PDA

View Full Version : How Do You See the Glass After Game 4?

timvp
05-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Half Full

-With Game 3 starting at 9:50 PM on Friday and Game 4 starting at 2:30 PM on Sunday, this was about as close to a back-to-back that we'll see in the playoffs. Thus, the Spurs running out of gas isn't surprising.

-If the Spurs shoot free throw at their normal percentage, they easily win the game.

-The Spurs were 2-for-17 on three-pointers outside of Ginobili. That shouldn't happen again.

-TD and TP were 13-for-39 and the Spurs could (should?) have won.

-The Spurs may have figured out how to slow Curry and Thompson.

-The defense was great outside of rebounding -- which is correctable.

-The offense should improve playing at home in Game 5.

-Facing adversity early in the playoffs will help mentally as the postseason unfolds.

Half Empty

-Curry and Thompson struggled and the Spurs still lost.

-Parker is hurting again and the Spurs don't have enough creators to score consistently if he's not 100%.

-If the Spurs are struggling to score this much against Golden State, will they even crack 70 against the Grizzlies?

-The Warriors have actually played better on the road. They could steal Game 5, especially with the Spurs feeling all the pressure.

-Bogut, like always, is keeping Duncan out of the paint -- and that's making him less consistent on offense.

-The Spurs wasted the one hot shooting night Ginobili will have this series.

-Leonard, Green and Splitter look shaky on the offensive end ... and that's difficult to deal with when they should be the main supporting players.

-In the big picture, the Spurs needed a five game series to stay fresh enough to have a realistic shot of doing anything in future rounds. A series win in six or seven games will be too taxing even if the Spurs are able to advance.

-If not for a miracle, the Spurs would be down 3-1 right now. If not for Parker's amazing first half in Game 3, it could have been a sweep.

How do you see it? I'm leaning toward Hall Full but I see some merit in the dark side . . . .

Stabula
05-12-2013, 05:55 PM
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/Magindam/titface_zps7a090174.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Magindam/media/titface_zps7a090174.jpg.html)

m33p0
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/awesomeists.png

Spurs21Fan4Ever
Half empty, because they play again in 2 days and the Spurs were horribly tired in the 4th quarter today. Spur will have no legs in the 4th quarter on Tuesday. Pop screwed up with the lineups way too much, and because the stars are tired that means even more Neal and Bonner. This was a huge game for the Spurs. I think Warriors take the series now.

Man In Black
05-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Spurs in 6. I'm all in.

justinandimcool
05-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Half full. Mark Jackson is in love with Barnes/Jack isos.

Draw Bogut away from the rim, defeat the Warriors.

polandprzem
05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
The loss is full empty IMO

noles1983
half full, yes the warriors stars didnt play well but its not like we did either. best of 3 with 2 of them at home.

jjktkk
Half full, just for the fact that the defense is better overall after game 1.

TE
Spurs will win game 5. They're the better team.

Kuestmaster
05-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Half full. We're not going to miss al those FT and 3s again. Plus I think our guys will be more pissed than sad right now, they let this one away and I think will come out swinging on tuesday.

We just need to play more PnR, punish them inside and make our fucking open shots and freebies.

But I don't get how every time we play against Jarret Jack, we make him look like Jordan. I hate that guy.

biziofromdowntown
05-12-2013, 05:58 PM
TBH, i see the glass well up in Spurs a*s. I lost all my confidence in our possibiliy to overcame.

timtonymanu
05-12-2013, 05:59 PM
I'll look at it half full to keep my composure. :lol

Brunodf
It's all on Pop, if he plays the rotation that won us 58 games we win.

GrandeDavid
Spurs may end up winning this series, but this boneheaded choker will haunt the Spurs as its another game of wear and tear. I think the series is a coin flip. Disgusting loss today.

rascal
05-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Spurs will win this in 6. GS got lucky today with the way the Spurs crumbled in OT.

BillMc
I'm of the Half Full variety, though the 40+ minutes for Duncan and the 37 for Manu will hurt on Tuesday.

All Spurs fans should root for OKC on Monday. That series, no matter who wins, needs to be extended like ours. I don't want a rested Memphis or Thunder...

We still have home court advantage, and in both games in Oakland we looked much better than the first two games. I'd give us the edge in the series, but it won't be easy.

freetiago
i have no faith in Popovich
his well chronicled love affairs become magnified in the playoffs and he fails to attack matchups and instead rolls with his pre-determined rotations
hes killed any confidence Splitter and Leonard is shook offensively
itll be tough for the Spurs to beat GS and Popovich

Spurs21Fan4Ever
It's all on Pop, if he plays the rotation that won us 58 games we win.

The biggest criticism of Pop throughout his career is that he panics too much and tries too hard with bad rotations.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Don't see how you can see it is anything other than half empty. This is probably the worst the Warriors could have played and yet the Spurs could not find a way to get it done. It is not a given that the Spurs will win both home games and it will be very tough to win another game in Golden State.

m33p0
05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
the great jarret fucking jack

Namundy
05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
We have the best coach in the league, period.

blkroadrunners
Half full

HarlemHeat37
Half full, best of 3 with homecourt..

It'll be interesting to see if refs continue to call Golden State, particularly Bogut, for moving screens and shit..the Warriors offense is limited when they aren't given a pass to cheat, tbh..

Richie
Half empty because of Pops decisions. Golden State outplayed us at small ball for two whole games. We go big and dominate Game 3 and Pop goes small again to throw this game away.

Just not sure I trust Pop after letting Neal get torched in the 4th. We'll see.

I still think the Spurs win in 6.

HemisfairArena
05-12-2013, 06:04 PM
half full

TD 21
I didn't read a damn word, but I'll tell you how I see it anyway . . .

I see a soft, spineless team that's on the verge of choking again (forget this series, which they'll probably still eke out in seven; I'm talking big picture). This is precisely why a mediocre, inexperienced upstart such as the Warriors had boundless confidence going into this series, because deep down, the rest of the league knows this team is a joke.

ace3g
I have no idea; the Spurs still haven't had a good team shooting display (1 player has had their moments in spurts each game) in this series; maybe that won't happen and Spurs will have to win 2 more ugly games.

EricB
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Spurs will win this in 6. GS got lucky today with the way the Spurs crumbled in OT.

I just had a stroke...

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
We have the best coach in the league, period.
Somebody should let the best coach in the league know that Neal sucks.

hater
05-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Spurs in 6 as I predicted long before this series started. Everything going according to plan.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Half full.

Yes, losing Game 4 really really sucks, but if after Game 2 you asked if I'd be happy with a 2-2 series heading into Game 5 I'd absolutely take it.

Sucks we could be closing this series out, but you know what, we didn't deserve Game 1, so I guess it all balances out.

mingus
05-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Spurs will win game 5 by blowout. At home, we will not miss all those fts and open shots. And I think we're over Curry and Thompson going for 30 point a half.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Half-empty, the Spurs are relying on the big 3 way too much(it could be everyone else is fading though). I still think we win the series.

Mugen
05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Pretty low on the worried meter tbh so Half Full. Spurs have dominated the last 2 games like the W's dominated the first 2 games.

The Spurs style is more sustainable over a series while the W's still have to rely on fluke shooting.

EricB
05-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Half empty.

just gave a team on the verge of folding life. A team that also plays better away from home.

now the old guys are exhausted and zero time between. Blown opportunity.

Robz4000
05-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Half full tbh, but this loss is still demoralizing as hell. If they come out with the necessary focus the Spurs should win in 7. Helps that the possible Game 7 gives the Spurs 3 days off, meaning they can hold a practice if need be. Golden State has surprisingly been a tough opponent.

RD2191
05-12-2013, 06:13 PM
half empty, duncan is already giving out and its game 4 of the 2nd round. their bigs in foul trouble, terrible shooting by the dubs, curry hurt, and still no win. the longer this series goes the more it favors gs.

RD2191
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Spurs will win game 5 by blowout. At home, we will not miss all those fts and open shots. And I think we're over Curry and Thompson going for 30 point a half.
see game 1 and 2

timtonymanu
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Tbh, I'm mostly worried about how gassed the Spurs look. Unfortunately, the next two games have only again a days rest between them.

InRareForm
05-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Regular year both of these teams don't look WCF/Finals good. But given the circumstances this year with injuries.... it doesn't matter.

Any of these 2 teams can win. With homecourt, I like the Spurs chances.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Honestly, I don't really care if Spurs advance to the finale.

Whether or not Spurs advance doesn't change the fact that they haven't played well for a long time and, that, outside of some miracle, they aren't championship material.

Other western conference teams are equally as bad, so Spurs could limp their way to the final before being swept by Miami but I'm not rooting especially for that because I barely enjoy seeing Spur playing that kind of crap basketball.

More globally, I don't remember playoffs that have bad as bad as this year. It's just Miami and a bunch of flawed and/or injured teams. That's just poor quality basketball played all over the place.

Chomag
05-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm worried about our Core. TP hurting, Manu and Timmy looking gassed and old. I just hope our old men can keep it up at this high level of play.

J.T.
05-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Both teams have lost games on the road that they totally should have won. Spurs bounced back well from their first loss. Hopefully they respond in a similar way. This time they'll be at home so they have that going for them.

Drew2354
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Half full, we didnt play that well and we had the game won till right at the end. No legs= No shots going down. They will have and extra evening to rest, they will be alright.

apalisoc_9
05-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Half full.

It's a 3 game series with home-court advantage and the spurs just coming out of a loss. I expect them to bounce back.

That said, this series pretty much destroyed the small hopes i had of them winning against Miami. Sure, I don't expect them to win against Miami, but Prior to sucking in the regular season i was at least confident this teams pushes Miami to six...A Miracle or two would have done it.

Now, it feels like they would be needing a miracle every game to even have a shot.

mingus
05-12-2013, 06:29 PM
see game 1 and 2

Our offense sucked for different reasons in 1 & 2. Today the we just missed shots. In the third quarter we had open looks, but missed them all. At one point we were 5/18 in that quarter, not including fts. Had just a few more of those gone in we would've gone up 14-18 points and its a whole different ball game. At home were not missing those. Not saying it can't happen, because it can, but I give us the benefit of the doubt by a large margin.

Cane
05-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Half full. Spurs made too many silly unforced turnovers and it's not all because of fatigue or the Warriors defense. Spurs played summer league ball during the playoffs and that just isn't going to cut it even with a lead

Spursmania
05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm really disappointed in the team. Spurs should have won this game. Once again, of all things, the offense failed miserably. They won't win too may games shooting in the 30's.
I still see a Champions comeback this series but they will be so tired against Memphis, I would not be surprised if they get swept or beaten 4-1.

Trainwreck2100
05-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Have Empty

Thompson shows up on the road

mexicanjunior
05-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Full empty... Horrendous defensive rebounding and FT shooting will continue. Pop has not learned his lesson in not playing Bonner and Neal at crucial times. His decision to cut Jackson will continue to haunt this team, he would have been a perfect defensive matchup for Harrison Barnes, who is killing this team when Curry and Thompson are struggling. Warriors take this series in 6.

Spursmania
05-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Miss Stephen Jackson.

BatManu20
05-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Empty. Spurs look old and tired. Tim and Manu shouldn't have to log this many minutes, in a loss no less. They're just too old to play that much, even with as great as Timmy still performs. Our role players struggles on the road is what really kills this team. Green, Kawhi, Splitter, Neal, Bonner, and Diaw all play shitty on the road in big games for some reason. They all miss their shots. Even with all the missed FT's, O-rebounds, and dumb mistakes we make down the stretch, we still could've EASILY won this game if any of those guys make their damn shots, most of which are open looks. But they all fail on the road for some reason. Thus, the Spurs fail, and will continue to do so. I think we'll win this series, but that's it.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Harrison Barnes was 9-26 from the field with 4 turnovers..how is he killing the Spurs?:lol..

And Klay Thompson goes off when he's wide open, it has nothing to do with the location of the games..if you watch game 2 again, about 11 of his 13 makes were open shots..

He hasn't done anything noteworthy since Leonard has been guarding him, tbh..

EricB
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Yes the 30% shooting Stephen Jackson was missed today when the offense stunk. Brilliant analysis.

dbreiden83080
05-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Full..

Spurs have played much much better D the last few games and could easily be up 3-1 heading home. They have a chance to succeed where they failed last year and win a big game 5 at home. I expect them to win a close one and close it out in 6 back in GS..

SpurSwag
05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Tbh completely half full. It isn't at all the feeling I had when we lost to Memphis or OKC the last couple years. I predicted we would lose to Memphis before the series because they were just too rugged for us and we were just too banged up overall. OKC had three superstars getting superstar calls and we just had no answer. But to me it is obvious we are the far superior team, we just ran out of gas tonight. I have no doubt we'll win this series unless Curry and Thompson shoot like they did in games 1 and 2 the rest of the way, but I think we'll be fine. Everyone lighten up, it's a best of 3 and we have HCA

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Spurs have this series if Pop will stop going small, it kills them everytime because they just stand around and ISO or dump it into Tim and don't rebound if he misses. We had GS in foul trouble with all there bigs in the 1st half and what do we do? We go away from attacking and penetrating to just taking stupid jump shots and ISO. Manu gets on a nice streak and what does Pop do, sits him on the bench. Neal is out there instead of Joseph who can actually play defense, Gary Neal did nothing to earn that spot over Cojo. Parker needs to man up, he played like he was scared to hurt his leg.

3/4's full but we need to put these punks to bed in the next 2 games. I'd love to win in GS just to see the crowd cry, Mark Jackson Cry and Curry cry.

rascal
05-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Spurs don't blow anyone out.

K-State Spur
05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
I feel like we've got the Warriors figured out - just need to make some open shots on Tuesday. It boils down the Spurs making more open looks than the Warriors hit difficult shots - of course GSW hit so many tough shots in G1 & G2 that they still pose a very legitimate threat. Hell down the stretch of this one they (Jack) were hitting shots with a hand in the face & relying on the Spurs to miss wide open looks or Duncan to fail to take advantage of a size mismatch.

dbreiden83080
05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
The Spurs the last 2 games have controlled the tempo almost 100% of the time. It is like they needed a few games to get used to playing GS and now they have them figured out. The D is there we just have to make the shots we usually make in game 5. And hit our damn FT's..

baseline bum
05-12-2013, 07:00 PM
:cry glass is shattered :cry

rascal
05-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Full..

Spurs have played much much better D the last few games and could easily be up 3-1 heading home. They have a chance to succeed where they failed last year and win a big game 5 at home. I expect them to win a close one and close it out in 6 back in GS..

They could just as easily be down 1-3 if Manu doesn't hit that lucky shot (yes it was lucky by the way he has been shooting).

mingus
05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Spurs don't blow anyone out.

Theyre due for one.

dbreiden83080
05-12-2013, 07:02 PM
They could just as easily be down 1-3 if Manu doesn't hit that lucky shot (yes it was lucky by the way he has been shooting).

I choose Half Full..

And I am sticking with it..

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Well he missed the same exact shot today that would have basically won it. He wasn't supposed to miss BOTH of them.

dbreiden83080
05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
-In the big picture, the Spurs needed a five game series to stay fresh enough to have a realistic shot of doing anything in future rounds. A series win in six or seven games will be too taxing even if the Spurs are able to advance.

If any fan felt the Spurs were too old and beat up to even get into a tough series I don't know why they bothered watching? How many teams ever cruise to an NBA final?

Agloco
Half Empty

-Curry and Thompson struggled and the Spurs still lost.

Thompson struggled, but Curry was 7-15 from the field and 5-10 from 3. Hardly struggling IMO. The Spurs should be ok though as long as one of them is off.

-Parker is hurting again and the Spurs don't have enough creators to score consistently if he's not 100%.

For all of the talk about Currys injury, it was Parker that played worse....on a supposedly much less significant injury. This is very concerning indeed.

-If the Spurs are struggling to score this much against Golden State, will they even crack 70 against the Grizzlies?

-The Warriors have actually played better on the road. They could steal Game 5, especially with the Spurs feeling all the pressure.

Agree x2, especially with Parkers status in doubt.

-Bogut, like always, is keeping Duncan out of the paint -- and that's making him less consistent on offense.

Timmys been quite consistent (19,23,23 and 19) with the scoring. What hasn't been consistent is how he's doing it. That said, it was disappointing to see him forcing difficult angle shots late in the fourth. I'm really torn as to whether or not to try getting Bogut into foul trouble early on. It looked for all the world thew Timmy was going to have an open run of the paint when Bogut picked up number three in the first half....but they went away from him.

-The Spurs wasted the one hot shooting night Ginobili will have this series.

He was 8-18. Is that what it's come to for Manu being "hot"? Considering his performances of late, I'm inclined to jump on board with that assessment though. That's very worrisome going forward though.

-Leonard, Green and Splitter look shaky on the offensive end ... and that's difficult to deal with when they should be the main supporting players.

Leonard especially. I've lost count of the open threes he's missed. Going into the final three games, if he and Green can't hit 3's consistently at a 37-40% clip this series will most likely not end well.

The first two games showed us what "rest" does for this team. And the shooting still hasn't come back from that hiatus tbh. I don't think that short series benefit this team very much.

-If not for a miracle, the Spurs would be down 3-1 right now. If not for Parker's amazing first half in Game 3, it could have been a sweep.

It took quite an improbable stretch of shooting accuracy from Curry in game one to make that happen as well. Likewise from Thompson in game two. These things cancel IMO.

How do you see it? I'm leaning toward Hall Full but I see some merit in the dark side . . . .

For this series: It's half full. I think they will advance despite they way they are playing. It will probably take 7, but they will survive.

For the playoffs: It's bone dry. I don't see much success beyond this round against either OKC or MEM, especially if they continue this crappy shooting streak and Parker is hobbled.

rascal
Both teams have lost games on the road that they totally should have won. Spurs bounced back well from their first loss. Hopefully they respond in a similar way. This time they'll be at home so they have that going for them.

Home/ away doesn't seem to matter in this series. GS played better in San Antonio and San Antonio played better in GS.

Darius Bieber
Glass is completely empty. If Curry and Thompson are playing at their normal level on Tuesday, it's game over.

DPG21920
If you hold a team known more for scoring than defense to 84 points at home in regulation, you should win. Period.

DapDaGenius
05-12-2013, 07:07 PM
We'll win the next game, we will not shoot this bad again from the FT line. If we come out full blaze from the 1st to the 4th, we have it.

DPG21920
05-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Honestly, I don't really care if Spurs advance to the finale.

Whether or not Spurs advance doesn't change the fact that they haven't played well for a long time and, that, outside of some miracle, they aren't championship material.

Other western conference teams are equally as bad, so Spurs could limp their way to the final before being swept by Miami but I'm not rooting especially for that because I barely enjoy seeing Spur playing that kind of crap basketball.

More globally, I don't remember playoffs that have bad as bad as this year. It's just Miami and a bunch of flawed and/or injured teams. That's just poor quality basketball played all over the place.

Partially agree. Agree the Spurs have been playing pretty poorly for a while now, but how can you not care if they advance? To me, you still have to find joy in watching this team play. I know it's not easy, it's only recently Spurs fans have been used to really easy playoffs then quick burn outs. Before, even in title years, it was a lot of memorable series with up's and downs and doubts.

But lately it's either a sweep or the Spurs getting burnt out. This, while tough at times and not what it used to be from a talent perspective, is still fun because it's a struggle.

K-State Spur
05-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Glass is completely empty. If Curry and Thompson are playing at their normal level on Tuesday, it's game over.

Curry still shot above his season % today.

And Thompson's game 2 was more an abberration than 3 & 4. EVERY shot (save 1 or 2) he took was contested. He's not going to make a high percentage of those in most games.

TD 21
05-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Partially agree. Agree the Spurs have been playing pretty poorly for a while now, but how can you not care if they advance? To me, you still have to find joy in watching this team play. I know it's not easy, it's only recently Spurs fans have been used to really easy playoffs then quick burn outs. Before, even in title years, it was a lot of memorable series with up's and downs and doubts.

But lately it's either a sweep or the Spurs getting burnt out. This, while tough at times and not what it used to be from a talent perspective, is still fun because it's a struggle.

This isn't fun because it shouldn't be nearly this big a struggle against a team this mediocre. If this were a one off, maybe you don't read too much into it, but they've now done this three of the last four playoffs.

The Celtics and Lakers, the other two veteran, savvy, former champions, I don't ever remember doing this in series they were heavily favored in. In fact, the only series I can think of where one almost did, was the Hawks taking the Celtics to 7 in '08. But in fairness, it was the big three's first playoff series together. The Spurs have no such excuse, yet here they are again, hanging on for dear life against a mediocre team, proving all those who constantly insinuate that they're vulnerable, soft and just not that good, right.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
As I've stated before, half empty. You can say the Spurs have homecourt advantage, but the home teams this series are 2-2. What the Warriors have is the advantage of youth and energy, and that's far bigger than homecourt advantage. If Ginobili and Duncan got that tired at the end of game 4, they're going to get way more tired at the end of game 5. I really think Warriors will win this series after how badly Pop screwed up today. Not only did Pop lose the game today, but he also wore out Duncan.

boutons_deux
05-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Tbh, I'm mostly worried about how gassed the Spurs look. Unfortunately, the next two games have only again a days rest between them.

including SA-Oakland trip

Arcadian
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
For this series, half full. The Warriors aren't really that good...they got lucky that the Spurs were so flat tonight. Granted, they can win this series, but it would take an epic collapse from the Spurs.

Moving forward, it's more half empty. The team is too inconsistent to be champions or even conference champions. I'm not counting them out, though. There's still time to get better.

said7
05-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Got every single shot we wanted. Just couldn't make them.
Hope Curry is a slow healer.

Sean Cagney
05-12-2013, 07:21 PM
As I've stated before, half empty. You can say the Spurs have homecourt advantage, but the home teams this series are 2-2. What the Warriors have is the advantage of youth and energy, and that's far bigger than homecourt advantage. If Ginobili and Duncan got that tired at the end of game 4, they're going to get way more tired at the end of game 5. I really think Warriors will win this series after how badly Pop screwed up today. Not only did Pop lose the game today, but he also wore out Duncan.

I fear this......

K-State Spur
05-12-2013, 07:23 PM
What the Warriors have is the advantage of youth and energy, and that's far bigger than homecourt advantage.

Because young teams do GREAT playoffs?

To some extent, we've been a bit F'ed by the schedule makers. No extra day offs between any games 1-6? No other series is in that situation. And I can't recall any in recent past that went that way.

dbreiden83080
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM

If some of the Spurs role players step up in game 5 and Kawhi gets his act together they won't need Duncan to be so crucial down the stretch. And I have faith that Timmy will suck it up and play well late in game 5 if he has too. He is a champion for a reason.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-12-2013, 07:25 PM
This isn't fun because it shouldn't be nearly this big a struggle against a team this mediocre. If this were a one off, maybe you don't read too much into it, but they've now done this three of the last four playoffs.

The Celtics and Lakers, the other two veteran, savvy, former champions, I don't ever remember doing this in series they were heavily favored in. In fact, the only series I can think of where one almost did, was the Hawks taking the Celtics to 7 in '08. But in fairness, it was the big three's first playoff series together. The Spurs have no such excuse, yet here they are again, hanging on for dear life against a mediocre team, proving all those who constantly insinuate that they're vulnerable, soft and just not that good, right.

Lakers did against the Rockets in '09, which went 7 games.

But yeah, this series is anything but fun.

Would suck if blowing Game 4 costs the Spurs the series.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
If some of the Spurs role players step up in game 5 and Kawhi gets his act together they won't need Duncan to be so crucial down the stretch. And I have faith that Timmy will suck it up and play well late in game 5 if he has too. He is a champion for a reason.

That would be nice, but the role players haven't stepped up that much on the offensive end so far. If there is no small ball, then I think the Spurs can get much more easier shots, and if they start to make some easier shots, then they'll gain confidence in their outside shots. Also, Pop really needs to stop panicking. If young players see their coach panic, they're going to panic.

ace3g
05-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Mark Travis @Mark_Travis
(http://twitter.com/Mark_Travis)@danmccarneysaen (http://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Since 1985-86, the only other time they shot this bad was in a 1997 blowout loss to the SuperSonics. 34/21/50 in that game.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Partially agree. Agree the Spurs have been playing pretty poorly for a while now, but how can you not care if they advance? To me, you still have to find joy in watching this team play. I know it's not easy, it's only recently Spurs fans have been used to really easy playoffs then quick burn outs.

Even if they weren't playing pretty, I've damn enjoyed watching Spurs in the early-mid 2000's. It' wasn't a flashy basketball but it was a very cohesive team, with a great identity and well driven by Pop.

Right now, I'm taking little pleasure watching them play as a team. Spurs are just playing a very low quality basketball and are surviving against mediocre teams because they have some high level players. As a basketball fan, it's not what I like to see.

Budkin
05-12-2013, 07:35 PM
We got the split, that's all that matters. They aren't winning in San Antonio again. Period.

TD 21
05-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Lakers did against the Rockets in '09, which went 7 games.

But yeah, this series is anything but fun.

Would suck if blowing Game 4 costs the Spurs the series.

Yeah, somehow that slipped my mind. Anyway, in both instances, they still won those series and not only that, but they went on to win the championship. They didn't use it as an excuse to flame out in the following round, like the Spurs will inevitably do, if they're able to get that far.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Klay Thompson's "normal level" is a 13 PER player that scores inefficiently when he doesn't have open 3s:lol..

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Curry still shot above his season % today.

And Thompson's game 2 was more an abberration than 3 & 4. EVERY shot (save 1 or 2) he took was contested. He's not going to make a high percentage of those in most games.

If you're referring to game 2, you're completely wrong, tbh..

11 of Thompson's 13 makes in game 2 were poorly contested/wide open..

He doesn't score efficiently if he isn't open..the Spurs have shut him down since Leonard began covering him..

Poolboy5623
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Whoever wins game 5, will take the series imo...will be interesting to see who plays now, with the added pressure. I just hope the warriors don't shoot like they did in games 1 & 2.. or they will be in trouble. Part of me wants to think we have klay and steph somewhat figured out, but they're still both very capable, even with a hand in the face..oh well, life goes on.

AaronY
05-12-2013, 07:55 PM
:cry glass is shattered :cry
Completely empty..with a quarter sized hole in the bottom of it..

jjktkk
05-12-2013, 07:55 PM
The one troubling aspect to me is Leonard lack of offense. I was hoping these playoffs would be a coming out party for Loanard, as far as Leonard being a reliable option on the offensive end.

DPG21920
05-12-2013, 07:57 PM
This series has been a great lesson for Spurs fans in a lot of ways. Spur fan claiming sweep, over confident, making fun of the warriors for melting down at end of games...Maybe this will challenge people to stop, pause and objectively look at things before just jumping to harsh conclusions.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-12-2013, 07:57 PM

He doesn't score efficiently if he isn't open..the Spurs have shut him down since Leonard began covering him..

You think Spurs in 6?

HI-FI
05-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Even if they weren't playing pretty, I've damn enjoyed watching Spurs in the early-mid 2000's. It' wasn't a flashy basketball but it was a very cohesive team, with a great identity and well driven by Pop.

Right now, I'm taking little pleasure watching them play as a team. Spurs are just playing a very low quality basketball and are surviving against mediocre teams because they have some high level players. As a basketball fan, it's not what I like to see.
so what changed? did the core become too old, not as reliable (especially Manu) or did Pop start getting loopy (hopefully not from the great wine), or a combination of the two?

I'm thinking since the core is older, he relies too much on scrubs and it bites us in the ass everytime.

justinandimcool
05-12-2013, 08:06 PM
The problem with classyball and the way this roster is structured is that if everything is all even, the Warriors are better than us. Faster, better shooters, better rebounders, better defenders.

The only thing we have on them is chemistry and execution. I see it half full because I'm 100% sure it will outlast them on that alone. But if we have to play monkeyball and heroball we're toast.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
^^^We can't repeatedly go down to Duncan any more on every possession.

HI-FI
05-12-2013, 08:08 PM
also, after reading through the various posts, i actually feel half full about this series. I think we have what it takes to stifle them, and I think at home our role players will shoot much better.

but if we win this, i make no predictions for next series. that will show if our TOSBs still have more to prove or if we've hit our ceiling.

xellos88330
05-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Spurs need to get on that glass. I am actually happy to see the Spurs still have a shot while their free throw, mid-range jumpers, 3pt shooting and rebounding are miserable. If the Spurs shore up one of those it is series over GS.

Horse
05-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Half full I think this will finally make them give their full effort for 48 min. Pop has figured out how to defend them, I mean how the fuck do you hold them to 84 in reg and lose? Crazy shit. Anyway We need another early lead, let the 2nd unit play more in the first half so Tony and Timmy are fresh in the 4th. They had no business losing this game and they know it. You could say if we could hit a shot in the 2nd half of game 2 and a free throw in this game we could've swept.

RD2191
05-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Like Uncle drew said "this game will always be about buckets". At the end of the day they have the better shooters by a long shot. They can go to Curry, Thompson, or Jack at the end of a game. We can go to a 37 year old Tiimy or Tony Parker.

TJastal
05-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Funny how all the doucheweiners who brazenly picked a spurs sweep are now saying its over at 2-2.

:lol

BatManu20
05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Well we've got Dave Chapelle rooting against us (with David Lee's smokin' hot girlfriend)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKG6zDFCcAAXi6y.jpg

And Rainn Wilson.

RainnWilson ‏@rainnwilson (https://twitter.com/rainnwilson)21s (https://twitter.com/rainnwilson/status/333753626013097985)
And silence fell over the #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs&src=hash) fans like a cold wet tortilla... :lol

Bruno
05-12-2013, 08:24 PM
so what changed? did the core become too old, not as reliable (especially Manu) or did Pop start getting loopy (hopefully not from the great wine), or a combination of the two?

I'm thinking since the core is older, he relies too much on scrubs and it bites us in the ass everytime.

Duncan and Ginobili getting older surely isn't helping Spurs but I would say that the turning point has been Bruce leaving. Since that, Spurs haven't really been able to find a true and strong identity (aside of the end of last season).

Capt Bringdown
05-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Hoping it would be different this year, but this is looking more and more like another playoff collapse/meltdown. The 3-point overtime is a very bad sign. The stench of quit and softness is apparent.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 08:28 PM
You think Spurs in 6?

Spurs in 7, sadly..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Before the series I predicted Spurs in 6 and said I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 7. This still applies, and I wouldn't be foreshadowing the Grizz series at all except to hope that OKC can extend that series to at least 6 games.

On the flipside, we threw away a golden chance to put the series away today, and that feels pretty awful. On the reverse flipside, we have shown that we can stick with them in their arena.

At the end of the day all we need to do is get out of this series healthy, and a winner obviously, then everything resets against a new challenge, so I'll go with tentatively half-full.

PS Game 5 is scary though - we need to own it from the tip and grind them into dust to set up an ending in Oakland.

td4mvp21
05-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I think glass half full. I was very, very concerned after Game 2 but I think their response in Game 3 was very telling. I think if they were gonna lose this series they would have folded in both road games.

It is puzzling to me that they're struggling with a 47-win team still. If the other series go 2-2 as well, I'll feel a little better knowing that no one is really playing elite basketball right now.

ace3g
05-12-2013, 09:15 PM
70/100 at the FT line isn't going to cut it...

td4mvp21
05-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I also think last year spoiled us rotten, for whatever reasons. The Spurs didn't really have a tough series until OKC. They used to have these kinds of series all the time. Championship teams - teams far better than this one and far more tough-minded - would blow 2-0 leads or be tied 2-2 with a team we all thought was inferior.

Beaverfuzz
Glass is full...Spurs have the next two games.

Danny.Zhu
-If not for a miracle, the Spurs would be down 3-1 right now. If not for Parker's amazing first half in Game 3, it could have been a sweep

midnightpulp
05-12-2013, 09:23 PM

No superstar and a semi-superstar second option (or two), like we see on Miami, a healthy OKC, the Lakers most recent championship teams, etc.

The kind of performance Parker had in game 3 is what a superstar consistently gives you over a series. The Spurs no longer have a guy that you can pencil in for 25-30 points per game.

Manu went vintage and provided that "semi-superstar" performance, but Parker nor Duncan was able to contribute with a star performance of their own.

So yes, basically the Spurs rely too much on scrubs to pick up the slack.

K-State Spur
05-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Sorry, meant to emphasize majority of his looks today/friday were contested. If those are the shots he continues to take rest of series, I expect him to shoot a poor %, "normal" or not.

ElNono
05-12-2013, 09:31 PM
I don't see the glass... while it looks like since Game 3 they have figured out some things to get a certain edge, it's also just as obvious that we're one GS player getting hot away from dropping a game... the general outhustling on the boards, etc is also something that just hasn't changed all series. I'm also still puzzled by Pop still giving burn to players like Bonner or Neal with more defensive-aware players like Diaw, Splitter or CoJo watching from the bench.

EJFischer
05-12-2013, 09:36 PM
My pick before the series started was Spurs in 6. My pick now is still Spurs in 6. They win in San Antonio and then close out on the road. I guess that qualifies as half-full.

AFBlue
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
3/4 Full....Kawhi's nuts shrinking and Pop's insistence on Neal and/or Bonner not withstanding, the Spurs have made their defensive adjustments. I don't expect any more 62pt halves, which means the Spurs are a pretty good bet to take the next two and close this young squad out.

spurs10
05-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Half full. We will win Tuesday.....

superjames1992
05-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Half-full, tbh. Yeah, winning today would have been nice, but the reality is that the series is tied at 2-2 and two of the three games left are at home. I hoped the Spurs would split the two games in Oakland and they got it done. I'd say Spurs in six at this point, tbh. Seven is a possibility, as well, but I really don't see the Spurs losing this series now.

carina_gino20
05-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Half full. If we get sane Pop for 2 straight games.

Pop's lineup choices: this is a tossup as he might just start Gary Neal in Game 5 just because it's Tuesday.

The every-other-day schedule and the overall health/stamina of the team worries me but it's out of our hands.

The rest, I think, are controllable and fixable. They just have to want it more than GS does.

Agloco
05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Before the series I predicted Spurs in 6 and said I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 7. This still applies, and I wouldn't be foreshadowing the Grizz series at all except to hope that OKC can extend that series to at least 6 games.

On the flipside, we threw away a golden chance to put the series away today, and that feels pretty awful. On the reverse flipside, we have shown that we can stick with them in their arena.

At the end of the day all we need to do is get out of this series healthy, and a winner obviously, then everything resets against a new challenge, so I'll go with tentatively half-full.

PS Game 5 is scary though - we need to own it from the tip and grind them into dust to set up an ending in Oakland.

+1

Good assessment imo. Might seem a bit strange, but I'm secretly hoping that OKC wins their series. I think we would have a better chance with them honestly. MEM is playing very good ball right now.

ploto
05-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Half full, we didnt play that well and we had the game won till right at the end.

Half empty, GS played awful and won.

kaji157
05-12-2013, 10:05 PM
I have no idea; the Spurs still haven't had a good team shooting display (1 player has had their moments in spurts each game) in this series; maybe that won't happen and Spurs will have to win 2 more ugly games.

Maybe that shows you how undependable are players like Leonard and Green and how this team desperatelly needs the big three and that Pop 11 man rotation is a joke because none of thm can do shit when it matters.
Where are all the threads about leonard and green being better than Ginobili?
We needed Jackson and Pop screwed that too.

That said, Spurs in 6. And hope for some rest after it.

milkyway21
05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
I am sure the Spurs esp. Duncan, Manu & Parker are as disappointed as we are.

I just want to win this series to embarrass those people from the media who are against us from the beginning...prove them wrong. Not necessarily to win the title but that we are the better team than the Warriors, that Duncan is still > Bugot

MannyIsGod
05-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Half empty, GS played awful and won.

Except they didn't play awful. They played an awful half, but by what measure would you consider how well the dominated the glass an awful game?

emanueldavidginobili
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
This game was right in our hands, a hobbled Curry Bogut 3 fouls in the 1st Q Manu with 4 3s at half a chance to go back to SA up 3-1 and they still manage to literally choke away the game. Gary Neal sucks, he can't play D he's a jacker undersized slow. CJ should get those minutes. 42 minutes for Tim? Really Pop and still were force feeding it to him at the end of the game when clearly he was gassed. We stopped sharing the ball the last 10 minutes of that game was god awful. KL looks so tentative on the offensive end its not even funny. We are tied up with a team that has 3!!!! ROOKIES in their playoff rotation. Jarret Fucking Jack does it again. Spurs need to get nasty like Pop said last year they need to send a message, where's the pride? That overtime was the worst OT game I've seen there's just no excuses for that in such a big game. I'll say half full though. I still have faith in this team.

MannyIsGod
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
My only worry is that the Spurs won't have time to recover their legs and that they'll get even more tired with the travel coming up. Its a legit worry looking at how bad they looked down the stretch, but we'll see how it plays out.

KaiRMD1
05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
That was a full empty OT period, that's for sure

Keepin' it real
05-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Definitely half full. I hope every Spurs' series goes 7 games. Gives me more games to watch. There's nothing more miserable than the long-ass weeks between the end of the Spurs' season and the start of the NFL season. So extend every Spurs series as long as possible. Entertain me!

therealtruth
05-13-2013, 12:01 AM

That's one thing that has always bugged me about Pop. He can't handle expectations. The Spurs have created high expectations the past several season and whimpered out. Instead of accepting that their favorites and that they should win, you get the feeling Pop thinks it all comes down to who makes shots. It's a genius way to deflect attention from the coaching. When other coaches fail to get their team ready or drop a lead they accept responsibility and say it's on them. It's their fault and they will do better. Pop never admits that. It's always the team's fault. If the coach refuses to be accountable how can the players?

Borosai
05-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Half empty, and that's not based on this game or this series. That's based on the body of work this team has put together over the past few years. Lots of wins followed by embarrassing playoff exits.

It's up to them to raise expectations again.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2013, 12:24 AM
The glass I see in front of me is a 40 oz bottle tonight. It is down now but it was half full at one point! I hope we do this here.
Half empty, and that's not based on this game or this series. That's based on the body of work this team has put together over the past few years. Lots of wins followed by embarrassing playoff exits.

It's up to them to raise expectations again.

I agree FULLY! IT IS UP TO THEM! If they want it bad enough they can do it, if not forget it they bowed out again early with HC.

100%duncan
05-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Full. Spurs in 6.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Half full. I think the first game and a half of series Golden State was playing at a level that they could not maintain. The last two and half games have given us a better idea of how this series should be. We took game three and had a chance to win game four. We've got two out of three next games at home with an experienced playoff team. I'd say we in good shape.

siraulo23
05-13-2013, 12:55 AM
The Warriors arent that good and the Spurs arent that good with a limited tp, it was just horrible luck when he seem to be finally getting healthy he gets hit by another injury. I guess it could be worse

As far as game 4 is concerned, the Spurs relaxed when they had that 8 pt lead late in the 4th, there was just no sense of urgency...

TDfan2007
05-13-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm neutral.

Duncan is gassed, Parker is hurt, Kawhi can't hit an outside shot to save his life, Splitter has regressed to full-on vagina mode, and our guys just pissed a very winnable game away.

With all that said, we barely lost while putting forth one of the worst offensive performances in Spurs playoff history, and we have 2 of 3 at home.

This series can go either way. We're the better team, but the Warriors clearly want it more and have more confidence/momentum than our guys.

I'm just very disappointed by the lack of poise shown by our guys tonight. They pissed away a big lead on two separate occasions and almost got shut out in OT. Maddeningly poor performance tbh

Johnny RIngo
05-13-2013, 01:53 AM
Spurs probably win this series but I have no faith in this team for the future rounds. Parker will not lead the team through adversity. The injury excuse will come up though, which should help the TP fans stay sober when he gets shut down against Memphis. Duncan needed that extra rest from a short Warriors series to prepare for Memphis. Right now, it's looking like Memphis will be the team that will be well-rested against us as we struggle to close out the Warriors in seven. Manu can't shoot anymore - the one game he does manage to shoot straight we lose. Our role players are disappearing. Hard to win playoff games when you regularly expect 10 points from guys like Splitter and Neal and they come up empty in just about every playoff game thus far. I was really looking forward to SA getting revenge against Memphis but I don't see that happening anymore. Conference Finals is our ceiling when it should have been the Finals in this weak Western Conference.

Johnny RIngo
05-13-2013, 01:56 AM
As far as game 4 is concerned, the Spurs relaxed when they had that 8 pt lead late in the 4th, there was just no sense of urgency...

Manu and Duncan carried us that first half. We needed more from TP and everybody else in those last two quarters. Disappointing to say the least....especially watching the Spurs go to a tired Duncan time and time again in that fourth.

siraulo23
05-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Manu and Duncan carried us that first half. We needed more from TP and everybody else in those last two quarters. Disappointing to say the least....especially watching the Spurs go to a tired Duncan time and time again in that fourth.

definitely, tp is limited but i thought he missed an obvious pass to green who was wide open for 3 and also missed manu one time during the stretch where they blew the 8 pt lead

and yes spurs need role players to step up, kawhi's playing decent but the spurs need his 3 pt shooting.

The spurs need easy baskets to score over 100 vs the warriors, theyhave to go back to pushing the ball offensively rather than slowing it down and playing against gsw's half court defense

temujin
05-13-2013, 03:31 AM
Three quarters empty.

1) The supporting cast is mediocre.
It's hidden by the RS system, by playing bad teams.
When it matters, you get a bit of defense here and there, a quarter by Diaw, another by Green. Nothing from Splitter and Bonner (surprise!).
That's it.
Watching Leonard and rookie Barnes in the 4th and OT yesterday was painful.

2) Playing every two days, and OTs, is gassing the oldies.
Ginobili and Parker were terrible after G1: they played 40' and 37' yesterday. And Duncan 43'.
Good luck with their production in G5 tomorrow. And 6G back in Oakland on Thursday.

3) Spurs did not win the rebounding battle in any game, including the victories.
First half yesterday was pretty bad.

4) Pop is being outcoached by Jackson. Yesterday, he looked totally lost in the 4th and OT. Joseph does a great job on Jack? He sits and watches Jack going off.

5) As for HCA, it might be relevant for GS in Oakland. The SA crowd, seriously, gives nothing to the home team.

6) No Bowen, no Horry, no Jackson. This team is soft.

chapnis
05-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Gotta be half full otherwise no point in supporting the team.

temujin
05-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Harrison Barnes was 9-26 from the field with 4 turnovers..how is he killing the Spurs?:lol..

And Klay Thompson goes off when he's wide open, it has nothing to do with the location of the games..if you watch game 2 again, about 11 of his 13 makes were open shots..

He hasn't done anything noteworthy since Leonard has been guarding him, tbh..

Harrison barnes is a heck of player.
A rookie no less.

He was bricking when it DIDnt' really matter, because his teammates were getting a LOT of the rebounds off his misses.
When it mattered, he went 5-6.
The time is NOT linear, there are moments in games which are MORE important, just like there are moments in our lives that are more important than others.

temujin
05-13-2013, 03:59 AM
Duncan and Ginobili getting older surely isn't helping Spurs but I would say that the turning point has been Bruce leaving. Since that, Spurs haven't really been able to find a true and strong identity (aside of the end of last season).

This.

mudyez
05-13-2013, 04:04 AM
100% half full!...meaning 50% half full.

I'm a Spurs fan, not a Lakers fan. So everyday is a half FULL day!

crc21209
05-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Half full. The Spurs defense has come around the last 2 games, now if we could only get the offense to come back also. The Spurs were up 80-72 when genius Pop decided to put Neal on Jack, which then lead a Jack 6-0 run and everything went downhill after that. I was fine with Neal on Barnes because Barnes shot like crap today and isn't very skilled or experienced in the post...

crc21209
05-13-2013, 04:14 AM
Three quarters empty.

When it matters, you get a bit of defense here and there, a quarter by Diaw, another by Green. Nothing from Splitter and Bonner (surprise!).
That's it.

Ginobili and Parker were terrible after G1: they played 40' and 37' yesterday. And Duncan 43'.
Good luck with their production in G5 tomorrow. And 6G back in Oakland on Thursday.

3) Spurs did not win the rebounding battle in any game, including the victories.

4) Pop is being outcoached by Jackson. Yesterday, he looked totally lost in the 4th and OT. Joseph does a great job on Jack? He sits and watches Jack going off.

5) As for HCA, it might be relevant for GS in Oakland. The SA crowd, seriously, gives nothing to the home team.

Seriously? You've obviously never been to a Spurs Playoff home game then. The crowd gets a hell of alot louder than they do in the regular season that's for sure. And IIRC, they were pretty damn loud during Game 1 and 2 of this series...

EricB
05-13-2013, 04:16 AM
Hoping it would be different this year, but this is looking more and more like another playoff collapse/meltdown. The 3-point overtime is a very bad sign. The stench of quit and softness is apparent.

Yeah the less than 48 hour turnaround had zero to do with it. Assclown.

objective
05-13-2013, 05:15 AM
just about fully empty.

I was pleasantly surprised that Pop went back to Splitter to start game 3, but not surprised by the other things he did, like playing Neal so much. Also, the team would be better served with 3 minutes of McGrady as a smallball 4 than 3 minutes of Bonner.

It's a nice regular season team.

They will be closed out in a blowout like Dallas was in 07.

TJastal
05-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Three quarters empty.

That's it.

Pop is just outcoaching himself as per par. The never ending beef with Splitter and propensity to bench him every time he starts to get it going...
the absolute refusal to unleash his only physical rebounder (Baynes) all season...in a series where the spurs are getting eviscerated on the boards...The unending love affair with Bonner and Neal even when its clear matchups don't favor them....yada yada same shit different year

Fireball
05-13-2013, 06:30 AM
It does not matter if the glass is half full or half empty ... be thankful we have a glass and there is still something in it

temujin
05-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Seriously? You've obviously never been to a Spurs Playoff home game then. The crowd gets a hell of alot louder than they do in the regular season that's for sure. And IIRC, they were pretty damn loud during Game 1 and 2 of this series...

1) Obviously.
2) I agree that those that bothered staying till the end of Game 1, were a bit more into it.
3) Forgive me, but European crowds, notably Southern European crowds, the ones I am sort of being used to, are actually playing the game with the players. For some of them, it doesn't really matter what the score is, they just go on chanting and booing. Not to mention the overnight noise around the opposing teams' hotel, the packed Gym hours before to "greet the opposing team, the threat to officials sometimes, the throwing of stuff into the court etch. A road game is a REAL road game in some places.
Seriously, I think that the big three, for all they have done in their magnificent career woulde deserve a SE crowd. A Pionir-type of crowd, for what could be the last PO game of the trio.

temujin
05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Pop is just outcoaching himself as per par. The never ending beef with Splitter and propensity to bench him every time he starts to get it going...
the absolute refusal to unleash his only physical rebounder (Baynes) all season...in a series where the spurs are getting eviscerated on the boards...The unending love affair with Bonner and Neal even when its clear matchups don't favor them....yada yada same shit different year

I wrote that the GS match-up zone that bothered Denver so much (in my opinion what won GS the series) was to be used in desperate circumstances.
It was long overdue and it came at the beginning of the 3rd. Very predictable (Bogut 3 fouls, TD 14 point in the first half).
Spurs did not look very prepared and had some terrible possessions: next thing you know the lead is gone.

Typical London Boy
05-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Haven't read all six pages so apologies if I'm repeating anything.

Generally, I'm at half-full. Essentially, we've got a best-of-three series, against the sixth seed, with home court advantage. At the start of the season you'd probably take it.

Would I have been happy with 2-2 at the start of the series? No. After Games 1 and 3? No. But after Game 2, when we'd lost home court advantage? Yes, 2-2 would've suited me just fine.

Another 'half full' satisfaction is that the Warriors eliminated the Nuggets, as I definitely wouldn't fancy our chances quite as much against Denver.

K-State Spur
05-13-2013, 08:01 AM

I don't know if that's fair. The good ole days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

The '03 team lost 2 games to 44 win Suns and won the last by 2 points. This was Starbury & not yet ready for primetime Amare led team. '05 team scuffled with 50 win Sonics group that had only 2 reliable scorers, one of whom (Lewis) was nothing more than a spot up shooter. '07 group rolled through playoffs, but took advantage of the field knocking out the toughest competition before we had to play them.

As frustrating as it was to give the game away yesterday - Spurs played some of their best playoff defense that we have seen since '07. Our guys worked the ball for open shot after open shot - and missed open shot after open shot.

This year's team isn't as good as the champions, but that's to be expected as those teams featured the Big 3 in prime. They can still play, but not at that consistent level anymore. But the biggest difference in decrease for championship hopes for this year lies in the juggernaut on the other side of the bracket. I think there is still a conceivable (albeit unlikely) path to victory against them - but it involves a combination of good fortune that can't be banked on (big 3 getting to 100% health, at least 2 of Green/Leonard/Neal/Bonner getting hot from perimeter 4 times, Kawhi bothering James, and Wade playing at his Hyde level rather than Jeckyl).

But Miami's presence and ability to build a complete team around the best player in the game playing at (or near) his highest level shouldn't affect how we feel about our team.

Maddog
05-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't know if that's fair. The good ole days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

The '03 team lost 2 games to 44 win Suns and won the last by 2 points. This was Starbury & not yet ready for primetime Amare led team. '05 team scuffled with 50 win Sonics group that had only 2 reliable scorers, one of whom (Lewis) was nothing more than a spot up shooter. '07 group rolled through playoffs, but took advantage of the field knocking out the toughest competition before we had to play them.

As frustrating as it was to give the game away yesterday - Spurs played some of their best playoff defense that we have seen since '07. Our guys worked the ball for open shot after open shot - and missed open shot after open shot.

This year's team isn't as good as the champions, but that's to be expected as those teams featured the Big 3 in prime. They can still play, but not at that consistent level anymore. But the biggest difference in decrease for championship hopes for this year lies in the juggernaut on the other side of the bracket. I think there is still a conceivable (albeit unlikely) path to victory against them - but it involves a combination of good fortune that can't be banked on (big 3 getting to 100% health, at least 2 of Green/Leonard/Neal/Bonner getting hot from perimeter 4 times, Kawhi bothering James, and Wade playing at his Hyde level rather than Jeckyl).

But Miami's presence and ability to build a complete team around the best player in the game playing at (or near) his highest level shouldn't affect how we feel about our team.
Jeez, you have to ruin the thread with a rational and reasonable take?
In all honesty- I think I lean to slightly half full. The Spurs Shot .355 from the field and >560 from the FT line and lose on the road in OT. Hell if they had shot 40% from the field and 60% from the FT line they would have won going away.

dbreiden83080
05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
I think the Spurs basically lost the game yesterday because they just ran out of gas. They have outplayed the Warriors the last 2 games and finally stopped all the open 3's and easy penetration in the lane in games 1 and 2 and game 4 felt a lot like game 3 in terms of the Spurs controlling the tempo. However you could see it coming yesterday even when they were up in the 4th qtr. It looked to me like they were dragging themselves up the court watching the clock just hoping to squeak the game out. Youth definitely prevails in a situation like that. They better have the energy to finish the deal tomorrow night because the game plan to win is there..

silverblackfan
05-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Definitely glass half-full. The FT % was the story of the game. The Spurs missed at the line and had to go into overtime, which they were too gassed to handle. GS just got hot at the end of the game to pull this out in front of a fired up crowd. If the Spurs were shooting at lest 60%, then they would have held the lead and won the game in the 4th quarter.
Hats off to GS, but can they do it 2 more times? Who knows? That is why they play the games.

Keepin' it real
05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I think the Spurs basically lost the game yesterday because they just ran out of gas.

That's inexcusable for a team whose stars "rest" during the regular season more than any other team's stars. Plus one week off between rounds 1 and 2. Inexcusable. The Spurs' strength and conditioning coach (if they have one) should get axed.

SenorSpur
05-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Half empty. It's pretty obvious too.

Warriors eeked out a win in a game where the Spurs were in control the entire way and Curry was injured.

Series shifts back to S.A. where the Warriors have played better than the home team.

Spurs have shown a woeful lack of physicality and allowed themselves to continously get outrebounded.

Parker's leg injury has left his mobility compromised, Duncan is gassed, Splitter is playing soft and both Green and Leonard are not shooting well.

Spurs role players have lacked playing time, confidence or both.

Aside from Game 3, the Spurs have reverted back to their pre-playoff poor play.

They can salvage themselves by winning Game 5, but they're now pushing a boulder uphill.

UZER
05-13-2013, 10:47 AM
This is reminds me of the Seattle series from 05.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
That's inexcusable for a team whose stars "rest" during the regular season more than any other team's stars. Plus one week off between rounds 1 and 2. Inexcusable. The Spurs' strength and conditioning coach (if they have one) should get axed.

Rest during the regular season or time off early in the playoffs doesn't matter when you have a quick turnaround (and yes, a day and a half is a quick turnaround) on old legs.

As for the original question of the thread, even though the Spurs have played pretty horribly in this series so far, I'm going to go with half-full (though I'm generally a pessimist about the Spurs). Despite Parker being off and the rebounding being atrocious, if they would have hit their FTs, they would have won. As long as Parker can get a little more treatment, I think they'll be fine.

Mouth is Bleeding
05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
This loss still stings. Spurs did a lot of things right and managed a lot of control defensively.

Looking forward that's a good sign when it comes to Curry and Clay and avoiding game 1 and 2 repeats. I also noticed Bogut at times, even after sitting out because of the foul trouble, barely being able to move up and down the court.

I do fear though, that the Spurs energy levels once again won't be great in the next game, similar to game 2, and that means we're in for another nail-biter even with the issues GS are having, making this should have been a win even more costly.

Random thoughts:

I think the 3rd quarter was the worst and most costly. Diaw especially was just off.

Neal is so frustrating and he continues to cause easy baskets defensively.

The effective period for Splitter that people are raving about definitely coincided with the period where Lee was a traffic-cone on D and Spurs got easy layups.

http://i.minus.com/ibjC0MFwQxxKcK.gif

I also think early on Barnes in the small GS lineup went past Splitter EASILY and that kind of sealed the deal for POP who not unlikely was right that Barnes being the volume shooter with Parker or Neal, rather than getting to the basket, all in all was lower effectiveness for GS.
But yeah I do want both Splitter and Diaw to play more instead of the ultra small lineup with Neal and all the other guards. Actually I'm now almost certain, I'd prefer Joseph getting Neal's minutes, especially now that Spurs overall have a better grasp of Thompson and Curry who is hurting.

EVAY
05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Half full because Parker should be better with another couple days rest after his bruise.

Half empty because NO ONE steps up when Parker is down. Clearly he didn't have any lift yesterday.

Why can't the Spurs Training staff give Parker something for pain the way the Warriors do every single game for Curry? That is a serious question. A bruise is not going to get worse by playing on it, but it will clearly keep a guy from being able to stop on a dime on either offense or defense and it will clearly limit his ability to set for a shot.

Rebounding cannot POSSIBLY be worse than it was yesterday. Bogut only played 27 minutes and we still got out rebounded by 15. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Free throws. Had we made ours, we would have won. What the hell is going on with that?

Raven
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
half full tbh, there is no doubt in my mind that we have them figured out and we can exploit their weaknesses going forward.

Darius McCrary
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Half empty simply because I was pretty disappointed by the lack of champion level fire i saw from this team. Ben waiting far too long for them to get their act together, time is near up.

Spurs7794
05-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Celtics 08 against Atlanta. Celtics 08 against Cleveland. LA 09 against Houston. LA 09 against Denver. LA 10 against OKC. LA 10 against Phoenix. Dallas 11 against Portland. Miami 12 against Indiana. Miami 12 against Boston.

Spurs championship teams: Spurs 03 against Phoenix, Lakers, Nets. Spurs 05 against Seattle. Spurs 07 against Phoenix.

This is why its half full to me. Before this weekend, I thought they'd wilt like the last 4 or 5 years. Instead, they have shown mental toughness (except for overtime yesterday) more reminiscent of their championship years and their defense has come along. We just need to get our offense flowing again.

Mouth is Bleeding
05-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Healthy Warriors with the bonus of missing the injured Lee are really good. Their small lineups are kind of scary and someone like Green who people maybe weren't familiar with was advanced staticians college player of the year last season, meaning he is likely a lot more useful for a team than a team-killer like Lee. Their defense also gets even better. Overall, before Curry slowing down, they were even better than Memphis I'm guessing.

In their current state we have to beat them though and unless they come up with something new I agree that Spurs in many ways have figured them out. I just hope that the players won't lack energy similar to game 2 though. The scheduele hasn't done us any favors tbh...

41times
05-13-2013, 11:30 AM
I see 2 glasses

one is 36% full
the other is 26% full

and neither glass is full enough to make me happy

Got to get the shooting stroke back and quick

Pop it is time for you to give one of your patented "talks" to the team.

lmbebo
05-13-2013, 11:39 AM
half empty. Spurs will be kicking themselves for giving this game away...

It was theirs for the taking. Didn't rebound and didn't hit there free throws. Instead they gave new life back to a team that has been very dangerous...

Instead of looking to close out the series, we are looking at a 6 or 7 game series now. With the high likelihood, *if* we get past the Warriors, of facing a very physical grizzlies team.

Spur|n|Austin
05-13-2013, 11:54 AM
I see 2 glasses

one is 36% full
the other is 26% full

and neither glass is full enough to make me happy

Got to get the shooting stroke back and quick

Pop it is time for you to give one of your patented "talks" to the team.

The shot needs to start dropping, that's really the basis of our problems right now. This could be caused by us not having out legs underneath us which could equal curtains for us..

spurs10
05-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I've enjoyed this thread, but have been dismayed at the level of pessimism in some of the people. What matters is how we play tomorrow, and I can't imagine anything less than us leaving it all out there on the court. This is going to be a 'must win' situation for our guys. Tony will have had two more days of treatment and the home crowd will be an inspiration to the team. We were one missed ft from winning yesterday in regulation. Tim looked about as pissed off as he has ever been after the game, and a pissed off Tim Duncan is a problem for the opposing team! Should be a barnburner at the AT&T Center tomorrow night! :ihit

Mugen
05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Looks to me like the Spurs have figured out how to defend Golden State which was the main issue for the first two games.

They can't rebound any worse and the other two issues of Game 4 (Free Throws & 3pt Shooting) are things that usually improve when playing at home.

Even the title teams blew MANY chances to put a stranglehold on a series.

I picked the Spurs in 6 before the series and I still think that holds true tbh.

EVAY
05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I had originally picked the Spurs in 6 but later changed it to 7. That is what I still think.

But I am truly truly truly tired of listening to the announcers slobber all over the Warriors.

RD2191
05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Still can't believe they lost the game. The more games played the higher the chances of curry or thompson going off.

dbreiden83080
05-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Duncan is 37, Manu is 36 and Tony is beat to shit.. Reg season rest will not cure that..

phxspurfan
05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Glass half full but this team is too old to win it all. If we have to sweep or put everyone away in 5 to have a chance, then we're too old. If we need OKC and Miami to have their best players go down with injury, that's not a legit championship. It would be like the Rockettes championships when Jordan retired and just started coming back. Go through the best and be the best or you don't deserve to be on top of the hill.

doobs
05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Half empty. It was half full after game 2 because I thought the Spurs had figured out how to defend the Warriors. I still think that's sorta true, but the lack of execution, the shoddy rebounding, and the obvious fatigue have me worried about this series. It would have made a huge difference to win last night and be able to close out at home in game 5.

emanueldavidginobili
05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
After sleeping on this loss I'm very optimistic, GS doesn't win another game in this series

Keepin' it real
05-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Duncan is 37, Manu is 36 and Tony is beat to shit.. Reg season rest will not cure that..

Then why do it?

dunkman
05-13-2013, 01:13 PM
I see the '05 finals, when the Spurs grinded out 4 wins vs probably the better team.

Darkwaters
05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Eh, it's a best 2 out of 3 series with us having homecourt. We've proven that we can win in their house. They had to get insanely hot to win in ours.

I still like our chances, but we definitely have to take them seriously.

G-Nob
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
I just pulled the glass out of the dishwasher and it's cracked. Examining further, the partcles making up the glass: heart, hussle, meddle, resolve, free throws, rebounds, rotations and matt bonner are all considered unstable at this juncture.

Might need to consider a new glass before it's too late. Oh wait, this team doesn't seem thirsty enough. Oh well, pressure bursts glass. I mean, pipes.

:fishing

Embedded
05-13-2013, 01:49 PM
I think game 4 was a trap game of sorts for us. We had yanked home court advantage back, got the win on the road we needed, and Mr. Ginobili found his 3. The short turnaround always favors the younger team. I thought we got the lead and got complacent. Now we have home court advantage, and 2.5 days to come home and rest. I hope I'm right, I think we have them right where we want them, and I think we need a long hard fought series after what happened with L.A. It would be nice to blow through every playoff series 4-0. I don' think we can do that, especially to Miami. Therefore we need some character-building along the way, and I would rather be having this with Golden State than Denver. We need to handle Andrew Bogus down low.

Uriel
05-13-2013, 01:58 PM
For this series, half full. The Warriors aren't really that good...they got lucky that the Spurs were so flat tonight. Granted, they can win this series, but it would take an epic collapse from the Spurs.

Moving forward, it's more half empty. The team is too inconsistent to be champions or even conference champions. I'm not counting them out, though. There's still time to get better.
This.

spurraider21
05-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Spurs in 6. i had them in 5. oh well

rjv
05-13-2013, 03:09 PM
i don't see it either way...i see it as a typical 2nd round series where a team that causes matchup issues for the spurs is giving us fits. on the other side, our playoff savy and hall of fame cast is not an easy out for the upstart warriors.

our home courts has not been great but i'd still rather have it.

dbreiden83080
05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Then why do it?

Is my name Gregg Popovich?

Horry Hipcheck
05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Glass completely full. Most of the people who would argue that the Spurs should have taken a 3-1 lead are also the ones who say the Warriors should have left San Antonio with a 2-0 lead. I don't play to the extremes of either spectrum; neither of these teams is done until the other wins 4 games. Period. The Spurs went to Oracle, corrected a lot of mistakes from the first two games, and are going back to San Antonio with a 2-2 series tie and two of the final 3 games at home. In the last few years, I have never seen a Spurs team helmed by Tim Duncan and Pop take a demoralizing hit. They fought back to force Game 6 against Memphis in 2011 and played that game hard until the end, they took a haymaker to the face in Game 5 against OKC last year and were an entire officiating squad away from having Game 7 at the AT&T. The Spurs have rarely let a loss that didn't completely eliminate them from the postseason get to them. An opponent gets hot, fights back, lands some blows, and the Spurs drop the hammer. Tim Duncan will not allow Game 5 to slip away this year, the Spurs have an excellent chance to put an entire world of pressure on Steph Curry in Game 6.

The pessimists will look at this as an opportunity for the Warriors to take another one in SA and push the Spurs to the brink. However, we've seen the Spurs respond before, and I have a gut feeling we'll see it again. They are the better team and even if it takes seven games, they will advance.

TD 21
05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Celtics 08 against Atlanta. Celtics 08 against Cleveland. LA 09 against Houston. LA 09 against Denver. LA 10 against OKC. LA 10 against Phoenix. Dallas 11 against Portland. Miami 12 against Indiana. Miami 12 against Boston.

Spurs championship teams: Spurs 03 against Phoenix, Lakers, Nets. Spurs 05 against Seattle. Spurs 07 against Phoenix.

This is why its half full to me. Before this weekend, I thought they'd wilt like the last 4 or 5 years. Instead, they have shown mental toughness (except for overtime yesterday) more reminiscent of their championship years and their defense has come along. We just need to get our offense flowing again.

Some of those either come with caveats ('08 Cavs had one of the greatest players ever; ditto for '10 Thunder, although he wasn't quite playing at that level then), flat out weren't heavily favored (like the '11 Mavs, who many were predicting would be upset) or had a key injury ('12 Heat's only credible big played all of 15:48 in series and another of their big three played the first half of the series on a gimpy knee).

As far as the others, fair enough. But in none of those instances do I recall the vast majority actually thinking they were going to blow it and sure enough, they didn't. The Spurs have numerous times and not only would most not be surprised if they did so again, but many are now expecting it to happen. This is why this team is clearly not feared across the league and hasn't been for years despite their gaudy regular season record.

As far as your Spurs examples, they were not heavily favored in '03 against the Lakers and in '07 against the Suns, they were not only not favored, but they were considered the underdogs.

therealtruth
05-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Some of those either come with caveats ('08 Cavs had one of the greatest players ever; ditto for '10 Thunder, although he wasn't quite playing at that level then), flat out weren't heavily favored (like the '11 Mavs, who many were predicting would be upset) or had a key injury ('12 Heat's only credible big played all of 15:48 in series and another of their big three played the first half of the series on a gimpy knee).

As far as the others, fair enough. But in none of those instances do I recall the vast majority actually thinking they were going to blow it and sure enough, they didn't. The Spurs have numerous times and not only would most not be surprised if they did so again, but many are now expecting it to happen. This is why this team is clearly not feared across the league and hasn't been for years despite their gaudy regular season record.

As far as your Spurs examples, they were not heavily favored in '03 against the Lakers and in '07 against the Suns, they were not only not favored, but they were considered the underdogs.

Good point. To me that's one thing that makes it clear Phil Jackson is better. Pop cannot handle expectations. How many series have they been picked to win and they've lost the last couple of years? If the team is simply not good enough, instead of focusing on W's in the regular season he should be focusing on a style of play that will work in the playoffs and not abandoning it for small ball?

DMC
05-14-2013, 08:42 PM
It depends on your perspective of the water. If you think the water is good, there's not enough. If you think the water is bad, there's too much.

If you think the Spurs are lucky to be there, that they are not good enough to win, then the glass is half full. If you think the Spurs should have swept the series, the glass is half empty. If you believe either team will win a ring, the glass is smarter than you.