PDA

View Full Version : ESPN already proclaiming Heat - Grizzlies NBA Finals matchup

Uriel
05-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Normally, I'm not bothered by perceived slights from the media. But this overzealous proclamation of a Heat - Grizzlies NBA Finals matchup on ESPN's front page is appalling, to say the least.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310252_10151603611427236_1176350318_n.jpg

RD2191
05-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Fuck ESPN. Those faggots can suck a dik.

J.T.
05-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Those two teams are the only ones to clinch for the conference final, meaning they are the only two teams that have a potential to meet in the NBA Finals as everyone else still has a series on right now. There's a difference between ESPN not giving the Spurs any respect, which they do a lot, and running stupid content to fill the time between when the other two series end.

superbigtime
05-16-2013, 01:05 PM
screw espn

Horry Hipcheck
05-16-2013, 01:06 PM
The article clearly puts the idea out there as a hypothetical, and who else are they going to use? Miami and Memphis are sitting at home waiting for their Conference Finals opponents.

Andthentherewas21
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
OP jumping the gun

Chinook
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Those two teams are the only ones to clinch for the conference final, meaning they are the only two teams that have a potential to meet in the NBA Finals as everyone else still has a series on right now. There's a difference between ESPN not giving the Spurs any respect, which they do a lot, and running stupid content to fill the time between when the other two series end.

Yep. Plus, it's not like it's a silly thing to wonder about.

Spur|n|Austin
05-16-2013, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't call that a proclamation..

Uriel
05-16-2013, 01:14 PM

The article clearly puts the idea out there as a hypothetical, and who else are they going to use? Miami and Memphis are sitting at home waiting for their Conference Finals opponents.

Except when you click on the link, the suggestive language used is even more audacious and stated with far greater conviction:

Title: 2013 NBA playoffs: Memphis Grizzlies and Miami Heat look NBA Finals bound
First paragraph: And our NBA Finals matchup is set

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/page/PerDiem-130516/memphis-grizzlies-miami-heat-look-nba-finals-bound

LarryDavid
05-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Except when you click on the link, the suggestive language used is even more audacious and stated with far greater conviction:

Title: 2013 NBA playoffs: Memphis Grizzlies and Miami Heat look NBA Finals bound
First paragraph: And our NBA Finals matchup is set

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/page/PerDiem-130516/memphis-grizzlies-miami-heat-look-nba-finals-bound

Read the whole article?

And suggestive language on a website to generate traffic???? Say it isn't so..

jmanu20
05-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Not sure why sports media thinks it's a done deal for the Heat to represent the East in the Finals. Indy is basically at full strength and will play the Heat every bit as physical as the undermanned Bulls did. Plus, the Heat are weakest at the 5 spot, so the stage will be set for Hibbert to have a huge series. In addition, they play great team defense and will undoubtedly have a plan to slow down Wade/LBJ.

Keepin' it real
05-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Did they also already proclaim the victor?

Cry Havoc
05-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I miss the days when Spurs fans enjoyed being the underdog.

hater
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
:lmao Spurs are not even past round 2 yet

it's the best assessment any neutral source can do

it is dumb to make an article about it, but what else would they talk about today? the potential Spurs and Pacers victories?

all this proves is ESPN has given up on Knicks and Warriors :lol bandwagoners

timtonymanurich
05-16-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm gonna LAUGH when it's Indiana vs. San Antonio.

Spurs in 6.

Budkin
05-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Wow... that is bad even for ESPN.

timtonymanurich
05-16-2013, 01:43 PM
AND George Hill is posting better numbers against stronger opponents. Paul George has been in BEAST mode all season. Pacers can beat the Heat in 6, But Spurs should beat Pacers in 6.

IMHO

timtonymanurich
05-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Thaaaaaat's because that's what Nazi Stern wants. ANY team BUT the Spurs in the Finals. Spurs can and will beat the Heat. 6-7 games easy. Timmy has MIND control over Bron-Bron. Swept his CAVS in '07

Mark in Austin
05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Maybe worry about beating the Warriors before getting your panties in a twist about finals predictions.

Budkin
05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
:lmao Spurs are not even past round 2 yet

it's the best assessment any neutral source can do

it is dumb to make an article about it, but what else would they talk about today? the potential Spurs and Pacers victories?

all this proves is ESPN has given up on Knicks and Warriors :lol bandwagoners

Can anyone post the full article for context? I would like to tweet this douchebag if it's as bad as the first part...

2013 NBA playoffs: Memphis Grizzlies and Miami Heat look NBA Finals bound

And our NBA Finals matchup is set

chrisattsu
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm gonna LAUGH when it's Indiana vs. San Antonio.

Spurs in 6.

Just imagine how much ESPN and Stern would love a Memphis/Indy final.

Poolboy5623
05-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Barkley also said Memphis is " goin to the finals"...knowing that, I like the Spurs chances..

John B
05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Just added more fuel to the fire. Go Spurs Go!

dbreiden83080
05-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah like Memphis in the finals will be a ratings bonanza..

tesseractive
05-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I miss the days when Spurs fans enjoyed being the underdog.
This.

Assuming we win and get there, I like our chances in a Memphis matchup -- I definitely think it favors us. And I don't mind in the slightest that we're being misunderestimated. :lol

The funny thing is, Spurs-Heat is probably the most promotable matchup left on the table. Two of the 10 best players of all time, the old-school champs vs. the new-school champs, LeBron gets a rematch for 2007, can the old guys make one last run, etc. I'm pretty sure that's a series they can really sell.

Budkin
05-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Just imagine how much ESPN and Stern would love a Memphis/Indy final.

Spurs/Pacers would be right up there with Spurs/Nets in terms of ratings... two former ABA teams. It would be LOL Stern.

Mouth is Bleeding
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Memphs bandwagon under way?

Next Sports Illustrated:

http://sigroup.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/21cov30rock.jpg

Budkin
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Barkley also said Memphis is " goin to the finals"...knowing that, I like the Spurs chances..

Barkley's endorsement is always a curse.

naico
05-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Who cares, it's not gonna change the way we're playing.

jesterbobman
05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Read the article. It basically goes: It looks like we have our finalists. No wait, don't be an idiot, momentum is a fickle mistress so we can't know with certainty. But here's how those teams have done to get to the Conference finals.

ohmwrecker
05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Someone must have leaked Stern's memo.

Fpoonsie
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Barkley's endorsement is always a curse.

Barkley was the only TNT Crewman to predict a Spurs W in Gm 5, AND said they'd win because Kawhi and Green would have big games.

dallasmaverickslose
05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
It was probably Stephen A. Smith's idea.

Whisky Dog
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Memphis took advantage of a very weakened Thunder team with only KD and the coachless, fundamental-less, low basketball IQ(other than Paul) Clippers. I don't think they are as good as people are making them, but hopefully they read their press. Spurs had a 1st round bye but then got the hottest team by far in the WC and have a 3-2 lead. Golden State was by far the hottest shooting and playing team coming out of round 1.

If we get to play Memphis it will be imperative that Splitter plays tough and fights on both ends of the court. If TD is himself and Splitter/Diaw can be effective against their front line I think Parker can play Connelly tough and the wings of the Spurs can do well.

EricB
05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Almost reminds you of 2005 spurs had a semi easy first round then had to scrap their way against Seattle, then a tough matchup in the WCF before facing the defending World Champions in the finals.

Stabula
05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Eh, just mindless speculation because they have nothing else to write about. Happens all the time.

MR-Clutch
05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Grizzlies fans showing respect for the spurs. Even they think the article is premature ejaculation by espn.

http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?showtopic=15824 (http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?showtopic=15824)

HemisfairArena
05-16-2013, 05:16 PM
The Memphis Grizzlie bandwagon is gonna breakdown from all the weight on it. Grizzlie, Laker, Thunder, Maverick, Rocket, Clipper, Warrior....all are gonna be on it just hoping the Spurs dont make it to the Finals. Not one of those teams fans will be pulling for us and all for different reasons...Lakers dont want Timmy to tie Kobe with 5 rings...Mavs hate us...same with Rockets and Thunder fans. Clipper and Warrior fans think we are boring and old and dont want to see us get a 5th ring because it would mean their opinion is a joke.

crc21209
05-16-2013, 05:20 PM
What do you expect? It's ESPN....that's all I gotta say. :lol

crc21209
05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Spurs/Pacers would be right up there with Spurs/Nets in terms of ratings... two former ABA teams. It would be LOL Stern.

I was thinking of this recently. A Spurs-Pacers Finals would be awesome. :lol Two former ABA teams. It would be a big FU to Stern...:lol

emanueldavidginobili
05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
If Memphis gets to the finals they're winning it all tbh

Obstructed_View
05-16-2013, 05:56 PM
The only thing I've seen on ESPN today was Kurt Rambis and Colin Cowherd agreeing that the Spurs will be in the Finals even though they're not even out of the conference semis yet. Seems rather disrespectful to both Memphis and Golden State tbh.

Captivus
05-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Reporters should not make this kind of predictions, plain stupid. Nothing to win by doing that.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2013, 06:09 PM
I just wonder why ESPN bothers trolling the Spurs' fanbase if it's so tiny that their ratings suffer when the Spurs are talked about or shown.

DJR210
05-16-2013, 07:06 PM
ABC/ESPN are so fucking stupid. This is why the Spurs in the finals rates so poorly, because the marketing "geniuses" do such a bad job of making the Spurs more appealing to watch. Fucking idiots. If the Spurs go on to play in the finals, they are gonna be forced to go back and pump up a team that they have already shit on.

Capt Bringdown
05-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Memphis and Miami look to be the best two teams remaining.

DMC
05-16-2013, 08:16 PM

This. Cannot suppose a team that's not even won the 2nd round yet.

rascal
05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah like Memphis in the finals will be a ratings bonanza..

Memphis will draw more interest than San Antonio. They are the new team in the finals. No one wants to see the same Spurs team that already has won with the same core.

rascal
05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Memphis took advantage of a very weakened Thunder team with only KD and the coachless, fundamental-less, low basketball IQ(other than Paul) Clippers. I don't think they are as good as people are making them, but hopefully they read their press. Spurs had a 1st round bye but then got the hottest team by far in the WC and have a 3-2 lead. Golden State was by far the hottest shooting and playing team coming out of round 1.

If we get to play Memphis it will be imperative that Splitter plays tough and fights on both ends of the court. If TD is himself and Splitter/Diaw can be effective against their front line I think Parker can play Connelly tough and the wings of the Spurs can do well.

Relying on Splitter for team success. lol

dbreiden83080
05-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Memphis will draw more interest than San Antonio. They are the new team in the finals. No one wants to see the same Spurs team that already has won with the same core.

Spurs have not been in the finals since 2007.. WTH is on the Grizzlies anybody knows of? Nobody.. They are just a big physical team that plays good D.. Ratings would be about the same..

SouthTexasRancher
05-16-2013, 11:38 PM
espn...lol The collective IQ of everyone who works there is 69.

Thebesteva
05-17-2013, 03:02 AM
I have a feeling David Stern is going to shaft the Spurs in the finals.....

TE
05-17-2013, 03:04 AM
I have a feeling David Stern is going to shaft the Spurs in the finals.....
God I hope not...I don't want a reason to hate the Heat tbh

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 03:27 AM
ESPN thinks Gary Neal deserves accolades for the win, more than Manu, Parker and Duncan. I don't even think they bother to watch the games.

unforeseen
05-17-2013, 03:30 AM
Shelburne does not know her basketball. I am surprised she can look past her Shrek nose.