PDA

View Full Version : Green's athleticism

007nites
05-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Where did it suddenly come from? Dunking and blocking all over the place.

HarlemHeat37
05-14-2013, 10:48 PM
He's a very good athlete, but he is unable to translate it on offense due to his lack of ball-handling ability, tbh..

If Green could handle the ball at even a D-league level player, he would be a different player, and the Spurs wouldn't have him right now..

vander
05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
if it's steroids he needs to start sharing, especially with Tiago

hooperflash
05-14-2013, 10:58 PM
He just knows where to be now, tbh :tu

Brunodf
05-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Missed the last 2 seasons hum?

Canibspur
05-14-2013, 11:22 PM
HGH baby!

freetiago
05-14-2013, 11:24 PM
his defensive athleticism is good
doesnt have the footwork or handles like Leonard to be slashers
and it probably wont ever change

Chinook
05-14-2013, 11:27 PM
It's a concentration issue. Shots at the rim are more contested than threes, usually. Green has always had enough athleticism to be a decent finisher, but he is not a great athlete by NBA standards.

If you didn't know he could block shots, you weren't watching him last year. He's a really good rim defender for his position. Some people have forgotten how good Green was last year.

Where are the people wanting JJ Redick now?

sananspursfan21
05-14-2013, 11:30 PM
:lol what if he became that "break out star" the spurs are looking for instead of leonard :lol

Obstructed_View
05-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Green's always had that. As long as he's not dribbling the ball you have a chance to see it.

Chinook
05-14-2013, 11:34 PM
:lol what if he became that "break out star" the spurs are looking for instead of leonard :lol

Not going to happen. But if he were more consistent, he could be tremendous as a role-player. A less athletic, but much-better shooting Iggy.

sananspursfan21
05-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Not going to happen. But if he were more consistent, he could be tremendous as a role-player. A less athletic, but much-better shooting Iggy.

Right it was a joke. I do think however he can exceed most of our expectations

pgardn
05-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Great hands tonight on D, but never will have the handles.

As far as his jumping and dunking, below avg. for his height at this level. His positioning and lateral movement on D allow him to get the most out of his length.

TheGoldStandard
He needs to get the Pete Maravich dribbling and shooting VHS that I found on ebay years ago. He's athletic enough, he has good feet but his shot isn't always there. He's better without the ball, catching and shooting or running the break for a layup, he can't take the ball off dribble and lay it up though.

Obstructed_View
Green and Leonard were about equal from a ball-handling standpoint last year, and Leonard has far surpassed him. Green's what he is, and he's proven that he's not a choker, and he's an elite defender when he really puts his mind to it. Not likely he adds anything to his game to make him a star. Leonard has a legit chance to do that.

Chinook
05-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Right it was a joke. I do think however he can exceed most of our expectations

I think people hold his ceiling down to make Leonard's look higher. They don't need to, though. Green has a high ceiling. So what if Leonard's is higher?

8FOR!3
05-14-2013, 11:44 PM
He did have a couple of dunks that have surprised me so far in this series.

sananspursfan21
05-14-2013, 11:45 PM
I think people hold his ceiling down to make Leonard's look higher. They don't need to, though. Green has a high ceiling. So what if Leonard's is higher?

Good point. Green's still really young, I would venture to say he can even improve his ball handling some and be a little more of an offensive weapon. The defense we are witnessing from him in this series is a true thing of beauty

GSH
05-14-2013, 11:47 PM
It's a concentration issue. Shots at the rim are more contested than threes, usually. Green has always had enough athleticism to be a decent finisher, but he is not a great athlete by NBA standards.

If you didn't know he could block shots, you weren't watching him last year. He's a really good rim defender for his position. Some people have forgotten how good Green was last year.

Where are the people wanting JJ Redick now?

Green is the better at defending the fast break than any player I have ever seen. I'm not going to write a long story about it, but he's just damned good at breaking up breaks, blocking fast-break layups from behind, and stalling the break long enough for some help to arrive. Nobody is going to have a high success rate defending one-on-two, but even when the opponent scores, he plays it well, and he never gives up.

He's always been a good shot blocker for his size/position. He used to make more big plays, but he gambled more - which will keep you on the bench, when the coach is Gregg Popovich. But he's capable of getting blocks on any given night. He has also gotten better at slapping the ball away from the back side, and he's given Steph Curry a world of shit in this series doing that. Curry doesn't lose possession every time, but he has to lunge to re-gather it, and it's thrown him out of rhythm and forced him to pass.

It doesn't look like he's progressed offensively this year, as much as I had hoped. Last year, the Spurs were running the Alley-Oop to him some, and it worked pretty well several times. He blew one of them, and Parker said, "No more this season." I wish they would revive it for Game 6. The Warriors would never see it coming, and it's a play that really quiets a crowd.

chapnis
05-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Green is the better at defending the fast break than any player I have ever seen. I'm not going to write a long story about it, but he's just damned good at breaking up breaks, blocking fast-break layups from behind, and stalling the break long enough for some help to arrive. Nobody is going to have a high success rate defending one-on-two, but even when the opponent scores, he plays it well, and he never gives up.

Which is funny because I think Green is worse at running the fast break than any player I've seen.

Chinook
05-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Which is funny because I think Green is worse at running the fast break than any player I've seen.

Sure didn't look like it tonight.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-14-2013, 11:56 PM
He and Leonard need to work on their ball handling a bunch this off-season,

GSH
05-14-2013, 11:59 PM
He doesn't lead the break well. Mostly because he waits too long to dish it, and gets called for charges way too often. But he's not bad on the break if someone else is facilitating.

But those are two different skills. Start watching him defend the fast break. He's technically very solid, and his athleticism shows. I appreciate the hell out of the effort he gives, on those seemingly lost causes.

Sean Cagney
05-15-2013, 12:00 AM
I have no CLUE but him finishing is an EXCELLENT SIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

MR-Clutch
05-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Is his lack of ball handling skills a confidence problem or coordination problem? His layup samples lead me to believe its a coordination problem, but maybe I'm wrong? Thoughts?

Chinook
05-15-2013, 12:03 AM
He doesn't lead the break well. Mostly because he waits too long to dish it, and gets called for charges way too often. But he's not bad on the break if someone else is facilitating.

But those are two different skills. Start watching him defend the fast break. He's technically very solid, and his athleticism shows. I appreciate the hell out of the effort he gives, on those seemingly lost causes.

As I said before, he is probably the best guard at contesting shots. Leonard could stand to learn from Green in that regard.

Green isn't terrible at leading the break unless he has to dribble with someone within five feet of him. He made a couple of nice passes in transition in this series, and he's taken it himself a few times.

itzsoweezee
05-15-2013, 12:04 AM
He does not have great athleticism. However, he makes up for it with his very long arms.

pgardn
05-15-2013, 12:04 AM

He's always been a good shot blocker for his size/position. He used to make more big plays, but he gambled more - which will keep you on the bench, when the coach is Gregg Popovich. But he's capable of getting blocks on any given night. He has also gotten better at slapping the ball away from the back side, and he's given Steph Curry a world of shit in this series doing that. Curry doesn't lose possession every time, but he has to lunge to re-gather it, and it's thrown him out of rhythm and forced him to pass.

It doesn't look like he's progressed offensively this year, as much as I had hoped. Last year, the Spurs were running the Alley-Oop to him some, and it worked pretty well several times. He blew one of them, and Parker said, "No more this season." I wish they would revive it for Game 6. The Warriors would never see it coming, and it's a play that really quiets a crowd.

He does have a problem with getting posted and pushed around. Leonard definitely better on the stronger guys. Green really is a disruptive open floor defender.

DPG21920
05-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Sure didn't look like it tonight.

That is one night.That would be like watching him hit a layup and claiming he's good at that. Danny has a lot of flaws if you really are looking, but people shouldn't be hunting for that with a player like him. He's undoubtedly a net positive player. He's a very good athlete but it does not appear that way because what HH mentioned and because he's more straight line athletic (jumping, running straight-forward) - when you introduce the element of side to side and/or the ball he's a bit awkward.

He's had a tremendous year with the Spurs which is great because the Spurs rewarded him with a contract and he is easily living up to it so far.

Chinook
05-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Is his lack of ball handling skills a confidence problem or coordination problem? His layup samples lead me to believe its a coordination problem, but maybe I'm wrong? Thoughts?

Both. He lacks confidence because his coordination needs work. When Green gets going, he's not as bad of a ball-handler as he seems most of the time. He could get good enough to run the pick-and-roll effectively. He'll never be more than adequate, though.

Chinook
05-15-2013, 12:12 AM
That is one night.That would be like watching him hit a layup and claiming he's good at that. Danny has a lot of flaws if you really are looking, but people shouldn't be hunting for that with a player like him. He's undoubtedly a net positive player. He's a very good athlete but it does not appear that way because what HH mentioned and because he's more straight line athletic (jumping, running straight-forward) - when you introduce the element of side to side and/or the ball he's a bit awkward.

He's had a tremendous year with the Spurs which is great because the Spurs rewarded him with a contract and he is easily living up to it so far.

I generally agree. I am not claiming Green is a good player at running the break. But you can't be the worst player in an aspect if you have a good deal of nights where you are adequate in that aspect. This isn't the only game where Green's been good in offensive transition. In fact, he hasn't really had a bad one in a while.

Green's biggest issue is consistency. Physically, he's good enough, and skill-wise, he's good enough. When he really concentrates, he can have games like this. This wasn't a game in which he hit a ridiculous number of three-pointers. Everything he did tonight is repeatable.

Really, Green just needs to be good enough on offense so that players can't "hide" on him. What he's doing against Curry lately give me hope.

mercos
05-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Green's defense has really been something to watch this series. I knew he was good, but he has been playing at an elite level since game 1. He is shutting down everyone he checks. The Spurs might finally have the closest thing to a Bowen replacement they will ever find.

Chinook
05-15-2013, 12:13 AM
That's wild, man. You've never seen LeBron James play basketball? Insane.

Lebron is great at chase-down blocks, but not much else (in transition defense). Green is great at blocking, contesting and deterring. Not saying Lebron's block don't count more than everything Green does, but it's not as clear-cut as you seem to think.

Chinook
05-15-2013, 12:17 AM
One of two things happen when there is a fast break against the Miami Heat and LeBron James is on the floor. Either their shit is pinned against the glass or they see him coming and circle back out and wait for their teammates. No one else in the NBA commands that kind of fear.

That's when James is there. That's not a given on every transition opportunity. Green is almost always there. That counts for a lot.

GSH
05-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Lebron is great at chase-down blocks, but not much else (in transition defense). Green is great at blocking, contesting and deterring. Not saying Lebron's block don't count more than everything Green does, but it's not as clear-cut as you seem to think.

Yep. I wasn't even going to respond to that comment, but you're exactly right. Green winds up out in front of more breaks than LeBron, but that's got a lot to do with where the two usually are on the floor. LeBron is definitely good at running them down and getting blocks from behind. But he's not spending nearly as much time out on the 3-P line, so he's not going to be out in front of as many breaks.

One thing Green does really well, is anticipate. It serves him well on defense, and it's a big part of what makes him good at defending fast breaks.

GSH
05-15-2013, 12:24 AM
One of two things happen when there is a fast break against the Miami Heat and LeBron James is on the floor. Either their shit is pinned against the glass or they see him coming and circle back out and wait for their teammates. No one else in the NBA commands that kind of fear.

Sorry. I didn't know I was interrupting a case of man-love. I'm sure if LeBron WAS out in front of a lot of fast breaks he would defend them better than anyone, and commanding fear, and coloring your world. You win. Winning.

DPG21920
05-15-2013, 12:24 AM
As an aside, this has just been a whacky West playoff so far. I literally don't know what to expect and for every terrible moment, there has been great ones and a lot of random guys stepping up and playing big. Wild West seems applicable at this point.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2013, 12:28 AM
He made a layup too

therealtruth
05-15-2013, 12:29 AM
For a non athletic guard he gets a lot of blocks.

Chinook
05-15-2013, 12:29 AM
No man love at all. I give credit where it's due. I appreciate his game. Probably watching the best overall player of all-time.

I pretty much agree with that. I don't think there will ever be a player like James again. He's like Calvin Johnson ... if Johnson could play every position on both sides of the ball as well as he can play wide-out.

Chinook
05-15-2013, 12:40 AM
I just don't see any weakness that he has, which is insane. How do you defeat him? He beats himself or you lose, but you never defeat him yourself.

He's still vulnerable mentally. Chicago's shown that. Memphis can probably get in his head if they want to. The Spurs would probably just defend around him.

Budkin
05-15-2013, 01:34 AM
He REALLY has improved quickly. He looked like scrub city at times this season and last.

superbigtime
05-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Great game from Green overall. does a little bit of anything. If he plays well it is huge for this team. It's not a bonus. The team needs him to play like this.

GSH
05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
He's a very good athlete but it does not appear that way because what HH mentioned and because he's more straight line athletic (jumping, running straight-forward) - when you introduce the element of side to side and/or the ball he's a bit awkward.

Every now and then I read something and think, "Damn... I wish I had said that." I think that says it about as concisely as it could be done. He's got decent lateral movement on the defensive end, but with the ball, he's all about straight lines. I had hopes that he would develop beyond that. But even if he doesn't he's got a place on an NBA team - especially one like the Spurs.

No man love at all. I give credit where it's due. I appreciate his game. Probably watching the best overall player of all-time.

Lots of great players have had careers cut short, or played for crappy teams their whole careers. They can't get their due when that happens. But if LeBron stays healthy, and collects a few more LOB's, you'll probably be right. He's definitely got the talent for it. It would be kind of dumb to deny that.

Now... if you really give credit where it's due, watch Danny Green when he's out in front of a 2-on-1 fast break. If you really love the game, you should appreciate a craftsman at work. Defending a 2-on-1 is a thankless job, because no matter who you are, or how good you do it, you're going to get your ass kicked most of the time. But if I was coaching high school kids on how to do it, I would show them film of Green.

LeBron may be (or become) the best PLAYER of all time. But that doesn't mean that he's the best at everything of all time. That shouldn't be too much of a bitter pill to swallow.

MR-Clutch
05-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I wish Leonard would track down blocks from behind like Danny does.

ALVAREZ6
05-15-2013, 09:43 PM
He's a very good athlete, but he is unable to translate it on offense due to his lack of ball-handling ability, tbh..

If Green could handle the ball at even a D-league level player, he would be a different player, and the Spurs wouldn't have him right now..
:tu

And if you're just now realizing he's quite the athlete, you aren't much of a Spurs fan.

exstatic
05-15-2013, 09:48 PM
I really like that Grantland piece about the new NBA value player, the "three and D" guy. Both Kawhi and Green got the love.