulce de leche is the SHIT.

Shelly
07-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Milk is supposed to help burn fat. Especially in the belly.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Mrs. Chopper buys Jr. the Horizon whole milk. . .it is delicious.

She purchases the Silk Soy for herself.

For the old man she waits until the store brand of skim is ready to expire and the dairy manager comes through and writes 99 cents on the cartons with a magic marker. She says skim milk is better if it's aged a little bit.

Nothing but the best for DaDa, let me tell you!

PizzaFace
07-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Milk makes me break out, then again so does water.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 10:30 PM
The main argument around why milk is bad is because it's cows milk. Why are humans advocating the use of cow's milk...and it follows of course, why are humans advocating the use of cow's milk for an entire lifetime?

We did not evolve drinking cows milk and furthermore we didn't evolve drinking milk past the age of 1 or 2....and we were all fine until modern society stepped in and told us all to drink cows milk and to drink it for an entire life time.

Beyond this it goes into all the steroids and growth hormone they put into cows to keep them constantly lactating. There are traces of this stuff in the milk.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 10:31 PM

(steps off soap box)

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

ok richard

its like...how do you really know its organic?
because usda certifies it

oh ok that is good enough for me

E20
07-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Whole Milk for me. I don't do that pussy ass Skim or Fat Free Milk.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Whole Milk for me. I don't do that pussy ass Skim or Fat Free Milk.

I was young once too.

Guru of Nothing
07-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I use fat-free milk for recipes, and Silk Soy Vanilla for my cereal.

As for drinking milk from a glass - NEVER. It disgusts me.

Duff McCartney
07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
I was young once too.

i don't see what the difference is...milk is milk...well except for skim milk. That shit is gross.

I don't think it's pussy, but it is disgusting. Skim milk just tastes like water, because all the fat content is gone.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2005, 10:43 PM
i don't see what the difference is...milk is milk...well except for skim milk. That shit is gross.

I don't think it's pussy, but it is disgusting. Skim milk just tastes like water, because all the fat content is gone.

You do have to get used to it. I eat a low-fat high protein diet, hence the skim milk.

Summers
07-10-2005, 10:47 PM
The main argument around why milk is bad is because it's cows milk. Why are humans advocating the use of cow's milk...and it follows of course, why are humans advocating the use of cow's milk for an entire lifetime?

We did not evolve drinking cows milk and furthermore we didn't evolve drinking milk past the age of 1 or 2....and we were all fine until modern society stepped in and told us all to drink cows milk and to drink it for an entire life time.

Beyond this it goes into all the steroids and growth hormone they put into cows to keep them constantly lactating. There are traces of this stuff in the milk.

I don't think this is true. First, a mammal will lactate for as long as something is sucking on her tits. That goes for humans, too. There are parts of the world where it's common practice to nurse a child until he is upwards of 5 years old. Most women only do it in this country for the first year because after that, with the healthy food supply we have, a toddler doesn't require the supplemental nutrition of breast milk. As long as you milk a cow twice a day, she will keep lactating. You do not have to inject her with hormones to make her produce milk. It's a quite naturally-occuring process. Secondly, people have been drinking cow's milk since... well, forever. :lol Why do you think they were one of the first domesticated animals? Milk is an excellent source of nutrition (fat, protein, carbs) and has been relied upon for thousands of years to help people get by on meager resources.

Also, why did you call me Richard? Are you calling me a dick? That's not polite.

Samr
07-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Most boring. Arguement. Ever.

Shelly
07-10-2005, 10:53 PM
I always by skim, but can drink 1% or 2%. It does have have some form of chocolate in it though.

Summers
07-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Most boring. Arguement. Ever.

Nobody's forcing you to read it. Come on, I included the word "tits"... doesn't that make it mildly interesting?

Shelly
07-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Nobody's forcing you to read it. Come on, I included the word "tits"... doesn't that make it mildly interesting?

:lol

Guru of Nothing
07-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Is there a difference between fat-free milk and skim milk?

E20
07-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Skim milk is a bit thicker because it has the fat. I used to drink milk like crazy to get a growth boost instead I got wider so I'm cutting down on milk or I just drink 2% fat milk.

atlfan25
07-10-2005, 11:17 PM
I always by skim, but can drink 1% or 2%. It does have have some form of chocolate in it though.
I am similar with milk, i only drink it with chocolate flavoring.
and promised land has definately ruined any other chocolate milk for me

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think this is true. First, a mammal will lactate for as long as something is sucking on her tits. That goes for humans, too. There are parts of the world where it's common practice to nurse a child until he is upwards of 5 years old. Most women only do it in this country for the first year because after that, with the healthy food supply we have, a toddler doesn't require the supplemental nutrition of breast milk. As long as you milk a cow twice a day, she will keep lactating. You do not have to inject her with hormones to make her produce milk. It's a quite naturally-occuring process. Secondly, people have been drinking cow's milk since... well, forever. :lol Why do you think they were one of the first domesticated animals? Milk is an excellent source of nutrition (fat, protein, carbs) and has been relied upon for thousands of years to help people get by on meager resources.

Also, why did you call me Richard? Are you calling me a dick? That's not polite.

no i have a friend richard who is obsessed with organics.

And drinking milk until 5 is still not the same as drinking it until 50.

and its a given fact they give cows stuff to keep them lactating, plus they give them further hormones for other reasons, and vaccines and what not, all this stuff gets into the milk

are you saying human beings were drinking cows milk 10000 years ago...i would have to disagree

i do like milk i was just saying the reasons people dont like it, and as much as you can try most of those reasons cannot be refuted..

Shelly
07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Skim milk is a bit thicker because it has the fat. I used to drink milk like crazy to get a growth boost instead I got wider so I'm cutting down on milk or I just drink 2% fat milk.

I have both Skim Milk and Fat Free Milk in my fridge and they both have 0 fat. Perhaps you're thinking of 1%?

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Perhaps you're thinking of 1%?

:wtf That has less fat than 2%.

I was drinking Silk Soy Milk for a while but I found out it's bad for my thyroid, so I quit. I drink no fat or 1% now.

Don't ever try Mootopia, it's gross.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 11:25 PM
yes mootopia does taste horrible, i didnt know that about the silk soy milk....but it tastes sooo....vaniilla-ie...

KewlKat00
07-10-2005, 11:29 PM
i actually just like skim milk. 1% is okay too. anything above that is too much.

even weirder - i never have liked chocolate milk. i remember in elementary school all of my friends would make fun of me because my last name was white and i never chose the chocolate milk. get it, haha...

Summers
07-10-2005, 11:30 PM
no i have a friend richard who is obsessed with organics.

And drinking milk until 5 is still not the same as drinking it until 50.

and its a given fact they give cows stuff to keep them lactating, plus they give them further hormones for other reasons, and vaccines and what not, all this stuff gets into the milk

are you saying human beings were drinking cows milk 10000 years ago...i would have to disagree

i do like milk i was just saying the reasons people dont like it, and as much as you can try most of those reasons cannot be refuted..

http://www.worldalmanacforkids.com/explore/animals/cattle.html

"European cattle probably are descended from the wild cattle, B. primigenius, of Europe and were first domesticated in southeastern Europe about 8500 years ago. The ZEBU, or Brahman, cattle, B. indicus, were domesticated in southern Asia about the same time or a little later. Early records indicate that cattle were used for draft, milk, sacrifice, and, in some instances, for meat and sport."

And, yes, dairy cows are given loads of hormones and vaccines to make them produce more and keep them healthy. That was my original point. But there is an alternative. There is milk "produced without the use of antibiotics, added growth hormones or dangerous pesticides" (as quoted off the half-gallon I just pulled out of my fridge), thus making it USDA certified organic. You can check it out here: www.horizonorganic.com. But as I already said, it's not necessary to inject a cow with anything; any mammal will lactate as long as you milk her.

I'm not some milk advocate; I was just trying to let people know you have a choice, Sam! (See how that doesn't make sense?)

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm not some milk advocate; I was just trying to let people know you have a choice, Sam! (See how that doesn't make sense?)
:lol :lol hahaa, i didnt call u richard to make sense i said it to make me laugh

LOL sam

besides it says europe, i dont remember a human evolutionairy theory called "out of europe"

SpursWoman
07-10-2005, 11:33 PM

User loves the chocolate, damn that stuff is good.

But I stick to either 1% or skim..... :depressed

E20
07-10-2005, 11:38 PM
In the end you can just take supplements and it'd be like your getting the benefits of milk.

Summers
07-10-2005, 11:40 PM
In the end you can just take supplements and it'd be like your getting the benefits of milk.

But what would you drink with cookies?? Huh?? :lol

E20
07-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah, with cakes, cookies and other pastries Milk is da bomb. Just thinking about it turns me on. A hot day, you go over and pour a nice tall of ice cold milk just so a little slides down out of the glass and drizzles down the side of your glass and you reach over for a nice fat piece of chocolate cake that makes your mouth dry and thats when you just gulp that sucker down.

Mrs.Roper
07-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Lactaid.

Summers
07-10-2005, 11:46 PM
I think you're in the wrong thread! :lol

Duff McCartney
07-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Skim milk is a bit thicker because it has the fat.

Uh skim milk has like .1 % fat in it.

mavsfan1000
07-11-2005, 01:48 AM
I like 1% the best but can't stand home milk. I can tolerate skim milk though.

Flea
07-11-2005, 08:23 AM
I love egg nog. I have a recipe for home-made egg nog I make once in a while at Christmas. It's grossly thick and rich, but it got me the greatest compliment I've ever received a few years ago. We threw a little party for our fellow broke-ass students, including our upstairs neighbor from England. In the middle of the party, he got himself more nog (I should mention it had plenty of rum) and shouted at me from across the apartment, "Your egg nog is GORGEOUS!" It would have made Martha Stewart blush. :)

I have an excellent homemade egg nog recipe too. Nothing like the fresh stuff on a cold night sitting by the fireplace. I hate to even think of the calories........so I don't. :lol

smeagol
07-11-2005, 10:55 AM
What the fuck is Soy Milk?

There is no such thing. It should be called soy juice.

- Lewis Black

ObiwanGinobili
07-11-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm not cool on milk. I don't drink it.
Cow's milk is made by mama cows for little baby cows. Cows have 4 tummys and can handle the mass amounts of glue-like casein in their milk. ( BTW- you can actually make household glue from milk)
When I do drink animal milk, I drink milk from single stomached hooved animals....like goats.
Otherwise I drink soy. Preferably chocolate Silk. damn it's good.
But mostly I drink water. It's liquid life.

SWC Bonfire
07-11-2005, 11:26 AM
This just in: Honey is made for bees and should only be eaten by bees.

Also in: The Land of Milk & Honey is seeing declining tourism numbers.

Milk= Good for you in moderation
Honey= Good for you in moderation

sa_butta
07-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I drink at least one glass of chocolate whole milk everyday.

Jekka
07-11-2005, 11:50 AM
besides it says europe, i dont remember a human evolutionairy theory called "out of europe"

Many tribal societies in Africa live and die by what goes on with their livestock - those cows are their livelihood - they drink the blood and the milk and eat the meat, as they have done as long as anyone can remember - these people evolved to drink milk, as did most of the Europeans. People native to many parts of eastern Asia and their descendents that ended up in the western hemisphere did not evolve to drink milk, which is why most Native Americans are lactose intolerant and many Asians are. Whether it is natural to drink cow's milk it totally dependent on your ancestry.

SpursWoman
07-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Many tribal societies in Africa live and die by what goes on with their livestock - those cows are their livelihood - they drink the blood and the milk and eat the meat, as they have done as long as anyone can remember - these people evolved to drink milk, as did most of the Europeans. People native to many parts of eastern Asia and their descendents that ended up in the western hemisphere did not evolve to drink milk, which is why most Native Americans are lactose intolerant and many Asians are. Whether it is natural to drink cow's milk it totally dependent on your ancestry.

And goats as well. When we lived in Africa my sister went on a visit to a Masai tribe, she took a picture of one tribe member drinking goat's blood. It's gross.

ObiwanGinobili
07-11-2005, 12:06 PM
what we have learned

A. Some people like milk
B. Some people do not like milk
C. The people who like milk drink a variety of types. (skim to whole)
D. The people who don't like milk may or may not drink milk substitutes. (goats, soy, rice)

Class, there will be a test later. Take good notes, be prepared.

JoePublic
07-11-2005, 12:08 PM
I was breast fed. Maybe that's why I love milk?

ObiwanGinobili
07-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I was breast fed. Maybe that's why I love milk?

But have you tasted breastmilk now as an adult? It is very very different. It doesn't taste anything like cows milk.