PDA

View Full Version : 401k

GoodOdor
05-11-2013, 10:59 PM
How many of you are seriously investing in this? Any good advice/strategy?

My company offers a 3% full match on your first 3% contribution, then a 50% match on the next 2%.

Right now I'm putting 5% to get the max free money. Should I be putting more down? maybe do Roth instead?

I'm sure my jigga DoK will how some words of wisdom in this subject.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-11-2013, 11:31 PM

My company offers a 3% full match on your first 3% contribution, then a 50% match on the next 2%.

Right now I'm putting 5% to get the max free money. Should I be putting more down? maybe do Roth instead?

:lol

I think Roth IRA is the way to go as long as you can dump money into it. Yeah you have to pay taxes on the money now as oppose to the traditional one but 50 years from now when you're taking money out and recognizing gains, taxes are gonna be a lot higher in this country as we'll still be paying off the b:lolby b:lol:lolmer's tab, so having all your cap gains income from the IRA exempt will be huge compared to simply getting the amount you contributed exempt.

There's a reason the ultra-rich use every tax holiday available to add to their Roth IRA when they can.

GoodOdor
05-12-2013, 12:10 AM
:lol

I think Roth IRA is the way to go as long as you can dump money into it. Yeah you have to pay taxes on the money now as oppose to the traditional one but 50 years from now when you're taking money out and recognizing gains, taxes are gonna be a lot higher in this country as we'll still be paying off the b:lolby b:lol:lolmer's tab, so having all your cap gains income from the IRA exempt will be huge compared to simply getting the amount you contributed exempt.

There's a reason the ultra-rich use every tax holiday available to add to their Roth IRA when they can.

That's what I figured, thanks scrah.

Wild Cobra
05-12-2013, 03:01 AM

Put in the full 15%.

If you are in the 25% marginal bracket for federal like I am, and pay state income taxes...

My state has a 9% marginal rate that I pay. That is 34% together. For every extra $100 put in my 401k, , I only see $66 less on my pay.

Bender
05-12-2013, 05:21 PM
I do 4%, company matches 4%. Mine's set up as a roth 401k.

exstatic
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
cnnsi's financial advisor, Walter Updegrave says that you should go up to the contribution max on your 401k, then max the Roth, then if you have more, switch back to the 401k.