PDA

View Full Version : Shareef rejects Milwaukee bucks

ducks
07-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Shareef rejects
Milwaukee bucks

The Nets got good news when Shareef Abdur-Rahim turned down a $47 million pact to join the Milwaukee Bucks, according to his agent.

Aaron Goodwin said yesterday his client still is searching for the best possible deal and ideal situation. Milwaukee, meanwhile, will give its five-year, $47 million offer to the Clippers' Bobby Simmons.

Sacramento, San Antonio and Miami can - like the Nets - offer Abdur-Rahim their mid-level exception worth roughly $5 million. But unlike those teams, the Nets can offer Portland their trade exception, worth nearly $5 million, in a sign-and-trade for Abdur-Rahim.

The exception is attractive for capped out teams and can be packaged with cash and or draft picks. The Nets likely will have to execute a sign-and-trade to land Abdur-Rahim since it would allow him to sign a six-year contract worth up to $38 million. That is a year and $10 million more than teams can offer the 6-9 power forward through the mid-level exception.

"It comes down to Portland," Goodwin said.

The Nets cannot afford to wait too long for Abdur-Rahim, who is currently visiting Sacramento, to make up his mind. Their trade exception expires on July 29 and free agent power forwards Donyell Marshall and Stromile Swift - the Nets' second options - might be off the market by then.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/326924p-279486c.html

ducks
07-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Shareef seeking more from Nets
Monday, July 11, 2005

By AL IANNAZZONE
STAFF WRITER

The Nets may need to do better than the midlevel exception to get Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Aaron Goodwin, Abdur-Rahim's agent, said the Nets must convince Portland to take their $4.9 million trade exception in a sign-and-trade if they want to land the free agent forward.

"It has to be a sign-and-trade," Goodwin said. "There are quite a few teams offering the midlevel. For Shareef to come, he definitely would have to get that trade exception, and get the full extent of that trade exception."

The full extent would be a six-year, $38 million deal, as opposed to a five-year, $28 million pact via the midlevel. Abdur-Rahim already turned down a five-year, $47 million offer from the Bucks, who then gave it to Bobby Simmons.

Abdur-Rahim, who visited the Nets last week, was in Sacramento on Sunday. He could go to another city later this week. Miami, San Antonio and Houston are among the teams expressing interest.

The Nets don't want to lose out on other free agent big men such as Donyell Marshall and Stromile Swift while they wait. They also would like to get penetrating guard Keyon Dooling and perhaps Darius Songaila in free agency.

Nets president Rod Thorn said it's "certainly possible" that the Nets could give Abdur-Rahim a deadline to decide, or they could step up the pursuit of the other free agents.

"We're talking, and that's the extent of it," Goodwin said. "I don't look at it as a situation where they can really deliver too much of an ultimatum. Shareef is looking at it as a great opportunity. But if he walked away from $47 million, I'm sure he'd walk away from [$38 million] for a longer period of time."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjgmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3MjE5NTkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 08:55 AM
"It comes down to Portland," Goodwin said.

Indeed. What the article fails to mention is that if Portland likes someone off of the Kings, Spurs or Heat then a sign and trade can be executed and the Nets will be SOL.

That trade exception allows the Nets to give Abdur-Rahim a 6th year, which is why it's important for the Nets that they execute a deal with Portland using it.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Abdur-Rahim, who visited the Nets last week, was in Sacramento on Sunday. He could go to another city later this week. Miami, San Antonio and Houston are among the teams expressing interest.

Imagine that.

Mr. Body
07-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Imagine what? That's a significant list. Not much there except Marcus Bryant's imagination.

ducks
07-11-2005, 09:12 AM
he is looking around a 5 year deal
do you give that to sar?
also it says he turned down a 47 million dollar deal
is he looking for the max?

Mr. Body
07-11-2005, 09:15 AM
also it says he turned down a 47 million dollar deal
is he looking for the max?

No, he rejected Milwaukee. Who will only sniff the playoffs in the next couple years. The other teams on the list are virtual locks - yes, even New Jersey. (Possibly not Sacramento.)

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 09:16 AM
No, imagine that the Spurs continue to be reported as a team interested in Abdur-Rahim. Of course, we cannot discuss that because we must only discuss signings and transactions here that are guaranteed to happen.

The Spurs are interested, Nesterovic's future in SA is looking rather bleak and Portland has had interest in him in the past year.

Figure it out.

Mr. Body
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Figure it out.

Nothing's changed at all from this article. Just that Milwaukee got a "No."

Report says Shareef got a cold staying at the Metropark Hilton, Marcus Bryant says, "OMG!! There's no way he's not a Spur nowz!!!"

It gets a bit silly, though I suppose there's some fun in that.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Much better in recognizing that a sign and trade is a possibility and that the Spurs apparently have an interest in him than being ignorant of the cap and telling people not to have discussions in an online discussion forum. Now that's silly.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
07-11-2005, 10:15 AM
From Oregonlive.com ("Blazer Blog"):

The New York Post reports (http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/49812.htm) Shareef Abdur-Rahim was very impressed with the tour the Nets gave him:

"It went real well, I thought," Abdur-Rahim said yesterday after returning home to Atlanta, where he claimed he hopes to have a decision by the end of the week.

"Everyone was so nice, and the area was great. We saw homes and schools. I had no idea New Jersey was so nice. And this quote indicates the Blazers may not be interested in taking back players in a sign-and-trade for SAR:

Team president Rod Thorn admitted, "We've had conversations" with the Blazers, who would likely get a draft pick and some money in the deal. Portland is said to not want players back, which gives the Nets, with their trade exception, a bit of an edge in sign-and-trade scenarios.

ducks
07-11-2005, 10:20 AM
spurs could trade scola for sar

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Whoohoo! Come on, vBookie!

constantstate
07-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Aaron Goodwin, Abdur-Rahim's agent, said the Nets must convince Portland to take their $4.9 million trade exception in a sign-and-trade if they want to land the free agent forward.

"It has to be a sign-and-trade," Goodwin said. "There are quite a few teams offering the midlevel. For Shareef to come, he definitely would have to get that trade exception, and get the full extent of that trade exception."

its there if they want him, its up to portland really, isnt it? they dont have to do squat if they dont want to... so they're the ones that are probably calling other teams to see what they want to offer for him. (teams that he'd want to go to) like sa.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Nothing's changed at all from this article. Just that Milwaukee got a "No."

Report says Shareef got a cold staying at the Metropark Hilton, Marcus Bryant says, "OMG!! There's no way he's not a Spur nowz!!!"

It gets a bit silly, though I suppose there's some fun in that.

I never said he was going to be a Spur nor have I been excited about it either way. The difference is that the possibility is worthy of discussion, something you yet seem unable to grasp.

Mr. Body
07-11-2005, 07:57 PM
I never said he was going to be a Spur nor have I been excited about it either way.

Oh, c'mon, dude. You've been riding his jock for a couple weeks now.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-11-2005, 08:13 PM
The guy wants to start. He isn't going to start with the Spurs.

The guy wants the full MLE, the Spurs better not spend the full MLE on that dude.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Oh, c'mon, dude. You've been riding his jock for a couple weeks now.

All I have done is discuss how he could end up in SA given the current situation. That doesn't mean that I am "excited" about it at all.

Try again.

Russ
07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Shareef, like any other player (or you or I) will take the team that can offer him the most money. Period.

To quote the legendary Deep Throat, "Follow the money."

Figure out who can offer the most and let your analysis go from there.

Mr. Body
07-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Russ, I disagree on your point. I believe truly Shareef would take less money in order to play in the postseason for the first time in his career. That's why he said no to Milwaukee.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Shareef, like any other player (or you or I) will take the team that can offer him the most money. Period.

To quote the legendary Deep Throat, "Follow the money."

Figure out who can offer the most and let your analysis go from there.

It depends on Portland. If they like Radoslav, the Spurs could offer more than New Jersey. The Nets are pinning their hopes on a sign and trade using a trade exception so that they are able to offer SAR a 6th guaranteed year.

constantstate
07-11-2005, 10:27 PM
It depends on Portland. If they like Radoslav, the Spurs could offer more than New Jersey. The Nets are pinning their hopes on a sign and trade using a trade exception so that they are able to offer SAR a 6th guaranteed year.
the nets can also throw in another player and get sar even more money.

Russ
07-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Russ, I disagree on your point. I believe truly Shareef would take less money in order to play in the postseason for the first time in his career. That's why he said no to Milwaukee.
I thought Milwaukee could only offer the MLE and New Jersey could offer more.

Anyway, I think a player who has been on losing teams for years is actually less likely to take a cut to go to a contender. Call it getting used to a situation. Call it inertia if you want. Call it "Clipperitis." Whatever. That's just my suspicion based on what I've seen from guys who've been with one losing team after another over the years.

Johnny Tightlips
07-11-2005, 10:31 PM
who says i been makin' an offer to shareef abdur rahim?

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 10:35 PM
the nets can also throw in another player and get sar even more money.

If the Spurs move Radoslav they can offer SAR a 6 year deal starting at $8.5 mil, for example.

Sure, again, it's up to Portland. If they can work out something with the Nets then SAR will get more than the MLE for 5 years.

constantstate
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
If the Spurs move Radoslav they can offer SAR a 6 year deal starting at $8.5 mil, for example.

Sure, again, it's up to Portland. If they can work out something with the Nets then SAR will get more than the MLE for 5 years.
i thought if the nets used their trade exception, they could get him another year? i read something about that and another player earlier.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Correct, which is why I wrote:

If Portland will not take back a player from the Nets but will 'take' the trade exception (plus picks and/or cash) then the most the Nets can give SAR would be a deal starting at the MLE for 6 years. If Portland will take a player back (in addition to the trade exception), then the Nets would (edit: they would not be at all. The Nets would only be able to offer SAR the exact value of what they send back to Portland. That would be the $4.9 mil plus the salary of whatever player(s) the Nets trade to Portland.) be able to offer SAR a deal starting at 125% of the value they send back to Portland + $100K for 6 years

constantstate
07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
i know he isnt going anywhere for the mle. his agent even says its gonna be a sign and trade for nj. i think its up to portland and what they want (like i said before) because at this point nj's offer is on the table. portland doesnt have to do anything just to "be nice".

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 10:58 PM
i know he isnt going anywhere for the mle. his agent even says its gonna be a sign and trade for nj. i think its up to portland and what they want (like i said before) because at this point nj's offer is on the table. portland doesnt have to do anything just to "be nice".

Certainly and I would expect that they will drag this out long enough until they get something worthwhile out of it, such as pick(s) and/or cash.

A point of clarification. I was wrong in that the Nets could sign SAR to a deal of 125% of the total value they would send to Portland in a sign and trade using their $4.9 million trade exception.

So it still would be tough for the Nets to match or beat an offer by another club that had a player the Blazers might want (ie Nesterovic).

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Here's a way to look at it. If Portland would accept Nesterovic in a sign and trade for SAR, then the max the Spurs would be able to offer SAR would be a 6 year guaranteed deal starting at 125% of Nesterovic's 2005-06 salary of $6.76 million plus $100K. That amounts to $8.5 million in the first year.

For the Nets to be able to do the same, they would have to get Portland to take back $3.6 million in player salary.

If, for example, the Blazers would accept Ron Mercer and Jacque Vaughn back (assuming that Mercer hasn't exercised his option) then that would give the Nets an extra $2.5 million or so to offer SAR above the $4.9 millon trade exception. Both Mercer and Vaughn have contracts that end after the 2005-06 season. Besides those two, I don't see anyone else they would want to trade to Portland. Honestly, if the Nets could offer SAR a 6 year deal starting at $7.4 million I would think that would be good enough if he really is interested in signing with the Nets.

So anyways, the Nets are in a tight spot if another team shows up with some player(s) the Blazers like, is interested in SAR, willing to give SAR such a contract and, of course, SAR would like to sign with them.

constantstate
07-11-2005, 11:38 PM
hollinger brought up zoran planinic as a player they'd trade to portland to give him more $$$. and he seems to think they could sign him to another year too. (with the trade exception)

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 11:50 PM
hollinger brought up zoran planinic as a player they'd trade to portland to give him more $$$.

Assuming that Portland would take him back, in addition to Mercer and Vaughn, then the Blazers would be able to match what the Spurs could offer under the hypothetical scenario of Rasho to Portland.

In the end, I suspect that the Nets will end up sending a player or two plus some cash to defray some or all of their salaries plus perhaps a pick or two if SAR decides on the Nets.

and he seems to think they could sign him to another year too. (with the trade exception)

All that matters is that a trade occurs. That is what will enable SAR to receive a 6th year.

constantstate
07-11-2005, 11:56 PM
yeah but do you think portland wants mercer or vaughn. how many people would? its still up to portland. (if sars wants more than mle money) unless he signs with the few clubs left under the cap. portland/nate are probably looking at contenders and seeing what they can get for him. otherwise i think they'll let him walk without anything in return (or maybe at the very least - just nj exception)

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2005, 11:59 PM
yeah but do you think portland wants mercer or vaughn. how many people would?

Not many. That's why I think that the Nets would be sending some cash to Portland.

its still up to portland. (if sars wants more than mle money) unless he signs with the few clubs left under the cap.

Absolutely. Portland has some significant leverage in this scenario. If they are interested in a player another team is willing to give up (ie Rasho) then they can wreck the Nets' plans.

portland/nate are probably looking at contenders and seeing what they can get for him. otherwise i think they'll let him walk without anything in return (or maybe at the very least - just nj exception)

Indeed. The one thing that NJ has going for them is the trade exception. But to get Portland to the table they will have to offer something, be it a pick(s) or cash.

constantstate
07-12-2005, 12:01 AM
you know theres still the chance that nate might see a rasho as insurance... and also something valuable to add to trades in the future. (and when they want to dump contracts) putting a package together with a "big" is always better.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Portland was interested in Nesterovic last season. Put that together with the reported interest of the Spurs in SAR and SAR's longstanding interest in the Spurs.

If the Spurs were really interested in SAR and willing to significantly commit to him, they could screw up the Nets' plans.

constantstate
07-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Portland was interested in Nesterovic last season. Put that together with the reported interest of the Spurs in SAR and SAR's longstanding interest in the Spurs.

If the Spurs were really interested in SAR and willing to significantly commit to him, they could screw up the Nets' plans.

i agree. the only thing that threw me was him telling nj to expect an answer within a week. hasnt that come and gone already? (if not, its getting there)