PDA

View Full Version : About Parker

gilmor
05-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Something Parker said in the Post Game interview is really cool:

"For me, I've been in San Antonio for so long, I don't pay attention of top-five point guards. They always forget about me anyway. It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter to me anymore, seriously. I play for the City of San Antonio, for the Spurs, all our fans, Coach [Gregg Popovich], my teammates. That's what makes me go. When Coach Pop say, OK, you going to do something tonight, you're going to be aggressive, that's what make me going, is Coach Pop. He's always the one who is challenging me. Before this game, he definitely gave me a challenge."

How come noone caught on that?

hooperflash
05-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I caught it as well. Loved that response.

naico
05-11-2013, 08:37 AM

"For me, I've been in San Antonio for so long, I don't pay attention of top-five point guards. They always forget about me anyway. It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter to me anymore, seriously. I play for the City of San Antonio, for the Spurs, all our fans, Coach [Gregg Popovich], my teammates. That's what makes me go. When Coach Pop say, OK, you going to do something tonight, you're going to be aggressive, that's what make me going, is Coach Pop. He's always the one who is challenging me. Before this game, he definitely gave me a challenge."

How come noone caught on that?

If you're referring to the press conf after the game, that's not what he said. Didn't catch the top 5 thing either. If he said something like that again later in an interview, my apologies. Did like his answer to the question being asked.

100%duncan
05-11-2013, 08:48 AM
TP being TP per par. Fuck his haters.

EVAY
05-11-2013, 09:42 AM
If you're referring to the press conf after the game, that's not what he said. Didn't catch the top 5 thing either. If he said something like that again later in an interview, my apologies. Did like his answer to the question being asked.

Yes, I think he did. I saw that press conference and I thought that the quote was pretty accurate.

All the spurs players are well trained in how to respond to questions from reporters, and Tony has gotten more and more comfortable with the whole thing over the years. He is pretty loose when he is talking about the issues with reporters and he comes across as subtly humorous and knowledgeable about what the reporters are trying to accomplish and what the Spurs want their players to say.

julv
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Parker declared he got a big bruise on the calf thanks to a hit with bogut knee.
He says it's swollen, and he is uncertain it will be ok for game 4
source: http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/378200/san-antonio-parker-j-ai-pris-une-grosse-bequille/

boutons_deux
05-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Of all the Spurs, why is that Tony is so prone to running out of gas, whether his earlier minutes were energetic, aggressive, successful or not?

Psychological? (a subsconscious "I've done my part,that's all I've got")

or physical, some nutrition or metabolic problem?

We see tennis players nibbling during long matches to replenish spent calories, but I've not seen NBA players do it.

I don't detest synthetic, heavily marketed shit like Gatorade, but chocolate and especially fresh beet juice are proven endurance enhancers.

hyhy
05-11-2013, 12:55 PM
He said that they watched the tapes and GS was giving him the left, so he practised only the left side shot throughout the whole day. Thats why he was so hot in the start.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I am not sure why Tony gets annoyed by the media's lack of love for him? Tim Duncan is maybe a top 10 player of all time and the media spent most of his career covering why the Lakers didn't win as opposed to why the Spurs were winning, kissing Shaq and Kobe's asses at every turn wishing they could ignore Tim completely. The media just wants the sexy story, in the sexy market. Now Tony is not nor has he ever been the best PG in the league but he has been top 5 for most of his prime IMO. He has made top 5 PG Money, won 3 rings, he will probably make the HOF one day. All in all Tony had one hell of a career.

hater
05-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I dont think tony gets more annoyed than duncan. Just that he is more honest and was answering a direct question.

TheGoldStandard
05-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Tim will never let his feelings be known but I'm sure deep down or after he retires he'll take a parting shot. Parker is very good, he's a machine at times with the amount of weight he has to carry in some of these games. Tony gets gassed because he's always moving, he's coming off screens, stopping going, slow dribble, it takes its toll.

I loved the answer and it is a very Spurs answer but I also think that he's past all that hype media circus as who is the best because lets face it, he's accomplished more than most of those guys who are getting the awards have. He's won 3 rings, a Finals MVP, been an all star and is loved in the city of San Antonio.

Brunodf
05-11-2013, 06:04 PM
I am not sure why Tony gets annoyed by the media's lack of love for him? Tim Duncan is maybe a top 10 player of all time and the media spent most of his career covering why the Lakers didn't win as opposed to why the Spurs were winning, kissing Shaq and Kobe's asses at every turn wishing they could ignore Tim completely. The media just wants the sexy story, in the sexy market. Now Tony is not nor has he ever been the best PG in the league but he has been top 5 for most of his prime IMO. He has made top 5 PG Money, won 3 rings, he will probably make the HOF one day. All in all Tony had one hell of a career.
That's why, even Spurs fans say that Duncan MAYBE is a top 10.
He is underappreciated, he feels that he is away better than many overhyped players[and he is].

Russ
05-11-2013, 06:20 PM
"The City of San Antonio." You rarely hear that.

Especially from the NBA national media.

I think TP enjoys sticking it to those guys and sticking up for his adopted home town.

Me too. :flag:

DAF86
05-11-2013, 06:23 PM
He's lying, tbh, I think he does care. That's why he repeats it pretty often.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2013, 06:39 PM
He is underappreciated, he feels that he is away better than many overhyped players[and he is].

I don't underappreciate Tim at all. IMO he is top 10 but if some people want to say he is just outside the top 10 that is hardy an insult. Off the top of my head the top 10 includes the likes of, Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Oscar, Kareem, Bird, Magic. Tim is somewhere on the lower end of the top 10 or top 12. As far as Tony goes when you say underappreciated all that really means IMO is he wants the media to kiss his ass more and I guess he wants to do national commercials. When you think about point guards in history names like Magic and Isiah come up. Tony will never be seen in that company nor should he. Now I can't turn on the TV without seeing a POS Blake Griffin Kia commercial but will anyone really remember him as one of the great forwards of all time in 20 years? I think Tony has gotten the appropriate level of attention for his game and his accomplishments. If he was a Laker or a Knick he'd be more famous and make more money in endorsements but his place in history would not be changed at all.

Brunodf
05-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I don't underappreciate Tim at all. IMO he is top 10 but if some people want to say he is just outside the top 10 that is hardy an insult. Off the top of my head the top 10 includes the likes of, Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Oscar, Kareem, Bird, Magic. Tim is somewhere on the lower end of the top 10 or top 12. As far as Tony goes when you say underappreciated all that really means IMO is he wants the media to kiss his ass more and I guess he wants to do national commercials. When you think about point guards in history names like Magic and Isiah come up. Tony will never be seen in that company nor should he. Now I can't turn on the TV without seeing a POS Blake Griffin Kia commercial but will anyone really remember him as one of the great forwards of all time in 20 years? I think Tony has gotten the appropriate level of attention for his game and his accomplishments. If he was a Laker or a Knick he'd be more famous and make more money in endorsements but his place in history would not be changed at all.
Come on son, you are lying to yourself if u think that Tony(or any Spurs) got enough attention.
And u can easily argue that Duncan should be ranked in the top 5(i am not saying that he is).

05-11-2013, 07:02 PM
He's lying, tbh, I think he does care. That's why he repeats it pretty often.This.
I thought I was the only one who noticed how much he mentions it. Oh well. As long as it doesn't affect his game.

anakha
05-11-2013, 07:19 PM

Well, if he gets asked about it constantly, he's bound to talk about it a lot.

milkyway21
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM

How come none caught on that? thanks for posting this one ! :wakeup

hyhy
05-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Well, if he gets asked about it constantly, he's bound to talk about it a lot.

This. He doesnt talk about it out of the blue. The reporters asked him about it and what do you expect him to say? "Yes I am the best point guard and underrated?" Anyone would say he doesn't care about things like this. Even lebron or kd also say that when the reporters ask them about their field goal %, their 40point games etc. They say they werent counting.

superjames1992
05-12-2013, 12:25 AM
:toast

therealtruth
05-12-2013, 03:14 AM
If he had more games like game 3 he would be mentioned more often.

Man In Black
05-12-2013, 11:50 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/tim-duncan-we-dont-get-that-respect/

“Where do you think the three of you should be regarded among the great trios in NBA history?
TP: ‘Yeah, that’s a GREAT question, because I’m watching the game last night (Miami’s Big Three had played its preseason opener the night before) and it shows all the best Big Threes — Chicago, Boston, the Lakers. After that, there’s a hole and it goes straight to Miami. I don’t know why they never put us on that list. It’s not like it’s gonna bother me, because I have the rings and I’ll sleep well at night. But they just don’t want to put us up there.’
TD: ‘That’s how it always is. Even in the midst of us winning championships every other year, every year we started we’d be like the No. 5 team on the list to win it. That’s the way it is in San Antonio, for whatever reason. We don’t get that respect.’
TP: ‘I always say if we did what we did in New York, we’d be gods right now.’
TD: ‘It would be crazy.’
TP: ‘I think the fact that me and Manu are international players, I don’t think we get the same respect. Because we’re not from America, I think that’s why we’re not considered up there with the Bostons, or the Lakers or Chicago.’
TD: ‘It’s a conspiracy theory.’”

I agree with them. The media hadn't yet learned and will never learn how to properly market our gleaming team of internationals. The media made a better start with Ricky Rubio but the things they say about Ricky, Manu had already been doing since he first came to the Spurs.

Kidd K
05-12-2013, 12:00 PM

It actually is insulting when people say he isn't top 10 when he clearly is. There is no intelligent argument for him not being top 10. I also like how you listed a "this is just a few" but made sure to include almost everyone who was above him on the GOAT list, but forgot to mention that almost no one else you didn't mention is above him, but maybe that wasn't on purpose. :P I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Jordan
Russell
Kareem
Wilt
Magic
Shaq (maybe)
Duncan
Bird
Hakeem
Kobe
Oscar
etc

Duncan is at least #7 if not #6 already. If Duncan wins this year, easy #6 and arguable #4-5. I would only say Kareem, Russel, and Jordan are still without much agrument better than Duncan is Duncan remains playing as good as he is now and wins a title over LeBron's Heat. He would match Magic's ring total at 5 yet played great on both ends rather than just really great on one. At worst Duncan's #6 all time if he wins this year imo. And I completely use the full list of players, not just last 30 years bullshit like most people do.

SA210
05-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Kori Ellis
05-12-2013, 12:25 PM

He repeats it often because he gets asked about it often. He doesn't bring it up on his own :lol

That being said, I think Tony gets motivated by people saying guys like Deron Williams are better than him. So if that means he's annoyed that he's underrated by the media, then I guess that's good.

Fabbs
05-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by DAF86

This.
I thought I was the only one who noticed how much he mentions it. Oh well. As long as it doesn't affect his game.
126-125 with the ball and 30 game seconds left, we needed not only a good offensive shot but perhaps even more important, a shot that leaves us in good defensive transition position.
We cannot lose with a D stop. Okay, sitch calls for some strong point guard skills.
Instead, Parker dribbles it 14 times Kobme style then tries some twisting falling layup that's not even close. The topper? He falls way down and into the crowd after the shot.
Genius. Now it's 4 on 5 the other way and Golden gets their easy layup.

Parker has pulled this kind of hero ball too many times for any point guard, let alone a 3 Legit Rings veteran.

Ya ya ya i know his aggressiveness is what often times makes him an All Star. I'm saying many KEY moments the play calls for some intelligent POINT GUARD demonstration. He drops the ball too often on this front in end of game key situations.

boutons_deux
05-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Tim's HoF acceptance speech:

"$250M+ gross income, 10+ All-Star, Finals MVP, etc, etc, and now HoF.

For all you ankle-biting, impoverished sports "journalists" who said I was a boring player, GFY"

Spurs 4 The Win
05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
I want your opinion of how Tony reacts to the Manu gamewinner in this video. Im not sure if you all have seen this but I found it interesting Tony showed absolutely zero emotion to the shot while everyone else was (even Kawhi) showed emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCkL2lonmHw

JRHernandez88
05-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Everyone I have ever seen for the most part on the net puts Duncan top 10 and thats on lots of forums. I think that he does get a lot of recognition as one of the greats, from fans and players, it's just the media that has not given them the attention.

Parker answer though was great, SALUTE THAT MAN!

DatBoyGood
05-12-2013, 12:57 PM
I want your opinion of how Tony reacts to the Manu gamewinner in this video. Im not sure if you all have seen this but I found it interesting Tony showed absolutely zero emotion to the shot while everyone else was (even Kawhi) showed emotion.

:lol very weird. I think its because the game still wasn't over. If it was a buzzard beater then I think Tony would've showed emotion. Plus after the game he gave him a hug.

SA210
05-12-2013, 01:01 PM

I love Tony, but I'm not surprised, tbh

05-12-2013, 11:10 PM

wow, that does seem a bit odd.