PDA

View Full Version : NC At It Again: Trying to Ban Tesla Direct Sales Model

FuzzyLumpkins
05-14-2013, 06:44 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/05/13/north_carolina_tesla_ban_bill_would_prevent_unfair _competition_with_car.html

North Carolina May Ban Tesla Sales To Prevent “Unfair Competition”

From the state that brought you the nation’s first ban on climate science comes another legislative gem: a bill that would prohibit automakers from selling their cars in the state.

The proposal, which the Raleigh News & Observer reports was unanimously approved by the state’s Senate Commerce Committee on Thursday, would apply to all car manufacturers, but the intended target is clear. It’s aimed at Tesla, the only U.S. automaker whose business model relies on selling cars directly to consumers, rather than through a network of third-party dealerships.

The bill is being pushed by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, a trade group representing the state’s franchised dealerships. Its sponsor is state Sen. Tom Apodaca, a Republican from Henderson, who has said the goal is to prevent unfair competition between manufacturers and dealers. What makes it “unfair competition” as opposed to plain-old “competition”—something Republicans are typically inclined to favor—is not entirely clear. After all, North Carolina doesn’t seem to have a problem with Apple selling its computers online or via its own Apple Stores.

Still, it’s easy to understand why some car dealers might feel a little threatened: Tesla’s Model S outsold the Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7 Series, and Audi A8 last quarter without any help from them. If its business model were to catch on, consumers might find that they don’t need the middle-men as much as they thought.

Incidentally—not that he would be in any way swayed by this—I couldn’t help but notice that Apodaca received $8,000 in campaign contributions from the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association last year, the maximum amount allowed by state law. I’ve reached out to the senator for further comment and will update this post if he replies.

I fail to see how a unilaterally applied business model is 'unfair competition.' Tesla sells directly to consumers and eliminates the Ancira types of the world. If the dealers cannot compete then that is their problem. That is how competition is supposed to work: firms compete in price amongst other things.

'Picking winners and losers' has become a conservative cliche yet the legislature that also legislated out climate change is now banning a company selling directly to consumers.

Drachen
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/05/13/north_carolina_tesla_ban_bill_would_prevent_unfair _competition_with_car.html

I fail to see how a unilaterally applied business model is 'unfair competition.' Tesla sells directly to consumers and eliminates the Ancira types of the world. If the dealers cannot compete then that is their problem. That is how competition is supposed to work: firms compete in price amongst other things.

'Picking winners and losers' has become a conservative cliche yet the legislature that also legislated out climate change is now banning a company selling directly to consumers.

You know Texas already has this right?

boutons_deux
05-14-2013, 06:52 PM
" consumers might find that they don’t need the middle-men as much as they thought."

who NEEDS them? :lol

Repugs HATE competition and love to do corporate bidding.

NC is also one of the states that forbids municipalities from building their own networks, another gift to the to the cable/DSL networking cartel.

http://www.wired.com/business/2011/05/nc-gov-anti-muni-broadband/

FuzzyLumpkins
05-15-2013, 12:10 AM
You know Texas already has this right?

Does it? If they do that is unsurprising.

baseline bum
05-15-2013, 12:15 AM

Auto dealers killed direct internet sales quick in the 90s. I remember 60 Minutes doing a story where they just killed these dealers and all the dealers could say is "we want to offer a personal experience." The look on the one douchebag dealer when 60 Minutes asked "what if I don't care about meeting you?" was priceless.

Honestly though, it wouldn't be America without middle-men parasites jumping in to get their cut like the mafia. The middle man is as American as the bank bailout and corporate welfare.

Wild Cobra
05-15-2013, 03:58 AM
I haven't read it yet, but here's the legislation:

link: SENATE BILL 327 (www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/Bills/Senate/PDF/S327v2.pdf)

Winehole23
05-15-2013, 04:02 AM
The middle man is as American as the bank bailout and corporate welfare.true, unfortunately. that's the main reason taxes can't be simpler. too many professionals would be out of a job.

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
The middle man is as American as the bank bailout and corporate welfare.

QFT.

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Heard on the radio that Tesla's CEO (I forget his name) was in Texas to meet with Perry to talk about getting to sell his cars directly to consumers in Texas. Given Perry's love to steal businesses from California, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Perry & the state leg working out some deal for Tesla to relocate it's manufacturing operations from California to Texas in return for a boatload of tax breaks and some kind of law that allows them to sell directly to Texas consumers.

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Seems like you could tier this. When Tesla manages to move X number of cars they would be required to go the retail franchise route. Until then, let them sell cars anyway they can.

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Seems like you could tier this. When Tesla manages to move X number of cars they would be required to go the retail franchise route. Until then, let them sell cars anyway they can.

Way too sensible of an outcome to be possible.

ElNono
05-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Just saw a Tesla Model S on the street for the first time today... Nice looking car, tbh

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2013, 01:37 AM
then why not ban fleet cars?

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Interesting. The bill is completely bipartisan, and was passed in the senate 48-0.

Latest developments:

05/15/2013 House Passed 1st Reading
05/15/2013 House Ref to the Com on Transportation, if favorable, Commerce and Job Development

link: Senate Bill 327 History (http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/voteHistory/RollCallVoteTranscript.pl?sSession=2013&sChamber=S&RCS=319)

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 02:58 AM
I still haven't read the bill yet, and probably won't. I wonder if this is along the lines of consumer protection. Without a dealership, warranty repairs may be difficult to obtain.

Winehole23
05-16-2013, 03:28 AM
to protect the customer, you must protect the middleman.

(rolls eyes)

FuzzyLumpkins
05-16-2013, 03:42 AM
I still haven't read the bill yet, and probably won't. I wonder if this is along the lines of consumer protection. Without a dealership, warranty repairs may be difficult to obtain.

:lol Claiming you are a libertarian.

Yeah because no other industry has figured out how to honor warranties without using independent dealerships. While they are at it, they should ban the Apple store because how the fuck are they going to repair iPods without Best Buy?

No one is even saying that Ford etc cannot utilize that business model for their purposes. If Tesla doesn't want to use that model then it gives consumers a choice. Cannot have that though. Much like Obamacare, we are forced to be beholden to a private industry.

It's shit like this that makes it very clear that outside of some window dressing, the policies of both parties are driven by the same motivation. That motivation is not the electorate. the electorate is too caught up in the window dressing.

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 03:48 AM

(rolls eyes)
What if the journalist listed reasons that are false? isn't it possible that it is an assumption rather than fact?

I'm only pointing out possibilities. Can you claim with certainty it is false?

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 03:49 AM
I'm OK with that.

I just wonder where they get warranty service at. Is it part of the sales contract?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-16-2013, 03:54 AM
It's pretty sad how WC makes up shit in hopes that it will be an excuse for his political allegiance's ass-hattery.

He questions the source and then presents an alternative. Too bad the alternative was so poorly thought out.

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 04:28 AM

(rolls eyes)
You haven't read the link I posted earlier, have you?

It adds that any vehicle sales via computer, etc, that these people are classed as dealers, and must abide by the same rules. It adds in part of the text, batteries... when speaking of repairs...

There were other things added, but my legalese at that level isn't very good. I read the marked up current law, how the legislation would change it.

link: SECTION 1. G.S. 20-286(11)a. is amended by adding a new sub-sub-subdivision to read: (www.ncleg.net/Applications/BillLookUp/LoadBillDocument.aspx?SessionCode=2013&DocNum=5026&SeqNum=0)

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2013, 04:40 AM
must create jobs, must collect more taxes from that single dollar

lol broke ass state doing whatever it can....

boutons_deux
05-16-2013, 05:34 AM
consumer protection

(Confederate) Repugs do something for the 99%? :lol

Repugs are pro-business, fuck-consumer

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Have any of you read the proposed change in law?

Th'Pusher
05-16-2013, 08:00 AM
What if the journalist listed reasons that are false? isn't it possible that it is an assumption rather than fact?

I'm only pointing out possibilities. Can you claim with certainty it is false?
You're bordering on retardation. The mental gymnastics you maneuver to make any reality conform to your narrow and misguided worldview is a absolutely astounding. Fuck.

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 07:16 PM
You're bordering on retardation. The mental gymnastics you maneuver to make any reality conform to your narrow and misguided worldview is a absolutely astounding. Fuck.
Do you understand the concept if "what if?"

scott
05-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Heard on the radio that Tesla's CEO (I forget his name) was in Texas to meet with Perry to talk about getting to sell his cars directly to consumers in Texas. Given Perry's love to steal businesses from California, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Perry & the state leg working out some deal for Tesla to relocate it's manufacturing operations from California to Texas in return for a boatload of tax breaks and some kind of law that allows them to sell directly to Texas consumers.

I haven't kept up so I'm not sure where in the process it is (and there are only two more days the house will meet to vote this session) but there was a bill to let MFG of Electric Vehicles be exempt from using the dealer model in TX.

The Auto Dealer's lobby is huge, and fights hard to protect their fiefdom. Their greatest fear is Toyota opening a company-owned dealership across the street from their plant.

The middlemen must protect what is "theirs"

Lol @ Libertarian Wild Cobra twisting into knots to defend the statutorily protected middleman. "Less government!"

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Do you understand the concept if "what if?"

Do you understand the concept of 'mental gymnastics."

"What if" <insert made up mental gymnastics nonsense that exonerates dumbass' political allegiance>

You would be living next to Auschwitz and saying "what if they are just making pool cleaning supplies there?"

Wild Cobra
05-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Lol @ Libertarian Wild Cobra twisting into knots to defend the statutorily protected middleman. "Less government!"
I once thought you to be a smart person. However, when you casually eliminate possible reasons, and target someone for no reason...

You are just another stupid adolescent bully.

Did I say anyplace in my posts I agree this legislation was proper?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Does anyone not think WC is a moron or is everyone just a 'stupid adolescent bully?' :cry

LnGrrrR
05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
No, WC is pretty much just stupid.

Now, I'm not saying she did, but what if WC's mom smoked a lot of meth? Not saying she DID! But what if?

Wild Cobra
05-19-2013, 02:25 PM
No, WC is pretty much just stupid.

Now, I'm not saying she did, but what if WC's mom smoked a lot of meth? Not saying she DID! But what if?
It's the repeated attacks that Scott makes of me for no reason. I must have really punked him bad before, and he hasn't gotten over it yet, so yes, I retaliated.

I do not tolerate well, people twisting what I say.

LnGrrrR
05-19-2013, 02:49 PM
WC, people wouldn't give you a hard time if you wouldn't throw out baseless speculation like "What if he lied?" Why would be do that? Do you have any proof? Etc etc

It would be like if I said, "What if Obama only authorized so many drones because he had an inside AQ member who told him that each hit was legit?" or some other nonsense. Your be right to shoot that down.

baseline bum
05-19-2013, 02:52 PM
LOL, WC accuses people of twisting his words when you post his quotes verbatim

Wild Cobra
05-19-2013, 02:54 PM
WC, people wouldn't give you a hard time if you wouldn't throw out baseless speculation like "What if he lied?" Why would be do that? Do you have any proof? Etc etc

It would be like if I said, "What if Obama only authorized so many drones because he had an inside AQ member who told him that each hit was legit?" or some other nonsense. Your be right to shoot that down.
Since when is a "what if" question baseless? It wouldn't be "what if" if there was proof, would it?

LnGrrrR
05-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Since when is a "what if" question baseless? It wouldn't be "what if" if there was proof, would it?

Because it implies that there might be something behind the what if, some sort of reason. Again, if I said, "What if WC was a child molester?" implies I might have some reason to believe that, not that Im just throwing out random questions.

scott
05-19-2013, 07:38 PM
But WHAT IF Wild Cobra is a child molester?

Needs to be asked.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-19-2013, 08:51 PM
It's always about someone else and never stupidity from WC. He is always 'taken out of context,' 'misquoted,' and 'being bullied.'

Wild Cobra
05-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Wow...

You guys must be getting tired of me owning you, so you have to be petty at shit.

baseline bum
05-20-2013, 03:29 AM
But do you molest children?

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Tesla Rides High, But Faces Formidable Foe: Car Dealers

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/05/17/tesla-5-17-13_wide-3658139102f7615fd5479193f7f36d05fbdc6c68-s40.jpg
A Tesla Model S drives outside the Tesla factory in Fremont, Calif., on June 22. The electric car was named Automobile of the Year by Automobile Magazine and Car of the Year by Motor Trend.
Model S Alpha, in black, and the Telsa Roadster behind it.

Tesla Motors, the American maker of luxury electric cars, has been riding a wave of good publicity.

Its Model S sedan (base priced at $62,400, after federal tax credits) was just named Motor Trend Car of the Year. Reviewers at Consumer Reports gave the lithium-ion battery powered vehicle a rave.

And the company, headed by billionaire innovator Elon Musk, 41, posted a profit for the first time in its 10-year history — powered in part by zero-emission environmental credits.

But Tesla also finds itself, and its business model, under sustained attack by a formidable foe: the National Automobile Dealers Association, one of the most powerful lobbying groups in Washington with a strong network of state chapters.

The dealers say they have no quibble with the quality and allure of Tesla's products. What they object to is the Palo Alto-based manufacturer's efforts to sell the electric car directly to consumers rather than through independently owned dealer franchises.

Tesla's model is often compared to the one used by consumer electronics giant Apple.

"We want to cut out the middleman," says Diarmuid O'Connell, vice president for business development at Tesla. "We're a bad fit for the dealer system."

The dealers' response?

"Buying an iPad is not buying a car," says David Hyatt of the national association, which, along with member chapters, has taken their franchise fight to the courts and to state legislatures across the nation.

It's a battle between a deep-pocketed interest group, which last year contributed more than $3.2 million to candidates, and a fearless entrepreneur.

And it's just heating up.

Battles Emerge State By State

A bill being considered in North Carolina, where there are currently 80 Teslas on the road and another 60 expected, would prevent the company from selling vehicles online. In Virginia, the state denied the company a dealer license to open a store.

Texas lawmakers are expected to ignore an effort by Tesla to gain an exception to strict franchise laws that prohibit factory-owned dealerships. Last year, there were only 43 registered Teslas in the state.

In both Massachusetts and New York, legal efforts by franchise dealers to block Tesla's efforts were rejected — including attempts to shut down three Tesla stores and two service centers in New York.

Wrote New York Supreme Court Justice Raymond J. Elliott III: "Dealers cannot utilize the Franchised Dealer Act as a means to sue their competitors."

An effort in Minnesota to rewrite franchise law to prevent vehicle manufacturers from operating a dealership died in the Legislature.

But these are expected to be the early rounds.

The franchise fight in Massachusetts has moved to the Legislature. Minnesota dealers plan to submit new legislation next year. And there are also private battles about which O'Connell declined to elaborate.
Tesla workers cheer on the first Tesla Model S cars sold during a rally at the Tesla factory in Fremont, Calif., in June.

"We don't underestimate the dealers," he said. "The franchise dealer system was, at its inception, set up to protect the dealers from manufacturers coming in and competing with them."

Tesla, which paid off early a $465 million low-interest government loan it received in 2009, insists that it presents little competition to the dealers. O'Connell characterizes the 10,000 to 15,000 cars it will sell this year domestically a "rounding error" for the big guys.

"This is absurd on its face," he said.

The company currently has 37 stores and galleries worldwide, 27 of them in the U.S., says Tesla spokeswoman Shanna Hendriks. It plans to open about 15 more locations this year with about half the openings in Europe and Asia.

It also has 24 service centers in the U.S. and 41 worldwide. Hendriks says the company plans to add approximately 30 service locations worldwide in 2013 – about half in the U.S.

Tesla argues that its electric product would get lost on a combustion engine lot; that its service needs are low and different than those at traditional franchises; its employees specifically trained and immersed in the car's technology; and its one-price, no-haggle policy anathema to the franchisee legacy.

"Ultimately," O'Connell says, "our ambition is to build a great car company, and our mission is to catalyze a mass market for electric vehicles."

"Why is it the [dealer franchise] market needs to be protected in this absolutist fashion?" he says. "There's a future out there where we might sell our product through a franchise dealer, but we're not there yet."

The Dealers Choice

Road & Track magazine describes the advent of the franchise system of independently owned and operated auto dealers as a way to enable "early automakers to get paid as soon as they shipped vehicles to the dealer."

The system long worked well, with dealers selling at a markup that brought healthy profits, according to the magazine, and the birth of muscular state laws preventing manufacturers from directly competing with the dealers.

And though the nature of the nation's economy has changed dramatically (why can't consumers buy cars online like everything else, Tesla asks), the dealers are holding tight to a structure as American as apple pie and essential to the health of communities.

"If manufacturers control dealership networks, there won't be dealerships in small towns — they'd just be where the big box stores are," says Bill Wolters, longtime head of the Texas Automobile Dealers Association. "Every year, there are bills that would weaken the franchise laws." Tesla's effort to change a state statute that prohibits manufacturers of new motor vehicles from operating a dealership, he says, is just the latest.

But perhaps the most persistent.

Both sides are not underestimating the determination of the other to prevail.

"I sat down in Palo Alto with Elon Musk, hat in hand, and said we want to partner with you, you can have it exactly as you want it — 'Tesla of Austin,' " said Wolters of the Texas dealers association. "You can do it just as you want to, within our law, you just can't own the showroom."

Musk, Wolters recalled, didn't cotton to the suggestion, leaving the room quickly, but not before pledging to spend an inordinate amount of money to battle automobile franchise laws.

Wolters noted, however, that he was taken for a nice drive in one of Musk's Teslas before heading back to Texas.

"He's just determined to do it his own way," Wolters says.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/19/184882045/tesla-rides-high-but-faces-formidable-foe-car-dealers?sc=17&f=1001

Drachen
05-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Just saw another one on wurzbach this morning. Its a pretty car. I dig the headlights.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Just saw another one on wurzbach this morning. Its a pretty car. I dig the headlights.

Yeah, I saw my first one last week on 121. Much sharper in person, even tho they're pretty slick in the pictures.

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I saw my first one last week on 121. Much sharper in person, even tho they're pretty slick in the pictures.

Meh. It's no Ford LTD....

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
:lol:lol Thank God.

Drachen
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
what you can't see in that picture is the led running lights on the bottom of the headlights, I am a sucker for this. Audi does it too.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 01:00 PM
what you can't see in that picture is the led running lights on the bottom of the headlights, I am a sucker for this. Audi does it too.

coyotes_geek has these on his LTD. Makes it look just like an Audi.:lol

http://www.prlog.org/10850629-brabus-style-high-power-led-daytime-running-lights.jpg

Drachen
05-20-2013, 01:09 PM

http://www.prlog.org/10850629-brabus-style-high-power-led-daytime-running-lights.jpg

not like this, it runs along the bottom of the headlights.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
not like this, it runs along the bottom of the headlights.

http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/really1.png

Drachen
05-20-2013, 01:21 PM

DP

Drachen
05-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Hey man, I like what I like. Fuck you for going generic.

Though maybe I should just get what I can and buy these things and install them on my 04 elantra.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=760875&md=1

RandomGuy
05-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Its sponsor is state Sen. Tom Apodaca, a Republican from Henderson, who has said the goal is to prevent unfair competition between manufacturers and dealers.

This was the only claim "the reporter" really made about he motives, although he was very long on innuendo.

I wouldn't think it too much of stretch for a public official to push something on behalf of a campaign donor, and this quote is probably fairly easily verified.

Here is his website:
http://www.senatorapodaca.com/

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 02:25 PM

:tu It really accentuates the vinyl seats, fake wood panelling and AM radio.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
This was the only claim "the reporter" really made about he motives, although he was very long on innuendo.

I wouldn't think it too much of stretch for a public official to push something on behalf of a campaign donor, and this quote is probably fairly easily verified.

Here is his website:
http://www.senatorapodaca.com/

Historically, the competition fear was very real and was the driver for the ban. Nobody wanted the factory to control the dealerships, including the factories for the most part.

RandomGuy
05-20-2013, 02:26 PM

I saw a Dodge charger with some purplish ring around the headlights. It looked cool. Couldn't quickly find a pic of it though.

scott
05-21-2013, 01:02 PM
We really do need to get to the bottom of these Wild Cobra/Child Molestation questions.

Th'Pusher
05-21-2013, 01:24 PM
What if the reason WC may be a child molester is a result of the fact that he was molested by his alcoholic uncle when he was fifteen?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Historically, the competition fear was very real and was the driver for the ban. Nobody wanted the factory to control the dealerships, including the factories for the most part.

Sure it is but that is because there is absolutely no need for auto dealers when it gets down to it. This notion that a firm should not be allowed to sell their own shit is absurd as is the notion that a firm, any firm gets to have legislative support by virtue only of their existence.

I just don't see what benefit the consumer gets by an independent firm skimming 8% additional cost off the price of cars like the dealers do.

TeyshaBlue
05-21-2013, 02:15 PM
I think you would find that the majority of the established manufacturers would prefer to let the dealership model stay. It's a much more stable sales model for them as they can pretty much dictate the dealerships inventory.

That is, it's not necessarily the dealerships that are the only ones pushing back on this. But I agree...I don't think the consumer is particularly well served, although there are a few exceptions.

TeyshaBlue
05-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Fuck. Could I be anymore waffley? http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

RandomGuy
05-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Sure it is but that is because there is absolutely no need for auto dealers when it gets down to it. This notion that a firm should not be allowed to sell their own shit is absurd as is the notion that a firm, any firm gets to have legislative support by virtue only of their existence.

I just don't see what benefit the consumer gets by an independent firm skimming 8% additional cost off the price of cars like the dealers do.

One could say the same thing about any bricks and mortar store selling shoes, clothes, books, or electronics.

Lotta people make a living selling things to other people.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I think you would find that the majority of the established manufacturers would prefer to let the dealership model stay. It's a much more stable sales model for them as they can pretty much dictate the dealerships inventory.

That is, it's not necessarily the dealerships that are the only ones pushing back on this. But I agree...I don't think the consumer is particularly well served, although there are a few exceptions.

I realize you are not arguing with my so if my tone is confrontational then I apologize. That being said, what you are saying only means a more diverse market. I can go with a local or national based dealer on whim.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-21-2013, 03:16 PM
One could say the same thing about any bricks and mortar store selling shoes, clothes, books, or electronics.

Lotta people make a living selling things to other people.

Sure and that is what creates markets. All I am saying is that if you are going to have free markets then you should have free markets. Selling what you produce is not taking up horizontal market share they aren't even buying up existing firms. Being entrenched should not mean you can legislate away competition.

TeyshaBlue
05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I realize you are not arguing with my so if my tone is confrontational then I apologize. That being said, what you are saying only means a more diverse market. I can go with a local or national based dealer on whim.

No prob. I'm not being particularly clear. I would much prefer a choice between both models as well...just not either/or.

baseline bum
05-21-2013, 03:25 PM

I don't think I agree with that. I can't remember which company it was (I'm thinking Toyota), but they had a website in the mid 90s where you could go order your new car right there. I have no idea if it was only for people with the ability to pay in cash or whether you could do financing through them, but I specifically remember being able to order straight from one of the major manufacturers in the 60 Minutes story I saw about this ridiculous "dealer tax" we're forced to pay in the mid 90s.

TeyshaBlue
05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't think I agree with that. I can't remember which company it was (I'm thinking Toyota), but they had a website in the mid 90s where you could go order your new car right there. I have no idea if it was only for people with the ability to pay in cash or whether you could do financing through them, but I specifically remember being able to order straight from one of the major manufacturers in the 60 Minutes story I saw about this ridiculous "dealer tax" we're forced to pay in the mid 90s.

Wasn't that Daewoo?

baseline bum
05-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Wasn't that Daewoo?

Maybe so. I don't remember who it was.

TeyshaBlue
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
I think they were also paying college students to sell via their website as they were trying to gain a foothold on the market.

coyotes_geek
05-23-2013, 02:29 PM
The U.S. Energy Department announced that Tesla Motors (TSLA), the electric car company founded in 2003 by PayPal creator Elon Musk, had repaid its $465 million loan nine years ahead of schedule. The Energy Department provided the funds to Tesla in 2010 as part of the Obama Administration’s Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing program. Tesla said it was able to repay its loans by using a portion of the approximately $1 billion in funds the company raised in last week’s offering of stock and debt.

Th'Pusher
05-23-2013, 02:56 PM
^ :tu Federal government doin' work, pickin' winners.

boutons_deux
06-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Tesla Sales Model Rejected In Texas Despite Citizen Support

http://i1.wp.com/cleantechnica.com/files/2013/04/tesla-texas.jpeg?resize=570%2C332

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/11/tesla-sales-model-rejected-in-texas-despite-citizen-support/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29

TX Repugs, those relentless, ruthless defenders of FREE MARKETS and hands-off, non-regulating, small govt! :lol

Do as we Repugs say, not as we Repugs do :lol

TX Repugs spiting a Fed-govt-picked WINNER

coyotes_geek
06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Disappointing, and predictable.

boutons_deux
06-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Tesla Motors Conquers North CarolinaTesla Motors (http://evobsession.com/tag/Tesla/) has won yet another legal victory in its fight to sell directly to consumers and bypass the outdated auto-dealership sales model — the North Carolina House of Representatives just scrapped a bill put forward by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association that would have banned Tesla from selling its universally lauded electric vehicles within the state.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/30/tesla-motors-conquers-north-carolina/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29

Wild Cobra
06-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Wow...

For once, you brought us some good news hat is believable!

baseline bum
06-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Tesla Motors Conquers North CarolinaTesla Motors (http://evobsession.com/tag/Tesla/) has won yet another legal victory in its fight to sell directly to consumers and bypass the outdated auto-dealership sales model — the North Carolina House of Representatives just scrapped a bill put forward by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association that would have banned Tesla from selling its universally lauded electric vehicles within the state.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/30/tesla-motors-conquers-north-carolina/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29

Wow, pretty surprising. Maybe I'm just jaded about state legislatures thanks to Texas' clown congress.

boutons_deux
06-30-2013, 04:36 PM
NC auto dealers assoc now realize they gotta pay their legislature a lot more next time, which won't be long.

Th'Pusher
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Since 2013, Tesla Motors has been working constructively with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJMVC) and members of Governor Christie’s administration to defend against the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers’ (NJ CAR) attacks on Tesla’s business model and the rights of New Jersey consumers. Until yesterday, we were under the impression that all parties were working in good faith.

Unfortunately, Monday we received news that Governor Christie’s administration has gone back on its word to delay a proposed anti-Tesla regulation so that the matter could be handled through a fair process in the Legislature. The Administration has decided to go outside the legislative process by expediting a rule proposal that would completely change the law in New Jersey. This new rule, if adopted, would curtail Tesla’s sales operations and jeopardize our existing retail licenses in the state. Having previously issued two dealer licenses to Tesla, this regulation would be a complete reversal to the long standing position of NJMVC on Tesla’s stores. Indeed, the Administration and the NJMVC are thwarting the Legislature and going beyond their authority to implement the state’s laws at the behest of a special interest group looking to protect its monopoly at the expense of New Jersey consumers. This is an affront to the very concept of a free market.

Proposal PRN 2013-138 seeks to impose stringent licensing rules that would, among other things, require all new motor vehicles to be sold through middlemen and block Tesla’s direct sales model. This move comes in spite of discussions with the Governor’s staff as recently as January, when it was agreed that Tesla and NJ CAR would address their issues in a more public forum: the New Jersey Legislature. Instead, rather than engage in an open debate on such a significant policy issue, the Administration has expedited the implementation of a new law that the Commission intends to stealthily approve at a meeting in Trenton today at 2:00 PM EDT.

We are disappointed in the actions of the NJMVC and the Christie Administration, which come on the heels of more than nine months of unexplained delays in the issuing of a new sales license for Tesla, despite our numerous requests, calls, and letters. In addition, the NJMVC has also delayed the annual renewal of Tesla’s current dealer licenses without indication of the cause of the delay. The delays have handicapped Tesla in New Jersey, where, without clear licensing procedures and fair enforcement of existing law, we have been forced to delay our growth plans. This is an issue that affects not just Tesla customers, but also New Jersey citizens at large, because Tesla would be unable to create new jobs or participate in New Jersey’s economic revival.

At the same time, neither Tesla nor the taxpayers of New Jersey have been able to participate in any of the analysis or been granted a hearing as requested last year when this was first proposed. Despite being the subject of the regulation, we were only able to obtain information about today’s meeting with less than 24 hours notice and in direct contravention of assurances by the Governor.

We strongly believe it is vital to introduce our own vehicles to the market because electric cars are still a relatively new technology. This model is not just a matter of selling more cars and providing optimum consumer choice for Americans, but it is also about educating consumers about the benefits of going electric, which is central to our mission to accelerate the shift to sustainable transportation, a new paradigm in automotive technology.

We urge the Christie administration to act in good faith and withdraw the proposed amendment, or amend it so that it reflects the true intent of the Legislature and the people of New Jersey.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/defending-innovation-and-consumer-choice-new-jersey