PDA

View Full Version : Lost the Rebounding Battle Yet Again. What Gives?

Boomersgold
05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
For the fourth time in a row, we've lost the rebounding battle to a team that only has one real rebounder, Andrew Bogut. Why hasn't Pop taken advantage of the fact that Jackson likes playing small ball and gone with a Duncan-Splitter tandem? Whenever Jackson goes small, Pop always feels the need to match the Warriors by going with a small lineup himself. Why does Pop not take advantage of this and go big? Are there any other reasons for them outrebounding us, and what do you guys think the Spurs should do in order to outrebound the Warriors?

On to game 5!

RD2191
05-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Ummm because we don't have any good rebounders? This has been a problem all year and Pop never addressed it so now we have to live with the consequences.

benstanfield
05-12-2013, 11:33 PM
When your whole defensive scheme involves rotating to their guards, running them off the perimeter, and bigs coming out high when defending PnR, you're gonna get a lot of ball watching and rarely be in good position for boards. Tiago not being healthy also has to do with this, as the low post defender is alone versus 2 Warriors when Tim shows on PnR, and even if they're undersized, that's a battle that you need to be healthy to win.

Also has to do with shooting percentages. Let's just say it's an uphill climb to win the rebounding battle when you shoot sub 40%, which seems to be our ballpark average in this series.

Brunodf
05-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Small ball/GSW entire team rebounds

DesignatedT
05-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say they have "one real rebounder". They are using their quickness to get into better position against a slower spurs team, they are using their superior athletic ability to their advantage and they have more energy at times against an older spurs team. Not really hard to figure out. From what I have seen, all their bigs and forwards have been pretty impressive rebounders.

There are certainly certain things the Spurs can do better but its mainly just effort. They are a bunch of 23 year olds who have an insane motor with more athletic ability. We don't have that anymore therefore need to do a better job of establishing position and boxing out. It's a tough task though when they have that type of quickness and athletic ability.

freetiago
05-12-2013, 11:50 PM
This is what happens when the Spurs put all their eggs into defensive rebounding
if they dont manage to get the defensive rebound then the total rebound skews towards the other team
and it doesnt help when the opponent has consistently made their shots while SA has shot horribly from the field

Stabula
05-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say they have "one real rebounder". They are using their quickness to get into better position against a slower spurs team, they are using their superior athletic ability to their advantage and they have more energy at times against an older spurs team. Not really hard to figure out. From what I have seen, all their bigs and forwards have been pretty impressive rebounders. There are certainly certain things the Spurs can do better but its mainly just effort. They are a bunch of 23 year olds who have an insane motor with more athletic ability. We don't have that anymore therefore need to do a better job of establishing position and boxing out. It's a tough task though when they have that type of quickness and athletic ability. http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/Magindam/correct_zpsf03b8537.gif (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Magindam/media/correct_zpsf03b8537.gif.html)

playblair
05-13-2013, 12:09 AM
rebounding problems = solved .........................

http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/b241b0feb6df11e2a74422000a1ddb8e_7.jpg

Agloco
05-13-2013, 12:10 AM
For the fourth time in a row, we've lost the rebounding battle to a team that only has one real rebounder, Andrew Bogut. Why hasn't Pop taken advantage of the fact that Jackson likes playing small ball and gone with a Duncan-Splitter tandem? Whenever Jackson goes small, Pop always feels the need to match the Warriors by going with a small lineup himself. Why does Pop not take advantage of this and go big? Are there any other reasons for them outrebounding us, and what do you guys think the Spurs should do in order to outrebound the Warriors?

On to game 5!

Shooting 35.5% from the field contributes to the disparity.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Nothing gives, we are what we are and we have been what we have been! This is the Spurs now. This is not 03 with twin towers etc., the game has changes, win or lose the Spurs have changed too.

Boomersgold
05-13-2013, 12:15 AM
rebounding problems = solved .........................

http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/b241b0feb6df11e2a74422000a1ddb8e_7.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing Blair out there for a few minutes. He did play well in the first round against the Lakers....

SenorSpur
05-13-2013, 12:43 AM
This has indeed an issue all year long. Since this series started the Spurs continue to give up way too many offensive rebounds to such a smaller team. It's really sickening to watch.

Because rebounding is about effort and desire, it makes me wonder whether Pop emphasizes the need for his team, especially the bigs, to adhere to those fundamental tasks of seeking out an opposing body and boxing out? This frontline has failed repeatedly in doing so. While Diaw, Bonner and Splitter are notorious for not boxing out, Duncan has been guilty of the same, while lazily using just his arms to outstretch over people to secure rebounds. I'd like to see a bit more of Baynes and none of Bonner.

therealtruth
05-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Baynes

Gervin44Silas13
05-13-2013, 08:29 AM
This reminds me of the Memphis and Phx series... were we were outplayed

ThaBigFundamental21
05-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Pop needs to man up. Give Splitter more minutes, and I think he will game 5. Splitter has been working his way into this series from his injury. Blair should get a few more minutes, I honestly think this is a good team for Blair to do work against. He won't be completely overwhelmed with GS' size. Also, I think Pop should activate Baynes. Hell, what is 5 minutes going to hurt? If he plays well, give him 10.

EVAY
05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
They do a better job of rebounding than we do and there is no good excuse for it. We are not boxing out and we are getting beat to loose balls.

Tim has always said that he hates playing mid-day games because it doesn't work well with his bio rhythm. He normally naps at mid-day on game days. If that is the case, I wonder if a little red bull might help at half time. just kidding, just kidding.

When Bogut and Curry were both out and we couldn't go up by more than ten points it was clear that no one was going to step up for us with Parker being injured again.

We lost this game as a total team effort. The rebounding discrepancy was only made worse by the realization that Bogut only played 27 minutes.

The rebounding was bad, but not as bad as missing so many free throws. Even Manu couldn't make a single free throw, and he is usually terrific at it.

phxspurfan
05-13-2013, 12:55 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/2747.png&w=350&h=254

emanueldavidginobili
05-13-2013, 04:21 PM
there is no excuse to get out rebounded 65-51!!! that's ridiculous

Horry Hipcheck
05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Less Bonner. More Diaw and Baynes.