PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time 1 of our role players went off in an important game?

$pursDynasty
05-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Barnes and Jack went off on us today, and Bledsoe going off on us from time to time. The Spurs are all about the big 3 if Timmy, Tony or Manu doesn't do it, it doesn't get done. I mean Danny or Kawai or even Boris might hit a big shot or two but when is the last time a Spur not in the big three just went off and carried us in an important game? It would be nice for someone else to jump up and carry us every once and a while and let the Big three play the supporting role. It scares me about the post big 3 era for this team. Lot's of guys that know their part but no one that is about to set the league on fire and make the big three the big 4 like Rondo did in Boston.

RD2191
05-12-2013, 06:42 PM
i said all year that the only way the spurs win the title is if kawhi and splitter step their shit up.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2013, 06:45 PM
First of all, Jarrett Jack isn't a role player, he's their 2nd best player, and Harrison Barnes was 9-26 tonight..

Role players generally don't "go off" by creating, they are incapable of creating their own offense..they are labeled role players for a reason..

The Spurs system doesn't allow any players outside of the big 3 to create offense for themselves, tbh, outside of Gary Neal..

They run pick&roll with Parker and Ginobili, along with isolation for the big 3..the rest of the plays are typically set 3-point plays for the role players..

Other than the big 3, the Spurs have 3 players that can create their own shot: Kawhi Leonard, Gary Neal and Boris Diaw..

Leonard's offensive style of play clearly doesn't fit into Pop's current system..he's a mid-post player, and his game clashes with the presence of Duncan/Splitter..his chemistry with Parker is also weak..

Neal is given a green light, because he's the backup PG, he has the ball in his hands..

Diaw gets opportunities, but he doesn't have the mentality to shoot..

SpurSwag
05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
game 1 of this series when danny hit 6 3's...

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Diaw/Green

BatManu20
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Teams that have to rely heavily on role players never win championships. That's why the Spurs always struggle once they hit the 2nd round and WCF. Stars have to play big in the playoffs or you go home. Timmy and Manu are too old be carrying the load anymore, and your role players will almost always let you down. They'll have a big game here and there occasionally, but not consistently. And that's what you see with ours.

DMC
05-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Teams that have to rely heavily on role players never win championships. That's why the Spurs always struggle once they hit the 2nd round and WCF. Stars have to play big in the playoffs or you go home. Timmy and Manu are too old be carrying the load anymore, and your role players will almost always let you down. They'll have a big game here and there occasionally, but not consistently. And that's what you see with ours.

Solid take. This is the primary mode the Spurs use in regular season. In the playoffs other teams adapt. The Spurs make their money from low wages to high minute players. They know they aren't going far, but they have a gimmick that gets them wins and sometimes that can get them deep into the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Teams that have to rely heavily on role players never win championships.
Every Spurs championship team has relied on big games from role players at one time or another.

The actual problem is that three of the "role players" referenced are actually "starters".

Capt Bringdown
05-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Every Spurs championship team has relied on big games from role players at one time or another.

Pretty much every championship team needs role players to step up, not so much with big games, but with big moments. Where would Kobe be without Mr Timely 3, Derek Fisher, for example?
We've seen our role players step up in the regular season, so every year we hope and expect that they'll bring it in the playoffs. A false hope, it seems.

DarrinS
05-12-2013, 09:21 PM

The actual problem is that three of the "role players" referenced are actually "starters".

Anyone remember when a 37 y.o. Steve Kerr led this comeback?

kO4caOwS6jI

m33p0
05-12-2013, 09:56 PM
game 5 of the 2005 Finals, robert horry putting the whole team on his back. other than that, nothing comes to mind.

superjames1992
05-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Harrison Barnes didn't really "go off" on us. He scored 26 points on 26 shots. He pretty much decided to just jack up crap and hope it goes in. 9/26 from the field is pretty poor, tbh. That's 35%. A player can score 84 points on us and I won't care if he shoots that percentage, tbh.

Agloco
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM

kO4caOwS6jI

game 5 of the 2005 Finals, robert horry putting the whole team on his back. other than that, nothing comes to mind.

+1

Yes yes, DG went off in Game 1......but when it mattered? These two were going to be my examples.

DMC
05-12-2013, 10:16 PM

kO4caOwS6jI

Sure, but I don't consider hitting the shots "making the comeback". He scored the points, but they got stops. It's on both ends.

DarrinS
05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Sure, but I don't consider hitting the shots "making the comeback". He scored the points, but they got stops. It's on both ends.

Sure, but the point being that role players have really stepped up in some of the better Spurs' playoff runs.

05-12-2013, 10:41 PM

kO4caOwS6jIbeautiful ball movement.
i couldn't see our current role players knocking down those shots tho.

siraulo23
05-13-2013, 01:26 AM
jax vs the thunder last year

but it wasnt enough tbh

Mal
05-13-2013, 01:43 AM
They had no help whatsoever in game 4. Green and Leonard did good job on defense. Splitter had his moments, but then Jackson went small, Pop went with Timmy and Tiago`s good contribution was forgotten. Diaw, Bonner, Neal were non factors.

exstatic
05-13-2013, 04:07 AM
game 1 of this series when danny hit 6 3's...

/thread

superjames1992
05-13-2013, 04:11 AM
This thread is kind of funny to me considering what Green did in game 1, tbh. :lol

Short memories? :downspin:

Obstructed_View
05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Pretty much every championship team needs role players to step up, not so much with big games, but with big moments. Where would Kobe be without Mr Timely 3, Derek Fisher, for example?
We've seen our role players step up in the regular season, so every year we hope and expect that they'll bring it in the playoffs. A false hope, it seems.

Kobe "great finisher" Bryant would have zero championships if it weren't for role players hitting big clutch shots for him.

phxspurfan
05-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Green has gone off a few times.

LarryDavid
05-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Barnes ... went off on us today,

LOL .346% shooting percentage as "going off"

Spurs7794
05-13-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't understand how people can't remember Danny, Leonard and Boris having huge forth quarters and overtimes in game 1.

$pursDynasty
05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
I stated it wrong, not just went off, but was the best player on the team. When Danny went off it was great with the 3's but even then I wasn't like wow Danny is the best player on the floor. It was just dang DG is hot right now so yea keep feeding him. But the reason DG was so open was despite his 'hotness' teams were more concerned about TP.

Spurs7794
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
I stated it wrong, not just went off, but was the best player on the team. When Danny went off it was great with the 3's but even then I wasn't like wow Danny is the best player on the floor. It was just dang DG is hot right now so yea keep feeding him. But the reason DG was so open was despite his 'hotness' teams were more concerned about TP.

I don't think this usually happens though. When Shaq and Kobe were together, how often was one of their role players the best player on the floor? Same with Lebron and Wade, and the Celtics foursome (KG, Pierce, Rondo and Allen). Yesterday, I still don't think Jack was the best player on the floor...he just made a bunch of shots. Barnes wasn't the best player on the floor either...he just took 26 shots.

DJR210
05-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Last roleplayer to go off: Danny Green game 1, after that Jack in game six last year against the Warriors.

Aztecfan03
05-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Barnes and Jack went off on us today, and Bledsoe going off on us from time to time. The Spurs are all about the big 3 if Timmy, Tony or Manu doesn't do it, it doesn't get done. I mean Danny or Kawai or even Boris might hit a big shot or two but when is the last time a Spur not in the big three just went off and carried us in an important game? It would be nice for someone else to jump up and carry us every once and a while and let the Big three play the supporting role. It scares me about the post big 3 era for this team. Lot's of guys that know their part but no one that is about to set the league on fire and make the big three the big 4 like Rondo did in Boston.

Did you not watch game 1?

superjames1992
05-14-2013, 01:42 AM
That rarely happens at all for any team.

spurraider21
05-14-2013, 02:22 AM
boris has been great in both of our wins, green was a beast in game 1 and defensively in game 3.

lefty
05-14-2013, 04:45 AM
Parker was huge in game 3

racm
05-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Green posted 6 3s, 22 points, and the 3 that sent the game to OT.

OP has a short memory it seems.

exstatic
05-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Parker was huge in game 3

:lol Dayum...