PDA

View Full Version : Steph needs to be BUMPED alot. We need some Bruce Bowen type D and play physical

Man In Black
05-10-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/61766/the-new-stephen-curry-how-the-warriors-super-shooter-has-transformed-his-game-in-the-playoffs

In very simple terms, Golden State has taken Lee’s touches and given them to Curry, unleashing him as something much closer to a full-time off-the-dribble force. And as it turns out, most standard NBA defenses are simply not equipped to deal with an off-the-dribble player who can shoot 45 percent from 3-point range. The change has crystallized against the Spurs, who haven’t been as committed as Denver to trying to take the ball from Curry’s hands with aggressive traps out toward midcourt; Curry dribbled the ball more in both Game 1 and Game 2 of this series than in any of the approximately 60 prior games recorded by SportVU data-tracking cameras installed at Golden State’s home arena and 14 other arenas this season, per data provided exclusively to Grantland. He has held the ball for nearly three more full minutes per game over those two games than he did on average in the regular season, a massive change for a player who controlled the ball, on average, about 5:20 per game this season, according to the data.

Want more? Only about 14 percent of possessions Curry finished in the regular season came on isolation plays, per Synergy Sports. That share is up to 29 percent — a Carmelo Anthony/Kobe Bryant level — so far in the playoffs, and a lot of those isolations actually come after pick-and-rolls that draw switches or otherwise bend the defense just a bit first. He’s orchestrating about 30 pick-and-rolls per game, up from about 18 on average in the regular season, according to the camera data. And he’s absolutely letting it fly off the dribble; Curry jacked about 6.3 off-the-bounce jumpers in the regular season, but he’s launching nine per game so far in the playoffs. Curry is jacking nine 3-pointers per game in the playoffs, a record for any player who has logged at least 300 postseason minutes; only Mookie Blaylock really came close to launching at this rate.

It's a good read and confirms that them losing Lee has actually made GSW more dangerous. :bang But still, I think the the Spurs just need to bump him more and introduce him to PLAYOFF BASKETBALL.

raybies
05-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Cant afford to get green and Leonard in foul trouble. Tbh
Green Imo is our second best defensive wing after Leonard.
We need them to Match up with Thompson and curry.
Ginóbili hasnt been much help on d and Neal is worse.

We can dictate the flow of their offense just by purposefully putting Parker on barnes.

As for curry, Danny and kawhi have been effective enough. We just have to play him tighter on picks and make him drive. Having splitter in with Duncan helps protect the RIM.

gameFACE
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Maybe Nando and Cory Joseph can come in and foul Curry. They're quick enough to. Think of what happens when you get physical with other shooting PG's like CP3 and Deron Williams. They get hrown off kilter.

monkeypunk
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I say throw Baynes out there for his 6 fouls. Kevin Willis type hard fouls in the paint, who cares if he fouls out. Sub him out right after but we need someone in there to lay down some hard playoff fouls and throw these guys off their layup drills.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I agree that we need to be more physical with him. He also needs to be working on D so he tires out a little, so we need to go right at him when we have the ball...get those little arms of his tired from playing defense. He definitely flattens his shot out as he tires.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Why not just fucking play defense? Why do the Spurs have to turn into the Charlestown Chiefs? The Spurs are the better team. Just play your game when you're the favorite.

CitizenDwayne
05-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Why not just fucking play defense?

CitizenDwayne
05-10-2013, 02:19 PM
If you guys caught wind of another fanbase talking this way about our guys, you'd be shitting your pants and criticizing the lack of class. Settle down.

Darius McCrary
05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
We do need to play Spurs Defense, and in addition to that, foul the kid hard on his layups.

Why does Parker end up on his ass 99% of times he takes it to the rim, but Curry is smiling and skipping around like its no big deal?
Curry has blatantly tired in the late 3rd Q both game 1 and 2. Playing actual defense on him will exacerbate that fatigue.

Budkin
05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
He's going to get superstar calls all night if we do that.

RD2191
05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Where is tim duncan tbh. Has he even had a block this series. No inside presence whatsoever. Im starting to think the dpoy was spot on with gasol.

look_at_g_shred
05-10-2013, 02:40 PM
He's going to get superstar calls all night if we do that.

look_at_g_shred
05-10-2013, 02:41 PM
In addition to us playing better defense, how about we fight through the damn screens instead of looking like pussies running into them.

Man In Black
05-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Play physical like Chicago and just let the chips fall where they may. This is the playoffs and it's a more physical brand of hoops. Nothing dirty, just make them earn it a bit. That isn't asking much, that's just saying to step up the intensity. You have to want it more.

hater
05-10-2013, 03:58 PM
We have a bunch of fucking choir boys in our team. that is why we havent won jack in years. We used to win with Bowen, Horry bullying niggas. Now it's just a touchy feely gay fucking defense that will allow little shits like Elian go Candela.

Goddam we have a soft fucking team. :pctoss Bruce Bowen would already have put that little shit on a wheel chair.

I'd say if Elian doesn't go to the line at least 15 times tonight, we have fucking failed

Man In Black
05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
More from the same article:

San Antonio might take a note from George Karl and have a wing player defend Bogut (as Wilson Chandler did), slotting a quicker player on the Warriors’ go-to pick-and-roll screener, a move that allows for freer trapping or switching. But Duncan has to hide someplace in that scenario, and Bogut would have a huge advantage on the offensive glass.

Perhaps the best move might be to return to the Duncan–Tiago Splitter starting frontcourt that helped propel San Antonio back among the league’s top five overall defenses after working for two years as a rarely used novelty duo. Splitter is a bit more mobile than Duncan and might be able to chase Curry farther from the hoop, and either Duncan or Splitter would be able to defend Draymond Green or Carl Landry without a problem. Things get dicier if the Warriors go super small, with Barnes at power forward, but there is something to be said for maximizing size, rim protection, and the ability to post up on offense. And if you’re trying to run Curry off the 3-point arc, you might as well have a second big hanging around the rim to challenge shots there. The Spurs probably posted up too much in Game 2, but they’re smart, and they’ll recalibrate so that post-ups are vehicles to find open 3-pointers or cutters.

PLAY BIG POP!

Obstructed_View
05-10-2013, 08:17 PM
We do need to play Spurs Defense, and in addition to that, foul the kid hard on his layups.
After the first two games, I dream of a Spurs defense where someone's close enough to challenge his layups, let alone foul him or foul him hard.

Whisky Dog
05-10-2013, 08:36 PM
After the first two games, I dream of a Spurs defense where someone's close enough to challenge his layups, let alone foul him or foul him hard.

Spurs championship defense consisted of one of the baddest, dirtiest perimeter defenders the game has ever seen. If you beat Bowen in a few jumpers all of a sudden his foot would find it's way under yours on the next one. Getting rough and playing with toughness and a little dirty would be Spurs defense.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Spurs championship defense consisted of one of the baddest, dirtiest perimeter defenders the game has ever seen. If you beat Bowen in a few jumpers all of a sudden his foot would find it's way under yours on the next one. Getting rough and playing with toughness and a little dirty would be Spurs defense.
You're stupid. Bowen never needed to cheat to beat anyone.

TheGoldStandard
05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Tonight Tiago will start, they're gonna go big and see if they can slow things down. We'll play better defense in the sense that we'll ACTUALLY play defense in the first half, no more stupid double teams in the low block and everyone will think it was something amazing when it's just basketball 101.

RD2191
05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/9263518/chicago-bulls-nazr-mohammed-ejected-shoving-lebron-james-floor

Whisky Dog
05-10-2013, 08:58 PM

So you think shooters throwing fits when Bowen would just simply happen to have hit foot under theirs when they land was a coincidence?

Bowen was one of my favorite players of all time because he would do whatever it took to get a scorer off his game. It wasn't cheating, it was playing rough playoff basketball. If you want to keep a delusional base on that then be my guest, I won't try to upset your delicate sensibilities.

milkyway21
05-11-2013, 06:04 AM
The SAN ANTONIO SPURS team, the TWIN TOWERS are already in the books making history because of their NBA titles, activities for charity, All-Star representations, and other good guy stuff.

What other fans say that bother me? By just mentioning we won because we had a dirty player like Bowen.. :cuss

Bowen is not just for defense he was also a good shooter from the 3-pt line..remember how he helped us vs Phoenix in 2003 game 4 by shooting 5-6(80%+) from the arc? And few days after, in 2nd rnd game 2 helped to dismantle the Lakers by shooting 7 out of 8 from the same area? that's practically over 80% too from the 3pt line. But the fans from our opponents will only remember him as one, if not, the dirtiest player in the NBA before. Guilty or not, that is not how you are supposed to be remembered when you retire :( sad.

10 dirtiest players in the league
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1634481-the-10-dirtiest-nba-players-in-league-history/page/2

So win or lose, I oppose on deliberately harming players from the other side. The Spurs can win the battle in any other way.

chapnis
05-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Or just play great D like green did in game 3.

milkyway21
05-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Or just play great D like green did in game 3. yeah!

this one I am okay with this :lmao

http://64.19.142.11/www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/imagecache/image_gallery_default/130511_001.JPG_hyuncompressed

racm
05-11-2013, 06:51 AM
What IcyHot did in Game 3 needs to be sustained if the Spurs want to take command of the series.

mudyez
05-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Good stuff.

"One pizza tonno and a can of lockdown D please!"

:tu

pgardn
05-11-2013, 07:02 AM
I am not sure we have better individual talent.

Thompson and Curry v. Parker and Ginobili .... Hmmmm.

Imo Thompson is as good a defender as anyone we have including Leonard. The best thing that happened to them is Lee going down.

Darius McCrary
05-11-2013, 07:47 AM

That guy watched too many Ray Allen Seattle / Spurs games

exstatic
05-11-2013, 09:23 AM

I'm not sure it is a coincidence that after he was fouled on that breakaway in the 4th by Neal/Green and knocked down, he turned his ankle a few plays later trying to avoid contact on the perimeter.

exstatic
05-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Bowen's best attribute was putting you under time pressure. He would shoot the gaps and get deflections or just deny the pass. By the time you actually got the ball, it was single digits on the shot clock, and THEN he was all in your grill. He did his work early.

100%duncan
05-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I miss this dude :cry