PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are hated

illusioNtEk
05-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Why are the Spurs hated so much across theUS? I have several Facebook/Twitter friends that reach from NY to IL, and FL and everyone of them hates the Spurs. I'm not from SA but been here for at least 5 years to get attached to the Spurs. My job requires me to Travel on a monthly basis and meet new friends and clients across US so this is how I meet these people. It's hard for me to post something about the Spurs as they all will gang up on me :wow

Is it the Fans? The Players? The color black?

Why are they all cheering the Warriors?

CitizenDwayne
05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Who cares?

BatManu20
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Everyone hates greatness. Nobody would hate us if we sucked.

Darius Bieber
05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
It's nothing new. People hate to see success, especially when it's not them/their town.

San Antonio is small market team. They don't generate money through jersey sales or media sales. There's no super-ego superstar like Durant, James, Bryant on the Spurs. They're all low key, stay cool types of guys. That's not entertainment. Casual, "across the country" NBA fans want a WWE type of entertainment in basketball. Running up and down, scoring at will, alley-oops. Spurs provide none of that. They provide (most of the time) solid, old school basketball.

Here's an image to help me explain:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKGdIW-CUAAoKzx.jpg

HarlemHeat37
05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Spurs aren't well-liked, but this series has more to do with the Warriors, tbh..

They're a young, exciting team with an underdog appeal..they are also a new team, which generally excites the average sports fan that begs for parity, tbh..

hater
05-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I'll start worrying when the average fat retard american starts liking them spurs. tbh

:tu

superbigtime
05-13-2013, 06:46 PM
fuck the haters and don't be a pussy.

cheguevara
05-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Why are the Spurs hated so much across theUS? I have several Facebook/Twitter friends that reach from NY to IL, and FL and everyone of them hates the Spurs. I'm not from SA but been here for at least 5 years to get attached to the Spurs. My job requires me to Travel on a monthly basis and meet new friends and clients across US so this is how I meet these people. It's hard for me to post something about the Spurs as they all will gang up on me :wow

that is why you don't have work people in your personal facebook/twitter account. For the life of me I don't understand people that mix their personal shit with their work shit. It's like shitting where you eat.

Man up and either find a new job, or defriend all of those damn pussies, of delete your accounts. Or have the balls to talk shit back to them. It's kinda pathetic you are scared to post Spurs related stuff

Budkin
05-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Best Goddamn Team Ever.

DarrinS
05-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Because they've been watching our big 3 in playoffs or finals for a over a decade

coachmac87
05-13-2013, 07:06 PM
GSW are the sexy pick right now. Young stars..fun to watch and other than OKC the league would probably want them in the Finals because that's would make them Cinderella..It's funny that cloud happen because Curry did the same thing in college..

Spurs in 6 tho

GrandeDavid
05-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Everyone hates greatness. Nobody would hate us if we sucked.

Spot on. Jealous dogs. And then when Duncan retires fools will then say how great the Spurs were. Wussies!

sananspursfan21
05-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Spurs are just like the Patriots in the NFL in that sense. People are sick of them winning all the time. Same with the Lakers, except they have a broader range of fans. If you're not a fan, you hate them, there's really no inbetween. Everyone wants to watch them get knocked off

Kidd K
05-13-2013, 07:50 PM
It's a combination of jealousy and media brainwashing.

When you watch ESPN, the Spurs are usually passed over in the highlights while they verbally blow the other team. ESPN's also tried to pawn them off as the "Yankees of the NBA" (which is complete bullshit btw) while trying to villify them as floppers when they don't do it any more than anyone else does. National broadcasts also tend to favor whoever they're playing against which will make casual viewers lean towards disliking them for winning.

Without just blaming the media though, I think they may also be disliked because they're made up of so many international players. These aren't "hometown boys", they're guys from France, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, the Virgin Islands, etc. Americans aren't going to like these guys more than they will american players. Spurs have also been good for a long time, so they will never really be viewed as underdogs until Duncan and/or Pop and maybe even Parker too are gone.

DatBoyGood
05-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Its just that everyone roots for the underdog team. Which in this case, everyone is so used to the spurs winning they enjoy it when they lose because it seems like a upset to them. Just like the memphis series back in 2011

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-13-2013, 08:30 PM
They can hate all they want!

pgardn
05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
They hate us because we are hard to hate winners.

Kobe, Lebron, MJ, Magic, the Lakers, Miami, the bad boys from Detroit... All so easy to identifiably hate.

The Spurs, how can we hate them? There is no salient reason. We bore them because we are difficult to hate. If you don't have a team, at least you can watch a series because you hate one team. And a team that has taken 4 championships and helped break up an easy to hate/love team (Kobe/Shaq Lakers)... Well damn them.

Ok. This has to be utterly impossible to follow.

Bill_Brasky
05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
that is why you don't have work people in your personal facebook/twitter account. For the life of me I don't understand people that mix their personal shit with their work shit. It's like shitting where you eat.

Man up and either find a new job, or defriend all of those damn pussies, of delete your accounts. Or have the balls to talk shit back to them. It's kinda pathetic you are scared to post Spurs related stuff

For real. You could literally troll those people with "4 rings faggot" every time...

ironman2886
05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Spurs are just like the Patriots in the NFL in that sense. People are sick of them winning all the time. Same with the Lakers, except they have a broader range of fans. If you're not a fan, you hate them, there's really no inbetween. Everyone wants to watch them get knocked off
This.
The Lakers,Yankees, and Dallas Cowboys are just in a different paradox. There are just so many of those fans(mostly bandwagoners.) I have to agree with the main reason though. It's that the Spurs are a small market and they have been great for a decade and a half. It's hard to take for the media and the average fan that hasn't seen the success for their team. I will also say that there are also a lot of fans that root for the Spurs on the side. They like the way the organization is run and the professionalism of the players.

Ice009
05-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Well, I've had to putting the games in mute the last couple of games because of the commentators. I've never really done that before, but the bias is getting ridiculous.

Anyone have a contact email address where I can complain about it with both ESPN and TNT?

SpurPadre
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
They are hated because carrying yourself with class, not playing streetball, not showboating, not being tatted up from the face down, and not acting like wannabe gangsters is frowned upon by ESPN and since ESPN says it isn't cool, many brainless people who watch them figure they should hate them too.

ironman2886
05-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, I've had to putting the games in mute the last couple of games because of the commentators. I've never really done that before, but the bias is getting ridiculous.

Anyone have a contact email address where I can complain about it with both ESPN and TNT?
Not a damn thing we can do about it. This team has overstayed their welcome for success to the media. They havent seen anything like this. A small market team still in the conversation for a championship since Duncan was drafted(1997.) A sports franchise that works at picking up older free agents(never making a slash in trades,) drafting late in the draft, and having the franchise players take pay cuts? It's unbelievable. Absolute professionalism. I think former players and coaches are taking offense to it honestly. Spurs just have to whoop some ass, and make a statement.

Spur|n|Austin
05-13-2013, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzSUo8iPp4M

SpurPadre
05-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Not a damn thing we can do about it. This team has overstayed their welcome for success to the media. They havent seen anything like this. A small market team still in the conversation for a championship since Duncan was drafted(1997.) A sports franchise that works at picking up older free agents(never making a slash in trades,) drafting late in the draft, and having the franchise players take pay cuts? It's unbelievable. Absolute professionalism. I think former players and coaches are taking offense to it honestly. Spurs just have to whoop some ass, and make a statement.

The thing is...I was at the game yesterday but DVR'd it just in case I happened to get some camera time seeing as how I was one of the very few people donning Spurs gear there! Any ways, besides having to put up with shit talk from the Dubs fans, I actually talked to some classy fans there and they acknowledged the out of bounds call at the end was bullshit and that TP was also noticeably not 100% not just Curry. So, I get home and watch the game and hear Hubie Brown go out of his way to jump to conclusions about calls to favor the Warriors, him saying "Unfortunately" whenever something didn't go in their favor, saying "there you go!" whenever they made big buckets and even declare that TP was not adversely affected by his calf bruise but that Curry was clearly dealing with injury. His bias against the Spurs was so obvious, I couldn't help but laugh. That's life as a Spurs fan, tbh.

ironman2886
05-13-2013, 09:52 PM
There's no agenda that these commentators and analysts go by. That's just how they personally feel. Fans and the media want to see different teams go on and have success. I honestly believe that former players and coaches are jealous that the Spurs are still having success. Like I said, Spurs just have to whoop some ass and send a message.

ballhog
05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Yeah, the announcers are on the GSW bandwagon this year. GSW have stars in the making and that's the NBA markets itself on. Fundamental play ain't sexy.

Andthentherewas21
05-13-2013, 09:59 PM
The thing is...I was at the game yesterday but DVR'd it just in case I happened to get some camera time seeing as how I was one of the very few people donning Spurs gear there! Any ways, besides having to put up with shit talk from the Dubs fans, I actually talked to some classy fans there and they acknowledged the out of bounds call at the end was bullshit and that TP was also noticeably not 100% not just Curry. So, I get home and watch the game and hear Hubie Brown go out of his way to jump to conclusions about calls to favor the Warriors, him saying "Unfortunately" whenever something didn't go in their favor, saying "there you go!" whenever they made big buckets and even declare that TP was not adversely affected by his calf bruise but that Curry was clearly dealing with injury. His bias against the Spurs was so obvious, I couldn't help but laugh. That's life as a Spurs fan, tbh.

To be fair, there is no telling if Hubie is even aware of what he's saying anymore. The guy is nearly 80 and is clearly going down the path of dementia and senility. Half the stuff that he says is outdated by about 5 years anyways. The dubs story this season is just more media-worthy than the spurs. Young upstart team with a bright future, going against the aging-core of a team that in over the last decade has already accomplished more than 99% of NBA teams will during the life of their franchises.

Venti Quattro
05-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Because they are boring. But they're winning so that's beside the point.

SpurPadre
05-13-2013, 10:11 PM

They were a top 5 scoring team this year. How is that boring? Oh yeah, they don't pose after a play, or throw up gang signs, or flex their muscles, have players with full bodied tats nicknamed birdman, or rape women in hotels. I forgot that's the definition of basketball for some people.

SpurPadre
05-13-2013, 10:18 PM
To be fair, there is no telling if Hubie is even aware of what he's saying anymore. The guy is nearly 80 and is clearly going down the path of dementia and senility. Half the stuff that he says is outdated by about 5 years anyways. The dubs story this season is just more media-worthy than the spurs. Young upstart team with a bright future, going against the aging-core of a team that in over the last decade has already accomplished more than 99% of NBA teams will during the life of their franchises.

Or could it be that we swept his ass the one year the team faced a Hubie-coached team in the playoffs and he's just bitter about it?

ironman2886
05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
I always watch games muted. It's that easy. NFL games especially. Sean Elliott even bugs me, and he's a Spurs fan. So there's no bias here.

HI-FI
05-13-2013, 10:41 PM

i think this is fundamentally it....to the powers that be, including Stern, we've overstayed our welcome. They're always looking for new stories, new drama to profit from, and we don't give them that.

what's funny is I'm a sucker for underdogs, but also love that Spurs hang around like herpes. I also support the team because i'm a fan of the culture and the colors of the team, plus of my connection to SA. But I imagine for other people who want something new al the time to keep them interested, the Spurs piss them off. Those types can fuck off.

i almost emailed them after last night's game. I like Hubie but that old fuck was pissing me off royally. It's pretty obvious ESPN is pulling for GS after we knocked out their Lakers and we bore them to death.

But I didn't email, i just let their propaganda go. however I think this is the contact page
https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex

DJR210
05-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Lol, the amount of Warriors dick sucking this series has been sickening.

Hubie Brown might as well come out and admit he's blowing Curry. Not too often on a National telecast you hear an announcer specifically call out a player for flopping. Not mention the possibility, but flat out dismiss a player for flopping. Sounded like he blew his wad in his depend when Curry made that 1st three to start the 3rd. "There you go." in his sick old pervert voice.

Let's not even get started on the suck-dick-o-meter..

lefty
05-13-2013, 11:05 PM
:cry they hate us
:cry ESPN hates us
:cry they are so mean

Sean Cagney
05-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Best Goddamn Team Ever.

I love em to death! YES SIR!

Thebesteva
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Cuz Spurs need swag like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSH--pRkQU

Poolboy5623
05-13-2013, 11:39 PM
All the spurs hate Is why a spurs vs heat finals would be so intriguing...come on stern..I mean spurs, make it happen! Or maybe ole David is concerned about said matchup(no one but fans in Miami and S.A. would watch)...I for one, think it'd get great ratings...not that I give a f, really.

Man In Black
05-14-2013, 01:15 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/tim-duncan-we-dont-get-that-respect/

The San Antonio Express-News has a terrific Q&A with the Spurs’ Big Three, and while covering a number of topics, they discuss the reasons why their group seems to lack the proper respect (and historical ranking) among the greatest teams of all-time: “Where do you think the three of you should be regarded among the great trios in NBA history?
TP: ‘Yeah, that’s a GREAT question, because I’m watching the game last night (Miami’s Big Three had played its preseason opener the night before) and it shows all the best Big Threes — Chicago, Boston, the Lakers. After that, there’s a hole and it goes straight to Miami. I don’t know why they never put us on that list. It’s not like it’s gonna bother me, because I have the rings and I’ll sleep well at night. But they just don’t want to put us up there.’
TD: ‘That’s how it always is. Even in the midst of us winning championships every other year, every year we started we’d be like the No. 5 team on the list to win it. That’s the way it is in San Antonio, for whatever reason. We don’t get that respect.’
TP: ‘I always say if we did what we did in New York, we’d be gods right now.’
TD: ‘It would be crazy.’
TP: ‘I think the fact that me and Manu are international players, I don’t think we get the same respect. Because we’re not from America, I think that’s why we’re not considered up there with the Bostons, or the Lakers or Chicago.’
TD: ‘It’s a conspiracy theory.’”

chapnis
05-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Makes it that much sweeter when the Spurs do win tbh, suck it up and move on.

lefty
05-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Cuz Spurs need swag like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSH--pRkQU
Ginobiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :lmao

DJR210
05-14-2013, 02:58 AM
"Cuz I got swag" - This guy needs to give a pre-game speech tbh.

Legacy
05-14-2013, 03:10 AM
Simple. Because The Spurs keep kicking their favorite teams' asses over and over again, year after fucken' year. :rollin

:cry My team will never get their chance with The Spurs still around. :cry

pookenstein
05-14-2013, 03:15 AM
... or rape women in hotels.

Is it just me, or is somebody else also waiting for Cully to come and say:
"You have nary room. Your Neal raped as well."

mudyez
05-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Who cares?

Hubie will die soon.
Dubs won't win shit this year.
We probably wouldn't either.
Dubs will fall apart in the next 2-3 years.

I rather love a hated team than any other. If you like Miami everyone is calling you out as a bandwaggoner or frontrunner. If you like Charlotte, everybody is just laughing about you.

I love where we are even though its funny that we are the "bad guys" while other teams have real thugs, rapists and so on on their roster!

temujin
05-14-2013, 05:20 AM
This is my thinking.

1) Non US-born players. AND a non US-president electing player. The US invented 3 sports. For two, the rest of the planet doesn't give a figue about. One is more popular elsewhere. For decades there was no question that the Alien Citizens could even remotely compete in basketball. American sport if there is one. It was originally the Spurs that acknowledged how much talent there was elsewhere. They went out and made some Alien Citizens the cornerstone of the winningest franchise in NBA history.

2) Team. Despite the retorics, the whole US society is based on the individual. Hence the interest, which I always found inexplicable, in "whose player this team belongs to". Even for the Spurs: It's Duncan team. No, not anymore, now it Parker's team. Who gets credit for what.
Spurs are hammering: who cares, basketball is a team sport. Pop reminded this brutally a week ago. "Parker's defense? Neither I nor Toni couldn't care less what we get credit for, it's the team that advances"

3) The style of play. Historically, defense first (borìng according to the casual ignorant fan). Now more offense, but still not the type of flashy stuff that ends up in highlights. No circus shot, no frills, no 360, few dunks (the ones that are necessary), no BS. Play the game the way the game is supposed to be played.
That's exactly the OPPOSITE that the NBA has been advertising during the Stern era.

4) Pop. The US media will tell you they love him. His humour and everything. They don't, because he is simply brutal with them. He treats them like the crap parasites most are, really. He makes no attempt to hide what he thinks of them. He travelled a lot, he knows the world, he speaks other languages, he drinks wine, not beer. He even own a winery, no less.

In essence, the Spurs are the most unamerican organization in the NBA, probably in US sports.
And they are successful.

5) Marginally, but still a bit it's there (based on what I know about the US). Texas. And the Bush years did nothing to improve what other parts of the US feel about this state.

Mal
05-14-2013, 05:28 AM
They were a top 5 scoring team this year. How is that boring? Oh yeah, they don't pose after a play, or throw up gang signs, or flex their muscles, have players with full bodied tats nicknamed birdman, or rape women in hotels. I forgot that's the definition of basketball for some people.

I still dont get how Blake Griffin is so beloved or his fellow CP3. Griffin is monkeyballer who wont win shit in this league. CP3 is flopper who wont win shit int his league.

chapnis
05-14-2013, 05:31 AM
The Spurs un-American-ism is one of the things I love about the team tbh.

And what most people fail to realise is that the casual NBA fan or average fan loves the highlights plays and doesn't care that much about 'the game of basketball' per se.

BillMc
05-14-2013, 05:45 AM
As well documented here, we're seldom the object of appreciation by media or fans outside of Texas (and perhaps France and Argentina). ESPN's latest poll shows 2/3 of the the voters believe the Dubs will win this series. Seems high, but that's the story. Last round was about the "fall of the Lakers" this round is the "rise of the Warriors (and Curry in particular)." Spurs are never the main story. We're Frazier, anyone we play is Ali. The story is about the other guy, no matter our own greatness.

That said, here in Kharkov, Ukraine I ran into a guy on the subway with a Blair jersey about 2 weeks ago. So, Spurs fans are out there....

racm
05-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Let them hate.

Cause the Spurs will continue winning as long as Timmy D, Tony P, Manu, and Pop are around.

ErnestLynch
05-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Still only ranked 41st in all time hated teams in sports. New York Yankees are number 1. Nothing wrong with being hated. Generally it means you're winning.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1323519-the-50-most-hated-teams-in-sports/page/51

The Reckoning
05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
lol mavs more hated

ErnestLynch
05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Why Spurs fans are perplexed at being hated is they don't understand how a team that has never had 'issues' and is seen as squeeky clean personalities can be hated. How do you 'hate' David Robinson ? Or Tim Duncan ? They're not. When people say they 'hate the Spurs' what they really mean is ...I wish I could find a reason to hate them, but since I can't, I'll just make something up because everyone needs to be hated by somebody.

And further, what they often mean is...I don't like the city of San Antonio. This is why I personally hate Dallas. I don't hate the Mavericks. I like to see them lose because ...I hate Dallas. I think the place is over-rated and highly sucks.

gasolina
05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Not exactly. It all depends on who you deal with. For instance here in Southern California, most locals regardless of race/ethnicity,etc. root for the Lakers or Clippers but if you ask non-locals or tourists from around the globe, they'd have other preferences. I have a friend who is Belgian who owns a Pastry shop -- he is a Spurs fan. My neighbor, a German, roots for the Mavs and Nowitzi plus he likes the Spurs too. Even my workmates who are mostly Hispanic admire the Spurs. If the Lakers don't win, they'd accept the Spurs if they go on to win it all as long as it isn't the Heat and LBJ.
The Spurs are nowhere near the hate levels people have on the Miami Heat. If its hatred you are talking about with regard to one team -- no team is as hated these days than the Miami Heat.

moisaenz
05-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Spurs are not hated the media is just indifferent to the franchise, small market team, no flashy players, no drama to get ratings from.

ErnestLynch
05-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Oh for sure. Some of those teams listed, the Raiders of the 80's...that was a hated team. Lots of factors but the Spurs are nowhere near the top of the hate list of teams. Cowboys are despised outside of Texas and Oklahoma. Despised. Lakers, despised in many parts of this here US of A. I still say the problem the Spurs have is where they are. You know there are sports journalists cringing at the thought of coming to San Antonio or even Memphis really. If it was up to them, it would be all NY, Miami, Chicago, LA 24x7. ESPN spent hours on the Knicks losses.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-23-2013, 10:21 PM
If the Finals were Spurs vs. Heat, would people really root for the Spurs?

ErnestLynch
05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I think they will. I think the Heat are more despised than the Spurs.

PublicOption
05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Its the simple fact the nobody WANTS to care about a team from South Texas. The more we win the more they are forced to accept it and they just refuse to do so. Isn't it crazy Popovich has only lost 3 series where he won the first game out of 22. 2 of those work complete rip offs after we were up 2-0.....when the spurs lose playoff series it is so obvious the league is trying to put us down it becomes a roller derby match......but nobody but us care. If we were Boston, LA, or New York we would have 8-10 championships.

TampaDude
05-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Spurs are not hated the media is just indifferent to the franchise, small market team, no flashy players, no drama to get ratings from.

^ this, tbh

Shastafarian
05-25-2013, 09:41 AM

meh 0/10

Ok guess not.

Man In Black
05-25-2013, 09:43 AM
This is my thinking.

Here are my points on your points :)

1) Non US-born players. AND a non US-president electing player. The US invented 3 sports. For two, the rest of the planet doesn't give a figue about. One is more popular elsewhere. For decades there was no question that the Alien Citizens could even remotely compete in basketball. American sport if there is one. It was originally the Spurs that acknowledged how much talent there was elsewhere. They went out and made some Alien Citizens the cornerstone of the winningest franchise in NBA history.
Instead of the word Alien, you could have just used the term international but I agree with you AND Tony Parker.

2) Team. Despite the retorics, the whole US society is based on the individual. Hence the interest, which I always found inexplicable, in "whose player this team belongs to". Even for the Spurs: It's Duncan team. No, not anymore, now it Parker's team. Who gets credit for what.
Spurs are hammering: who cares, basketball is a team sport. Pop reminded this brutally a week ago. "Parker's defense? Neither I nor Tony couldn't care less what we get credit for, it's the team that advances"
In short, they don't play HERO BALL.

3) The style of play. Historically, defense first (borìng according to the casual ignorant fan). Now more offense, but still not the type of flashy stuff that ends up in highlights. No circus shot, no frills, no 360, few dunks (the ones that are necessary), no BS. Play the game the way the game is supposed to be played.
That's exactly the OPPOSITE that the NBA has been advertising during the Stern era.
Yet the 4 letter likes to kneel at the Altar of Coach K and Duke Basketball. The Spurs run a program too. They run a collegiate program that has been upscaled to fit the pro game.

4) Pop. The US media will tell you they love him. His humour and everything. They don't, because he is simply brutal with them. He treats them like the crap parasites most are, really. He makes no attempt to hide what he thinks of them. He travelled a lot, he knows the world, he speaks other languages, he drinks wine, not beer. He even own a winery, no less.
The Sports Illustrated article profiling Pop tells you that he will talk but like he tells his team, keep the focus on basketball.

In essence, the Spurs are the most unamerican organization in the NBA, probably in US sports.
And they are successful.h

No...they actually play the game the way it should be played, the way you want your kids to play as they get into team sports, the way that shows TEAMWORK means something. Sadly, for the instant gratification 4-Letter network and the masses that follow them, they think that that is boring even if it's the same way that College teams win.

5) Marginally, but still a bit it's there (based on what I know about the US). Texas. And the Bush years did nothing to improve what other parts of the US feel about this state.
I don't think Texas is an issue, Bush or Not....Now if you said Washington DC or Wall Street NYC, then I could agree.