PDA

View Full Version : Things That Need to Change in Game 5

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Here are a few things that I feel needs to be done differently in game 5 in order for the Spurs to win. They are in no particular order but I believe they are all instrumental in getting the much needed win on tuesday.

1. Kawhi Leonard needs to calm down. He is thinking too much out there. A young player with a shaken confidence does not bode well in the playoffs. He is not contributing in the offensive flow of the game with all of his points coming off of rebounds near the basket. It is great that he is finding a way to contribute with his shot being off, but he has to knock down the open shots.

2. Boris Diaw needs to show some level of intensity out there. He looks bored. This is my main problem with him. He is way too wishy-washy. There are games that he actually looks to score and there are games like today where he inexplicably takes a dribble on a wide open three then takes the shot a couple seconds later only when a guy begins to run at him.

3. Tim Duncan needs to have a better gauge on what is left in his tank. Bogut was manhandling him down in the low block during the final minutes of regulation, yet Duncan continued to shoot fade away after fade away only to see the ball hit the front of the rim. He was hurting his team. Also, it was a welcome sight to see him shoot very well at the charity stripe this season (82%), but 5-9 is not going to cut it. Take the same advice you gave to Kawhi in game 3 and use it on yourself Duncan.

4. Popovich needs to utilize Splitter much better. This is a player that will very well get over an 8 million dollar a year contract during the offseason. He simply can't play just 19 minutes in a very important playoff game. I saw glimpses of the regular season glory days when he was running the pick and roll early on in the fourth only to be subbed immediately after by Pop. Our offense (especially the second unit's) is predicated on the pick and roll. Mr. Argentina and Mr. Brazil looked to finally have their timing together and Pop needlessly subbed him and put Duncan back in with too much time remaining.

5. It is sad to see that we are in the middle of May and we don't have a designated back-up point guard. Every other team in the playoffs has one and it is integral to any championship team's winning formula. I know Pop does not have much to work with, but in hindsight he made a crucial mistake during the regular season. He seemed to cater to De Colo by favoring him over the other guards during long stretches of the season. Now De Colo is on the bench and not contributing one bit. There is no reason for Gary Neal to play double the minutes that Cory Joseph is playing. In Cory Joseph's time on the court, he has shown that he is very capable of playing decent defense without fouling (something Neal has a problem with). Neal is in the same mold of Bonner. If his shot is not falling he shouldn't be out there. Period. Pop needs to recognize this and play Cory more.

6. One of the big 3 needs to take over and man the team. Taking turns is cute during the regular season, but now is the time for Tony to step up. At this point in his career, he is the best out of the big 3. I understand he was hurt tonight, but I want to see more aggression out of him in game 4. He needs to shoot at least 22 shots and get to the line at least 8 times. Parker needs to show why he was in the MVP discussion for most of the season. Let's see another game 3 performance in game 5.

noles1983
05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
things that need to change in this thread

1. The title change to reflect game 5, not 4

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
things that need to change in this thread

1. The title change to reflect game 5, not 4

Yeah, I know. Too late now.

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
The most disappointing this about todays game is the missed opportunities. We lost this game, GS battled back but it's as if we served it up on a silver platter.. I blame Pop for the small ball crap, we had there bigs in foul trouble and we didn't exploit it. Boris Diaw needs to be coached up, wide open 3's and he dribbles into more difficult shots and then they don't try to post him in the block.

There was lack of ball movement today, sure Parker was banged up but attack and kick and get open shots

Way too much Neal on the court, the size game killed with small ball but effectively we didn't have offense on the court. We were settling for jump shots and that took us out of the game in the 2nd half. We couldn't rebound with no size and no blocking out.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Couldn't you have posted this 4 hours ago? ;)

But Pop needs to just play Splitter and deal with his crappy play. Sure maybe the Spurs can't win with his crappy play, but the Spurs can't win without him. Pop just needs to take a risk with Splitter and play him. I also think he should take a risk with Leonard and give him the green light. Fact is, we can't get it done with Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan, they're too tired.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Couldn't you have posted this 4 hours ago? ;)

But Pop needs to just play Splitter and deal with his crappy play. Sure maybe the Spurs can't win with his crappy play, but the Spurs can't win without him. Pop just needs to take a risk with Splitter and play him. I also think he should take a risk with Leonard and give him the green light. Fact is, we can't get it done with Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan, they're too tired.

I meant game 5.

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Manu had a great game but Parker looked like that leg affected him and Duncan looked slow in the 4th.. No ball movement killed them, lack of rebounding and missed FTs. We need to stay big in order to win, Pop panicked again and went small for the 4th

boutons_deux
05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
tighten the rotation

bigs: tim, tiago, boris as bigs (at least 2 on the floor at all times)

guards: tony, manu, kawhi, danny, cojo (no more than 3 on the floor at any time)

no bonner, no neal, nobody else

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I meant game 5.

I know I was messing with you.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Another thing I don't understand, is why the ball movement has been bad so much. I'm really tired of the hero ball from the big three. Hero ball from the big three weren't what made the Spurs so great earlier in the season, it was great ball movement, and they've gone away from that a lot.

apalisoc_9
05-12-2013, 06:33 PM
I agree with everything except 1. It's out of leonard Power to do more than what the system allows him..

Spurs fan needs to accept that for at least another 2 years assuming Kawhi intends to stay or decides that he's better of on a team that would give him the chance.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:35 PM
I agree with everything except 1. It's out of leonard Power to do more than what the system allows him..

Spurs fan needs to accept that for at least another 2 years assuming Kawhi intends to stay or decides that he's better of on a team that would give him the chance.
I'm not saying that Leonard should do more than what the system requires him to do. I am saying that he needs to fulfill his role in the system: Hit open jump shots. He's not and the Spurs are paying the price.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Another thing I don't understand, is why the ball movement has been bad so much. I'm really tired of the hero ball from the big three. Hero ball from the big three weren't what made the Spurs so great earlier in the season, it was great ball movement, and they've gone away from that a lot.
I know. It seemed like so long ago when the Spurs offense looked like a machine. It seems as if the ball movement is being stagnated because Manu has been neutralized on the pick and roll. The pick and roll is not paying as much dividends for the Spurs as it has in the past.

EricB
05-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Manu had a great game but Parker looked like that leg affected him and Duncan looked slow in the 4th.. No ball movement killed them, lack of rebounding and missed FTs. We need to stay big in order to win, Pop panicked again and went small for the 4th

He went with who was playing the best. Panick bullshit.

apalisoc_9
05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm not saying that Leonard should do more than what the system requires him to do. I am saying that he needs to fulfill his role in the system: Hit open jump shots. He's not and the Spurs are paying the price.

He's averaging 14-10 and 21-40 from the field. Want him to go shoot like Curry?

He's confidence offensively is not there alongside with Splitter but that has more to do with him knowing the only thing he can do offensively on this system to score is put backs and cuts.

Stop asking so much from a guy who is by design a role player. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind if kawhi is utilized offensively a lot better he'd be averaging 18-10 in this series. Those shots his missing are out of rythem shots. He's not expecting them. Because guess what, this team still wants to win with TP-MANU-TIM 2005 style.

Hoops Czar
05-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Tiago Splitter. The Spurs need production from others not named the big three. Splitter is going backwards. His offensive rating was 118 during the regular season and 97 in the postseason.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I like his 14-10 games. But he is shooting 25% from 3 point land in the series and they have all been open shots. I'd like to have seen at least 1 three pointer made by him today. And his 3's are coming in the flow of the system. Penetrators are finding him wide open behind the 3 point line and he is not knocking them down. Not asking him to become an all star over night like some other posters on this board.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Splitter had a bucket and two assists in three plays, and was benched for the rest of the game. Please explain.

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Small ball bro, guards don't set screens/they just stand in the corner.
Bigs move without the ball/set screens(also our bigs can pass).

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Gary Neal did nothing to deserve to be in that game, Kawhi Leonard offered nothing all game long except for defense so I can give him a pass but he needs to hit his shots and FTs its just inexcusable to miss all those from the line.

LakerHater
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Kawhi needs to stay in front of his man & not EXPECT help!

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Gary Neal did nothing to deserve to be in that game, Kawhi Leonard offered nothing all game long except for defense so I can give him a pass but he needs to hit his shots and FTs its just inexcusable to miss all those from the line.
I agree. However, he was 3-4 behind the line. Duncan, on the other hand :rolleyes

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Duncan looked slow in the 4th but we didn't put another big out there to help out.. We went small and that didn't help anything, we were getting punished on the glass all night and there was no effort to go for loose balls just standing around waiting for GS to rebound. Pop up to his old schtick in the 2nd half. Glad we didn't see Bonner but god no Diaw or Tiago.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Well, I'm going to say it: Free Nando!

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 07:02 PM
^^^ is he even on the team anymore?

K-State Spur
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I would say go back to the days of Bowen & Kobe. Green plays Curry every minute Steph is in the game. Don't dink around with Parker on him for one possession. If Jackson wants to base his offense on Barnes' back-to-the-basket game 12 feet from the rim, be my guest.

BatManu20
05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
The ball going through the hoop when we shoot it would be a good start.

DarrinS
05-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I will have hope in game 5 as long as I don't see a ginger or #14 on the court.

DarrinS
05-12-2013, 07:12 PM

I've actually wondered this myself, but is there enough time to thaw him out?

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 07:13 PM
I will have hope in game 5 as long as I don't see a ginger or #14 on the court.
It's funny that you say that. When I saw Mr. Biedrins step out on the court for the Warriors, I thought we had secured the win.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 07:14 PM
^^^ is he even on the team anymore?

It seems he is, even if Pop has decided that Mills and McGrady should be active instead of him.

Nando hasn't been that great this season but he can still be better than the current Neal. He can help Spurs offense with his shooting/playmaking skills. And he is a cold blooded player that won't fold under the pressure.

Hoops Czar
05-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Free Aron Baynes. Splitter needs to sweat things out a bit. He needs to get that competitive edge back and maybe some healthy competition will set him straight. I'm tired of this same ole act game after game.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 07:17 PM
It seems he is, even if Pop has decided that Mills and McGrady should be active instead of him.

Nando hasn't been that great this season but he can still be better than the current Neal. He can help Spurs offense with his shooting/playmaking skills. And he is a cold blooded player that won't fold under the pressure.

Yeah, what is with that? The guy who gets so much playing time compared to Mills and obviously over McGrady has to dress in street clothes. It's disrespectful and goes to show that Pop failed at finding and developing a back up point guard this season. That was basically the number one priority this season.

Josepatches_
05-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Playing small ball they are the better team. Play big. That's what we have to change

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Free Aron Baynes. Splitter needs to sweat things out a bit. He needs to get that competitive edge back and maybe some healthy competition will set him straight. I'm tired of this same ole act game after game.

We don't have the luxury for such an experiment. Aron Baynes would be so lost out there anyway and is simply not needed.

Making Splitter "sweat things out a bit" will kill all of the remaining (if any) confidence he has left. It won't work on him.

ace3g
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Yes!!!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2092/nandoklayswitch.gif

Kidd K
05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Pretty much everyone can do something better.

Ginobili: Needs to stop jacking up stupid shots. I know Manu is a smart guy in real life, but his basketball IQ is becoming very questionable to me lately. He is doing a lot of the things Spurfans make fun of dumb teams for often doing.

Popovich: Needs to punch Manu in the face when he continues to take stupid shots. Needs to kick Splitter in the ass and tell him to leave his purse on the bench when he checks into games. Needs to stop running plays that aren't working/haven't worked all series.

Parker: Needs to rest up and get healthy because the Spurs suck dick when he isn't playing well.

Duncan: Mostly fine, but he got lulled into taking bad shot after bad shot down the stretch when he needs to pass it out when he catches the ball in poor post position or when his advance towards the basket isn't going well.

Green: Badly needs to start hitting shots again. I like the D, but we need just 2-3 more shots a game from this guy to go in. It'd make so much difference.

Neal: Needs to be more active moving off the ball so he can get more open catch and shoots. I won't even ask for better D because I know he isn't capable of it.

Leonard: Needs to be more confident and work a bit harder on offense.

Diaw: Needs to hit his open shots. How many Spurs would kill for the looks this dude is getting? Convert.

Whole Spurs team: Need to stop being faggots and play better.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Yeah, what is with that? The guy who gets so much playing time compared to Mills and obviously over McGrady has to dress in street clothes. It's disrespectful and goes to show that Pop failed at finding and developing a back up point guard this season. That was basically the number one priority this season.

Pop don't trust rookies for the playoffs. He rather go with vets even when they truly suck. Hill and Splitter, who are both superior players than De Colo, were in the doghouse for their rookie playoffs.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Pop don't trust rookies for the playoffs. He rather go with vets even when they truly suck. Hill and Splitter, who are both superior players than De Colo, were in the doghouse for their rookie playoffs.
So you are telling me that Pop is sticking to the same formula that has led to zero championships in the last 6 years. Gotcha.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
So you are telling me that Pop is sticking to the same formula that has led to zero championships in the last 6 years. Gotcha.

Well, Pop is a damn stubborn coach. Just look as how much he has played and keep playing Bonner in the playoffs while it has been obvious for years he was a choker.

Sean Cagney
05-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Playing small ball they are the better team. Play big. That's what we have to change

YEP, too bad POP doesn't just stay with what works.

Budkin
05-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Make more shots. Our D is great.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Amazing how many people who watch Spurs basketball don't recognize the correlation between Splitter setting screens and guys getting open for good shots. I guess we can't blame Pop for being one of those people, I guess.

SpursRock20
05-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Amazing how many people who watch Spurs basketball don't recognize the correlation between Splitter setting screens and guys getting open for good shots. I guess we can't blame Pop for being one of those people, I guess.
It seems like the census here is to play Splitter more.

Indazone
05-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Story of the game. Duncan -23 +/- and Green -25 +/-

You obviously let Duncan go with a pass and hope he plays better next ga me but Green. Green has been pretty consistent with his suckage. Give his minutes to Diaw and T-Mac. Maybe you generate more offense and defense. -25 yeesh

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 08:31 PM

You obviously let Duncan go with a pass and hope he plays better next ga me but Green. Green has been pretty consistent with his suckage. Give his minutes to Diaw and T-Mac. Maybe you generate more offense and defense. -25 yeesh

The Spurs system relies heavily on Danny Green on both sides, unfortunately..

He isn't the problem, though..Neal has been the worst guard, by far..

HI-FI
05-12-2013, 09:01 PM

anytime I see Neal i know shit is about to hit the fan. i don't understand why Nando isn't out there, since he got more burn in the RS, at least based on memory. I guess it could be Pop is creature of habit and knows what he'll get out of Neal? either way, it's baffling. obviously neal is a better shooter than Nando but I feel more confident with Nando in all other aspects.

Neal over CoJo is an insult as well.

Sean Cagney
05-12-2013, 09:05 PM

Neal is just horrible, no ways around it. Some of our role players just suck.

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 09:14 PM

That +/- stat show that both Green and Timmy weren't appropriately used in the game(Green isn't that useful if he isn't on Curry/Timmy struggle in the small lineup)

milkyway21
05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
I like Pop's game plan in game 4. They only have 11 TOs(4 in the first 3qtrs), only the Spurs missed so much FTs, FGs in the 4th & OT and rbding 51 Spurs to 65 GS.

And it's not Pop's fault anymore

Venti Quattro
05-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Tony Parker should stop flicking on and off like a switch.

DMC
05-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Spurs need to finish with more total points in regulation than the Warriors.

DMC
05-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Neal is just horrible, no ways around it. Some of our role players just suck.

A bit of a microcosm of Manobili. You take the bad with the good. He'll go out there some nights and get you 20 points. He'll shoot you out of the game on other nights. He's a shooter, a chucker plain and simple and when they go they go and when they don't they don't. Without his shooting, he's useless. He's a horrible defender.

Joyrider
05-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Make your fucking free throws. 50% in a game where you had the advantage in fouls (except for Bogut 20 illegal screens) is unacceptable.

DarrinS
05-12-2013, 10:22 PM
A bit of a microcosm of Manobili. You take the bad with the good. He'll go out there some nights and get you 20 points. He'll shoot you out of the game on other nights. He's a shooter, a chucker plain and simple and when they go they go and when they don't they don't. Without his shooting, he's useless. He's a horrible defender.

I can overlook Neal's absolute suckage on D when he's raining down 3's like an assassin, but how dare you compare that scrub to Manu, who does so many other things well, even when his shot is not falling.

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
We are taking just the bad for 2 years

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-12-2013, 10:41 PM

I think Pop is to blame for that, as he wasn't using those players right. Duncan mostly was the only big in it seemed like tonight. If Duncan played with Splitter or Diaw more, I doubt he has that stat. As for Green, I'm not sure how to explain that stat, cause I thought he played well today. Unfortunately Pop didn't put him on Curry enough and he had to watch Parker get owned by Curry or Neal get owned by everyone.

Agloco
05-12-2013, 10:42 PM
The ball going through the hoop when we shoot it would be a good start.

This.

X's and O's are played out tbh. It came down to making a shot at the end of Game 4 and it didn't happen. Quite simple.

If this poor shooting trend continues, things won't end well.

I'm thinking of Diaw, Ginobili and Leonard in particular here.

05-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Splitter had a bucket and two assists in three plays, and was benched for the rest of the game. Please explain.

Timmy4ever
05-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Just crab the fking defensive rebound

Spur-Addict
05-12-2013, 11:00 PM
We shouldn't be dictated to as far as lineups are concerned. We can get away with Diaw playing the 4 if G.S wants to play small ball. He can bully their 3's, and Draymond Green, and provide some open perimeter looks after a double down. Who cares if he wasn't playing well early on in the game. He is the one guy who can guard just about anyone out there, while causing matchup problems on the other end. Make them adjust to us.

So what we missed some FTs, it's going to happen. I hate missed FTs as much as the next guy, but when they're going on runs, and it's because they're dictating the style of play, we have to make adjustments.

xxbriguyxx
05-13-2013, 01:17 AM
In my opinion, big three are playing too many minutes. Pop did the same thing last year, big three played more minutes per game in series with thunder, than they did all season. (Around 8 or 9 more minutes a game during the playoffs). Their bodies will wear out...

milkyway21
05-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Something must be done

Spurs shot a lower % from beyond the arc when they lose the game

game 2 23.8% Spurs :( (Kawhi 0-3; Green 2-6; Bonner 0-1; Manu 1-6; Neal 1-3)
48% GSW - (Thompson 7-8)

game 4 26% Spurs :( (Kawhi 0-3; Green 2-9; Manu 5-10 Bonner 0-0; Neal 0-1)
39% GSW (Curry 5-10 50%)

FT
GAME 2
Spurs 16-24

GAME 4 (edited)
SPurs 14-25

boutons_deux
05-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Something must be done

Spurs shot a lower % from beyond the arc when they lose the game

game 2 23.8% Spurs :( (Kawhi 0-3; Green 2-6; Bonner 0-1; Manu 1-6; Neal 1-3)
48% GSW - (Thompson 7-8)

game 4 26% Spurs :( (Kawhi 0-3; Green 2-9; Manu 5-10 Bonner 0-0; Neal 0-1)
39% GSW (Curry 5-10 50%)

FT
GAME 2
Spurs 16-24

GAME 3
SPurs 14-25

that's nearly always true. Spurs are totally dependent on 3Gs. no 3s, no win.

rmt
05-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Leonard lost confidence in his shot from the regular season when he went 0-6 in 2 of the last games. He needs to practice that 3 and stop thinking. It's strange how Leonard and Ibaka (since his missed layup) have shot so poorly. Confidence (where shooting is concerned) is everything.

Missed a major section of the game - thunderstorm messed with my satellite. Late in the game and Pop has gone back to small ball. When will he learn that he can't play small ball against GS - their smalls are just better, no bigs to set screens to free up a shooter, rebounding goes to pot and discourages the team, wears out TD as the only big - so many things wrong with it.

He needs to play TD, Splitter and Diaw all 96 minutes of bigs' play time - no Bonner. Diaw and Splitter need to play over 30 minutes. With how Splitter's been handled, he'll leave in the off season. At least give him a chance to play - 18 mins? An Diaw, only 12 mins with TD so tired?

Play Joseph instead of Neal.

Green should guard Curry every minute that Curry plays - no helping off Curry. Same for Leonard and Thompson. Have Diaw play Barnes.

TALL BALL, TALL BALL TALL BALL - more rebounds, more screens, better open shots, less tired TD.

Fireball
05-13-2013, 07:06 AM
that's nearly always true. Spurs are totally dependent on 3Gs. no 3s, no win.

No, this year was different ... thanks to improving defense the Spurs won games without hitting the three ball. Game last night too if they had made their FTs ...

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
As for Kawhi, I wouldn't mind seeing him pass up the corner 3, put the ball an the floor, and hit mid-range or finish strong at the rim. They should try to get him some easy looks early in the game -- he needs a confidence boost. If he gets a turnover, I think he should have the green light to take it all the way to the basket -- he has the athleticism to finish.

His role was supposed to be increased when they released Jack. Well, that time is here.

benefactor
05-13-2013, 07:15 AM
All of Gary Neal's minutes need to go to Cory Joseph.

milkyway21
05-13-2013, 07:33 AM
No, this year was different ... thanks to improving defense the Spurs won games without hitting the three ball. Game last night too if they had made their FTs ...

problem is GSW are hitting with lot of 3s esp if we are ahead..and they usually erase the lead in just a matter of minutes. Sometimes we fired back like Green & Manu in double OT in game 1 when the Spurs hit 50% from the area.

last night too if they had made their FTs ...

yap, could help if they make most of their FTs
game 4 FT Spurs 14-25
GSW 20-25
final score : 87-97

but correct me if I'm wrong, if Spurs made 23 FTs (assuming), out of 25 they still lose by 1 :(

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 07:45 AM
All of Gary Neal's minutes need to go to Cory Joseph.

I got no problem with that.

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 07:46 AM
I wonder if Pop is regretting releasing Jack? He sure would be useful in this series.

Johnny RIngo
05-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Is Tiago worth more than the MLE? Serious question. He has been beyond shitty these past two months. Look at his FG% this year - Peaked in January and downhill ever since. His playoff numbers are pathetic.

58.1% - Nov
60.2% - Dec
60.8% - Jan
55.9% - Feb
50.5% - Mar
46.2% - Apr
43.5% - Playoffs

Old School 44
05-13-2013, 07:56 AM
- Hit your free throws and it's 3-1 easy.
- No four down for Timmy late. Especially, if you're going to go too slow. He can't stand there with the ball. Bogut is a good defensive player in the post and this kills the rest of the teams movement.
- On late game shots, no isolation jump shooting. Take the ball to the hole and kick to the shooters if needed. Make the defense move.

bus driver
05-13-2013, 08:33 AM
spurs need to win :wakeup

SenorSpur
05-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Here are a few things that I feel needs to be done differently in game 5 in order for the Spurs to win. They are in no particular order but I believe they are all instrumental in getting the much needed win on tuesday.

1. Kawai Leonard needs to calm down. He is thinking too much out there. A young player with a shaken confidence does not bode well in the playoffs. He is not contributing in the offensive flow of the game with all of his points coming off of rebounds near the basket. It is great that he finding a way to contribute with his shot being off, but he has to knock down the open shots.

2. Boris Diaw needs to show some level of intensity out there. He looks bored. This is my main problem with him. He is way too wishy-washy. There are games that he actually looks to score and there are games like today where he inexplicably takes a dribble on a wide open three then takes the shot a couple seconds later only when a guy begins to run at him.

3. Tim Duncan needs to have a better gauge on what is left in his tank. Bogut was manhandling him down in the low block during the final minutes of regulation, yet Duncan continued to shoot fade away after fade away only to see the ball hit the front of the rim. He was hurting his team. Also, it was a welcome sight to see him shoot very well at the charity stripe this season (82%), but 5-9 is not going to cut it. Take the same advice you gave to Kawai in game 3 and use it on yourself Duncan.

4. Popovich needs to utilize Splitter much better. This is a player that will very well get over an 8 million dollar a year contract during the offseason. He simply can't play just 19 minutes in a very important playoff game. I saw glimpses of the regular season glory days when he was running the pick and roll early on in the fourth only to be subbed immediately after by Pop. Our offense (especially the second unit's) is predicated on the pick and roll. Mr. Argentina and Mr. Brazil looked to finally have their timing together and Pop needlessly subbed him and put Duncan back in with too much time remaining.

5. It is sad to see that we are in the middle of May and we don't have a designated back-up point guard. Every other team in the playoffs has one and it is integral to any championship team's winning formula. I know Pop does not have much to work with, but in hindsight he made a crucial mistake during the regular season. He seemed to cater to De Colo by favoring him over the other guards during long stretches of the season. Now De Colo is on the bench and not contributing one bit. There is no reason for Gary Neal to play double the minutes that Corey Joseph is playing. In Corey Joseph's time on the court, he has shown that he is very capable of playing decent defense without fouling (something Neal has a problem with). Neal is in the same mold of Bonner. If his shot is not falling he shouldn't be out there. Period. Pop needs to recognize this and play Corey more.

6. One of the big 3 needs to take over and man the team. Taking turns is cute during the regular season, but now is the time for Tony to step up. At this point in his career, he is the best out of the big 3. I understand he was hurt tonight, but I want to see more aggression out of him in game 4. He needs to shoot at least 22 shots and get to the line at least 8 times. Parker needs to show why he was in the MVP discussion for most of the season. Let's see another game 3 performance in game 5.

Home run points - all of them. :tu

Other than blowout situations, Gary Neal and Matt Bonner shouldn't see the court for the rest of the playoffs.

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Other than blowout situations, Gary Neal and Matt Bonner shouldn't see the court for the rest of the playoffs.

:clap

EricB
05-13-2013, 09:22 AM
I wonder if Pop is regretting releasing Jac

k? He sure would be useful in this series.

Yes he regrets losing a poor shooting slow wing. No question.

BillMc
05-13-2013, 09:38 AM
I think Boris needs to play more. He's tailor made for this series. We are 2 and 0 when Boris plays 20 minutes. No more Bonner.

rmt
05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Yes he regrets losing a poor shooting slow wing. No question.

If Pop is going to go small, SJax would have been another option. It kills me to see the the closing 5 worn out with so many minutes. Pop has cut 2 of his best 7 players virtually out of the rotation. SJax and Diaw are well suited for the type of game GS plays. If nothing else, he could give Leonard/Green/Manu a 10 minute blow. Also, SJax knows their system and players and since they traded him, might have a little revenge at the back of his mind. And we all know, SJax is clutch - certainly a better option than the defensive sieve, Neal.

HarlemHeat37
05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
I don't really see how throwing McGrady out there for a few minutes could be any worse than Neal, tbh..

There wouldn't be any chemistry, but it's irrelevant at this point, as Neal is currently a massive liability that doesn't provide any positive contributions, tbh..

His lateral quickness is non-existent, his shot is broken, the Warriors are targeting him..

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 10:10 AM
If Pop is going to go small, SJax would have been another option. It kills me to see the the closing 5 worn out with so many minutes. Pop has cut 2 of his best 7 players virtually out of the rotation. SJax and Diaw are well suited for the type of game GS plays. Also, SJax knows their system and players.

And didn't Jack hit like 60% of his 3's in last years' playoffs?

UZER
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

:tu great post

The most disappointing this about todays game is the missed opportunities. We lost this game, GS battled back but it's as if we served it up on a silver platter.. I blame Pop for the small ball crap, we had there bigs in foul trouble and we didn't exploit it. Boris Diaw needs to be coached up, wide open 3's and he dribbles into more difficult shots and then they don't try to post him in the block.

There was lack of ball movement today, sure Parker was banged up but attack and kick and get open shots

Way too much Neal on the court, the size game killed with small ball but effectively we didn't have offense on the court. We were settling for jump shots and that took us out of the game in the 2nd half. We couldn't rebound with no size and no blocking out.

The words exploit and pop don't go together. I have said it a thousand times, Pop runs a system. That is it and that is all. Regardless of the line up (small ball/big ball). And playing small ball, guys are out of position defensively because they are playing out of position, which makes it tough to grab rebounds.

On offense, he doesn't take advantages of mismatches. How he lets them get away with jack and curry in the backcourt without putting their asses on the block is mind boggling. As soon as Neal got in, they started posting him up with Barnes over and over until the spurs stopped it which they never did.

Pop didn't even go after curry after he rolled his ankle in game 3. Not one time did he try to go at him. Instead he let him rest in the corner on defense. Its like he has this "that wouldnt be fair" mentality. In this game, he should've played green on him early this game to ruffle his feathers and crush any hope of him contributing in this game. Instead he starts Parker on him and he drains threes early. Then to start the second half, instead of going for the jugular with green on curry, again with Parker on him, he hits 3s and cuts an 8 pt lead to two in under a minute.

Just crab the fking defensive rebound

See above...

Neal causes everyone on defense to be out of position to make up for his always getting burned. I love neal, but If he ain't hitting shots, get his ass out of the game.

benefactor
05-13-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't really see how throwing McGrady out there for a few minutes could be any worse than Neal, tbh..

There wouldn't be any chemistry, but it's irrelevant at this point, as Neal is currently a massive liability that doesn't provide any positive contributions, tbh..

His lateral quickness is non-existent, his shot is broken, the Warriors are targeting him..
Indeed. As soon as a player on the Warriors team sees Neal in front of him he immediately goes at him with no intention of passing. Just as he recognized that small ball was failing in game 2, Pop has got to recognize that Neal is no longer useful. Throw T-Mac out there or give more minutes to Joseph. Either option at this point is better than playing Neal.

Horse
05-13-2013, 12:58 PM
The difference has been so fucking obvious when we go big and make them adjust to us. I think Splitter is coming around. I'd say rest the starters a little more in the first half so their fresh in the 4th. They have figured out curry and thompson. barnes shooting 9-26 will not beat us. Gotta think we hold em to 84 pts in regulation 9 time out of 10 we win going away. Fucking Pop outsmarting himself again. Go big be the bully.

boutons_deux
05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
I repeat:

forecourt: TD, TS, BD, at least 2 on the court at all times. 96 minutes/3 = 32 minutes each

backcourt: TP, DG, KL, CJ, MG, no more than 3 on the court at any time. 144/5 = 29 minutes each

no Neal, no Bonner

ace3g
05-13-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm still worried Pop might overreact and change up the rotations, especially defensively.

I was hoping when I didn't see CJ the rest of the 1st half after he picked up his 2nd or 3rd foul that Pop was just saving him for 2nd half because we would need him to guard Jack and give TP rest, that never happened.

Another instance, TP for some reason was guarding Curry too many times at the end of the 4th and some of OT.

Pop needs to give CJ and Diaw/Splitter solid minutes to give TP and TD some rest throughout the game.

Just work on your offensive execution in practice.

Please don't let "you know who" ref Game 5.

Oh and play that game where if one teammate misses a FT, the whole team runs sprints.

ace3g
05-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Kawhi needs to go back to Jordan's for the rest of the series; hasn't worn them at all for Round 2

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 03:02 PM
neal has to step up and make shots, also if barnes outplays kawhi we have a problem, our bench hasnt been that great in this series other than manu, perhaps tmac can help a bit?

NOOoooo

ace3g
05-13-2013, 03:10 PM
If Pop plays Bonner and Neal extended minutes you know he definitely overreacted. Usually "we just need make some shots" is a cliche that covers up other problems; but in this case that is the issue; we have them figured out defensively.

SpursRock20
05-13-2013, 03:10 PM
neal has to step up and make shots, also if barnes outplays kawhi we have a problem, our bench hasnt been that great in this series other than manu, perhaps tmac can help a bit? spurs really miss stak5 because when we went small we had him with kawhi, now that there is no stak5, unless pop plays tmac, small ball doesnt work for us

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5w9qpUKhq1r5jtugo1_400.gif

ace3g
05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Also as much as I want to see TMac play, even that would be an overreaction at this point.

ace3g
05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Eric Messersmith @eric1250espn
(http://twitter.com/eric1250espn)Spurs most used lineup this series of Parker, Green, Manu, Leonard, and Duncan is -21 in 29 mins together. lineup shooting 29% and 3-17 3's

SpursRock20
05-13-2013, 03:30 PM
(http://twitter.com/eric1250espn)Spurs most used lineup this series of Parker, Green, Manu, Leonard, and Duncan is -21 in 29 mins together. lineup shooting 29% and 3-17 3's

All the more reason to end the small-ball experiment.

ace3g
05-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Maybe Pop should use Diaw in the SF spot if they want to go small and then keep one of Tiago and Duncan in.

SpursRock20
05-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Maybe Pop should use Diaw in the SF spot if they want to go small and then keep one of Tiago and Duncan in.

Might work. But has this ever happened? It seems that if Diaw and Leonard would share the court together, Diaw would be the PF and Leonard would play the SF position.

ace3g
05-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Well he used Diaw at SF spot when Kawhi and SJAX were injured earlier in the season.

emanueldavidginobili
05-13-2013, 03:59 PM
All the more reason to end the small-ball experiment.
But who to sit in that lineup? that's the dilemma, you need Green to cover Steph and KL on Thompson and Pops not going to sit Manu

Darius McCrary
05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Why not small ball but sub Splitter for Duncan? Splitter is not fatigued,.Duncan gets rest, and splitter thrives off pick and rolls that Parker and Manu set.

ace3g
05-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Might work. But has this ever happened? It seems that if Diaw and Leonard would share the court together, Diaw would be the PF and Leonard would play the SF position.

There was a thread about it

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205799&p=6206367&highlight=diaw+SF+ace3g#post6206367

Mal
05-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Go big, dont be afraid of mid range jump shots. Cut out three points, put two legit bigs in 2nd line of defense, and let them shot in between those lines. Bogut is non factor, Duncan or Splitters should be free for help defense.

Then on offense use this size. Put Duncan on the block, run pick and rolls with Splitter. Add highly talented Diaw to the mix. These should free corners shooters, help fight on boards and dominate pace of the game. Start playing like the team, which is running the show.

Worst mismatched will be created by Green/Barnes on PF for Golden State. Those guys cant hurt us, from deep, from mid range. Put Diaw/Splitter on them and sag off. Thompson, Curry and Jack will still have suitable defenders in Green, Parker, Manu/Leonard whatever.

And do something to unleash one of role guys to help, to contribute decent shooting, 10-15 pts of the bench. Neal, Diaw, Leonard, Green, Splitter whoever. Old guys cant run this by themselves.

Horry Hipcheck
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Honestly, stay big longer. The only thing that killed the Spurs in Game 4 was that they missed FTs and could not get rebounds. Do those two things and we're not having this discussion. Green stays on Curry, Diaw eats Bonner's minutes, get their bigs in foul trouble again and this time, finish the fucking game. So little has to actually change for the Spurs to win by ten again.

ace3g
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
“Shots just didn’t go in for us. We left a bunch of points at the free throw line. Our shooting wasn’t great. But all in all, I don’t think we’re going to change a whole lot.”

“Hopefully it’s an aberration to be that bad,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “But you can’t count on that. They go in or they don’t. You count on your defense, your aggressiveness, your physicality. That’s what we’re looking for.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/05/13/notes-on-a-practice-staying-the-course-even-when-its-off/

I like what I'm hearing

objective
05-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Activate Baynes and De Colo over Blair and Mills.

Play De Colo, Joseph, or McGrady instead of Neal.

Continue running pick and rolls with Splitter, it works.

Splitter should play 25+ minutes no matter what.

Keep Bonner on the bench. Instead of 3 minutes of Bonner in a half make it 3 minutes of McGrady.

Brunodf
05-13-2013, 04:56 PM

:cryBut but we should play small!!:cry

milkyway21
05-14-2013, 11:34 PM
3PTrs :

6-16 GSW 38%

10-21 SPURS 48% win !!!! :flag: