PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Zen Master carpet bombing Kobe Nation

spurraider21
05-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Link to full article (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-phil-jackson-kobe-20130516,0,4853067.story?page=1&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Fbasketball %2Fnba%2Flakers+%28Lakers+Now%29&track=rss)

Long story short, calls him an inferior offensive player, defensive player, and leader to MJ.

:downspin: that

Splits
05-16-2013, 12:58 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Alternative_12b1aa_4590760.gif

jeebus
05-16-2013, 01:00 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Alternative_12b1aa_4590760.gif
http://i.imgur.com/r0SGjHr.jpg

Clipper Nation
05-16-2013, 01:11 PM
"Michael was more charismatic and gregarious than Kobe. He loved hanging out with his teammates and security guards, playing cards, smoking cigars, and joking around," Jackson said in the book, which was obtained in advance by The Times.

While Jackson coached, he often jabbed at Bryant's seemingly annual appearance on the NBA (http://www.latimes.com/topic/sports/basketball/national-basketball-association-15008001.topic)'s All-Defensive team. Now we know why.

"No question, Michael was a tougher, more intimidating defender. He could break through virtually any screen and shut down almost any player with his intense, laser-focused style of defense," said Jackson, who coached Jordan to six championships and Shaq, Pau, and Horry to five.

"One of the biggest differences between the two stars from my perspective was Michael's superior skills as a leader," Jackson said. "Though at times he could be hard on his teammates, Michael was masterful at controlling the emotional climate of the team with the power of his presence. Kobe had a long way to go before he could make that claim. He talked a good game, but he'd yet to experience the cold truth of leadership in his bones, as Michael had."

If Bryant talked to teammates in his earlier Lakers years, it was usually, "Give me the damn ball," Jackson wrote.

:downspin: dat shit, Al-Quobe!

lefty
05-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Mike liked to hang out with his teammates ?

Not early in his career, he had his personal area in the Bulls plane :lol

lefty
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
:lol

"Jordan was also more naturally inclined to let the game come to him and not overplay his hand, whereas Kobe tends to force the action, especially when the game isn't going his way. When his shot is off, Kobe will pound away relentlessly until his luck turns. Michael, on the other hand, would shift his attention to defense or passing or setting screens to help the team win the game."

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2870921/burn-o.gif

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Water is wet, Jordan is a much better player than Kobe, etc.

HarlemHeat37
05-16-2013, 01:36 PM
:lol at least this wasn't as bad as the knockout punches he launched at Vino in his first book, tbh..

spurraider21
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
:lol at least this wasn't as bad as the knockout punches he launched at Vino in his first book, tbh..

true, but keep in mind that this book was written after PJ coached the Kobe-Gasol championship teams, as opposed to the Kobe that just ran shaq out of town :lol

baseline bum
05-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Examples?

whitemamba
05-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Why should we be mad, he is comparing him to the greatest player to ever play??

I dont see anyone comparing TD to MJ

:downspin:

Splits
05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Examples?

The controversy surrounding the book concerns Jackson's characterization of Bryant and treatment of the breakup. In The Last Season Jackson suggests Bryant's influence on the dissolution and labels him "uncoachable". According to Jackson, in Bryant's exit interview with him he stated that O'Neal's fate with the Lakers would affect his decision to return, saying "I'm tired of being a sidekick." Later in a phone call with Lakers owner Jerry Buss, Jackson recounts Buss's explanation of the team's preference for Bryant rather than O'Neal, of which Jackson disapproved: "It's not that I'm enamored with Kobe's character. But he is twenty-six in August. The seven years ahead are the prime years of his career....I have to serve the people who are loyal to me. My mail runs about 5-1 on Kobe to Shaq." Jackson makes his own departure sound like a mutual decision with Laker management, saying he was "at peace" with the outcome, but he recorded Buss's remark: "We're going in a different direction." But Jackson's thoughts on Bryant caused the most stir. While calling coaching O'Neal "an experience I will cherish forever," his inflammatory comment on Bryant continued to draw attention when Jackson returned for a second coaching stint with the Lakers on June 15, 2005.

HarlemHeat37
05-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Examples?

The book covers all of these subjects, in great detail:

- Phil wasn't fully surprised to hear of Kobe's rape accusations

- Kobe's defense is overrated and not worthy of praise

- Kobe was a stat-padder that didn't mind keeping games close so he could inflate his numbers

- Kobe was an angry child and still angry as an adult

- Blamed Kobe for the feud with Shaq

- Kobe is antisocial

- Kobe is selfish on and off the court

- Kobe is a money-hungry diva

- Kobe doesn't have leadership skills

- Kobe was responsible for the only fights that occurred in the Lakers locker room during Jackson's tenure

- Kobe sabotaged the 2004 Finals to get out of Shaq's shadow

- Kobe was angry that Phil said he wasn't the heir apparent to Dad Killer

AaronY
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Lol, "dad killer"..lettuce C how many dat one catches..

HarlemHeat37
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
It's a great book, btw, I highly recommend it..

AaronY
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
I pre-ordered this book and am excited, if its half as good as the last one Ill be delirious..

Splits
05-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Phil wasn't fully surprised to hear of Kobe's rape accusations

Just released footage of when Ms. Faber awoke next to Kirbs:

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Cruel+Genius_9bc9c5_4589022.gif

Clipper Nation
05-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Why should we be mad, he is comparing him to the greatest player to ever play??

I dont see anyone comparing TD to MJ

:downspin:
That's because Phil didn't coach Duncan, tbh.... he did, however, coach Dad Killer and the Rapist, hence the comparison....

Thebesteva
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
HOLY SHIT....

Jackson even talked about how the sexual-assault charges levied against Bryant in 2003 temporarily changed his outlook on the perennial All-Star.

It "cracked open an old wound" because Jackson's daughter was the victim of an assault while on a date with an athlete in college.

"Brooke expected me to get angry and make her feel protected. Instead I suppressed my rage — as I'd been conditioned to do during childhood by my parents … it left her feeling alone and unsupported. (In the end, after filing a report with the police, Brooke chose not to press charges.)

"The Kobe incident triggered all my unprocessed anger and tainted my perception of him. ... It distorted my view of Kobe throughout the 2003-04 season. No matter what I did to extinguish it, the anger kept smoldering in the background."

JamStone
05-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Michael better than Kobe? No shit. Only the most extreme and delusional Kobe fanbois don't realize and acknowledge that.

Not like Jackson is making some new, bold and controversial statement. Pretty much everyone already knows it.

baseline bum
05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
LOL, gotta get a copy of both books now.

Hemotivo
05-16-2013, 03:27 PM
:reading

LkrFan
05-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Michael better than Kobe? No shit. Only the most extreme and delusional Kobe fanbois don't realize and acknowledge that.

Not like Jackson is making some new, bold and controversial statement. Pretty much everyone already knows it.
This. But I understand why this thread exists. Kobe has been a thorn in Duncan's ass for over a decade. It's understandable tbh. :lol

lefty
05-16-2013, 04:20 PM

I thought you were a Kobe fanboy

angelbelow
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Time to download the audiobooks.

JamStone
05-16-2013, 04:36 PM
I thought you were a Kobe fanboy

I'm a Kobe fan. Doesn't mean I'm unreasonable or delusional about his status and legacy as a player.

hater
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
:lmao zenmaster

saying shit that even 5 year old half retard can conclude in 5 minutes

writing it in a "book", calling it literature and asking money for it

:lmao ppl paying for his book

lefty
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm a Kobe fan. Doesn't mean I'm unreasonable or delusional about his status and legacy as a player.
fair enough

whitemamba
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
That's because Phil didn't coach Duncan, tbh.... he did, however, coach Dad Killer and the Rapist, hence the comparison....

Sportcamper
05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
I totally agree that Michael Jordon is one of the top 10 players of all time…But lets get real…Kobe destroyed him & chased that old man out of the NBA…As far as Phil Jackson goes…He was given the privilege of coaching the Lakers and he did a good job…But quite frankly even Mike Brown would have won several championships with Shaq, Kobe, Fox, Horry, Fish and Dance Master Mark Madsen….

The Lakers will return to greatness under the leadership of Jim Buss…Time for the Old Zen Master to ride off in the sunset…Nobody cares what he has to say…:toast

whitemamba
05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
I totally agree that Michael Jordon is one of the top 10 players of all time…But lets get real…Kobe destroyed him & chased that old man out of the NBA…As far as Phil Jackson goes…He was given the privilege of coaching the Lakers and he did a good job…But quite frankly even Mike Brown would have won several championships with Shaq, Kobe, Fox, Horry, Fish and Dance Master Mark Madsen….

The Lakers will return to greatness under the leadership of Jim Buss…Time for the Old Zen Master to ride off in the sunset…Nobody cares what he has to say…:toast

:tu going ham

DMC
05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
"It was as if the other players were now his partners, not his personal spear-carriers." -Phil Jackson

Phil calling Kobe a spear chucker.

DMC
05-16-2013, 06:26 PM

You've sucked his balls so fucking dry he'd have to reconstitute them to cum again. Sure you're done with him?

Asif Ali Zardari
05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Phil is a bitter old man, angry that the Lakers didn't hire him this year, thus taking out his frustrations on Kobe. Obviously blind haters choose to ignore this and share his sentiment of biased hatred.

Michael Jordan played in the weakest era of basketball with defenses that were not advanced or sophisticated. He's ahead of Kobe because 6>5, but it's close.

Venti Quattro
05-16-2013, 06:41 PM
During his coaching career, Phil also carpet-bombed Pop's face.

Props to him for saying the truth and not sugar-coating it.

Thebesteva
05-16-2013, 11:05 PM
"Kobe was hell-bent on surpassing Jordan as the greatest player in the game. His obsession with Michael was striking," Jackson said. "When we played in Chicago that season, I orchestrated a meeting between the two stars, thinking that Michael might help shift Kobe's attitude toward selfless teamwork. After they shook hands, the first words out of Kobe's mouth were, 'You know I can kick your ass one on one.'"

lefty
05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Delusional :lol

HI-FI
05-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Shouldn't we be comparing Kobe Bryant realistically? You know, with um... Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, etc.? Guys that are actually in that same talent level?

true. but those guys never bitched their way onto the league's golden franchise, so their careers ended up much worse. Hopefully McGrady can ring with us. also, none of them had this weird need to emulate MJ, including his voice. that's some eerie shit tbh.

what's funny is how many Kobestans on here now claim "of course he's not as good as MJ, but least he's next in line". I pretty much guarantee that any Kobe fanboy was proclaiming him capable of being better than MJ a few years ago, when most of us knew he'd never reach that pinnacle. no matter how many championships, Kobe is like a shitty knockoff brand of MJ. ever since Achilles happened, now I see a lot of history revisionists.

it's funny to see that Phil repeats what we've been saying on ST, that Kobe is a crappy defender, will sabotage a team if he isn't given his due, is uncoachable, a sociopath and rapist. I still don't know why Laker fans prefer him over Magic who is a true top 5 player and good person, not a top 15 player, but to each their own.

whitemamba
05-17-2013, 06:32 PM
true. but those guys never bitched their way onto the league's golden franchise, so their careers ended up much worse. Hopefully McGrady can ring with us. also, none of them had this weird need to emulate MJ, including his voice. that's some eerie shit tbh.

what's funny is how many Kobestans on here now claim "of course he's not as good as MJ, but least he's next in line". I pretty much guarantee that any Kobe fanboy was proclaiming him capable of being better than MJ a few years ago, when most of us knew he'd never reach that pinnacle. no matter how many championships, Kobe is like a shitty knockoff brand of MJ. ever since Achilles happened, now I see a lot of history revisionists.

it's funny to see that Phil repeats what we've been saying on ST, that Kobe is a crappy defender, will sabotage a team if he isn't given his due, is uncoachable, a sociopath and rapist. I still don't know why Laker fans prefer him over Magic who is a true top 5 player and good person, not a top 15 player, but to each their own.

lol, hollywood.

HI-FI
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
lol, hollywood.
by good person, I don't mean sexually responsible. Obviously he banged tons of people and let the boys of SUnset Blvd blow loads inside of him....which unfortunately I think the DNA mutations got passed to his son.

but overall Magic will always be a better person than Kobe. and least he's a true top 10 player....

Michael Jordan.
09-21-2013, 08:19 PM

lefty
09-21-2013, 10:27 PM
http://replygif.net/i/1259.gif

DMC
09-21-2013, 10:44 PM
If Phil doesn't mention how overrated he was as a coach, it's all bullshit and he's not to be trusted.