PDA

View Full Version : Timmy on Kawhi game 3

KenziE
05-11-2013, 07:33 AM
anybody else noticed it during the game, 21 was all over Kawhi giving him confidence the whole game and at the end they were hugging and laughing at the bench

end of 2nd quarter

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu75/kenziesky/CA146CCD-7576-49DD-B4C2-D47951E1B7B2-5885-00000136DD5B5ABF.jpg (http://s635.photobucket.com/user/kenziesky/media/CA146CCD-7576-49DD-B4C2-D47951E1B7B2-5885-00000136DD5B5ABF.jpg.html)

end of 3rd quarter after Kawhi missed a freethrow
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu75/kenziesky/91F3D441-A685-4958-A9BB-8ED99877651B-5885-00000139205BCA64.jpg (http://s635.photobucket.com/user/kenziesky/media/91F3D441-A685-4958-A9BB-8ED99877651B-5885-00000139205BCA64.jpg.html)

end of the game laughing it out at the bench

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu75/kenziesky/FB273A10-4DD2-4870-8729-A907C6AFA398-5885-00000140FC233AB2.jpg (http://s635.photobucket.com/user/kenziesky/media/FB273A10-4DD2-4870-8729-A907C6AFA398-5885-00000140FC233AB2.jpg.html)

racm
05-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Consummate teammate.

spursparker9
05-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Timmy is the one of the best teammate.

He also train/mentor Roy Hibbert and others in the off-season.

Gagnrath
05-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Wait hasn't timmy learned yet that you aren't alloud to laugh on the bench during games?

hooperflash
05-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Awesome to see, can they edit the thread title to Tim Encouraging Kawhi Throughout Game 3 (PHOTOS)?

KenziE
05-11-2013, 07:48 AM
yeah edit if for me pls cant seem to do it

The_Worlds_finest
05-11-2013, 07:59 AM
bro for the love of all things, Press Prtscrn, open paint, control paste, crop down to the size, upload to imgur.com. dont fucking upload photos from your phone it looks idiotic, aside from that awesome photos

KenziE
05-11-2013, 08:09 AM
bro for the love of all things, Press Prtscrn, open paint, control paste, crop down to the size, upload to imgur.com. dont fucking upload photos from your phone it looks idiotic, aside from that awesome photos

how do i print screen bro ? i just took the shot from my PC while re watching it on league pass

100%duncan
05-11-2013, 08:44 AM
how do i print screen bro ? i just took the shot from my PC while re watching it on league pass

press control then prt screen.

as for OP: Yup I really noticed that. Damn great to see. Kawhi needed to calm down and Tim was doing his best to help him.

boutons_deux
05-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Leonard has always seemed to be the guy with no fear, no self-doubt, strong-willed.

What happened now that he needs Tim's baby sitting and TLC?

He may be learning, we hope, that his goal to progress to being All-Star is more than just physical. Sports are always and above all mental, psychological.

weebo
05-11-2013, 11:21 AM
TD just playing the 'good cop' to Pop's 'bad cop' routine. If you've noticed, Pop has been pretty harsh on KL a few times throughout this series.

Mugen
05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I thought Timmy was chewing him out after the missed FT. Seemed to me like Timmy was telling him to get his head in the game. Good to see the end of the 4th qtr stuff between the two.

The mic'd up bits of Parker also showed him being a good leader. Something, that kinda gets overlooked with him.

Kawhi/Green hit some huge 3s in the 4th too. Great to see the young guys step up on the road.

TVI
05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Alt-print screen, but you might need to disable overlays (video acceleration) if your screen cap comes out black.

szkorhetz
05-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I thought Timmy was chewing him out after the missed FT. Seemed to me like Timmy was telling him to get his head in the game. Good to see the end of the 4th qtr stuff between the two.

The mic'd up bits of Parker also showed him being a good leader. Something, that kinda gets overlooked with him.

Kawhi/Green hit some huge 3s in the 4th too. Great to see the young guys step up on the road.

Agreed. That KL 3 sealed the game..

loveforthegame
05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
I loved this. I asked in the game day thread if something was going on with Leonard. I loved how Duncan was constantly on him (in a good way). I can only imagine what it would be like to have a veteran like Duncan there to guide you.

:tu

BackHome
05-11-2013, 11:43 AM
He needs to do that to Bonner and Splitter.

GSH
05-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Leonard has always seemed to be the guy with no fear, no self-doubt, strong-willed.

He may be learning, we hope, that his goal to progress to being All-Star is more than just physical. Sports are always and above all mental, psychological.

I saw Curry get Kawhi to over-commit, and then blew right past him - several times. Since his rookie year, I don't think Kawhi has been asked to guard anyone that gave him this much trouble. Maybe it's the first time he's had to face his own mortality. Imagine thinking that you're going to have to do that for a whole series, and if you lose you'll feel like it's your fault. And it sounds like Curry was hitting everything he looked at in the first game, so what do you do if you don't have any other tricks to throw at him?

You damn betcha the mental game is paramount. Nobody can put pressure on you like you can put on yourself. And Tim did exactly what was needed. I thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in sports, especially since it was something I've never seen Tim do before. (At least not nearly to that extent.) Sort of like the time Mo Cheeks stepped up and helped that little girl get through the National Anthem.

EricB
05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
TD just playing the 'good cop' to Pop's 'bad cop' routine. If you've noticed, Pop has been pretty harsh on KL a few times throughout this series.

Was the same way with Parker coming up. The ones that can handle it, pop will ride them and make them better. Look at what it has done for Parker.

stxspurs
05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
this is the vet getting ready to leave his team to the youngins

playbonner15
05-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Kawhi was getting nervous out there and Duncan was encouraging him like a big bro :toast

dbreiden83080
05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
The Media has largely ignored this aspect of Tim as well but he is one of the great leaders of all time in the NBA. Especially as he has got older he mentored so many young team-mates.

Stabula
05-11-2013, 01:54 PM
He needs to do that to Bonner and Splitter. He did it with Bonner in the Lakers series when Bonner started to sack up

Darius Bieber
05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Don't forget that if you have Windows 7, you can always use Snipping Tool. Easy as shit.

milkyway21
05-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Duncan used to baby sit SJax when he played for the Spurs the first year. Pop even assigned SJax's locker next to Duncan before :D

Tim Duncan is not only a basketball player, but also has a degree in Psychology. He could be a great team manager someday.

KenziE
05-11-2013, 06:36 PM
never saw KL laugh it out that much ever at the end of the game you can clearly see he was ear to ear laughing while 21 was hugging him you can even Chip England looking at their direction and was so happy for the team I LOVE TD !!!

* cant see here in the pic but if you watch the vid at the end of the game you'll see it ,i watched it like 1M times already wahaha

KenziE
05-11-2013, 06:38 PM

THIS too

HI-FI
05-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Timmy is so great, it's hard what else to say at this point.

I also think Timmy is one of the few people who can really speak or relate to Kawhi, in the sense that they've both lost a parent at a young age, and had to mature beyond their years.

There is an eerie symmetry between the two, kind of crazy how Kawhi ended up here. Hopefully he can be the next great Spur.

I noticed Tim hug him towards the end as well, just a great moment.

Wildcat67
05-11-2013, 06:45 PM
never saw KL laugh it out that much ever at the end of the game you can clearly see he was ear to ear laughing while 21 was hugging him you can even Chip England looking at their direction and was so happy for the team I LOVE TD !!!

* cant see here in the pic but if you watch the vid at the end of the game you'll see it ,i watched it like 1M times already wahaha

What vid?

milkyway21
05-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I bet that was due to Pop's pressure on Kawhi before game 3.
Remember the days when TP used to talk about the pressure during his rookie days-Pop constantly on his ear... look where is he now..he's on the elite list. It paid off. Kawhi is not just a role player he is mold to be the next generation of the Spurs team so this is just the beginning. And thanks for Duncan in helping his teammates understand their role . He's the common denominator of the team's 4 titles, he should know how. I know Kawhi will be very good, far greater than he is today, someday.

KenziE
05-11-2013, 06:51 PM
What vid?

end of the game i dont have a link though

Chinook
05-11-2013, 07:01 PM
It's absolutely essential that the top 8-9 players are in a good place mentally. Duncan knows the team can't afford to lose Leonard.

Chinook
05-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I saw Curry get Kawhi to over-commit, and then blew right past him - several times. Since his rookie year, I don't think Kawhi has been asked to guard anyone that gave him this much trouble. Maybe it's the first time he's had to face his own mortality. Imagine thinking that you're going to have to do that for a whole series, and if you lose you'll feel like it's your fault. And it sounds like Curry was hitting everything he looked at in the first game, so what do you do if you don't have any other tricks to throw at him?

You damn betcha the mental game is paramount. Nobody can put pressure on you like you can put on yourself. And Tim did exactly what was needed. I thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in sports, especially since it was something I've never seen Tim do before. (At least not nearly to that extent.) Sort of like the time Mo Cheeks stepped up and helped that little girl get through the National Anthem.

Rudy Gay took Kawhi's lunch in their first game against each other. Metta World Peace also beats him up.

I doubt he's "facing his own mortality," though. Leonard isn't the defensive jack-of-all-trades people on this board make him out to be. He often doesn't guard the other team's best perimeter defender. He's good on big twos and threes. That's greats, as many of the best players in the league fit that description. But he's never been good on points.

ace3g
05-11-2013, 07:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKA0TaOCIAA9OK9.png:large

apalisoc_9
05-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Rudy Gay took Kawhi's lunch in their first game against each other. Metta World Peace also beats him up.

I doubt he's "facing his own mortality," though. Leonard isn't the defensive jack-of-all-trades people on this board make him out to be. He often doesn't guard the other team's best perimeter defender. He's good on big twos and threes. That's greats, as many of the best players in the league fit that description. But he's never been good on points.

Disagree. Kawhi has defended 1 to 4's, he's definely a jack-of-all trades defender unless you define it differently. His defense when defending faster guards on screens and pick and rolls have been pretty average and on rare occasions bad, but it's something that can be easily fixed IMO. Also, even the greatest of defenders get beat from time to time, that's a given.

Chinook
05-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Disagree. Kawhi has defended 1 to 4's, he's definely a jack-of-all trades defender unless you define it differently. His defense when defending faster guards on screens and pick and rolls have been pretty average and on rare occasions bad, but it's something that can be easily fixed IMO. Also, even the greatest of defenders get beat from time to time, that's a given.

I was responding to a post saying Kawhi's struggles are the result of him dealing with a player beating him for the first time. That's not true. Leonard's been beaten plenty of times in his career. I doubt he's particularly upset about Curry. Getting beat doesn't make him a bad defender by any stretch.

Kawhi's defended 1-4s ... but not really. He can't play on points except for short stretches with a lot of help, and I haven't seen him check a legitimate big yet outside of Gasol for a couple of possessions last series. He's a wing defender, which is nice to have due to most elite players being wings nowadays. But at least right now, that's pretty much all he is. He doesn't get moved around enough to be considered that versatile; he almost always just guards the opposing small-forward. Yet people think he's clearly the best defender on team (the "captain of the perimeter defense" even), and they're not inclined to change that opinion no matter what actually goes on during games. I think it's unfair to him. People keep trying to make him out to be a star when he should just be allowed to be a role-player.

If he develops into an All-Star, great. But for now, he's nowhere near being part of the Big 4, nor is he Bruce Bowen.

Embedded
05-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Mr. Leonard on Thompson and Mr. Green on Curry seems to be our sweet spot, with Mr. Parker on Jack.

racm
05-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Leonard is better against smaller bigs and regular sized wings. Smaller ball-handling guards are his weakness, especially since he tends to go under screens and play the drive. Not a good idea against a shooter like Curry, so Green is better in this regard.

ace3g
05-12-2013, 09:54 AM
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Angry-Duncan-follows-Russell-4508673.php?t=5fa1944c91927fc3fb

“I've been trying to play a little angry,” he said. “I feel like I play better that way.”

JRHernandez88
05-12-2013, 01:04 PM
anybody else noticed it during the game, 21 was all over Kawhi giving him confidence the whole game and at the end they were hugging and laughing at the bench

end of 2nd quarter

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu75/kenziesky/CA146CCD-7576-49DD-B4C2-D47951E1B7B2-5885-00000136DD5B5ABF.jpg (http://s635.photobucket.com/user/kenziesky/media/CA146CCD-7576-49DD-B4C2-D47951E1B7B2-5885-00000136DD5B5ABF.jpg.html)

This stood out to me in the game. I laughed when I saw Tim bend all the way down to get like at eye level with him. lol

admiralfats
05-12-2013, 01:05 PM
The one where Tim is leaning down at halfcourt, I'm pretty sure he's chewing chewing him out a bit. This is right after kawhi and Manu were 2v2 fastbreaking and kawhi didn't give it up. Duncan chewed him out in the regular season not too long ago because kawhi faked a behind the back pass to Tim and then got fouled or missed on a fastbreak. Tim just reminding him of what to do there. Good stuff.

JRHernandez88
05-12-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Angry-Duncan-follows-Russell-4508673.php?t=5fa1944c91927fc3fb
:wow

Kawhi Angry???? I wonder who's teaching him that one.

apalisoc_9
05-12-2013, 01:19 PM
I was responding to a post saying Kawhi's struggles are the result of him dealing with a player beating him for the first time. That's not true. Leonard's been beaten plenty of times in his career. I doubt he's particularly upset about Curry. Getting beat doesn't make him a bad defender by any stretch.

Kawhi's defended 1-4s ... but not really. He can't play on points except for short stretches with a lot of help, and I haven't seen him check a legitimate big yet outside of Gasol for a couple of possessions last series. He's a wing defender, which is nice to have due to most elite players being wings nowadays. But at least right now, that's pretty much all he is. He doesn't get moved around enough to be considered that versatile; he almost always just guards the opposing small-forward. Yet people think he's clearly the best defender on team (the "captain of the perimeter defense" even), and they're not inclined to change that opinion no matter what actually goes on during games. I think it's unfair to him. People keep trying to make him out to be a star when he should just be allowed to be a role-player.

If he develops into an All-Star, great. But for now, he's nowhere near being part of the Big 4, nor is he Bruce Bowen.

These are all by design. Kawhi doesn't need to check opposing 4's when you've got TD-splitter-Diaw.

Yes, he's clearly the best permiter defender on the team who else do you think is better?Leonard and Green are the only two above average perimeter defender in the team. Tony has his moment, but he clearly has the offense to worry about more. He had to check Jefferson a couple of times and Milsap last year. His "versatility" really is just about the fact that he's got size and strength and can be used to defend the 4's if need be not that it's the best defensive option to use.

I doubt anyone thinks he's an all-star at this point of his career, but he certainly has the most potential in the team. I really don't want to go on about the fact that kid can score in so many ways, that's not to say his great at it, but his shown that he has got enough offensive skills and enough potential to become a star one day.

When you've been averaging the 15 a game the last 40 games or so alongside the fact that you're a good defender, and that guys like luol deng are making the all-star, i don't see any reason why a fan shouldn't be optimistic about his future.

Heck he is averaging 14-10 in a second series. If you really think he's potential is just as good as Green then you're just hating tbh.

Is he a role-player? Yes. If he played on a scrubby team would he be more than that? Yes.

The stretch he played without parker-Manu is the reason why people are so optimistic about this guy.

wtgspurs
05-12-2013, 01:22 PM
:wow

Kawhi Angry???? I wonder who's teaching him that one.

It's Tim, not Kawhi I believe...btw, does anyone have anymore pictures of Tim and Kawhi during the game?

Chinook
05-12-2013, 02:01 PM
These are all by design. Kawhi doesn't need to check opposing 4's when you've got TD-splitter-Diaw.

That's true, but it doesn't mean that he's capable of defending fours. Small-ball fours, definitely, but not real bigs.

Yes, he's clearly the best permiter defender on the team who else do you think is better?Leonard and Green are the only two above average perimeter defender in the team. Tony has his moment, but he clearly has the offense to worry about more. He had to check Jefferson a couple of times and Milsap last year. His "versatility" really is just about the fact that he's got size and strength and can be used to defend the 4's if need be not that it's the best defensive option to use.

No, he's not clearly anything. The Spurs' top defender is a rotating cast depending on the player who needs guarding. Leonard is not the top option against most players, or a plurality of players. It's hard to say the Spurs view him as the clear-cut top dog in that category. Think back to all the tough match-ups this season and think how many of them Leonard guarded. From my count, he only checked Joe Johnson, Kobe, Gay, Durant and Paul George. That's a great list of players to be able to guard, for sure. But Eric Gordan, Moe Williams, Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving, and other guards went to other players. In crunch time, he rarely got the assignment, either. He's not like Bowen who would guard the best perimeter player regardless of position. Leonard guards one type of player really well, but struggles against most other types. He's great in help defense, which is another great value.

I doubt anyone thinks he's an all-star at this point of his career, but he certainly has the most potential in the team. I really don't want to go on about the fact that kid can score in so many ways, that's not to say his great at it, but his shown that he has got enough offensive skills and enough potential to become a star one day.

When you've been averaging the 15 a game the last 40 games or so alongside the fact that you're a good defender, and that guys like luol deng are making the all-star, i don't see any reason why a fan shouldn't be optimistic about his future.

Heck he is averaging 14-10 in a second series. If you really think he's potential is just as good as Green then you're just hating tbh.

When you have people constantly saying Leonard needs to get forcefed at the expense of the Big Three or saying that Leonard is unguardable by any remaining playoff teams, you can see that some people honestly do believe Leonard is closer to a star now than a role-player. Those people aren't talking about potential.

Leonard has the best potential out of every young player on the roster or overseas. That's as true as the day is long. But we're not talking about that. We're talking about people acting like he's already there. He has tons of holes in his game, and people want those holes exposed more by forcing him the ball or demanding that he try to guard players he's not suited to guard. Leonard is a role-player because he has REAL limitations to his game. He has the potential to overcome those and be a solid upper-tier small-forward. But he's not there, and in my opinion, he won't ever be as good as people seem to think.

If your definition of a star is Luol Deng or Paul George (as he is right now), then I can see where you're coming from. But if you reserve the term for franchise-caliber players like I do, I think Leonard falls way short. He's a great piece to a championship puzzle, but a team with him as their best player is first-round fodder at best.

mute
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
GOAT since Jordan. Get the f... out of here with that Kobe and Lebron garbage. The team's go-to scorer IN ADDITION to being one of the greatest defenders of all time? Not to mention, 50+ wins per season and never missing the playoffs. Undisputed best player on the team for four titles and you could probably make the case that he's still the most valuable player on this team.

apalisoc_9
05-12-2013, 02:41 PM
No, he's not clearly anything. The Spurs' top defender is a rotating cast depending on the player who needs guarding. Leonard is not the top option against most players, or a plurality of players. It's hard to say the Spurs view him as the clear-cut top dog in that category. Think back to all the tough match-ups this season and think how many of them Leonard guarded. From my count, he only checked Joe Johnson, Kobe, Gay, Durant and Paul George. That's a great list of players to be able to guard, for sure. But Eric Gordan, Moe Williams, Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving, and other guards went to other players. In crunch time, he rarely got the assignment, either. He's not like Bowen who would guard the best perimeter player regardless of position. Leonard guards one type of player really well, but struggles against most other types. He's great in help defense, which is another great value.

The only three players that regularly rotate (with enough quality time) on opposing perimeter players is Tony-Kawhi-Green. It's not difficult to see that he is the better out of those three. Green Guards the smaller and faster 1-2's better but is piss poor on guarding 3's and longer 2's. Tony can Guard 1's pretty well if need be, but has to concentrate most of his energy offensively. Kawhi Is damn good at defending the 3 and longer 2's and isn't exactly a liability when guarding 1's ( see kawhi guarding curry in game 2). Now tell me who among these three are the better and versatile perimeter defender?

If your definition of a star is Luol Deng or Paul George (as he is right now), then I can see where you're coming from. But if you reserve the term for franchise-caliber players like I do, I think Leonard falls way short. He's a great piece to a championship puzzle, but a team with him as their best player is first-round fodder at best.

I like to differentiate Borderline star players-Star Players-Superstar.

When you have people constantly saying Leonard needs to get forcefed at the expense of the Big Three or saying that Leonard is unguardable by any remaining playoff teams, you can see that some people honestly do believe Leonard is closer to a star now than a role-player. Those people aren't talking about potential.

No one is advocating for kawhi to steal touches. It be disastrous if the spurs suddenly start giving him the green light with the big three is out three since the role players (Green, Neal, Splitter etc) are clearly not ready for a new "star" on the team as evidence with the offense being completely stagnat when kawhi creates for himself. What people Inlucing guys like TIMVP or HH and the rest are talking about, particularly for this series for instance, is recognizing match-ups.

When he's averaging 10 shots a game without having to call plays for him, it's only natural to think he should be averaging more than that if the spurs put on an effort to giving him the ball on the post if he has the smaller guard. Something only Ginobili recognizes for some reason. He has had a ton of match-up advatange, Ginobili is clearly the only guy who recognizes this on the floor. If pop advocates giving him the ball if there is a mis-match ( you don't need to call plays for him since tony and timmy are having a great year) which is naturally what most coaches would do, you'd be looking at a 16-8 guy. That's where the star "talk" comes from..the fact that he's a few touches away from having a luol deng like number.

therealtruth
05-12-2013, 02:43 PM
That's true, but it doesn't mean that he's capable of defending fours. Small-ball fours, definitely, but not real bigs.

Leonard did pretty well on Gasol in game 4 last round. He was too quick and long for Gasol to post him up.

Chinook
05-12-2013, 02:57 PM
The only three players that regularly rotate (with enough quality time) on opposing perimeter players is Tony-Kawhi-Green. It's not difficult to see that he is the better out of those three. Green Guards the smaller and faster 1-2's better but is piss poor on guarding 3's and longer 2's. Tony can Guard 1's pretty well if need be, but has to concentrate most of his energy offensively. Kawhi Is damn good at defending the 3 and longer 2's and isn't exactly a liability when guarding 1's ( see kawhi guarding curry in game 2). Now tell me who among these three are the better and versatile perimeter defender?

No one. That's the point. It's not right to say, "I know Leonard doesn't guard the hardest assignment most of the time, but he's clearly the best defender." It's ambiguous. That's not to say Leonard is clearly not the best defender, just that he's not automatically the best option to defend most perimeter players.

And don't forget Ginobili. He's defense is underrated.

I like to differentiate Borderline star players-Star Players-Superstar.

Nothing wrong with that, especially if you define what you mean by each category. I just have the one category, but there's no inherent right or wrong in that stance.

No one is advocating for kawhi to steal touches. It be disastrous if the spurs suddenly start giving him the green light with the big three is out three since the role players (Green, Neal, Splitter etc) are clearly not ready for a new "star" on the team as evidence with the offense being completely stagnat when kawhi creates for himself. What people Inlucing guys like TIMVP or HH and the rest are talking about, particularly for this series for instance, is recognizing match-ups.

When he's averaging 10 shots a game without having to call plays for him, it's only natural to think he should be averaging more than that if the spurs put on an effort to giving him the ball on the post if he has the smaller guard. Something only Ginobili recognizes for some reason. He has had a ton of match-up advatange, Ginobili is clearly the only guy who recognizes this on the floor. If pop advocates giving him the ball if there is a mis-match ( you don't need to call plays for him since tony and timmy are having a great year) which is naturally what most coaches would do, you'd be looking at a 16-8 guy. That's where the star "talk" comes from..the fact that he's a few touches away from having a luol deng like number.

I think we all agree that Leonard needs to be more assertive on offense. He doesn't get more opportunities because he doesn't fight hard enough to get open. Very truly, though, the Spurs should give him the ball when he has a small on him in the post. That should just be part of the offense. It would help everyone get better shots. But you do have posters claiming he should get a set number of shots a game, like he's Durant. The Spurs' offense just doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't.

Again, I don't want this to be construed as me bashing Leonard. I'm not. But for the life of me, I don't understand why people can't just let players be who they are. Everyone's always putting players down to prop up others. We should be able to honest about each of their strengths and weaknesses.

Chinook
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Leonard did pretty well on Gasol in game 4 last round. He was too quick and long for Gasol to post him up.

I mentioned this up-tread. He played well, but he had a lot of help. It was similar to one of the Portland games where Green had to check Aldridge. It worked for a bit, but it wasn't sustainable. Leonard also did a good job on David West, if I recall correctly.

apalisoc_9
05-12-2013, 03:55 PM
No one. That's the point. It's not right to say, "I know Leonard doesn't guard the hardest assignment most of the time, but he's clearly the best defender." It's ambiguous. That's not to say Leonard is clearly not the best defender, just that he's not automatically the best option to defend most perimeter players.

And don't forget Ginobili. He's defense is underrated.

Let's leave it to Kawhi Leonard being the most versatile perimeter defender then. About Ginobili, He's always been a smart defender, but he's been very inconsistent the last couple of seasons tbh. He's having a great half so far in game 4, but consistency matters and Ginobili hasn't had that for over a year.

I have to admit, It's fairly easy to post Kawhi is gonna be a star, Kawhi's gonna be this and that after a dominating performace on the defensive end and shade of star like performance in the offensive end which he did have late in the season when parker was out. I'd like to think most people or at least a good number of them who post those comments are just in the heat of the moment. I know I have posted somehwat similar stuff in game and a minute or two after games.

And in their defense, ( Not me) Ginobilis has had a terrible year. Only Natural to find a replacement.