PDA

View Full Version : SAS v. MEM underrated matchups in our favor

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Baynes vs. Gasol. (after Pop figures out that Bonner still wont work)

CJ vs. Conley

Kawhi vs. ANYONE.

hooperflash
05-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Did I miss SAS vs GSW Game 6 ? I never miss a game! :(

Ditty
05-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Lets win game six tomorrow before we look ahead.

100%duncan

Cosigned.

letmk
Let's handle the Warriors first. I'm not confident that the Spurs will win for sure. If they win game 6 at home, all the pressure are on the Spurs for game 7.

Brunodf
05-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Man i did come here expecting some logical argument and was ready to agree with:depressed

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 12:14 AM

It's fun to look ahead. None of us are going to determine the outcome of the game tomorrow, so trying to be mentally prepared for the Warriors is kind of pointless.

Sean Cagney
05-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Finish here first please, good lord.
It's fun to look ahead.

Not really when you still have to win a series you could still lose.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Finish here first please, good lord.

Not really when you still have to win a series you could still lose.

... so you think that a post on Spurstalk is going to cause our team to lose the game tomorrow? Are a bunch of Spurs players posting to SpursTalk about this?

I'm confused. You're posting to a sports forum and actively stating that it isn't fun to discuss (very possible) hypotheticals of a playoff matchup?

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 12:25 AM
My God you all are a bunch of fucking pansies. Golden State is an excellent cinderella story, that would already have been eliminated if we started the series off at full health. Its CLEAR that we are the better team, and you all need to stop having PTSD like flashbacks. our guys just saw Memphis win and know that we need to get this WCF Dog and Pony show on the road. we're going to win tomorro. it not a matter of ifs or maybes, or "golly gee, i sure hope we do well". WE. WILL. WIN. why be a fan if youre not going to believe in your fucking team??

Splits
05-16-2013, 12:27 AM

Are you playing? What number do you wear?

playblair
05-16-2013, 12:37 AM
blair deserves pt vs grizzlies ...................... 2011 = wack wrong move benching blair for dice/bonner.........................

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 12:39 AM
blair deserves pt vs grizzlies ...................... 2011 = wack wrong move benching blair for dice/bonner.........................

This thread is about matchups that are IN our favor, old sport, i think youre in the wrong place.

Tbiggums47
05-16-2013, 12:47 AM
My God you all are a bunch of fucking pansies. Golden State is an excellent cinderella story, that would already have been eliminated if we started the series off at full health. Its CLEAR that we are the better team, and you all need to stop having PTSD like flashbacks. our guys just saw Memphis win and know that we need to get this WCF Dog and Pony show on the road. we're going to win tomorro. it not a matter of ifs or maybes, or "golly gee, i sure hope we do well". WE. WILL. WIN. why be a fan if youre not going to believe in your fucking team??

I agree...I think health has allowed this series to go on this long...When I say health I mean our health. Whenever Tiago gets back up to speed look out!

Kidd K
05-16-2013, 01:32 AM
I'm kind of disappointed Memphis won. I was hoping we'd play the Westbrookless OKC because their best three players would be their great SF, good PF, and decent SG. Since Miami in the Finals' best three players would be their great SF, good PF, and really good SG.

It'd be easier to transition from OKC to Miami, but going from Memphis to Miami is going to be like night and day. Just like going from LA to GS was, and just like going from GS to MEM will be. >_< Meanwhile Miami will be playing Indiana who is kind of similar to the Spurs, so they will be pretty prepared to play us.

Anyway. . .matchups. . .Parker is better than Conley, though Allen will probably be put on Parker for awhile. Leonard or whoever Conley guards besides Parker needs to step up and shit on him if we're to have a good chance.

I like Duncan's defense on Randolph, but Splitter is too soft to guard Gasol and Diaw is too short to, so Duncan will probably have to take him by default. Honestly, I don't think we have anyone who can stop Randolph besides Duncan who will be busy with Gasol for the above reasons. Not looking forward to that.

Manu needs to get his head out of his ass for this series if we're to win somewhat comfortably.

thunderup
05-16-2013, 01:36 AM
I'm kind of disappointed Memphis won. I was hoping we'd play the Westbrookless OKC because their best three players would be their great SF, good PF, and decent SG. Since Miami in the Finals' best three players would be their great SF, good PF, and really good SG.

It'd be easier to transition from OKC to Miami, but going from Memphis to Miami is going to be like night and day. Just like going from LA to GS was, and just like going from GS to MEM will be. >_< Meanwhile Miami will be playing Indiana who is kind of similar to the Spurs, so they will be pretty prepared to play us.

Anyway. . .matchups. . .Parker is better than Conley, though Allen will probably be put on Parker for awhile. Leonard or whoever Conley guards besides Parker needs to step up and shit on him if we're to have a good chance.

I like Duncan's defense on Randolph, but Splitter is too soft to guard Gasol and Diaw is too short to, so Duncan will probably have to take him by default. Honestly, I don't think we have anyone who can stop Randolph besides Duncan who will be busy with Gasol for the above reasons. Not looking forward to that.

Manu needs to get his head out of his ass for this series if we're to win somewhat comfortably.
Memphis gets away with hacking and imposing their will on teams they face; things Miami does. Yall be alright. Just exact revenge on those assholes from Memphis, then proceed to show Miami how a real team plays.

Sean Cagney
05-16-2013, 01:44 AM
... so you think that a post on Spurstalk is going to cause our team to lose the game tomorrow? Are a bunch of Spurs players posting to SpursTalk about this?

I'm confused. You're posting to a sports forum and actively stating that it isn't fun to discuss (very possible) hypotheticals of a playoff matchup?

No but talk about this is like planning for Miami right now when we have not passed the series at hand! I won't focus a second on Memphis until we win that 4th game.

Get the fuck outta here already, okay?

Johnny RIngo
05-16-2013, 01:47 AM

Did you watch the regular season matchups? Splitter guarded Randolph really well. More than likely, he'll guard Randolph in the Conference Finals

lefty
05-16-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm gonna laugh and cry if we dont make it to the WCF

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 01:56 AM
No but talk about this is like planning for Miami right now when we have not passed the series at hand! I won't focus a second on Memphis until we win that 4th game.

So? Why not? What is your focus doing right now? Do you think you focusing on Golden State is going to help us play better tomorrow night?

I'm just posing a hypothetical for the sake of discussion ahead of time because -- well, I like talking about sports and matchups. Shocking, I know.

Sean Cagney
05-16-2013, 02:03 AM
So? Why not? What is your focus doing right now? Do you think you focusing on Golden State is going to help us play better tomorrow night?

I'm just posing a hypothetical for the sake of discussion ahead of time because -- well, I like talking about sports and matchups. Shocking, I know.

Okay talk about the series to yourself in the mirror tonight! Got damn talk about it in your sleep!!!!!!! YES!!!!! Got talk about it all night. That doesn't make us advance now though! I will talk about reality and now! HERE AND NOW.

Chinook
05-16-2013, 02:10 AM

Strangely enough, I agree. People assume Blair struggled against Memphis because Duncan did and Blair usually struggles against size. But I don't think that is the case. For some reason, it seems to be that Randolph doesn't like going hard at Blair. (I think they're friends off the court or something.) I can't (meaning won't try, at least not tonight) prove any of that, though. If the Spurs have to put in a fourth big, I'd rather it be Blair than Bonner.

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 02:12 AM
if you didnt want to talk about realistic, probable future matchups, then why did you come post in the thread, tbh?

LittleCriminal
05-16-2013, 02:12 AM
So if Baynes is Activated for the Memphis series who on the spurs roster is put into street clothes?
The Pile of shit or The Pile of shit? (Bonner or Blair)

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Strangely enough, I agree. People assume Blair struggled against Memphis because Duncan did and Blair usually struggles against size. But I don't think that is the case. For some reason, it seems to be that Randolph doesn't like going hard at Blair. (I think they're friends off the court or something.) I can't (meaning won't try, at least not tonight) prove any of that, though. If the Spurs have to put in a fourth big, I'd rather it be Blair than Bonner.

I think we can dispatch the Grizz in 5 or 6 if we stay away from Blair/Bonner/Neal and utilize Cojo/Baynes/Diaw

phxspurfan
05-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Bain vs Fat Gasol will never happen

Chinook
05-16-2013, 02:16 AM
So if Baynes is Activated for the Memphis series who on the spurs roster is put into street clothes?
The Pile of shit or The Pile of shit? (Bonner or Blair)

De Colo's been deactivated for McGrady. I imagine McGrady would be deactivated for Baynes, if it came to that. But I doubt the Spurs would go six deep for bigs unless someone is gimpy.

Mojazz
05-16-2013, 02:16 AM
this thread is one day advance.

Chinook
05-16-2013, 02:25 AM
I think we can dispatch the Grizz in 5 or 6 if we stay away from Blair/Bonner/Neal and utilize Cojo/Baynes/Diaw

If the Spurs get lucky with their outside, shots, they'll blow Memphis out. Allen's general incompetence on the offensive end allows Green to cross-match with Conley for parts of the game if Parker struggles.

To me, the series boils down to four things:

-Green needs to play well enough to prevent a cross-match. If Conley's on him, he needs to be aggressive in trying to score. If he can draw Tony Allen for most of the game, that's a big win for the Spurs.
-Leonard needs to win his match-up. While Prince is no slouch, Leonard should be able to get the better of him. Like Green, he needs to prevent any cross-matching, but he also needs to have the stats, especially in rebounding.
-The Spurs bigs need to be able to score against Memphis'. It will be hard for him to shut them down on defense, but Splitter and Duncan need to be able to score well enough to prevent Gasol and Randolph from rotating. Diaw needs to hit outside shots, and when Gasol or Randolph is on him, Diaw should try to beat them off the dribble if they close out.
-Two-point lineup. I think we'll see some of this. The Grizzlies run Bayless and Conley together at times, and I'd like to see Pop do the same with Parker and Joseph. Cory can check Conley, which Parker can guard Bayless. This should work out in the Spurs' favor.

While I agree that the Spurs need to stay with their top eight almost exclusively, the others need to stay ready. It only takes one moment to be great. I still think Neal can have that moment. I'm not really feeling the McGrady love in this series, though. He'd be a much bigger asset against Miami.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Okay talk about the series to yourself in the mirror tonight! Got damn talk about it in your sleep!!!!!!! YES!!!!! Got talk about it all night. That doesn't make us advance now though! I will talk about reality and now! HERE AND NOW.

Why the hell would you click on a thread and then post in it if you have no interest in what the thread talks about? For fuck's sake, if you don't like the thread leave and go post in one of the 150 threads concerning the GSW series.

superbigtime
05-16-2013, 02:31 AM
I think Green is going to be the difference maker for us. Big X factor.

tesseractive
05-16-2013, 02:37 AM
If the Spurs get lucky with their outside, shots, they'll blow Memphis out. Allen's general incompetence on the offensive end allows Green to cross-match with Conley for parts of the game if Parker struggles.

To me, the series boils down to four things:

-Green needs to play well enough to prevent a cross-match. If Conley's on him, he needs to be aggressive in trying to score. If he can draw Tony Allen for most of the game, that's a big win for the Spurs.
-Leonard needs to win his match-up. While Prince is no slouch, Leonard should be able to get the better of him. Like Green, he needs to prevent any cross-matching, but he also needs to have the stats, especially in rebounding.
-The Spurs bigs need to be able to score against Memphis'. It will be hard for him to shut them down on defense, but Splitter and Duncan need to be able to score well enough to prevent Gasol and Randolph from rotating. Diaw needs to hit outside shots, and when Gasol or Randolph is on him, Diaw should try to beat them off the dribble if they close out.
-Two-point lineup. I think we'll see some of this. The Grizzlies run Bayless and Conley together at times, and I'd like to see Pop do the same with Parker and Joseph. Cory can check Conley, which Parker can guard Bayless. This should work out in the Spurs' favor.

While I agree that the Spurs need to stay with their top eight almost exclusively, the others need to stay ready. It only takes one moment to be great. I still think Neal can have that moment. I'd not really feeling the McGrady love in this series, though. He'd be a much bigger asset against Miami.

Some good thoughts.

Personally, I'd love to see stretches of Parker on Conley, Green or Ginobili on Tayshaun, and Leonard on Allen, just so Kawhi can devote almost all his attention to help defense.

Sean Cagney
05-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Why the hell would you click on a thread and then post in it if you have no interest in what the thread talks about? For fuck's sake, if you don't like the thread leave and go post in one of the 150 threads concerning the GSW series.

Why are you just getting on me damnit when others said the same shit? I mean seriously read up and see most said this! Yet you target me! No need to look ahead yet, tomorrow night maybe! YES we can talk then on this. If you look forward in a series though SHAME ON YOU!

MaNu4Tres
05-16-2013, 03:19 AM
Someone please close this thread til the WCSF is over with. Thanks.

Rapper
05-16-2013, 03:27 AM

mudyez
05-16-2013, 03:28 AM
So do you think we should play Leonard at PF to handle Miami's smallball with LeBron playing at the 4? I'd rather see Diaw for extended stretches, but when he sits KL is the way to go.

Rapper
05-16-2013, 03:28 AM
Someone please close this thread til the WCSF is over with. Thanks.

This

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 03:48 AM
So do you think we should play Leonard at PF to handle Miami's smallball with LeBron playing at the 4? I'd rather see Diaw for extended stretches, but when he sits KL is the way to go.

I actually think we should play as large as possible against Miami. I think we should bring back the Duncan/Splitter/Diaw lineup for key stretches of the game. Forcing Miami to try and play big and exploiting their post weaknesses whenever possible is absolutely the best route to go. Also, I think we'll be done with Grizz in 5 if Pop coaches his best, and our role players dont shit the bed. (Green is slowly making a believer out of me)

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 03:49 AM
This

If you dont wanna talk about the grizzlies feel free to take your services to another thread and STFU.

Paulie
05-16-2013, 03:57 AM
I'm gonna laugh and cry if we dont make it to the WCF

will_spurs
05-16-2013, 04:24 AM
Why the hell would you click on a thread and then post in it if you have no interest in what the thread talks about?

What did you contribute to this thread except bitching? I must have missed your brilliant take about the way the Spurs match-up with the Grizz.

There's a fair (and one might say healthy) amount of superstition going on on sports forums, and one of the big no-no is to talk about the next series before the current one is over. I think it plays hand in hand with the identification fans have with their team/the players: players should be focused on the current series, and so should the fans.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 04:35 AM
What did you contribute to this thread except bitching? I must have missed your brilliant take about the way the Spurs match-up with the Grizz.

There's a fair (and one might say healthy) amount of superstition going on on sports forums, and one of the big no-no is to talk about the next series before the current one is over. I think it plays hand in hand with the identification fans have with their team/the players: players should be focused on the current series, and so should the fans.

I commented more than once in my thread about the matchups and plan to do so more at length tomorrow. Want me to paste it here? I'd be more than willing to do so if that's what makes you happy.

Stabula
05-16-2013, 04:44 AM
... so you think that a post on Spurstalk is going to cause our team to lose the game tomorrow? Are a bunch of Spurs players posting to SpursTalk about this? I'm confused. You're posting to a sports forum and actively stating that it isn't fun to discuss (very possible) hypotheticals of a playoff matchup? This is obviously where Pop gets all his strategies from

Viva Las Espuelas
05-16-2013, 05:56 AM
He isn't called cry havoc for nothing :lol

Plus, ask Pop about how we square up against the Grizzlies.
/thread
/crying

rmt
05-16-2013, 06:14 AM
This thread is way premature since Spurs might still lose. BUT ...

IMO, Duncan should guard Randolph because he's a stronger rebounder than Splitter. If not, Randolph's gonna offensive rebound for a lot of put backs. Gasol is on the perimeter a lot more than Randolph and Tiago has played a lot against MG in international play. REBOUND, REBOUND, REBOUND and push the pace (so Spurs don't have to play against their set defense). Offensively, Spurs should have more firepower than MEM.

Spurs need to close out GS tonight so that TD and TP can have 2 days of rest.

Tuddy
05-16-2013, 06:24 AM
How was that not a foul on Barnes (from your sig). He's got him half across the side of the face, half across the shoulder.

Legacy
05-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Be prepared for tonight. These crazy little bitches will come out swinging full force. They are too young and too stubborn, just as The Spurs are too old and too stubborn. Let's just get this wacky-ass series over with already, please... :lmao

Legacy
05-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Spurs need to close out GS tonight so that TD and TP can have 2 days of rest.

OMG, I ssooo agree with this!! :lol

hater
05-16-2013, 07:14 AM
R u fucking kiddin me? Our series is not over yet. :pctoss

hooperflash
05-16-2013, 07:36 AM
How was that not a foul on Barnes (from your sig). He's got him half across the side of the face, half across the shoulder.

I was wondering the same thing when I saw it in real-time, Barnes with the forearm to KL's ribs is a big no-no :nope

Big Empty
05-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Should we get passed Golden State, we will be the first team in history to have a western conference championship bye.

weebo
05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Hey, why don't we also start a thread for a Spurs v. Heat Finals???

dbreiden83080
05-16-2013, 09:13 AM
If we win game 6 tonight my guess is most Spurs fans here are scared of Memphis from 2 years ago and will predict we lose..

jbspurs
05-16-2013, 10:08 AM

I like your sig.. Posterized and should've been And 1!

Embedded
05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I hope to see more of Mr. Joseph in this and the next round, when we advance.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Baynes vs. Gasol. (after Pop figures out that Bonner still wont work)

CJ vs. Conley

Kawhi vs. ANYONE.

Baynes should not see the floor for the rest of the playoffs unless we going to hack someone or up by 20+ points. He is not for these playoffs.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Should we get passed Golden State, we will be the first team in history to have a western conference championship bye.

Interesting that we would play the #8 seed, #6 seed and #5 seed and avoid the top half of bracket.

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Hey, why don't we also start a thread for a Spurs v. Heat Finals???

Its too early to predict whose coming out the east.

EricB
05-16-2013, 04:08 PM
First off, Aron Baynes is not playing, like Mcgrady. Move on.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Did you watch the regular season matchups? Splitter guarded Randolph really well. More than likely, he'll guard Randolph in the Conference Finals

Randolph cannot shoot over Splitter and it fucks his offensive game up. If Splitter gives good effort banging down low, which he has been inconsistent with, then he can dominate the matchup.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
and ffs. we are not preparing for nor playing in the game tonight. If the players don't take it one game at a time then it detracts from their preparation and effort against the warriors. When we do it, it just doesn't matter.

emanueldavidginobili
05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Randolph cannot shoot over Splitter and it fucks his offensive game up. If Splitter gives good effort banging down low, which he has been inconsistent with, then he can dominate the matchup.

Randolph will do fine against Tiago, will probably own him tbh, if ZBO can shoot over Ibaka and and do very good against him Tiago wont be a problem at all, hes going to try to bully him tbh lets see what Tiago has

buttsR4rebounding
05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Randolph will do fine against Tiago, will probably own him tbh, if ZBO can shoot over Ibaka and and do very good against him Tiago wont be a problem at all, hes going to try to bully him tbh lets see what Tiago has

Ibaka actually does not play good on-the-ball defense, especially on a guy like Randolph who has superior footwork and upfakes. Ibaka goes for the block almost exclusively and plays right into ZBo's hands. Perkins also couldn't seem to figure out that Randolph is left handed and constantly let him spin back to his left for a wide open little hook. Splitter doesn't try to block Randolph's shot. He keeps excellent position on him and makes Randolph shoot over him. This negates some of his footwork advantage. He also is adept at drawing fouls on the opposing bigs. While Randolph is playing his best ball of the season right now I am certain that the matchup with Splitter will cause his shooting percentage to go down. The key will be for the Spurs to capture a high percentage of defensive rebounds.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Fuck it...

http://www.everyjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tracy-mcgrady-spurs.jpg
It feels good to get into the western conference finals!

emanueldavidginobili
05-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Ibaka actually does not play good on-the-ball defense, especially on a guy like Randolph who has superior footwork and upfakes. Ibaka goes for the block almost exclusively and plays right into ZBo's hands. Perkins also couldn't seem to figure out that Randolph is left handed and constantly let him spin back to his left for a wide open little hook. Splitter doesn't try to block Randolph's shot. He keeps excellent position on him and makes Randolph shoot over him. This negates some of his footwork advantage. He also is adept at drawing fouls on the opposing bigs. While Randolph is playing his best ball of the season right now I am certain that the matchup with Splitter will cause his shooting percentage to go down. The key will be for the Spurs to capture a high percentage of defensive rebounds.good take, hope you're right

DJR210
05-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Typical GNSF moron bullshit thread. TC, if the Warriors end up winning this series, god forbid, you should link us to a stream of you killing yourself, tbh.

Kidd K
05-17-2013, 12:13 AM

Wasn't he slumping at the time though? I'm still having trouble trusting Splitter with important duties. :\

tlongII
05-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Memphis in 5.

Kidd K
05-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Memphis gets away with hacking and imposing their will on teams they face; things Miami does. Yall be alright. Just exact revenge on those assholes from Memphis, then proceed to show Miami how a real team plays.

Yeah dude Memphis are dickheads. Spurs will win in 5 if Parker and Ginobili actually show up. Other than the flukey shit in 2011 when Ginobili broke his elbow right before that series, Spurs have killed the Grizzlies both before and after that during the season. :)

tuncaboylu
05-17-2013, 12:29 AM
It will be a tough series. They're a very balanced team and have good defense.

Their main problem is 3 points. They nearly don't have any outside threat except Pondexter, and he is not playing more than 20 minutes in play-offs.

It will be similar to Lakers series on paper. We can focus on painted area, our swingmen would bring help when Randolph or Gasol gets the ball and can risk Tayshaun's shoots and drives.

I think we will advance after 6 games.