PDA

View Full Version : Spurs defense getting ZERO credit for Game 5

Dizzle
05-15-2013, 04:38 AM
EVERYONE talkin bout "Warriors are tired.. Warriors are exhausted.. yadda yadda"

Nobody wants to talk about Kawhi's STIFLING defense on Klay's overrated ass... or Danny Green and TP stepping up to the challenge and shutting down Steph Curry. Or how about Duncan holding down the paint at 37 yrs old.

DAMN the Spurs got 4 chips, 13+ seasons at 50+ wins and still cant get no respect smh

Obstructed_View
05-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Um, there are an awful lot of Spurs fans that post on message boards that don't understand defense. They just think you magically make your shots or you don't, and that's the only factor in whether or not a team wins.

pgardn
05-15-2013, 07:28 AM
If you are referring to the guys on the tube absolutely.

Green and Leonard are now implanted in "the best guard tandem in the league" heads.

TampaDude
05-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Plenty of stuff on ESPN.com about the Spurs' D.

jyra
05-15-2013, 08:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58273/spurs-trio-outduels-warriors-duo

Curry and Thompson combined for just 13 points, tied for the fewest they’ve combined for in any game that both of them have played in this season (regular season or postseason). Previously, the fewest they had combined for this postseason was 29.

Neither Curry nor Thompson had any unguarded or transition field goal attempts in Game 5. Kawhi Leonard (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard) was primarily responsible for locking down Thompson. He held him to 2-for-7 shooting as an on-ball defender.

The part about attacking Curry on defense was also interesting. It's good to see the Spurs exploiting the weak spot in the defense like Golden State did with TP.

Russ
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
They just think you magically make your shots or you don't, and that's the only factor in whether or not a team wins.

Sounds like Pop in a postgame. :)

mercos
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Those that aren't paying attention are missing a defensive clinic. The Spurs have been doing a spectacular job on Curry since the start of game 2. He's gimpy now, but they are giving him little room to breathe, even on screens. This is the best defense I have seen from the Spurs since the title years.

Raven
05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
not sure about tony doing anything on d and on timmy locking the paint..

sananspursfan21
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Game 3 and on is how the series should have been going all along. Games 1 and 2 were so flukey. I mean, where credit is due, Curry is the best 3 point shooter I've ever seen but even he hit some lucky shots in those games. And the whole "splash brothers" thing made me cringe, give me a break. The most overrated backcourt of all time?

EVAY
05-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Um, there are an awful lot of Spurs fans that post on message boards that don't understand defense. They just think you magically make your shots or you don't, and that's the only factor in whether or not a team wins.

They think that sometimes because after the spurs shot so poorly in Game 4 they didn't credit the GS defense for the poor shooting - they all just said they shot poorly.

Both teams say that sort of thing.

It is not a big deal.

Kidd K
05-15-2013, 10:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58273/spurs-trio-outduels-warriors-duo

The part about attacking Curry on defense was also interesting. It's good to see the Spurs exploiting the weak spot in the defense like Golden State did with TP.

That's what I've been saying since game 2. The Warriors' backcourt can't drive to the hoop very effectively unless they have a big head of steam first (i.e. in the open court or before they bring the ball up near the 3pt line as a secondary transition). Curry isn't as good at that as people think and neither is Jack.

Spurs kept playing soft on them and letting them hit Js worrying about them driving by, but it's never been a big threat considering the lateral quickness and good reaction time of Green, Parker, and Leonard. Soon as they stopped playing scared and realized they were shitty slashers, they stopped scoring unless it was on highly contested jumpers, moving screens helping them, or defensive mistakes on the perimeter (usually by Gary Neal).

davidbowie
05-15-2013, 10:37 AM
who cares what people say

elbamba
05-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Barry and Smith were praising the defense on NBA TV. You just need to stop watching TNT for anything but the game. You should also turn down the volume and listen to nails screeching down a chalkboard as it would be better than listening to Chris Webber commentate a game.

spurspokesman
05-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Let others take credit. We will gladly take the "W"

dbestpro
05-15-2013, 11:30 AM
I will take wins over credit any day.

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
who cares what people say

You're still here? I thought you officially gave up on the team yesterday?

Man In Black
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Print media always treats the Spurs better than the 4-Letter Onscreen peeps.

davidbowie
05-15-2013, 11:59 AM
You're still here? I thought you officially gave up on the team yesterday?

negro ive been goin to spurs games since u were still in your dads ballsack. i aint goin nowhere

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2013, 12:23 PM
negro ive been goin to spurs games since u were still in your dads ballsack. i aint goin nowhere

I'm 45, so that makes zero sense.

SouthernFried
05-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Spurs defense was great...when the good 5 was on the court.

When DUNCAN left the court, the interior defense was as bad as I've ever seen. Bonner and Splitter were out of position, didn't rotate and cover lanes...I've seen pickup games at the Y that had better defense than those 2. They were absolutely horrible.

But, when Duncan was on the court, yeah...our defense was damm good yesterday.

Eddy from Austin
05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3636/greatestdefensivebackco.jpg

mudyez
05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
EVERYONE talkin bout "Warriors are tired.. Warriors are exhausted.. yadda yadda"

Nobody wants to talk about Kawhi's STIFLING defense on Klay's overrated ass... or Danny Green and TP stepping up to the challenge and shutting down Steph Curry. Or how about Duncan holding down the paint at 37 yrs old.

DAMN the Spurs got 4 chips, 13+ seasons at 50+ wins and still cant get no respect smh

You are doing it too!

DarrinS
05-15-2013, 03:55 PM
If you've got 10 minutes to kill, this is a pretty good analysis

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58296/truehoop-tv-warriors-demise

hater
05-15-2013, 04:40 PM
well it's not pretty what the spurs did this series. ESPN just trying to beautify what is the equivalent of killing a chicken.

First the chicken runs circles around you(game 1 and 2), then eventually you get a hold of it and squeeze the chicken's neck.(game 3) You proceed to twisting the chicken's neck more and more while feathers fly all around you, chicken struggles for a bit more (game 4). After a few moments the chicken's neck finally snaps (game 5)