PDA

View Full Version : Top ten players since 80's

Mavs<Spurs
07-11-2005, 04:52 AM
watsup!
Hey, I was watchin Laker's-Sixers 1980 Finals where Kareem got hurt and Magic in his rookie season played center, scored 42 points, grabbed 15 boards, 7 assists and snatched the MVP and the Finals. It made me wonder who the best players since then were. Before the 90's, I really don't remember a whole lot, but they do show old games on NBA tv and ESPN Classic. Anything before that is way before my time and I'll stick to what I know. I couldn't say much about Cousy or Russell compared to Nash or Shaq or Stoudamare. I would be in way over my depth.

So, top ten players since 1980

(1) Jordan (obvious)
(2) Magic (should be obvious unless someone wants to be difficult)
(3) Bird (pretty clear)

Now, there seems to be a gap. They all worked really hard, had very high basketball iqs and made their teammates better, especially by their passing ability.
There is a gap here. Therefore, I think there is a lot of room for different opinions.

(4) Tim Duncan (a fourth ring seems almost inevitable, he is the center of the Spurs, hence a fourth ring for him means more than a fourth ring for a role player-)
(5) Shaq (three straight titles and a much better player-e.g. footwork, passing than is generally appreciated)
(6) Hakeem Olajuwon (one of the best centers- a quadruple double?)
(7) David Robinson (he clearly must be in here- this is a logical place)
(8) Julius Erving (he can't be out of this mix)
(9) Isiah (this spelling always bugs me) Thomas
(10) Kobe Bryant (three straight rings and Shaq needed him just like he needed Shaq)

I'll say one other thing that maybe a lot of people might think is dumb, but I still say it: I would take Tim Duncan over Larry Bird as a person to build a team around. Thats because I like an inside out game out though- that's strategy.

That's my opinion: what's yours?
:fro

SpursFanDan
07-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Thats almost impossible to say. If I made a list, which I won't..there would be alot of ties.

A.I?
Iceman?
Barkley?
Kareem?

Its seems that you only picked the players that have won rings...there are plenty of players who belong up there even though they havent won it all.

Mavs<Spurs
07-11-2005, 05:21 AM
Thats almost impossible to say. If I made a list, which I won't..there would be alot of ties.

A.I?
Iceman?
Barkley?
Kareem?

Its seems that you only picked the players that have won rings...there are plenty of players who belong up there even though they havent won it all.

well, of course, its just my opinion. My opinion's not written in stone or anything. No one really know for sure. That's part of the fun. I mean talkin about 2+2=4 isn't that exciting.

For me, winners win. The best players on the teams that won championships, all things being equal, in my opinion, were probably better than the best players on teams that didn't win championships. I don't think that in most cases the role players were more of a decisive factor than the role players. Usually Steve Kerr is shut down unless Michael Jordan gets so much attention that he is left open. ditto for John Paxson. Steve Kerr got the same benefit from playing with Tim Duncan. If the role players were so great, they would not be role players. Therefore, every player I picked on my top ten was one of the two best players on a team that at least two championship rings (with the single exception of Julius Erving).

In terms of Kareem, I really did consider him. However, the Lakers had Magic, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Divac, (different times of course). The Lakers won mainly because of Magic. Kareem in the 80's on seems a little behind Shaq, David, Hakeem, ... and the others in the list from the 80's on. Of course, I could be totally off base here about Kareem.

Mavs<Spurs
07-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Best starting five 80's on

point guard: Majic Johnson
shooting guard: Michael Jordan
small forward: Larry Bird
power forward: Tim Duncan
center: Shaquille O'Neal

That's my opinion
That's my starting five,
What's yours?
Whose team would win? Mine or yours?

timvp
07-11-2005, 06:12 AM
themanurules, please settle down on the new topics. Every thought shouldn't envoke a new topic on the board.

Thanks.

Spurologist
07-11-2005, 06:40 AM
PG: Magic man
SG: Air Jordan
SF: Bird man
PF: Ground Hog Day
C: Kareem/Shaq/Hakeem

That's the list. I win, everyone else loses. That's the list.

Mavs<Spurs
07-11-2005, 06:57 AM
themanurules, please settle down on the new topics. Every thought shouldn't envoke a new topic on the board.

Thanks.

I'll work on it. Ok. But it seems like there's not a lot out there posted to talk about. It doesn't have to be me. But don't you think it would be nice to see something up there to think about and discuss that's somewhat interesting and debatable. I was hoping to stir things up and get an interesting discussing going, with different points of view out there, kind of like a good conversation or something.

I mean its summer and I'm not into baseball or nascar. Football isn't bad, but it's not on. Besides I'm much more into hoops than football. Tennis is okay. Golf well that's pretty lame to watch and play. Summer is great to go shoot hoops, but its hard otherwise in terms of what to watch . So, I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of the current posts don't seem that interesting to me, there's not a lot out there in terms for guys who are mainly hoops fans and I think it's kind of like not getting my fix. But, if you and some other people put up some posts which are interesting and that people can talk about and discuss, then I'll definitely put up a lot fewer new threads. Besides, I thought of new post material and I didn't put it up since it bothered you ! (so that should make you very happy).

waly.mg
07-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Magic-Jordan-Pippen-Duncan-Shaq

Mavs<Spurs
07-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Magic-Jordan-Pippen-Duncan-Shaq

Your cartoon is cool!!!

ALVAREZ6
07-11-2005, 01:41 PM
How do you forget Magic Johnson?

Medvedenko
07-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Shaq
TD
Bird
Jordan
Magic

Bench
DRob
Barkley
Kobe
Nique
Ewing
Stockton

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Shaq
TD
Bird
Jordan
Magic

Bench
DRob
Barkley
Kobe
Nique
Ewing
Stockton

Umm, did you just put Ewing ahead of Hakeem? :rolleyes

Joesteds
07-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Mine is impartial and its not a true lineup according to positions but all were so great, you could put them anywhere.

PG- Jason Kidd - Man can just run the break and seems to effortlessly find the open man
SG- Michael Jordan - Greatest of all time
SF- Magic Johnson - Like I said, not really his position but the man played center and every other position on the court so he is fine
PF- Larry Bird - Only disagreement might be on his position
C- Hakeem Olajuwon - Proved he was the best against a younger Shaq and outdid Robinson in both of their primes

Still wish that pay-per-view with Shaq and the Dream going one-on-one would have happened.

Medvedenko
07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Oops...I should have inlcuded Hakeem over Ewing,...my mistake...sorry Knicks fans.

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
By position:

PG: Magic, Isiah
SG: Jordan, Kobe
SF: Bird, Dr. J
PF: Duncan, Malone
C: Hakeem, Shaq

Mavs<Spurs
07-11-2005, 03:36 PM
How do you forget Magic Johnson?

Didn't forget him! Go back and reread my list and what I wrote! He was second, right after Jordan.

tlongII
07-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Clyde Drexler has to be on the list.

midgetonadonkey
07-11-2005, 04:27 PM
By position:

Isiah over Stockton? I know he has a couple of rings but Stockton is the prototypical PG. He can shoot and nobody will ever come close to beating his all-time assists record.

Stockton 15,806 assists all-time. Closest active player, Gary Payton with 8,508.

FoxMulder
07-11-2005, 04:27 PM
By position:

SG: Jordan, Kobe
SF: Bird, Dr. J
PF: Duncan, Malone
C: Hakeem, Shaq

I would replace Malone with Barkley...

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I would replace Malone with Barkley...

You could go either way on that one. Barkley at his peak was probably better, but he was out of shape for most of his career. Malone was in top form for well over a decade, but was never quite as good as the '93 Barkley.

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Isiah over Stockton? I know he has a couple of rings but Stockton is the prototypical PG. He can shoot and nobody will ever come close to beating his all-time assists record.

Stockton 15,806 assists all-time. Closest active player, Gary Payton with 8,508.

For me, the deciding factor is that Isiah was the best player on a team that won 2 rings, and Stockton was the second banana on a team that never won a title.

But you're right, Stockton was an incredible player, and his career numbers are truly epic. Even his per-season assist numbers look like they belong to a different era.

FoxMulder
07-11-2005, 04:49 PM
You could go either way on that one. Barkley at his peak was probably better, but he was out of shape for most of his career. Malone was in top form for well over a decade, but was never quite as good as the '93 Barkley.

I know Malone stats were better is a matter of taste...

Barkley is a lot funnier than Malone...

:D

The Sports Philosopher
07-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Here's what I see as the most accurate ranking:

10. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
09. Karl Malone
08. David Robinson
07. Hakeem Olajuwan
06. Moses Malone
05. Shaquille O'Neal
04. Tim Duncan
03. Larry Bird
02. Magic Johnson
01. Michael Jordan

Starting Five: Mike, Magic, Larry, Timmy, and Shaq.

Since we're only ranking players based on their play during and after the 1980's , Kareem is #10. If we were including statistics and achievements from the 1970's as well, he'd be ahead of everyone on this list except Jordan, and certain other 1980's players (Julius Erving, e.g.) would replace some other members on the list above.

-TSP

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Barkley is a lot funnier than Malone...

I don't know... did you see the Seinfeld episode where Malone tried to act? :lol

FoxMulder
07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Nope, but I can figured out... :rollin :lol :D :bang

Timoha
07-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't know... did you see the Seinfeld episode where Malone tried to act? :lol

Wha?

Is this for real? (I can never tell the difference between a joke and sarcasm)

If so, what was his part?

MiNuS
07-11-2005, 05:22 PM
ok
teams that have won Champioships since the 80's best of the best:
Bulls,Lakers,Spurs,Pistons,Celtics,Rockets,and Sixers.

1Jordan 6 rings Best pure player of all time!
2Majic 5 championships best PG of all time
3Duncan 3 champioships and counting-best PF of all time
4Shaq 3 championships and 5 tot appearances in the finals; best C of all time
5Kareem leading scorer of all time on the 80's Lakers!
6Byrd 3 champioships and numerous appearances in the Finals
7Hakeem b2b champion;better than Isiah
8D Robinson helped Duncan on two champioships,one of the most athletic C
9Pippen best sidekick for the best dynasty in current history.

AND MR Big SHOT HIMSELF! ROBERT HORRY which helped Duncan,Shaq,and Hakeem win champioships!Best role player and clutch in the playoffs!

The BEST have to be EXCELLENT and not the ones that didn't get the ring.
As far as adding Kobe as helping Shaq,I rather put Pippen helping Jordan since they both won 6 championships.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-11-2005, 05:25 PM

Thanks.

Marcus Bryant anyone......??

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Wha?

Is this for real? (I can never tell the difference between a joke and sarcasm)

If so, what was his part?

Unsurprisingly for Seinfeld, he played Karl Malone trying to break into the acting biz like Jordan and Shaq had done.

(That is, IIRC. It's been a long time since I've seen the episode.)

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I must be mistaken about this, because IMDB doesn't have it listed on his filmography, though it does have several other things listed.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0540450/

I do like how he's listed as having a part as himself in the "miniseries" "The 2004 NBA Finals."

Marklar MM
07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
PG:Magic, Stockton
SG:Jordan, Reggie
SF:Bird, 'Nique(not sure if he was sf:()
PF: Duncan, Barkley
C:Shaq, Hakeem

I did not put Malone because, simply put, I felt he was behind Stockton.

bobbyjoe
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Duncan's great but putting him ahead of Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq as some have is just insane. Horry ranks Duncan third out of the 3 stars he's played with and he's said this as a Spur so that says a lot. If he has any reason to be biased, it's in favor of the teammate he's with now.

Duncan was 2-3 against Shaq in the playoffs and never played at a level Shaq did from 00-02 where he was just unbelievably dominant and drawing comparisons to Wilt. Shaq is arguably the best big man in NBA history. Shaq at his best is significantly better than Duncan at his best.

Duncan is basically a poor man's version of Hakeem. Hakeem was Duncan but with Robinson's athleticism to boot. Yes Duncan does have more rings but he didnt face the 86 Celtics in the Finals, he faced the 8th seeded Knicks, etc. The league is much more watered down now than in the Hakeem-DRob-MJ-Clyde-Karl and John-Barkley era. Hakeem at his best was just torching his contemporaries like Shaq, Ewing, and DRob in the playoffs, while Duncan holds his own but doesn't torch guys like Ben Wallace adn Rasheed Wallace. He shot 41% against them in the NBA FInals this yr and got lit up by Amare. Hakeem was miles better than Duncan defensively while offensively they are pretty close and with similar games.

Duncan vs. Kareem? Get real. Kareem in a landslide. Duncan is a top 15 player of all time. Top 10 is probably debatable, while Top 5 is simply laughable at this point at least.

I also think Stockton is underrated and def belongs on this list. I'd take him over Isiah despite the rings; it's not his fault the Mailman could never dliever in the clutch.

strangeweather
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Duncan vs. Kareem? Get real. Kareem in a landslide. Duncan is a top 15 player of all time. Top 10 is probably debatable, while Top 5 is simply laughable at this point at least.

Kareem is one of the most overrated players of all time who was a gifted scorer but a lousy defender and was lucky to play in an era when there wasn't a Russell or Robinson around to own him.

If you swapped their careers, Patrick Ewing would have all the same rings.

bobbyjoe
07-13-2005, 07:10 PM
How old are you? Bet you never saw Kareem play. Mayn consider Kareeem the single best player of all time and for good reason. Saying Ewing would be as successful is crazy. Ewing couldn't hold Kareem's jockstrap.

Banks91
07-13-2005, 07:14 PM
LOOL yo bobby joe, horry rated duncan third when it comes to hall of fame teammates

simply because shaq has gotten him 3 rings, hakeem got him 2, and duncan only 1.

He said when duncan gets him another one, he will move up the list.

bobbyjoe
07-14-2005, 01:20 AM
"Tim is good," said forward Robert Horry, who is going for his sixth championship ring when the NBA Finals begin in Texas on Thursday. "But it's hard to label him because each person brought a different thing to the game. To pick the best, you had to go with `Dream' (Hakeem Olajuwon) because he did some of the things [Shaquille O'Neal] did, he does some of the things Tim does. He has a combination of both of them, so you had to look at him as probably being the best."

slayermin
07-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Kareem won six championships. People seem to discount his contribution to those Laker teams. I still think he's the best center of all time.

The GOAT at each position:
Jabbar
Duncan
Bird
MJ
Magic