PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner, anyone else noticed?

manu
05-15-2013, 10:20 AM
After hitting his single 3 pointer, Bonner got owned by every Warriors player that easily scored on him in the next 3-5 plays or so, not sure.
Mark Jackson gave the ball to whomever Bonner was guarding, and they would get an AND1 or simply score over the Red Mamba with ease.

That's when GSW made their run, i forget which quarter. But seriously though, hope it doesn't happen again.

DarrinS
05-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Bonner's suckage doesn't go unnoticed

Fabbs
05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I did.
Killed the momentum the Spurs has built up in the 1st qtr and start of 2nd.
Graded way too high in the grade thread.

Fabbs
05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Bonner's suckage doesn't go unnoticed
:lol nicely put.

Dex
05-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Noticed? That's just Playoff Bonner being Playoff Bonner. Any hopes of him breaking that stigma have been lost in this series, after he performed relatively well against the Lakers of all people.

Despite his made three, he was terrible last night. Slow on rotations, soft in the post, fouling on shot attempts. He even let Richard fucking Jefferson get an and-one over him.

The Neal/Bonner duo literally had me yelling at the TV last night.

#2!
05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry are you talking about game 5, or every game Matt Bonner has ever played?

BAH-ZING!!

jermaine
05-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Bonner spreading the floor will be needed in any other series this yr! Especially against Memphis

silverblk mystix
05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
After hitting his single 3 pointer, Bonner got owned by every Warriors player that easily scored on him in the next 3-5 plays or so, not sure.
Mark Jackson gave the ball to whomever Bonner was guarding, and they would get an AND1 or simply score over the Red Mamba with ease.

That's when GSW made their run, i forget which quarter. But seriously though, hope it doesn't happen again.

Where have you been the past five years?

This has been going on for years and years. Boner enters game- opposing team iso's him and scores at will with Boner standing there with his hands pointing straight up. Bonner can make mistake after mistake after mistake...Pop won't even blink.

Hit 1 - 3 pointer and give up double the points....1 - 3 ptr - give up double....

bluebellmaniac
05-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Was there a difference? I don't think there was any mention of it on the game thread. Weird that someone would mention it now.

rold50
05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
At least he's making his shots. Bonner before this year can't make any three in the playoffs and also gives up points on the other end.

Mugen
05-15-2013, 11:03 AM
RJ got an And 1 on Bonner. Nuff said tbh.

Spur-Addict
05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Noticed? That's just Playoff Bonner being Playoff Bonner. Any hopes of him breaking that stigma have been lost in this series, after he performed relatively well against the Lakers of all people.

Despite his made three, he was terrible last night. Slow on rotations, soft in the post, fouling on shot attempts. He even let Richard fucking Jefferson get an and-one over him.

The Neal/Bonner duo literally had me yelling at the TV last night.

The intensity of the Laker series was non-existent, therefore Bonner had no issues performing adequately. So I can't even count that as a "Playoff Performance" for Bonner. It was more along the lines of 4 regular season games in a row, especially with that battered roster.

Johnny RIngo
05-15-2013, 11:10 AM
The intensity of the Laker series was non-existent, therefore Bonner had no issues performing adequately. So I can't even count that as a "Playoff Performance" for Bonner. It was more along the lines of 4 regular season games in a row, especially with that battered roster.

It doesn't count as a playoff performance because the Lakers were never a playoff team. They cheated their way those last couple of weeks. We should have been playing the 7th seeded Rockets in the first round(with OKC playing the 8th seed Jazz). LA had no business being there.

Spur-Addict
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
It doesn't count as a playoff performance because the Lakers were never a playoff team. They cheated their way those last couple of weeks. We should have been playing the 7th seeded Rockets in the first round(with OKC playing the 8th seed Jazz). LA had no business being there.

:lol Whether or not that is true, I cannot speak on. I didn't watch an abundance of the Laker regular season games down the stretch.

But i'm happy we did end up with the Lakers in the 1st round because we needed guys to get rest. G.S and Houston are a bit similar in their use of small ball, so we may have dropped a game, possibly two in that series without having our usual depth.

SouthernFried
05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I thought Bonner and Splitters interior Defense, when Duncan was not on the court...was about as bad as I've ever seen. I've seen better interior Defense in pickup games. They looked totally lost.

picnroll
05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Jackson just copying a page from Rasheed Wallace's play book.

jbspurs
05-15-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry are you talking about game 5, or every game Matt Bonner has ever played?Wrong quote sorry!

jbspurs
05-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Bonner spreading the floor will be needed in any other series this yr! Especially against Memphis

:bang:bang

freetiago
05-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Bonner was responsible for Landry going off
he either didnt rotate to help Splitter or he bent over/made soft as fouls and Landry got and 1s or open dunks

HarlemHeat37
05-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Mark Jackson isn't a good coach, but he's making smart, simple decisions..elite coaches like Pop often outsmart themselves, which is a detriment at times..

Jackson has decided to attack Parker, Neal and Bonner on defense, which has obviously benefited the Warriors..

Pop decided to double Barnes early in the series, which killed the Spurs, since it allowed their shooters, particularly Thompson, to get an abundance of open looks from range..

Pop finally realized and stopped doubling Barnes, letting him go off, which hurts the Warriors offense, even when he's scoring, tbh..

Now, if he keeps going to Joseph and Diaw instead of Neal and Bonner, this team could be going places, tbh..

I actually agree that Bonner would be more useful against Memphis btw, although I still don't want him on the floor..his lack of athleticism is emphasized against the Warriors..watching him run and jump after loose balls is painful..

jbspurs
05-15-2013, 01:10 PM

LOL! Bonner plays "Pretend defense". Moves his hands to pretend he's really playing D and try to block shots by jumping away to avoid contact instead of jumping straight up.

DMC
05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Bonner has "fake hustle". He doesn't have a choice. He goes through the motions like a paint by number artist. He runs from the baseline to his spot on the inbounds play, touches his spot, then runs out and joins the action. I have no fucking idea what's going through his autistic mind.

slick'81
05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
U mean did we notice bonner is useless come playoff time yeah old news

spurraider21
05-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Bonner did well in the Lakers series because their bigs refused to meet him at the 3 point line, and the Lakers stupidly let Gasol sit around the free throw line, so Bonner wasn't asked to do a whole lot more than stand there with him, or hack the shit out of Dwight if he ever touched the ball. Against the Warriors, he is being forced to play defense. IMO the only matchup he should be on the floor for is if somebody like Ezeli is playing.

SenorSpur
05-15-2013, 01:32 PM
This is getting to be an old story. Bonner is a momentum-killer for his team and a momentum-starter for the opposition. Barnes muscled him for baskets in Game 5. David Lee did it Game 1. It really doesn't matter who he's guarding, they're going to go off. Why this guy keeps getting minutes, and why he's even still on this team for that matter, is beyond me? The fact that he had success against the Fakers illustrates just how bad they really were.

Bonner perfectly embodies the overall flaws of this roster, as he is exactly the opposite of what the Spurs need from a PF - soft, timid, unaggressive, poor rebounder and defender and playoff-choker. The Spurs would be a more stout team if they had another reserve player, who is the antithesis of Bonner. I just hope this is the last season of this failed 7-yr experiment and the Spurs finally rid themselves of this guy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2013, 02:17 PM

Not really. We already saw what Hollins will do with Bonner out there once, and it wasn't pretty. Memphis won't even guard him, they can run him off the line with any sort of rotation out to him.

Dude is a scab in the playoffs.

Raven
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM

it was a bad call though, bonner was late, but he jumped straight up, it shouldn't have been called imho.

Solid D
05-15-2013, 03:24 PM
The biggest difference this postseason for Matt over previous postseasons is his shooting percentages.
2013 Playoffs 61.5% 3-PT FG% & 51.9 FG%
Career Playoffs 36.7% 3-PT FG% & 39.8% FG%.

sananspursfan21
05-15-2013, 03:33 PM
it's so funny how a thread like this is started about once a week by someone who acts like it's the first time the topic has been brought up. new material please :wakeup

thOOdee
05-15-2013, 03:33 PM
its simple with bonner, if he misses or is too much of a panzy to shoot, get his ass on the bench. its not a coincidence that the spurs won and he played the least minutes of the series.

UZER
05-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I seriously almost changed the channel when he checked in. I love the Spurs but I cant stomach when he's on the court and that Pop continues play this dude year after year for all the reasons that have already been exhausted on here.

Mugen
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
it was a bad call though, bonner was late, but he jumped straight up, it shouldn't have been called imho.

Bonner would never get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to those type of calls. That's part of the reason why he's a huge defensive liability.

Libri
05-15-2013, 05:48 PM

:lol

Obstructed_View
05-15-2013, 05:54 PM
The lack of basketball knowledge on this forum is astounding at times. Bonner is actually an above average defender at the least; actual statistics prove that rather than opinions by Stans on the internet.

You proved the first sentence with the second. :lol

Poolboy5623
05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Here's a piece to add to this Bonner gem....I watch the game closely...very...last night I noticed, as soon as Bonner came in(2nd half), and lined up(during ft attempt by spurs)..the guy he would be guarding(rookie from mi st..can't remember his name, cause he hasn't done much since games 1/2), literally put his hand up in the air, pointing down at Matt( lined up next to him) . He was basically telling everyone on his team, he's guarding me, my turn on O...I couldn't help but feel bad for Matt at that time. I'm not a hater, just wish pop a wouldn't use him in certain situations, as most do on here.

therealtruth
05-15-2013, 06:09 PM
I have to applaud Jackson for attacking Bonner and Neal. Hopefully it helps Pop to see that those guys are not rotation worthy for a championship level team.

ironman2886
05-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Bonner can't block shots, and doesn't have quick feet. He can defend average post players though.

ALVAREZ6
05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Bonner has "fake hustle". He doesn't have a choice. He goes through the motions like a paint by number artist. He runs from the baseline to his spot on the inbounds play, touches his spot, then runs out and joins the action. I have no fucking idea what's going through his autistic mind.
LMAO so true...Bonner reminds me of the 12 year old kid that, in attempt to stay in the game longer, tries to show his dad or coach some hustle but doesn't yet realize how to use it. Whether or not the added effort is truly effective doesn't quite matter, but rather the appearance of trying hard. He seems to have no understanding of how he could apply his body and effort in a more beneficial (really a less-disastrous) way. None of this may be true and it may just be he is fully aware but severely uncoordinated, but that would seem unlikely given how well he can shoot an NBA 3. It's baffling to say the least when you see professional athletes like this.

superjames1992
05-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Bonner can't block shots, and doesn't have quick feet. He can defend average post players though.
Bon Bon actually blocked quite a few shots in the Lakers series, tbh. :lol

This is not Bonner's ideal series. He can't match up well with their smaller players and shouldn't get much burn. He actually seems to be pretty decent against other true bigs these days, though, tbh. He did good work against Dwight and Pau.

lil'mo
05-15-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry are you talking about game 5, or every game Matt Bonner has ever played?

BAH-ZING!!

:rolleyes

no

Spur Bank
05-15-2013, 09:59 PM
literally put his hand up in the air, pointing down at Matt( lined up next to him) . He was basically telling everyone on his team, he's guarding me, my turn on O...I couldn't help but feel bad for Matt at that time. I'm not a hater, just wish pop a wouldn't use him in certain situations, as most do on here.
I often wonder if this is why Bonner's defensive stats are so good -- it seems like the players he guards often try to run isolation plays on him, which I hope you all know is one of the least efficient plays in basketball. Points are best scored with ball movement, and when a player tries to post Bonner up, ball movement stops. It's a poor offensive strategy.

Spur Bank
05-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Oh, and LOL at the thread in general.... only Bonner could shoot .615 from 3, have the 5th highest win shares per 48 on the team, by faaaaar the highest offensive rating, an average defensive rating, and still get bitched about by Spurstalk. :lol

james evans
05-15-2013, 10:15 PM
whenever him, parker, or neal are on the floor, players attack them on the regular. at no point should all 3 of those guys ever be on the floor together. easily one of the worst defensive lineups in the league.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-15-2013, 11:21 PM

Yup, I noticed and was screaming about it in the game thread at the time. Why the fuck Pop doesn't just give all his minutes to Boris I'll never know. Bonner and Neal singlehandedly gave up most of the lead the starters built.

LittleCriminal
05-15-2013, 11:27 PM
I wish Pop could see what we've been seeing for years....
I wish We could see what Pop has been seeing for years...

Poolboy5623
05-15-2013, 11:35 PM
I often wonder if this is why Bonner's defensive stats are so good -- it seems like the players he guards often try to run isolation plays on him, which I hope you all know is one of the least efficient plays in basketball. Points are best scored with ball movement, and when a player tries to post Bonner up, ball movement stops. It's a poor offensive strategy.

It's a poor offensive strategy, unless being guarded by Matt Bonner. Look, I like Bonner...he hustles and plays as hard as he can but he's a defensive nightmare against good teams.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Prove it.

2011, round 1.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2013, 05:43 PM
:lol per 36.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2013, 05:47 PM

kuato
05-16-2013, 06:00 PM
This is happening since Bonner is a spur. But he must be a very good guy :rolleyes

Blake
05-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Ohhhhh look. A Bonner bashing thread!

Spur Bank
05-16-2013, 07:11 PM
2011, round 1.
LOL indeed!

It'd be bad enough that you'd try to "prove it" by citing a single series, but that you chose a series where he was good makes it extra laughable. Bonner was one of the best players on the team in 2011, round 1.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2011.html <-- Scroll down to "Playoffs Advanced" and have a look around.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 12:40 AM
LMAO and they were a 1 seed that got beat by an 8 seed, with everyone he checked looking like an all-star. "but look at my per 36 numbers" lol