PDA

View Full Version : NBA: The impact of a Grizzlies - Pacers Finals

Jacob1983
05-12-2013, 12:10 AM
What would the impact be? Would this set the NBA back a couple of years? How would douchebag casual NBA fans cope with this matchup? I am not saying it's going to happen but it could happen. I don't think Stern would let it happen but the Mavs beat the Heat in the 2011 Finals so anything is possible. It would be the first Finals matchup since 2007 that didn't have a West coast team or an East coast team. Would the ratings be on par with that 2007 Finals? How would ABC market a matchup like that to people that don't watch the NBA or only watch it casually? Would it be competitive? And the most important question of all: what would Stern's reaction to it be and how would he cope with that matchup?

DMC
05-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Who gives a fuck. If they get there, good for them. Fuck the NBA.

Jacob1983
05-12-2013, 12:19 AM
So I'm guessing you would be pissed if the Grizzlies beat the Spurs in the WCF? Would you be okay if they won the Finals since you could say your poor Spurs lost to the champs?

DejuanorwhatDude
05-12-2013, 12:21 AM
I would prefer Memphis to beat the Spurs over any other team. They play great ball.

Jacob1983
05-12-2013, 12:23 AM
And Lionel Hollins as their coach and he's always GIF worthy so that's a plus.

100%duncan
05-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Of course I'd be pissed if Memphis beat us. That's a fucking given tbh. :lol

Jacob1983
05-12-2013, 12:34 AM
True but you would probably rather lose to them than Acne and Methlahoma.

Reck
So I'm guessing you would be pissed if the Grizzlies beat the Spurs in the WCF? Would you be okay if they won the Finals since you could say your poor Spurs lost to the champs?

Anything past the second round is a bonus for the Spurs so I wouldn't be terribly mad.

Brunodf
What Stern thinks about Grizzlies vs Pacers Finals:
http://www.toonaripost.com/wp-content/themes/Yen/timthumb.php?src=http://www.toonaripost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Hornets-Landing-No1-Pick-is-Terrible-for-Stern-Image-and-He-Knows-It.jpg&w=580&zc=1

Jacob1983
05-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Isn't OKC a smaller market than San Antonio? San Antonio has more people than Dallas, lmao! San Antonio's population is like at least twice the size of OKC.

Clipper Nation
05-12-2013, 12:40 AM
So who's pumped for Heat vs. Spurs in the Finals? Bound to be a ratings bonanza, imho....

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 12:41 AM
So who's pumped for Heat vs. Spurs in the Finals? Bound to be a ratings bonanza, imho....
Stop jinxing. But the NBA would market that as "Lebron's revenge"

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Memphis gets as many calls as any team in the NBA, tbh:lol..they are given a pass to physically assault opposing players, tbh..

I'm sure Stern would hate having them in the Finals, but they don't have an NBA or ref bias against them..

DMC
05-12-2013, 12:56 AM

No. I would be happy for the Grizz if they made it to the Finals. It would also illustrate what we know already, that the 8th seed Grizz were not a true 8th seed. The Warriors that beat Dallas didn't repeat their playoff performances in subsequent years unlike the Grizz have. Other than the Heat which are almost a given, it's small market city right now and that's not going to happen that often. This year in the West teams have a chance to move further than they ever have if the Spurs don't magically pull their heads out of their asses and steal the West.

Kai
05-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Grizzlies would be fun. Pacers would make me commit Seppuku.

racm
05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
I like Mike Conley's game, even if I still have some misgivings about how he took Parker's lunch and stomped on it during 8, tbh.

That said, if this means Stern has a lethal aneurysm after the Pacers win the East, I'm all for it.

Trainwreck2100
05-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Pacers in the Finals means no Lebron so fuck yes. It also fucks over ABC so fuck more yes. If ESPN goes from Spurs/Grizz WCF to Spurs/Grizz/Pacers final then they would have lost a ton of money.

Raven
05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Anything past the second round is a bonus for the Spurs so I wouldn't be terribly mad.

meh, considering the injuries, i tend to think that anything lower than a loss in the finals is a shame and an underachivement.

Seventyniner
05-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Probably the most palatable Finals matchup that doesn't include the Spurs.

Also, I heard mentioned on TV that four of the league's bottom seven markets in terms of market size are still in the playoffs. Memphis, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Indiana. It could be 3 of the final 4 if the Spurs and Pacers advance.

Latarian Milton
05-12-2013, 08:05 PM
griz have porky guys in the paint which would cause the spurs to suffer alot imho. if i could choose i'd rather take the crippled OKC over grizzlies anyday. OKC without westchuck would be a much easier matchup for them spurs than memphis who have two DPOYs and a longtime DPOY candidate in the form of prince. a series vs. OKC will be a guaranteed W for them spurs, but a series vs. memphis will be a toss-up for the best scenario imho

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 09:25 PM
griz have porky guys in the paint which would cause the spurs to suffer alot imho. if i could choose i'd rather take the crippled OKC over grizzlies anyday. OKC without westchuck would be a much easier matchup for them spurs than memphis who have two DPOYs and a longtime DPOY candidate in the form of prince. a series vs. OKC will be a guaranteed W for them spurs, but a series vs. memphis will be a toss-up for the best scenario imho
You don't know Pop.

Jacob1983
05-12-2013, 09:32 PM
A Grizzlies - Pacers Finals would probably be the most surprising and unique Finals matchup since the Sonics and Bullets played each other twice in the 1970s. A lot of NBA casual fans would be like "when the fuck did the Grizzlies move to Memphis" or "who the fuck are the Grizzlies" or "where is Lebron".

Kulo
05-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Memphis gets as many calls as any team in the NBA, tbh:lol..they are given a pass to physically assault opposing players, tbh..

I'm sure Stern would hate having them in the Finals, but they don't have an NBA or ref bias against them..
tbh
tbh
tbh
tbh
tbh
tbh
tbhtbh
tbh
tbh
tbh
tbh
tbh