PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jack Ramsay hangs up the boots

irishock
05-10-2013, 12:29 AM
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1249779
Report: Jack Ramsay's career over

ESPN Radio analyst and Basketball Hall of Famer Dr. Jack Ramsay is in need of immediate medical treatment and will not work the remainder of the playoffs, according to the Miami Herald.

Since Ramsay previously had stated this likely would have been his last season in the booth, his broadcasting career is likely over.

ESPN released a statement Thursday that read: "Our thoughts are with Dr. Jack, who is an important member of the ESPN family. We wish him the very best,"

Ramsay, 88, did not specify his medical condition in the report. However he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer 14 years ago and previously has been treated for melanomas.

"I'm going back to Naples and will start the treatment on Monday there," Ramsay told the newspaper. "I have a specific time period where I must have this and cannot do it if I'm traveling around. I'll miss doing the broadcasts."

Ramsay, a Miami Heat broadcaster from 1992-2000, had been scheduled to work Game 3 of the series between the Heat and Chicago Bulls.

In 20 full seasons as an NBA head coach, his teams made the playoffs 16 times, highlighted by winning the 1976-77 championship with the Portland Trail Blazers. He also won a title while serving as general manager of the Philadelphia 76ers in the 1966-67 season.

In 1992, Ramsay was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame with 864 regular-season coaching victories.

InRareForm
05-10-2013, 12:34 AM
wow... 88

true pioneer with staying with basketball until the near end. God Bless