PDA

View Full Version : KABB reports about Devin

MannyIsGod
07-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Said he's talked to a team 3 times today and they are thinking about flying him in, but they did not name a team.

I wonder if it's just his agent trying to put some heat on the Spurs?

timvp
07-10-2005, 09:36 PM
My guesses would be Bobcats or Nuggets.

Spurs can't afford to lose him ... unless some team just throws a ton of money at him.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 09:36 PM
My guesses are Bulls and Cavs.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-10-2005, 09:38 PM
vbookie?

MannyIsGod
I can see the Bobcats making a run at him. But I don't think they'd throw money at him. The Cavs also make sense because of the Ferry connection, but I'm mistified as to why the Bulls would want him.

King
What's the max you would match to Devin?

(Are you going tonight, LJ?)

MannyIsGod
07-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I really hate to give Devin anything more than the LLE, but I think they should match any offer up to 3 million per year.

violentkitten
he's restricted and the spurs have his early bird rights so for a team to have a shot at landing him they basically have to offer him something that starts above the mid-level exception or perhaps offer him a long term deal at a lower price and hope the spurs don't match.

in the end, i think that should be enough to scare away any potential suitor. but hey, i guess a team could get desperate...

timvp
I'd go up to about three or four million per year.

P.S.

King, yeah I'll be there.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't think the Spurs will offer him anything more than $2.5M per year.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I really hate to give Devin anything more than the LLE, but I think they should match any offer up to 3 million per year.

devin is definitely worth more than that. honestly, he should get the standard 3 year, $10 mil role player contract that malik and bruce received in year's past.

if dbrown hadn't gone out with his injury this year, he would've been in the playoff rotation instead of billion barry and everyone here would be talking about giving him a long term deal and $15 to 18 mil guaranteed.

King
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the longterm SF replacement for Bruce, so I'd hate to play hardball with him. Nothing lucrative, but between 3-4 per.

timvp
07-10-2005, 09:44 PM
If it comes down to another team outbidding the Spurs at a number they could match, I'd be dissapointed. The Spurs aren't in a position where they have a lot of room to add talent on a yearly basis, so they have to keep the talent that is on the roster.

If Brown leaves, the MLE would suddenly have to be used to get a swingman.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 09:47 PM
If it comes down to another team outbidding the Spurs at a number they could match, I'd be dissapointed. The Spurs aren't in a position where they have a lot of room to add talent on a yearly basis, so they have to keep the talent that is on the roster.

If Brown leaves, the MLE would suddenly have to be used to get a swingman.

exactly. a problem is created and the cost would be the same for a comparable replacement.

it would have to be something fairly outlandish for the spurs not to match. i can't really see a team offering him more than the mid-level, even if it was only for a year or two.

spurs should come with a solid offer and get the deal done, just like horry. right now it looks like the spurs have told brown and his agent to go out and see what his price is in the market.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 09:51 PM
thinking out loud...if denver can't find another 2, devin might be very attractive to them...taking a piece away from the spurs would be a bonus...

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 10:01 PM
The Spurs don't have the money to get Antonio.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 10:06 PM
kori, quit it. the spurs have as much money as they want.

why do people think the spurs have "no money"

How would they sign Antonio? They'd have to give him the whole MLE and then they'd have no money left for Scola or any other free agents.

Do you know how it the whole salary cap works?

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 10:07 PM
It's not a matter of paying the luxury tax. Because they are over the salary cap, they still have to have the exceptions to sign the players. The only exceptions that they have are the MLE and the LLE. That's all they can use to sign players.

violentkitten
07-10-2005, 10:09 PM
yeah and the only way the spurs could land antonio would be in a sign and trade with the sonics and the spurs would have to dilute their talent by sending out rasho and....

...wait, get on the phone RC :drunk

Chris
07-10-2005, 10:19 PM
I think Devin wants another ring so he knows where to go.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Barkley was only 6'4". But that was with a 50" waist.

blaze89
07-10-2005, 10:33 PM
I don't think the Spurs will offer him anything more than $2.5M per year.

I actually think Devin will be happy with that.

ducks
07-10-2005, 10:33 PM
I think brown should settle for a 2 year deal with a player option
and if he finnally stays healthy then reward him next year

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Don't back problems like Devin's never really go away?

How much money would a team be willing to throw at a player who's health is questionable? I don't think the Spurs would pay too much for a risk like that. Pop & Co. are too conservative for that methinks.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are on top of his condition. If he had not been sidetracked by that injury he would've supplanted Barry in the playoff rotation. Then 3 years and $12 to 15 mil would be what us virtual GMs would be giving him.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Don't back problems like Devin's never really go away?

Pop says that they were told by several doctors that Devin's injury is not the type that will be reoccurring.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2005, 10:41 PM
for the record isn't devin really only 6'2"

He's probably about 6'3.5

ducks
07-10-2005, 10:43 PM
I meant he should settle for a 2 year deal and then next year get paid like the 15 million dollar figure you are throwing out mb

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2005, 10:45 PM
He's a very nice player in the Spurs' system. Unless a team throws crazy money at him or the injury is much worse than is being let on he is worth a guaranteed deal of 3 years and $12 to 15 mil.

Russ
07-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I think the Spurs will play it cool with Devin for a while. Other teams will look for signals from the Spurs regarding the health issue, figuring that the Spurs know more than anyone else about that. (Heck, they think the Spurs know more than anyone about everything, really, certainly about one of their own players).

I think another team will be unlikely to give Deviin any substantial offer as long as the Spurs are playing it coy. :)

That's probably why Devin's camp is trying to stir the pot now.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Yeah, Devin's injury unfortunately is going to cost him, at least for the time being.

Mavs<Spurs
07-10-2005, 11:30 PM
That was seriously rude for KSAT and even below the low standards that you all have seem to have come to expect from them.
Stay tuned because A Spur from the last title run is leaving and it turns out not to have even been a player. It was only Lance Blanks! What's that all about! Blatant attempt to grab our money and screw us at the same time!
I don't know. They don't seem to be a great source of information.
ESPN insider, woai, NBA tv, all seem to be better. Save us needless angst!

Motion to boycott!

Any seconds?

:pctoss :fro

DDS4
07-10-2005, 11:58 PM
I can't blame either Devin or Spurs management if he doesn't return to SA.

Devin is a higher risk no matter how you cut it. Not sure the Spurs want to make that big of a commitment in terms of dollars or years.

On the other hand, Devin is entitled to go where he can get the most money.

GoSpurs21
07-11-2005, 12:05 AM
does anybody really know what the salary cap (~54M) and luxury cap (10M more than salary cap) will be next year?
until then I wont really get excited about Devin leaving or not.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 12:08 AM
does anybody really know what the salary cap (~54M) and luxury cap (10M more than salary cap) will be next year?
until then I wont really get excited about Devin leaving or not.

No one knows yet, but the guesses have been that the salary cap is around $50M.

GoSpurs21
07-11-2005, 12:09 AM
No one knows yet, but the guesses have been that the salary cap is around $50M.last I saw in press was 54M

GoSpurs21
07-11-2005, 12:11 AM
nope all SA sports news teams suck ass so why should I boycott any of them
chalk this topic up to another spupid idea

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 12:13 AM
I don't think anyone is expecting it to be that high. Chad Ford is usually fairly accurate on what it's going to be and here's what he says.

The salary cap this year is expected to come in between $48 and $51 million. For purposes of this article, we've split the difference and used an estimated $49.5 million figure.

whottt
07-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Devin will be back if the Spurs want him back and that's all there is to it...he's not going to get offered 6 million a year somewhere...and he wants to come back.

I think the Spurs are going to consider the fact that he has had back injuries at playoff time the past two years...but I think they will also consider how badly he wants to be a Spur, the fact that Barry and Bowen are pushing 35, and that there is really no one up n coming behind Bruce or Manu...if his back injury really isn't a recurring condition, his youth will win out.

IMO, Devin will be back and he'll be back at around the 2.5 million figure that Kori mentioned earlier...

Every time I have heard Devin talk...it doesn't even sound like he's considering being anything other than a Spur.

I also think that the team that is interested in him probably is Cleveland...

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 12:24 AM
I think the Spurs are going to consider the fact that he has had back injuries at playoff time the past two years

No he didn't. He had a rib injury in the 2003-04 playoffs caused by Kevin Willis dropping him - they thought his ribs might have been broken. It wasn't his back.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2005, 12:24 AM
wasnt his back injury last season due to kevin willis suplexing him?

whottt
07-11-2005, 12:27 AM
My bad then...I knew he was injured by Willis but I thought it was his back that got injured.

I think that if there is really no problem with his back then he'll be back...if it is more serious, he probably won't be unless he takes a low contract.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2005, 12:28 AM
hey whottt will you change your avatar to devin next season?

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 12:29 AM
My bad then...I knew he was injured by Willis but I thought it was his back that got injured.

I think that if there is really no problem with his back then he'll be back...if it is more serious, he probably won't be unless he takes a low contract.

The Spurs declined to sign anyone, in part, because Brown might be able to play in the first round.

The Spurs initially feared Brown might have broken his ribs after Kevin Willis dropped him when the two were playing around in the locker room after the Spurs' victory over Portland on March 9. Popovich said Saturday he thinks Brown, who has begun shooting, might be able to return for the third or fourth game of the series.

whottt
07-11-2005, 12:30 AM
LOL...looking at how things turned out for poor Romain...why would you want me to do that to Devin?

Juwan Howard got put in my title and it finished his season...Romain got put into my avatar and he is an NBA washout...

I think I might put Amare or Kobe in my avatar this season ;)

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2005, 12:31 AM
LOL...looking at how things turned out for poor Romain...why would you want me to do that to Devin?

Juwan Howard got put in my title and it finished his season...Romain got put into my avatar and he is an NBA washout...

I think I might put Amare or Kobe in my avatar this season ;)

good point, i had no idea about juwan...

yeah you should just leave Romain there, it does kind of distinguish you. whenever i see you posting i think of you looking like Romain Sato.

BruceBowenFan
07-11-2005, 12:38 AM
i think the guys at woai guys are pretty good

angel_luv
07-11-2005, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't miss KSAT at all if Woai would do a noon time sports report.

GoSpurs21
07-11-2005, 12:40 AM
he can post what's on his mindsure he can post whatever he wants...I never said he couldnt

but I can call it the way I see it...that's the great thing about the States and Kori and TiMVPs site...we both have those freedoms

GoSpurs21
07-11-2005, 12:42 AM
its up to Devin...does he want to chase the money in another organization that may or maynot play him a lot (see Speedy Claxton and Steven Jackson) or win more championships for less money?

shame on the Spurs for not signing him to a better extension. Devin, do what ever is in your heart. My guess is the Spurs will offer him 10M over 3 years, whatever that works out to be.

Does anybody know what happens if another team offers him more money?
Does Devin have to accept the other offer (in order to make the Spurs match), or can he decline the offer? (thats the real question)

I don't think anyone is expecting it to be that high. Chad Ford is usually fairly accurate on what it's going to be and here's what he says.the salary cap doesnt matter, its the luxury cap that concerns the management. and everything I have read and heard says it will be a lot more lenient than in the past CBA.

angel_luv
07-11-2005, 12:42 AM
I do agree with Go Spurs that Ksat's teaser was stupid and tasteless one. They upset me for no reason at all.

Old School Chic
07-11-2005, 12:43 AM
WOAI the best!

GoSpurs21
07-11-2005, 12:54 AM
WOAI the best!you've got to be kidding...don hairless is the worst and he has always been a Parker hater

ZStomp
07-11-2005, 01:04 AM
No way! I enjoy KSAT more than the other channels. Their planned worked right. It kept you watching or made you return to watch it...in my eyes....thats good!

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 01:07 AM
the salary cap doesnt matter, its the luxury cap that concerns the management. and everything I have read and heard says it will be a lot more lenient than in the past CBA

The Luxury Tax threshhold is estimated around $60M.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2005, 01:16 AM
It made y'all tune in, so it (the teaser) did its job.

Welcome to mass media.

ZStomp
07-11-2005, 01:49 AM
It made y'all tune in, so it (the teaser) did its job.

Welcome to mass media.

Wow..AHF and I agree on something!

:lol

TMTTRIO
07-11-2005, 01:51 AM
i think the guys at woai guys are pretty good
I especially liked when they said that Manu wasn't happy with his agent and gave him a call for giving Phoenix Bell whom he hates playing against :lol.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Thw worst has to be KEN5.

Godamn... why is Joe R. doing sports?

Exampls:

When he interviewed Linton Johnson last year at media day, there had be alot of talk right after we signe dhim about him looking like SJax. Anyway, so Joe R. says to LJ3 that everyone is comparing his game to SJax and that he'd be the one hitting the clutch threes. Man...

Also, after the Spurs won the title, Joe R. was on the SBC floor interviewing players. He gets to Brent, does the interview and then Brent leaves. Joe. R sends it to Chris Marrou who's outside the SBC Center and Chris asks: "Hey, Joe, has Brent's father ever won a title?" Ok, fine, Chris Marrou asked, he's the lead anchor. No problem. Joe R's response? "Um... You know what, I don't think so, but maybe. I'll ask Brent when I see him. Five minutes later they cut back to Joe and he finally answers Chris' question. "Brent just told me his dad did win a title."

Both stories true as ice being frozen water.

Trainwreck2100
07-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Reinagel get's on my last nerve someone's gotta hire back Cook even on life support he's miles ahead of all these other guys.

(Dan Cook is not on life support, and if he's dead Zombie Dan Cook is better than all the other guys)

gospursgojas
07-11-2005, 03:30 AM
I play ball with Joe and Bil taylor the weatherguy...Bill is pretty good, Joe can hit his shot once in a while

Tek_XX
07-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Spurs should give Devin what they think he's worth and he'll be back.

boutons
07-11-2005, 05:15 AM
When Devin talked about his herniated disc, he said it unlike his perennial back problems that caused him to miss a week or two with common back cramps. I don't remember him giving any details going back to college or HS, but it sure sounds like he has had, and therefore will probably continue to have, one or two episodes of back cramps per season. Back problems get worse with age, as everybody's discs flatten and nerves are more at risk of being pinched.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 06:12 AM
When Devin talked about his herniated disc, he said it unlike his perennial back problems that caused him to miss a week or two with common back cramps. I don't remember him giving any details going back to college or HS, but it sure sounds like he has had, and therefore will probably continue to have, one or two episodes of back cramps per season. Back problems get worse with age, as everybody's discs flatten and nerves are more at risk of being pinched.

I'm glad you know better than the two or three doctors that have told the Spurs it's not a reoccuring problem.

boutons
07-11-2005, 06:23 AM
I'm sad you didn't read better. I said that his FIRST-TIME HERNIATED DISC, which is what the doctors were referring to, may not recur, but expect his admitted, already-chronic, annual back spasms to recur.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 06:32 AM
his admitted, already-chronic, annual back spasms to recur.

According to Devin, he doesn't have chronic back spasms.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 06:35 AM
When Devin talked about his herniated disc, he said it unlike his perennial back problems that caused him to miss a week or two with common back cramps.

This sentence doesn't read well. Maybe it led to my reading comprehension problems.

spurster
07-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Devin is a decent bench player for the Spurs to have around, but now he is the 4th swingman after Manu, Bruce, and Brent. I would guess the Spurs would like to pay him LLE-level money and go maybe another $1M higher. If Devin gets a good outside offer with substantially more playing time, then I think he will take the opportunity.

boutons
07-11-2005, 08:51 AM
I remember very clearly around the time of his herniated disc, that he said his herniated disc wasn't like his earlier back problems/spasms that he had had repeatedly, even at least once during his first Spur season. He said it took a week or two for his spasms to go away (which the common for almost everybody's back spasms), but they always had in the past. NOT the same situation with his herniated disc.

Devin may not (want to) call it "chronic back problems", but when you have recurrences of back spasms, it's chronic, whether he calls it chronic or not.

Like everybody else here, I'm hoping his herniated disc was "episodic", which is what the doctors said it was.

We hear all NBA season (also, in almost any other sport) about some player or the other having to miss a game or two due to lower back spasms, back cramps, or "tightness". No fun, but no big deal. However, there have been athletes who have had to retire, sometimes before 20 years old (I remember some teen girl tennis wonder) because the spasms are recur too frequently, too long.

violentkitten
07-11-2005, 08:52 AM
you pay devin. the spurs have some age on the perimeter in barry and bowen. also, i'm still not sold on barry.

the spurs are definitely going to kick back and see what other teams think about devin. i'm sure if there is some serious interest that the spurs will step in and get a deal done.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-11-2005, 08:59 AM
That back injury may have been some sort of whacked out blessing in disguise for Spurs fans. Even if Devin is 100% healthy I think that most of the NBA is going to be a little wary of taking any kind of real chance on him since backs can be so damn tricky. Spurs get to keep a key reserve on the cheap and avoid the PR problem of having to let another fan favorite go, and Devin gets to stay in SA. Still, sucks for that guy because one disc probably cost him a few mil.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Boutons completely off base calling it a herniated disk? I could have sworn it wasn't that at all.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Well, according to all the news reports I just read, they are all calling/called it a herniated disc injury. But my understanding was that there was an inflamation of his nerves around the disc and that is what was causing the pain, not an actual herniated disc. I think thats why doctors think there is no real cause for long term concern. If it had been an actual herniated disc, I think there would be more problems. But alas, I'm no doctor, I just play one on Spurstalk.com.

SpursChampsIII
07-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Devin brings lots of energy when he enters the game, but that's just it...he is a reserve role player. No way the Spurs should give him more than the 2.5 Kori mentions above. Maybe sign him to a one year deal and let's see how well his back holds up...then we can pay the man. I don't intend this sentence to be negative, but we did win the championship without him. I like Devin and I hope he stays.

boutons
07-11-2005, 10:56 AM
The two events are related. The herniated disc impinges on the nerve(s), which go nutz, send out signals to immobilize the area, thereby defending the nerve, by cramping the muscles.

In Devin's case, one of the nerves affected controlled his leg, semi-paralyzing it. His leg muscles atrophied. That's why even after the pain was gone, he couldn't play because his leg muscles had not recovered the strength and explosiveness lost to the atrophy. Weakened leg muscles could lead to other injuries, like knee, ankle, hip.

T Park
07-11-2005, 11:11 AM
boutons,

is an NBA road record expert AND doctor now.

Vashner
07-11-2005, 11:16 AM
99% of disk problems are permanent. He's 1 injury away from retirement. I would like the Spurs to try to keep him but until we can see him play an ENTIRE season without back problems he's suspect for big money.

midgetonadonkey
07-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Devin is a decent bench player for the Spurs to have around, but now he is the 4th swingman after Manu, Bruce, and Brent. I would guess the Spurs would like to pay him LLE-level money and go maybe another $1M higher. If Devin gets a good outside offer with substantially more playing time, then I think he will take the opportunity.

I think he would turn down anything that is a little higher than what the Spurs will offer. I feel he really loves playing in his hometown and is willing to take less cash to do so. Even if he turns down an extra million he still won't be going hungry.

boutons
07-11-2005, 12:46 PM
"NBA road record expert AND doctor now."

I'll take that anyday vs being a notorious quitter and liar and trash-talking, no-nothing sonofabitch. Your stupid, agressive, unprovoked attack is EXACTLY why so many people on this board wanted you keep your word and STFU for a year.

pache100
07-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Blatant attempt to grab our money and screw us at the same time!

How exactly are they "grabbing your money"? I have never seen anyone from a television station in my wallet getting my cash.

I don't know. They don't seem to be a great source of information.
ESPN insider, woai, NBA tv, all seem to be better. Save us needless angst!

Motion to boycott!

Any seconds?

:pctoss :fro

Boycott away. Whatever blows your skirt up. Sounds stupid and childish to me, though. Those things they say before and at the beginning of the news are known throughout the industry as "teasers". And all stations and networks use them.

How old are you?

Vashner
07-11-2005, 01:52 PM
I think as long as Devin stays in the NBA he will be happy...
He should be more worried about his back than anything.. if he plays hard it
could cost him years of more discomfort and medications.

ObiwanGinobili
07-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I vote we keep Devin.
I 'm not even entertainign the thought that it could work out any different.
I won't alow that kind of negativity.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I talked to Dvein yesterday, he's not going anywhere

Did you talk to him on the phone? Because isn't he in Miami playing golf?

1Parker1
07-11-2005, 03:28 PM
How does he know Devin personally like that?

Vashner
07-11-2005, 05:23 PM
There are player lurkers here too... ya never know who's postin.