PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons still believes in the Warriors!

MarHill
05-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Just heard Bill Simmons on the NBA Countdown show cut-in from Sportscenter still making the case that the Warriors can win the series.

Game 3 was just a bad game for them Warriors in his opinion. Even Magic Johnson sided with the Spurs and made an astute comment that as series goes along....players get tired and Curry and Thompson can't explode for seven games.

I guess when you are the new shiny car everybody wants to ride in instead of that reliable 100,000 mile Honda Accord that still runs well and holds it age. LOL!!
:lol

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-12-2013, 01:40 PM
What a joke. The only way they have a remote chance is if the "best backcourt of all time" :lol can explode in the next 3 games.

Kidd K
05-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Bill Simmons is a moron. Rather than comprehend reality: That the Warriors played above themselves in Game 1 and 2, he sits there and says oh oh the Warriors are WAY better than they were in game 3! I mean look at the first two games!

Classic case of idiot looking for facts to suit his theory rather than coming up with a theory to suit the facts.

BatManu20
05-12-2013, 01:45 PM
He still picked them to WIN the series in the studio after game 3 and tMagic Johnson, Mike Wilbon, and Jalen Rose all laughed at him. But who cares really. He's entitled to his opinion. Let's prove him wrong.

z0sa
05-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I like Simmons but if true and not taken out of context..... :lol Simmons

MarHill
05-12-2013, 01:50 PM
BatManu20,

Of course he is entitled to his opinion. I'm not offended as a Spurs fan. I just found it funny and realize most analysts like the new and sexy team instead of the one that's been there and done that.

Juggity
05-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Simmons likes a compelling storyline. He's a sports journalist. I'm sure he wishes he could write as much as possible about GSW, and I'm sure he's tired of trying to find new angles to talk about the spurs after all these years.

InRareForm
05-12-2013, 01:59 PM
He's a degenerate gambler just tryin to make him feel at peace with his degenerate series bet.

HI-FI
05-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Simmons likes a compelling storyline. He's a sports journalist. I'm sure he wishes he could write as much as possible about GSW, and I'm sure he's tired of trying to find new angles to talk about the spurs after all these years.

this. all this talk about the Spurs being "boring" started with the media, and in retrospect, I think it was never about our play but more because we shun stupid drama.

Simmons is funny but also an annoying homer, plus his voice is horrible. I don't take him that seriously.

Budkin
05-12-2013, 02:01 PM
He's already been talking about how amazing the Warriors Heat Finals will be. I like Simmons but in this case he's delusional.

hooperflash
05-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Bill Simmons looks like Chancellor Palpatine on my HDTV.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8f/Emperor_RotJ.png/250px-Emperor_RotJ.png

sananspursfan21
05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
i really don't care. it would be a little offensive if they all thought GS would win the series, but he's all alone at that table. and i seriously doubt he really believes what he is saying. how boring would it be if they all agreed. i bet sometimes they are forced to stand up for a team they really don't believe in. they are in a sense, "actors" too

cd98
05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
He's a Celtic homer. He acted like they could've beat the Knicks this year. Glad they lost in first round.

Drew2354
05-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Didnt he also pick the Celtics to win?

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 02:20 PM
:lol I'm never going to understand why fans get offended by this type of shit, tbh..

Also, the majority of this forum jumped off the Spurs bandwagon after game 2, tbh..

mercos
05-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Its only a 2-1 series, and if Curry is not hurt to bad the Warriors can win this series. Its not that far fetched, though the Spurs are obvious favorites at this point.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Guys let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Many were jumping off bridges just two days ago. If we lose today, we pretty much face a must-win in game 5. Stay humble and classy Spurs fans.

Horse
05-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Fuck simmons he's a celtic fan still upset about the lottery.

Spur Bank
05-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Simmons has long been a huge Spurs supporter, so this has nothing to do with any Spurs hate. He's probably basing a lot of his opinion off his fellow Grantlander Zach Lowe's take on the new GSW: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/61766/the-new-stephen-curry-how-the-warriors-super-shooter-has-transformed-his-game-in-the-playoffs

Spurminator
05-12-2013, 03:07 PM
This is about television. You guys care too much about meaningless things.

mudyez
05-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Simmons has long been a huge Spurs supporter, so this has nothing to do with any Spurs hate. He's probably basing a lot of his opinion off his fellow Grantlander Zach Lowe's take on the new GSW: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/61766/the-new-stephen-curry-how-the-warriors-super-shooter-has-transformed-his-game-in-the-playoffs

THIS!

I love Simmons for giving our team a lot of respect. And right now who can blame anybody for supporting the Dubs? They are young. They are fun to watch. Their franchise had such a bad stretch, that youd like them to have a t least some success. Aside from Jack they seem to be likable. And if not for some luck they might have won the first two games (even though IMHO the refst cost us game4).

Heck if they beat us, even I will be pulling for them.

IF they beat us (and I don't think so), it will be easier than last year anyway. After winning 20in a row (10PO) last season and putting on one of the best offenses this league has ever seen, it was harder to not make the 2012 finals. In my book we would have been the favs over MIA and even though LeBron played some of the best ball ever, I still believe we at least had a 50/50 chance to get #5. This year it feels like: Wow, if we beat GS, its hard to imagine us beating MEM, not to mention MIA.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
There are a couple of ways of looking at this.

The glass-half-empty version says that the Warriors have a shooter's chance to steal a game or two, and the Spurs have already given the Warriors two games. Leave daylight for a young team, no matter how slim, and they might make you pay. Anything can happen in a game seven, and the Spurs just allowed it to get one step closer to that possibility by not taking care of their business.

The glass-half-full version says that the Spurs already saw both shooter's chance games, and managed to win one of them, and it'll take yet another heroic shooting performance by Golden State just to push the series to seven games.

AaronY
05-13-2013, 05:45 PM
:lol I'm never going to understand why fans get offended by this type of shit, tbh..

Also, the majority of this forum jumped off the Spurs bandwagon after game 2, tbh..
Tru fans recognize h8rs like this guy for what they are..complete brain dead morons..Spurs in 6..10 game win streak upcoming..anyone who doesn't agree is a retarded h8r..get on the bus now..bandwagon will accept no converts after the fact..:flag::lobt2:

DapDaGenius
05-13-2013, 05:49 PM
If I was a Warriors fan, I'd still believe in the Warriors too. All they need is for the Spurs to continue collapsing(like they have every game, expect Game 3. We did good in that game.) and for Curry to make a few 3s. Now I'm being pessimistic, I guess.

Still, we've been playing some shitty basketball at times.

I know we can win this series, we just can't play like crap.

eyeh8u
05-13-2013, 05:52 PM
the world's most successful hack, a career based on no insight, no inside information, and 90210 references, and a fan based so devout that they will try to tear you apart on an almost kobefan level.

tesseractive
05-13-2013, 06:50 PM
the world's most successful hack, a career based on no insight, no inside information, and 90210 references, and a fan based so devout that they will try to tear you apart on an almost kobefan level.

Hey, he found what turned out to be a really popular niche, and he found it before anyone else did. The blog from the fan perspective is ubiquitous now, but back when he started, nobody even knew what a blog was. And instead of churning out generic linkbait like "The Top 10 Most Improved Players" or posts that were basically a link to somebody else's article with a few lines of text, he was writing columns that had original angles like "The Ewing Theory," "The Vengeance Scale," or "The Awful GM Summit." He also consistently turned out columns that most people thought were funny.

As writers or commentators to hate go, he's not anywhere near the top of my list. Even when he's wrong or even being a total homer, he's almost never a completely lazy hack, like some of the guys out there.

unforeseen
05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Bill Simmons always look like a deer caught in headlights whenever he is on the panel on ABC. It really is tough watching that guy do any NBA analysis.

eyeh8u
05-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey, he found what turned out to be a really popular niche, and he found it before anyone else did. The blog from the fan perspective is ubiquitous now, but back when he started, nobody even knew what a blog was. And instead of churning out generic linkbait like "The Top 10 Most Improved Players" or posts that were basically a link to somebody else's article with a few lines of text, he was writing columns that had original angles like "The Ewing Theory," "The Vengeance Scale," or "The Awful GM Summit." He also consistently turned out columns that most people thought were funny.

As writers or commentators to hate go, he's not anywhere near the top of my list. Even when he's wrong or even being a total homer, he's almost never a completely lazy hack, like some of the guys out there.

You have valid points and all the is fine and good when you willingly read his article or listen to a podcast, but when he is forced upon me on TV, that's where I draw the line. I know I can change the channel, and I do, but its just too much of this guy. The way i heard his fans go on and on about grantland when it just started, "he was gathering the greatest minds in the world to change online sports entertainment, blah blah blah. I dont like it when people take small things and hype it up like its going to change the way we view the world.

He can have all the original angles he wants, he still believes in tried and true hack sportswriter go to mechanisms when he is on air.

Things like:

Body Language
Making assumptions about a player's psyche based on what he would think if in the position of the player.
Coaching Matters , Coaches are a big reason for success.
Making quick rash predictions, ie Nets sweeping the first round series after watching a half of basketball, not even a full game.
Then when things go wrong "the team lost their identity"
Alot of talk about "Passion" "Motivation" "Fire in their eyes" "Wanting it more"
Alot of Confirmation Bias, Selective Memory, and using the word "I think ______ will happen" when he really means "I want _______ to happen"

Also the blatant homerism compounds things. As for other sports personalities, I dont actively watch or read many, gave up on most of ESPN years ago, pretty much my only intake of "sports journalism" is The Basketball Jones podcast and just as a time waster PTI and ATH podcasts, so I really dont have a anything to compare to.

Richie
05-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Of course the warriors can still win the series. It'll be stupid to say otherwise.

Spurs should still be favourites, but Warriors still have a chance

Poolboy5623
05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm a devoted spurs fan, for almost 30 years...and I say right now it's 60/40 spurs...maybe 55/45 (it's that close)..

Obstructed_View
05-13-2013, 08:12 PM
There's reason for Golden State fans to be optimistic. The Warriors are stepping up and playing like ... well ...

phxspurfan
05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Warrios-Heat would be fun to watch IMHO IMO TBH

Amuseddaysleeper
05-14-2013, 01:38 AM
He just did podcast with Zach Lowe and both agreed the Warriors would take the series. Bill said the Warriors are the better team this series, and Lowe said the series should be 3-1 in favor of the Warriors.

Lowe and Simmons feel GSW has a great shot at stealing a game in San Antonio coming up.

chapnis
05-14-2013, 02:40 AM
He just did podcast with Zach Lowe and both agreed the Warriors would take the series. Bill said the Warriors are the better team this series, and Lowe said the series should be 3-1 in favor of the Warriors.

Lowe and Simmons feel GSW has a great shot at stealing a game in San Antonio coming up.

I agree with everything they said except for the prediction.

mudyez
05-14-2013, 03:12 AM

Just what i thought.

Bill is a Boston homer. Bill likes to hear himself speak. Bill ...

Wait! That IMHO opinion is everything I can blame him for. Not too bad I guess.

Slippy
05-14-2013, 04:17 AM
Spurs have conrolled both games on the road. They should of been up 3 to 1.

Horry Hipcheck
05-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Whatever. There'll be blood in the water after Game 5, and hopefully it's the Warriors'. Plenty of people have picked against the Spurs when they were favored in the past, and people will continue to do it in the future.

Capt Bringdown
05-14-2013, 04:52 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/huffing-paint/patrick-tribett-warriors.jpg

racm
05-14-2013, 05:47 AM
Simmons still salty the Celtics didn't get first overall. News flash: Stern likes San Antonio more than Boston, because why would the Spurs win the lottery when David Robinson got hurt and why would they get the refs favor in 2007?

Since 1997, boiled down:::

Spurs: 4

Celtics: 1

urunobili
05-14-2013, 09:45 AM

They were outplayed both games at home so the 2-2 is fair.

Horse
05-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Even a moron realizes we gave away game 4. So slice however you like 2-2 is what it is.

mudyez
05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
btw.: In one of his last podcasts, Simmons even mentioned game 5 of last years series vs. OKC beeing very dicey, saying that Brooks isn't a good coach, but was lucky they made the finals because of that game (and you don't fire a Finals coach).

Beaverfuzz
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Bill Simmons is so far out of his league being on tv. Stick to the Celts beat writing, you're not funny.

Budkin
05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
On his podcast Monday he picked the Warriors for the upset but said that you can never count out the Spurs, so he was reserved. I don't mind him all that much, his writing is pretty good. I'd probably be rooting for the Warriors if I weren't a Spurs fan just because they're a fresh face in the playoffs.

Mr. Body
05-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Agree. The Spurs were better in game 4 and just let the game slip away. Last night should have been clinching.

lmbebo
05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Spurs have controlled the pace of the game for the past 3 games. Games 4 and 5 were similar in some regards. Difference was that the spurs limited the Warriors offensive rebounds and the Spurs hit there shots they had missed in game 4.

capek
05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
FBS. Will this bitch be coming to the Riverwalk as the Spurs progress? People should spit in his tacos. :tu

Obstructed_View
05-15-2013, 05:21 PM
The Warriors didn't take full advantage of Duncan being sick and Splitter being hurt. They're toast.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-17-2013, 01:55 AM
He's now back tracking on being so harsh about the Spurs and their chances against Memphis after the game:

‏@BillSimmons

wish I had praised the Spurs more on TV tonight - got caught up in the gsw angles. SA's D + coaching adjustments were terrific last 4 games.

@BillSimmons

I think we're headed for Mia-Mem, but the thought of Duncan/Popp getting a ring 14 yrs after their 1st one together is increasingly amazing.

iminol
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Now he is coming to San Anton for the first time.
Keep your children safe. Thank you,

PBEEZY
05-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Why do you guys get so upset if an analyst/writer/whatever doesn't pick us to win? As long as the team believes none of it matters. There's really no need to "spit in his taco's" and he's hardly bias (sans when the Celtics are involved, where he is clearly openly bias) last year before the Thunder series, I'm pretty sure he picked us to win it all.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-17-2013, 01:52 PM
The Warriors can still win this series in 9 games!

Budkin
05-17-2013, 01:56 PM
The Warriors can still win this series in 9 games!

I think Curry's going to have a huge Game 7. The Warriors can steal back homecourt and close it out at home in 8! If Thompson gets hot as well... it's over.

Spurs9
05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
:lol Glorified tweeter
:lol Shit predictions consistantly
:lol trying to get on Spurs bandwagon now
:lol Thinks Magic's son is fabulous

hater
05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
he's terrible at his job

spurs1990
05-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Please listen to his podcast from today. Great material.

Talks about the matchup with Memphis.
Advocates for Duncan as best of his generation.
Recaps the past seasons Spurs should've won the title.

15:30 - 31:00 is the most interesting in regards to pro-Spurs takes.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9286628

Budkin
05-17-2013, 03:36 PM

Last night immediately after the game he jumped from the wreckage of Golden State onto the Memphis bandwagon.

spurs1990
05-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Last night immediately after the game he jumped from the wreckage of Golden State onto the Memphis bandwagon.

Good for him, because didn't Timvp do the same on his thread?

Take the good with the bad. He's pretty damn credible.

We should save our hostility for the Steve A Smith's of the punditry world.

SpursRock20
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM

After listening to this, there is no way you can say he is biased against the Spurs. He gives some major props out.

Budkin
05-17-2013, 04:37 PM
After listening to this, there is no way you can say he is biased against the Spurs. He gives some major props out.

He's picking Memphis but talks good stuff about SA. He's never been to SA and is talking about recommendations people have given him on where to eat. The dude he's talking to is picking the Spurs.

DDS4
05-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Speaking of Bill, he makes it up in his latest BS Report....

Budkin
05-17-2013, 04:52 PM

That's what we've been talking about for like the last several posts. :lol

LakerHater
05-19-2013, 11:35 PM
& he says Grizz in 6!

Kidd K
05-19-2013, 11:48 PM
& he says Grizz in 6!

I was just gonna bring this up too.

Bill Simmons, the only dipshit on the planet who thinks a team who gets blown out and cuckolded in game 1 will win at least 4 of the next 5 games. :lmao

spurs1990
05-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Look at this way. Mem wins, he looks like an oracle from Persepolis.

If Spurs pull it out, he'll be a chump for all-time.

Ok so not sure what my point is but uh, yeah.

Kidd K
05-20-2013, 12:02 AM

Jesus Christ, I just listened about 20% of the way into this, and that fuckin loser is a massive liar.

He literally makes every excuse in the book for the Warriors (insisting that they would've beaten the Spurs if like any one of like 10 things didn't happen), then sits there and claims the Spurs are 100% healthy. lmao?

Spurs are banged up as fuck, and got even more banged up against the Warriors, but he sweeps it under the rug and claims they're 100% healthy. As if Splitter didn't miss multiple games with his injury, Parker didn't have a calf and thigh injuries, Manu is like 70% at best, Duncan had the flu and his fingers are messed up, and Leonard has tendonitis in his knee.

But hey, they were "totally healthy" according to Simmons. :lmao What a fuckin asshole.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Duncan's fingers are messed up? Eh?

Legacy
05-20-2013, 12:18 AM
http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/bCTKegUf4YY/hqdefault.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=ITw-b-wU0uMgpM&tbnid=Kci-zSgDgwI9BM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbCT KegUf4YY&ei=BLKZUcT9GImw8ASJ8YGICg&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNHFgKDO3stwpi2p-KQ-xIGIRl15sQ&ust=1369113248766754)

Knoxxx
05-20-2013, 12:34 AM
This guy is one absolutely whiny no-nothing bitch to listen to.

Man In Black
05-20-2013, 12:50 AM
I sometimes think that the the 4Letter gives you a role and even if you don't believe what you are told to say, you're saying it because Cash is King.

Budkin
05-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Before the game he said he's been wrong the entire playoffs so he's going to continue that streak and pick the Grizzlies in 6.

Kidd K
05-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Duncan's fingers are messed up? Eh?

Yeah, did you see the pic in the game thread I think it was of Duncan giving one of the Warriors a hug after game 6? His right index finger was all purple and weird lookin. Like it was all bruised or something. Maybe it's just a skin discoloration, but I've never noticed it before.

Sean Cagney
05-20-2013, 01:16 AM
FUCK BILL SIMMONS! 03 STYLE SEAN saying that! I mean that.

Russ
05-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Yeah, did you see the pic in the game thread I think it was of Duncan giving one of the Warriors a hug after game 6? His right index finger was all purple and weird lookin. Like it was all bruised or something. Maybe it's just a skin discoloration, but I've never noticed it before.

Check out Hollins' finger some time. It basically sticks out the side of his hand at a 90 degree angle. :wow

Legacy
05-20-2013, 01:35 AM
This guy is one absolutely whiny no-nothing bitch to listen to.

Co-motherfuckin'-signed!

He is complete and utter garbage. How in the HELL did he even land this gig-- by sucking Magic off repeatedly!?

z0sa
05-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Check out Hollins' finger some time. It basically sticks out the side of his hand at a 90 degree angle. :wow

Looks like two fingers do that shit

SA210
05-20-2013, 01:47 AM

Kinda can't stand his favoring GS and Memphis takes, but damn this podcast was pretty awesome. Really great to hear him go to bat for Timmy like that over Kobe and also discuss the years the Spurs should have also been Champs. :tu

SA210
05-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Oh and :lol at Simmons talking about how Jalen hates on Manu behind the scenes.

Eat shit Jalen

DBMethos
05-20-2013, 06:46 AM

Eat shit Jalen

LOL Butthurt Ex-Sun

SpursIce
05-20-2013, 07:06 AM
I don't understand why people can't pick against the Spurs without receiving two minutes of hate here. Picking the Grizzlies in this series is entirely reasonable. Bill Simmons is a fine writer. You don't make it from a blogger to TV without some skills. The biggest idiot on the ESPN panel is Jalen Rose who doesn't think Manu is HOF worthy. That is indefensible.

Spur|n|Austin
05-20-2013, 07:06 AM

Tim's hand has had that birthmark (?) ever since I can remember. Looks like a bruise, though it's not.

letmk
05-20-2013, 07:27 AM
I don't understand why people can't pick against the Spurs without receiving two minutes of hate here. Picking the Grizzlies in this series is entirely reasonable. Bill Simmons is a fine writer. You don't make it from a blogger to TV without some skills. The biggest idiot on the ESPN panel is Jalen Rose who doesn't think Manu is HOF worthy. That is indefensible.

Us common fans can simply say "I think A/B team wins." But for them so-called experts, you have to give your reasonings. And your reasonings have to be reasonable. Like I disagree with Timvp's prediction of Grizzlies winning in 6, but his analysis makes sense and points out to many critical issues.

But some experts' statements like "The Spurs didn't improve much" just expose themselves as incompetent, even if they got the final prediction right, which is 50-50 anyways.

SpursIce
05-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Us common fans can simply say "I think A/B team wins." But for them so-called experts, you have to give your reasonings. And your reasonings have to be reasonable. Like I disagree with Timvp's prediction of Grizzlies winning in 6, but his analysis makes sense and points out to many critical issues.

But some experts' statements like "The Spurs didn't improve much" just expose themselves as incompetent, even if they got the final prediction right, which is 50-50 anyways.

I obviously agree. If the reasoning is stupid than they don't deserve much respect and there are a few pundits who are totally useless. I have however never felt that way about Bill Simmons. I am a bit bothered by his Celtics homerism but as somebody here said, he is at least very open about it. Again unlike some.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-20-2013, 07:51 AM
I was just gonna bring this up too.

Bill Simmons, the only dipshit on the planet who thinks a team who gets blown out and cuckolded in game 1 will win at least 4 of the next 5 games. :lmao

To be fair, anyone who said that the Thunder would beat the Spurs 4 times in a row in last year's WCF after OKC was trailing the series 0-2 would have been thought of as crazy.

Beaverfuzz
05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Bill Simmons doesn't know shit about anything but Beantown. Go back to the east coast you whiny piece of shit and let the real players talk hoops.

Kidd K
05-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Tim's hand has had that birthmark (?) ever since I can remember. Looks like a bruise, though it's not.

Really? lol, thanks man. . .I was worried he jammed his fingers or somethin. :(

To be fair, anyone who said that the Thunder would beat the Spurs 4 times in a row in last year's WCF after OKC was trailing the series 0-2 would have been thought of as crazy.

That was bullshit though, refs heavily helped them in multiple of those games. If someone would've phrased it that way, "Stern will have his refs help the Thunder win the next 4", I wouldn't have thought they were crazy since I've seen it before. I never doubt the power of NBA refs to effect a game's outcome. Only pro sport officials that ruin/determine the outcome of games with repeated bogus calls and non calls all one direction.

roycrikside
05-20-2013, 01:42 PM

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. The guy is a disingenuous fucking clown. He had a column last year about the 20 most fluke NBA champions (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7883334/the-footnote-title) and all four of the Spurs titles were in the top 20 (2, 10, 13, 14, actually).

He did the exact same thing all last season. He doesn't talk about the Spurs the whole reg season, completely dismisses them, gets on the bandwagon right around the middle of round 2 when it's impossible to ignore them any longer and makes it sound like he knew the whole time they'd be great, pretends to be a fan when it looks for sure they're going to the Finals (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7988382/the-spurs-zombies-retro-diary), and then the second they get knocked down, he writes about how glad somebody else is going to the finals because it's more fun now.

It's been very obvious that he doesn't watch the Spurs at all during the regular season. He didn't even have Kawhi Leonard on his Top-50 trade value column (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9203345/nba-trade-value-part-2) (he outed Jalen Rose, as a Spurs hater for influencing him). He said in his podcasts that Ginobili played terribly the whole playoffs (he was great against the Lakers) and especially in Game 6 against the Warriors (where he had 11 assists). He said Duncan wasn't doing anything in the playoffs (he's averaging 17.5 and 9.3).

He said the Warriors were the better team after Game 4 and that they should've been up 3-1 (not sure how they didn't steal Game 4 any differently than we stole Game 1) and that he still thought they'd win the series. He picked Memphis here because he "loves that match-up for them."

Please. It's so predictable. Once the Spurs get up 2-0 or 3-1, he'll change his tune, pretend like he knew they'd win all along, make some excuses for his shitty pick and immediately pick the Heat in 5.

roycrikside
05-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Bill Simmons doesn't know shit about anything but Beantown. Go back to the east coast you whiny piece of shit and let the real players talk hoops.

To be fair, as bad as Simmons is, he's a helluva lot more knowledgeable than the ex-players turned analysts at that network. Magic Johnson is the worst NBA analyst on TV. Jalen Rose is a notorious Spurs hater. Antonio Davis said on TV that the Spurs style is to play a slow-down halfcourt game and that the Grizzlies need to push the pace against them. Ex-players, with rare exceptions, are on TV because of name and face recognition but they're lazy as hell and refuse to do the homework it takes to actually be a good analyst. They just spout out generalities and whatever producers put in front of them on the teleprompter. Being a good player doesn't mean you can break down a game or coach it necessarily, and vice versa.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
That was bullshit though, refs heavily helped them in multiple of those games. If someone would've phrased it that way, "Stern will have his refs help the Thunder win the next 4", I wouldn't have thought they were crazy since I've seen it before. I never doubt the power of NBA refs to effect a game's outcome. Only pro sport officials that ruin/determine the outcome of games with repeated bogus calls and non calls all one direction.

My point is, after what happened in last year's WCF, it's not that far-fetched to picture Memphis going 4-1 or 4-2 over the remaining games in this WCF.

spurs1990
05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Roycrikside, with all that taken into account, perhaps as a Celtics fan he is sour about the '97 lottery.

I wouldn't put it past him since he wears that Boston green on the sleeves.

spurraider21
05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
why is this thread still being bumped

Budkin
05-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Wow check out the postgame from yesterday. He's obviously pissed and everyone else (especially Magic) is laughing at him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9292729

T Park
05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't think he was pissed at all. Jalen Rose is just the worst....

cd98
05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
I think he looked pissed. They are giving him a hard time because his predictions are not working out and because they think he is crazy for believing that Rudy Gay wouldn't come in handy against the Spurs.

TD 21
05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. The guy is a disingenuous fucking clown. He had a column last year about the 20 most fluke NBA champions (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7883334/the-footnote-title) and all four of the Spurs titles were in the top 20 (2, 10, 13, 14, actually).

He did the exact same thing all last season. He doesn't talk about the Spurs the whole reg season, completely dismisses them, gets on the bandwagon right around the middle of round 2 when it's impossible to ignore them any longer and makes it sound like he knew the whole time they'd be great, pretends to be a fan when it looks for sure they're going to the Finals (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7988382/the-spurs-zombies-retro-diary), and then the second they get knocked down, he writes about how glad somebody else is going to the finals because it's more fun now.

It's been very obvious that he doesn't watch the Spurs at all during the regular season. He didn't even have Kawhi Leonard on his Top-50 trade value column (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9203345/nba-trade-value-part-2) (he outed Jalen Rose, as a Spurs hater for influencing him). He said in his podcasts that Ginobili played terribly the whole playoffs (he was great against the Lakers) and especially in Game 6 against the Warriors (where he had 11 assists). He said Duncan wasn't doing anything in the playoffs (he's averaging 17.5 and 9.3).

He said the Warriors were the better team after Game 4 and that they should've been up 3-1 (not sure how they didn't steal Game 4 any differently than we stole Game 1) and that he still thought they'd win the series. He picked Memphis here because he "loves that match-up for them."

Please. It's so predictable. Once the Spurs get up 2-0 or 3-1, he'll change his tune, pretend like he knew they'd win all along, make some excuses for his shitty pick and immediately pick the Heat in 5.

Exactly.

He constantly flip flops and his default answer every time he thinks the Spurs are vulnerable and about to lose is, "I just think (insert opposition at the time) is a better team" . . . despite the fact that there's zero statistical evidence suggesting the Grizzlies and especially Warriors are even close to as good as the Spurs. And that was with the Spurs banged up all season and as usual, limiting minutes.

The national commentary in general surrounding this series has predictably been both lazy and flat out foolish (ABC's entire pregame was spent relentlessly slobbering over the Grizzlies . . . I get that they were trying to "introduce" the Grizzlies to the casual fan, but still, they made them sound as if they were the '96 Bulls). The lack of knowledge is appalling.

skulls138
05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I think he looked pissed. They are giving him a hard time because his predictions are not working out and because they think he is crazy for believing that Rudy Gay wouldn't come in handy against the Spurs.Hes the Dennis Miller of the NBA, AKA irrelevant.

Kidd K
05-20-2013, 07:32 PM
My point is, after what happened in last year's WCF, it's not that far-fetched to picture Memphis going 4-1 or 4-2 over the remaining games in this WCF.

The Grizzlies aren't as good as the Thunder last year, and unlike the Thunder last year, did not already have a history of getting ref help in key games. It's a different beast man. OKC was about as good as we were last year, Memphis isn't + no ref help.

Budkin
05-20-2013, 07:34 PM
I don't think he was pissed at all. Jalen Rose is just the worst....

His face is red and he's practically whining.

Budkin
05-20-2013, 07:36 PM

NO fucking way the Spurs let that happen again.

Knoxxx
05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
As bad as Simmons is on the air, I just can't stand the sound of Rose's voice, much less anything he says. He has to be the worst NBA TV studio guy of all time, or at least up there with Steven A (hole).

Bill (the PTI guy) is fine and Magic I don't mind because he was great and offers short concise takes from a former NBA champ (unlike Rose).

letmk
05-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Can't agree more. This is what I've been saying all along. With 4 championships, he has to acknowledge Tim and the Spurs to some extent. But he will use any opportunity to insinuate and downplay the achievements.

And I heard the "Warriors should be up 3-1" comment as well. If you want to use hypos or hindsight, at least you need to use it both ways. You can't just say that Warriors 'give away' game 1, but do not acknowledge that Spurs give away game 4.

Basically he is an 'intelligent' hater. In this sense, I like Hollinger much better. Granted, he relied on his PER-related data too much. But his thinking process is that his data doesn't 'like' a player/team, then he said that player/team is not that great. While BS starts with dislike/hate, then tries to find out reasons to justify the hate. He is quite knowledgeable and eloquent (at least his writing), so if you just read one article of his, it seems to make sense (unlike many incompetent writers).

But if you look at a series of his articles, you can see that he is that kind of judge who makes a verdict before the evidence presents itself. He just uses evidence to justify his foregone conclusion. While the unbiased judge should not have conclusions before hearing all the evidence.

ohmwrecker
05-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Still?!

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Eat shit Jalen

Nick Van Exel told him it was Manu throwing towels while he was doing his sideline report.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Bill Simmons: After Game 2, I feel both of these teams are equal

:lol :lol :lol :lol

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9300579

Johnny RIngo
05-22-2013, 01:11 AM
OKC was about as good as we were last year, Memphis isn't + no ref help.

I think last year's Spurs/Thunder would mop the floor with this Memphis team. I don't we're as good as we were last year as well. Good enough to beat this overrated Memphis team though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
I've been reading Bill Simmons since 2000, and I think he has made a mistake by going on television with those guys - he is not very good at half-time soundbite media. His takes are generally quite deep and involved and he doesn't have time to get them out when he has 5 seconds to say what he means. He'd actually be much better as a second colour commentator ("special comments guy") during the game - I've heard him do that and he does it quite well.

In complete contrast with his half-time performances, the podcasts that he does through Grantland are fantastic, and his writing on the big picture elements of the NBA is superb.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Can't agree more. This is what I've been saying all along. With 4 championships, he has to acknowledge Tim and the Spurs to some extent. But he will use any opportunity to insinuate and downplay the achievements.

And I heard the "Warriors should be up 3-1" comment as well. If you want to use hypos or hindsight, at least you need to use it both ways. You can't just say that Warriors 'give away' game 1, but do not acknowledge that Spurs give away game 4.

Basically he is an 'intelligent' hater. In this sense, I like Hollinger much better. Granted, he relied on his PER-related data too much. But his thinking process is that his data doesn't 'like' a player/team, then he said that player/team is not that great. While BS starts with dislike/hate, then tries to find out reasons to justify the hate. He is quite knowledgeable and eloquent (at least his writing), so if you just read one article of his, it seems to make sense (unlike many incompetent writers).

But if you look at a series of his articles, you can see that he is that kind of judge who makes a verdict before the evidence presents itself. He just uses evidence to justify his foregone conclusion. While the unbiased judge should not have conclusions before hearing all the evidence.

That's all nice, but Simmons doesn't hate the Spurs. He is often complimentary to our team on his podcasts and in his Grantland articles. I'm not sure why he is coming across as a hater on TV, but he's not.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-22-2013, 01:18 AM
I like Simmons a lot, but he's been constantly against the Spurs in these playoffs.

It's weird. He's usually big on the Spurs in years prior.

RD2191
05-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Simmons has been sucking some major spurs opponent cock this post season. Pretty much giving the Spurs no credit and basically saying the other team beat themselves.

letmk
05-22-2013, 01:26 AM
That's all nice, but Simmons doesn't hate the Spurs. He is often complimentary to our team on his podcasts and in his Grantland articles. I'm not sure why he is coming across as a hater on TV, but he's not.

I didn't mean he hates the Spurs like KG hates Lebron and the Heat. I mean he has his conclusion first (like the Spurs is old, Dubs or Grizzlies are better, etc.), then finds evidence to support it.

While Hollinger's way is to try to find the conclusion after the data and analysis. I'm not saying Hollinger always got it right than Simmons, or even his PER stuff is that "scientific" or useful. But at least Hollinger does not make up his mind beforehand.

spurs1990
05-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Antonio Davis said on TV that the Spurs style is to play a slow-down halfcourt game and that the Grizzlies need to push the pace against them.

If Davis actually vocalized this thought on live air he's officially 10 times dumber than I thought he was.

Budkin
05-22-2013, 01:58 AM
He was saying great things about Duncan after the game even though he was still sucking off Memphis.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Simmons is really trying to force the narrative that the Grizzlies figured something out, and even the rest of ESPN knows the Spurs just got flat in the fourth quarter. I have yet to see anyone give the vaunted Memphis defense credit for the Spurs scoring 9 in the 4th quarter, though that will probably be the spin by tomorrow.

BTW, someone tweet Tim Legler and tell him that Matt Bonner's the reason the Spurs gave up the lead.

therealtruth
05-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Jalen Rose sounded like an idiot. Winning a Pulitzer Prize for flopping? I hope he's just playing stupid.

hater
05-22-2013, 03:36 AM
he's an unknowledgeable bufoon. that's all there is.

he sucks and he's stupid

hater
05-22-2013, 03:38 AM
Jalen Rose sounded like an idiot. Winning a Pulitzer Prize for flopping? I hope he's just playing stupid.

I like that dumbshit Simmons finally was able to try to correct somebody. He immediate went to correct Jalen that you don't win pulitzers for acting

funny thing is Simmons is the one that needs correction everytime he opens his mouth :lol

mudyez
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Don't know how to properly embed twitter stuff (help?), but Bill has this to say:

"San Antonio fans are funny - if you don't pick their Spurs to win a series, they honestly believe this means you HATE the Spurs."

"As the chairman of the "Tim Duncan is the best player of his generation" committee, I'm ineligible for any "You hate the Spurs!" theories."

hater
05-22-2013, 03:29 PM
why is this thread still being bumped

:lol

Budkin
05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
he's an unknowledgeable bufoon. that's all there is.

he sucks and he's stupid

His game diaries are pretty hilarious but he doesn't belong on TV.

T Park
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Simmons is really trying to force the narrative that the Grizzlies figured something out, and even the rest of ESPN knows the Spurs just got flat in the fourth quarter. I have yet to see anyone give the vaunted Memphis defense credit for the Spurs scoring 9 in the 4th quarter, though that will probably be the spin by tomorrow.

BTW, someone tweet Tim Legler and tell him that Matt Bonner's the reason the Spurs gave up the lead.

Around the Horn forcing the narrative by Pablo S Torre and Bomani Jones. Torre "Ya know Memphis was down 2-0 to the Clippers, and these same Spurs were up 2-0 last year."

Bill Plaschke of all people called him out and finally said "Spurs are better than the Clippers and the Grizzlies arent close to the Thunder"

cd98
05-22-2013, 04:47 PM
How hard is it to beat the Clippers two in a row when Blake is injured and can barely walk? If Griffin were healthy, the Clippers probably win game 5 and it goes the distance. Heck, the Clippers won two years ago when healthy, probably would have done it this year as well.