PDA

View Full Version : Why Pop hates Tiago?

biziofromdowntown
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
I can't belive we lost this game, and i'm pretty sure we lost it cause Pop went mad on Tiago and let him ride the pine for all 4Q after our 6-0 run. Instead Pop give us neal on Jarret MJ Jack and we know what happend. WTFPop, perfection or pine for Splitter? Gassing out Duncan with a Diaw that can't hit a shot to save his life?

BatManu20
05-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Tiago has bee horrible all series, with today being his worst game....

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Splitter was guarding both Jack and Lee but his late help D on the post up led to a Neal foul(and one), so obviously Splitter was the one to blame.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Tiago has bee horrible all series, with today being his worst game....

He finally started playing well in the 4th quarter and the Spurs started to dominate. Why the hell would Pop go away from what was working so well?!?!

RD2191
05-12-2013, 06:11 PM
cant even blame pop, tbh. tiago has fukin suked lately.

Sobe_Kucks
05-12-2013, 06:16 PM
cant even blame pop, tbh. tiago has fukin suked lately.

Yeah Neal small ball was definitely the better call. Tiago is wuss ing out an gettin pushed around but actually was doing well on the pnr. Then... he gets yanked and we gas out Timmy.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Two theories:

1. He's over 6'11", and Pop hates that.
2. Pop's trying to keep his value low so the Spurs can re-sign him.

biziofromdowntown
05-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah, during the start of 4th finally Splitter comes in the series and start doing well on PNR, we exsposed their bigs and open the room for cuts. Suddenly Pop took him out for a misreading on D with Neal...and we were pleasured with MORE Neal!

freetiago
05-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Splitter cant do well when they run nothing through him
if Duncan is in the game then Splitter is just a screen setter
when he plays with the bench Ginobili throws his skip passes all day and ignores Splitter and the other heroes launch shots a
nd the spacing is worse because teams sag off Diaw so much
the 4th quarter was only Splitter on the floor with Splitter as the primary roll man and screen setter and he torched GS every single time with the right pass or layup

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 06:41 PM
11:44

62-60
David Lee misses 9-foot

11:32
Kawhi Leonard makes 1-foot two point shot (Tiago Splitter assists)
64-60

11:17
64-60
Klay Thompson misses 16-foot two point jumper

11:03
Tiago Splitter makes driving layup (Tony Parker assists)
66-60

10:37
Harrison Barnes misses 12-foot two point shot
66-60

10:23
Kawhi Leonard makes 4-foot two point shot (Tiago Splitter assists)
68-60

10:08

68-62
Harrison Barnes makes two point shot (Carl Landry assists)

Gary Neal shooting foul (Harrison Barnes draws the foul)
68-62

Tim Duncan enters the game for Tiago Splitter

Hoops Czar
05-12-2013, 06:43 PM
And Bruno found Tiago's lone 2 minutes of effectiveness. Too bad he played 19 minutes.

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 06:45 PM
And Bruno found Tiago's lone 2 minutes of effectiveness. Too bad he played 19 minutes.
Exactly, when Splitter was playing well he got benched:bang
Then Duncan was tired in the end of the game

DesignatedT
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Tiago was soft as tissue paper out there today.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Two theories:

1. He's over 6'11", and Pop hates that.

Winning championships is more important than resigning players at a discount.

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Can't win playing small against GS especially when our smalls can't guard anyone. When we play big we should be attacking the paint. I have no idea why Diaw is never sent into the post. I have no idea why we played the 4th without someone to help out Tim. Fuck Gary Neal. Diaw needs to be slapped too because he hesitates when he catches at the top of the arc and has a wide open 3. He would rather pump fake, and dribbled into a contested shot.

Josepatches_
05-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Small ball is not our weapon. We are playing their game.

We played nearly all the season with TD/Tiago/Kawhi and it worked very well.

rasho8
05-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Small ball is not our weapon. We are playing their game.

We played nearly all the season with TD/Tiago/Kawhi and it worked very well.

This shit. Why change what was crushing people? It's fucking stupid.

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
It's as if Pop forgot everything he said after game 3.. This is our lineup, we play it and we win with that style.. Pop needs to get thrown out of game 5 just so that we can make sure we continue to run our real line up out there.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
The only way Splitter is going to end his funk is for Pop to chill out and give him some minutes.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Tiago was soft as tissue paper out there today.

Stupidest take of the day. Spurs scored 6 straight points and Pop pulled him for the last 17 minutes of the game.

DesignatedT
05-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Tiago is just horrible with his back to the basket at this point. He couldn't back down my fuckin grandma in the playoffs. His two hook shots were horrible. He had a couple nice screen n rolls where Tony set him up right at the basket but he was playing soft all day. I saw him give up multiple rebounds (everyone pretty much is at this point) and his 2 boards in 20 minutes of play is horrible seeing that he was pretty much the tallest dude on the court when Bogut was sitting.

TJastal
05-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Stupidest take of the day. Spurs scored 6 straight points and Pop pulled him for the last 17 minutes of the game.

Would you expect anything less from Pop's "designated" yes man?

DesignatedT
05-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Would you expect anything less from Pop's "designated" yes man?

http://i.imgur.com/sI5bx.gif

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
This reminded me of that Knicks@San Antonio game where Splitter scored 13 straight points in the 4th(had played like shit for 3 quarters) then Pop benched him for the last 8 minutes of the game. The Spurs blew a double digits lead and lost the game.

DarrinS
05-12-2013, 07:57 PM

This

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Ya, Splitter has been horrible all series, including tonight, until the end of the 3rd, where it appeared that he finally got in a rhythm..his pick&roll game directly contributed to 3 or 4 straight makes for the Spurs and shredded Golden State's defense..

I'm not sure why you would bench him after he finally appeared to show some life:lol..

rascal
05-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Ya, Splitter has been horrible all series, including tonight, until the end of the 3rd, where it appeared that he finally got in a rhythm..his pick&roll game directly contributed to 3 or 4 straight makes for the Spurs and shredded Golden State's defense..

I'm not sure why you would bench him after he finally appeared to show some life:lol..

He was playing poorly on defense and not rebounding.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 08:48 PM
He was playing poorly on defense and not rebounding.

It was 58-60 when Splitter entered the game..

He set the screen for Parker's jump shot to make it 62-60 for the Spurs..

The subsequent 3 plays were Splitter pick&rolls that led to a FG and 2 assists from Splitter to Leonard..

Golden State got an and-1 off a stupid play from Neal(as usual) to cut it to 68-63 and Pop decided to take Splitter out..

The Spurs were +7 during that stint from Splitter, his first positive contribution of the series..it didn't make sense for Pop to take him out..

05-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I would be more mad at Pop if Splitter wasn't playing like a giant vagina.

TJastal
05-12-2013, 09:15 PM
So apparently prevailing logic dictates that one defensive lapse justifies Splitter's benching even when the offense was cranking at full tilt thanks to him.

Typical spurfan logic for ya.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
So apparently prevailing logic dictates that one defensive lapse justifies Splitter's benching even when the offense was cranking at full tilt thanks to him.

Typical spurfan logic for ya.

No, most of these people are the ones who argued whenever someone asked why Splitter wasn't in the lineup the last two years. They're the guys saying "he doesn't understand the system" or "he's too injured to play" or "he doesn't spread the floor". Now all those douchebags are butthurt because Splitter's a good player and the offense and defense are both greatly improved with him starting. If he had a good statistical game, they'll say he's soft, if they win with him in the game, they'll point to his stats. They'd rather lose with smallball than see the Spurs do well with Splitter.

rascal
05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
The Spurs were +7 during that stint from Splitter, his first positive contribution of the series..it didn't make sense for Pop to take him out..

He has made a positive contribution in the series for a whopping 1:24 seconds.

freetiago
05-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Once Splitter started GS didnt score 100
and it was on the road for SA
positive contribution tbh

he should be pick and rolling with Tony when the benches are in

therealtruth
05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
The problem is we're not going anywhere without getting contributions from Splitter. Pop is really shortsighted if he doesn't see that and thinks small ball can save the day.

superbigtime
05-13-2013, 06:51 PM
spurs can kill em w PNR w Tiago.

tesseractive
05-13-2013, 07:04 PM
No, most of these people are the ones who argued whenever someone asked why Splitter wasn't in the lineup the last two years. They're the guys saying "he doesn't understand the system" or "he's too injured to play" or "he doesn't spread the floor". Now all those douchebags are butthurt because Splitter's a good player and the offense and defense are both greatly improved with him starting. If he had a good statistical game, they'll say he's soft, if they win with him in the game, they'll point to his stats. They'd rather lose with smallball than see the Spurs do well with Splitter.

Yes, because Pop and many Spurs fan have a pathological hatred of putting good players on the floor.

I don't know for a fact why Tiago got pulled yesterday, but it still looks like he's tentative at times out there, which suggests that he's not fully over the injury. They may have put a cap on his minutes to reduce his risk of reinjuring himself.

HarlemHeat37
05-13-2013, 07:11 PM
He has made a positive contribution in the series for a whopping 1:24 seconds.

I just said that he's been horrible all series..my point was that it made no sense to take him out of the game during a stint where he was finally making a positive contribution and getting in a rhythm, Laker fan..

silverblk mystix
05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes, because Pop and many Spurs fan have a pathological hatred of putting good players on the floor.

I don't know for a fact why Tiago got pulled yesterday, but it still looks like he's tentative at times out there, which suggests that he's not fully over the injury. They may have put a cap on his minutes to reduce his risk of reinjuring himself.

Spoken like a true Popsucker!

Tuddy
05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
He's had his minutes capped at 20 for whatever reason same as manu when he came back

tim_duncan_fan
05-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Possibly because he could put Charmin out of business.

Slippy
05-14-2013, 04:10 AM

Im pretty sure it had to do with POP freaking about match-ups before Barnes was about to shoot his and1. Couln't see what was going on in the sidelines so basically going by espn feed and the five on the court after. GS went Curry for Lee. That had Pop reacting by going Duncan for Tiago which in turn had Jackson countering with Bogut replacing Landry.

Hubie goes it's a chessmatch.

Coach jackson with checkmate.

Slippy
05-14-2013, 04:13 AM
He's had his minutes capped at 20 for whatever reason same as manu when he came back

Not sure about his mins being capped but the ankle is still bothering him. Every time Tiago sat , he had ankle wrapped up in ice.

Mal
05-14-2013, 05:25 AM

Like Spurs will have better shot at championship next year

kaji157
05-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Basically is that with Spurs role players unable to contribute shit, we need Splitter on the floor because he can make things easier for Tony, Manu and TD.
And we need those guys fresh when (3rd best player on the team) Leonard or Green are playing like they´ve seen the undead.

Phillip
05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
because tiago is mediocre, and the spurs are better off going with parker, ginobili, green, leonard, and duncan

pgardn
05-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Because Tiago posts up and gets pushed out to the frrgn foul line by Carl frrgn Landry?

Brunodf
05-14-2013, 06:02 PM
because tiago is mediocre, and the spurs are better off going with parker, ginobili, green, leonard, and duncan

:lolGood one, that lineup is -21 in 29 minutes, shooting 29% and 3-17 3's

Phillip
05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Because Tiago posts up and gets pushed out to the frrgn foul line by Carl frrgn Landry?

bingo

Gagnrath
05-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Splitter had finally just had a couple of moderately good offensive possessions, I do agree that his length and mobility bother GS guards inside. That said as a player he hasn't been playing well. I'd be interested in seeing for a couple possessions at least if Baynes is mobile enough to have the same effect, or if someone can get Tiago to play tougher more physical ball. The issue is multifold, Tiago having some dumb moments and not really fighting for rebounds, he's also really passive when not involved in a pick and roll call on offense. He's no longer new to the NBA nor a very young undeveloped player, he needs to go through contact and finish and take the ball up hard because while he is a skilled player with a decent shooting touch he's not really a jumpshooting big with ball handling skills. Having a 6-11 center that is trying to finesse everything is not what the spurs need. Having a 6'11" Center that gets rebounds and finishes with authority (and brains), and enforces the defense in the paint is something that is needed. I understand he's not got an exactly perfect base at the moment with the recent ankle turn, and to play big with force needs the ability to plant well, but that gets us back to splitter getting a hang nail and being out for 3 games. I like the guy personality wise, he's got nba size and skills it seems; damn though man get some fire, and if you can't take the physical toll then don't expect to be a major player or have a big contract career.

rmt
05-14-2013, 10:04 PM
The problem is we're not going anywhere without getting contributions from Splitter. Pop is really shortsighted if he doesn't see that and thinks small ball can save the day.

Every minute that Splitter plays is a minute's rest for TD that is important at the end of the game. I can't stand to see TD laboring for 43 minutes while Splitter plays only 18 and Diaw only 12. Spurs can't win on the backs of only 5 players. Tiago and Diaw must be given the opportunity to contribute or the others are gassed.

pgardn
05-14-2013, 11:23 PM
He will definitely be needed if we make the next round.

But The Dude was out of his element tonight.

thankfully we have him as it looked like Duncan was drained. And Diaw can't go big minutes either. Tiago has got to add more than height.

biziofromdowntown
05-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Here's the prove, today Splitter plays far away from great bball, but we need his size and his minutes on the floor. With Timmy shelf of himself a big body outside is needed. Better when paired with Diaw than Bonner, tbh

Brunodf
05-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Timmy with +27. Not playing 20 minutes/game of small ball helps

dbreiden83080
05-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Timmy with +27. Not playing 20 minutes/game of small ball helps

Timmy at -23 last game made my brain hurt..

I mean this is Tim Fuckin Duncan...