PDA

View Full Version : Want to convert overtime to time off?

Wild Cobra
05-15-2013, 07:00 AM
The House has passed a bill that allows employees to work past 40 hrs a week, and get an extra 1.5 hrs of vacation time for every 1 hr worked, overtime, without pay.

I like the idea. Anyone else? The version linked on the next line is on it's way to the senate to be killed.

link: H. R. 1406 (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113hr1406rfs/pdf/BILLS-113hr1406rfs.pdf)

velik_m
05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
So 1 hour of unpaid overtime for 1.5 hour of paid vacation?

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
I agree with it for different reasons. Employers and employees should be able to negotiate any compensation arrangement they agree on without interference from the Federal government.

leemajors
05-15-2013, 07:43 AM
i would much rather have overtime pay.

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2013, 08:16 AM
i would much rather have overtime pay.

With my guys, the guys that want overtime want the money. The guys that value time off are the guys that don't want overtime.

boutons_deux
05-15-2013, 08:38 AM
War on (Hourly) Employees

If the Repugs wrote/passed it, you know that 99% are gettting screwed to the benefit of employers

www.politicususa.com/house-republican-attack-overtime-pay-designed-kill-jobs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+(Politicu s+USA+)

http://www.alternet.org/corporate-accountability-and-workplace/now-they-want-take-away-8-hour-day-and-40-hour-week

leemajors
05-15-2013, 08:39 AM
With my guys, the guys that want overtime want the money. The guys that value time off are the guys that don't want overtime.

I have 130+ hours of vacation saved up atm, just took 40 in March. My company also lets you convert time off into pay from June-Oct alongside taking a vacation day as well, 1 for 1.

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 08:42 AM
The House has passed a bill that allows employees to work past 40 hrs a week, and get an extra 1.5 hrs of vacation time for every 1 hr worked, overtime, without pay.

I like the idea. Anyone else? The version linked on the next line is on it's way to the senate to be killed.

link: H. R. 1406 (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113hr1406rfs/pdf/BILLS-113hr1406rfs.pdf)

State of Texas has been using comp time instead of overtime with it's employees for decades now.

RandomGuy
05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
I agree with it for different reasons. Employers and employees should be able to negotiate any compensation arrangement they agree on without interference from the Federal government.

How then, do you prevent employers from exploiting power imbalances?

RandomGuy
05-15-2013, 09:31 AM

As always.. the devil is in the details:

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/10/182910609/comp-time-or-cold-cash-which-would-you-pick

The parts your preferred propaganda sources will not cover:

The Democratic Pushback
Last week, the White House said President Obama would veto any legislation that "undermines the existing right to hard-earned overtime pay, on which many working families rely to make ends meet."
The administration says it objects to the Republican legislation because it lacks "protections for employees who may not want to receive compensatory time off in lieu of overtime pay," and fails to "guarantee that workers would be able to use the time they have earned when they choose."
The White House also points out that the bill would allow a worker to accrue as many as 160 hours of comp time — or 20 full days — but provides no protections if the employer were to shut down or declare bankruptcy before employees' free time could be used.

The Economist's View
Nariman Behravesh, chief economist for IHS Global Insight, a forecasting firm, said that in terms of the broad economy, the legislation would not have much of an impact because employers have figured out ways to cope with peak and slack periods without relying heavily on overtime. He noted that Labor Department statistics show no increase in overtime hours in the past year because companies routinely turn to temps and part-time workers to cover seasonal rushes of business.
While comp time and overtime pay might be issues that matter to individual workers, "this is definitely not something we hear about" when meeting with business owners, he said. "Not being able to hire skilled workers is a much bigger issue."

It is another do-nothing bill introduced with no hope for passage, but for the sole reason to give people like you some flag to wave around to prove how "free market" you are and how Democrats "hate free markets".

Pablum for the converted, the intellectual equivalent of baby food, i.e. easy to swallow without effort.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Baby_eating_baby_food.jpg/800px-Baby_eating_baby_food.jpg

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 10:11 AM
State of Texas has been using comp time instead of overtime with it's employees for decades now.

Upon further review, it looks like they all do. Federal/State/Local government have been using comp time since the mid-80s.

RandomGuy
05-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Upon further review, it looks like they all do. Federal/State/Local government have been using comp time since the mid-80s.

Difference of course, is that goverments generally allow time off any time it is requested.

Not all private employers are so inclined, nor are they required to do so.

The benefit here is the time value of money.

accumulated time off = liability sitting on the books

paid out wages = current period expenses

It lets businesses keep the cash assets a while longer, and is, in essence, a transfer from the employees to the company.

One can see why busineses and Republicans are pushing for it, when you put it that way.

Like I said, a non-issue, and arguably bad for workers overall, but makes for good PR to the faithful.

baseline bum
05-15-2013, 01:00 PM

You don't. That's the point.

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Difference of course, is that goverments generally allow time off any time it is requested.

Not all private employers are so inclined, nor are they required to do so.

The benefit here is the time value of money.

accumulated time off = liability sitting on the books

paid out wages = current period expenses

It lets businesses keep the cash assets a while longer, and is, in essence, a transfer from the employees to the company.

One can see why busineses and Republicans are pushing for it, when you put it that way.

Like I said, a non-issue, and arguably bad for workers overall, but makes for good PR to the faithful.

Pretty much agree with all this.

I do know that as far as state workers go there's a limit as to how many comp hours they can accumulate before the state is required to start paying them for those hours. That never happens though because the state will make you use your comp hours before you reach that point. I spent my summers in college working for TxDOT and it was pretty common to see guys being told not to come in for a week or two because they were getting close to their comp time limit. Actually worked out great for me since I was a summer hire they couldn't put me on comp time so I pretty much had unlimited overtime.

You make a fair point about the time value of money and the whole thing being to an employers benefit overall, but there are still some scenarios that would be to the employee's benefit. If an employee gets a raise between the time he earns the comp time and when he uses it, that's to his benefit because he ends up getting paid the higher wage for work performed back when he was earning a lower wage.

I also think you could make a pretty strong case that comp time would be beneficial to overall employment. With paid overtime the only limit to a single worker's productivity is how many hours he can work efficiently. With comp time, that worker's productivity is capped at an average of 40 hours per week. Work him 50 hours in one week, you'll only get 30 hours out of him some other week. No more working 4 guys 50 hours a week to avoid hiring a 5th guy.

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2013, 02:12 PM

lol whut?

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
A bunch of paranoid fucks in here that think all employers are out to screw their employees.

Th'Pusher
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
A bunch of paranoid fucks in here that think all employers are out to screw their employees.
You're as bad as anybody with the absolutes. Not all, but some will. Under the current law, there are protections (any hours over 40, the employer pays time and a half. Under the proposed law this protection is lost. That's what is at issue here. You're inability to see that because you think you're a cool boss is irrelevant tbh.

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Some do already. Point?

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 03:50 PM
You're as bad as anybody with the absolutes. Not all, but some will. Under the current law, there are protections (any hours over 40, the employer pays time and a half. Under the proposed law this protection is lost. That's what is at issue here. You're inability to see that because you think you're a cool boss is irrelevant tbh.

How so? It's still time and a half. 1 hour of OT worked would get you 1.5 hrs of comp time.

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2013, 03:52 PM
How so? It's still time and a half. 1 hour of OT worked would get you 1.5 hrs of comp time.

I guess you could make the case of reverse-monetization, sorta.

Th'Pusher
05-15-2013, 04:02 PM
There is nothing in place to force employers to allow you to take comp time. You can't take off right now, we're too busy. Oh your comp time expired, sorry about that, well that's on you, you should have taken it when you had it...

boutons_deux
05-15-2013, 04:04 PM

household income has essentialy been flat for 35 years, median income has not kept up with GDP growth, while employer income has skyrocketed to 100s of times median salary, and US wealth inequality in USA is one of the worst of all industrial countries, and as bad a corrupt cesspool countries. That's the VWRC War on Employees. etc, etc, etc.

what's your explanation?

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Every once in a while it pays to actually follow a link and read a little. :)

‘(1) GENERAL RULE- An employee may receive, in accordance with this subsection and in lieu of monetary overtime compensation, compensatory time off at a rate not less than one and one-half hours for each hour of employment for which overtime compensation is required by this section.

‘(2) CONDITIONS- An employer may provide compensatory time to employees under paragraph (1)(A) only if such time is provided in accordance with--

‘(A) applicable provisions of a collective bargaining agreement between the employer and the labor organization that has been certified or recognized as the representative of the employees under applicable law; or

‘(B) in the case of employees who are not represented by a labor organization that has been certified or recognized as the representative of such employees under applicable law, an agreement arrived at between the employer and employee before the performance of the work and affirmed by a written or otherwise verifiable record maintained in accordance with section 11(c)--

‘(A) MAXIMUM HOURS- An employee may accrue not more than 160 hours of compensatory time.

‘(B) COMPENSATION DATE- Not later than January 31 of each calendar year, the employee’s employer shall provide monetary compensation for any unused compensatory time off accrued during the preceding calendar year that was not used prior to December 31 of the preceding year at the rate prescribed by paragraph (6). An employer may designate and communicate to the employer’s employees a 12-month period other than the calendar year, in which case such compensation shall be provided not later than 31 days after the end of such 12-month period.

So, in summary:

1. It's still time and a half
2. Requires mutual agreement of employee and employer before the work takes place
3. 160 hour cap
4. Company and employee have to square up on unused comp time, in cash, every year

I think those conditions pretty much remove any reason to have a problem with this bill.

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 04:07 PM
There is nothing in place to force employers to allow you to take comp time. You can't take off right now, we're too busy. Oh your comp time expired, sorry about that, well that's on you, you should have taken it when you had it...

See my post above. The bill has all those concerns covered.

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2013, 04:08 PM
household income has essentialy been flat for 35 years, median income has not kept up with GDP growth, while employer income has skyrocketed to 100s of times median salary, and US wealth inequality in USA is one of the worst of all industrial countries, and as bad a corrupt cesspool countries. That's the VWRC War on Employees. etc, etc, etc.

what's your explanation?

Computers and automation. Digital revolution.

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2013, 04:13 PM
It's all VWRC all the time, CC. Duh.

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Beats thinking.

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 04:18 PM

Industrialization of third world countries with stable governments, cheap transportation costs...........

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Industrialization of third world countries with stable governments, cheap transportation costs...........

global economy

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
gfy

CosmicCowboy
05-15-2013, 04:59 PM
band width. If your job can be done at a desk it can be done anywhere in the world.

leemajors
05-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Since I work European hours (5AM-2PM) and support European repair depots, I make out like a bandit on US holidays - holiday pay is normal + overtime. If that disappeared I would be pretty disappointed.

Th'Pusher
05-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Other rich countries have access to computers and automation. How do you explain the fact that the income inequality in America has grown faster and is the highest in the advanced industrialized world?

Th'Pusher
05-15-2013, 07:16 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Gini_since_WWII.svg/800px-Gini_since_WWII.svg.png

Gini Index since WWII. Of industrialized nations the US and the UK seem to be on a similar path since ~1980. They must have been the only two countries with access to technology and automation.

Th'Pusher
05-15-2013, 07:19 PM

So, in summary:

2. Requires mutual agreement of employee and employer before the work takes place
3. 160 hour cap
4. Company and employee have to square up on unused comp time, in cash, every year

I think those conditions pretty much remove any reason to have a problem with this bill.

Thanks. Good info. I had not read the bill before responding. Still could be problematic for employees. Boss: I've got 25 hours of overtime available this week. Those interested in time and a half, need not apply...

coyotes_geek
05-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks. Good info. I had not read the bill before responding.

I hadn't read it either. That wasn't a shot at you.

Still could be problematic for employees. Boss: I've got 25 hours of overtime available this week. Those interested in time and a half, need not apply...

Certainly if an employer thinks one way gives them some kind of advantage over another they'll choose that route over the other. I don't really see how that's a problem though since when it comes to OT an employer is going to be looking for the guys with the lowest hourly rate long before they worry about whether or not that person wants to be paid in comp time or not.

I'm not anyone's boss, but I am a project manager and have say over how OT hours on my projects get handed out. All I give a crap about when giving out OT is who gives me the best production for the least money. Comp time would still be billed to my project at 1.5 x hours worked, so it makes no difference to me whether or not those 25 hours would be paid out immediately or at some point down the road.

boutons_deux
05-16-2013, 05:41 AM
Any employment bill from the party

that blocks all raises of the federal minimum wage,

that wants to kill minimum wage,

that wants to kill child labor laws has to be good for employers,

removed OT from 100Ks workers by calling them mgmt not hourly,

that has busted, is busting unions (teachers, USPS, right-to-work-(for-less) laws ),

has to be, will be shown to be good for employers and bad for employees.

You people seem to assume there's some kind of love fest and respect between employers and low-wage employees, esp poor single mothers. WRONG assumption.

RandomGuy
05-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Nope.

Free trade, and "conservative" values that taxes capital at lower rates than labor.

RandomGuy
05-16-2013, 08:56 AM
You don't [prevent employers from exploiting power imbalances]. That's the point.

Which is why employers push things like this.

We have gotten rid of corrupt unions, and gained corrupt corporations.

RandomGuy
05-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Not all. Not even most.

The problem is what do you do with those that ARE?

RandomGuy
05-16-2013, 09:29 AM
You make a fair point about the time value of money and the whole thing being to an employers benefit overall, but there are still some scenarios that would be to the employee's benefit. If an employee gets a raise between the time he earns the comp time and when he uses it, that's to his benefit because he ends up getting paid the higher wage for work performed back when he was earning a lower wage.

Very true. This occurred to me, but I din't hav ehte time to type it out.

Homeland Security
05-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Which is why employers push things like this.

We have gotten rid of corrupt unions, and gained corrupt corporations.
One of the great ironies of American history is that attempts to protect the political power of unions are what unleashed corporations from the restrictions on their political power that persisted into the 1970's. Those attempts created the Political Action Committee.

Now the genie will never get back in that bottle. Rank-and-file Republicans today think that corporate purchase of the government is sancrosanct free speech chiseled into the bedrock of the Constitution by the Founding Fathers. Coupled with the anti-intellectualism of the lower-class white nationalist Right, the conservative entertainment complex has little difficulty supplanting history with a highly flexible mythology of the nation's founding wherein George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin believed whatever today's corporate special interests need them to have believed at a given time. If needed, Antonin Scalia can swoop in and rubber-stamp the corporate position as "originalist."

Th'Pusher
05-16-2013, 09:54 AM
One of the great ironies of American history is that attempts to protect the political power of unions are what unleashed corporations from the restrictions on their political power that persisted into the 1970's. Those attempts created the Political Action Committee.

Now the genie will never get back in that bottle. Rank-and-file Republicans today think that corporate purchase of the government is sancrosanct free speech chiseled into the bedrock of the Constitution by the Founding Fathers. Coupled with the anti-intellectualism of the lower-class white nationalist Right, the conservative entertainment complex has little difficulty supplanting history with a highly flexible mythology of the nation's founding wherein George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin believed whatever today's corporate special interests need them to have believed at a given time. If needed, Antonin Scalia can swoop in and rubber-stamp the corporate position as "originalist."

This is pretty damn accurate and well said.

boutons_deux
05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Now the genie will never get back in that bottle. Rank-and-file Republicans today think that corporate purchase of the government is sancrosanct free speech chiseled into the bedrock of the Constitution by the Founding Fathers. Coupled with the anti-intellectualism of the lower-class white nationalist Right, the conservative entertainment complex has little difficulty supplanting history with a highly flexible mythology of the nation's founding wherein George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin believed whatever today's corporate special interests need them to have believed at a given time.

iow: the VRWC has fucked America into unfuckable-ness.

Wild Cobra
05-16-2013, 07:29 PM
What gets me is why do you authoritarians wish to remove options I may wish to use?

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Last week, Republicans in the House passed a bill (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdemocrats.edworkforce.house.gov%2 Fissue%2Fhr-1406-republican-bill-upend-overtime-pay-workers&ei=tPuPUd6gD8qEiwKopYHIAg&usg=AFQjCNFbq-EbJBYnoD7hOM8TM2J5aqnz2w&bvm=bv.46340616,d.cGE) that eliminates overtime pay for private sector employees in what is a continuing GOP assault in their war on working Americans. Eric Cantor sponsored and heavily promoted the bill as a family friendly measure to “help” working mothers spend more time with their families, but the reality is it puts employees at the mercy of employers who are fed up with paying overtime wages for workers who put in more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week at their jobs.

The way Cantor promotes the bill is promising that when an employee works overtime, instead of higher wages, they can take “time off” at a later date to spend time with their families, but he never reveals that there is no guarantee the employer has to give “flex time” off, ever, because the decision of when an employee takes their “flex time” remains solely under purview of the employer who decides when a worker can use their comp time, if at all.

The bill effectively eliminates overtime pay and puts the employee at the mercy of predatory employers who can withhold “flex time” indefinitely, including when they terminate the worker meaning they worked overtime for free.

The law is also another Republican attempt to kill new jobs because without the incentives inherent in the FLSA overtime rule, employers have no reason to hire new employees to avoid paying overtime because if they have free rein to work employees 16 hours a day for minimum wage, they will not bring in new workers to save payroll expense on overtime pay; until they fire the employ to avoid giving them the time off they earned. Americans already work more hours and are more productive than any other industrialized country, and giving employers protection to reduce paychecks is a real threat because they can claim giving employees earned comp time will “unduly disrupt the operations of the employer.”

Regardless what Cantor says, his bill is meant to force Americans to work more for less pay and it is another Republican gift to the business community regardless the damage to American workers and the economy.

www.politicususa.com/house-republican-attack-overtime-pay-designed-kill-jobs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+(Politicu s+USA+) (http://www.politicususa.com/house-republican-attack-overtime-pay-designed-kill-jobs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+(Politicu s+USA+))

This for you assholes who give any benefit of the doubt that the Repugs could pass a bill that benefits the 99%.

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Pretty clear that neither policsusa.com nor boutons bothered to read the bill.

lol boutons

RandomGuy
05-20-2013, 09:17 AM
What gets me is why do you authoritarians wish to remove options I may wish to use?

Why do you wish to institute a new way for employers to cheat their workers?

Personally I don't object to it, per se, it just seems like exactly the kind of thing that sounds good in theory, but doesn't work well in practice. Kind of like communism and libertarianism.

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Pretty clear that neither policsusa.com nor boutons bothered to read the bill.

lol boutons

Pretty clear that you believe the Repugs would do anything for the 99%.

Pretty clear that you have no idea how shitty work life can be, and often is, for low-end, desperate, intimidated, working-poor hourly employees.

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Pretty clear that you believe the Repugs would do anything for the 99%.

Pretty clear that you have no idea how shitty work life can be, and often is, for low-end, desperate, intimidated, working-poor hourly employees.

Go read the bill (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr1406/text) and see how many outright lies in that garbage of a story you posted you can find.

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 09:25 AM
The bill effectively eliminates overtime pay and puts the employee at the mercy of predatory employers who can withhold “flex time” indefinitely, including when they terminate the worker meaning they worked overtime for free.

Lie.

‘(5) TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT- An employee who has accrued compensatory time off authorized to be provided under paragraph (1) shall, upon the voluntary or involuntary termination of employment, be paid for the unused compensatory time in accordance with paragraph (6).

the reality is it puts employees at the mercy of employers who are fed up with paying overtime wages for workers who put in more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week at their jobs.

Lie.

Employers can only use comp time with employee consent.

‘(2) CONDITIONS- An employer may provide compensatory time to employees under paragraph (1)(A) only if such time is provided in accordance with--

‘(A) applicable provisions of a collective bargaining agreement between the employer and the labor organization that has been certified or recognized as the representative of the employees under applicable law; or

‘(B) in the case of employees who are not represented by a labor organization that has been certified or recognized as the representative of such employees under applicable law, an agreement arrived at between the employer and employee before the performance of the work and affirmed by a written or otherwise verifiable record maintained in accordance with section 11(c)--

The law is also another Republican attempt to kill new jobs because without the incentives inherent in the FLSA overtime rule, employers have no reason to hire new employees to avoid paying overtime because if they have free rein to work employees 16 hours a day for minimum wage, they will not bring in new workers to save payroll expense on overtime pay; until they fire the employ to avoid giving them the time off they earned.

Lie.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Go read the bill (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr1406/text) and see how many outright lies in that garbage of a story you posted you can find.

Ah, the power of the moonbat RSS feed. :lmao

RandomGuy
05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Employers can only use comp time with employee consent.

‘(i) in which the employer has offered and the employee has chosen to receive compensatory time in lieu of monetary overtime compensation; and

‘(ii) entered into knowingly and voluntarily by such employees and not as a condition of employment.

Not sure how one would prove that the condition really wasn't "if you don't sign this, you're fired" or "if you don't sign this, you don't get overtime, and we will find someone who will sign it".

Seems to me it would be very easy for employers to simply impose it de facto, leaving employees with little recourse.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Seems to me it would be very easy for employers to simply follow the applicable law.

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
"employers to simply follow the applicable law"

when it suits their profits, else, the law can fuck itself.

ANY bill by the Repugs must always be suspect of being anti-poor, anti-99%, ie, there's something else, some loophole, in there.

You righties keep spinning the letter of the bill, but it's the spirit of the employers that counts, due to the imbalance of power between employer and low-end employees.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 01:33 PM
lol simpleton.

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
TB :lol got NUTHIN to say

List all the great bills, amendment for the 99% the Repugs have proposed or passed in the last 15 years.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Did you get that from politicsusa?

They've also, apparently, got nothing to say.

Keep on keepin' on, no content bot.

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Not sure how one would prove that the condition really wasn't "if you don't sign this, you're fired" or "if you don't sign this, you don't get overtime, and we will find someone who will sign it".

Seems to me it would be very easy for employers to simply impose it de facto, leaving employees with little recourse.

The employer would be breaking the law. Employees would have the same legal recourse as they would if an employer tried to force them into working for less than minimum wage.

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 01:56 PM
"Employees would have the same legal recourse"

yeah, right, low-end hourly employees desperate to hang to a shitty paying job have the balls and funds to go hire a lawyer. For those employees, the employer-employee relationship is assumed to be adversarial, not collegial.

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 02:09 PM
"Employees would have the same legal recourse"

yeah, right, low-end hourly employees desperate to hang to a shitty paying job have the balls and funds to go hire a lawyer. For those employees, the employer-employee relationship is assumed to be adversarial, not collegial.

As many lawyers as we've got in this country, finding one willing to work on contingency for an opportunity to sue an employer for a blatant FLSA violation wouldn't be hard.

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 04:05 PM
As many lawyers as we've got in this country, finding one willing to work on contingency for an opportunity to sue an employer for a blatant FLSA violation wouldn't be hard.

give a try and let us know how it works.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 04:22 PM
lol affirming the consequent.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2013, 04:45 PM

There is a huge billboard on I-10 near crossroads right now with this guy trolling for overtime cases.

coyotes_geek
05-20-2013, 05:40 PM

:lmao

Great idea. Now we just need to wait until my employer feels like breaking the law and screwing me over. Updates to be posted here. Check back regularly.

Where, oh where could I ever possibly hope to find a lawyer willing to sue my employer? (http://www.google.com/search?q=overtime+lawyer&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7#sclient=psy-ab&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-SearchBox&q=unpaid+overtime+lawyer&oq=unpaid+overtime+lawyer&gs_l=serp.3..0j0i22i30l2.51558.57361.0.57720.35.20 .0.7.7.6.577.4008.0j14j3j5-2.19.0...0.0...1c.1.14.psy-ab.leKyM98gKU8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmQ&fp=4219509d48ef99d9&biw=1440&bih=695)

ploto
05-20-2013, 06:38 PM

So, in summary:

3. 160 hour cap

Company closes 1 day prior to when they have to pay all these employees for the unused comp time.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Generally, when a company closes, everybody loses.

DMX7
05-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I would love some of this, but I'm classified as a "professional"; therefore I don't get overtime for my crazy # of hours worked.