PDA

View Full Version : my hope with Green, Kawhi, & Parker matchups

K-State Spur
05-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Play Green on Curry every minute Steph is in the game. Kawhi shadows Thompson throughout.

Let Parker guard Barnes - and do NOT help. I can live with the Warriors running their offense through the rookie's back to the basket game (something he has yet to show in college or NBA) 12 feet from the rim. Even in Barnes' "breakout" game on Sunday, he was 6 for 21 midway through the 4th. He's not that far removed from the guy who averaged 9 points on 44/36/76 during regular season. The only time he has really hurt the Spurs is when they're caught rotating and he gets a WIDE open perimeter shot.

Kawhi was on Thompson for majority of games 3 & 4 and Thompson didn't get a clean look (save for a couple friendly bounces, but virtually nothing in the halfcourt). Warrior fans want to call those "off" games for Thompson, but he's more likely to repeat those than his Game 2 performance if he continues to get the same looks that he did over the weekend.

Green has done a great job on Curry, even when Steph had two healthy ankles. Pop has dicked around with Parker on Curry for stretches, and this is inevitably where Steph manages to hit a few shots. Not Parker's fault, Curry's hitting virtually any shot he can get off - but he has literally struggled to get his shot off clean vs. Green's length.

SpursRock20
05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I can agree with this. Pop will probably start Parker on Curry though.

By the way, it's Steph (Stephen) Curry, not Seth. Seth is his brother :toast

K-State Spur
05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Damn, I did that every time in the post - my only excuse is that I live in the shadow of Durham.

Spurs da champs
05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Barnes was killer, despite the shooting line, he was instrumental in the Warrior's comeback. I'd rather Parker guard Curry till the closing minutes because Parker is just getting abused by Barnes.

CitizenDwayne
05-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I really don't see why Pop doesn't play Green on Curry the entire game.

Richie
05-14-2013, 04:49 PM
You want to guard Barnes in the post with Parker, and send no help? You're an idiot. Barnes would score a layup every time, there is nothing Parker could do to defend him in the post 1-on-1. Not to mention he would probably be able to rebound any time he missed

freetiago
05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
no you play big which leaves them going Bogut/Landry
or Ezeli/Landry when Bogut is in foul trouble
then i think they should occasionally mix it up and not immediately switch the screen to throw Curry off
the times when they do switch the screens Splitter can leave Landry after about 2 dribbles and send the double over on Barnes
and the Spurs can live with Landrys 18 footer

jbspurs
05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
You want to guard Barnes in the post with Parker, and send no help? You're an idiot. Barnes would score a layup every time, there is nothing Parker could do to defend him in the post 1-on-1. Not to mention he would probably be able to rebound any time he missed

Exactly! this is main problem for the Spurs. What we need is a quick help rotation from someone long to bother the pass and the shot. Jackson would have been perfect. :bang

TXstbobcat
05-14-2013, 05:57 PM
I am predicting that Leonard is going to have a huge game tonight. 25 points and 12 rebounds.

eyeh8u
05-14-2013, 06:34 PM
I can agree with this. Pop will probably start Parker on Curry though.

By the way, it's Steph (Stephen) Curry, not Seth. Seth is his brother :toast

its actually Wardell, and we should all start calling him that.

SpursRock20
05-14-2013, 08:05 PM
its actually Wardell, and we should all start calling him that.
Wardell? Wow, didn't know that! What a strange name.

EVAY
05-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Every one of the Warrior guards is taller and longer than Parker. That is not going to change. Part of the argument between Pop and Parker in the last game was that one time when Parker was on Curry, he did what he thought he was supposed to do and got on Curry's shoulder to funnel him toward Timmy, consistent with the game plan to make him run on that ankle as much as possible. But Curry had already picked up his dribble, so he just took the three (and of course made it) with Parker standing next to him. Pop started yelling at Parker and Parker was telling Pop that he was doing what he was told, and Pop said, "But he had already dribbled. He was just standing there...he couldn't move!!" Obviously Pop was wanting Parker to have fronted him, and Parker had just had a brain freeze and it was funny to watch.

Thing is, Curry can shoot right over Parker if he fronts him, so it doesn't much matter unless Parker is inside his jersey.

K-State Spur
05-14-2013, 08:40 PM

parker being quicker than Barnes, this idiot fails to see how it would be a layup every time.

The advantage Barnes has with size means he should be able to back Tony down and shoot over the top of him - that is the risk of going with parker and no help. But I don't see either of those things as a strength in the rook's game at this juncture of his career.

RD2191
05-14-2013, 09:50 PM
parker being quicker than Barnes, this idiot fails to see how it would be a layup every time.

The advantage Barnes has with size means he should be able to back Tony down and shoot over the top of him - that is the risk of going with parker and no help. But I don't see either of those things as a strength in the rook's game at this juncture of his career.
:lmao

urunobili
05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
I'd be more concerned on how Harrison Barnes is being guarded at this stage...

K-State Spur
05-14-2013, 10:02 PM
:lmao

Touche'

Although a couple thoughts on that:

1) he's hit 3 tough shots, but the rest are of the wide open variety when people are helping off of him
2) Barnes is keeping them in the game...but Curry & Thompson aren't BEATING the Spurs thus far.

If Barnes plays like that for 48, it's pick your poison. And the poison I still prefer is the rookie who averaged 9 ppg.