PDA

View Full Version : 31.35%

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 12:01 AM
That's the 3 point percentage the Grizzlies shot in their last 4 games against OKC.

Yes, they have two great post players, however they are NOT a good perimeter shooting team. If Conley's penetration is limited their offense basically boils down to what ZBo can create out of the post. I can live with that. Heck, just leave him single covered and shut everyone else down on the team if that's what it takes. We definitely have the ability to stop anyone on their team effectively outside of Randolph.

Provided we get past Golden State, I actually really like the matchups the Grizzlies present for us. We have a lot of lengthy, fast wings who are going to be able to double down and still manage to get back out on the perimeter to get a hand in the guard's face. We also have a number of bodies to throw at ZBo. We might even consider playing zone just to give him a few different looks.

Beat the Warriors then gear up for this.

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 12:04 AM
If we get past GSW, DON'T FUCKING DOUBLE!!! Also No Neal/Bonner/Blair

SpurPadre
05-16-2013, 12:04 AM
That's the 3 point percentage the Grizzlies shot in their last 4 games against OKC.

Yes, they have two great post players, however they are NOT a good perimeter shooting team. If Conley's penetration is limited their offense basically boils down to what ZBo can create out of the post. I can live with that. Heck, just leave him single covered and shut everyone else down on the team if that's what it takes. We definitely have the ability to stop anyone on their team effectively outside of Randolph.

Provided we get past Golden State, I actually really like the matchups the Grizzlies present for us. We have a lot of lengthy, fast wings who are going to be able to double down and still manage to get back out on the perimeter to get a hand in the guard's face. We also have a number of bodies to throw at ZBo. We might even consider playing zone just to give him a few different looks.

Yeah, I agree. The Grizzlies are a better team than the Dubs but like boxing "styles makes fights" and the Grizzlies' style is easier to defend against than the Warriors shooting craze. TD won't like this matchup but Bogut is more physical than either ZBO or Gasol.

RD2191
05-16-2013, 12:06 AM
:flag:

Floyd Pacquiao
05-16-2013, 12:07 AM
:lol yea pop will prob double team and treat them like the lakers, i can already see it now if the spurs make it to wcf

Robz4000
05-16-2013, 12:10 AM

Neal could actually be huge against Memphis. Bonner too as long as he's used smartly. Hopefully Pop moves Baynes off the inactive list and replaces him with Blair

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Neal could actually be huge against Memphis. Bonner too as long as he's used smartly. Hopefully Pop moves Baynes off the inactive list and replaces him with Blair
Just no, 2011 Neal>>2013 Neal and he was horrible in 2011.
We don't need him chucking shots and giving up easy transition baskets/allowing Bayless to score career high over him

KL2
05-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Bonner did really well against Randolph when they played in 2011, it was Arthur who fucking destroyed him, he looked like a clone of Ibaka knocking down jumpers at will over Bonner.

racm
05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Predict Pop goes back to the D that beat LA. Swarm the bigs, try to get them to pass the ball out and force TOs.

dunkman
05-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Tony Allen and Conley could also disrupt the Spurs back court, though. But its still too early, the Spurs have yet to advance to the WCF.

Robz4000
05-16-2013, 12:24 AM
We don't need him chucking shots and giving up easy transition baskets/allowing Bayless to score career high over him

He won't be guarding Bayless; Memphis actually has players you can hide him on. 2013 Neal > 2011 Neal btw. Lastly, when the offense slows to a grind and the ball movement dies, Neal is one of the few bench players that can create his own offense. Against Nemphis, him chucking up a few shots, provided nothing else is working, is an allowable sin.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Tony Allen and Conley could also disrupt the Spurs back court, though. But its still too early, the Spurs have yet to advance to the WCF.

Either we lose to the Warriors or we beat them. If we lose, we won't have to worry about matchups anyway. So, what's the problem with discussing the next round? We have a pretty good idea of what game 6 in Oakland is going to look like, the matchups have already played out to an extent. There's a lot more worthy discussion in the WCF.

blkroadrunners
05-16-2013, 12:27 AM
They may not shoot the 3 ball well, but they defend it very effectively, only behind Indiana in 3FG% allowed in the regular season. Plus potential matchups of Allen on Parker or Gasol on Duncan is stifling. That series would be a slugfest.

racm
05-16-2013, 12:30 AM
They may not shoot the 3 ball well, but they defend it very effectively, only behind Indiana in 3FG% allowed in the regular season.

Spurs weren't bad in that department either

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 12:33 AM
How about we win the fucking golden state series first?

Got it. What matchups would you like to discuss regarding that series that hasn't been already beat to death? Wanna point out that Green defends Curry well, or that Duncan can get Bogut into foul trouble pretty quickly? By all means share with me information about this series that I don't already know. After 5 games I don't expect any Earth-shattering developments, so I'd like to talk about something that DOES pose some new information and interesting matchups that haven't been talked about it.

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 12:35 AM

How about you grow a pair of balls and believe in your fucking team!

Splits
05-16-2013, 12:36 AM
If Memphis shoots 37% from the field in SA, they won't win the game like tonight.

They shot 42, 40, 40, and 37 from the field in their 4 wins. That's horrible. Sure, their defense is great but the Spurs have way more weapons than RefKC. Spurs in 5

Uriel
05-16-2013, 12:42 AM
If Memphis shoots 37% from the field in SA, they won't win the game like tonight.

They shot 42, 40, 40, and 37 from the field in their 4 wins. That's horrible. Sure, their defense is great but the Spurs have way more weapons than RefKC. Spurs in 5
Overconfident Spurs fan is overconfident. :lol If we couldn't beat a worse team in Golden State in 5, how much more so the Grizzlies?

Splits
05-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Overconfident Spurs fan is overconfident. :lol If we couldn't beat a worse team in Golden State in 5, how much more so the Grizzlies?

Whose to say GS is playing worse? Memphis beat the Clippers in 6 and OKC in 5. Are you saying OKC is "worse" than the Clippers?

RD2191
05-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Grizz are 27 th in ppg. We are hopefully gonna get past the hottest backcourt in the league and the king at 3 point shooting. Memphis are pretty much the Lakers with a strong inside game and not much else. Mike Conley is good but Green has confidence on defense right now

SpurPadre
05-16-2013, 12:48 AM

Styles makes fights is the addage. The Grizzlies' style of play, while bruising, is easier to gameplan against than the Warriors' style, imo. But hopefully we can get there after tomorrow.

ezau
05-16-2013, 01:03 AM

I think it's a good idea to double either Randolph or Gasol, and let the Grizzlies beat us from the outside.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't like to discuss any matchups in the golden state series. I would like them to win game 6 before I worry about how other teams might look against us.

So you don't want to discuss Golden State, and you don't want to discuss Memphis. Why are you here other than sporting Lakers flair?

ezau
05-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Grizz are 27 th in ppg. We are hopefully gonna get past the hottest backcourt in the league and the king at 3 point shooting. Memphis are pretty much the Lakers with a strong inside game and not much else. Mike Conley is good but Green has confidence on defense right now

This

Richie
05-16-2013, 01:07 AM
OKC wouldn't double in the post, which was idiotic. Of course Memphis shot badly from 3 because they never doubled off of poor shooters like Allen and Prince. In doing it, the Thunder gave Randolph and Gasol everything they want, and they dominated.

SpurPadre
05-16-2013, 01:11 AM
I will say I'd be concerned about Splitter's soft shit offensively against their bigs. Setting screens and playing help D will be his main roles in a potential match-up but that's one area to keep an eye on.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Grizzlies would win in 6.

Spurs are going to have a very very hard time putting up points in this potential series and if Tiago gets in foul trouble we could be toast.

JingleJangleJingle
05-16-2013, 01:26 AM

Spurs are going to have a very very hard time putting up points in this potential series and if Tiago gets in foul trouble we could be toast.

Spurs just need to score 90 points and they will be in good shape...

crc21209
05-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Memphis is a really, really tough defensive team. But OKC didnt have the playmakers and plays in their playbook to beat Memphis. Running ISO plays for Durant everytime wasn't going to get it done against Memphis. While Memphis doesnt exactly have great shooters on the perimeter, they do have guys who are capable of getting hot from 3. Guys like Conley, Bayless, and Pondexter are the ones who, if given the open 3 can knock it down. The key would be to handle Gasol and Randolph on the inside and on the boards.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 01:32 AM
To educate.

Let me know when you start doing that instead of making shitty, empty, pointless posts. :lol

tesseractive
05-16-2013, 02:45 AM

What exactly are you talking about? Half the advantage of them playing guys like Allen that can't score is that it gives us a ton of room to bring the double team without leaving anyone open who can hurt us.

I mean, we could run a play that lined up Baynes in position to shoot an above-the-break 3, But why would an opponent bother sending anyone out to cover him there?

mingus
05-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Last time we faced them Conley & Battier were thorns in our side in terms of beiing threats from the perimeter. They also isod Battier and that other guy whose name escapes me in the post, which hurt us. Biggest thing though was that we relied on Duncan and the turd towers more back than than we do now defensively, which is and was a recipe for disaster against their front line. We are much better suited to beating them this time around. I think we will assuming we get there. Our frontline defense of TD/Splitter/Diaw is probably the best in the league, and that's probably the most important thing when going against them. Diaw is a highly underrated defender.

Darkwaters
05-16-2013, 03:45 AM

jGnJ0uUgJIw

I seem to remember things differently.

temujin
05-16-2013, 04:06 AM
Either we lose to the Warriors or we beat them. If we lose, we won't have to worry about matchups anyway. So, what's the problem with discussing the next round? We have a pretty good idea of what game 6 in Oakland is going to look like, the matchups have already played out to an extent. There's a lot more worthy discussion in the WCF.

Actually, the matchups are identical to the ones of the 2011 series, with the only differences of Green/Leonard/Diaw instead of Hill/Jefferson, and Prince instead of Gay.
I assume you want to limit the discussion to those, because the Parkers, Ginobilis Duncans Randolphs, Gasols etch have been discussed pretty much in the past.

How about moving ahead one round and discuss the Miami matchups: those are a real novelty.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Actually, the matchups are identical to the ones of the 2011 series, with the only differences of Green/Leonard/Diaw instead of Hill/Jefferson, and Prince instead of Gay.
I assume you want to limit the discussion to those, because the Parkers, Ginobilis Duncans Randolphs, Gasols etch have been discussed pretty much in the past.

How about moving ahead one round and discuss the Miami matchups: those are a real novelty.

So, out of our 5 starters, only 3 of them are different matchups. The game will only be 60% new players on our team this time around. With a healthy Manu and Tim Duncan thrown into the mix for good measure.

Brilliant take, chief.

Uriel
05-16-2013, 07:03 AM

Memphis' biggest strength defensively is on the interior, with DPOY Marc Gasol patrolling the paint. Our offense is predicated on floor spacing, ball movement, and perimeter shooting. It's exactly the kind of offense that's built to dismantle traditional defenses like that of Memphis'.

exstatic
05-16-2013, 07:26 AM
OKC wouldn't double in the post, which was idiotic. Of course Memphis shot badly from 3 because they never doubled off of poor shooters like Allen and Prince. In doing it, the Thunder gave Randolph and Gasol everything they want, and they dominated.

They're a pretty poor 3 point shooting team to begin with, 24th in the league at 34.5%. Just to put that into perspective, their TEAM percentage is below the average NBA PLAYER percentage.

exstatic
05-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Memphis' biggest strength defensively is on the interior, with DPOY Marc Gasol patrolling the paint. Our offense is predicated on floor spacing, ball movement, and perimeter shooting. It's exactly the kind of offense that's built to dismantle traditional defenses like that of Memphis'.

They didn't allow us our bread and butter corner threes in 2011. I don't imagine that would change this year. We'll have to create other shots. Danny Green will also have to shoot well, as he's one of the few that shoots well outside of the corner, up on the arc.

racm
05-16-2013, 07:32 AM
They didn't allow us our bread and butter corner threes in 2011. I don't imagine that would change this year. We'll have to create other shots. Danny Green will also have to shoot well, as he's one of the few that shoots well outside of the corner, up on the arc.

While the Spurs still like them corner 3s they aren't as reliant on those as they were the past two seasons IIRC. Leonard has had a few games where he's got 0 3PAs. Seems like Pop integrated more backdoor cuts and post ups this time around.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-16-2013, 07:38 AM

We're fans, not players or coaches. We don't have to focus on the series at hand. We can look as far ahead as we want and it doesn't affect the Spurs-Warriors series.

hater
05-16-2013, 07:39 AM

:tu you tell those dummies!

hater
05-16-2013, 07:42 AM
We're fans, not players or coaches. We don't have to focus on the series at hand. We can look as far ahead as we want and it doesn't affect the Spurs-Warriors series.

how can you seriously speculate on a series that is not even scheduled yet? You don't even know how Spurs will arrive at said series. You are basically wasting your time, not to mention feeling stupid if it were not to happen.

temujin
05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
The percentage of the minutes played by the new players is very similar for the two teams, and it's about 80 mmp.
Assuming that the new players will play an amount of time similar to the one they played in the RS, first and second round of PO.
Which is a reasonable assumption.
That's close to the percentage you mentioned in the title.
In essence, 65/70% of this series is old stuff.
I suspect that if one calculate points or rebounds of whatever, that percentage goes even higher, as major contributors are still around, for the four team.
You can probably verify it yourself.

More work to do, son.

Homeland Security
05-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Sounds like Sunsfan c. 2005.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-16-2013, 08:10 AM
how can you seriously speculate on a series that is not even scheduled yet?

We can speculate on anything. This is a message board. We could speculate about Spurs-Heat or Spurs-Pacers in the Finals. None of it affects what actually happens in a game.

bklynspursfan
05-16-2013, 08:14 AM
I wonder if Baynes would at least be active, if we get to this series.

DBMethos
05-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Sam Young and Greivis Vasquez aren't there anymore, so we would only have to worry about Darrell Arthur going HAM on us again.

Richie
05-16-2013, 08:21 AM
They're a pretty poor 3 point shooting team to begin with, 24th in the league at 34.5%. Just to put that into perspective, their TEAM percentage is below the average NBA PLAYER percentage.

I don't think that statistic is quite as shocking as you seem to think it is. By definition, the league average Player percentage is the same as the league average Team percentage.

TampaDude
05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
I don't think that statistic is quite as shocking as you seem to think it is. By definition, the league average Player percentage is the same as the league average Team percentage.

Exactly. :lol

Spur|n|Austin
05-16-2013, 09:45 AM
http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gifhttp://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gifIf people continue to underestimate the Grizzlies -- You're going to have a bad time.

Homeland Security
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
The Memphis Grizzlies are better-built for the playoffs than the San Antonio Spurs are and should be favored to win a seven-game series between the two teams.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Except on the perimeter we'll have to deal with the likes of Tony Allen (who did a commendable job on Durant) and Tayshaun Prince.

Spurs will be in good shape to break 80-85 let alone 90.

But man do I want them to f*ck up Memphis and get revenge!

Seventyniner
05-16-2013, 09:58 AM
jGnJ0uUgJIw

I seem to remember things differently.

Of course you do. That shot was by far Neal's most memorable moment. What you forget is that he shot 17/46 (39%) from the field and 5/19 (26%) from three for the series. A cold-shooting Neal is an absolute liability on both ends of the floor.

Dunc n Dave
05-16-2013, 10:07 AM

This is the most misunderstood stat in basketball. 33% shooting on 3's is the same as 50% shooting on 2pters.
Example: A team makes 4 of 12 (33%) 3pters and scores 12 pts. The other team makes 6 of 12 (50%) 2pt shots and scores 12 points. If you look at just %'s, you naturally think I'd rather shoot 50% on 2's, but the 33% 3 pt shooting has scored just as many points in the same number of shots.

31.3% on 3pters nets you the same number of points as shooting nearly 47% on 2pters. And if the Grizzlies never took a 3 and still shot 47% we'll be in trouble, especially with the level their defense is playing at lately.

Pack the paint and dare them to shoot the 3 is not the answer. Pondexter and Bayless can hurt us from there. Conley is not shooting it well lately (28%), but he was a 36% 3pt shooter during the regular season, so he could easily heat back up. He always seems to play with a hard on against Tony Parker. Those 3 guys need to be guarded at the 3pt line, and we can't let Tony Allen get shots in the corner.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 12:19 PM
This is the most misunderstood stat in basketball. 33% shooting on 3's is the same as 50% shooting on 2pters.
Example: A team makes 4 of 12 (33%) 3pters and scores 12 pts. The other team makes 6 of 12 (50%) 2pt shots and scores 12 points. If you look at just %'s, you naturally think I'd rather shoot 50% on 2's, but the 33% 3 pt shooting has scored just as many points in the same number of shots.

No, it isn't. Boiling down shots to the amount of points made by them is ignorant of the rest of the game.

A missed two, especially from up close, can often yield offensive rebounds for the team shooting. These can translate into easy buckets. Theoretically you could shoot 20% for the game and score every trip down the court. It's a huge exaggeration, but I'm just speaking to probabilities here.

A missed three, on the other hand, is much more damaging. It leads to letting the other team get out in transition. Transition points are nearly always easier and convert at a higher clip than those from a set offense. So yes, 31% from 3 might be the same as 47% from 2, but you have to understand that all the missed threes will lead to a much higher FG% for the Spurs.

Taking stats point blank like that often leads to a lot of holes in the analysis of a game, so you need to contextualize it.

31.3% on 3pters nets you the same number of points as shooting nearly 47% on 2pters. And if the Grizzlies never took a 3 and still shot 47% we'll be in trouble, especially with the level their defense is playing at lately.

We're a better defensive team than the Thunder, especially when they don't have Westbrook.

Pack the paint and dare them to shoot the 3 is not the answer. Pondexter and Bayless can hurt us from there. Conley is not shooting it well lately (28%), but he was a 36% 3pt shooter during the regular season, so he could easily heat back up. He always seems to play with a hard on against Tony Parker. Those 3 guys need to be guarded at the 3pt line, and we can't let Tony Allen get shots in the corner.

I really doubt we'll see Parker on Conley. He might start there, but Green or even Leonard could switch over to limit his dribble drive penetration, unless Parker is really healthy and able to stay with him around screens. Allen is a hole on offense and Prince is even worse, so it honestly boils down to 1) limiting Conley's ability to score consistently and 2) having some kind of parameter on Zach Randolph to control him. Obviously he's going to score a lot, but we need a body that he can't just bump out of the way for easy points. I'm hoping that's Diaw or Splitter with Duncan getting some minutes on him for different looks.

They have two players that essentially hide on offense and we can rotate away from as long as we pressure them a bit. That's a great matchup for us. I could even see Kawhi switching to Conley for limited possessions just so he doesn't figure out any rhythm against Green. Allen and Prince are very limited weapons.

Chinook
05-16-2013, 12:53 PM

That doesn't make sense. The Spurs should WANT the Grizzlies' perimeter players to shoot the ball. They shouldn't want to let Randolph and Gasol beat up Duncan and Splitter in the post. Doubling forces the bigs to pass and puts pressure on the smalls to make their shots. That's definitely the best way to handle the Grizzlies.

Our good friend Coach Nick hammered Brooks for not doubling until it was too late. He showed how ineffective Memphis is at handling double teams, since the bigs don't trust the smalls to make their shots.

Aztecfan03
05-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Those new players also change how the people who were here before match up. And Memphis also had Battier then. We have Splitter now.

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
That doesn't make sense. The Spurs should WANT the Grizzlies' perimeter players to shoot the ball. They shouldn't want to let Randolph and Gasol beat up Duncan and Splitter in the post. Doubling forces the bigs to pass and puts pressure on the smalls to make their shots. That's definitely the best way to handle the Grizzlies.

Our good friend Coach Nick hammered Brooks for not doubling until it was too late. He showed how ineffective Memphis is at handling double teams, since the bigs don't trust the smalls to make their shots.
1- Our bigs can hold their own, neither M.Gasol/Zbo are too strong/too quick for our bigs(unlike DH)
2- This isn't DH/D leaguers, Fat Gasol/Zbo can pass and if we leave Prince/Conley/Pondexter/Bayless open they will hit shots.
3- Grizzlies offense is shit, why force them to take good shots?

Chinook
05-16-2013, 02:45 PM
1- Our bigs can hold their own, neither M.Gasol/Zbo are too strong/too quick for our bigs(unlike DH)
2- This isn't DH/D leaguers, Fat Gasol/Zbo can pass and if we leave Prince/Conley/Pondexter/Bayless open they will hit shots.
3- Grizzlies offense is shit, why force them to take good shots?

1-It doesn't matter if they "can hold there own." Gasol and Randolph will wear then down over a long series. Guarding them one on one is asking for foul trouble.
2-Yes it is. Memphis is pretty much the Lakers (offensively) if they were healthy. The same general principles apply. Prince and Allen aren't going to beat you with threes.
3-A three isn't a good shot for them. A Randolph face-up is a good shot for them. A Gasol hook is a good shot for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwJ-gIM36U

If you go to the second half of that video, you'll see how Memphis handles double teams. Not well.

Arcadian
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
What's weird is that the Spurs are taking longer than their future opponent to finish their series. We're used to finishing first and waiting while the other series continues...

z0sa
05-16-2013, 03:04 PM
They were the worst three point shooters during the season. However they do have another option in the post besides Zbo.... Fats Gasol.

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
1-It doesn't matter if they "can hold there own." Gasol and Randolph will wear then down over a long series. Guarding them one on one is asking for foul trouble.
2-Yes it is. Memphis is pretty much the Lakers (offensively) if they were healthy. The same general principles apply. Prince and Allen aren't going to beat you with threes.
3-A three isn't a good shot for them. A Randolph face-up is a good shot for them. A Gasol hook is a good shot for them.

1- Of curse it matter, if they can there is no need to double team/their biggest advantage isn't that big
2- :lolJust no, every Memphis player can hit jumpers. Also Prince shot 40% from 3pt in the RS. And if the Lakers had Memphis D they would have won some games.
3- They shot 31% 3s, if we leave them wide open that % will increase. That's what i said, if our bigs can hold their own, there is no need to double team, let them take their shots.

Chinook
05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
1- Of curse it matter, if they can there is no need to double team/their biggest advantage isn't that big
2- :lolJust no, every Memphis player can hit jumpers. AlsoPrince was 40% from 3pt in the RS. And if the Lakers had Memphis D they would have won some games.
3- They shot 31% 3s, if we leave them wide open that % will increase. That's what i said, if our bigs can hold their own, there is no need to double team, let them take their shots.

1-It's a bigger advantage that you seem to act like it is. Duncan and Splitter aren't in the best of state right now, while Randolph and Gasol are playing well. I don't think the Spurs should feel comfortable going toe to toe with Memphis in the paint.
2-Every player ever can hit jumpers. But Memphis' players aren't three-point shooters. Those are the shots doubling leaves open, not mid range. I said on offense. Why would you bring up the defense at all?
3-First off, doubling doesn't leave shooters wide open. The defense rotates to shooters. You might act like that doesn't make a difference, but it does. Memphis shooting 31 percent from three indicates their shooters aren't good at making even semi-contested shots. Running out on them, even a little, makes a big difference. Also, Memphis' percentage increasing with more-open looks is a given. Even if they shoot 40 percent from three (which they won't), that's still not bad considering that would take away a higher-percentage shot from the bigs. Also, I don't know why you act like Memphis didn't face double teams while still shooting 31 percent from three. They just bricked wide-open shots, too.

I linked the video so you could see why what you're saying isn't correct. Memphis actually doesn't handle doubles as well as you're assuming they will for some reason.

Raven
05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
baynes must be activated, the key to the series should be diaw though.

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 03:52 PM
1-It's a bigger advantage that you seem to act like it is. Duncan and Splitter aren't in the best of state right now, while Randolph and Gasol are playing well. I don't think the Spurs should feel comfortable going toe to toe with Memphis in the paint.
2-Every player ever can hit jumpers. But Memphis' players aren't three-point shooters. Those are the shots doubling leaves open, not mid range. I said on offense. Why would you bring up the defense at all?
3-First off, doubling doesn't leave shooters wide open. The defense rotates to shooters. You might act like that doesn't make a difference, but it does. Memphis shooting 31 percent from three indicates their shooters aren't good at making even semi-contested shots. Running out on them, even a little, makes a big difference. Also, Memphis' percentage increasing with more-open looks is a given. Even if they shoot 40 percent from three (which they won't), that's still not bad considering that would take away a higher-percentage shot from the bigs. Also, I don't know why you act like Memphis didn't face double teams while still shooting 31 percent from three. They just bricked wide-open shots, too.
2- They play 2 bigs but they are completely different teams. Memphis has D to back up, Lakers had just offense, so doubling and giving them wide open shots(to a bad offensive team) isn't the best idea.
3- :lol. 40% from 3pt= 60% from 2. You are overreacting, i think it's better play one on one and see what happens, they aren't Drob/Duncan.

Chinook
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
2- They play 2 bigs but they are completely different teams. Memphis has D to back up, Lakers had just offense, so doubling and giving them wide open shots(to a bad offensive team) isn't the best idea.
3- :lol. 40% from 3pt= 60% from 2. You are overreacting, i think it's better play one on one and see what happens, they aren't Drob/Duncan.

2-I said they're pretty much the Lakers on offense. You say, "but they're defense is better." Yes, it is. But that doesn't change the fact that they're like the Lakers (not this season, but pre-SSOL) on offense, which is what we were talking about in the first place.

3-We'll definitely see what happens. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying double them all the time, or even initially. I'm sure we'll see plenty of both. If Duncan and Splitter hold up well, I think Pop would gladly play Memphis one on one as much as he can. However, if they have to double, it's not as bad as you suggested. That's more what I'm saying.

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
2-I said they're pretty much the Lakers on offense. You say, "but they're defense is better." Yes, it is. But that doesn't change the fact that they're like the Lakers (not this season, but pre-SSOL) on offense, which is what we were talking about in the first place.

3-We'll definitely see what happens. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying double them all the time, or even initially. I'm sure we'll see plenty of both. If Duncan and Splitter hold up well, I think Pop would gladly play Memphis one on one as much as he can. However, if they have to double, it's not as bad as you suggested. That's more what I'm saying.

2- They aren't, DH had to carry the Lakers while the Grizzlies is a balanced scoring team. Also i talked about defense because vs the Lakers we knew that we could score on the other end if they hit 3s, against the Grizzlies isn't that simple.
3- Fair enough, we'll see.

exstatic
05-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Tony Allen can have any damn jump shot he wants to take. He's on the floor for one reason, and it ain't shooting. :lol

exstatic
05-16-2013, 09:04 PM

Exactly. :lol

:lol True, but however you slice or state the point, they are a poor 3 point shooting team.