PDA

View Full Version : F*** hubie brown, chris webber and the live sound meter!

Horse
05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
The golden state dick sucking is out of hand. webber was ridiculous as if he was still on the team. Then hubie brown agreeing with the offensive foul called on Manu when he was clearly slapped in the face among other bad calls he sided with the warriors on. Then that stupid meter alot of good all that noise did last night. Fuck golden state too!

Horry Hipcheck
05-11-2013, 01:21 PM
ESPN wants to sell GS' crowd as much as it wants to sell the team. The decibel meter was annoying, but it's just a gimmick and the Spurs by and large made it obsolete. Webber's commentary sucks, however, and I really don't enjoy Hubie Brown either. My beef with him is that he talks like a 12 year old explaining every play after it happened to a 6 year old. He has zero creativity and his analysis of plays is basic at best. At least be a little colorful. Where's Kevin Harlan for TNT Spurs games?

Chris
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Hubie doesn't have a bias - he's an ex-coach who has a history with the Spurs, but he calls em' like he see em' imo. He's a basketball genius tbh

rascal
05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
The Spur fans are too quiet to even talk about a decimal meter.

DarrinS
05-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I may be in the minority, but I actually like Hubie Brown.

lil'mo
05-11-2013, 01:38 PM
the decibel meter was hilarious because it ranged from 100-110

its like eh i'm not sure is that loud or not?

:lmao

Mugen
05-11-2013, 01:40 PM
:lol getting trolled by Hubie Brown

Kidd K
05-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Any team who goes against the Spurs will be dick sucked. That's how it's been pretty much every year for a decade ever since we bitch slapped the bandwagon Lakers team out of the playoffs in 2003. They dick sucked the Suns, the Mavs, the Hornets, the Grizzlies, the Thunder, everyone. They will dick suck the Thunder or Grizzlies next round, then the Heat in the Finals. That's just how it is and always will be until Duncan and Pop are gone.

Notice how they have tried to paint the Spurs as the "Yankees of the NBA" to drum up fake hate for them, calling them the "Evil Empire" and shit when everyone who knows baseball at all knows people hate the Yankees because of their salary and buying championships by overpaying MVPs and CY Young and All stars to go play for them every year, not because they keep winning with intelligently put together teams and hard work.

Blue Duck
05-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I remember in 2004 thespurs played the grizz, coached by Hubie B. In the first round. The spurs swept em, and afterwards, Hubie was the most awesomely humble, complimentary loser (not insult) and gracious in defeat. He said it was an "honor" to share the court with a team like the spurs, and allot of other stuff. I wish more guys in and around the nba carried themselves with that kind of old school dignity,

blkroadrunners
05-11-2013, 02:30 PM

I'm fond of his commentating as well. Annoying sometimes though.

Halberto
05-11-2013, 02:30 PM
I love when hubie brown is the commentator, he makes less "skip bayless-esque" statements and observes the X's and O's part of the game. Webber was getting under my skin I must admit. When jack nearly got that halftime buzzer beater off in time he claimed "oh that was good! He definitely got it off in time." Sounds like some underlying wishful thinking....

mando6599
05-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Yes, I believe you are.

Manu's charge was not one, as the defender was clearly inside the circle.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Hubie Brown is awesome. That guy unlike so many other ex coaches is perfect in the way he can articulate the game to the fans. And at 79 years old he is still sharp as a tack..

lefty
05-11-2013, 02:34 PM
The golden state dick sucking is out of hand. webber was ridiculous as if he was still on the team. Then hubie brown agreeing with the offensive foul called on Manu when he was clearly slapped in the face among other bad calls he sided with the warriors on. Then that stupid meter alot of good all that noise did last night. Fuck golden state too!
:cry

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-11-2013, 02:34 PM
I thought I was the only one who didn't like Hubie Brown, whoever said he talks like he's talking to a 6 year old is exactly right.

As for the decibels, 100-110 is all right, but not that good. Just to give an example, I was at the Oregon vs. USC game in 2007 when the Oregon crowd reached 127.2 decibels and that was with about 60,000 people; that's a recorded NCAA record. However, it was outside compared to inside. I guess the Spurs just kept the Golden State crowd out of it. The Sacramento King crowd back in the day was louder I believe.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Webber's loyalty to GS was puzzling. He played for them for like 5 minutes..

thOOdee
05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
and was it me, or was every other playoff commercial just clips and highlights of the warriors.i would think they would want to promote a great even series....seems like the bias is getting more and more prevalent. its like giving a huge middle finger to the spurs organization.

Texas_Ranger
05-11-2013, 02:45 PM
They straight up accused the Spurs of "flopping a couple times" also saying " Manu is a master at it."

isnt he??

TheGoldStandard
05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Golden State is the flavor of the month, they're getting there 15 minutes and everyone will ride the bandwagon on whoever the next hot team is passing over San Antonio. We're not flashy or glamorous, we just play simple fundamental basketball

Horry Hipcheck
05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Golden State is the flavor of the month, they're getting there 15 minutes and everyone will ride the bandwagon on whoever the next hot team is passing over San Antonio. We're not flashy or glamorous, we just play simple fundamental basketball

Accurate. Frankly, I'm not sure why more people aren't riding the Chicago train for all it's worth. Miami's going to win that series, but the Bulls have had a hugely improbable run behind really impressive play from Noah and Robinson. It's classic David v Goliath, and even with the Spurs still in the postseason I find myself pulling for Chicago every night they play (it helps that a lot of my friends here in LA are from Chicago). Curry should never go this long being overlooked again, but personally I'm enjoying Chicago's underdog story far more.

mercos
05-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Webber was annoying, as he was clearly favoring one side in a national telecast. I love Hubie's commentary though. Its nice to have an X's and O's guy calling the game every once in a while. He shows absolutely no bias in my opinion.

Hated that sound meter BS. Its hilarious how every team that gets into the playoffs for the first time in a while has the loudest crowd anyone has ever heard. Such short term memory on these media folks.

TheGoldStandard
05-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Accurate. Frankly, I'm not sure why more people aren't riding the Chicago train for all it's worth. Miami's going to win that series, but the Bulls have had a hugely improbable run behind really impressive play from Noah and Robinson. It's classic David v Goliath, and even with the Spurs still in the postseason I find myself pulling for Chicago every night they play (it helps that a lot of my friends here in LA are from Chicago). Curry should never go this long being overlooked again, but personally I'm enjoying Chicago's underdog story far more.

Everybody is slerping on Miami and they will continue to do so all through the playoffs

Russ
05-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Hubie is one of the best -- and an old ABA guy as well.

As far as Webber goes, he's underrated as an announcer. Not because he's that good but because his reputation is much worse than he deserves. He's not great, but he's far from the worst ex-NBA-player color man.

That award is conferred, on a perpetual basis, to the unassailably irritating, uninsightful, unfunny but thinking he is, Reggie Miller.

justinandimcool
05-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Hubie and Chris complimented the Spurs dozens of times. So sensitive :lol

please love my spurs :cry

please :cry :cry :cry

pjjrfan
05-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Hubie is a basketball genius and a purist which is why I don't understand his dislike for the Spurs I picked up on it during the finals in 2005 and he still gives the spurs token credit to keep his credibility but overall he will harp on the other teams great play he always points out what the other team has to do to beat the spurs but never what the spurs have to do to beat their opponents.

moisaenz
05-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Hubie explains plays like that because a lot of bandwagon fans are 6 year olds..

romsho
05-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Hubie doesn't dislike the Spurs. He likes well played basketball no matter who it is. Calls it like he sees it.

GrandeDavid
05-11-2013, 04:15 PM

I love Hubie Brown. He's thoroughly unbiased. And Chris Weber was hyping GS because they were kicking out team's ass into the ground for the majority of the first two games. I have no issues with announcers and heard even Weber say plenty of nice things about the Spurs. Hubie Brown is completely unbiased and it's foolish to state otherwise.

xellos88330
05-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I like Hubie Brown as a commentator. I know everyone is biased in some way shape or form, but it cannot be helped how likable GS is becoming. There were also a couple of instances where Hubie called out a few Golden State no calls. Like Thompson pushing Splitter for a rebound and a hold/moving screen by Bogut.

McGusto55
05-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I agree FUCK EM ALL.....

silverblackfan
05-11-2013, 04:38 PM
I like Hubie for his breaking down of the basketball plays. His voice is old, but familiar and really does not bother me that much. He seems to really just enjoy good basketball. It does seem like he was preferring GS last night, but other games it's the Spurs he favors. He is certainly better than some of the other alternatives to announce games, like Van Gundy or the Czar.

hooperflash
05-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Can someone get some info on Oracle ”Roaracle” Arena? The place looks tiny, when our dudes were shown going into the locker room it looked the bottom of a high school gym (bleachers-esque baseline seating)? Wouldn't be surprised if the place was made of aluminum, it's no wonder it can get so loud in that case, tbh.

Buddy Holly
05-11-2013, 04:51 PM
The Spur fans are too quiet to even talk about a decimal meter.

I can guarantee you the AT&T was higher than 107 during the game one run.

TheGoldStandard
05-11-2013, 05:39 PM
So long as Reggie Miller disappears from commentating everything is okay. I dislike everything Reggie has to say

HemisfairArena
05-11-2013, 05:51 PM
I would love to see Robert Horry as a commentator. 7 rings as a role player on the Rockets, Lakers, and Spurs. The guy has played along side of some of the best players the game has seen...Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan...Horry loved the pressure and was as nasty as they come when the playoffs started. Take away Barkley...Weber...Miller....even Mark Jackosn when he was a commentator...and give me a pairing of Robert Horry and Hubie Brown.

HemisfairArena
05-11-2013, 05:56 PM
And I know Horry is a commentator on a small deal but I'm talking on the big stage...I should have put that in my post. I would rather listen to him than Weber or Barkley any day.

100%duncan
05-11-2013, 06:10 PM
No problem with Hubie tbh. Chris Webber annoys me sometimes but most of the game he calls what he sees.

chapnis
05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Hubie was okay. Some people here are so biased toward the spurs they think unbiased commentary (many flops) is biased in the other direction.

Budkin
05-11-2013, 07:12 PM

You can't compare the two. Webber had Steph's Curry dribbling down his chin. The charge was debatable but Manu led with his knee. It's not always called but Hubie is one of the best.

Chinook
05-11-2013, 07:21 PM
I like Brown. He's like the opposite of Van Gundy. JVG seems like a commentator that used to coach, while Brown seems like a coach that has started commentating. You can see when he gets upset at poor play, whereas Van Gundy only talks about how certain things shouldn't be fouls and how important superstars are. I think Pop would be much more like Brown if he ever took to commentating. I don't respect Van Gundy's basketball opinion at all.

Kidd K
05-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Yes, I believe you are.

Yep, this x1000. Defending that call would be as awful as a baseball commentator defending an Umpire saying a guy who swung and missed just took a ball and should be awarded first base. He couldn't have possibly been more off. The guy is a biased piece of shit who's as blind as a dead bat.

Darius McCrary
05-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Them defending that Manu no charge angered me. Additionally, the other commentator said something along the lines of "That's two flops for Manu in 1 minute", that was ridiculous.

Chinook
05-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes, I believe you are.

Damn it, people need to understand the rules.

The circle only comes into play if the defender is set and the driver runs into him. If a player leads with the knee or forearm, then that's a charge no matter where the defender is. If the driver catches the ball below the free-throw line, then the circle doesn't apply.

In this case, Ginobili kneed his man in the chest on his way to the basket. That's a charge no matter what.

It was a good call, and an obvious one to make.

Proxy
05-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Webber is fine, but Hubie is the best.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Webber's loyalty to GS was puzzling. He played for them for like 5 minutes..

His entire rookie season, tbh.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't think Hubie Brown is biased, just bland and disinterested. He's basically collecting a check. He decides how a play went before he sees the replay, and when the replay clearly shows the defender standing with both feet in the circle, he says "Yeah, that's clearly a charge." For someone who's spent so much of his life in basketball, he doesn't bring anything to the broadcast. A guy throws a ball into the stands: "You can't do that". A guy hustles and makes a play that results in a dunk: "I like what I'm seeing." Someone runs into Manu and clearly extends his arm to shove him to the floor: "Manu's a master at flopping." Moron.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2013, 08:29 PM
His entire rookie season, tbh.

:rolleyes

cd021
05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry but this thread is just stupid. Your criticizing Hubie Brown for a color commentary in which he frequently praised Green, Parker, Duncan, & Leonard sometimes to a fault? He knows basketball more than everyone on ST combined. They are clearly the loudest stadium in the NBA they are trying to convey that to viewers. Its not a big deal.

urunobili
05-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Chris Webber a jinx and out of hand, I'm ok with Hubbie Brown. It's not his fault the refs didn't call several fouls on Manu and called a charge one of the most obvious calls in the game against him in what could have been a great and 1 for him. Walk it off...

Seventyniner
05-11-2013, 10:03 PM

Even with 2/3 of the arena empty?

RoyerReptiles
05-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Hubie was okay. Some people here are so biased toward the spurs they think unbiased commentary (many flops) is biased in the other direction.

This. The crop of newer sports fans nowadays definitely has a different mentality toward their respective teams than they did in the past. Why wouldn't general NBA fans and personalities be more excited about the Warriors? They're more of a fresh new trend. Curry is an exciting player. People love new trends and tend to fixate on them awhile before moving on to the next new trend. Why is this a surprise? The Spurs are the absolute opposite of a trend. They're the groundhog day of the NBA to the average fan. They win with excellent teamwork and chemistry around the same core. Rinse. Repeat.

As far as the noise in the arena of those newly successful teams.....Does anyone here remember the Hemisfair Arena? When David Robinson came on the scene the city of San Antonio was crazy for their Spurs. They were hungry to win, just like OKC fans a few years ago, the Kings fans from the early 2000's and now Warrior fans. If ANY city's team went on a 15 year run that saw them win 70% of their games every year....they'd get used to it as well. Back in the late 80's and early 90's the HemisFair Arena was insanely loud. The local news would always call it the loudest arena in the NBA. I remember seeing that decibel meter on the TV for some of the home games in San Antonio back then. It was usually the national channels that did it. It's exciting to see a city love their team that much. It's easy to get caught up in that energy, especially for someone like Chris Webber that used to play for Golden State.

Spurs7794
05-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I love how some people think that Hubie was biased because he agreed with (the correct) call on Manu on that charge. You can't lead with your knee like that! Even if the guy is in the circle, that's an offensive foul every time.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2013, 10:23 PM
:rolleyes

Oh, so you're stupid AND sarcastic. Nice.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I love how some people think that Hubie was biased because he agreed with (the correct) call on Manu on that charge. You can't lead with your knee like that! Even if the guy is in the circle, that's an offensive foul every time.

I don't think that's the charge they were referring to tbh.

littleavery1948
05-11-2013, 11:04 PM
This. The crop of newer sports fans nowadays definitely has a different mentality toward their respective teams than they did in the past. Why wouldn't general NBA fans and personalities be more excited about the Warriors? They're more of a fresh new trend. Curry is an exciting player. People love new trends and tend to fixate on them awhile before moving on to the next new trend. Why is this a surprise? The Spurs are the absolute opposite of a trend. They're the groundhog day of the NBA to the average fan. They win with excellent teamwork and chemistry around the same core. Rinse. Repeat.

As far as the noise in the arena of those newly successful teams.....Does anyone here remember the Hemisfair Arena? When David Robinson came on the scene the city of San Antonio was crazy for their Spurs. They were hungry to win, just like OKC fans a few years ago, the Kings fans from the early 2000's and now Warrior fans. If ANY city's team went on a 15 year run that saw them win 70% of their games every year....they'd get used to it as well. Back in the late 80's and early 90's the HemisFair Arena was insanely loud. The local news would always call it the loudest arena in the NBA. I remember seeing that decibel meter on the TV for some of the home games in San Antonio back then. It was usually the national channels that did it. It's exciting to see a city love their team that much. It's easy to get caught up in that energy, especially for someone like Chris Webber that used to play for Golden State.

I agree with this statement; everyone is all about what's new (the Warriors). Everyone is all about the sexy stars (Lebron, Kobe, etc); therefore, they love the Heat, Warriors, and even the Thunder, to a lesser extent. A couple of years ago, it was all about OKC; a few years before that, it was all about New Orleans; a few years before that, it was all about the Suns; a few years before that, it was all about the Kings and Mavs, I could keep going, but you get the gist of what I am writing. The NBA would love a Miami-GS series, and they would hate anything involving San Antonio, Memphis, Indiana, or to a lesser extent, Chicago. Many fans nowadays are about highlights, and flashy (see Miami, GS, OKC for examples), instead of defense and fundamentals. Tim Duncan may be the best player ever, but he will never be regarded as such, because he is not flashy. He can pass, shoot, play D, rebound, shoot the three if he wants (but he rarely does), he can block shots. He is the one of the best big men of all time; he would clown Garnett and Howard. But no one will give him his due, because it is all about the highlights. The Spurs are "boring", and therefore, do not get the "love" that they may deserve. You do know, that the Spurs are two plays away from a possible 5-peat.

Let me qualify, that the fans love the Lakers (Kobe, and its LA); they love the Knicks (when they are not awful); they loved the Rockets (Yao Ming); they loved the Cavs with Lebron. So, the fans are usually in love with the hot topic of the month, and the teams full of stars. Next will be the Minnesota Timberwolves, whom the Spurs will promptly boot from the playoffs if Duncan is still around. The Spurs have been the best organization in the last 15 seasons. 50 wins in every season since 2001. They only missed the playoffs in 2000 ( but you'll take that, right?).

Chinook
05-11-2013, 11:06 PM
I don't think that's the charge they were referring to tbh.

It actually is. People are talking about the play that occurred with 1:23 left in the second quarter. There, Ginobili knocked over a player who was in the restricted area by leading with his knee. Some mistakenly feel that play was a block due to positioning, but it was correctly called an offensive foul.

Brown did, however, make it seem like the defender had good position. That wasn't the case. Ginobili goes in normally, and he's shooting free throws.

Some also contrast that call with Neal's blocking foul with 5:31 left in the fourth quarter. That call was clearly a block, as Neal was moving and was in the restricted area. They wanted Brown to be unsure, which doesn't make sense. Both were good calls, and Brown was right to say they were.

jimbo
05-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Yes, I believe you are.

He kicked out when he was taking the shot, it was an offense foul.

You're not allowed to do anything you want offensively because your defender is in the hole. Like all those Blake Griffin pushing down on the defender dunks should be offensive fouls.

Sean Cagney
05-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Hubie doesn't have a bias - he's an ex-coach who has a history with the Spurs, but he calls em' like he see em' imo. He's a basketball genius tbh

I do like Hubie, he is a wealthy of knowledge IMO! I agree with you.

polandprzem
05-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Hubie is the best !

Do not F Hubie cause when you do it's like you F basketball

KenziE
05-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Chris Webber FUCK him

game 1 i think in the 2nd OT they showed KThompson on the screen he fouled out with 4mins left in the 4th Webber was saying that its never time too give and commit silly fouls even when you are down by 16pts with few minutes left, he was so into GSW that he should have said that its not a good thing to commit silly fouls even tho you are up 16 or so with a few minutes left in the game coz it might bite you in the end .....

with like 3:30 left in the game he was conceding the win to GSW already like even most fans did but he should never mentioned it until the game is over so thanks to him for being so biased he reverse jinxed the warriors wahahah

therealtruth
05-12-2013, 02:54 AM
Damn it, people need to understand the rules.

The circle only comes into play if the defender is set and the driver runs into him. If a player leads with the knee or forearm, then that's a charge no matter where the defender is. If the driver catches the ball below the free-throw line, then the circle doesn't apply.

In this case, Ginobili kneed his man in the chest on his way to the basket. That's a charge no matter what.

It was a good call, and an obvious one to make.

The thing that helps me to remember is if the defender takes the contact in the chest or digits on the jersey it's probably a charge. Usually if the contact is to the side it's a block. I think the free throw line rule is more obscure and most people don't realize it. I remember Tyson Chandler drew a charge like that on Lebron in '11 Finals. Only JVG recognized the rule but Mark Jackson didn't.

callo1
05-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Hubie=Weekend at Bernie's

I swear, the guy has been dead for years, all they do is prop him up in a chair and pull a string and he talks about the "painted area"

The guy is beyond annoying...I don't care how gracious he is/was.

Capt Bringdown
05-12-2013, 07:15 AM
This one's probably in Pop's collection:
http://www.hoopskills.com/images/mental/less%20talent.jpg

And, according to this guy, Hubie was one of the first to grok advanced stats:

Revisiting the Wisdom of Hubie Brown
The research that Wins Produced is based on is point differential, which is also used by both Dean Oliver and John Hollinger (at the team level) — see Calculating Wins Produced. And this method works remarkably well at explaining wins. We should note that Berri, Oliver and Hollinger have all become names in advanced statistics in the last decade and a half. Which is why Hubie Brown is remarkable. Amazingly Hubie Brown was able to get the stats behind what wins games. It’s important to note he was coaching in the 70s, when the modern box score had not been around for that long. -- more --> (http://wagesofwins.com/2013/01/11/revisiting-the-wisdom-of-hubie-brown/)

http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/bilde.jpg

Hubie's awesome. I'm glad he's still around.

Kamnik
05-12-2013, 07:19 AM
At the end of the day.... who gives a fuck what these 2 think?

Horse
05-12-2013, 07:46 AM
You can learn some stuff listening to hubie if you just starting watching basketball other than that annoying. He may not have an agenda but he jumped on the bandwagon for game 3. Once it looked like the Spurs would win he started going the ohter way. Or he could just be going senile. Manu was also slapped in the face on that charge. And how about the bogut block late in the 4th where he had his off hand clearly riding Timmys shoulder.

dbreiden83080
05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Oh, so you're stupid AND sarcastic. Nice.

Thank you so much for reminding me why I don't bother posting in this section very often.. I appreciate the reminder.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-12-2013, 01:06 PM

Agreed, that place was absolutely nuts in 4Q/OT/2OT

ffadicted
05-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Hubie is legit tbh